“Purge”

Published Date: March 28th 2012
Written by: Chris Metzen & Flint Dille
Art by: Livio Ramondelli
Colours by: Livio Ramondelli
Edited by: John Barber & Carlos Guzman
Cover price: $0.99

Synopsis:

As Zeta Prime and his army of Omega Destructors destroy the City of Nyon, Orion Pax and his troops go to engage the enemy, hoping to provide cover for Hot Rod and his dissidents to evacuate to safety. Watching from afar, Megatron is impressed by the zeal of Zeta Prime with Starscream hinting that maybe the two share a more similar ideology than had been thought previously. However is it Orion Pax and his actions that Megatron is most interested.

The initial engagement doesn’t go well as despite their best efforts, they fail to bring down a single Destructor. Realising the situation is hopeless, Pax orders his men to fall back, hoping that they have given Hot Rod and his people enough time to escape.

Watching the unfolding carnage, Hot Rod and Slinger realise that they can't evacuate everyone and decide to destroy Nyon, using plasma charge that Hot Rod had planted as a last resort – better that his people die by his own hand then become fuel for Zeta’s war machine. As the charges go off, Orion realises that the whole situation has been orchestrated by Zeta and that he forced a situation where he knew Hot Rod would have no choice. Confirming this situation is Zeta himself who attacks the squad of Autobots. Combined with his superior strength and weaponary, he takes down Pax’s troops before defeating his dissenting officer.

Characters featured [in rough order of appearance]:

Zeta Prime, Orion Pax, Hot Rod, Bumblebee, Prowl, Slinger, Megatron, Starscream, Hound, Ironhide,

Notes:

The Omega Destructors are (apparanetly) mindless weaponised clones of Omega Supreme.

As in previous issue, Pax’s troops have specific roles in his squad – Ironhide is heavy weapons, Bumblebee is Sniper and Hound and Prowl are recon and diversions.

Quote / Unquote:

“Dissidents of Nyon! You have been branded Traitors to the Autobot Regime!” – Zeta Prime declares class warfare – genocidal style.

“Careful Starscream. You have no idea what I am capable of” – Megatron doesn’t appreciate the comparison to Zeta Prime.

“I’m just about done getting Blown up today” – Ironhide has better things to do tonight then die…

“It’d not about choosing the side that’s right… But the one that’s going to win!” – The Zeta Prime philosophy on how to make friends and influence people.

Review:

After the slow build of last issue, Autocracy #6 is pretty much full on action. There’s a slight feeling of Déjà vu with the Autobots battling the Omega Destructors being seen in Dreamwaves War and Peace. Still, it’s all done well and Livio’s work is vibrant and more clear than usual.

He also draws a great Zeta Prime. In previous issues, I found the Zeta design unappealing and just plain odd but seen in action, I actually get what Livio was going for. Think of the Chaos Knights & Marines from the Warhammer universe and you’ve got Zeta Prime. I’m still not 100% sold on the helmet design but the panel where he attacks the Autobots is lush.

Being such an action-based issue, there isn’t much else to this. Hot Rod gets the big emotional moment where he has to make the decision to destroy his own people rather than have them become Fuel for Zeta Primes Destructors. It’s a big moment and the writing isn’t quite up to it. It will be interesting to see how this carries over into Hot Rod throughout the series.

So this issue ends on a nice cliffhanger. Zeta has made his big play and Orion Pax looks to be caught between his former Leader and the Decepticon terrorists. Staring defeat in the face, can the future Prime rise?

Rating: 3 out of 5