PDA

View Full Version : [Prime] Movie: Predacons Rising

Aero Blade
2013-10-06, 11:46 PM
Wow, no-one else made the thread yet. Guess it'll be me :D

Well I thoroughly enjoyed watching this, and fell in love with the two predacons they brought in, Skylynx and Darksteel. However I don't recognize those names from any toys I've been looking at, so I guess I'm not gonna be picking up figures of these guys.

I have however noticed they look similar to these two (Grimwing (http://www.hasbro.com/shop/details.cfm?R=17CBB94F-5056-9047-F5D2-3E449B9C2FCD:en_US), Skystalker (http://www.hasbro.com/shop/details.cfm?R=58EB194A-5056-9047-F556-4FA6652B6965:en_US)) but I'm not sold. What do you guys think? Though I'm crossing my fingers hoping there'll be more toys that do the movie guys more justice.

Skyquake87
2013-10-07, 07:58 AM
I'm still waiting for this to pop up on YouTube so I can see it :)

I haven't been impressed with the 'Beast' theme of the Prime line. The toys are all the same (dragons that go from beast to robot by dint of just standing the beast mode up) and Predaking seems to be waved in your face by Hasbro at every turn. I doubt now that Prime has finished we'll see much more in the way of toys.

Darksteel and Skylinx have both surfaced over here in the UK - although Tesco are the only bricks and mortar stockists of the 'Predacons Rising' line and they've just cleared through the wave in which these characters appeared.

Aero Blade
2013-10-07, 05:02 PM
Darksteel and Skylinx have both surfaced over here in the UK - although Tesco are the only bricks and mortar stockists of the 'Predacons Rising' line and they've just cleared through the wave in which these characters appeared.

Know where I can find any leftovers? Or at least some links to where they used to be on sale so I can check the pics. Won't waste too much time on them if they're not too movie accurate.

In regards to the movie you should find it good, I hope. They're not beating you over the head with the beast theme, the main plot actually revolves around a different enemy, but the beasts do get involved.

Skyquake87
2013-10-08, 08:45 AM
Sky Lynx

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_30?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=transformers%20beast%20hunters%20sky%20lynx&sprefix=Transformers+Beast+Hunters+Sky%2Caps%2C392&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atransformers%20beast%20hunters%20sky%20lynx

Darksteel

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Beast-Hunters-Exclusive-Predacons/dp/B00E0UTO9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381221922&sr=8-1&keywords=transformers+beast+hunters+darksteel

I shall endeavour to watch the movie shortly!

Terome
2013-10-08, 12:57 PM
I watched it. It was okay! At times it felt like a joyless checklist of Epic Things That Have Happened Before In Transformers. It seemed like it was structured almost exactly like a musical only with fights happening instead of songs. Its best bits were the quieter moments.

Oddest thing was that Ratchet seems to have been born again at some point.

In the end it was a nice send-off to the cast of a reasonably enjoyable and occasionally impressively directed show for serious-minded twelve year olds.

Though boo to that last bit with Shockwave. Cowards!

Aero Blade
2013-10-08, 01:08 PM
Sky Lynx

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_30?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=transformers%20beast%20hunters%20sky%20lynx&sprefix=Transformers+Beast+Hunters+Sky%2Caps%2C392&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atransformers%20beast%20hunters%20sky%20lynx

Darksteel

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Beast-Hunters-Exclusive-Predacons/dp/B00E0UTO9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381221922&sr=8-1&keywords=transformers+beast+hunters+darksteel

Yup, they appear to be nothing more than repaints of the other two, but the new color scheme is a lot more appealing to me than the green and blue used original on their first molding.

Skyquake87
2013-10-09, 08:22 AM
i has watched this. And, yeah, I'd go with Terome's verdict of 'it was okay'. Just a very long episode of the TV show.

It really did feel to me a like a checklist of epic Transformers moments. Whilst that's probably down to Orci and Kurtzmans fanboy credentials, it also reminds me that sometimes these kinds of fans are the worst people to helm a show by simply playing to the crowd and jamming together a bunch of 'cool things fans would like to see'.

In keeping with the rest of Prime, it was visually impressive and well acted with some good character moments in quieter bits, but just displayed a lack of imagination and riffed on what now feel like very tired Transformers concepts.

If I were new to Transformers, I think I probably would have found Prime a lot more enjoyable because what it has done is pretty much boil down a lot of the disparate elements of the franchise and form a cohesive history of the Transformers. By the same token though it has felt like someone animated Hasbro's 'bible'. It just lacked that spark of originality for me and i didn't feel there was enough new or envelope pushing about the show.

There were some things I didn't particularly care for. Clearly, death in war isn't something kids TV can get away with anymore, so it was disappointing to see Shockwave miraculously survive his mauling. Likewise, the three Predacons all look to have been killed off only to turn up later. Even knockout's defection (probably off the back of his apparent popularity - he and Arcee have been my favourites) fell a bit flat. Again, despite the best efforts of Bumblebee, the Autobots seem utterly useless without Optimus leading them which I really cannot stand. It always bugs me that the good guys in any kids fiction are presented as a 'team' but are generally f**king useless without someone to lead them. Its a really bizarre message to put across to viewers and shows that the good guys are as bad in their own way as their enemies. There seems little to separate them from the dictatorial or absolute leadership structures of their enemies - so why do they find their opposites so distasteful? Is it because their enemies and their underlings are free to persue their own agendas and have a level of freedom that the lower tier Autobots can only dream of? Is it to show kids that you are best being told what to do by those in authority because they know whats best?

...I think I am too old to be watching cartoons now.

I dunno, I like kids telly to be a bit more thoughtful and considered than just playing out the same well worn tropes. The world isn't a black and white place, so why show it as such? Knock Out being the example of this - a quite well adjusted, if vain individual in the apparent 'bad guys' corner, but it wouldn't do to leave him on the side of the demons so he gets a hasty re-write to join the good guys at the eleventh hour. Boo.

Aero Blade
2013-10-09, 01:12 PM
Wow, such a hate fest. I genuinely liked this.

Perhaps my criteria for judging cartoons isn't so harsh as some of the rest. My brain seems to take in to account that 'yeah, I'm looking at what is essentially a kid show' and factor that in when watching it.

Did I enjoy watching it? Yes.

Did it make me laugh at some point? Yes.

Did what the characters do and how things turn out make reasonable sense? (keeping in mind that they still have to pass the censors and tv ratings board...) Yes.

So long as everything added together still generally boils down to me having fun seeing it, I score that as good.

As Shockwave goes, yeah I agree he could've been a bit more mangled (though the ratings board probably wouldn't let them get away with energon dripping from him everywhere) but his survival doesn't seem out of place to me. Unicron was spurring on his troops pretty soon after to get on the move, so Shockwave was likely forgotten in the shuffle very quickly. And not many of those terrorcons really had much in the way of teeth or claws to begin with. Kinda hard to gum your prey to death in only a few moments.

As the Predacons go at the well, I don't see how you thought of them as dying at that part, they were shown being caught up in the flow of bodies, but I could see how that might get missed. Again we had Unicron spurring them on to their target, the rest of those peons in the way might as well have been paperweights. They just shoved through the predacons, not bothering to stop to attack them.

As Knock out goes... honestly, does anyone really perceive him as being much of a Decepticon to begin with? He strikes me as someone who was an aristocrat before the war, and got caught up in the con side somehow or possibly even conscripted. We've seen many times already he's most interested in saving his own skin, and at one time that probably meant working with the cons. Now that the opportunity presented itself, he jumped over to the bots. Given the right situation, he'd probably flip-flop again. Whatever saves his finish. And that's why I love him.

Oh well, that's my two cents. Two OKs and one Great for the movie so far, still makes it worth seeing if you haven't yet.

Terome
2013-10-13, 02:17 PM
Oh, that's not to say that I don't think it would be perfect for the target market. I was a serious-minded twelve year old myself once. This would have blown my tiny mind, just like how all the guff in the Furman comics once did.

But even then I probably would have preferred that Shockwave was killed. Show some steel, producers!

Skyquake87
2013-10-13, 02:35 PM
likewise, I think if I were new to Transformers, I think I would have found Prime amazing. I do enjoy it, but too often I've found it to be the sum of its parts.

Still, it is the first time Transformers has had a coherent narrative for the first time!

HotShot81
2013-10-21, 02:32 PM
I am speaking from personal experience here.

It was hard to find in any format in my area. DVD, or Bluray.

In a way they did some decisive things with it.

They "killed" Optimus Prime. Given how many times he's gone farming I would suspect he'd bad back in what I'd call Prime II.

They proved Optimus was right about change given how even Megatron said it's over. He was done being evil. I really suspect that if there is a Prime II, that Megatron won't be back, or if he is, he might be on the side of the Autobots. I mean if Magneto can work with the X-Men who says Megatron can't work with the Autobots.

What I hated about it, is the weak cliff hanger, its like they couldn't make up their minds. Yes, Megatron ended the Deceptions. But with Starscream and Shockwave still free, Predaking getting more followers. I wish they had been more upfront with the future of Prime.

I am going to leave one of the things that irked me. The fact that on the DVD you don't have a chapter selection which is useful given how sometimes you want to watch a DVD, but then life kicks in, or in my case an 80 lbs dog who wants walks all the time.

Skyquake87
2013-10-21, 09:12 PM
Yeah I didn't get or feel the need for the business with Optimus. It came out of nowhere and felt like 'must do something noble and heroic with Optimus after he's spent most of the time in space searching for a technowatsit'.

I liked Megatron's light bulb moment at the end, which was quite tidy. I can't honestly see Shockwave being fussed, he seems too much of a dull yes man to start anything and Starscream would stuggle to mobilize the Decepticons - the Vehicons hardly seemed willing to follow his lead at the best of times. Maybe if they'd stuck with portraying Starscream as a credible threat, rather than the cowardly squealer he ended up as, cos its like his geewun self and thats so awesome.

Predaking probably just wants a mate :)

Paul053
2013-10-23, 05:08 PM
Finished it last night with the family. Below is the list of their feedback. I will save mine, though.

Wife:If this is the end, why don't they show more details of what happened to them after? Like what happened to Starscream instead of just curling there and screaming. Are you sure there will be no more?

Daughter: I don't like the ending. Oh, Knock Out is so funny.

Son: Are you serious? Is this it? Is this it? Daddy, I want Darksteel toy.

Ok, ignore the toy part. So generally they don't feel like this should be the end of this Prime series. This movie is not bad, but deep down in me, I still like the '86 movie much more.

Aero Blade
2013-10-23, 07:13 PM
Technically the Prime series as far as characters and animation style isn't over, there's going to be a new series coming up that sequals this.

Why not just continue this series? Well very soon Prime would've reached the number of episodes needed to put it into syndication, and then, well, they have to raise the pay of the voice actors.

So yeah, ending the series to save a few bucks, and simply start a new one. There is definitely more on the way.