PDA

View Full Version : Generations Voyager Springer - UK release?

Rack 'n Ruin
2013-10-15, 12:27 PM
Afternoon all.

I've been patiently waiting for a release of Generations Voyager Springer (the new IDW inspired one) in the UK for some time now. It is a long time since it was released in the US and elsewhere, and I'm getting more and more concerned that it may be skipped. FoC Grimlock and Soundwave have only appeared in the last few weeks, after all, and with TF4 toys looming in (I guess) spring 2014 I can see Generations getting the squeeze.

Will Springer get a release in the UK? What is your opinion?

Denyer
2013-10-15, 07:11 PM
TRU our way have had Grimlocks and a few Soundwaves for ages -- so I assume they're packed together. Unless that stock clears, doubt that re-stock will include Springer.

However, I wasn't expecting the Megatron/Bumblebee/Trailcutter/Orion wave, and that did show up. As did some of the slightly later FoC deluxes.

Wouldn't over-estimate TRU interest in TF4 though. They don't care about having Prime, TF3, Beast Hunters, FoC, Masterpiece, etc. out together and three films in it's got to be diminishing returns for them.

Springer's worth a little bit of a premium.

Skyquake87
2013-10-16, 07:29 AM
I have been waiting for a UK release too. Sadly, I don't think there's much chance of him showing up. Generations is a TRU exclusive so it'll be down to the FoC stock selling through. Which wont be anytime soon. I wish Hasbro were a little more considerate to their global markets. Smaller territories like us can't swallow all this product, a better assortment might help sales and stop a lot of the remaindering we've seen in recent years. Likewise, it seems unlikely that Beast Hunters Shockwave is going to show up over here in any form as he presumably ships in a case by himself (BH Ultra Magnus has had a very brief showing at UK retail, if you were quick enough to catch Tesco's recent fire sale) Running multiple lines concurrently probably makes it easy for retailers to choose what to stock 'yeah, we'll take the stuff supported by a tv show/ film, thanks' with only larger retailers taking a gamble on the unfamiliar. I suppose as well that there might be some expectation that older fans will buy on import anyway, so why bother with collector-centric lines? Bit of a shame for those of use whom would like a particular figure, but don't have deep pockets/ aren't prepared to pay import prices.

None of three branches of TRU that I can get to easily (ish - stupid out of town barns) has had the recent IDW Generations line, and only one had MP Soundwave/ Acid Storm.

It's difficult to predict what international markets will get. Last year, for instance. We got Prime waves 1 & 2 in late Feb before anyone else and then nothing new until six weeks before Christmas when the later waves turned up. Sadly, it was a bit late in the day and it all ended up at discount retailers come January as the Beast Hunters stuff started to come through. That left some figures like Skyquake showing up only at these discount shops.

I wonder if some of the Generations stuff may show up in the new year. We used to be a shoe-in for at least getting Waves 1 & 2 of most lines, but these days you can't even bank on that. Presumably because the action figure market is in decline in general and due to the economy and manufacturers are responding by moving to the 3.5" scale or construction kits.

Warcry
2013-10-16, 05:59 PM
Obviously I don't live in the UK, but in my corner of the frozen Canadian tundra the first wave of FoC Generations were warming shelves so heavily that I never thought we'd see any of the IDW Deluxes or Triplechanger Voyagers. But now they're pretty much everywhere, even in stores that would have had to clear out existing stock to make room. I think stores are treating them as a new line because of the different packaging, so if your TRUs brought in the first wave of FoC stuff they might very well bring in the first wave of the 30th Anniversary stuff too.

Knightdramon
2013-10-16, 06:52 PM
It's difficult to predict what international markets will get. Last year, for instance. We got Prime waves 1 & 2 in late Feb before anyone else and then nothing new until six weeks before Christmas when the later waves turned up.

Anybody remember the f*ck fest that followed through at tfw2005 because the UK got a mainline before US for a change? :lol:

Clay
2013-10-17, 12:09 AM
They're still available out this way if you fancy one.

Rack 'n Ruin
2013-10-27, 06:36 PM
They're still available out this way if you fancy one.

Oops, sorry for the very slow reply, Clay. Thank you again for the kind offer. I may yet take you up on it! However, Transformer quality control being what it is, I always prefer to have the option of a refund in a local shop where possible. I think I'll keep looking until December and then re-assess my options.

Cheeky question: I don't suppose Generations Hoist is also out in your area? He is another I'm looking for. If so, theoretically, would you be happy to send me both Springer & Hoist if the need were to arise?

Warcry
2013-10-27, 07:36 PM
If Clay can't oblige, I've got a loose Hoist that you can probably talk me out of. He was basically opened, reviewed for the site and then ignored on a shelf until I forgot I even owned him.

Rack 'n Ruin
2013-10-27, 08:06 PM
If Clay can't oblige, I've got a loose Hoist that you can probably talk me out of. He was basically opened, reviewed for the site and then ignored on a shelf until I forgot I even owned him.

Oh, great. Thanks Warcry! If Hoist doesn't appear on the shelf here I'll definitely bear your offer in mind. Obviously, don't hold on to him just for me. If you decide to sell him before I give up my TRU vigil it won't be a problem at all.

People on TFA are awesome! :clap:

Knightdramon
2013-10-27, 11:36 PM
Springers and Sandstorms can be gotten from Kapow nowadays for what would be their retail if they were on local shelves.

I'm still very glad I held out on getting those overpriced samples at autoassembly, with the way their prices are now.

Rack 'n Ruin
2013-10-28, 06:59 AM
Springers and Sandstorms can be gotten from Kapow nowadays for what would be their retail if they were on local shelves.

I'm still very glad I held out on getting those overpriced samples at autoassembly, with the way their prices are now.

While pages are still there for them, both Gen Springer and Sandstorm are showing as out of stock on Kapow. Springer has been like that for a while. :(

Kapow do seem to have the TT Springer, but the colours used on that figure I can only describe as "icky".

Knightdramon
2013-10-28, 09:51 AM
Aaw, didn't notice that. I was kind of hoping for either to be around come December/January.

Springer is one of the extremely rare cases where I actually prefered the US deco to the japanese version. I believe he's like, one out of three or so figures? :lol:

I'm possibly getting Rhinox, Waspinator and Rattrap from Kapow as well, so I'll be checking the site. If I see a restock of Springer I'll let you know.

inflatable dalek
2013-10-28, 06:42 PM
Not to gloat, but after some initial reservations Springer has really grown on me, a very nice toy.

How long do Kapow usually take to send stuff out? This thread has reminded me I ordered the in-stock Not-Ironfist from them a couple of weeks ago and there's no sign of it yet.

Denyer
2013-10-28, 07:12 PM
Probably just auto-updated from when it was expected to be in stock. KT usually announce arrivals on Facebook. New third party company, I'm not expecting them to be timely with things (and TBH would prefer they take any extra needed to sort out niggles before production and shipping.) UK usually gets stuff a bit behind the US, too.

Can't remember how overdue not-Weirdwolf and not-Tantrum were.

Whilst I get that there's usually wave stock unsold (and similarly it's a case of hedging bets with third party stuff to avoid resting stock) the fact that Skids won't be stocked separately (rather than will be sold separately but at a premium) is pretty off-putting. eBay first in future.

inflatable dalek
2013-10-28, 07:16 PM
Cool, knowing they've got a fairly solid reputation I wasn't too worried, but nice to know it's likely OK.

Rack 'n Ruin
2013-10-28, 08:04 PM
Er, guys... I read earlier (FMH? TFW?) that Gauntlet (if that is Not-Ironfist, as I believe) may have been cancelled. Bit of a bummer if true. Best check, I'd say.

EDIT: Aha! 'Twas The Allspark! http://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/93553-mach-5s-m5-01-gauntlet/page-5#entry2416061

(Is it OK to post a link here? If not, please feel free to delete it.)

Denyer
2013-10-28, 09:35 PM
Eh, will give it a bit and see if they figure out the logistics.

Knightdramon
2013-10-28, 09:43 PM
Cool, knowing they've got a fairly solid reputation I wasn't too worried, but nice to know it's likely OK.

I'm under the impression that it's cancelled...

Heinrad
2013-10-28, 10:29 PM
I got an email from BBTS letting me know it'd been cancelled. Bit of a bummer, really.

inflatable dalek
2013-10-29, 08:08 AM
Er, guys... I read earlier (FMH? TFW?) that Gauntlet (if that is Not-Ironfist, as I believe) may have been cancelled. Bit of a bummer if true. Best check, I'd say.

EDIT: Aha! 'Twas The Allspark! http://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/93553-mach-5s-m5-01-gauntlet/page-5#entry2416061

(Is it OK to post a link here? If not, please feel free to delete it.)

Interesting comments there, looks opinions are divided on whether this is the fault of BBTS being dickish over exclusivity or it's down to the company being hugely over ambitious and now wanting to pin the blame on other people. It's not completely clear if some form of it will come out or not.

Denyer
2013-10-29, 07:24 PM
Probably somewhere in-between. Hopefully they'll be proactive in talking to retailers in the next week or two, and if it's not a probable go in the near future would sell the design on to an established third party that already has the channels in place to make a go of it.

Given a definite yes on FP not-Brainstorm coming with a faceplate, I'd be inclined to switch the order over to that, though... or the not-Mindwipe...

Skyquake87
2013-10-30, 07:19 AM
Amazon.com have Springer for 22.72 shipped to the UK:

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Generations-Voyager-Autobot-Springer/dp/B00ATA2T9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383117563&sr=8-1&keywords=Transformers+Generations+Springer

...so I've ordered him :)

Rack 'n Ruin
2013-10-30, 01:11 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Generations-Voyager-Autobot-Springer/dp/B00ATA2T9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383117563&sr=8-1&keywords=Transformers+Generations+Springer

Mind if I ask some questions about how it works ordering from Amazon.com to the UK?

1. Is there a chance of incurring import taxes, etc?
2. Should a return be required (i.e. the item is faulty) is it returned to Amazon UK or Amazon US? And who pays the postage for the return?

Skyquake87
2013-10-30, 06:22 PM
Postage and import tax is included in the shipping - and the checkout converts the dollars into your local currency. Can't remember about returns,i think its back to the us -not at a computer to check. Had no troubles buying foc g2 bruticus from them last year for 50 inc shipping

Clay
2013-11-06, 03:51 PM
Springer and hoist are readily available here. If you want, I can open them up and check them for QC issues before mailing.

Knightdramon
2013-11-06, 10:13 PM
How much would a loose Springer cost to ship over to the UK? [Grand total with figure and shipping included]

With all the wreckers going on around, I'm tempted to at least try him.

Skyquake87
2013-11-07, 09:17 AM
Amazon.com's return policy (er, better late than never)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=15015721

My Springer should be here in the next few days, so I will update once he's in my paws.

Knightdramon
2013-11-07, 06:22 PM

Product page now states that can only be shipped in the US...

Skyquake87
2013-11-09, 01:33 PM
Woop! Well, not to rub it in, but Generations Springer turned up today.

Sucks that he can only be ordered inside the US now. Might be a stock availability thing, so i would check back.

Yet to get Springer out of his box. I'm off to York, so that'll have to wait :)

Denyer
2013-11-09, 04:17 PM
Back in stock at the moment:

http://www.kapowtoys.co.uk/transformers-generations-voyager-springer.html

Knightdramon
2013-11-09, 04:35 PM
Yet to get Springer out of his box. I'm off to York, so that'll have to wait :)

Where to? How long? Business?

I live very close to the Barbican, hit me up with a PM for a meet up.

Skyquake87
2013-11-10, 10:21 PM
it was a bit of hasty rushed trip planned at the last minute, with a bit more thought I might have remembered you were up there :)

it was a shopping trip done in a whirl.

Generations Springer - now I've had him out the box (no QC issues, btw) is bloody lovely. hard to believe he's come from HasTak's hands.

Rack 'n Ruin
2013-11-14, 12:57 PM
Well, I managed to get a Springer at a price I am happy with from Amazon UK. They are now offering refunds or exchanges on anything bought after Nov 1st, so I'm covered if there are any problems when I unpack him over Christmas.

Thanks to all who gave advice in this thread, and to those who offered to send a Springer to me over from more TF abundant climes. Much appreciated.