PDA

View Full Version : Any motorcycle riders here?

Notabot
2013-10-21, 04:53 PM
After nearly 10 years without, I just purchased my second ever motorcycle! I came across it at a pawn shop, and just couldn't say no to the low price, especially because it's almost identical to my old bike. Nothing fancy, just a 750cc Kawasaki CSR.

Since the purchase, though, I realized that this is not the best time to ride a motorcycle in South Dakota. It's currently at the pawn shop about 40 miles away, but the high temps are around 40 this entire week. That makes for a chilly rider when you get it up to 75mph on the interstate! I might just have to move it to a friend's garage until warmer days appear. I also have to try to remember the shift pattern and all the other subtleties of motorcycling.

So anyone else got a bike?

Blast Cannon
2013-10-24, 07:46 PM
I've always had a very odd, inexplicable fear of motorbikes which is odd because I've never been on one or been around them for any given amount of time. When I hear the roaring of the engines either as I'm walking down the street or driving my car (with its roof and protective doors), I'm immediately on edge.

Bloody death machines..

Denyer
2013-10-24, 08:26 PM
Nothing too much to worry about -- it's the rider that's likely to be smeared across fixtures if they pull anything stupid. Regular unpowered bikes, on the other hand, I'd cheerfully see criminalised. The basic criteria for road use should be being able to do posted speeds plus safely overtake [edit: with minimal exceptions for countryside use of tractors, etc]... it's nice that people want to be healthy and save the environment, but they can walk (I do wherever possible) and it saves nothing to have dozens of vehicles stuck in a queue burning fuel because some twat is doing 10mph up a slight incline.

And then there's Cambridge in the UK. There should be points on offer for every idiot -- and to generalise further, it is mostly students -- permanently prevented from risking themselves, pedestrians and traffic.

Blast Cannon
2013-10-24, 09:28 PM
Nothing too much to worry about -- it's the rider that's likely to be smeared across fixtures if they pull anything stupid. Regular unpowered bikes, on the other hand, I'd cheerfully see criminalised. The basic criteria for road use should be being able to do posted speeds plus safely overtake [edit: with minimal exceptions for countryside use of tractors, etc]... it's nice that people want to be healthy and save the environment, but they can walk (I do wherever possible) and it saves nothing to have dozens of vehicles stuck in a queue burning fuel because some twat is doing 10mph up a slight incline.

And then there's Cambridge in the UK. There should be points on offer for every idiot -- and to generalise further, it is mostly students -- permanently prevented from risking themselves, pedestrians and traffic.

Generally speaking bicycles aren't that big a problem in Manchester. We have designated cycle lanes through most of the city centre and outlying major roads which have pretty much negated the problems that you've brought up. A legacy of the Commonwealth Games that actually made hosting it quite worthwhile.

From what I can remember about Cambridge there does seem to be an infestation of cyclists in the city centre. I was nearly mowed down by one who clearly didn't believe that red traffic lights apply to them as well as motorists..