PDA

View Full Version : MTMTE Season One reflection and thoughts

Terome
2013-10-21, 05:11 PM
Full disclosure: am stealing this idea from the TFW2005 boards. Confession: Sometimes I read the TFW2005 boards.

How do we feel they did with this 'first season?' Do television seasons map well to comic serials? I don't think so but this is how these things go.

What is your vote for most effective story? Who is your most favoured character? Which character do you think needs to be retired off? What was the most satisfying payoff? What was the most striking image? The best new concept? And what was the biggest mistake or wrong turn that you noticed?

As for me, I'd say that my favouritest character is Cyclonus even though he's really just a Klingon. I loved what they did with Shadowplay and how Optimus Prime was played. The best image appealed to my detail-fussy sensibilities and was the great big double splash of Chromedome coming across that scene of Overlord's carnage. Or possibly the panel of Skids emerging from the portal in #21 for its bizarre Floro Deryness.

The constructed cold / forged thing was a very well-played bit of trivia. On the surface it's not actually that interesting but the way it was portioned out bit by bit was genius.

Biggest mistake was probably how Ultra Magnus was handled. I understand there was a need for an Arnold Rimmer and I know there were some plot reasons for him to act so oddly and that he got an arc out of it and all but I don't think it was a good move to make the straight man so wacky, especially with Red Alert around to take up that slack. The load-bearing thing also didn't really go anywhere much. It served a cliffhanger and contributed to a 'look out behind you' move but not a lot else. That said, I liked the Dread Pirate Roberts angle and I suppose there's stuff to be mined with the Ambus connection but for most of the run Ultra Magnus felt like a miscalculation.

Oh, and the fact all the villains get away in the end. I've mentioned that elsewhere. We've got about a dozen baddies floating about and I fear they are all going to be swept up in a house-clearing or crossover rather than given proper endings.

Anyhow. Good work so far, here's to an even better season 2.

Auntie Slag
2013-10-21, 07:14 PM
Shadowplay strikes me as the best Transformers story ever.

I think my favourite character is shared between Whirl, Chromedome's relationships with Prowl and Rewind, and I also think Robert's handling of Orion Pax is just superb. And even though I don't like Overlord; he's definitely smart, interesting and with a fantastically black sense of humour.

Best image: Skids with all weapons out shouting at the Legislators to show themselves in the oil galley of The Lost Light. Also, Whirl has some brilliantly dynamic poses with his crazy, almost skeletal body. The scene where he's standing over Cyclonus in the first issue after they've plunged headlong over a cliff is stupendously good and probably the best pose I've ever seen a Transformer do in a comic.

The thing I dislike is seemingly major characters getting short shrift; Fort Max, Dai Atlas, the Circle of Light... and annoyingly long absences of great characters; Tarn, the Scavengers, Shockwave.

Favourite bit of Roberts mythos is probably the fact that he's working with a biiiiig plan, and his tech spec motto: Everything matters.

inflatable dalek
2013-10-24, 08:47 AM
Overall, I think the series has gone very well, is 22 is the weakest we're going to get we're in excellent hands.

Favourite character? I think it's to the series credit that there's several possible contenders. Obviously everyone loves Cyclonus, but Tailgate, Chromedome, Rewind (RIP), Whirl and a few others are all in the same ballpark.

Hell, there are even characters whose presence wasn't large enough for them to justifiably make the favourite spot but who still did well with their little bits to stand out: Pipes, Brainstorm, First Aid all get honourable mentions.

Actually, that's arguably a fault, the Meet the Crew page gives a false impression of who the main characters are, meaning there was a slight disconnect between who was getting all the page time and who the additional information in the comic told us should be getting it.

Character most in need of retirement? Swerve maybe over done now, there's an interesting character in there but the intentionally annoying facade is still starting to become annoying annoying. Mind, Roberts seems smart enough to have realised this, Swerve was much more downplayed in Remain in Light and the little jokes were properly aimed rather than a constant drone (the bar tab one worked because Swerve hadn't being quipping for the last four issues).

Agreed with Terome that the general backstory added to the creation of Transformers is pretty much fantastically thought out, as indeed are the little glimpses of Cybertronian society we've seen in flashback (not to turn every MTMTE thread into a "Lets kick RID!" one, but MTMTE has developed Cybertron much better much more briefly than RID).

Best story? By a nose, Shadowplay, well thought out, smartly told, well drawn and with a "DA DA DAH!" ending that was both perfectly logical (ho ho) and genuinely surprising at the same time. Shame RID (sorry) dropped the ball on following that up. The fact it's people talking toot in a bar makes it the perfect representation of what the series stands for as well: It's not the big Universe changing events that matter, it's having a jar with your mates.

Hell, the only flaw I can think of is the slight oddity of opening with the Universe's greatest Transformer detective finding a body and then having him not proceed to investigate the case. It's the equivalent of having Jessica Fletcher running a mile from one of those old friend reunions the moment the first murder happens.

And that's small fry. The single best (and certainly closest to flawless) storyline IDW have done to date by far really isn't it?

I can't think of a story/issue I dislike, but I've gone on at length in the 22 thread about the damp squib that was the resolution of the Circle of Light plotline. It doesn't endear much hope that Roberts and Barber will be able to make a 12 issue epic pay off brilliantly.

Did it work as an analogy for a TV series season? Well, going in you usually know the length of a TV season (barring sudden cancellation), whilst I don't think the idea we were working towards an issue 22 climax wasn't made apparently until fairly well into the run (probably because with all the shifting and changing Barber and Roberts- Barerts? Rorber?- hadn't decided themselves exactly when the transition to the crossover would be) making it very hard as a reader to be sure where the beats are supposed to be in that story if and if it's hitting them properly.

But lets face it, if it's a TV show, it's Red Dwarf isn't it? [*Ducks From Roberts' Wrath*]

Auntie Slag
2013-10-24, 12:40 PM
You know, I reckon the hostage issue with Fort Max, Rung and Whirl would vie for top story in the 22 issue run. It's got fantastic performances from all three, as well as a couple of excellent turns from Rewind and Swerve. I also think this would be the ultimate pack-in comic accompanying a Generations Whirl toy (as in, the most disturbing pack-in that might send a parent a bit doo-lally if they ever bothered to read it).

Maybe I'd put it equal with Shadowplay.

Maybe tomorrow I'd put it above. It is fantastic.

Warcry
2013-10-24, 04:33 PM
What is your vote for most effective story?
For me, it's a toss-up between the Delphi arc early on and the Fort Max hostage issue. Both of them were great because they dealt with things that just aren't talked about in Transformers, or at least not seriously -- disease, mortality and the psychological harm that an endless war would have on people who are so tough that they can survive having the most horrible things done to them.

Who is your most favoured character?
Chromedome, easily and by a mile. He's the closest thing the book has to a main character so far, with an interesting backstory and a flawed character that causes him to make bad decisions but still remain very sympathetic. I most of the rest of the cast too, but the likes of Rodimus, Whirl, Cyclonus, Magnus or even Tailgate seem more like charicatures while Chromedome comes off as an actual person.

Which character do you think needs to be retired off?
I haven't liked Swerve from day one, but he's an annoying tangential background character. And everyone who reads the threads for each issue knows that I want Skids to **** off. But in story terms? The character who needs to leave the most is Ratchet. Because that's where his character arc has been heading from day one, because I love First Aid and that's the only way that he will ever get a chance to shine as a character in his own right, and because if Ratchet is gone it probably means we won't see that ridiculous, tiresome loon Pharma ever again.

What was the most satisfying payoff?
Slowly seeing just how much Chromedome and Rewind care about each other. It was handled very well, without any of the silly or gross trappings that most fan-created fiction dealing with Transformers' feelings are rife with. It showed just how deep an attachment can be formed between two people who have lived their lives together for longer than human civilization has existed, and did it all without resorting to trite human romance tropes...and then it showed just how deeply it can hurt when that attachment is severed. Finding out that Chromedome had erased his memories of people who he'd cared so much for in the past and lost, and then seeing him decide not to erase Rewind, is probably the high point of the series so far.

What was the most striking image?
Huh. I don't know if I can really name one. I'm not really a visual thinker that way, and it's usually characters and ideas that stick in my head.

The best new concept?
So many to choose from! I think the Functionists and their alt-mode apartheid is probably the most interesting to me, because it seems far more "down to earth" or realistic than stuff like Shadowplay, empurata or cold-constructing sparks. It seems like something that would really happen, if people could change their shape into different things. "You're a construction vehicle, obviously you should build stuff" and "you're a drill tank, so get busy mining!" both make perfect sense...but they also represent a complete stripping away of a person's free will to choose their path in life, and the ideology is actually far more horrifying than it seemed at first glance.

And what was the biggest mistake or wrong turn that you noticed?

Oh, and the fact all the villains get away in the end.
Biggest flaw to me would be a tie between this and Roberts' seeming inability to follow through on killing anyone off. If he doesn't want to kill anyone that's fine. Plenty of stories work just fine without anyone dying. But the constant "he's dead, oh wait, no he's not!" is a definite drama-killer. Does anyone even believe the main characters are in any sort of jeopardy at any time, anymore? Even Overlord, the super-deadly Decepticon who destroys entire armies on his own, only managed to kill one C-lister in his "rampage" (since Chromedome killed Rewind and nobody believes he's dead anyway...).

It's gotten to the point where a beloved character miraculously surviving certain death causes not a feeling of happiness but an eye-roll, a groan and a "not again..."

The DJD are also ludicrously over the top to the point where I can't take them seriously.

Auntie Slag
2013-10-24, 04:57 PM
The DJD are an interesting group; they would make excellent warriors against the Autobots, and yet someone has done the numbers & found that they're more effective eliminating weak or treasonous Decepticons.

That's kind of cool, and gives a bit of insight into what it's like being a Decepticon. I'd imagine lots of readers depictions of day-to-day Decepticon life consists of characters like Rumble & Frenzy getting frustrated at having nothing to hit, and invariably nothing more than that.

The good thing about Roberts handling of Decepticon culture is that if you're going to be one then you've got to be behind it as much as Megatron, or else sod off. Some might suggest the Scavengers are inept Decepticons, but where's the evidence in that? Krok had no qualms killing the Autobot tossed on the fire. The only one whose expressed cowardice is Misfire, and to counter that he's Skids' mortal enemy.

So yeah, to be a Decepticon you've got to be more than a card carrying member with a monthly direct debit to the cause. If they're pretty dangerous (when in previous timelines/mythos'eses they've been largely anemic apart from Megatron, Shockwave and Bludgeon), then that's rather good. Perhaps a proper Autobot/Decepticon battle in MTMTE-verse will be rather shocking!

inflatable dalek
2013-10-25, 09:09 PM
Ohhh, I forgot to go for my favourite image: Cyclonus penetrating Tailgate with his mighty weapon for sure. Because it perfectly means two different things the first and second time you look at it.

In terms of Ratchet, I think the big problem with his and First Aid's arc is it seems to be assuming that Cybertron is just going to wait for them to come back before assigning a new chief medical officer, which I would say would be unlikely even if everyone didn't think the Lost Light was destroyed. Fixit seems to basically have that job already, so First Aid's mild annoyance seems a bit pointless.

Sure, there's potential character conflict there when they get back to Cybertron, but it seems a bit forced. What would Ratchet have done if it had taken him millions of years to find a replacement?

And what does he have against Fixit anyway? Does he have a strange compulsion to make everyone look like Goldbug?

Terome
2013-10-25, 10:12 PM
Warcry: Chromedome, easily and by a mile. He's the closest thing the book has to a main character so far, with an interesting backstory and a flawed character that causes him to make bad decisions but still remain very sympathetic. I most of the rest of the cast too, but the likes of Rodimus, Whirl, Cyclonus, Magnus or even Tailgate seem more like charicatures while Chromedome comes off as an actual person.

Yeah, I think I'm changing my mind on Cyclonus. Cyclonus is neat but he's a not a whole lot more than a delicious cake made from a recipe of genre tropes. Chromedome is, as you say, an actual person. And a bit more scary, in his way.

The DJD are also ludicrously over the top to the point where I can't take them seriously.

You know, I'd completely forgotten about them. They're another one of those 'at large' baddies. There's also a bit of overlap between Star Sabre and Tarn. But whatever, they're visually very well executed and good for prodding the plot along when need be. The big problem I can see is that with them being this nigh-unstoppable force they are either going to have to be met by an equal opposing force and be finished or suffer villain decay for every reappearance.

I guess they'll be chasing Drift next time we see them? Poor Drift.

Dalek: In terms of Ratchet, I think the big problem with his and First Aid's arc is it seems to be assuming that Cybertron is just going to wait for them to come back before assigning a new chief medical officer, which I would say would be unlikely even if everyone didn't think the Lost Light was destroyed. Fixit seems to basically have that job already, so First Aid's mild annoyance seems a bit pointless.

I'm having trouble connecting with that particular plotline myself. There are exactly four doctors in the Autobots. Three now that Ambulon is dead. Why is being the top dog so important to anyone?

Knightdramon
2013-10-26, 06:24 PM
I'm having trouble connecting with that particular plotline myself. There are exactly four doctors in the Autobots. Three now that Ambulon is dead. Why is being the top dog so important to anyone?

There's more. By MTMTE+RID+LSOTW, we have Ratchet, First Aid, Amublon, Pharma, Fixit and that unicycle bot...erm...Kaput? And those are among the higher-profile ones in the ranks. I'm sure there's a lot more around.

Knightdramon
2013-10-26, 08:38 PM
What is your vote for most effective story? Who is your most favoured character? Which character do you think needs to be retired off? What was the most satisfying payoff? What was the most striking image? The best new concept? And what was the biggest mistake or wrong turn that you noticed?

Most effective story: I really did enjoy issue 6. Shadowplay is also top notch, as well as the Delphi business and Remain in Light. Issue 6's mood was somewhat lessened by the near-next issue revelation that Rung didn't die. But for that issue, the stakes were VERY high; Red Alert and Rung had just uncovered one of the 4-5 most powerful beings on their race ONBOARD, Fortress Maximus had a nervous breakdown, Whirl was amazing and just started showing some emotion...and then the glue that held all that together, Rung, was just shot in the face.

Most favoured character[s]: Magnus and Whirl. Roberts made me love Magnus and pray for the inevitable MP figure. Whirl just keeps getting layers and layers of character with each issue; from Ongoing 22 and onwards, he goes from asshole, to bigger asshole, to sympathetic asshole, to bigger asshole, to biggest asshole, to loveable asshole and all that. Chromedome is also unofficially the main bot from issues 9-16.

Which character you think needs to be retired?: None. Just none.

Most satisfying payoff? : Dunno, Remain in Light pt5 seemed to tie up nearly every loose end thus far bar very few.

Most striking image : End of shadowplay, very last page maybe. The revelation and implications at that point were too much for me. Volume 4's cover/issue 15's cover with Magnus is also a huge "gasp" each time I look at it.

Best new concept: I think Roberts is doing wonders with exploring the world before Pax became a Prime. The whole political thing, empurata rituals, Nova's scheme, social apartheid and all that really shines through every other thing. He made me appreciate where Megatron was coming through even more, and love Nova!

Biggest mistake/wrong turn: Well...they could have handled the Overlord thing a lot better on issue 15. Issues 14-15 were advertised as the worst possible brutal fight ever, death in the ranks and all that, and it was basically a Chromedome-Rewind love story with Overlord in the background. The actual content was okay, the execution so-so, the advertising for it...bad.

Auntie Slag
2013-10-26, 11:33 PM
You've just reminded me Knightdramon; I'd also like to nominate the one-armed Chromedome lying foetally on the floor having blown up the slow cell. That was heartbreaking.

And that issue cover by Nick Roche with Tailgate sitting on the circuit slab staring out the port window.

Skyquake87
2013-10-27, 09:52 AM
Here is my twopenn'th

Most Effective Story : Shadowplay, without a doubt. But then, I'm a sucker for seeing stuff about Transformers and their society. It really helps the fill in the looming gap in the Transformers backstory. Roberts is superb at fleshing their world out. Very close second would be Tailgate/ Cyclonus interactions and their relationship which just makes me want to give them both a big hug.

Most favoured Characters Tailgate for me. I have a new favourite Transformer! Hooray! And then its all the others that I like for lots of different things that they bring.

Which Character Do You Think Needs To Be Retired? None. It would be nice to have a death that means death, although I appreciate Hasbro's sticky fingers might have something to do with this. Gotta protect those trademarks!

Most Satisfying PayoffChromedome not injecting himself after watching Rewind's video, Cyclonus stabbing Tailgate, "We're 'Cool' ". Its the smaller character bits i like most. And poor, poor Pipes brief little arc.

Most Striking Image Final page of Shadowplay and all the horrors that puts me to mind of and as Auntie Slag says, that quite sad little image of Tailgate sitting on the circuit slab.

Best New Concept All the flashback world building stuff that explains the who/how/why/what/where of the Transformers. Brilliant stuff.

Biggest Mistake/ Wrong Turn All the stuff I've liked has been away from the main story. The 'diversions' as Swerve would have it. I do sometimes feel that there's not enough space afforded in MTMTE to allow room for all Roberts ideas and stories that he wants to tell. It kind of feels that as good as this has been, its not quite what he might have wanted. I would like more Decepticons in the book and hope we get to catch up with Krok and his chums again soon. Other than those quibbles, the conclusion to the 'quest' fell quite flat which is a big shame, although I did like that it was 'accidentally' discovered. I hope we get to see the Circle Of Light properly at some point (I've not read the Drift mini, and frankly, don't think I want to). Its not really felt like a 'Season' to me, that honour still held by Generation 2 which does have a Season-like feel to it.

Red Dave Prime
2013-10-27, 11:43 PM
Very quick answers -

Most Effective Story - Issue 6 and 12 have been my favourite issues and Shadowplay is rightly praised here as being the best of the "arc" stories. I love the structure of issue 12 and there is some wonderful character stuff in amongst the frantic action.

Favourite Characters - Most of the main cast are great all round. I dont think Whirl gets enough credit - yep he is an asshole but issue 6 reveals theres more to this guy. Swerve in small doses works very well, there's been one or two points where he is a bit too out front. Chromedome has been done fantastically well. And Cyclonus is damn good too. Tailgate was a great character idea to get ideas across without being an obvious narrator. And Rung has some damn fine moments - His look that he gives Rodimus during the Overlord deaths speech is fantastic. And then there's Brainstorm...

So, not so much the favourite but Chromedome is a mutli layered creation that has been given the most attention and has been consistently well written. I'll go with him.

Which Character needs to be retired - Hard to say. I think Ratchet hasn't much left to give and has the potential to feel like a really big loss if he does get written out. I disliked some of the Rodimus stuff but I think he'll have a good redemption arc. I suppose Skids hasn't quite clicked with me and even though he is important he often feels like a plot point compared to the rest of the cast.

Most Satisfying payoff - hmm....Unike a good few others here, I loved the build up to the Overlord issue and while it falls a bit at the end (that stupid sword..) I think the issue itself was dramatic as hell. It says a lot that there was a sense of dread as I read through it, fearing who might be next. Yes, by the end of the issue the impact is somewhat lost but for about half an issue I was on the edge of my seat like I didnt think a comic could do.

Most Striking image - There's been some great bits. The mosaic in issue 2 of highlights from the war is not just brilliantly drawn but you can follow up each image to some previously written dialogue. It's fantastic and highlights Roberts world building ability.
2 images not already mentioned but that choked me up is Cyclonus helping Tailgate pick up the pieces of the vial in issue 12 and then the image of swerve all alone after the reveal that not only is he not really friends with blurr, he is really quite alone despite desperately reaching out to just about everyone.

Best New concept - Its not so much a new concept thing, but I love the way roberts builds up the world. Its one thing to create a load of backstory and set up future plots but there is a subtlety to a lot of roberts work where things get mentioned and they might be important or might not be. He has seeded a lot of the early issues with events that may be paid off later on, revisited or just allow him to centre previous tales. Stuff like the real slow reveal of Killmaster or the numerous references to the battles of Hells point. It makes the world feel lived in and gives him lots of reference points to come back to.

Biggest Mistake - HEADSHOTS! Other then that, not too much. The Circle of Light thing was a bit of a mis step, and some of Brainstorms gadgets seem a bit too bizarre - the shrinking gun from the annual, or that 4th wall breaking weapon from the overlord issue.

Overall, I've loved MTMTE season 1. Pity dark cybertron has to get in the way of season 2 :)

edit: Those were not quick answers at all, were they?

zigzagger
2013-10-28, 07:37 AM
Most Effective Story : Uh, yeah... how 'bout that Shadowplay? For all the reasons already mentioned, yep, it's a darn good story.

Rewind gathering folks together at Swerve's made for a pretty fun framing device as well. More impressive was, for a storyline that had supposedly been wedged in at the behest of Hasbro, it certainly doesn't read like it. Shadowplay reads well thought out and considered. A lotta love put in this one and it shows.

The Delphi arc is strong contender in my book. The last time Ratchet was in the spotlight was waaaay back in 2006, and this arc reminded me that, in the right hands, he's a great character.

Also, First Aid's brilliant (what can I say, I have a thing for Autobot medics).

Most favoured Characters: Sure, Chromedome's great and is clearly Roberts's baby. The main character, if there ever was one. But, I'm partial to Cyclonus (yeah, yeah, I know, everyone loves Cyclonus). It took him awhile to get there, but I maintain that he's one of the best things about the series.

Which Character Do You Think Needs To Be Retired?: **shrugs** I dunno... Skids probably.

Most Satisfying Payoff/Best Moments: Okay, I have a number of these...

Will have to agree with Warcry, watching Chromedome cope with the loss of Rewind was indeed a series high point. It felt real without having to resort to... well, human romance tropes. On a related note, Brainstorm's intervention was easily the character's strongest moment.

Also, was I the only one that was touched by Ratchet helping Drift up (issue #16, again)? Had a big, dopey grin on my face with that one. This scene is made all the more powerful by Rodimus's confession in issue #21.

Speaking of which, Ultra Magnus FINALLY putting Rodimus in his place, and subsequently, Rodimus's confession. This was a looooong time coming and it didn't disappoint.

While I've quibbled over the resolution of the Overlord arc in issue #15, what saved it for me was the rather brilliant preceding issue. If ever there was a Spotlight: Overlord, issue #14 would be it. And Chromedome and Overlord's battle of wits was just fantastic! Even Prowl's convoluted plot and Bumblebee's incompetence couldn't muck this one up.

Pipes's death. Horrifying and heartbreaking. It was perfect.

Ratchet and First Aid in issue #20. Oh, the drama! Forget all that stuff about killswitches and what have you, this is where it was at. It's a tense and shocking scene. I loved every moment of it.

Most Striking Image: Just to name a few:

Final page of Shadowplay; don't think anyone saw that coming.

Luna-1 lighting up in issue #17; some of Burcham's best work in that issue, now that I'm thinking about it.

Cyclonus and Tailgate, issue #21, page 20; captured the tone perfectly.

Best New Concept: Expanding on Cybertronian history, culture, creation, social apartheid, etc, etc. You know, all the world building stuff we all keep banging on about.

Biggest Mistake/ Wrong Turn: Really don't want to beat a dead horse Dai Atlas's corpse any further, but the biggest misstep for me was, yes, the resolution of the Circle of Light plotline.

Don't need to go too much into that one, do I? In the end, there really wasn't much point to them, was there?

Auntie Slag
2013-10-28, 07:54 AM
Talking of fantastic scenes (again), one that really stuck with me was the moment in Shadowplay where Rewind and co. are sitting around the table telling the story, Drift is recounting his past and he says something to Ratchet like "Is that accurate enough for you? It should be, I think about that moment all the time".

Its probably the only time where someone like Ratchet has been genuinely caught short by a comment, almost like he's trying to hold back a bit of emotion.

That was ace. And it really paid off when they stood together against Overlord.

inflatable dalek
2013-10-28, 06:34 PM
Also, was I the only one that was touched by Ratchet helping Drift up (issue #16, again)? Had a big, dopey grin on my face with that one. This scene is made all the more powerful by Rodimus's confession in issue #21.

Oh yes, twas a wonderful moment.

Perhaps we should just go with anything we don't specifically say didn't work was a great moment?

On the death fake-outs, at least Roberts has admitted he now thinks he over egged the pudding by doing Red Alert so soon after Rung, so hopefully that'll drop off now.

Like I've been saying from the off, I've no problem with them being treated as virtually unkillable, but that means you can't keep making faux cliffhangers where it looks as if you've killed people.

Auntie Slag
2013-10-28, 07:18 PM
That means Roberts could get more evil and protracted with the deaths. Instead of the odd bit of head chopping off and head exploding he's going to get into serious torture-porn, which he already has with Whirl and the sweeps, & Fort Max and all the nameless prison warders from LSotW.

You've seen his stuff in Eugenesis, it's sick. Is this what's gonna happen in cuddly MTMTE? Mind you, it was excellent when the boy Whirl took out that Seacon at point-blank range whilst referencing the '86 movie.

Oh, and Shadowplay is nasty too... and a brain bullet.

And getting your face shot off.

It's all quite violent already. Does he need to resort to fake-outs?

Cyberstrike nTo
2013-10-30, 06:50 PM
Most effective story: Don't have really one. Roberts writes more in overall arc, if I had to say I would say the DJD 2 parter not because of the DJD they were crap, and Grimlock was just there for a stunt, but the Scavengers were excellant and very cool characters I want more adventures of them.

Most favoured character[s]: Tailgate, Ratchet, and Drift. I love Tailgate's naivate and Ratchet and Drift's banter.

Which character you think needs to be retired?: Ultra Magnus. IMHO Roberts has ruined him.

Most satisfying payoff? : Drift leaving the ship.

Most striking image : Overlord drifting in space apprently dead.

Best new concept: Spark switching.

Biggest mistake/wrong turn: Shadowplay, the DJD, and the battle with Overlord and the running gag with Ultra Magnus having a stick up his ass.

inflatable dalek
2013-10-30, 09:02 PM
Biggest mistake/wrong turn: Shadowplay

Now that's interesting, considering I've not otherwise heard a bad thing about that story (bar the Red Alert thing) I'm curious as to what you didn't think work there.

Death's Head
2013-10-30, 09:13 PM
I still think there's more to Red Alert's apparent suicide. I re-read it last night, and noticed that Shadowplay is the story that showed us Red's mnemonology scars...

Terome
2013-10-31, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Cyberstrike nTo View Post
Biggest mistake/wrong turn: Shadowplay

Now that's interesting, considering I've not otherwise heard a bad thing about that story (bar the Red Alert thing) I'm curious as to what you didn't think work there.

Second to that. Seems to me it has a bit of everything and manages to become more than the sum of its parts. We learn a little more about everyone around that table and get a buttload of Cybertron History to mull over. And Prowl's in it! Prowl who is not yet evil and who cares for people and such.

Cyberstrike nTo
2013-10-31, 04:47 PM

It was too all over the place (trying to mix elements of Lethal Weapon, Mission: Impossible, and a dash of The X-Men) and it didn't make any sense to me. I was just bored out of my mind reading it and just thinking at the end: when it revealed that Senator Shockwave created Optimus Prime, why am I not surprised?
Because honestly I wasn't surprised by the end of Shadowplay just grateful to be done with the story and looking for Tynol for the headache I got reading that thing. Generally speaking comics, books, movies, TV shows, video games, music, and media that gives me a headache I generally tend not to like.

I actually enjoyed The who shot Red Alert and why sub-plot (Now that should have been the main focus and the flashback story a sub-plot) was far interesting to me than making Optimus Prime into Danny Glover/Tom Cruise/Sir Patrick Stweart type character. That was the only time Roberts wrote Magnus in a way that didn't make him into a joke.

Cyberstrike nTo
2013-10-31, 04:57 PM
Prowl who is not yet evil and who cares for people and such.

I like dark Prowl because he's exciting over nice Prowl who was and is boring.

Red Dave Prime
2013-10-31, 09:43 PM
It was too all over the place (trying to mix elements of Lethal Weapon, Mission: Impossible, and a dash of The X-Men) and it didn't make any sense to me. I was just bored out of my mind reading it and just thinking at the end: when it revealed that Senator Shockwave created Optimus Prime, why am I not surprised?
Because honestly I wasn't surprised by the end of Shadowplay just grateful to be done with the story and looking for Tynol for the headache I got reading that thing. Generally speaking comics, books, movies, TV shows, video games, music, and media that gives me a headache I generally tend not to like.

I actually enjoyed The who shot Red Alert and why sub-plot (Now that should have been the main focus and the flashback story a sub-plot) was far interesting to me than making Optimus Prime into Danny Glover/Tom Cruise/Sir Patrick Stweart type character. That was the only time Roberts wrote Magnus in a way that didn't make him into a joke.

But Shockwave doesnt create Prime - The Matrix creates Prime (Autocracy) . Orion is saved and modified by Senator Shockwave but thats in Chaos Theory. Shadowplay is more about how Shockwave becomes who he is now.

And which character is Danny Glover/Tom Cruise/Patrick Stewart because those are three people I honestly would never associate as playing the same character.

Terome
2013-11-01, 04:12 PM
I like dark Prowl because he's exciting over nice Prowl who was and is boring.

Me too! But I especially like that Prowl has a definite gradient to his career. An overeager and thorough policeman who becomes a morally bankrupt, yet still largely benevolent, tyrant.

Skyquake87
2013-11-01, 10:06 PM
Just a shame Barber made that potentially interesting character arc crap by going 'Aha! He had a cerebro shell in his head all along!'. What rot.

As if good people can't do bad things for what they believe in. pssh.

I like Prowl. He's the Autobot's Shockwave, and its a shame such a crappy reverse feret was played in RID with him. I kind of liked him pushing his political agendas and whatnot.

...RID could have been really great.... sigh

Red Dave Prime
2013-11-02, 01:22 PM
Just a shame Barber made that potentially interesting character arc crap by going 'Aha! He had a cerebro shell in his head all along!'. What rot.

As if good people can't do bad things for what they believe in. pssh.

I like Prowl. He's the Autobot's Shockwave, and its a shame such a crappy reverse feret was played in RID with him. I kind of liked him pushing his political agendas and whatnot.

...RID could have been really great.... sigh

Yeah, there's a massive mis-step wih prowl in Rid which could have left Barber with a fantastic character and scenario in Prowl.

Looking back, I have to wonder if that was always the plan or did if he have something more interesting in mind.

I wonder how it would have been if Prowl HAD been in collusion with the Decepticons but with the main intention of smoking out their plan to prove to everyone that they were still a threat. And how great for his character if he had been the one to defeat Megatron (through deception no less!). After all, it would fit his character to see any double cross against him on Megatrons part coming. And it would tie nicely to Spotlight:Kup 2s point that the Autobots always get behind the reckless hero while guys like Prowl keep the things going. Here would be the guy who most of his colleagues hate not only proving that he was right but that he was the guy who saved the day.

The next arc could naturally examin how a control-freak like Prowl becomes when there is nothing left to control (Megs captured, Cons defeated).

Rid could have been great and still might. There's enough bright spots in Barbers writing to believe that maybe he can build something unique and original once Dark Cybertron has sorted out all the loose strands.

Cyberstrike nTo
2013-11-04, 08:42 PM
But Shockwave doesnt create Prime - The Matrix creates Prime (Autocracy) . Orion is saved and modified by Senator Shockwave but thats in Chaos Theory. Shadowplay is more about how Shockwave becomes who he is now.

And which character is Danny Glover/Tom Cruise/Patrick Stewart because those are three people I honestly would never associate as playing the same character.

He's all 3 at different points. Shadowplay was to me a major disappointment. My biggest problem with MTMTE is that on a macro level the series works, but in terms of smaller story arcs it just barely works. None of the smaller arcs I would say is great and a few are just downright awful (like the MTMTE 2012 Annual) most are just meh. It's only when they are put together as a whole does the series comes off as great.

And RID is the same.