PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a download site for Outlook on Win7.

Auntie Slag
2013-11-28, 11:34 AM
A friend needs to install Outlook Express on a Windows 7 laptop. I thought it would be a simple download, but looking at Microsoft's website shows it's been replaced by Live Mail. That's fine, but my friend needs to play around with Outlook for legacy purposes, specifically because there are still stacks of companies using Office 2003, '07 or '10 where Outlook still looks as we all remember it.

Does anyone know of a website where I can download good old common-or-garden Outlook?

[Edit] Just searching around a bit, it seems the final version on Windows was Outlook Express 6. It was included with Windows XP and is not available as a separate download.
It will not work on Windows 7 anyway.

One site suggests using Mozilla Thunderbird:

In anyone's opinion, is Thunderbird about as close as I'm going to get in terms of the traditional look of Outlook express, both visually and functionally?

In terms of the buttons and options all being in similar drop down menu's and whatnot.

Unicron
2013-11-28, 09:50 PM
Well, considering what you've found out this isn't going to be all that helpful but I have to mention it since it's a handy site to know about: www.oldversion.com
They've got a boatload of old versions of a wide variety of programs up for download.

As for Thunderbird, never used it. As useless as this advice would be, best thing to do would probably be install it and check it out, see if's close enough

Auntie Slag
2013-11-29, 12:26 PM
Cool, thanks Unicron. As regards my friend I think I may start out with a trial version of Office, which would at least allow 30 days formality with Outlook and it's integration into the other Office packages.

But thanks also for the link. I only use old computers (cheap to source, easy to fix, cheaper or legacy software), so that site is very handy for me :smokin: