PDA

View Full Version : RIP Nelson Mandela

inflatable dalek
2013-12-06, 08:48 AM
Thought I'd start a thread just in case any of you had missed the low key news coverage.

Not only one of the key political figures of the last century, but also one of the few (only?) left to go who was pretty much Universally liked and respected (or at least, any white South African's still pissed are having the good sense to stay very, very quiet at the moment).

Whilst I don't think he was quite the perfect saint he is often painted as (but probably a lot closer than any politician) the mere fact his forgive and move on stance almost certainly stopped the collapse of apartheid becoming a very nasty civil war is in and of itself a remarkable achievement, let alone all the other things he managed to do as well.

And boy, I thought I was politically cynical but I don't have anything on the way my Mother was ranting at Cameron offering his "Condolences" on the news this morning. As she gets more and more radical as she gets older I suspect she'll be the one lining people up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Skyquake87
2013-12-06, 09:50 PM
Because I'm a fossil, I remember what a huge deal it was seeing him released in 1990. The patience and dignity of the man whilst he was jailed was incredible. And yes, the way the anti-apartheid held and was a relatively peaceful transition was incredible.

Cyberstrike nTo
2013-12-09, 07:24 PM
The world is a little better because Nelson Mandela lived in it. That is all I can say about him.

And boy, I thought I was politically cynical but I don't have anything on the way my Mother was ranting at Cameron offering his "Condolences" on the news this morning. As she gets more and more radical as she gets older I suspect she'll be the one lining people up against the wall when the revolution comes.

You should check out the downright stupid and racist replies to stupid crazy Republican Texas Senator Ted Cruz's Facebook posting about Mandela. Granted Cruz is just as crazy, racist, and stupid as the GOP/Tea Party are, but he does one thing that isn't stupid, racist, or crazy he gets racked over the coals for it. :down: :down: :down:

Then the morons running the GOP/Tea Party wonders why it's struggling to connect with voters.