PDA

View Full Version : IDW Classic UK Comics Collections

numbat
2014-01-03, 07:36 PM
Dunno if this is the right place for this, but picked up the first for volumes of IDW's reprints of Marvel UK Transformers comics. I had more or less forgotten these, but my grandfather used to read them to me when I was wee, and later I read them. I saw them on sale on Comixology the other day at 4.99 per volume, and all four takes me up to #145 of the UK only material. I figured it could be fun to read these to my kid(s) (first is due in March - and I'll need to convince my incredibly anti-TF wife but I have time...), but it's been a miserable day of torrential rain and 100mph winds here so I've been dipping in myself (great excuse) - they're really pretty good! The vocabulary used is a lot more advanced than modern comics aimed at a similar (or higher) age group. Really am pretty chuffed.

The UK only stuff does seem to be better quality than the equivalent US material, but maybe that's just a cultural thing.

Anyhoo, that's 19.96 well spent!

Auntie Slag
2014-01-03, 08:42 PM
Really happy for your major bargain there Numbat, and some great reading. I find it very annoying when digital versions cost a third of the printed edition. In this case I'm referring to any collected Transformers works on Amazon, like the one's you've mentioned. I really want to get Chaos Theory, and then only because it contains the two Roberts issues about Prime and Megatron before the war. Paper copy has forever held steady at 14.99 whilst the Kindle edition is 4.58. When it comes to comics I would rather have a paper copy to fully appreciate the art and panel layout blah blah blah. But really, that much of a premium?

If the paper volumes were the same price as the Kindle editions, or even a pound more I'd buy all the Costa stuff, -ation's and... well that'd be it. But they remain at bonkers money.

And that's a personal thing. I think of them as bonkers money because I know I won't get THAT much repeated reading out of them, whereas say a TPB of MTMTE would be re-read over the years many times.

inflatable dalek
2014-01-03, 11:05 PM
On the plus side Notabot, once you've got the little sprog just getting him/her to shut up with be of much higher value than your wife's worries about your toy/comic collection. If letting them fiddle with a Jumpstater or having Daddy read some of his favourite comics to them will buy a few minutes of well earned rest she (and indeed you) will be well up for it.

numbat
2014-01-04, 03:25 PM
Numbat, Notabot, what's the difference?

;)

Yeah, I am hopeful that things will be easier in this respect once the wee fellow is here. My wife actually has very specific issues with Transformers... (In fact, I brought this up yesterday and was told that I was to hide all my Transformers so our kid never sees them in case he likes them, which came as a bit of a surprise...)

As to electronic comics, I first thought they were the Devil's work, but I've really come round and now buy very few paper comics anymore. I love the guided view system on Comixology (I've tried other Apps and none come close on this front), and really like how you can appreciate the art in individual panels. Guided view native comics are also a real blast if done well, and there are more and more of these. I do admit though that large spreads are more difficult to appreciate on pads, but I am using a Google Nexus 7, which my wife bought for reading books while traveling in Australia. She's given me a virtual larger pad for Christmas though - just have to go and physically buy one, and I think a 10 inch screen should be great for reading comics.

I actually find though that sales / prices on digital comics are worse than paper. There are benefits - you never have to hunt for that illusive rare issue for instance. But also, many series / publishers (especially Marvel) keep prices the same for ever. Sure, the odd issue 1 may be free, but that's just to reel you in. There are really great 0.69 (ie $0.99) sales and good collection sales too, but they last for only a day or two, so you have to buy there and then, or miss the deal. And, of course, it's rarely comics you want, but sod's law disctates all of yours come up in quick succession (I've stockpiled several over the last week on brief but amazing sales, whereas it has been three months since there has been anything I'm interested in on sale). So there are drawbacks too.

I guess one of the biggest benefits (guided view aside) is the fact they take up no shelf space, which is my wife's only issue with comics in general (although she has specific issues with TFs and anything she perceives as a superhero too).

I guess, as I fell away from comics when I was about 12 or so, and only rediscovered how awesome they are at 30 picking them up in a new format like digital isn't so hard, but then I doubt it's to everyone's taste. (I do still love the feel and smell of a physical book though, and am continuing to collect Deadpool TPBs as well as Rachel Rising and Nowhere Men physical issues.)

Auntie Slag
2014-01-04, 03:57 PM
Good points there Nutabat, my fear of digital stems from the format. I fear one day finding my copies won't load because they're fatally incompatible with Comixology Guided View v7.1

As it stands I've got various documents in different formats on different hard drives that I need to copy/paste into something more futureproof. Bloody annoying. I even came across an instance where the more recent Microsoft Office wouldn't open an .rtf or even an older version of it's own .doc format! The answer I got from an Office zealot online was "What do you expect? .rtf is ancient, no-one uses that now, and same with .doc" (and this despite the fact that .rtf is supposed to be a universal format!?!)

That's a lot of housekeeping you've got to do as the years go by and by... film at eleven!

numbat
2014-01-05, 10:21 AM
Good points there Nutabat, my fear of digital stems from the format. I fear one day finding my copies won't load because they're fatally incompatible with Comixology Guided View v7.1...
Yeah, this worries me quite a bit too.

I fairly obsessively download all MP3s and other cloud-based purchases I can onto a laptop, and keep a couple of external hard-drive copies (along with my digital photos for the last decade).

I've had similar experiences with Microsoft - I have a grand total of four computers owned by my company, three of which were bought around the same time and the fourth was bought four years ago. Ironically, only one computer manages to open all files and that is the four year old one! (Unfortunately, for other reasons, it's on its last legs and needs replaced...) We're very careful to use backwards compatible file types, but it can be a hassle to set the newest version of Word (and other Office software) to do this, because clearly it's not in Microsoft's interests.