PDA

View Full Version : MTMTE Trivia/errors/goofs thread

Knightdramon
2014-01-20, 08:41 PM
Recently re-read the entire run, was surprised at the number of trivia and small errors I found around.

This is a place of philosophical contemplation, so please add/discuss the findings.

Trivia
Issue 1
-Um...Pipes is seen ducking on the bottom of the panel where Rung is hit by Cyclonus as he flies by with Whirl.

Issue 2
-Skids' entire backstory is revealed in Remain the Light. The fact that he's got a gun he's not noticing, the transforming space shuttle, "1984" are all a mission against Tyrest, sanctioned by Prowl, gone wrong.
-We get some glimpses of Hyperion, who has a shady backstory. Hyperion was the [allegedly] one of the leaders of the Wreckers, serving at *one* point with leaders Crest and Impactor in a battle against Black Shadow. Seeing as he's not acknowledged to be a Wrecker by Springer in LSOTW, and he's not dead , he was either kicked out for dementia or dishonorable discharge.

[B]Issue 3
-The "history of war montage" whilst Cyclonus narrates has some interesting tidbits. First of, Megatron is showing below the info board he smashed up in Chaos Theory, which resembles a decepticon symbol. That's the first panel, as in a "beginning of end" thing. Right next to it, Sentinel is seen over a weird machine overlooking a comatose Nominus Prime, with Black Shadow next to him. Seriously, nobody ever in the fandom and the wiki took note of Black Shadow being a part of the Senate there? Soundwave engraving the Decepticon insignia on a 'con who shows up again in Shadowplay AND is the first con Ironfist says he saw back in LSOTW. Impactor fighting Sideswipe [who bears a Senate insignia] and Sunstreaker, *possibly* but unverified the people who arrested him in Chaos Theory. Prowl examining a piece in the autopsy scene of Senator Sherma, hanging. Starscream ready to shoot Senator Proteus, a bomber blitzing the High Imperium [where Pax gave his speech and declared them Autobots in Chaos Theory], Grimlock choosing between Autobot and Decepticon symbols...all the while Megatron is aiming Vos [in sniper riffle mode] at what, storywise, is Zeta Prime's assasination [which became a different thing in Autocracy].
PHEW.

Issue 5
-Prowl [the lion] is among the bots seen in the flashback when the deadly sonic wave hit them.

Issue 6
-Bar scene, first few pages. Skids mentions that the Ultra Magnus he remembers would make wisecrack jokes whilst beating you to death whilst arresting you. Due to the nature of the medium of the story, it seems as if Skids was sarcastic...but Remain in Light shines a very different light to that.
-Likewise, Whirl mentions the "persuasive powers of Empurata". For nearly, nearly half a year, people thought that Empurata was a mystical transformer or senate enforcer. Nope.

Issue 7
-Thanks to some flashback scenes, we get a few glimpses of cybertronian history--Black Shadow battling an iteration of Wreckers being one of them. The Wreckers pictured here are Impactor [not leader at that point], Crest [leader of that iteration], Valve [white coloured bot in the background, brother of Springarm and Wheelarch in chaos theory], Rack or Ruin [not yet joined], Hyperion and an as of yet unnamed white and red bot that dies. It's captioned as the 11th iteration of Wreckers, with 3 confirmed kills on that battle. Meaning there's at least one bot not pictured.
--Valve survives this battle due to defecting to the Decepticons later on. Impactor survives due to being alive in present. Hyperion survives due to being alive by issue 2. Rack or Ruin survives because at some point they both get joined up. Crest dies in this battle [the original script called for Black Shadow decapitating him].
-113 battalion includes Nightbeat, Kup, Pyro, Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus and Hardhead among at least 3003 other bots.

Issue 9
-Chromedome has got a design matching his G1 toy/body.

Issue 21
-Extremely minor, but after Magnus is put back together [final page, essentially]...his face is drawn slightly different. It almost appears as if he has whiskers.

Errors
Issue 5
--Magnus makes a boo-boo. He's teaching Tailgate the Autobot code. Which, describes how to be an autobot in a universe of mostly organic life. Tailgate asks about the 1984 clause, to which Magnus replies "it was added after your time".

--Autobots didn't exist before Tailgate's time, which implies that there was nothing to add to the code after his time, because the code didn't exist back then! The Autobots came to be very shortly before Sentinel's time, and Tyrest turned from scientist to chief justice only during Optimus's term.

Issue 7
-Standing on a huge field of dead robots from a skirmish ages ago, the Scavengers muse on how the Autobots came back to collect their dead, but the Decepticons didn't. A few scenes later, the Decepticons have used a nearly dead Autobot as the setting point for their fire. Which they then kill. Kind of a weird omission, seeing as the autobots had done a sweep of the planet.

Issue 20/21
--Tyrest says that the one thing every bot plugged into Aequitas has in common is that they're constructed cold and guilty. However, Impactor, who is explicitly stated to be a 0.1 percenter heavy weight class [meaning he is forged], was found guilty as well.
-----------------------------------FIXED FOR TRADE-----------------------
Impactor changed to Grimlock, otherwise, same dialogue.
--------------
I swear I have got a billion more, but these are on the top of my head now.

inflatable dalek
2014-01-20, 08:58 PM
There's that wonderful "Obvious in retrospect" bit in issue 6 where Skids points out the duly appointed enforcer of the Tyrest accord isn't the Ultra Magnus he used to know...

Knightdramon
2014-01-20, 09:01 PM
Aye, but that piece of wonderful hint could only work in static comic book feature.

Keep playing it in my head, the reason it worked so well as foreshadowing is that you don't hear Skids say it [so you assume he's sarcastic], his expression is static, and you don't see anybody react to it at all...

All because it's a static comic book page! Weeee

Summerhayes
2014-01-20, 09:32 PM
Tyrest walked out on Impactor's trial, didn't he? And it lead to Aequitas' liquidation. So maybe he didn't count it among the others.

Red Dave Prime
2014-01-21, 01:51 AM
re:the tyrest thing - I didnt take it to be that the forged couldnt be found guilty, just that all the cold constructed were. Must have a re-read on that bit.

Unicron
2014-01-21, 02:11 AM
Yeah, I too read the Tyrest thing as "all constructed cold are guilty (or will be), but not all guilty are constructed cold".
Could also be that what Tyrest said is exactly what he meant, what with him not being an entirely reliable source, considering the crazy and the brain damage.

I'm sure that's one of those things that'll get cleaned up or explained later. Like what the hell was Overlord looking for under Aequitas, or exactly what Chromedome did that was so horrible that he mind raped Prowl to keep it a secret.

Knightdramon
2014-01-21, 08:17 AM
I'm sure that's one of those things that'll get cleaned up or explained later. Like what the hell was Overlord looking for under Aequitas, or exactly what Chromedome did that was so horrible that he mind raped Prowl to keep it a secret.

I'll add that to the trivia as well. Or at least, my speculation.

In shadowplay, when Prowl and Chromedome find the institute under the clinic for the first time, the narration is like "it was under the spark extraction chambers and the whiteout vacuums"

Which sounds suspiciously like the equipment used or mentioned in Garrus 9.

And with Overlord having a [newly-shown] affinity for mind reading and incomplete training, I'm guessing he had a hint from somebody that underneath Aequitas is the New Institute.

Unicron
2014-01-21, 08:44 PM
In shadowplay, when Prowl and Chromedome find the institute under the clinic for the first time, the narration is like "it was under the spark extraction chambers and the whiteout vacuums"
That reminds me of an odd thing I noticed. What is up with them finding the Institute under the whiteout vacuums when later in Chromedome's memory of his chat with Prowl about Overlord, Prowl flatout says there's no such thing as a whiteout vacuum?

inflatable dalek
2014-01-21, 08:56 PM
I thought what Chromedome was supposed to be erasing out of Prowl's memories was his previous pre-Rewind partners and what he'd done to himself in order to try and forget?

Knightdramon
2014-01-21, 09:18 PM
Maaaaaaaaaaaybe [far fetched] Prowl meant there's no whiteout vacuums on Cybertron, which was pretty barren at the moment.

Unless I'm wrong, Spotlight Arcee and some AHM codas did acknowledge whiteout vacuums. Isn't that where the barren sparks of the prisoners were held?

Unicron
2014-01-22, 02:53 AM
I thought what Chromedome was supposed to be erasing out of Prowl's memories was his previous pre-Rewind partners and what he'd done to himself in order to try and forget?
I don't think it was that. I mean Brainstorm wasn't exactly freaked out by it and Chromedome didn't express any shock at Brainstorm knowing, nor showed any signs of wanting him to keep it quiet. I could easily be wrong though.

Maaaaaaaaaaaybe [far fetched] Prowl meant there's no whiteout vacuums on Cybertron, which was pretty barren at the moment.

Unless I'm wrong, Spotlight Arcee and some AHM codas did acknowledge whiteout vacuums. Isn't that where the barren sparks of the prisoners were held?
First, curse you for making me dig out my comic box so I could check Spotlight Arcee and such. ;)

Ok, Prowl's exact words: "There's no such thing as a whiteout vacuum. It's a cover story intended to give me-us-High Command- time to work out what to do with him." Doesn't exactly read like there just aren't any in the neighborhood.

Spotlight Arcee doesn't call the spark storage system a whiteout vacuum. In fact, there's no specific name for it, aside from it possibly being what was referred to as "The Rig". No mention in the AHM: Coda issues either.
Seems the first use of the term 'whiteout vacuum' was in Shadowplay.

Oh, and while checking the wiki for something, I noticed a little bit of info buried down in the notes on Impactor's page: The mention of Impactor being a Point One Percenter was an error, and was corrected in the trade (checked mine, the reference to him is changed to Grimlock). So that could make Tyrest's claim valid.

Knightdramon
2014-01-22, 08:22 AM
First, curse you for making me dig out my comic box so I could check Spotlight Arcee and such. ;)

Ok, Prowl's exact words: "There's no such thing as a whiteout vacuum. It's a cover story intended to give me-us-High Command- time to work out what to do with him." Doesn't exactly read like there just aren't any in the neighborhood.

Oh, and while checking the wiki for something, I noticed a little bit of info buried down in the notes on Impactor's page: The mention of Impactor being a Point One Percenter was an error, and was corrected in the trade (checked mine, the reference to him is changed to Grimlock). So that could make Tyrest's claim valid.

Hmmm...not to beat a dead horse, but it could mean there wasn't a whiteout vacuum on cybertron, as they said it's a cover story to give them time to figure out what to do with Overlord. But again, until we get a better understanding of it...

Aaaw...too bad about Impactor. Seems like Roberts realized his own booboo and corrected it, taking Impactor out of the badass category and into the cannon fodder again :lol:

Volume 5 is the one I don't have yet, so my trivia/whatnot for Remain in Light are from the individual issues.

Red Dave Prime
2014-01-22, 12:45 PM
I don't think it was that. I mean Brainstorm wasn't exactly freaked out by it and Chromedome didn't express any shock at Brainstorm knowing, nor showed any signs of wanting him to keep it quiet. I could easily be wrong though.

The difference is that if it is what Prowl meant then he makes the threat that he will tell Rewind about the previous Spark-mates. When Brainstorm discusses it with Chromedome, Rewind is dead (well....) and there is no threat of him finding out.

Knightdramon
2014-01-22, 05:45 PM
I don't think the threat is about his previous partners at all. It's about something much worse.

Warcry
2014-01-22, 06:18 PM
The difference is that if it is what Prowl meant then he makes the threat that he will tell Rewind about the previous Spark-mates. When Brainstorm discusses it with Chromedome, Rewind is dead (well....) and there is no threat of him finding out.
But the thing about that is, Chromedome himself has no idea that he had previous partners before Rewind because he'd erased those memories entirely. He couldn't have subsequently erased that knowledge from Prowl's mind, because he wouldn't have known what to erase in the first place. So Prowl must have been threatening to tell Rewind about something else entirely.

Unicron
2014-01-22, 08:29 PM
But the thing about that is, Chromedome himself has no idea that he had previous partners before Rewind because he'd erased those memories entirely. He couldn't have subsequently erased that knowledge from Prowl's mind, because he wouldn't have known what to erase in the first place. So Prowl must have been threatening to tell Rewind about something else entirely.
Yeah, that's the key reason why I think Chromedome's self erasure isn't what Prowl was talking about, Just wasn't springing to mind till now.

I'm thinking Prowl's blackmail attempt was in reference to either something really, really awful in general or something involving Dominus Ambus. And I'm leaning towards Ambus, because if it was something generically bad, Chromedome wouldn't want anyone to know. So it's got to be something that would really hack off Rewind but may not be as huge a deal to everyone else.

Auntie Slag
2014-01-30, 03:52 PM
Towards the end of Remain in Light, it's revealed that Skids is part of Prowl's super secret smart Wreckers, and that Skids shot himself in the head with the 1984 Thought Warfare bullet (which is Prowl's kind of tactic and the reason why Magnus doesn't know it exists in the field, or that his equal in High Command is using it!) and that is the reason for the missing six months in Skids' memory.

But it doesn't answer the other, massive chunk of his memory that is also missing. Something that occurred after Shadowplay? The only reason I mention it now is because I thought Skids' backstory had been resolved, but actually it hasn't.

Also, Whirl may be very funny and cool, but he also beat seven bells out of Rotorstorm on a regular basis, and only deserted when he'd nearly killed the poor guy.

So there's two good stories we'll hopefully be getting post Dark Cybertron!

You know, if Prowl is messing around with thought warfare tech that Magnus doesn't like... how far can Magnus trust Pax? Presuming that Pax himself knows what Prowl is up to. Maybe Pax doesn't know? But maybe Pax relies on Chromedome as a way to control Prowl (using mind rubbers) in the event that Prowl ever get too um... Prowley?

Knightdramon
2014-01-30, 07:03 PM
I'm under the impression that Prowl is doing a LOT of things that Prime does not know.

For instance, Prime didn't know of the override protocols in Kup's mind until it was needed to be used in the heat of the battle.

I'm pretty sure that something as daring as "taking down" the Chief Justice of the race is not something he sanctioned by Prime first.

Prowl, especially when written by Roberts and Roche, has proven that he means well [an end to Decepticons], but has an extremely gray moral code.

Auntie Slag
2014-01-30, 07:36 PM
Yeah, he does mean well... and his well meaningness meant that he wasn't killing Tyrest, just nudging him with a thought. So he's not stepping on Prime's toes as such.

I do think MTMTE Prowl is ace. The little tinker!

Terome
2014-01-30, 11:18 PM
Also, Prowl is usually proven right by the narrative. If Skids had been successful in nudging Tyrest a whole lot of grief could have been avoided.

Knightdramon
2014-01-31, 10:52 AM
It can be argued. So far, the things Prowl has done in secret have both benefited and worsened the bots in the long and short term.

Using Overlord to gain insight for Autobot phase sixers? A solid plan...it could be argued that by not letting anybody know he's abroad, it was Rodimus that messed this up and made this far more dangerous than it ever should have been.

Suggesting they kill Megatron, when he was a prisoner, in chaos theory? Considering what little Megatron did in the RID saga, it wouldn't make much of a difference, but then again, nobody would have been able to stop the titan gestalt at the end of Chaos.

Going after the Decepticon movement, solo, in RID? Halfway through he botched it up, got Blurr damaged and got himself in a whole different mess.

Trying to stop Tyrest? You could say that Tyrest was hesitant of using the grand cross machine he had, but Prowl's assassination suddenly nudged him into thinking that he was right and should go on with it.