PDA

View Full Version : So, arson...

Clay
2014-02-08, 07:27 PM
My family grows tomatoes and lettuce hydroponically year-round, and our primary customers are school districts all through Kentucky. A little over a week ago, our main equipment building caught fire, destroying the tractor, waste oil heater, tools, etc. That's pretty bad. A day later, the sheriff's made an arrest and a fellow confessed to setting the fire on purpose. That's worse.

Not really sure how to react to something like this. I'm sure anger is in there somewhere, but... I dunno. It's weird. Anyone else been a victim of a crime like this? What did you do?

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/ky-state-news/local-farmer-loses-80-percent-of-crop-242848421.html

http://www.tribunecourier.com/view/full_story/24509277/article-Former-Wyatt-Farms-employee-arrested-in-connection-to-fire?

Rack 'n Ruin
2014-02-08, 07:43 PM
Wow man, that sucks. I hope your family are covered by insurance, and get sorted and back to business soon. I have no experience of this sort of thing, so have no sage advice to impart, I'm afraid. I guess it must help that the police have caught the arsonist? Hopefully justice will be done, at least.

Sades
2014-02-08, 08:08 PM
No experience here either, and also hoping insurance will cover it... Also, glad no one was hurt by it.

Edit: Read article, saw no insurance. Ugh.

inflatable dalek
2014-02-08, 08:17 PM
What a cock juggling thunder ****. If there's one good thing, it's that no one was hurt. As with the others, here's hoping the insurance covers it.

Notabot
2014-02-08, 10:30 PM
One of our churches in a nearby town had an arsonist break in and light a fire that caused massive damage a couple years ago. There was certainly a great amount of anger for people (especially since the police caught the kid, he confessed, but they said they couldn't really press charges because of a technicality). In the long run, though, it actually wound up being something of a blessing for the congregation. Many members who had fallen away from the church came back asking what they could do to help. In addition, the whole town really rallied around the congregation, helping in so many ways and showing an unpredicted amount of support. Their insurance was current and replaced the burned and smoke damaged belongings with new items, and the insurance company actually encouraged them to update outdated items (i.e. get a CD Player for the burned cassette player, etc.).

It stinks that someone would purposely burn your belongings (whether they thought they had a reason or not), and I think some anger is going to be natural. But hopefully there will be some good that comes out of it in some way. And, as all have said, you can be thankful that nobody was hurt.

Knightdramon
2014-02-08, 10:47 PM
Having read the article...

Did you, by any chance, mistreat that individual either personally or as an employee?
Do you know if he has ties to any of your business rivals in the area/state?

Not to point fingers or anything, but it seems extremely random that an ex-employee would commit to such a large gross of damage. Perhaps he felt that you owed him money?

Is there any surveillance system that might have caught the perpetrator?

I'm only asking because, well, arson leaves few traces of involvement, the article mentioned the police had a tip and went to that guy, and that guy confessed. So maybe he's even covering for somebody.

Either way, not much I can do, but if you need a person to speak to, I'm always around brother.

Clay
2014-02-09, 03:12 AM
Thanks guys :)

I'm only asking because, well, arson leaves few traces of involvement, the article mentioned the police had a tip and went to that guy, and that guy confessed. So maybe he's even covering for somebody.

He's had a history of destructive behavior going all the way back to the third grade, where my mother knew him (don't know if she had him in class personally, though). As for the tip, apparently he had held someone with him at gunpoint who, once he got away, called in the sheriff's department. He was still at the scene, just watching the fire from across the road with diesel fuel soaked pants.

So... he's just a lunatic. I can actually process that more easily.

inflatable dalek
2014-02-09, 03:54 AM
Not to point fingers or anything, but it seems extremely random that an ex-employee would commit to such a large gross of damage. Perhaps he felt that you owed him money?

Oh, I've met a few very random people who would do exactly that if they were let outside after dark. The most extreme example is someone who came on-board to my place of work as tempary Christmas staff four or five years ago, who turned up every night completely pissed and would spend most of his evening working down the meat aisle waving a leg of lamb about going "If I ever see my ex-girlfriend again I will smash her head in with this!" *WOOOSH WOOOSH*.

he didn't last long, but he's exactly the sort of person who would have done mad shit to his ex-employer just for not being kept on, if he'd been capable of walking and... well walking by the time he was sacked.

Rack 'n Ruin
2014-02-09, 02:08 PM
Mm. The arsonist certainly sounds like he puts the "ass" into "asset to society". I hope he never bothers the family again.

Also, having now read the linked news articles properly, I'm sorry to hear about the insurance situation. I hope the company is able to bounce back soon. :(

Denyer
2014-02-09, 09:19 PM
Not that it'd probably be much consolation, you've always struck as reasonable and not particularly vengeful, but shame his clothing didn't mysteriously catch alight when he was picked up.

Hope this doesn't set things back completely.

Clay
2014-02-11, 03:45 AM
Even without insurance, it should be okay... there seems to be enough community support and committed demand from the schools we supply that we should able to rebuild in confidence. Big problem at the moment in the blood-sucking, parasitic credit union that wants the land that the farm is on, but that's been an ongoing battle since before the fire (and we're not the only ones that've had problems with them).

Will know more Wednesday after a meeting with legal counsel. Fun days, indeed.

Sades
2014-02-11, 05:52 AM
Even without insurance, it should be okay... there seems to be enough community support and committed demand from the schools we supply that we should able to rebuild in confidence. Big problem at the moment in the blood-sucking, parasitic credit union that wants the land that the farm is on, but that's been an ongoing battle since before the fire (and we're not the only ones that've had problems with them).

Will know more Wednesday after a meeting with legal counsel. Fun days, indeed.

:up: Seriously, I hope it all works out. I hate the nature of the internets when it comes to things like this- I wish I could assist somehow, but I can't do anything and just saying "Best of luck" feels really lame, but really- best of luck.

Knightdramon
2014-02-12, 11:50 PM
Yeah, agree. From a hicksvile town in the UK I can't do much than offer any consolidating any kind words, but I'm around ;)

Good thing that you make it appear as a [minor] setback. Goodwill and a strong community go a long way to building/rebuilding something.

Terome
2014-02-13, 02:25 PM
I once got talking to a fire expert who was setting controlled fires around the Kruger National Park so that he could backtrack out their cause to help British arson investigators. He had some interesting stuff to say about the evolution of fire-affinity. Seeing as humans are uniquely attracted to fire from the moment they see it, it makes sense to think that there is a genetic component to it. If it is genetic, there will of course be variance throughout the population. He was of the opinion that pyromaniacs were born, not made, and that you could set your watch by their prison releases and fires cropping up near their homes.

It was probably one pyromaniac ape that was responsible for all of us thinking fire is kind of neat. It's not a huge stretch to imagine that occasionally someone who is really really into fire will come up. The only thing that has changed is that we have things like property and laws so being really really into fire is no longer an adaptive trait to express.

So what I am trying to say is, a lack of motive is a pretty plausible to have when it comes to fire.

inflatable dalek
2014-02-13, 09:18 PM
Sounds like Terome has his defence all lined up for the day when he gets caught.