PDA

View Full Version : Transformers united TN-06 (I think) Optimus. ..worth picking up?

Prowl1984
2014-03-04, 02:04 PM
Yo! Looking to add a Generations Optimus to my collection and the Henkei/Classics is now crazy expensive. Looked at the United G1 figure but can't seem to find any reviews, have any of you guys got him?

Blackjack
2014-03-04, 03:54 PM
There are three United Optimus Primes, if memory serves, all three repaints of pre-existing toys. There was the WFC Optimus from Generations, the Laser Rod Optimus from RTS and the Deluxe Optimus from Classics. United toys are basically identical to their original releases save paint. Not sure which one you're talking about, but I'd wager it's the third.

We don't exactly have United reviews because they're near-identical to toys that are far readily available via Hasbro at that time, plus anything that isn't are repaints anyway.

Generations WFC Optimus Prime:
http://tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/gen_wfc_optimus.php

RTS Laser Rod Optimus Prime:
http://tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/2010_optimusprime2.php
http://tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/2010_optimusprime4.php

Deluxe Classics Optimus Prime:
http://tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/cla_optimus_megatron.php

EDIT: Looking up on TFWiki because I just realized you put the number in the title, it indeed is a repainted version of the Classics Optimus Prime. I don't own it, but the general thoughts on that mould is 'meh', I think? Not sure.

Prowl1984
2014-03-04, 03:58 PM
That's the one, the vehicle mode looks kinda flimsy but im looking for a decent Robot Mode to display with my other Generations figures y'see. Any recommendations?

Warcry
2014-03-04, 04:34 PM
The Classics Deluxe Optimus is basically an Action Master, his alt-mode is so weak. He is quite poseable and lots of fun to mess around with in robot mode, though. But if you're buying him for display, he's among the smallest Classics/Generations Deluxes, so he's going to look pretty silly on a shelf with his fellow Autobots. Unfortunately that's a problem that's shared by all the Deluxe Optimuses.

Blackjack
2014-03-04, 04:43 PM
I personally don't mind Deluxe Classics Optimus Prime's robot mode, but I don't own the toy myself so someone who does might be more experienced.

As far as modern incarnations of G1 Optimus Prime go, though, IIRC you're practically only limited to this, the Voyager (which seems out of the option considering your first post), Legends toys (too small), Orion Pax, Alternators, Alternity (all three not Primey enough), the G2 Laser Rod Prime (which is a G1 character but not a G1 design), WFC-related stuff (shit toys), Robot Masters (rarer and more expensive than Classics Prime I think), the Masterpiece (too big for a Generations display) or some super-expensive Revoltech or whatever that would cost more than hunting down a proper Classics-Henkei thing.

If you're looking for a robot mode for display purposes, by process of elimination Classics Deluxe (or United, as it were) is strangely your best bet. Just don't transform him, his alternate mode is horrid-looking.

It's strange how we've come so far and yet I cannot really recommend a good G1 Prime toy in scale with Generations toys.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Warcry, but it seems that, yes, the robot mode of the Classics Deluxe is indeed good, so if that's what you're going for that's the one you want.

EDIT2: I know Takara repaints Henkei Voyager Optimus Prime a lot of times in some kind of limited edition stupid clear-edition or chrome-edition or whatever, but I find it very, very surprising that the Voyager toy hasn't been properly repainted or released, not even as a Walmart exclusive deal.

Prowl1984
2014-03-04, 09:51 PM
Ah cheers guys, you've been a great help. And yeah considering the quality of the Generations line in general it's shocking that there's no definitive Optimus.

Knightdramon
2014-03-04, 11:16 PM
There's a new-ish release of the voyager mould in the new "cloud" line. Might be worth looking into that if you can find it for a reasonable price.

Otherwise, WFC Prime, despite the cybertronian vehicle.

Honourable mentions: FE Prime [looks good with classics] and the new voyager evasion Prime from AoE. Not out yet, but looks stylish and g1 enough to satisfy your taste.

Skyquake87
2014-03-05, 09:26 AM
I used to own the Classics version of Optimus that this United version is based on. It was horrible. No windows, ugly alt mode, silly top half of the chest spins around 'action feature'. It was dreadful. And based on the equally rubbish Robot Masters toy.

I don't really rate the Voyager toy very highly either. Whilst the alt mode looks good, the robot mode just looks wrong. Plus there's all that kibble. It really wouldn't have been too difficult to just simply update the original G1 toy.

Optimus seems to have suffered with some really crap toys outside the movie lines recently. The Prime version is okay, but has ball jointed hips so ends up doing the splits. A lot.

Blackjack
2014-03-05, 11:36 AM
Generally good Prime toys come from non-Classics lines. There are a lot of great Movie Optimus Primes out there (Voyager Battle Blades from RTS, Buster Optimus from ROTF and Butterfly Prime from DOTM being some notable ones), and several great Prime-era ones (First Edition in particular is gorgeous, but also Beast Hunters). There are some from other eras -- Robot Masters Optimus Primal and Deluxe Armada Optimus Prime are great-looking toys that had received good reviews over the years.

Of course, since you're looking for something with a G1-themed aesthetic...