PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #28 -- And we're back!

Death's Head
2014-03-28, 09:14 PM
http://www.newsarama.com/20708-transformers-mtmte-28-preview-the-dawn-of-megatron-the-autobot.html

Cliffjumper
2014-03-28, 11:16 PM
OH WOW I HOPE SWERVE DOES SOMETHING CRAZY LIKE A JOKE

Death's Head
2014-03-28, 11:59 PM
I'll be shipping everyone, when my feels have dried out.

zigzagger
2014-03-29, 01:23 AM
It's set up, but I like what I'm seeing so far. So ready to getting back to reading (and hopefully discussing) the title again.

If the variant cover is anything to go by, that's quite a shift in the core cast. Err... not that there really ever was one, but still...

Milne and Burcham are in top form, though. Everything looks crisp.

Terome
2014-03-29, 12:01 PM
Yes, this is a good set-up. Good idea to shuffle the cast around too - guys like Ratchet and Cyclonus had kind of finished their arcs.

Cool visual on Metroplex. Am not terribly sold on Megatron's new design but I'm sure Milne will get the feel of him before too long.

Glad that the idea of a trial came up immediately. Am looking forward to seeing how Megatron slips the noose.

April the 20th, yes? Ages!

Terome
2014-03-29, 12:05 PM
Further musings on the cast shuffle - if Chromedome was kinda-sorta the main character in the last set, who do we reckon will take his place?

My bet is on Skids or Nightbeat.

Denyer
2014-03-29, 12:10 PM
Intriguing.

Death's Head
2014-03-29, 12:31 PM
Did Getaway survive Dark Cybertron? Hope so!

Unicron
2014-03-29, 01:58 PM
Did Getaway survive Dark Cybertron? Hope so!
Well, he is on that one cover behind Nautica and in front of Skids. Tis not proof, but I'd say it's a good sign.

Looks like Mirage and Groove are some of the new Lost Light crewmembers. Really curious who all else ends up on board.

Auntie Slag
2014-03-29, 05:59 PM
Groove! Mr. laid back!

That's his entire tech spec, can't wait to see what will be made of him and Bluestreak. Have re-initiated my subscription at the local comic shop happily.

No more crossovers you bloody tarts at IDW. Did it boost sales? Did it do anything positive?

Will Transformers never be the same again... again?

Muppets.

Knightdramon
2014-03-29, 11:17 PM
Remember two years ago, more or less, when they divided characters, and Roberts wanted guys like Mirage and Bluestreak, but Barber had them because he had plans?

LOL what came of that? Mirage barely had a line and all Streak did was get a headshot over the span of 22 issues. Even Atomizer, who is brand new and the utter definition of background character, had more lines and things to do than these two.

Regardless, this looks very promising and it looks as if Roberts is having a lot of fun writing it and messing with us. Seeing as it's a psychotherapy session, -maybe- we're starting straight away with the promised sequel to Shadowplay? What better way to set it up via Megatron telling the story in flashbacks while being in session?

Terome
2014-03-29, 11:23 PM
Remember two years ago, more or less, when they divided characters, and Roberts wanted guys like Mirage and Bluestreak, but Barber had them because he had plans?

LOL what came of that? Mirage barely had a line and all Streak did was get a headshot over the span of 22 issues. Even Atomizer, who is brand new and the utter definition of background character, had more lines and things to do than these two.

Seeing as Barber took on the lion's share of the new toy introductions and Big Plot Stuff, I imagine quite a lot of the original plans for RID went out of the window as the months rolled by.

I imagine we'll be teased long before we're entirely satisfied but I'd be well up for a Shadowplay sequel.

Red Dave Prime
2014-03-30, 02:32 AM

oh you :lol:

Auntie Slag
2014-03-31, 01:53 PM
So when will this be available to the adoring public, coz like... an adoring publican wants to know.

Knightdramon
2014-03-31, 05:22 PM
I've read somewhere 20th of April, but don't quote me on that. Is that even a Wednesday?

Kind of an odd thought---USA has an "obsession" with naming parts of their stories "seasons", for instance, Lost Season 1, House season 2 etc.

On the opposite end, weirdly enough, the UK seems to use "series". Which is confusing because it almost sounds like a completely different show. Being Human 2nd series, Sherlock 3rd series and so on.

So how come the fruit of an English writer, in comic book format no less, is labelled as "season" from the get go?

And is this the very first time we've had that "distinction" in a transformers written story?

Auntie Slag
2014-03-31, 06:22 PM
That's a Thursday, so it must be the 19th. I've grown up with TV programmes being referred to as series, and even then series has (as far as I'm aware) only been majorly referred to when buying videos or DVD's. So for example when the new series of Red Dwarf was starting up again on TV we'd say "Oh, Red Dwarf starts again this Thursday". I don't recall ever saying "The third Series starts this Thursday" or whatnot.

One thing I hate is the term 'Season finale'. Talk about pompous. I would have been appalled if the final episode of Blackadder IV had been referred to at the time as a 'Season finale'. Its a very modern term and it seems to be accepted.

I think the American's call them seasons because the airing of a new series tends to coincide with the seasons of the weather. Like; "Coming this fall season, Lost Housewives of the Dead".

Their TV makes a big distinction between Spring, Summer, Autumn & Winter I think, as a way to focus the viewer to key TV events in time. I'm sure the UK will follow suit.

I think Roberts has done this because its a term of popular culture. The demographic reading MTMTE are probably well versed in seasons and DVD/video boxets since Star Trek: The Next Generation and Buffy. And its a good signpost for a fresh start.

Auntie Slag
2014-03-31, 06:31 PM
Although there may be a problem with calling something a season, it suggests something has a set course of so many issues. That's why I didn't like Remain in Lights numbering convention (issue 3 of 5), because the reader knows it's a five-part story and must be resolved in X number of issues. It affects tension and expectations.

I'd much rather that kind of info remain hidden. All we should be concerned about is the story and the characters... not told up front how long the story will be.

Target: 2006 never said Part 6 of 8 did it. It just hurtled on and freaked my little brain out with torture, death and fantastic Geoff Senior artwork, with NO indication that the whole thing was gonna be ring-fenced in three issues time. Was Galvatron just going to kill everyone? Who could tell?

Hardcore.

Warcry
2014-03-31, 06:52 PM
One thing I hate is the term 'Season finale'. Talk about pompous. I would have been appalled if the final episode of Blackadder IV had been referred to at the time as a 'Season finale'. Its a very modern term and it seems to be accepted.
That terminology's been pretty common for a long time on this side of the pond -- I remember talking about "season finales" back when I was watching TNG in the 80s.

Has it only just infilitrated the UK market recently?

Although there may be a problem with calling something a season, it suggests something has a set course of so many issues. That's why I didn't like Remain in Lights numbering convention (issue 3 of 5), because the reader knows it's a five-part story and must be resolved in X number of issues. It affects tension and expectations.
I completely agree with this. Though the solicits and advertising usually ruins this anyway, it would be nice to go into a new story without any expectations for how long it's going to run. You're definitely right about it impacting expectations. When you know a story is five issues long from the get-go you go in expecting something pretty wide in scope, and that's a shame. It'd be really nice if a comic would surprise me by jumping into a "big story" without telling me about it head of time.

Auntie Slag
2014-03-31, 07:05 PM
The good thing is you can ignore the solicits, pick up the issue when it arrives, and then talk about it afterwards, that's what I (try my best to) do.

The only time it worked was with Dinobot Hunt, and you knew exactly what you were getting there because Prowl does his full disclosure bit at the beginning and you feel as knowledgeable as the characters in the story. It worked great actually, and the big ruck at the end was a bonus!

As for the 'Season finale' term, I dunno... maybe it did come in around the time of Buffy. I wasn't aware of it anytime prior to that. I had no idea that Quantum Leap consisted of seasons, or Knight Rider or The A-Team.

Knightdramon
2014-03-31, 07:47 PM
Sometimes solicits can be deceptive and throw you off entirely...

Issue 6's solicits and the blue arm with a gun on Rung cover made me think that Skids would lose it and turn on the crew momentarily.

Shadowplay solicits actually made me not give a damn, which was funny because it's one of my favourite stories ever.

On the other end, the solicits, covers and preview for issue 12 made it seem as if the crew would go head to head with the DJD and the Scavengers.

Roberts went on to say last AA that he writes the first 3-5 pages with the mindset that they'll be revealed as previews; he puts just enough story in them in order not to ruin/spoil/reveal too much further down.

Death's Head
2014-03-31, 09:05 PM
Just to confuse matters, classic Doctor Who was arranged in 'seasons' but modern Who uses 'series'!

Cyberstrike nTo
2014-03-31, 10:39 PM
I've read somewhere 20th of April, but don't quote me on that. Is that even a Wednesday?

Kind of an odd thought---USA has an "obsession" with naming parts of their stories "seasons", for instance, Lost Season 1, House season 2 etc.

On the opposite end, weirdly enough, the UK seems to use "series". Which is confusing because it almost sounds like a completely different show. Being Human 2nd series, Sherlock 3rd series and so on.

So how come the fruit of an English writer, in comic book format no less, is labelled as "season" from the get go?

And is this the very first time we've had that "distinction" in a transformers written story?

A lot of it is cultural differences, as an American the word series (when used for TV and comics) means the whole thing like Angel for example would be every episode over the course of 5 seasons (or years) or in the case of comics the whole series. A series finale for MTMTE in America would mean or be interperted as "IDW is ending it!" I think that Roberts using the word "season" was basically saying: "my first major arc is ending not the series".

The whole season thing in comics has became more popular due to popular TV shows being picked and continued as a comic book series. Dark Horse had Buffy, The Vampire Slayer-Season 8 (it is now season 9 or season 10 I don't read the book) as a way to justifed doing a glorified maxi-series (a long run series that lasts for anywhere from 10-300 issues depending on the series) so when BtVS season 8 came to an end at whatever number it ended DH could do a restart with season 9 #1.

IDW also does it with The X-Files. I've been wanting IDW to do season 8 comics on Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek: Voyager and a season 5 comic of Star Trek: Enterprise.

Warcry
2014-04-01, 12:12 AM
Sometimes solicits can be deceptive and throw you off entirely...
Oh, I can't deny that. I'm thinking less about solicits spoiling the issue they're for than I am them spoiling the outcome of issues that haven't happened yet. If I'd cared about Dark Cybertron I would have been incredibly pissed that IDW was sending out cover pics featuring Megatron as an Autobot three or four issues before it happened in-story. It took something that would have been an utterly mind-blowing swerve and sucked all the emotion out of it. And it totally changes how you read the spoiled issue...instead of being surprised by Megatron's slowly growing epiphany until the final jaw-dropper hits, you're just waiting for the inevitable to happen.

Roberts went on to say last AA that he writes the first 3-5 pages with the mindset that they'll be revealed as previews; he puts just enough story in them in order not to ruin/spoil/reveal too much further down.
I figure that's probably common practice in this day and age of online previews. Though he doesn't always do a perfect job of it. Didn't the preview for the last chapter of Remain in Light skip a page to avoid spoiling a sadly unsurprising Roberts non-death?

IDW also does it with The X-Files. I've been wanting IDW to do season 8 comics on Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek: Voyager and a season 5 comic of Star Trek: Enterprise.
I don't see the Star Trek ones ever happening, because that ground has already been covered fairly exhaustively by the Pocket Books relaunches. As long as Pocket's universe is ongoing I don't think there will be a market for comics aimed at the same niche, because a good chunk of the potential readership is already invested in the existing relaunch stories.

Red Dave Prime
2014-04-01, 08:40 AM
Megatron as an Autobot three or four issues before it happened in-story. It took something that would have been an utterly mind-blowing swerve and sucked all the emotion out of it. And it totally changes how you read the spoiled issue...instead of being surprised by Megatron's slowly growing epiphany until the final jaw-dropper hits, you're just waiting for the inevitable to happen.

Absolutely. Its the big twist at the end of the whole Dark Cybertron saga (and I still dont think it was done well despite the enormous amount of page time they had) and its just thrown away with a cover reveal. Its bad enough to get a spoiler in the 3/5 page preview - you know whether you want to look but I think a cover like that should have been held back a bit.

Unicron
2014-04-01, 11:37 AM
Absolutely. Its the big twist at the end of the whole Dark Cybertron saga (and I still dont think it was done well despite the enormous amount of page time they had) and its just thrown away with a cover reveal. Its bad enough to get a spoiler in the 3/5 page preview - you know whether you want to look but I think a cover like that should have been held back a bit.
I think part of the problem on the cover reveal is that all of the covers for the issue in question give it away. I can see why they'd all have a cover like that, it's somewhat of an eyecatching thing if you recognize the significance. But yeah, they definitely need to come up with fake or placeholder covers situations like this.

Warcry
2014-04-01, 03:12 PM
It wouldn't even be an especially difficult task in this case -- just produce a version of the cover with Megs wearing a Decepticon badge and send that out with the solicits.

Of course that presupposes that IDW didn't want to spoil their own story but we all know that they did. They consciously chose to ruin the ending of their big six month long mega-series in the hopes of luring in casual buyers with a big shocking visual so they could rake in a few more dollars in sales in the short term.

Auntie Slag
2014-04-01, 03:30 PM
Yeah, the money shot is the problem. Otherwise I'm sure they would commission the artists to do cover images that didn't blow the reveal. Imagine if they did a cover that totally botched the Senator Shockwave bit in the final episode of Shadowplay?

If only they'd gone with an image of say; a table with some of high command sat round, a hand is in shot holding an Autobot badge and Rodimus looking stunned.

Or a partial silhouette minus the fusion cannon and only the badge is coloured.

I dunno, its not hard. They just totally went for the unit-shifting image. That's showbusiness.

inflatable dalek
2014-04-01, 04:29 PM

Look, if we promise to go round up everyone who voted for Swerve and force them to sign a disclaimer admitting they were wrong, will you let it go?

That's a Thursday, so it must be the 19th. I've grown up with TV programmes being referred to as series, and even then series has (as far as I'm aware) only been majorly referred to when buying videos or DVD's. So for example when the new series of Red Dwarf was starting up again on TV we'd say "Oh, Red Dwarf starts again this Thursday". I don't recall ever saying "The third Series starts this Thursday" or whatnot.

From the third series Red Dwarf was actually promoted in the Radio Times (and subsequently on video and DVD releases, with the first two years retroactively included) with the series number in the title (ie: Red Dwarf III). Which eventually even made it into the onscreen credits with series VII. Though exactly what Back to Earth Counts as (other than underwhelming) means we have a Red Dwarf X without having had a Red Dwarf IX.

Presumably there was some influence from the way Blackadder worked its series number into the show title every year as well (or possibly even the Primary and Secondary Phase stuff from the radio version of Hitchhikers).

The influence of the Big end of season episode goes back at least as far as when all those power dressing American soaps were big over here (Who Shot J.R.? was massive, and gave lots of good press coverage for a slow news day when the master tape for the resolution was brought into the country under armed guard), possibly even earlier as Doctor Who tried its hand at- a fairly rubbish and poorly executed- end of season cliffhanger in 1982 that, considering JNT's love of kitsch, was likely influenced by the American style.

Of course, "Has Tegan finally buggered off?", was about as exciting as the rest of Timeflight.

I think that, whilst "Series" is still "Officially" how production blocks of British shows are referred to most people not writing a thesis or working in the industry have happily taken up the American convention for casual conversation just because it is that little bit neater in differentiating between a year's worth of episodes and the entire run of a series.

Anyone remember how the people who put out the original British DVD of the first season of the G1 cartoon seemed to get a bit confused between the American and British methods and called it "The Complete Original Series Collection"?

Blake's 7 ended every season with a big cliffhanger as well, though half the time that was a "Wait, this isn't supposed to be the last episode after all? Bugger...." moment.

And that was a show that refered to it's seasons by letters. The weirdos.

I think the American's call them seasons because the airing of a new series tends to coincide with the seasons of the weather. Like; "Coming this fall season, Lost Housewives of the Dead".

Their TV makes a big distinction between Spring, Summer, Autumn & Winter I think, as a way to focus the viewer to key TV events in time. I'm sure the UK will follow suit.

in fairness, despite the Series thing, British TV does it's big launches based around specific times of the year as well (IIRC the Remembrance of the Daleks DVD has a trailer promoting it as part of the BBC's Autumn season launch, and traditionally the Summer is supposed to be a bit of a place to bury mildly rubbish shows as people are supposed to be outside enjoying the sun, though things are changing with catchup TV and the like).

Target: 2006 never said Part 6 of 8 did it. It just hurtled on and freaked my little brain out with torture, death and fantastic Geoff Senior artwork, with NO indication that the whole thing was gonna be ring-fenced in three issues time. Was Galvatron just going to kill everyone? Who could tell?

Target: 2006 was promoted as an 11 part story by the comic right from the off, the EPIC length basically being a selling point.

Yeah, I've pedantically and joylessly corrected two of your posts. That'll teach you to correct mistakes in my blog. BWAAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAHHHAAAAAAA.

Agreed on the dropped ball on the Autobot Megatron cover, I wonder how clumsy the attempts to set up the change in the final few issues would have seemed if we hadn't known it was coming?

Auntie Slag
2014-04-01, 05:18 PM
Target: 2006 was promoted as an 11 part story by the comic right from the off, the EPIC length basically being a selling point.

It actually says that in the comics somewhere?

[Edit] Oh yeah I see it now, issue 78: The column you've screenshotted on your blog of the same issue. Damn that's obscure, but ok. Point proven. I would definitely have glossed over that as a kid.

inflatable dalek
2014-04-01, 05:27 PM
It actually says that in the comics somewhere?

[Edit] Oh yeah I see it now, issue 78: The column you've screenshotted on your blog of the same issue. Damn that's obscure, but ok. Point proven. I would definitely have glossed over that as a kid.

The Transformation page mentioned it more than once over the course of the story's run as well (and, IIRC, the length was also played up in the weeks leading up to the start of the story). ;)

Auntie Slag
2014-04-01, 05:32 PM
OK, I never read those Transformation pages. The only bit of them I liked was the mention of who did the cover art, otherwise I was too eager to read the actual story.

I also didn't read the text stories in the annuals because there were like, too many words, man! And the accompanying art was too Ladybird. How could you sit there reading that stuff when Magnus and Galvatron were bitchslapping each other on the next page?

Knightdramon
2014-04-01, 05:59 PM
I must be the only person not flipping out with Megatron being an Autobot?

Especially when, considering MTMTE story so far, the insignia/allegiance does not play any role at all in regards to the story. Pharma and Tyrest were/are amongst the most highly decorated Autobots. Sentinel and Zeta were the leaders of the Autobots.

Considering that, again, for MTMTE, the villainy of a character depends on their thoughts and actions and not their badge, they could have easily made Megatron join the crew but with a Decepticon badge or no badge at all, like Cyclonus.

Again, thinking back to how through flashbacks and stories they tried to make Megatron look like a misguided antihero instead of an outright villain, we *should* have seen his switch coming.

And lastly...for the past nearly 20 years there have been either outright evil Optimus Primes with a decepticon symbol, shattered glass autobots and black/evil repaints...shattered glass aside, this is the first "hero" reveal of Megatron ever.

Auntie Slag
2014-04-01, 06:16 PM
Again, thinking back to how through flashbacks and stories they tried to make Megatron look like a misguided antihero instead of an outright villain, we *should* have seen his switch coming.

Really? His statement to Prime in Chaos Theory where he said "Prime, I can assure you I will not rest until I have turned every one of you into pate. For reals, yo".

He totally believed and savoured every word. He a bad mutha.

inflatable dalek
2014-04-01, 06:25 PM
I think part of the problem is that- in fiction- Megatron's side switch happens the same week he thought Prowlestator was a good idea. That's a really rapid learning curve there.

Knightdramon
2014-04-01, 08:04 PM
Really? His statement to Prime in Chaos Theory where he said "Prime, I can assure you I will not rest until I have turned every one of you into pate. For reals, yo".

He totally believed and savoured every word. He a bad mutha.

Yeah, and in the same issue, in his flashbacks, he was a poor an naive idealist who was nearly beaten to death and like Rung, got his name spelled out wrong every time.

In Soundwave's origin story in RID 21 and 22 he was portrayed as the one guy that wanted equal rights for everybody and was treated so bad it's natural to be mistrustful towards even his followers.

In Autocracy he was portrayed as a rebel with some dark tendencies who's far too brutal for his own good.

In Monstrosity, which I'm personally trying to erase from memory, he's a victim of an internal power struggle, has to survive on his own in order to return to Cybertron, take charge of his troops again and SAVE THE ENTIRE PLANET :lol: like a hero.

In Chaos he saved the planet on his own, more or less.

So yeah, while rare and inbetween, he does has moments of a true hero and a "good" person.

Auntie Slag
2014-04-01, 09:02 PM
Good ol' Megs. He hits you because he loves you.

Actually I really like the depictions of Megatron and Shockwave in MTMTE. Their goals and origins and that are different. Back in the marvel days they were great too. Shockwave was far and away the better character but ultimately they both just wanted to crush ortobots for the glorious benefit of Decepticon empire.

Now its the guy from Brassed Off who writes and presents his own poetry in Camden and the other gets shafted in office worse than Jerry Maguire.

Red Dave Prime
2014-04-01, 09:29 PM
I think part of the problem is that- in fiction- Megatron's side switch happens the same week he thought Prowlestator was a good idea. That's a really rapid learning curve there.

This. Very true. In fact, Megs arc would have made sense if he had NOT been involved at all with the bombshell/ prowlestator (is that a thing now?). In Chaos Theory, He has his debate with Prime and while he doesnt back down, maybe it opens his mind a little. In Chaos he somewhat becomes Cybertrons hero and sacrifices himself for the good of all (and his ego to be fair). Then if we simply had his time in the wilderness allow him to really question his ideals then the transition in Dark Cybertron would work. But it doesnt because in the RID he is very much back to Mu-wa-ha-ha evil villain mode. He is a full on bad guy, completely with over elaborate plan and urge to explain said plan before it is complete (and also orders to kill the good guys and then epic fails that)

Its a pity because they probably had the general idea of an Autobot megs for a while. I just dont think the journey was done well enough/

Unicron
2014-04-01, 09:38 PM
I think it's worse than the same week, didn't Dark Cybertron happen all of a day or two after the Prowlestator mess? Had they handled that whole plan as Megatron just sort of going through the motions because it's what his troops expect, it would have made the transition to Autobot easier to believe.

Knightdramon
2014-04-01, 09:38 PM
Not in the same week---from my calculations, the very next day, or one day and a half later.

Issue 16 happens, [RID]Megatron is imprisoned, Starscream kicks the Autobots out of the city on the sunrise of the new day [attack happened at night].

Next sunrise, which came early, was the beginning of Dark Cybertron, and unless I'm mistaken, that was it, no other sunrise. Bumblebee is driving with the torn apart Megatron at night halfway through Dark Cybertron.

I've been re-reading MTMTE S1...going at issue 2 tonight.

A sad realization...Bumblebee and Rodimus last spoke to each other in Death of Optimus Prime, on the balcony when Orion left. They were never in the same place at all on issue 1, and Rodimus did not take Bumblebee's call.

Seeing as Rodimus is trapped in the DU until the end of Dark Cybertron, only spoke to Starscream on "the phone", and helped carry the wounded instead of fighting Shockwave at the end...

Poor guy never saw or spoke to Bumblebee again. Neither did Pax.

Terome
2014-04-02, 12:49 PM
If I'm feeling charitable I'd put most of the Prowlestator whatnot at Bombshell's feet. Even so, it does mess with Megatron's arc quite a lot.

Red Dave Prime
2014-04-02, 02:42 PM
Would have worked much better as a bombshell plot. Would have felt fresher too.

Warcry
2014-04-02, 03:07 PM
That would have been fun! When was the last time one of the second-string Decepticons even got a chance to be the villain of an arc? The Combaticons and particularly Swindle had a nice go of it in Costa's run, but other than that IDW and Dreamwave before them have mostly stuck with already-entrenched bad guys (Megatron, Galvatron, Shockwave, Scorponok, Thunderwing, Bludgeon, Ratbat, Jhiaxus) when they weren't consciously introducing someone as a "bigger bad" like Nova Prime, Overlord or the Fallen.

It'd be awesome to see a random Insecticon or Terrorcon or someone step up to be the main antagonist for an arc or two. :)

Red Dave Prime
2014-04-02, 04:17 PM
Definitely. Also would be good to see a threat that isnt all about being more powerful. We "kinda" got that with Tyrest but he still had a huge army of robots and gadgets backing him up. Would be nice to see more cerebral enemies.

Rack 'n Ruin
2014-04-02, 05:20 PM
Definitely. Also would be good to see a threat that isnt all about being more powerful. We "kinda" got that with Tyrest but he still had a huge army of robots and gadgets backing him up. Would be nice to see more cerebral enemies.

The trouble is cerebral enemies require cerebral writing. Roberts can handle it, but can any other TF writer? I'm not sure. Hence the same old tropes being trotted out time after time.

I'd certainly be up for more variety in bad guys and bad guys' plots. The Scavengers may deliver on that front with any luck.

Vagabond Elf
2014-04-02, 06:49 PM
The origins of the Season vs. Series terminology has to do with how TV shows were funded in the US vs. the UK.

In the US, someone decides to make a TV show. They form a company, hire people, write episodes, film a pilot, convince someone to buy the show based on the pilot and the script, make a dozen episodes, and it goes on air. If it does well, they get paid to make another 10 episodes to finish out the season. If it still does well, they get hired to make a second season, and so on. All this time, the show is being produced by a single company, with direct continuity of people's involvement, and further episodes are essentially an extension of the existing contract.

In the UK, when the show is produced, the contract specifies exactly how many episodes there will be. When it's done, it's done. If the show did well, the network may buy more episodes - but that will be a new contract, often with a new production company, again for a set number of episodes. There are a few exceptions that occur in a more US style, but for the most part, when you see a "Second Series" in the UK - what would be "Season Two" in the US - it is functionally an entirely new show, even if it happens to involve the same actors, writers, directors and characters. Thus, it is referred to as a new Series, rather than as a follow-on Season of the existing series.

Auntie Slag
2014-04-22, 08:11 PM
So it's tomorrow, right?

Bigger than Wills and Kate.

Larger than Dalek's ass on your face via Skyquake's enormo-plas screen.

Tenderer than a well done James Blunt.

Beefier than six bags of beef Monster Munch in succession.

Bring it on James, you sexy bitch!

inflatable dalek
2014-04-22, 08:13 PM
Larger than Dalek's ass on your face via Skyquake's enormo-plas screen.

What I like about this is, we know James Roberts looks at the feedback threads, but I suspect probably doesn't visit the rest of the site, meaning that, out of context, this is going to look really strange and perverted to him and make him wonder what sort of depraved people are reading his comics.

Of course, in context, it's as sweet and innocent as a nun playing with a kitten and anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

Auntie Slag
2014-04-22, 08:27 PM
We are all perverted, its normal. It’s the cloak of social norms that's abnormal.

Unicron
2014-04-22, 08:30 PM
So it's tomorrow, right?
I thought I read somewhere that RID was tomorrow and MTMTE was next week. I could be wrong

Auntie Slag
2014-04-22, 08:33 PM
I didn't do two tours in 'Nam just so we could wait another week.

Terome
2014-04-22, 08:56 PM
What I like about this is, we know James Roberts looks at the feedback threads, but I suspect probably doesn't visit the rest of the site, meaning that, out of context, this is going to look really strange and perverted to him and make him wonder what sort of depraved people are reading his comics.

I am here all the time and that is what it looked like to me.

Denyer
2014-04-28, 07:03 PM
this is going to look really strange and perverted to him and make him wonder what sort of depraved people are reading his comics.
I'm sure he's been on Tumblr before now.

inflatable dalek
2014-04-28, 08:07 PM
James Roberts podcast interview that will be filling my ears at work tonight here:

http://theunderbase.libsyn.com/the-underbase-interview-of-season-two

Skyquake87
2014-04-28, 09:08 PM
oh Podcasts...if only I had the HOURS these fill to listen to them!!!

Hopefully, you'll do a summary at some point, if its not too cheeky to ask Mr Dalek?

Denyer
2014-04-28, 10:05 PM
Hate audio for conveying information normally, but there are some creators it's worth listening to -- ta for pointer, hope to have it on in the background later in the week.

Terome
2014-04-29, 10:52 AM
Full preview at Seibertron (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/idw-transformers-more-than-meets-the-eye-28-full-preview/30044/)

Quite impressed by how determined Prime is to stitch up Megatron here.

inflatable dalek
2014-04-29, 04:54 PM
oh Podcasts...if only I had the HOURS these fill to listen to them!!!

Hopefully, you'll do a summary at some point, if its not too cheeky to ask Mr Dalek?

Oh well, if you insist (but I am only scratching the surface here):

Nothing in Dark Cybertron was part of the original plan for the two series, but it was decided upon by Hasbro early enough for them to start working towards it with enough notice (it happening to come after as far forward as they'd planned in detail helped as well).

Brainstorm being mostly dead was indeed deliberately set up in advance by the Spark Eater ignoring him, but was seeding for something intended for season 2, when Dark Cybertron came along Roberts realised it tied in neatly with the whole Dead Universe idea.

Making it a Dead Universe story wasn't something decided upon in the initial meeting with Hasbro, and the ultimate decision was at least partially inspired by Nightbeat being on the list of toys they were given that would have to be included in the series- knowing they'd have to bring him back and considering where he last was meant the Dead Universe would have to be at least briefly visited (Roberts of course had no problem at all with that particular toy tie in, and Nightbeat is indeed on the Lost Light now).

Both Roberts and Barber were very aware of the general fan perception of the Dead Universe and did think hard about whether it was a good idea, but decided there was enough mileage left in it for one last hurrah.

Whatever other authors may do in the future, as far as Barber and Roberts are concerned, Bumblebee is Dead Dead.

They at least briefly considered making it a full on 30th anniversary celebration by making the threat to all Transformers Universes, with our heroes meeting and interacting with the casts of other shows (that would have actually made the Beast/Armada toy promotion more organic IMHO). Oddly the fact Regeneration One was planning to end in pretty much the same way doesn't seem to have been a factor in the idea being dropped. Indeed, though he describes it as "Furmanesque", Roberts seems to have actually forgotten that IDW only just published a comic with the same basic idea as he lays into it a bit when discussing why he's glad they didn't go down that "Indulgent" route.

[One interesting similar moment is him describing the Dille stuff as being in a "Bubble continuity", which feels like two words that perfectly sums up his feeling on how the Acy stuff's portrayal of Pax has conflicted with his own stuff]

His biggest concern with Dark Cybertron was having to bring everyone back home, he considers the whole point of a quest is forward momentum and that this would kill that off. He's very relieved fans don't seem to have taken it that way (mind, personally, I've never felt there was that much burning forward momentum on the quest side of things). Issue 28 originally had a lot more "And now we're back to where we left off!" stuff in the script before he decided it was mostly pointless.

Tailgate was going to die right up until Roberts started writing the issue. There would have been some sort of twist about his character revealed in death that may or may not play a part in the future.

As said, that's all scratching the surface, it is well worth a listen for those of you unlike Skyquake who don't lead such busy go getter lives. The Underbase crew are on fine form with their questioning and Roberts is thoughtful and interesting throughout.

Brendocon 2.0
2014-04-29, 08:43 PM
I thought I read somewhere that RID was tomorrow and MTMTE was next week. I could be wrong

IDW's own website helpfully doesn't have a straightforward release calendar like proper comics companies do*, but Forbidden Planet have MTMTE down on this week's releases:

https://forbiddenplanet.com/?sort=a-z&tag=comics-wednesday-30042014&page=7&size=20

* in the interest of fairness, they do have an "out this week" news story, but still...

Death's Head
2014-04-30, 05:07 PM
And...relax.

That was very, very good. So many plots! Every one of them more tantalising than the prospect of whatever it is Shockwave's been up to for the past few months. Sadly, it's back to the month-long wait until the next fix...

zigzagger
2014-04-30, 05:40 PM
Some quick-ish notes:

Overall; interest is very much piqued and it's good to be back after (sigh) Dark Cybertron, but damn... that's a whole lot of set up. A lot happened -- annnnd, a lot didn't happen.

While I eat this sort of thing up (seriously, I love it), I can definitely see how this issue might put off some folks. The bulk of the issue mostly consists of... well, set up. Character introductions (and reintroductions), establishing the new status quo -- though how that comes to be has yet to be fully revealed, which I'll admit was a minor quibble I had.

Most of the focus was squarely on Megatron -- which I am soooo all for, even if we've only just scratched the surface -- but there wasn't much in the way of breathing space for anything else, was there? A few members of the... err, previous "season's" cast remain unaccounted for (e.g. Cyclonus, Tailgate), as well. I suspect we haven't seen much of present-time Rodimus due to some upcoming dramatic reveal.

Can't hate it for that, though. I'm just horribly impatient. I want to know now! :(

On the positive end, while it's probably too soon to say this, I think Megatron is in good hands. At. F***ing. Last.

Once again, there's a whole lotta references to Chaos Theory tossed in. More so than usual for an issue of MTMTE ;) We always come back to that one, don't we? Rung, Whril, Rodion, Megatron's manifesto, the trial... it's almost as if Chaos Theory was building up to this very moment.

Wasn't expecting a Whirl/Megatron confrontation to happen so soon, but pleased it finally happened all the same. It didn't disappoint, plus it served to action-up the issue a smidgen. Did feel a teensy bit contrived, considering the nature of the premise (I mean, there's not too many likely scenarios this could happen), but I'm not too fussed. Can't deny it did cross my mind, though.

A few nifty revelations here. Aside from Megatron's opinion of him, Whirl's world must be totally shattered. Proof that there's still life and storytelling potential left in the character. Looking forward to seeing how things develop.

Other stuff:

Oh! Oh! Coffin! Almost everything from the first issue's message from the future has (or is about to) come to pass. Think there's only one warning left to go, right?

Groove! Sweet! I love me some Protectobots. This makes me very happy.

Swerve couldn't resist the Bluestreak looks like Prowl gag, huh? I had this nagging suspicion the joke would make an appearance once it was revealed he'd be on board the Lost Light. And Prowl isn't exactly popular with certain members of the crew (forget everyone else). At any rate, Bluestreak deserves a little time in the spotlight and I'm all for it. Bring it on.

More ramblings and misguessings to come, I'm sure.

---

**Looks back at post**

Hmm. Okay. Nothing "quick-ish" about this post at all :o

And...relax.

That was very, very good. So many plots! Every one of them more tantalising than the prospect of whatever it is Shockwave's been up to for the past few months. Sadly, it's back to the month-long wait until the next fix...

Was that deliberate on IDW's part? It really did feel like they drew out the release for this one. My impression was that folks were clamoring for MTMTE's "return" the most.

Or maybe I feel that way because I couldn't care less about the other two books (haven't bothered to check on the general consensus on Windblade yet -- is it any good?).

Death's Head
2014-04-30, 07:17 PM
I've not read Windblade but it's had a good reception from what I can gather. I'm all MTMTE, these days, which is what makes the month-long wait so interminable!

inflatable dalek
2014-04-30, 07:40 PM
Windblade had a solid first issue, and RID was pretty fun but had a cliffhanger that could turn the whole thing as enjoyable as having your balls licked by Max Clifford depending on how the resolution is handled.

Very much enjoyed this issue, but it's hard to find a huge amount to say that isn't just flat out speculation because, as Ziggy says, it is all set up.

Loved Prime's no-nonsense attitude to the trial (though based on RID it does seem Galvatron used his six months more productively- did no one bother to wonder what the remaining Decepticons were up to?), the crew auditions, Megatron remembering Rung but Rung not remembering the day he met Megatron; the Megatron/Whirl fight and the fact Whirl was working with a group of others to a plan rather than it being random aggression...

Yeah, there was a lot to like here and very little to be annoyed by. At a pinch, maybe the deja vu bit, pointing out in a post modern fashion the "What do we do with Megatron as a prisoner?" thing is something Roberts has already done doesn't stop it being a plot he's already done. But that's real nit picking stuff.

I guessing the story of Terminus (a nod at Blake's 7?) will form the third part of the Chaos Shadow trilogy.

Death's Head
2014-04-30, 08:35 PM
as enjoyable as having your balls licked by Max Clifford

:D

Now there's an image! And I was about to have me tea...

Knightdramon
2014-04-30, 08:49 PM
Interesting, very interesting.

Greatest moment was for me, Chromedome sulking around in the dark room listening to the message from Rewind over and over again.

There's also other mysteries and plot twists that I'm sure Roberts didn't really like getting into; he basically has like 3 issues to go from Megatron: nearly executed to Megatron: Captain of a crew of autobots.

The coffin is very, very forced. It's like the one thing from S1's throaway caution lines that wasn't done, and he puts it right in front of our faces here. :lol:

Did not understand Swerve's "prank" at all, not when he acted so serious against the accusation.

Laughed at how it was clearly an interview and how it mirrored my last interview as well; "main" person is one you know really well, second person is somebody you generally know a bit, last person is somebody you never met until that day [that's exactly how it happened with me :lol: ]

Dissapearing things [and bots] on the Lost Light so far. Whirl working with someone [chances are its Prowl].

Generally there are some parallels with issue 1. Whirl getting into an unprovoked fight with somebody. An audition/interview of some sorts [Red Alert in issue 1, Swerve now]. Somebody scheming with somebody else off panel [Prowl in issue 1, Whirl here]. And others I probably can't recall/piece together right now. :up:

Also, anybody else catch the fact that Rung mentions a very dear female friend of his bringing him Megatron's book, then a few pages later, Nautica mentions how much she LOVES books, but on the first two pages, she doesn't even know Rung's name? Weird coincidence? Hints?

Terome
2014-04-30, 11:30 PM
Ravage!

More thoughts tomorrow. But this was good in the way a long, hot bath is good.

Death's Head
2014-05-01, 01:08 AM
I forgot, that bit where Megatron freaks the cluck out at Chromedome...that was amazing. To see Megs so terrified! Chromedome was a bit frightening this issue, wasn't he? Sitting alone in his hab suite, doing who-knows-what with that special hand...

Warcry
2014-05-01, 02:34 AM
Megatron being terrified of Chromedome was awesome, I agree. A nice touch. I can't recall the last time I ever saw Megatron afraid of anything.

Ravage sneaking around looks like it'll lead to some entertaining scenes, too.

The brief introductions to the new Autobots were cool too, though Swerve was even more of an unlikable dick in those scenes than usual.

Not much actually happened here, but that's okay. Lots of setup, but it looks like what it's setting up is going to be a lot of fun so I'm happy to wait. And the fact that it took around half an hour for me to read to read the issue means that, setup or not, this issue had lots of meat to it.

My one nitpick? The meeting between Whirl and Megatron felt sadly anticlimactic, at least to me.

Auntie Slag
2014-05-01, 03:01 PM
I loved the Whirl/Megatron scenes, especially the opening line "What made you think it was me"?

So much wordiness to this issue, and that usually means it'll be an issue that's leafed through more and more over the coming months as the clues and reveals all relate back to it.

The art once again is excellent and feels very homely now. I like Rung taking off his glasses for a moment, the revisionism and perhaps a nod towards George Lucas (if you want to take it that way), and Burcham's colouring and shading was particularly effective as Megatron leans forward with intensity follwing Rung's "Who is Terminus" comment. He looks very solid and powerful.

No explanation for the power surge yet, which is very intriguing, and Megatron's fear of Chromedome was very well done, but what does this say about his relationship with Soundwave, who may not be a mnemosurgeon, but he can still read thoughts.

When Skids and Nightbeat are chatting on their way to see Chromedome the writing on the wall behind them says 'Fuel Furnace'.

As they head back the way they came the writing on the wall has had letters removed so it says: 'FU LF R ACE', is that linked to the missing number on Chromedome's door? And why isn't Nightbeat paying attention to it?

Does Megatron also feel sorry for Whirl being an Empurata victim?

Nice to see Sandstorm at the trial decked out in his new Generations toy mold, guess that removes him from the DJD line-up. Also that Broadside is back on-line. I thought he got crushed or killed by Prowlestator?

[Edit] And Prime's 'Chief Justice' tiara was cool.

Auntie Slag
2014-05-01, 03:44 PM
Oh yeah, the Megatron/Whirl fight was also very effective because lots of people love Whirl (myself definitely included), whether because of his nuttiness, his sick humour or sympathy for his past. My first thought was he was going to get annihilated, so there was a bit of concern there.

And yet in this fight I was on Megatron's side... and it again showed Megatron's excellent manipulation of things (one short statement 4 million years ago has determined Whirls lifespan, and ego).

That's some pretty excellent writing, eh?

inflatable dalek
2014-05-01, 05:21 PM
I'm interested to see what has caused such a drastic degeneration in Chromedome's mental condition, the most telling thing is him being prepared to finger Megatron in the flashback when it can't occur that long after he point blank refused to do it to Metroplex in Dark Cybertron because he promised Rewind. What happened in so short a time to change his mind and put him on the dark path?

Considering how close their relationship was shown to be in that issue of RID presumably Ravage is still working for Soundwave, so I wouldn't put the missing Pyrobots being down to him beyond the realms of possibility. Small acts of sabotage and disappearances to soften up the ship for the DJD perhaps?

You know, one thing I was thinking yesterday. Both Windblade and RID (beyond my Schrödinger's cat issue with the cliffhanger to the later- I won't be sure if it works or not till issue 29 comes out) were very enjoyable reads for me. But this issue of MTMTE- despite being fairly average by the standards of its own series- is really, really in a completely different league. It's almost a shame for the other authors- pre-2009 both those issues would have pissed over most of the competition. But what James Roberts is doing has raised the whole game to an entirely new level.

I'm a fairly firm believer that a fairly quick turn over in writers on franchises they didn't create is generally a good thing. There are exceptions of course, but a lot of the time anyone who works for more than five or six years straight on a franchise tend to have used up all their good ideas and start running on vapours.

I mean, there's no more cautionary tale for writers than Branon Braga. When watching season 5 of The Next Generation I was reminded how well regarded he was by fans at the time for knocking out so many fantastic ground breaking high concept episodes like Cause and Effect (which did Groundhog Day before Groundhog Day). Ten years later and the end of Enterprise and he's a joke best remembered for Borg Tits and technobabble. If he'd left around the time of First Contact he'd have most of his reputation intact.

But, like a demented David Tennant, right now I don't want James Roberts to go. And I have the terrible feeling he's unlikely to last a full five years anyway despite his fanishness- He's likely got other writing ambitions (amongst other things, I'd like to see what he could do with a Big Finish Doctor Who audio, they've used at least one other IDW writer so it's not impossible) and is more than smart enough to have spotted that Transformers often winds up a ghetto that creators struggle to escape from and will be keen for it not to be his entire writing career, however proud he is of the work. The equally smart Nick Roche is currently pushing his non-TF work hard for similar reasons.

Plus, with all the praise and accolades the series is getting, it's likely doors to whatever other dream jobs he wants to do will open more smoothly at the moment. I think one way we call all help prevent this is to stop going on about how great the comic is and treat it like a big secret so no one else ever offers him any work. I think the destruction of his career ambitions are a small price to pay for the continuation of this excellent comic and can't see why any sane man would object to that.

Also... having thought more about the Terminus thing, the more I think it's a deliberate Blake's 7 nod. After all, that episode came at the end of the season where the ship with the ill-fitted group of misfits on it had its original, idealistic but with an increasing dark streak, commander replaced by a darker, more cynical and possibly psychotic character who tried to follow on with the original crusade with disastrous results in the end.

[The fact that same year has them finding what is basically a coffin in space in Sarcophagus is probably a bit of a reach though].

Also... Rodimus is at least tangentally involved in a sneaky plot behind the scenes? Has he learnt nothing from the Overlord thing?

Also... that coffin sure looks like one of the ones they fired off into space after the Overlord affair. Has it been picked up and used as a protective shield by someone- either with luscious lips or a camera for an eye- that might have been floating about nearby?

Death's Head
2014-05-01, 05:37 PM
Regarding Chromedome, there's also that spooky bit where he's about to (I can't believe I'm going to write this) 'finger' himself when the Rewind-recording suddenly ends on an "ARGH!"

What's going on there? :o

As they head back the way they came the writing on the wall has had letters removed so it says: 'FU LF R ACE', is that linked to the missing number on Chromedome's door? And why isn't Nightbeat paying attention to it?

Remember what Rung says a few pages earlier - to get the measure of a writer don't look at what he leaves on the page. Look at what he takes away.

Which makes "8EUN". I've got no idea!

Auntie Slag
2014-05-01, 05:52 PM
I think Chromedome’s darkness is due to actually having to deal with death. He didn’t erase the memories of Rewind like he did with his other Conjunx Endura’s, so he’s properly wallowing in it.

The last time we saw him in a dodgy way was telling Tailgate the story of how he and Rewind first met, in a Relinquishment clinic where Chromedome had gone to die.

So I guess he’s a bit of a Cure fan. Actually I don’t know why The Cure get so many knocks for that, they’ve got a lot of optimistic songs too. Maybe he doesn’t care for those ones? I like Pictures of You and Friday I’m in Love equally.

Also it was clear that Rewind looked after him and kept him from being a morose git, helping him with his nightmares and so on.

As much a shame it would be if/when Roberts moves on, I really don’t mind because he’s done the best Transformers series ever. I’m sure he’s got more than enough nous to keep his stories and characters fresh, and would take a breather rather than produce something his heart wasn’t in.

Anyway, he sounds like a happy bunny at the moment, particularly with the one-page text summation thing at the end of the issue. Maybe it says more about us Brits and a (grossly over-generalised) pessimistic viewpoint; "Ooh he's too good for us, he's gonna get wind and march off to Hollywood, you see if he doesn't"!

So stiff upper lip and all that. Any sign of deserting the cause and he gets shot in the head, proper WWI.

inflatable dalek
2014-05-01, 06:43 PM
Cliffy has just pointed out to me on Facebook that I've got my Termi stories mixed up. Terminal was the Blake's 7 episode, Terminus was the Doctor Who where Nyssa takes her skirt off for no reason other than to give the boys in the audience a good look at her knickers.

Bugger.

Auntie Slag
2014-05-01, 06:49 PM
I didn't understand any of that other than Cliffy, skirt and bugger.

inflatable dalek
2014-05-01, 06:50 PM
I didn't understand any of that other than Cliffy, skirt and bugger.

Now there's a slash fic for you.

Terome
2014-05-01, 08:12 PM
Okay, have got my thoughts organised. Let's do this page-by-page.

Page 1: Nautica's first introduction. The CC gun conversation is cute with a tremendous punchline. I get the sense here that we're going to see a lot more of Brainstorm. Perceptor and Ratchet are nowhere to be seen.

Page 2: Brainstorm doesn't consider himself an 'intellectual sort?' The guy who is always trying to out-Perceptor Perceptor and lie (maybe) about being forged? That's interesting, isn't it?
If we don't get an issue that is entirely a copy of The Lost Light Insider then we got robbed.

Page 3: Can't make out who is Red Dwarfing the Lost Light here. Why does Ratchet look so upset to hear about going to Cyberutopia? I like how Starscream is actually the most composed person in the room for this very tense sequence.

Page 4: Prime is not happy with Prowl, is he? This lines up nicely with Robots In Disguise. The line about Megatron's internal organs is all sorts of fascinating. Makes sense considering all the injuries he's had, but clashes with the portals and dead ends that Whirl discovers later. HMMM!
Phobos and Desecrus, huh? Stories for another day.

Page 5: I said it before but wow, that is not a fair set up. This is a show trial and Prime knows it.
Thunderclash gets a 90s style logo, which is appropriate. Rodimus' false concern for him isn't fooling Prime but I do wonder what this talk of expediency means...

Page 6: The fusion cannon joke is a bit too goofy but somehow had to make it eventually.
Ravage! Yay! Robert's mention of how emotional that 'King of Shadows' text story made him was a good sign.
So is Megatron saying that Rung is one of his most 'signficant encounters?'

Page 7: Megatron's mention of making a decision in the confined space of an alt mode... is that telling us that he changed his mind on something after Hell's Point? It's a nice reference to the link forged between Costa's stories and the Megatron Spotlight too.
Am I being dim but is the moment with Rung's glasses supposed to be an example of revisionism? Those were just his eyes until right then. Is that the point being made? I'm quite impressed with the theme running through Terminus' redacted dedication, the missing Pyrobots / letters, Rewind's message and what might be the metatextual acknowledgement that Megatron has to be a good guy now. It has a good mouthfeel.

Page 8: The significance of the X-ray blackout is lost on me. And what does Megatron mean about refuelling? Attachments seem to be another theme being fired up for this story.

Page 9: Really thought Riptide would turn out to be an ex-Decepticon. Aquabat is exactly the kind of Transformer a nine year old would come up with but then would have looked right at home alongside guys like Apeface and Snapdragon. He is my new favourite. The Bluestreak-looks-like-Prowl joke is a lot like the fusion cannon overcompensation joke - had to be made sooner or later.

Page 10: Nautica gets another introduction. Tailgate gets none! I don't mind really - the next issue looks to be very Tailgate-heavy. Nautica is very likeable too and is every inch a Roberts original. Unpacking her interests will be fun. I like that Crosscut is Swerve's friend now, that's nice.

Page 11: High-and-mighty-back-from-the-dead-thinks-he's-all-that-maverick-investigator makes me chuckle. Also the idea that Nightbeat just bursts into rooms, correcting people.

Page 12: It's true, Megatron being frightened of Chromedome is fantastic. The Autobots got up to some horrible things before and during the war and Chromedome was among the worst of them. Prime trying to rationalise that is quite sad, in a way.

Page 13: "And I don't think that would look very GOOD, do you?" - yikes.
What is the favour, what is on the communicube, what becomes of Rodimus? Gah! I am guessing that Megatron knows something about the Knights that the Autobots don't.

Page 14: The missing letters are neat and mysterious and all but poor Chromedome! People don't just get over things in one smooth gradient.

Page 15: So the big question is, 'why is only Whirl out to kill Megs?' I'm sure we'll get to that. Megatron trying to start a conversation after suffering the first hit is huge, by the way.

Page 16: I know he's not fighting back and he's got shot internals and so on but Whirl really does a number on Megatron in this fight, doesn't he? There are deliberate parallels with his fight with Cyclonus and one of them is that he could feasibly do just as well in a straight fight. I wonder how much trouble he gave Overlord before he used him as a club.

Page 17: If 'autobiography' was making it sound small then 'diary' must be positively emasculating. The revelation about Whirl's longevity is indeed very interesting and grafts on a new dimension to him. I was all for him being sidelined for lack of material but I am happy to be wrong on these things.

Page 18: Hmm. This is all sorts of set-up. It's a great way of taking Megatron's overpowered space bridge power and turning it into something a lot more intriguing. Is this what will kill the old man?

Page 19: I suppose Whirl will get a replacement claw along with a new arm. The Rewind thing is fascinating. Someone on another board mentioned Memento - maybe Chromedome has edited the footage himself and then erased his memory of doing so to give himself hope, the same way he very well might have done with Rewind and Dominus Ambus.

Page 20-21: That is how you use a double splash page! Broadside does fill out a page nicely but it would have been nice for Devastator's rampage to have had some impact. Doesn't really matter. I'm taking the implication here that Sandstorm is as much of a big gun as Ultra Magnus and Broadside and this is cool.
Prowl's long list of accusations is quite upsetting, really. We are not being asked to root for Megatron in any way, shape or form. He truly is a monster. GUILTY!

Page 22: Oh no wait there's Perceptor. Looks like Nautica gets to be on the bridge with the A-list. The important question is: Where is Mainframe?!

Those are all my thoughts. They are okay thoughts.

Denyer
2014-05-01, 09:04 PM
This is a show trial and Prime knows it.
Makes it all the more interesting how he's going to end up leading the LL.

Can't form coherent sentences, but this was awesome from beginning to end. Concept + execution + continuity + great production values.

Auntie Slag
2014-05-01, 09:19 PM
Mainframe is just in shot too, he's at the very bottom left of the panel where Nautica says "Captain on bridge".

Its interesting how little was said about Ratchet's thoughts on Megatron's internals. All this dead space and micromachination that Shockwave's been up to with him should have fascinated the arse of Ratchet, Perceptor too probably, and Brainstorm... but they all just let him go about his business on The Lost Light?

Do all the 'shot-to-hell' internals signal the beginning of Megatron's link to tapping the power of a black hole as per his tech-spec and only referenced in issues 21 and 104 of Marvel UK? (Oo-er, nerd alert!).

I guess Rung counts as one of Megatron's significant encounters not because of Rung, but because of the events it kicked off. Although Rung being so neat about things, how did he manage to spill a drink on someone in the first place?

I must say though I do absolutely LOVE the cover of the next issue; Megatron and Tailgate striking the same pose. I wonder if Tailgate just has a natural ability to make weird friends, not to mention looking like the cutest Transformer ever whilst doing it.

Terome
2014-05-01, 10:37 PM
Mainframe is just in shot too, he's at the very bottom left of the panel where Nautica says "Captain on bridge".

P.H.E.W.!

ts interesting how little was said about Ratchet's thoughts on Megatron's internals. All this dead space and micromachination that Shockwave's been up to with him should have fascinated the arse of Ratchet, Perceptor too probably, and Brainstorm... but they all just let him go about his business on The Lost Light?

Do all the 'shot-to-hell' internals signal the beginning of Megatron's link to tapping the power of a black hole as per his tech-spec and only referenced in issues 21 and 104 of Marvel UK? (Oo-er, nerd alert!).

Aha, but didn't Shockwave come right out and say he had black hole powers in Roche's Spotlight? Seems like a painless enough retcon though.

I imagine something else happens in between his trial and his captaincy to set off all his internal portals. Maybe just rot? Shockwave would not have intended him to live this long.

I must say though I do absolutely LOVE the cover of the next issue; Megatron and Tailgate striking the same pose. I wonder if Tailgate just has a natural ability to make weird friends, not to mention looking like the cutest Transformer ever whilst doing it.

Really looking forward to having Tailgate back. I missed the little lady!

Red Dave Prime
2014-05-02, 12:35 AM
I find it curious that most people never remember Rung or his name and yet here it is he that forgets the first encounter where as Megatron remember it with clarity.

I think IDW have got all three series off to strong starts. Not everything clicks with me but Windblade is intriguing, RID is a massive improvement (even if the ending was a bit gick) and MTMTE looks to be back on form too. Good times.

Auntie Slag
2014-05-02, 09:21 AM
Rung must have said that for a reason, to tease some extra information out perhaps.

Even reading over little bits of it this morning again, a totally classic issue.

inflatable dalek
2014-05-02, 03:12 PM
Ohhhh, in terms of who Whirl was talking too...

Who is it that gave up everything so Rodimus could stay captain of the Lost Light and would likely be more than a bit miffed that he's been replaced already?

Who is an ex-Decepticon who had a hard time finding acceptance amongst the Autobots and would likely be more than a bit miffed that Megatron has not only managed to get an Autobrand but has been put in charge of his own former friends within six months when it took him millions of years to work up to being trusted as second in command?

Who is going to be a bit miffed and less happy chappy (assuming that at least some of that wasn't an act anyway) generally than the last time we saw them after being exiled?

Who spent most of season 1 on working on a sneaky plot with Rodimus?

I tell you, it's Drift. He's nearby and waiting for the right moment.

One thing I did really like about the issue I don't think has been mentioned yet: The fact Megatron knew Whirl was trying to play him and refusing to go along with it. It makes you wonder how much of what he said was true and how much was a psychological "**** you", and how they'd have fared if he'd been prepared to really fight back properly.

zigzagger
2014-05-02, 06:43 PM
Prowl's long list of accusations is quite upsetting, really. We are not being asked to root for Megatron in any way,

shape or form. He truly is a monster. GUILTY!

I was worried how this was going to be addressed when images of Megatron brandishing an Autobot insignia first started popping up on the web....

Annnnd I still think it requires a HUGE suspension of disbelief. Even now I'm struggling to go along with the whole concept, as potentially fun as it is. I can image Roberts had a difficult time trying not to downplay Meg's list of crimes (the guy's "Space Hitler" as some have already dubbed him), but I think he's doing a respectable job and hasn't skimped over this too much.

The brief introductions to the new Autobots were cool too, though Swerve was even more of an unlikable dick in those scenes than usual.

Also going along with Dramon, I just didn't see the point of Swerve's so-called 'prank' (aside from maybe paralleling to Red Alert screening folks in issue #1). Just came across as kind of mean-spirited and, again, pointless.

Sadly, Swerve continues to lose points with me.

Also... that coffin sure looks like one of the ones they fired off into space after the Overlord affair. Has it been picked up and used as a protective shield by someone- either with luscious lips or a camera for an eye- that might have been floating about nearby?

Naturally, I fully expect to be proven wrong, but maybe Thunderclash is inside the coffin. It's kind of set up here.

Death's Head
2014-05-02, 07:24 PM
Who is it that gave up everything so Rodimus could stay captain of the Lost Light and would likely be more than a bit miffed that he's been replaced already?

Who is an ex-Decepticon who had a hard time finding acceptance amongst the Autobots and would likely be more than a bit miffed that Megatron has not only managed to get an Autobrand but has been put in charge of his own former friends within six months when it took him millions of years to work up to being trusted as second in command?

Who is going to be a bit miffed and less happy chappy (assuming that at least some of that wasn't an act anyway) generally than the last time we saw them after being exiled?

Who spent most of season 1 on working on a sneaky plot with Rodimus?

I tell you, it's Drift. He's nearby and waiting for the right moment.

Who's in the coffin...?

Terome
2014-05-03, 12:26 AM
Drift is a good guess. My money was on Starscream but that's boring. Also, Dalek is the only human being who has read the Drift miniseries so he knows more about him than anyone.

Auntie Slag
2014-05-03, 12:38 AM
... human being.

Mate...

Terome
2014-05-03, 12:41 AM
He's been making a convincing case lately, what with it being quite a while since he's read the Drift miniseries.

inflatable dalek
2014-05-03, 12:55 AM
There was a Drift mini-series?

Unicron
2014-05-03, 01:45 AM
Who's in the coffin...?

Assuming it isn't something wacky like Overlord scrunched himself down to fit inside the thing, I'm actually thinking it might be Ironfist (assuming his coffin got spaced). Think about it, he's got the Aequitas trial data in his head. If that info can be extracted (by say a mnemosurgeon), it would be a terrible thing for the Autobots if it were made public in a non-controlled manner.

Either that or zombie Pipes. (Got a little sick, got a little shot, got a little stomped, got a little... BRAINS!)

Speaking of zombies, and on a serious note, are Kup, Nightbeat, Cyclonus, and Brainstorm actually properly alive again or are they on some form of death support now that the Dead Universe is gone?

inflatable dalek
2014-05-03, 02:31 PM
Thinking about the Drift series... It did have that insanely OTT Mary Sue moment where Megatron brings Drift into the Decepticon fold and gives a speech to the other Decpeticons about how Drift is the most Decepticoney Decepticon of all time and even makes himself feel inadequate in comparison and everyone should strive to be like Drift from now on.

It's going to be hilarious when those two meet up again.

zigzagger
2014-05-03, 10:58 PM
Just another note:

Not really quibbling, but more of an observation; I skimmed through Chaos Theory earlier and noticed that nearly the same committee (just switch Ratchet* with Xaaron and remove Bumblebee) deliberated over how to handle Megatron's trial the first time around. With the exception of Optimus, they all agreed that handling the trial internally would be a bad idea and that involving a third/neutral party would prevent the outcome from being rigged. Always made sense to me.

Okay, sure, the situation has changed since Chaos Theory (Rodimus and crew managed to piss off the Galactic Council and discovered that Tyrest is a loon), but now they've decided to do the opposite. And Optimus simply appoints himself as judge, which still, even after the events in Chaos Theory, seems really inappropriate. Especially considering how chummy he and Megatron have been recently.

I don't know... the whole affair is fascinating, don't get me wrong, but it still makes me kind of uncomfortable. How is this trial not going to be rigged?

Is everyone going along with Prime this time because they just want to get this done and over with?

* Also, since he's sitting in on this meeting, is Ratchet a member of High Command now? Does this mean he's finally handed the reins over to First Aid?

Red Dave Prime
2014-05-04, 12:57 AM
Just another note:

Not really quibbling, but more of an observation; I skimmed through Chaos Theory earlier and noticed that nearly the same committee (just switch Ratchet* with Xaaron and remove Bumblebee) deliberated over how to handle Megatron's trial the first time around. With the exception of Optimus, they all agreed that handling the trial internally would be a bad idea and that involving a third/neutral party would prevent the outcome from being rigged. Always made sense to me.

Okay, sure, the situation has changed since Chaos Theory (Rodimus and crew managed to piss off the Galactic Council and discovered that Tyrest is a loon), but now they've decided to do the opposite. And Optimus simply appoints himself as judge, which still, even after the events in Chaos Theory, seems really inappropriate. Especially considering how chummy he and Megatron have been recently.

I don't know... the whole affair is fascinating, don't get me wrong, but it still makes me kind of uncomfortable. How is this trial not going to be rigged?

Is everyone going along with Prime this time because they just want to get this done and over with?

* Also, since he's sitting in on this meeting, is Ratchet a member of High Command now? Does this mean he's finally handed the reins over to First Aid?

I think whats changed is that the trial is as much for the cybertronians (nails). Previously, the trial would have been one faction in judgement on a member of the other, which could be seen as unfair thereby needing a third party. In this case, its the civilians judging a war criminal. So they dont necessarily need an impartial judge in this case.

zigzagger
2014-05-04, 03:28 AM
I guess part of my hang up comes down to that we pretty much know the outcome. We just don't know how the verdict is reached yet, how Optimus pardons the unpardonable. I really, really, really want to know.

I want to be convinced, but then that's me applying real-world logic, because from a narrative standpoint... it's a pretty entertaining set-up. Even if it requires the suspension of disbelief, I have to admit the concept of Optimus being the judge at Megatron's trial is pretty ****ing awesome.

Red Dave Prime
2014-05-04, 02:14 PM
Kinda hope at some point starscream puts prime on trial. I think that could be very interesting and id like to see prime bounce off another decepticon. Maybe at some point all of prowls machinations are revealed and he claims he did it all under primes direction.

Of course we still. Have prowl and the constructicons possible clash with spike. I think that could be a plot worth pursuing.

Terome
2014-05-04, 02:43 PM
Just another note:

Yes, it is pretty cool that is the second, quite exasperated, attempt to organise a trial for Megatron. Your reasonings are sound and I'm also curious to know if Ratchet has been bumped up to High Command. One for the Twitter, maybe?

Prime seems a lot less interested in doing it right and more keen on it looking like it is done right at a glance. Though he's taken the title back he's clearly still rattled by the return of the NAILs and the loss of the Matrix. Add to that the fact that the guy he left in charge was a violent little jerk who started exploding heads and almost let Megatron piss over the campfire the minute his back was turned. I imagine the trip to Earth will seem to come as a welcome relief to the headache he's come back to.

Poor Prime. When Megatron referred to 'another one of your mid-life crises' he really nailed the guy, didn't he? He's gone all Steve Zissou. And like Steve, he's really got nobody else to blame but himself.

Red Dave Prime
2014-05-05, 02:00 AM
Primes going on an overnight drunk?

Terome
2014-05-05, 09:47 PM
And in 10 days he's going to set out to find the shark that ate his friend and destroy it.

Shrapnel
2014-05-06, 09:13 AM
Kinda hope at some point starscream puts prime on trial.

Well, on this front, my main question mark in the "show" of Megatron's trial is as to whether his senior command would also come under scrutiny. And whether the likes of Soundwave and, yea, Starscream should stand trial also, it's not like Starscream only ever committed atrocity under orders (Quite how no one has thought to maybe check up on what Galvatron and co are up to in these six months is beyond me).

I suspect that Megatron has been turfed off into the Lost Light under some pretense of a judgement ruling of "exile", getting him very much out of the way (and out of the public eye), and no doubt sending him on a top secret mission of ultimate importance, offering a chance to further work towards his redemption and all that.

Red Dave Prime
2014-05-06, 06:59 PM
And in 10 days he's going to set out to find the shark that ate his friend and destroy it.

ah, the conclusion to sky bytes epic arc in RID.

Auntie Slag
2014-05-11, 12:41 PM
Just a quick thought that its Pax whose talking to Whirl on the Lost Light. Would be nice and sinister for it to be him and not Prowl being all Prowley. My reason for that is why would Whirl want to help Prowl? I know he hardly needs an excuse for bitchslapping Megatron but I think he might do it for Pax.

Skyquake87
2014-05-11, 05:14 PM
Having read this twice through, I'm amazed at how much I missed MTMTE proper during the Dark Cybertron ...thing (easily the most disappointing crossover ever. I really wish John Barber could just give up trying to reconcile some of the weaker story strands IDW came up with. Likewise, Rattrap and Scoop...just ...ugh.) and like the idea of having Megs as ship's captain, although I am puzzled that the crew seem to have quite happily accepted this. I'm sure this will be addressed in future issues, but I don't know how I'd feel having a former warlord as captain of my ship. I suppose it'd be like having one of those glorious African dictators as you're leader. Unless we're going with a Mandela vibe for Megs, I dunno...

I am actually very curious to find out where Rodimus is and what has happened to him...

Milne's art is lovely as always and Burcham's colours seemed much stronger and less wishy-washy which I also liked.