PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Ultimate Warrior

Auntie Slag
2014-04-09, 09:16 AM
I'm not a Wrestling fan, but The Ultimate Warrior (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/ultimate-warrior-dead-at-54-just-a-day-after-wwe-raw-and-wrestlemania-30-appearances-9247869.html) featured in my childhood due to a mate with Sky who loved WWF around this time period. I watched the title match where The Ultimate Warrior beat Hulk Hogan, he was fun in the arcade game too, and just a cool wrestler I thought (although my favourites were Tito Santana and a totally rubbish jobber called Duane Gill (http://art0donnell.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/jobbers-of-93.html) who looked like a deflated Hulk and got owned by everyone)

Only 54 when he died, such a shame and another name from childhood whose shuffled off.

Notabot
2014-04-09, 07:47 PM
Was it just urban legend, or was this actually the second Ultimate Warrior? I'm not a wrestling fan either, but I was thinking that the original Ultimate Warrior died in his prime and was replaced by someone who looked similar but different.

And I agree he was great in the arcade game!

Brendocon 2.0
2014-04-09, 09:21 PM
Urban legend. Probably fueled by the existence of cheap knock-off "The Renegade" who died in 1999.

Willing to bet it took Death four attempts to take Hellwig, after he no-sold the first three.

Sades
2014-04-11, 07:00 AM
Damn, dude.

Well, at least he doesn't need anyone to speak at his funeral... they just need to play this.

xR08M6EUd0g

Holy shit, Noelle Foley grew up...

Warcry
2014-04-11, 03:02 PM
Well, at least he doesn't need anyone to speak at his funeral... they just need to play this.
What's scary that he gave that speech just a day before he died. It's almost as if he knew he was about to die and held on just long enough to make amends with some old friends (apparently he went out of his way to bury a few long-standing hatchets Wrestlemania weekend) and say one last goodbye to his fans.

His short stint at the top of the industry came when I was around five or six, and then (since I didn't know about WCW back then) he just disappeared, so in my head I've always thought of him more like a superhero or cartoon character than a man who happens to be a wrestler. Having him die right after seeing him on TV for the first time since I was tiny was a huge shock (even if he did look hugely unwell on TV). It was like waking up and hearing that Superman or He-Man died -- a big chunk of my childhood unexpectedly gone. :(

inflatable dalek
2014-04-11, 07:00 PM
He certainly doesn't look a well man in that clip. Not a huge Wrestling fan (we used to watch the not-WWF stuff ITV showed on a Saturday morning with Jesse Ventura commenting) but I can appreciate the loss of a chunk of your past.

I had a bad shock today as someone I went to school with died in their sleep. I'd not spoken to them in 15 years but losing a contemporary like that is surprisingly nasty, especially when the first you hear of it is a bunch of mildly confusing Facebook comments ("Why on Earth does everyone feel sorry for Banner? Ohhh...").

Sades
2014-04-11, 07:47 PM
One of my favourite people passed away suddenly in his sleep a few years back. We weren't overly close but he was a friend, and my kinda peep- he had his bad points, probably but I never saw them. He always seemed to be a smart, genuine human bean, and he one of those types that whenever you ran into him, you could just pick up right where you left off the last time you saw each other.

I have known idiots that just waste and take for granted what he'll never have again and I just think it's so unfair. He was only 28 and I still miss running into him.

Sad thing, all of this. Death. Pisses me off that anyone has to lose anyone.

ganon578
2014-04-11, 10:22 PM
Willing to bet it took Death four attempts to take Hellwig, after he no-sold the first three.

Awesome. Like the Pedigree.