PDA

View Full Version : Maybe someone can explain it to me...

HotShot81
2014-04-12, 02:02 PM
Like many Transformer fans (or most people), I buy stuff online.

I bought a CD from the UK, took a week to get to my place.

I buy parts from the States, and it takes over 2 weeks.

Both times I paid for the rock bottom cheap shipping. It doesn't make any sense on why in the States it takes so long, while via the UK the CD has to cross an ocean, shouldn't the CD still be enroute, while the bot parts are already here?

Denyer
2014-04-12, 04:31 PM
Works the other way around as well -- you'd expect it's quick to move around the UK, with short distances, but being densely populated the road networks clog up.

HotShot81
2014-04-12, 05:46 PM
Works the other way around as well -- you'd expect it's quick to move around the UK, with short distances, but being densely populated the road networks clog up.

You knew Denyer, I saw a pair of back to back stories on 60 minutes that I hope change the nature of shipping.

One of them is the transmission of electricity, wirelessly.
The second is Amazon's idea to use drones to delivery packages close to their warehouses.

My crazy idea for continental deliveries for the future.

You can buy drones, have the package weighted, calculate how much electricity it will use, ect. Send the bill to the recipient, once they pay you, off it goes. Let's be honest here for a few moments, a GPS device, a map, and some additional programming, and this could work.

You can have the package signed for on both ends, by say a thumb print. You can even program the little bugger to hover in the area for 4-8 hours to wait for someone to come home.

In the cases of rural/hard to reach areas have docks where drones can land, and either be carried to the next wireless area, or have regular people deliver the packages for them.

Don't get me wrong here, for retail level delivers, this isn't viable. I can see all drones being programmed so that when they are programmed to cross international boarders to divert to a check point to cross from country A to B.

In theory this could change the way small to medium packages move.

Denyer
2014-04-13, 01:47 PM
The problems with wireless power (primarily loss rather than safety concerns) might be surmountable... drones, not so much. They can and will be shot down, stolen, impersonated, fall into populated areas, get hijacked remotely, etc.

HotShot81
2014-04-13, 02:58 PM
The problems with wireless power (primarily loss rather than safety concerns) might be surmountable... drones, not so much. They can and will be shot down, stolen, impersonated, fall into populated areas, get hijacked remotely, etc.

Don't get me wrong here, I see the ladder and fence argument. Just remember a lot of mail and packages have been stolen by people over the years.

I'd like to think if a drone is clearly marked delivery, people won't shoot it down. I admit I am crazy here for assuming this, but the GPS device used to navigate it, can be used to track it, so if a yahoo at 123 fake street shoots it down, or diverts it, you'll know at least where it happened.

Denyer
2014-04-13, 04:30 PM
Wasn't thinking of stolen packages particularly -- the devices themselves will be worth people acquiring.

I'd like to think if a drone is clearly marked delivery, people won't shoot it down.
Only going to work until the first weaponised drone with "delivery" markings is used. People don't trust low-flying aircraft, helicopters, etc. near property and people as it is, but are unlikely to take potshots at a craft that appears to be manned.

A specific issue is that GPS needs to be replaced with something less easy to spoof.

HotShot81
2014-04-13, 04:54 PM
Wasn't thinking of stolen packages particularly -- the devices themselves will be worth people acquiring.

I wasn't thinking of the units value, given how cheap remote control helicopters are now ($80-$100 off the top of my head) I'd see a drone in the same price range. Maybe $400-$500 for a top of the line unit.

Only going to work until the first weaponised drone with "delivery" markings is used. People don't trust low-flying aircraft, helicopters, etc. near property and people as it is, but are unlikely to take potshots at a craft that appears to be manned.

There are two to three ways to make them into weapons. Some of them can be neutralized.

Let's just say for some reason you choose to mail someone a bomb. I can easily see the drones sending local control towers their weight, destination, and who it is from, and being unable to take flight until it has that information. Yes I know you can fake who sent it, so it takes a biometric scan to send it on it's way.

Yes you can augment it with guns, and mislabel it. They did that on Sons of Guns. Its a fence and ladder situation, short of the unit being 110% under government (or 3rd party) control from when it leaves your house/business, until it gets to where it is going. There is always a chance someone might add a gun or two to it, and open fire.

As per them not being shot down, the answer is so simple. Have them fly high until they make a delivery or land at a boarder stop/truck stop. I mean these things could be programmed with a phone number/e-mail of the recipient. Say something like "Hello, Mr. X, I am drone with a package from Mr. So and so it is product ABC. When will you be home so I may deliver it?"

I mean heck I can see the drone landing at a depot for maintenance/repairs as it waits for you to get home to sign off on the package.

The more I look at this, why do I smell money to be made if I can do it?