PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Windblade

Grayfox
2014-03-14, 06:24 PM
"In the aftermath of Dark Cybertron, Windblade takes the planet by storm! But where did she come from - and what does her secret mean to the future of the Transformers?"

TPB will contain Transformers: Windblade #1-4. More information @ Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Windblade-Mairghread-Scott/dp/1631400525/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401294650&sr=8-1&keywords=windblade).

-- ziggy

----

Preview:

http://www.newsarama.com/20577-windblade-1-preview-debuts-fan-created-female-transformer.html

Red Dave Prime
2014-03-14, 08:10 PM
Didnt read the dialogue as its bound to spoiler dark cybertron but I do like the art style. Other than that, I gots nothing.

Denyer
2014-03-14, 08:11 PM
If this is treading RID ground, shouldn't it be a story arc in RID?

Not hugely against the cutesy art, faux oriental styling, etc. but not seeing anything of interest, personally.

Warcry
2014-03-14, 08:13 PM
If this is treading RID ground, shouldn't it be a story arc in RID?
Possible Dark Cybertron spoilers, if you care...

Actually, I think some of the post-Dark Cybertron covers that they've put out in solicits imply that RID will be moving to Earth soon.

Red Dave Prime
2014-03-14, 09:40 PM
I think that what Warcry spoilerd has been all but confirmed.

If I'm reading the preview stuff right, MTMTE will go back on its search for the nights but what an Autobot branded Megatron on board, Optimus will lead RID to earth and the Windblade 4/5 parter will stay on Cybertron. If things go well with Wingblade the plan I think is for it to become a full ongoing. Also as a guess, given that Wingblades story has the runner of Dawn of the Autobots its possible that Megatron has joined the Autobots so much as disbanded the Decepticon army completely and Cybertronians in general are back under an Autobot government

Denyer
2014-03-15, 10:52 AM
Ah well, easy pass then.

Terome
2014-03-15, 04:45 PM
I may be opening myself up to easy caricature by my lack of caution here but I like that well enough to give the series a shake. The art is a big draw.

Red Dave Prime
2014-03-16, 01:21 AM
Nice isnt it? The cover by Sarah Stone for the first issue is very eye-catching as well.

Skyquake87
2014-03-16, 01:53 PM
Ooh so pretty...will have to give this a go. Having a new writer on board is good!

Terome
2014-03-16, 01:55 PM
Yes. I'd say its as much of a breath of fresh air as Nick Roche was in Spotlight: Shockwave.

Not to say that Roche has gone stale, he's only gone from strength to strength since then, but that its good to have these injections of new blood every once and a while. Even if this turns out to a Heart Of Darkness kind of miscalculation, at least it's a bit different.

Terome
2014-03-16, 01:56 PM
And, that said, if this is a success then I hope the people involved aren't sidelined the way Roche has been.

Skyquake87
2014-03-16, 02:07 PM
Indeed. Stupid IDW.

Cyberstrike nTo
2014-03-16, 09:37 PM
As a writer Roche could easily give Roberts a run for his money but as an artist he's not great and to be brutally honest about it other than Spotlight: Megatron his art has looked more like it was drawn by a bad Pat Lee knockoff.

Warcry
2014-03-16, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't go that far, but I agree that Roche isn't anything special in the art department. His writing, though...small sample size, but it's some of the best that IDW have had. It's really a shame they can find extra work for Shane McCarthy but not him. :(

Red Dave Prime
2014-03-17, 07:26 PM
I disagree completely with you guys on roche art - it's so expressive and full of energy. I think the problem with him is that if he has a tight deadline or a lot of issues his work becomes somewhat rushed (LSOTW starts off great but has a few wavy panels as it goes on). But on the whole I think his style is great. And it clearly brought out the best in Alex Milne too. To my mind spotlight:shockwave, spotlight:megatron and the two spotlight: kups are fantastic. Death of Optimus Prime is top drawer stuff too.

Denyer
2014-03-17, 07:46 PM
I really enjoy the energetic feel of his stuff, although Milne riffing off Roche is arguably the best of all worlds.

inflatable dalek
2014-03-17, 08:13 PM
I love pretty much evertything Roche has done in terms of writing and art, and I do think it's a shame IDW basically pushed him away during the Costa era with that "We've got plenty of good writers, so we only want you to draw" attitude.

On the other hand though, I think his absence these days is very much down to his choice, he's keen to do other things and, as much as his is a fan, he also enjoys drawing and writing humans so it's hardly surprising he's got the itch to do other things (IIRC not being the regular artist on MTMTE was very much his choice).

Cyberstrike nTo
2014-03-18, 03:33 PM
I disagree completely with you guys on roche art - it's so expressive and full of energy. I think the problem with him is that if he has a tight deadline or a lot of issues his work becomes somewhat rushed (LSOTW starts off great but has a few wavy panels as it goes on). But on the whole I think his style is great. And it clearly brought out the best in Alex Milne too. To my mind spotlight:shockwave, spotlight:megatron and the two spotlight: kups are fantastic. Death of Optimus Prime is top drawer stuff too.

My problem with his art is his constant attempt to mix G1 with Animated/Prime/LAM asthetics. IMHO they don't mix. Figuroa couldn't do it, and Roche also couldn't do it. All the engery and expressiveness can't help if I can't tell who is who and what is going on.

His style in TDoOP and MTMTE #1 was some the worst art since Pat Lee. TLSotW was a mixed bag he drew great dialoge scenes but his fight scenes were a mess.

Spotlight: Shockwave and Spotlight: Kup were nothing special (I didn't remember he did them) and Spotlight: Megatron was the first time I actually work.

Denyer
2014-03-18, 08:15 PM
All the engery and expressiveness can't help if I can't tell who is who
Think that's more you than him.

inflatable dalek
2014-03-18, 08:21 PM
I'm really struggling to think of any LAM influence on Roche's work (and he's fairly open about both not liking the film look and finding it really hard to draw when he did it for Titan). Plus, he was doing the big square jaw and clean lines thing before Prime and Animated, so it's unfair to say he's riffing on them.

zigzagger
2014-04-14, 06:49 PM
Full preview now up @ Newsarama (http://www.newsarama.com/20829-idw-debut-previews-star-mage-1-windblade-1-extended-look.html).

Denyer
2014-04-14, 09:07 PM
Bit better. Will probably check this out in trade.

zigzagger
2014-04-14, 11:52 PM
Stone's art. I love it. It's so vibrant, and overall just plain fun to look at.

The story so far; it seems promising. I like the tone, anyway.

Not sure if I'm on board for this, though. May weigh in judging by how others felt (nothing against the creative team, but I'd still rather not commit to more than one book).

Red Dave Prime
2014-04-15, 08:23 AM
Like the vibe. Its different and a bit more of what I hoped to have seen from RID after its initial set-up to be honest. Starscream as a vicous, but efficient ruler is a great idea and the scene has an almost Game of Thrones vibe to it. Really like the artwork as well. Distinct from the other main artists but everyone is clearly recognisable.

I'm going to be an Optimist Prime for this one. Fingers crossed.

Terome
2014-04-16, 12:14 PM
Yep, 'promising' is the word. I am now classing myself as a fan of Stone's work.

tahukanuva
2014-04-16, 01:01 PM
I've just read it. It's pretty dang good; fun, intriguing, and some gorgeous and character-ful art. Full recommendation.

Red Dave Prime
2014-04-16, 05:10 PM
Really liked it. Art Style, colouring, characters and plot all blend into an interesting slice of transformers. And too early to say yet I know, but this could be the best starscream ever.

inflatable dalek
2014-04-16, 05:16 PM
SPOILERS HO!

So, after all the fuss? Was Windblade any good then?

It was OK. It's was nice the female issue was dealt with in the way it always should have been (basically boiling down to "And why not?", mind, if other characters are going to keep asking about it, it'll get old real quick), the art was a nice change of pace and- assuming the other two books are going to be full on verbose wit and action respectively the more whimsical tone makes for a good contrast as well.

I also really liked the idea of the Cybertronian colonists, the fact all those who had left the planet had adapted their cultures and physiologies was the sort of thing RID tried to imply with the all the bonkers NAILs designs but never really did much with. I doubt (well, hope) that with only four issues this won't be making much play of being a stranger in a strange land either, but it could be an interesting avenue for whichever book picks up on Cybertron afterwards to follow through on (anything would be better than the poorly handled political stuff of the last year).

The big problem though is that the lead character is several pages behind the reader- we all know Starsceam is an untrustworthy bastard, everyone else on Cybertron knows it (which makes him not only being in charge again but that it's lasted six months even odder, does no one give a toss?), so all of her angst and back and forth over her working relationship with him really feels like treading water. Whilst it makes sense for someone new and who is presented as naive (frankly almost stupidly naive if it's taken her six months to reach this point), it doesn't make having to sit through her learning something everyone else has known for thirty years any less tedious.

Still, cautiously optimistic assuming that, with intros out of the way, things pick up a gear next month (the Barberish first person narration will hopefully be cut back on a lot as well, this is a character with not one but two confidents she can confide in, conveying her personality and beliefs can be done just as well through interaction than voiceover).

Mind, I really can't see it swaying anyone who wasn't expecting to enjoy it.

Oh, and it was nice at least one of the writers cares about the new Tankor toy enough to give him something more to do than a really forced "My name is Tankor and I am important!" moment. Best writing for Rattrap so far as well. As in all his words seemed to be written normally rather than in a desperate attempt to be phonetic.

Knightdramon
2014-04-16, 07:47 PM
Not a bad issue, a very light read indeed.

It looks like it basically recycled all the pseudo political and "everyday peace" issues from RID though.

And yes; an echo on Starscream. It's pretty obvious that he's being set up as the guy that has done the badies but he hasn't actually done anything.

On Starscream's leadership---he actually is the lesser of all evils.

Bumblebee and Metalhawk are dead.

Optimus Prime probably still sees himself as a symbol of war, despite taken the mantle of Primes again, and would not be interested/know what to do in a time of peace with bots that weren't his soldiers to begin with. Or he might be preoccupied with hunting down the remaining Decepticons.

Rodimus probably opted out himself. I think he'd die of boredom trying to rule a planet, especially after going through all the crazy adventures in MTMTE. Plus, he's only so popular with the Autobots [it looks like no neutrals besides Cyclonus followed him on his first voyage] as he banked on the Prime suffix as well.

Megatron is publicly seen as the reason the planet collapsed on itself in war. I think he figured his best chance would be to travel with the only group of misfits more or less broken away from proper military protocol, to see if it suits him.

Stupid prophecies aside, Starscream -did- fight for the planet more or less in dark cybertron, and actively stayed around the civilians. So yeah, to the public eye, bad luck aside, he'd still be option 1.

Red Dave Prime
2014-04-16, 08:32 PM
I think (and this is just my impression) that they want to potray Starscream as a bit of a Good Tyrant. He wants the city functioning again so his people are happy so that they allow him to remain in charge. I just got the feeling here and in the last few issues of Dark Cybertron that he is become more of a politician - and a corrupt one at that.

Terome
2014-04-17, 02:33 PM
Read it, enjoyed it. Not quite 'for me' but I have a reasonable idea of its target audience and I think it has served it well. If we compare it to The Death Of Optimus Prime of old, I think we're looking at a much better entry-level comic to bring in the new readers.

I don't have a problem with the Starscream thing as this is very consciously a jumping on point and there are a lot of Starscreams out there. Also there are several plausible in-story reasons why all this should come as a surprise to the naive Windblade - the NAILs seem to clearly outnumber the Autobots and Decepticons and she hasn't really spoken to anyone yet who isn't Chromia or Metroplex. She might not even have met Starscream before now.

I am guessing that Starscream isn't the guy behind the explosion we see here.

Really liked the art and character designs (though there were some pages that seemed to suffer from the inevitable time-crunch what looks like a very work-intensive colouring process), the characterisation of Metroplex, the motley 'on shelves now' supporting cast and the perfectly sensible, interesting and world-expanding backstory (though I was not expecting to learn about it all so soon).

zigzagger
2014-05-08, 05:25 AM
Transformers: Windblade #2 three-page preview by way of iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/transformers-windblade-2/id875120307?mt=11).

Red Dave Prime
2014-05-08, 09:44 AM
Thats a bit disappointing. Art seems a bit off in parts, maybe a bit more rushed than the first issue. The starscream angle seems a bit heavy handed and while its cute that the reporter interviews the guys in the bar, it makes the story feel smaller in scale.

Still only a preview, but it didn't get me hyped for the issue at all.

Death's Head
2014-05-08, 12:04 PM
Is that Longtooth on Page 3, Panel 1!?

Rack 'n Ruin
2014-05-08, 12:30 PM
Looks like some Longtooth visual references, but Blurr seems to be talking to Circuit. Is Longtooth Circuit's cameraman? Or is that what Circuit looks like now?

Death's Head
2014-05-08, 12:38 PM
According to the wiki yup, he's Circuit's cameraman.

Still looks freakish.

zigzagger
2014-05-20, 07:30 PM
Full preview is now up @ Comics Continuum (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1405/20/idwfirsts.htm).

Out tomorrow.

Terome
2014-05-22, 06:04 PM
Okay, a lot less impressive that the first issue. The drawing's great, especially on Waspinator, but everything else is very thin. These television serial story beats really aren't enough for a comic.

inflatable dalek
2014-05-24, 07:25 AM
Thought it was a generally solid read, though I'm still hoping for a twist where Starscream isn't behind what's going on (why trust Waspinator anyway?).

I do think the political side of things is being handled much better than when it was RID's preserve, and it feels nice and pacey as well which is a bonus.

Though with all this talk of buying drinks... how is anyone making any "Money" (Energon chips?) in order to pay Blurr? He only ever seems to have the same six customers, if they spend all day getting pissed how do they afford it? Does Waspinator seem like a bot of limitless wealth?

zigzagger
2014-06-11, 03:27 AM
Transformers: Windblade #3 three-page preview is up @ iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id887659445?mt=11).

Blackjack
2014-06-11, 04:17 AM
Haven't read a Transformers comic ever since Dark Cybertron started so I have no clue what is going on or who stereotypically-Japanese-fanwank-character is supposed to be but I can say that I like the art.

To those that has been following the comic: is it worth it to read Dark Cybertron? Or can I just jump back into MTMTE whilst ignoring it? Is RID still a contradictory mass of jumbled up ideas and continuity fixes no one cares about? Is this spinoff thing good?

Death's Head
2014-06-11, 03:03 PM
I ignored Dark Cybertron for the most part, and thankfully it seems that More Than Meets the Eye is as well.

RiD I have no idea.

Denyer
2014-06-11, 07:57 PM
is it worth it to read Dark Cybertron?
Wasn't worth cover price and I wouldn't particularly recommend it.

RiD seems to be humans teaming up with Decepticons on Earth same-old same-old crap.

inflatable dalek
2014-06-18, 07:27 PM
Was this not supposed to be out today? Doesn't seem to be on Comixology.

Unicron
2014-06-19, 05:02 PM
Delayed till next week, so it'll be out with MTMTE

Knightdramon
2014-06-29, 10:55 AM
:lol:

You know it's bad when nobody has commented on the actual issue 5 days after release.

Boring, pointless, inconsistent. -Definitely- written to attract a younger audience.

I just love how Starscream just changes personality and traits to each story he's written for. I think the longest he's been consistent with himself was RID with Barber.

Is this like the 3rd outing of the terrorcons? F*ck they're generic. First, "badasses" in Monstrosity, then morons in SL: Sixshot, then, part of some group with seacons [or look alikes that are part of a group with seacons], then...prime terrorcons in the sewers? I'm...confused.

The "gang" assembled should not go down as easily as it did, especially considering it outnumbered the terrorcons. The leader of the Dinobots should not fall like that to a genericon.

Rattrap with that torture zapper...what the f*ck?

I think the writer is just confusing/or being told to write things closer to Prime the TV show rather than the overall tone RID and MTMTE had.

And while we all love to bash Furman for rehashing and repeating ideas...isn't this the 3rd f*cking time Scott has written some beast looking/insect looking evil guys being underground and siphoning energon/dark energon? 3 out of 3? :lol:

Denyer
2014-06-29, 01:09 PM
I like this in the same way I don't mind the Bumblebee miniseries taken as its own thing rather than particularly part of IDW continuity. And it's miles better than RiD was (and is) for my money. It's more of a short graphic novel than a monthly comic, though.

Capsule review: mostly harmless.

inflatable dalek
2014-06-29, 05:26 PM
I talked about this on Facebook but forgot to mention it here, pretty much agreed with Denyer, a fairly harmless read, though I can't comment on the similarities to Scott's earlier comics.

tahukanuva
2014-06-29, 05:46 PM
She was part of the writing staff on Prime, which shows most clearly in Starscream (though he is being written similarly dialogue-wise in the current MTMtE flashbacks, and has had that self-deprecating edge for a while now).

Anyway, I'm really liking Windblade. All the characters are really fun. The plot's still pretty much a whodunnit, but it's a vehicle for a character interaction piece anyway, so eh. I'm glad it's gotten picked up for a second mini.

Terome
2014-06-29, 07:08 PM
Harmless is right. Without the interesting art there wouldn't be much to remark on. While some of the movement and action isn't done as well here as in previous issues, it is very good.

Personally, I can buy Rattrap as someone who would resort to clumsy torture if he felt the situation called for it. He's always been a bit nasty.

The "gang" assembled should not go down as easily as it did, especially considering it outnumbered the terrorcons. The leader of the Dinobots should not fall like that to a genericon.

Is Slag supposed to be anything special? I have the impression he's just a very unhappy person in a unit that relies more on dirty fighting and brutality than any particular skill. I'm more concerned that he's lost that unhinged, mystic air that Barber attached to him, which is a shame as it's the most interesting he's ever been.

Now Blurr, he's supposed to be some sort of superhero. He went down easily.

zigzagger
2014-07-10, 04:40 AM
Transformers: Windblade #4 three-page preview by way of iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id897638801?mt=11).

inflatable dalek
2014-07-23, 06:45 PM
Spoilers Ho!

That was a pleasant surprise and the strongest issue out of the series, yes as a result of trying to watch so much Poirot in a short space of time the whodunnit became a bit obvious (the least likely person of course, it would have been more shocking if it had been anyone but Chromia) and Metroplex being a big mystical mystery who can only communicate through a third party felt a bit odd right after re-reading the ...Ocity stuff where he's really chatty.

However there's lots of good ideas it flowed well and I really liked the ending which was about characters having to learn to live with each other rather than blowing up stuff.

Red Dave Prime
2014-07-23, 07:22 PM
I'm less convinced by the series as a whole to be honest. I liked the art style throughout (issue 2 being a bit weak) but I found there were some weird things here that didnt gel. The metroplex as mystic is one, but I could sort of dismiss that as him being damaged and so unable or unwilling to communicate anymore. I also dont like the starscream stuff. Its not the character, more that so far IDW have failed to give any kind of reason why the general population would still follow him. I know he has to be somewhat evil and manipulative but He also has to be doing some good and this series merely stuck to the bad side (windblade doesnt know if she can thrust him which is odd because clearly no-one else does. So how is he still in power?)

And I have a slight issue with Windblade herself. First off, the city talker thing is a neat idea but how did she get the job? I think she implies in the first issue that Metroplex is her first one and the only other one she could have known is Caminus so what gives? Thats a minor niggle but it bugged me anyway.

More strange was her character itself - in Dark Cybertron and the few glimpses of her in RID, she is strong, vocal and somewhat stoic. Here she is outspoken, unsure, timid and almost submissive early on to Starscream. Given that this was the series to launch her what gives?

After reading the above you may get the impression that I didnt like this but I actually did enjoy it for the most part. Just there were a few things that didnt sit right with me and they took away from the series. Enjoyable but felt deeply flawed to me (there's other things I didnt like as well but I've typed enough)

Terome
2014-07-23, 10:23 PM
Quite liked the conclusion. Found it satisfying probably because, like Dalek said, it was really about three personalities learning how to get along.

I think that making Metroplex a mysterious goddy thing is a much better idea than having him just be a big person from the beginning of time. It certainly smooths over the whole question of why he doesn't just tell everyone where the Knights are, what Primus was like, what kind of tea to buy etc.

I also dont like the starscream stuff. Its not the character, more that so far IDW have failed to give any kind of reason why the general population would still follow him. I know he has to be somewhat evil and manipulative but He also has to be doing some good and this series merely stuck to the bad side (windblade doesnt know if she can thrust him which is odd because clearly no-one else does. So how is he still in power?)

See, the Starscream stuff has for me been one of the highlights. I can buy the basic premise that the NAILs are behind him as a protest vote or similar - he gave up his badge and stood behind the ideals of their guy Metalhawk - and having him as a villain that you can't simply shoot is an interesting place for the character to be in. All the people we've met who know better than to trust him are Autobots and Decepticons who have the full picture. And I really like the reveal here that his villainry has been fairly small-time and that, in fact, he might just be Cybertron's best hope at reunification.

I agree with your 'enjoyable but flawed' summary though I would like to see more from this team. Once they get a few series under their belt I think they will have it waxed.

Incidentally - Dalek, how was that -Ocity reread? I can't stand those things myself.

Denyer
2014-07-23, 10:45 PM
#4 did go a long way towards redeeming second and third parts that felt padded.

Not sure how far the cityspeaker concept will stretch... it's a heavily plot-resolving deus ex machina, just as Metroplex/Trypticon realistically would be.

Blackjack
2014-07-24, 12:40 PM
Mmm, an enjoyable read. It's a bit confusing the first time around because during the big revelation as Windblade is connected to Metroplex I was going all HOLY SHIT INJECTOR. On a reread, though I did enjoy the issue quite a bit. The vision combined speech makes it a bit confusing what she's referring to but I'm pretty sure that's just me. Overall pretty fun stuff. The Metroplex/cityspeaker combination bit does feel a bit of a random thing to be dropped on, but overall it's a satisfactory conclusion. Starscream was really fun throughout, even if I'm not sure how imprisoning Circuit, Longtooth, the Tankors etc who were, y'know, civilians, would hold up.

(My money initially was on a grief-stricken Ironhide trying to do something with Metroplex to get his vision of Gorlam Prime to work. Or the painfully obvious Rattrap. I didn't even consider Chromia!)

The metroplex as mystic is one, but I could sort of dismiss that as him being damaged and so unable or unwilling to communicate anymore.

That was my thought too, yeah. It doesn't particularly gel with the -Ocity series but in his other appearances in Spotlight Metroplex, the Ironhide mini and Dark Cybertron Metroplex was speaking in pretty vague generalisms and generally never stood down and spoken one-on-one with any character bar Alpha Trion (and even then offscreen).

I also dont like the starscream stuff. Its not the character, more that so far IDW have failed to give any kind of reason why the general population would still follow him.

This. Considering how everyone was going 'Starscream you shit' back during Dark Cybertron when the Necrotitan blew everything up, I'm not sure why he is still in charge. I found that absolutely odd when I read Dark Cybertron after Windblade, and everyone was just going on and on about how Starscream sucks.

His characterization in this series is some of the better Starscream work I've seen, though.

And I have a slight issue with Windblade herself. First off, the city talker thing is a neat idea but how did she get the job? I think she implies in the first issue that Metroplex is her first one and the only other one she could have known is Caminus so what gives? Thats a minor niggle but it bugged me anyway.

Yeah, I'm pretty confused what exactly made Windblade a Cityspeaker beyond "she's special", but presumably she's trained by Caminus? Did she actually live in Caminus itself? If so then she would be able to talk to a Titan no problem, but if Metroplex was her first, then it's just odd all around.

Might have to give the earlier issues and Dark Cybertron a quick reread to see if I've missed anything.

More strange was her character itself - in Dark Cybertron and the few glimpses of her in RID, she is strong, vocal and somewhat stoic. Here she is outspoken, unsure, timid and almost submissive early on to Starscream. Given that this was the series to launch her what gives?

I took her being timid to Starscream early on as being subservient to the local governor or the local power. Whereas in Dark Cybertron there's not exactly anyone to order her around -- Ultra Magnus spent most of the time talking to Nautica and Chromia anyway -- so she doesn't exactly get to display that side of her. Now, after all the adrenaline (so to speak) had bled off and she's trying to find her niche in Cybertron she's just trying not to offend anyone since she's the new kid in the block.

See, the Starscream stuff has for me been one of the highlights. I can buy the basic premise that the NAILs are behind him as a protest vote or similar - he gave up his badge and stood behind the ideals of their guy Metalhawk - and having him as a villain that you can't simply shoot is an interesting place for the character to be in. All the people we've met who know better than to trust him are Autobots and Decepticons who have the full picture.

I do quite like this take on the character very much as well. RID never quite sat well with me since killing Metalhawk and employing Rattrap aside, he's not quite feel devious enough to be Starscream. He just feels like your run-of-the-mill corrupt governor. Here, he actually does sound like Starscream and acts like Starscream if Starscream was a governor, which is good character-wise... but raises the problem Red Dave pointed above about why the hell is everyone still putting up with him.

Not sure how far the cityspeaker concept will stretch... it's a heavily plot-resolving deus ex machina, just as Metroplex/Trypticon realistically would be.

Do agree that the cityspeaker bit does feel a bit deus ex machina-y. Isn't quite bad as it was in Dark Cybertron when she suddenly pops out of nowhere and goes 'hey guys I can talk to this titan, see?'

inflatable dalek
2014-07-24, 08:08 PM
Incidentally - Dalek, how was that -Ocity reread? I can't stand those things myself.

It's probably the very definition of a harmless comic, not something I'd really recommend (well, except maybe to someone who doesn't read the comics but did really love the cartoon) and I'm still not sure why they didn't just set it in the TV show universe (the first especially would barely need to be rewritten), but Livio has some nice stuff and it's and it doesn't take long enough to read to become really annoying.