PDA

View Full Version : 30 Years of the Comic.

inflatable dalek
2014-05-09, 08:25 AM
Ashamed to say I didn't click to this till reading a post at Transmasters, but (going by the Wiki) yesterday, May 8th, was the thirtieth anniversary of the publication of the first Marvel US issue.

Indeed, as it came out before the cartoon that the 30th anniversary of TF fiction full stop. Happy birthday giant evil looking Optimus Prime and off-model Buster and Sparkplug!

Considering yesterday was also new comics day, it's actually rather amusing IDW didn't have anything out at all, let alone anything celebratory. An issue of MTMTE would actually have been kind of appropriate (or if they'd been really clever they could have timed Reg to finish a couple of months later for an exactly 30 years series).

Auntie Slag
2014-05-09, 09:07 AM
Not bad, when I was a kid I honestly didn't think anyone would even remember Transformers by the time we're thirty. I didn't think I would either. And now look at the universe we live in, its flipping great, unless you're a Nigerian school child or Stuart Hall, which I'm 93% sure we aren't.

Its all timeliness though, we've benefited massively from the internet, nostalgia, boxsets and so on. Right time, right place perhaps.

Its 2014 and I can go down the local shop and buy a TF comic, just like I did in the 80's. That is fantastic, and I don't even need to feel weird about it as even geekiness is fashionable these days.

inflatable dalek
2014-05-09, 02:47 PM
I don't know, if you wanted to be get on well with kids being a Transformers fan would be a good way of doing it. Hi Mr. Hall if you're reading!

Oh hello, is this the elevator to hell?

Warcry
2014-05-09, 03:36 PM
Transformers is only two months younger than I am! :o It's hard to believe it's been around this long, but then it's hard to believe I've been around this long!

Agreed that IDW missed the boat by not putting out something yesterday. A 30th Anniversary special would have made lots of sense to me, at least, since Hasbro's making such a big deal of it. Though the fact that we can even legitimately bitch about that just tells you how far we've come in the last decade.

Auntie Slag
2014-05-09, 04:41 PM
Mr. Hall was into messing with kids way before Transformers came along. He must've used different props.

And if they had been around then he'd have had to seriously immerse himself in the mythos.

"I'm sorry Mr. Hall, you're not coming within five feet of me until you can reconcile the two Megatron's plot".

Far easier to stick to the GI Joe fans.

inflatable dalek
2014-05-09, 04:44 PM
Agreed that IDW missed the boat by not putting out something yesterday. A 30th Anniversary special would have made lots of sense to me, at least, since Hasbro's making such a big deal of it. Though the fact that we can even legitimately bitch about that just tells you how far we've come in the last decade.

Still, as long as they do something for the anniversary of the good comic on September 20th it'll all be gravy.

Let's not forget Stewart Hall's most famous show was named after ultra obscure Transformer Knock Out. Years before Knock Out was even created. That's how much of a fan he is.

Auntie Slag
2014-05-09, 04:47 PM
Yeah, but the fans are a whole other world of anal than the sort he's into.

[Edit] This is getting a bit sick eh? Mods, I'll delete this if its way over the top. Freedom of speech and all that... I know he's admitted to one case of assault out of the 21 so far, but I feel a bit sick with myself for having written that!

Cyberstrike nTo
2014-05-13, 01:45 PM
I was going to ask and/or google who Stu Hall is (or was) but I think I'm better off not knowing.

Skyquake87
2014-05-13, 10:14 PM
He was a Sports / Television presenter here in the UK, most famous for fronting 'Its A Knock Out', which was a sort of Takeshi's Castle/ Wipe Out thing. In silly costumes. Usually on a race track.

Hall is one of a number of aging British celebrities now being investigated for sexual assault (allegedly) and other misdemeanors with minors (allegedly), all of which have come to light in the last few years.

inflatable dalek
2014-05-13, 10:25 PM
He was a Sports / Television presenter here in the UK, most famous for fronting 'Its A Knock Out', which was a sort of Takeshi's Castle/ Wipe Out thing. In silly costumes. Usually on a race track.

Bizarely the defence council in his current trial has apparently started doing It's A Knock Out themed jokes, which seems wildly inappropriate. Between that and Max Clifford's insane behaviour (making a large part of his trial proving his penis is entirely average sized, doing a little dance behind a journalist reporting on the average size of his penis...) it's as if the ones who know they have no chance of aquittal have all decided to have a bet with one another over who can make the whole thing most like that episode of Brass Eye.

If Rolf Harris starts doing a painting of a little fence going off into the distance I'm going to get worried.

@Slag, I think it's OK as we're making jokes at the expense of genuinely horrible people.

And that's just the Transformers fans

If anyone objects (or if this gets enough milage for it's own "Our childhood's are literally buggered" discussion) I may wind up splitting off posts though.

As well as being mildly amazed at the staying power of the comic and it's fandom, it's also mind boggling to think this place is only just shy of being twenty years old. How did that happen?

inflatable dalek
2014-09-20, 09:19 AM
And today, September 20th, is the 30th anniversary of the UK comic.

You'd think that as someone who runs a website almost exclusively dedicated to the UK comic I'd have been well aware of this in advance and would have done something especially dedicated to the birthday.

Yes, you would think that.

Auntie Slag
2014-09-20, 09:28 AM
Yay, happy biRThday Transformers. Octopus Prime was easily the best leader in 1984.

Birdman75
2015-01-15, 11:57 AM
Indeed, as it came out before the cartoon that the 30th anniversary of TF fiction full stop. Happy birthday giant evil looking Optimus Prime and off-model Buster and Sparkplug!

That off-model Sparkplug looks oddly like Alex Ferguson, but, considering the fact that the artist responsible probably wasn't an Aberdeen fan, I assume that any resemblance was purely coincidental... ;)

inflatable dalek
2015-01-15, 08:24 PM
Well, they say all Man U fans live everywhere other than Manchester, presumably that includes them living in the past as well.

inflatable dalek
2015-03-10, 08:27 PM
And yesterday, March 9th, was the 30th anniversary of Simon Furman's first Transformers work.

Or the Furmanniversary if you will.