PDA

View Full Version : Classic Starscream Fix Help

ganon578
2014-05-09, 02:26 PM
Hi everyone!

I have limited to no kitbashing abilities, and I've run into a problem with my Universe Starscream (of the Classics mold that has been overdone many times over).

I had him in a box in jet mode, and my son (bless his 20 month old heart) took another one of my TF's and threw it directly on top of Starscream. Instead of just mashing down into the pile, Starscream's wing snapped off. The part that is broken is a tiny plastic peg that holds the entire wing into the rack assembly for flipping the wing onto his back.

I managed to push the peg out of the assembly, but it's quite difficult to tack back onto the wing. I tried Loctite, which worked well for reattaching, but trying to snap it back into the assembly didn't work. The force required to get it back in there just sheered the relatively brittle Loctite - it's not a smooth cylindrical peg, it has a lip on the top to keep it in the assembly.

Any ideas on how to get this one fixed? If possible, I'd like to keep him transformable. I'll send some photos of the break when I get a chance tonight.

Thanks for any help!!!

Warcry
2014-05-09, 04:42 PM
I'm at work right now so I'm going from memory, but based on how small those pegs are I think you may be screwed. :( The peg is probably too small to securely reattach with any glue after a break like that, and the wing is probably too thin to be able to drill into it and run a pin through to support the repair.

You can glue it together using crazy glue or even the sort of glue you'd use on model kits, and that would probably hold well enough in one mode or the other. But I don't think it'd stand up to the stress of being transformed long-term.

Your best bet might be to find a junker and steal a wing from it.

ganon578
2014-05-10, 04:12 AM
Yeah, I was afraid that would be the case. Way to small to drill. The only other thing I could think of would be to find a peg the same diameter at a hardware store (wire or rod) and drill into the wing a bit. Then secure the rod with glue and cut it to fit. Here's some pics of the break:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/raistlin578/photo_zpsfa8ecc5b.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/raistlin578/media/photo_zpsfa8ecc5b.jpg.html)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/raistlin578/photo1_zpsb979b553.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/raistlin578/media/photo1_zpsb979b553.jpg.html)

Clay
2014-05-10, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I was afraid that would be the case. Way to small to drill. The only other thing I could think of would be to find a peg the same diameter at a hardware store (wire or rod) and drill into the wing a bit. Then secure the rod with glue and cut it to fit. Here's some pics of the break:

It's not too small to drill. It can be fixed with a capped pin (like the kind that holds the wheels on car transformers), and then reinforced with a bit of plumber's putty. It'd look like a little war-wound on the underside, but it'd still be fully functional as opposed to gluing it in place. I could fix it for you, but I don't know that the cost of mailing it back and forth would be cheaper than just getting another Starscream that's broken in a different place and swapping the part out. You might try the Junkion Exchange at TFW... lots of kitbashers trade parts in there, and I've seen the basic body of the seeker mold used without the wings for many customs... I'm sure somebody's got a pair of clipped wings.

But if fixing this particular Starscream is a point of pride, let me know. :)

ganon578
2014-05-10, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the help! This particular Screamer isn't really dear to me. He is my only Classics one, but it's not like my wife or kids bought him for me. Just a random TRU purchase.

I'll look into the sites you recommended since I don't know if I trust my own skills at doing this one.;)

If I can't find anything that's suitable/inexpensive, I'll let you know!

ganon578
2014-06-23, 05:12 PM
I just bid on one off eBay - $10 and it's missing the left wing. Coincidentally mine needs a right! Anyone know if the silver pin that holds the whole wing on is easily removed? I could just pull it out and replace it with the (hopefully) incoming one.

Clay
2014-06-25, 10:12 PM
It's at an awkward angle, but it's fairly easy to take out. You need to pop the wing off first and then tilt the torso back. Then set it on a vice or anything else that's level and has a gap for the pin to go through and just hammer it out with a pin punch.

ganon578
2014-06-27, 03:14 AM
It's at an awkward angle, but it's fairly easy to take out. You need to pop the wing off first and then tilt the torso back. Then set it on a vice or anything else that's level and has a gap for the pin to go through and just hammer it out with a pin punch.

Thanks Clay! I took a look at it once the 'junker' came in today. I ended up just popping the 'junker' wing off since it was really loose on the figure. It snapped right into place on my old one and is fairly snug - no need for pin removal!

Hooray! My Starscream is back!

Thanks for all the help and sugesstions. Now only one question remains... I have a Starscream with no wings. Anyone got ideas on a kitbash/repaint?