PDA

View Full Version : X-Men Days of Future Past.

inflatable dalek
2014-05-24, 05:05 PM
Spoilers ho biatches.

Generally a very solid, fun film that even managed to surprise me in a few places (so confident was I that they won't be able to get/afford Lawrence for a third one I expected her to die at least twice). It is very derivative of pretty much every time travel film you've ever seen, even directly acknowledging the debt to the Universe reboot idea of the '09 Star Trek film, but it's well done and most of the cast were excellent.

Though, despite basically looking the same, it was very clear from his voice and his performance Patrick Stewart is a Very Old Man now and scenes where he was clearly supposed to look stressed and tormented wound up feeling more like he was in desperate need of a good nap. Though the redemption of McKellan-Magneto was very nicely done.

It is very heavy on film and comic lore (not being familiar with Quicksilver- who was brilliant- I didn't realise what I originally took to be a Uri Geller joke when he mentions his Mum hung round with a guy who could manage metal like Magneto was actually a nod at his parentage) but if you really really love The X-Men there's a lot to get out of this. God knows what anyone for whom this is their first X-Movie would make of it though.

And the film ends with everything rebooted so the young-cast films can go in their own direction, though perhaps on that score firmly showing the happy end in store for most of the characters they might want to reintroduce (though not showing Magneto's future fate was a smart move) does seem to limit some of their future options. Though it'll probably only be two films before the continuity winds up a mess again.

And with Wolverine now in Mystique's hands that presumably leaves it open for Jackman to continue in the prequels now?

One shame for me was the complete absence of even a token line explaining Professor X being all better from being exploded. I'd be fine if they were completely ignoring the third film as seems to be the case with the first Wolverine movie (I've only seen it once but IIRC nothing here is compatible with Logan meeting Stryker in Vietnam in that) but there are flashbacks to some of its events during the movie that just brings focus to them ignoring the elephant in the room.

Though less essential as he was hardly a major character it might have been fun to have a line about the big sad eyed black bloke being Bob Trask rather than the Bolivar Trask.

One thing a friend suggested might have worked better is if X had just been left as dead from the third film and Magneto had been leading the future mutants solo, that would have given his resurrection in the new timeline some real ommph. They could have still done the two-X's chatting by having it be an hallucination brought on by the mind-meld with Logan.

Some small niggles:

I think I'd have preferred it if they'd just created a new character to power the Quantum Leap McGuffin (or if there's an X-Man with some time related powers just use them instead) rather than giving Kitty Pryde random new abilities to try and appease fans of the comic story.

It also felt a bit of a shame that the second most important female character in the movie does nothing but rub Hugh Jackman's temples for two hours (and how long was she sat there doing that anyway if past and future were moving alongside in real time after he went back? Days? Weeks?).

Halle Berry was not only still awful, but twice in the film there's the weird implication Logan doesn't actually know what her name is, "Scott... Jean... Storm!".

Kelsey Grammer's Beast make up in his three second cameo was terrible, and some of the CGI on the 70's Sentinel's was pretty poor as well (and they never remotely convinced as something built at the time).

Terrible post credits sequence as well, even if you're familiar enough with Apocalypse to have a clue what is going on (which I don't) it doesn't even have the most token of connections to the rest of the film.

But to round off with some more positives, I really liked young Beast, a very nice performance, and Lawrence and Fassbender were both fantastic as well. I liked the David Frost gag as well, much more subtle than the one Doctor Who did.

Brendocon 2.0
2014-05-24, 06:22 PM
Was fully prepared to hate it based on promotional material, but I thought it was really very good indeed.

There's obviously a few little irks (probably along a similar line to Dalek's, I've only skimmed his post), but overall I can cope.

There's a few potential continuity glitches that I could probably pick up on from the pre-altered timeline, but the series has always been shocking when it comes to internal continuity anyway.

Easily the best X-film yet. Though I realise that's faint praise.

Lots of little cameos and easter eggs to warm my inner geek. Plus if they can find room to give Ink (INK! Ink of all people!) a cameo then there's hope yet for [insert one of a dozen actual characters who still haven't appeared].

Shame they couldn't retcon a proper actor for Scott, but I'll take what I'm given these days.

(I've already had the opportunity to lay the pedant-slap on one person who accused it of ripping off Terminator, so everybody wins)

inflatable dalek
2014-05-28, 08:29 AM
Was fully prepared to hate it based on promotional material, but I thought it was really very good indeed.

Yeah, I'd gone in with a similar anti-mind frame, mainly because I've always considered Singer's importance to the franchise hugely overrated (X2 still stands up but the first is about as good as the third and I find all have aged badly as I've probably banged on about before).

The success of his post X2 films very much suggested to me that he needed the X-Men more than they needed him.

There's a few potential continuity glitches that I could probably pick up on from the pre-altered timeline, but the series has always been shocking when it comes to internal continuity anyway.

There's only two that really niggle me, the first being Professor X not being dead not being explained. Minor continuity things, fair enough but completely ignoring the death of one of your main characters in a film that ends in a way that assumes you remember and care about the death's of secondary characters (who even died in the same movie as him!) seems really odd. Are people really more invested in Cyclops than Xavier?

Sure, the end of X3 points as to how he could come back, but the end of The Wrath of Khan sets up how Spock is going to come back as well, the following Trek film didn't open with him sitting on the bridge as if nothing had happened because that would be a really weird thing to do with such a major character.

The other was how poorly it followed on from The Wolverine, a movie at least designed in part with the knowledge this was coming after it. It's puzzling why they bothered removing the metal from his claws and having him move on from Jean when the next film ignores the former and brings back the later for no doubt more wacky love triangles due to a woman who can't decide between a plank of wood and Hugh Jackman.

Easily the best X-film yet. Though I realise that's faint praise.

As there's a lot going on in it the blu ray watch may shove my opinion that bit higher, but at the moment I'd say First Class is the better film. Fast and fun and, thanks to his (almost) absence, the only one of the films to actually feel like a proper team movie rather than Wolverine and some other people (though to be fair to DoFP, the bluff at the end where Magneto just casually chucks him away as it looks as if he's going to rush in and save the day was nicely done, but didn't stop the rest of the movie being business as usual).

On a related note, it was slightly annoying they killed almost all (IIRC Havoc was in Vietnam and without being able to rewind there may have been someone missing from the autopsy pics and Magneto's ranty speech, but there's slim pickings there) of the new mutants of the previous film off-screen whilst restoring the Singer status quo. Hopefully that's just down to actor availability rather than a deliberate "**** you" from the returning director.

Mind, from what they've announced so far for the next one, it's going to be 98% "Young X-Men from the first two films" one percent Jackman and one percent Channing Tatum, so maybe Singer just doesn't like many of the other Xers?

Interesting from reading speculation around what bits of the comic might be used for the next one, I've read great chunks of the 80's X-Men but it was a long time ago so any exposure I may have had to Apocalypse has long left my memory. From all this stuff about horsemen (with Wolverine being one of them) I gather Furman must have read this particular arc before coming up with his "Lets give Unicron horsemen of the apocalypse made up out of re-purposed good guys" thing for Energon.

(I've already had the opportunity to lay the pedant-slap on one person who accused it of ripping off Terminator, so everybody wins)

Of course, what it really rips off is Day of the Daleks.

Brendocon 2.0
2014-05-28, 08:47 AM
There's only two that really niggle me, the first being Professor X not being dead not being explained.

No need to. The post-credits scene in The Last Stand covered that.

What it doesn't explain is why he's in a wheelchair again, but we can infer that he just got a hurt again. You'd think people would be more careful with their new bodies.

I think Ratner mumbled something at some point about the body being his twin, which covers why he looks the same. And can even blag why it has an active x-gene that enables his powers to remain after he zapped his consciousness across.

But, and here's the best part - none of that ever happened, so we don't need to worry about it. Yay.

Biggest gripe of all: We've had Ink in an X-Men movie now, but still no Dazzler. It ain't right yo.

Sades
2014-06-01, 05:56 AM
SPOILERTASTIC kinda-sorta. Just a bit.

I know ****-all about the comics but I watched this and I liked it.

Though Wolverine being all emotional that Storm was present near the end there when he wasn't aware of her death in the first place was kind of annoying.