PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #31

zigzagger
2014-06-29, 01:53 PM
Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #31 three-page preview by way of iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id894176748?mt=11).

Denyer
2014-06-29, 02:03 PM
Presumably shanix are non-replicatable currency akin to latinum then.

Which doesn't explain why Autobots don't leverage that resource more in wartime...

Unicron
2014-06-29, 02:11 PM

Which doesn't explain why Autobots don't leverage that resource more in wartime...

Well, they did pay Black Shadow half a billion to destroy a bunch of war worlds, so I'd say they were put to some use

zigzagger
2014-06-29, 02:28 PM
"Don't make me put my foot down" -- Am I reading too much into this, or is that a callback to Pipes' death?

Damn, Roberts, that's cold.

....But, also kind of funny. In a darkly humorous way.

Death's Head
2014-06-29, 06:51 PM

I'd say more like bitcoin, with a block-chain to prevent fraud, rather than a physical currency.

This is surely James's next step, after giving us believable Cybertronian culture, biology and history - their economy!

Denyer
2014-06-29, 08:09 PM
Would be good to see something. The subject's tended to be a gaping void -- although so has Cybertronian culture in most forms -- unless a writer fancies a quick mercenary pay-off type storyline.

Death's Head
2014-06-29, 09:18 PM
Yeah, my bitcoin theory falls down when you recall the large case of gold dubloons coins that Rodimus offered Death's Head in Headhunt...

zigzagger
2014-07-07, 09:33 PM
And here's the 5-page preview, courtesy of Issuu (http://issuu.com/idwpublishing/docs/tf_mtmte_31-pr).

Red Dave Prime
2014-07-08, 11:01 AM
Not loving that art too much. Is ok I guess. Still, out tomorrow so thats a yay!

Blackjack
2014-07-08, 01:35 PM
Someone who thinks Brainstorm is better than Perceptor? HERESY!

Terome
2014-07-09, 01:19 PM
SPOILERS FROM HERE ON

I read this nice and early today. Thought it was great fun - definitely a bottle episode as described. I liked the Nightbeat puzzle-solving dossier structure (and the establishment that Nightbeat likes problems, not people), Tailgate pulling a gun, the Ravage reveal and the character work on Riptide and Nautica. Not quite sure what the point of the Ultra Magnus appearance was other than to establish that Megatron can recognise Verity off the bat.

Puzzling over those spark-type factoids and details such as Huffer being born again, Gears having a tiny brain, Hound being in the Primal Vanguard and Ammo being a monoformer.

As for the last page... now there's a fake-out death if ever I saw one. My guess is that it's a sister ship of the Lost Light.

inflatable dalek
2014-07-09, 08:36 PM
Very Red Dwarf: Quarentine wasn't it? Arguably everyone turned on each other a bit quickly there (Cyclonus has gone two years without someone trying to murder him in his bed, would Huffer really turn on him that quickly?), but it still read very well and had lots and lots of nice moments for everyone.

The main flaw is the British education system stuff was very on the nose, if you're American imagine the Autobots coming across Planet Obamacare. Hopefully them arriving on Planet Offsted won't see that get much worse (especially as, unless I've really misread the demographic, I suspect most of Roberts' British readers are already onside in not liking what the current government is trying to do to schools and universities, could wind up preaching to the choir).

Are the other new arrivals who aren't on the Rod Pod now floating about in space? If whatever is doing this can separate the paint from Pharma's hands whilst leaving the hands behind it should be sensitive enough the grab the ships they're on but not them.

Come to that, shouldn't there have been a lot more stuff-not-from-the-launch left behind when the Lost Light vanished last issue? The fuel if nothing else...

Terome
2014-07-09, 09:27 PM
The main flaw is the British education system stuff was very on the nose, if you're American imagine the Autobots coming across Planet Obamacare. Hopefully them arriving on Planet Offsted won't see that get much worse (especially as, unless I've really misread the demographic, I suspect most of Roberts' British readers are already onside in not liking what the current government is trying to do to schools and universities, could wind up preaching to the choir).

Yeah, had slipped my mind but that was a clunker. Wonder if we'll be seeing more of all that.

So much Red Dwarfy stuff - not just Quarantine but Demons & Angels and the whole premise of Season 6.

Am a bit disappointed that Cyclonus' horn was not left behind.

Oh, and the art: It's functional but not spectacular. The only part that really bugged me was that the roll call was made up of grabs of exisiting art, sometimes scaled up. Maybe since they didn't contribute to the page count, they were unpaid.

zigzagger
2014-07-10, 02:11 AM
Jinkies! A mystery!

And the newbies get a chance to shine. Nautica is starting to grow on me. For the time being, her 'nerd' schtick is endearing. And Nightbeat is a blast. You get the impression he was having the time of his life, in spite of the peril he and his shipmates were/are in. Megatron clearly doesn't share his passion.

Getting a better sense of who Riptide is, but... m'eh. Don't dislike the guy, just isn't doing much for me at the moment. Personality wise, he's still fairly interchangeable to me.

Lots of nifty tidbits of information. Lots. Of the world building kind. The stuff about constructed cold types was particularly fascinating (and Nautica's thought-provoking comment to Megatron about it). As was what's appearing to be leading up to a pretty interesting origin of the Lost Light. Also appreciated those little extra crumbs about crew members who generally don't get much page time, like Hound and such.

Quibbles:

Know what else there was a lot of? Typos. Kind of distracting.

Ah, still dwelling on the Kimia thing, are we? Awww, but Cyclonus has done so much good since then :( Mind, half the time those good deeds have gone unnoticed, which I guess is entirely the point, but, I dunno... It just rubs me the wrong way. Megatron seems like he gets less crap from the crew than Cyclonus does, and the former was recently accused of being responsible for the deaths 4.6 billion Cybertronians.

Rojo art... it didn't distract too much. May not be as dynamic as Milne, but the art serviced the story for the most part. A few off-model characters here and there. Though, ugh, I'm sorry, but Gears and Huffer looked icky.

So, when's Milne coming back?

As for the last page... now there's a fake-out death if ever I saw one. My guess is that it's a sister ship of the Lost Light.

Oh, of course it is. Striking image, though.

Got no theories myself, but there's a fairly impressive one over at TFW 2005 (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-comics-discussion/993548-mtmte-31-discussion-4.html#post11303353).

I'm not a sci-fi buff, so it all sounds plausible to me.

Unicron
2014-07-10, 03:45 AM
Got no theories myself, but there's a fairly impressive one over at TFW 2005 (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-comics-discussion/993548-mtmte-31-discussion-4.html#post11303353).

I'm not a sci-fi buff, so it all sounds plausible to me.
Brilliant theory, seems so very plausible.

zigzagger
2014-07-10, 04:51 AM
Guess now all I need to work out is what happened to the other new-comers, like Bluestreak. Or First Aid for that matter, since he was not part of the initial launch, but joined shortly after.

On an unrelated matter: Nautica's spark is said to be 'estriol-positive'. As in Estriol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estriol)? Heh... seriously?

Death's Head
2014-07-10, 10:46 AM
Enjoyed the issue but I was quite drunk, so it will require a re-read. I'm happy to get confirmation of what I suspected regarding Forged/Constructed Cold Transformers. Art wasn't too much of a problem for me and James continues to use the comic form brilliantly.

Death's Head
2014-07-10, 10:47 AM
Oh, and my favourite line has to be Pipes at the beginning: "Go on, Drift, guess. I bet you can't. I bet you're rubbish."

:D

Terome
2014-07-10, 11:59 AM
That TFW2005 theory does seem eerily plausible. I've quite liked the whimsical Adamsian science regarding the quantum engines. The cod Schrödinger's Cat model of propulsion is inventive and charming.

I think Estriol-positive is kind of cute but it doesn't quite fit amongst the others being mineral-type words.

The made-to-order reveal was Proper Science Fiction.

EDIT: More on made-to-order: I found the fact that guys like Getaway were named after specific campaigns to be kind of horrific. And Megatron's face when it was mentioned - rage? Guilt?

inflatable dalek
2014-07-10, 04:19 PM
That is a very good theory.

Though that basically would be Demons and Angels wouldn't it?

Probably a coincidence, but this issue reminded me of the Deep Space Nine episode The Ship as well (which is pretty good company to be in).

James Roberts is so going to punch me at AA isn't he?

Guess now all I need to work out is what happened to the other new-comers, like Bluestreak. Or First Aid for that matter, since he was not part of the initial launch, but joined shortly after.

The wiki suggests that all the other shuttles were part of the Lost Light's original compliment so when they got sucked off everyone aboard got taken with them regardless of when they joined the quest. I'm not sure about that though due to the aforementioned ability of whatever this is to separate paint from hands, that's uber sensitive stuff (and Cyclonus' horn, that might have been made from bits and bobs that had been aboard the ship the entire time as well).

Plus, I'm not sure the wiki should be speculating on plot points rather than just reporting on them...

Warcry
2014-07-10, 05:17 PM
I've quite liked the whimsical Adamsian science regarding the quantum engines. The cod Schrödinger's Cat model of propulsion is inventive and charming.
I thought it was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen in a Transformers comic. And considering that includes Costa's Spike, Pat Lee's artwork and the Mechanic...

Oh, and my favourite line has to be Pipes at the beginning: "Go on, Drift, guess. I bet you can't. I bet you're rubbish."
I didn't like it, personally. Roberts usually does a good job making his characters sound different but every once it a while somebody lapses into sounding like a character in a generic British sitcom and it takes me right out of it. I'd imagine you Brits aren't bothered by it so much, but people don't talk like that over here so it's nails on a chalkboard to me.

Those two complaints aside aside, I thought this was a great issue!

I've seen a lot of people complain about how Tailgate pulling a gun on Megatron was stupid, but to me that's sort of the point. Tailgate is a kid and he does stupid things, this is perfectly in character for him. And I loved how Daddy Cyclonus got mad at him afterwards for embarrassing him in front of the grownups.

Nightbeat solving the mystery was well-done, even if I'm not too clear on the methodology he was using. I guess that's part of making him a Holmes-esque figure, though?

(I still prefer Marvel's film noir Nightbeat to this one, though.)

Re: Kimia, the Autobots' continued outrage over than loses a bit of steam when guys like Grotusque, who Cyclonus and co. allegedly killed, show up on the Lost Light none the worse for wear. Comics being comics I doubt any of the named characters who died there will stay dead, and it makes it hard to sympathize with their perspective when they're mad about an event that appears to be pretty inconsequential to the readers. In theory hundreds died there, but if none of the casualties matter to us then it's hard to take seriously.

Megatron's characterization was well-done, and I like that he's showing some vulnerabilities as a protagonist that weren't there when he was a villian. It makes sense that some of these things would come out now that he doesn't have the "invincible, universally-feared overlord" mask to hide behind anymore. It's helping him to feel more like a person than a generically evil threat. His recognizing Verity was a nice touch too, since it proves that humans weren't quite the insects to him that he may have let on.

And I agree that he seems to get less flak for being Space Hitler than Cyclonus does for taking part in a single battle, and that it makes no sense. People have openly cheered for Cyclonus's death, but all Megatron warrants is some passive-aggressive grumbling and petty vandalism?

I agree with ziggy re: Nautica. She's a gigantic dork, but in a way that makes her very likeable. I also liked her analysis on Megatron and the war-born Autobots (and presumably Decepticons too). It really makes you wonder...we know how many people died because of him, but how many people did his war bring into the world in the first place?

Riptide is still the genericest generic who ever genericed, in spite of the page time he's gotten. If you asked me to describe him all I'd be able to say is "blue".

Has Ammo appeared before? I didn't recognize him.

The TFW theory seems plausible though, with or without the stupid technobabble that seems to be setting it up. It fits with the idea that Rodimus's corpse only remembered his "glory days", too...IIRC Chromedome didn't get anything from after the Lost Light launched. It would be a very interesting twist, especially if we wound up with multiple versions of a few different characters running around because of it. Can you imagine having two Whirls or Swerves? They'd be insufferable! :D

And (IMO at least) in this case it would actually be a good, dramatically-appropriate excuse to bring characters back from the dead -- one that drives future plotlines instead of being an easy way out of a corner the author wrote himself into for cheap drama.

Of course now that we're talking about it, it'll turn out to be something completely different. :)

inflatable dalek
2014-07-10, 05:53 PM
Hey, lay of the British dialects! We don't moan when Transformers all talk like Americans! ;)

Riptide is still the genericest generic who ever genericed, in spite of the page time he's gotten. If you asked me to describe him all I'd be able to say is "blue".

That actual swerved (ha!) into a different direction from what I was expecting, when Nightbeat casually mentioned Riptide having been there all along I thought we were going for a twist where he was actually a villain who had somehow managed to infiltrate everyone's memories creating a false past for himself on the ship (like that episode of Buffy/Torchwood, delete as appropriate), so the almost instantly offered mundane explanation actually took me by surprise. And is probably a fine example of Reading Too Much Into Things as a potential problem with trying to work out what actually is going on with the book...

[No, I can't recall off the top of my head if which side of the desk Riptide was on in the Crewditions, so it could well never have been a workable theory].

Not really sure what's so bad about how the drive works, it's perfectly in keeping with the whimsical side most of the science in Roberts writing has had, Tyrest's machine was basically silly magic so the ship working in a similar way doesn't bother me.

Unicron
2014-07-10, 06:17 PM
Re: Kimia, the Autobots' continued outrage over than loses a bit of steam when guys like Grotusque, who Cyclonus and co. allegedly killed, show up on the Lost Light none the worse for wear. Comics being comics I doubt any of the named characters who died there will stay dead, and it makes it hard to sympathize with their perspective when they're mad about an event that appears to be pretty inconsequential to the readers. In theory hundreds died there, but if none of the casualties matter to us then it's hard to take seriously.

Megatron's characterization was well-done, and I like that he's showing some vulnerabilities as a protagonist that weren't there when he was a villian. It makes sense that some of these things would come out now that he doesn't have the "invincible, universally-feared overlord" mask to hide behind anymore. It's helping him to feel more like a person than a generically evil threat. His recognizing Verity was a nice touch too, since it proves that humans weren't quite the insects to him that he may have let on.

And I agree that he seems to get less flak for being Space Hitler than Cyclonus does for taking part in a single battle, and that it makes no sense. People have openly cheered for Cyclonus's death, but all Megatron warrants is some passive-aggressive grumbling and petty vandalism?
I think the disparity in how Megatron and Cyclonus are treated over their actions is because the two characters are quite different.

Megatron, while he may be Space Hitler, he's embraced the Autobot 'cause' to whatever extent, rejected the Decepticons, and is apparently seeking redemption. (We're also finding out he's not exactly the larger than life, super evil icon he was when he led the Decepticons.

Cyclonus on the other hand is non-aligned. While he insists he's not a Decepticon, he also hasn't taken up an Autobrand either, which the crew being all Autobots may be slightly resentful of. Pair that up with how he treats his actions at Kimia as a warrior doing his job and not showing any remorse for it... I think the crew and especially those who were at or had friends at Kimia have some right to hold a grudge.

Megatron also has the backing of Optimus and is there to seek out the Knights, which probably has some effect on how he's being accepted. Cyclonus was basically a stowaway who was only there for revenge on Whirl (whether that's known or suspected by the crew is unknown) and got sucked into the crazy hijinks.

inflatable dalek
2014-07-10, 06:25 PM
Megatron is also insanely charismatic, I suspect we're going to be looking at something about the corrupting nature of evil (we've already had a bit of that with Trailbreaker feeling like he's been given a new sense of purpose).

Do we take the Ravage/Megatron conversation (well, and the fact Ravage only revealed himself to protect Megatron, which I wouldn't have expected) to mean Megs knew he was there all along? Considering Ravage's extremely close kinship with Shockwave that does suggest the Earthbound Decepticons might not be as completely pissed off and isolated from Megatron as we've been led to believe...

zigzagger
2014-07-11, 05:18 PM
It would be a very interesting twist, especially if we wound up with multiple versions of a few different characters running around because of it.

Yeah, I'm wondering -- and also worrying -- if there's going be some duplicate character swapping and 'deaths'. Assuming said theory turns out to be true, that is. The fate of the second crew would explain the Necrobot's list, though. Which would feel sort of like a cheat if that's the case.

Expecting there will be one particular heart-wrenching reunion. Most likely temporary, I suspect, and will be undone (cruelly) by the time a solution is found. Poor Chromedome :(

And if said theory is true, there's a chance that there will be Megatron vs Overlord smackdown after all.

Unicron
2014-07-11, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering -- and also worrying -- if there's going be some duplicate character swapping and 'deaths'. Assuming said theory turns out to be true, that is. The fate of the second crew would explain the Necrobot's list, though. Which would feel sort of like a cheat if that's the case.

Assuming this quantum duplicate theory is accurate, then I'm expecting they'll each have 'merged' back in with their other self on the wrecked Lost Light. Likely having the memories of both, which would be an interesting thing. Characters having experienced dying but still being alive, future interactions being influenced by memories of two disparate pasts.

I'm really hoping that's what's going on, because if the Lost Light crew we've been following simply winked out of existence now that we've found the 'real' one, then basically that erases the first season. Not the events of it, but the character development. And Tailgate would most certainly be dead, cybercrosis and all.

And if said theory is true, there's a chance that there will be Megatron vs Overlord smackdown after all.
Going to spoiler this just in case
About 2 weeks ago on Twitter, Milne was talking a little about stuff he was drawing for issue 32. Referring to things as 'sick', it being a 'horror comic', 'gruesome', 'grisly', having drawn dead bots, corpses, how it seemed Roberts had saved some of his sicker ideas from Wreckers for this issue, and so on.
I'm inclined to think Overlord has been stalking the wrecked Lost Light, murdering and torturing the crew. If so, we might be getting that confrontation between him and Megatron soon.

zigzagger
2014-07-11, 10:36 PM
It all seems like it's going that direction, doesn't it? The 'TOP SECRET' alternate covers that I've seen in the upcoming solicitations further supports your theory.

Man, wouldn't that be a dramatic shift in events? This arc just gets darker and darker (or so it seems). More and more, I'm really hoping the quantum duplicate thing turns out to be accurate.

Plus, it confirms Milne is back for the next issue. Nothing against Rojo. His art style suited the less-actiony tone of this issue, but Milne has shown that he can draw up some fairly dramatic robot gore.

Expectations for #32 are pretty high, I must say.

inflatable dalek
2014-07-12, 02:33 PM
I think the big clue as to whether the theory is right will be if the likes of Cosmos and Fizzle suddenly vanish from RID and Windblade between now and the next issue of MTMTE as well, presumably whatever this is will go sweeping up the rest of the original crew no matter where they are.

Blackjack
2014-07-12, 06:01 PM
This improbability drive thing... is it a reference to one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy books? I remembered something about a spacedrive propelled by improbability. Like Warcry I think it's kind of stupid.

It's basically a detective episode and not much gets done here, but a of intrigue is dropped. Not my favourite issue, though. Pacing problems all over the place. Megatron and Nightbeat are fun, and so are Cyclonus and Tailgate... but the rest don't exactly have spectacular scenes. Nautica gets a bit of geekiness here and there, and Riptide is one hell of a generic guy with a backstory that takes up too much space.

Not a big fan of wasting... four? Five? However many pages as a roll call. It's just wasteful in my opinion. Do like the little details given about constructed cold and forged and the racism behind that, though.

I absolutely adore the medical references in the final callsheet, though. Blaster has low-frequency hearing loss, also known as one of the symptoms of noise-induced hearing loss usually found in people who deal with constant loud noise. There's Nautica's spark being Estriol-type, one of the chemicals involved in estrogen metabolism. Swerve has 'logorrhea', which is the posh medical term for the medical disorder of 'cannot shut the hell up'. Dipstick's coprolalia, if I remember correctly, means that he drops curses every second sentence or so.

Hound is a Primal Vanguard? Huh. Highbrow is also a former Institute member.

What's going on with that last page?

What's going on with Ravege Ravage and Megatron?

Ah, the Necrobot. When are we going to follow up on that? We're going to have Hound die first, aren't we?

Anyway, mystery. Good that we've left the buildup behind us. Waiting for payoff.

Death's Head
2014-07-12, 07:09 PM
This improbability drive thing... is it a reference to one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy books? I remembered something about a spacedrive propelled by improbability. Like Warcry I think it's kind of stupid.

James said on Twitter he's never read it...

Not a big fan of wasting... four? Five? However many pages as a roll call

Those were 'free' pages - they didn't add to the usual strip page-count.

Necrobot follow-up would be nice - he's got Institute written all over him!

Blackjack
2014-07-12, 07:18 PM

Huh, hell of a coincidence then...

Those were 'free' pages - they didn't add to the usual strip page-count.

Ah, cool. Didn't notice that, but if those aren't part of the page count then it's nice that they didn't cheat by wasting a good one-fifth of the issue.

Denyer
2014-07-12, 09:28 PM
It's kind of filtered into popular culture over the years, plus HH has appeared in every format from radio shows to towels licensed by Rob Lord.

Hoping to not have some kind of big shake-up in the vein of Infinite Crisis, and having characters at the mercy of technobabble lands on the wrong side of playing around with concepts to my mind. Also, the Tailgate/Cyclonus OTP is feeling a bit forced at this point, and throw in the unvarnished referencing of the UK education system and I wasn't really feeling this issue so much.

Still a lot to like, though.

Blackjack
2014-07-12, 09:44 PM
Hoping to not have some kind of big shake-up in the vein of Infinite Crisis

Oh good lord please no

I'm all up for raising the stakes, but please steer clear of all the Crisis bullshit.

and having characters at the mercy of technobabble lands on the wrong side of playing around with concepts to my mind.

-nod nod-

the Tailgate/Cyclonus OTP is feeling a bit forced at this point

I've never really saw Tailgate and Cyclonus as a romantic pair the way Chromedome and Rewind were. If anything, until very recent 'Cyclonus is jealous' they felt more like an older brother/younger brother thing, or a student-mentor thing, or simply just good friends because they share the same origin in time.

If anything recent issues seem to be enforcing that by having Getaway be this forced secondary love interest for no reason at all.

Still a lot to like, though.

This is my main feeling for almost the entirety of MTMTE's so-called season 2. There's still a lot to like, but a lot of the contents that I don't like so much -- the scenes with Megatron's trial, all the stuff here, the Rodimus fake-out, the fact that Megatron becoming co-captain is handwaved, etc -- kind of soured the experience for me somewhat.

Unicron
2014-07-13, 01:44 AM
I think the big clue as to whether the theory is right will be if the likes of Cosmos and Fizzle suddenly vanish from RID and Windblade between now and the next issue of MTMTE as well, presumably whatever this is will go sweeping up the rest of the original crew no matter where they are.
That assumes there isn't some limit to the range of the effect. Could be that the quantum effect only becomes a thing when in a relatively close proximity. Cosmos and Fizzle may be out of range.
Of course, given that it took until somewhere in Dark Cybertron for the effects of Tyrest's Killswitch to be mentioned by anyone on Cybertron, we may not see any effects in the other two books. Tis quite possible the events of RID and Windblade are occurring before those in MTMTE.

And on the subject of things a follow-up would be nice for, I'm really wondering what became or will become of that point-one-percenter spark Brainstorm harvested back on Luna 1. Especially now that the ship has gone all vanishy.

Warcry
2014-07-13, 03:34 AM
And on the subject of things a follow-up would be nice for, I'm really wondering what became or will become of that point-one-percenter spark Brainstorm harvested back on Luna 1. Especially now that the ship has gone all vanishy.
The text story at the end of Remain in Light seemed to imply that he was carrying it around inside him, didn't it? So it was probably with him aboard whatever shuttle he was on, but from there who knows? I assume that if it is floating in space, they'll pick it up on the way out when they recover First Aid and anyone else who wasn't around to be quantum-teleported away.

Auntie Slag
2014-07-13, 08:59 AM
A couple of things that caught my eye: it was interesting to see Chromedome and Rewind in the background of Iacon's new Religious quarter. Especially when Drift is reminded that the lanterns relate to the Hymn of the Disappeared. This might mean Chromedome and Rewind were busy looking for Dominus Ambus right up until takeoff.

'Lost Light' is also the name of the festival, which refers to the Disappeared. Do Chromedome and Rewind also suspect something about the ship that Drift bought, something about its background that may help them offworld in their search for Dominus? I guess up until this time they only had reason to believe he was on Cybertron somewhere, so to leave Cybertron aboard that ship in particular... maybe they had a serious hunch about it, perhaps knowing more about the ship's background than Drift or Riptide did.

Also, Hoist mentions having a good friend called Scattergun. Scattergun was one of Chromedome's Conjunx Endura before Rewind. Did Hoist know Scattergun at that time? And if so, how come Hoist has never spoken to Chromedome in the entirety of MTMTE?

There was no mention of the story title this time around: 'World, Shut Your Mouth'. Was this accidentally left out?

And doesn't Megatron absolutely hate confinement and needles eh? To the point he pulls a gun on Tailgate! Surely he's had some incredibly nasty run-ins with the Institute in the past.

.... And a quick question from Issue 6; the hostage issue with Max, Rung and Whirl: At the end of that issue Red Alert is drilling into the floor of the ship, and he finds Overlord suspended in the slow cell. The thing is, didn't his drilling split a crack in the slow cell, so the cells properties could leak into the rest of the ship or something? Maybe this was answered somewhere and I missed it, but to me it would appear as if his drilling into the cell would be the same as bursting a bubble.

Rack 'n Ruin
2014-07-13, 11:31 AM
On the subject of Cyclonus/Tailgate/Getaway, I still don't see a romance thing there. I see Cyclonus and Tailgate as a father/son (or maybe big brother/little brother) thing. I think Cyclonus storming out of Swerve's is down to him thinking Getaway is buttering Tailgate up and planning to exploit him in some way. Getaway must have some interesting things going on after his secret service days. Maybe he needs Tailgate for something...

Blackjack
2014-07-13, 12:55 PM
A couple of things that caught my eye: it was interesting to see Chromedome and Rewind in the background of Iacon's new Religious quarter. Especially when Drift is reminded that the lanterns relate to the Hymn of the Disappeared. This might mean Chromedome and Rewind were busy looking for Dominus Ambus right up until takeoff.

Ooh, good catch! I didn't even notice the two were in the background!

Mmm, that puts a bit of a spin because my impression was that Dominus Ambus happened a long, long time ago...

Also, Hoist mentions having a good friend called Scattergun. Scattergun was one of Chromedome's Conjunx Endura before Rewind. Did Hoist know Scattergun at that time? And if so, how come Hoist has never spoken to Chromedome in the entirety of MTMTE?

Another good catch, something I never realized -- thought Scattergun was just a random name tossed out. So Hoist knew Chromedome's now-dead ex... seems like Hoist may play a larger role some time in the future.

.... And a quick question from Issue 6; the hostage issue with Max, Rung and Whirl: At the end of that issue Red Alert is drilling into the floor of the ship, and he finds Overlord suspended in the slow cell. The thing is, didn't his drilling split a crack in the slow cell, so the cells properties could leak into the rest of the ship or something? Maybe this was answered somewhere and I missed it, but to me it would appear as if his drilling into the cell would be the same as bursting a bubble.

Maybe he didn't drill deep enough to crack the slow-cell, but enough to hear Overlord's voice? Don't really know how it would work, TBH. But it raises a pretty interesting question.

Poor Red. He's gotten really shafted, hasn't he? He never really had much of an appearance and was promptly shoved into the fridge after his head blew up and was left behind with Fort Max...

I think Cyclonus storming out of Swerve's is down to him thinking Getaway is buttering Tailgate up and planning to exploit him in some way. Getaway must have some interesting things going on after his secret service days. Maybe he needs Tailgate for something...

True, except Cyclonus had this angry look on his face as he storms out instead of, you know, tearing Getaway's face off. And there is this thing where Getaway asks Tailgate to show him his chin and 'bomp' and something? The entire scene just took me by surprise and while I'm pretty sure Getaway isn't evil or trying to molest Tailgate or whatever it still reads off as jealousy.

And I don't like that.

Terome
2014-07-13, 04:30 PM
Still not quite sure what's going on with Getaway and Tailgate. I'm with Rack 'n Ruin - not seeing it as a romance thing like others are - seems more like he's buttering him up for a con he's got planned and Cyclonus is keeping his distance to precipitate a learning event. Could be wrong.

Really surprised that Roberts doesn't appear to have read the Hitchhiker books. But those ideas are pretty much part of the cultural white noise at this point so they can't be ruled out as an influence.

inflatable dalek
2014-07-13, 07:13 PM
Well, he's not read the book, he said nothing about whether he's seen the TV show/film/radio/towel at some point over the years.

Summerhayes
2014-07-14, 01:15 PM
Ooh, I really like that tfw2005 theory.

As for the issue itself; very, very good. The offsted stuff was a bit cringeworthy and there was at least one typo that bugged me. Overall though it was full of great character stuff and it moved at a really nice pace. I'm even getting on well with Captain Megs.

And yes, the MTO's being named after campaigns and high command rushing to build them was all very horrific.

I think it's time to do a great big reread of MTMTE.

Auntie Slag
2014-07-14, 01:36 PM
The typos are a real annoyance. This sort of thing shouldn't be happening at all.

Denyer
2014-07-14, 05:45 PM
I've probably mentally auto-corrected... er, which typos are these?

Rack 'n Ruin
2014-07-14, 06:45 PM
The wiki lists several. "Ravege" was the most glaring for me.

Summerhayes
2014-07-14, 07:20 PM
The only one I spotted on my first read through was megs saying something like "he" instead of "he's". I think my years on the Internet have desensitised me to them a bit. However, going through the issue with a fine toothed comb, as is necessary with Roberts' work, I see it more.

Blackjack
2014-07-14, 07:43 PM
Ah, but that isn't really Ravage! It's actually his twin brother Ravege! All of the people who call him 'Ravage' are Autobots, after all, and Megatron is only playing along when he spoke it out lout!

Auntie Slag
2014-07-22, 07:57 PM
Another poster on another site (probably at Transfans), suggested the idea that Megatron on board the Lost Light might actually be Nautilator in a Megatron suit!

The reasoning is that Nautilator has a voice identical to Megatron, and yes; Whirl blew his head off doesn't mean he's actually dead (e.g. SnapTrap got a sword through the face, but was fine last issue). Coupled with the fact that Nautilator wasn't seen in last issue's 'Lets get Megatron out of this trial' breakout scene...

I thought it was a really interesting idea. I don't believe it at all, but its a cool spin on that fact about Nautilator.

Unicron
2014-07-22, 08:09 PM
Another poster on another site (probably at Transfans), suggested the idea that Megatron on board the Lost Light might actually be Nautilator in a Megatron suit!
As hilarious of a reveal as that would be, the immediate problem I see with it is space bridge guts.

Auntie Slag
2014-07-22, 08:22 PM
Yeah, and also Nautilator would have to have good knowledge of Megatron's past (thinking about the aversion to needles in particular).

Unicron
2014-07-22, 09:48 PM
The knowledge of Megatron's past is easy enough, and there's some precedent: Rewind's 11.3 second history lesson for Tailgate. Seems plausible that Nautilator could have been supplied with information similarly. That's why the space bridge guts strikes me as the killer of that idea.

Strange things we end up discussing as not too unreasonable theories, aren't they?

Auntie Slag
2014-07-22, 10:16 PM
Certainly, and that's a good part of the fun. I enjoy it when some innocuous detail from issue 2 becomes relevant in the latest story. There's always the risk that can alienate a new reader, but I think Roberts gauges things correctly so that doesn't occur.

And does he really need to be punished for that? Any series once its been going a while doesn't need to constantly pander to the new viewer does it? The X-Files or Battlestar Galactica or... whatever. I only watched a few episodes of Galactica but it felt that, even if I didn't know the machinations of every character, there was enough interesting things going on that I could be occupied with those things without feeling one-step behind the long-time fan.

I think that happens here. You don't have to keep your eye on every little thing, but its fun to do if you like it, and I do enjoy that aspect.

Death's Head
2014-07-22, 10:58 PM
I think in this age of digital issues and frequent comixology discounts* it's not too much to expect that new readers can find some way to catch up. Structuring the storylines into television-like "seasons" also helps matters, providing a jumping-on point for new readers.

Like Auntie Slag says, it's a balancing act, but I think we're on the right side of things for the time being.

*And stuff like the TF wiki, as well.

Auntie Slag
2014-07-31, 11:36 AM
I don't know, all these Comixolgy/Humble bundle discounts and whatnot... I wonder if its just another mechanism to take advantage of pack-rat mentality.

For example, I bought that humble bundle which included all of the Marvel US G1 comics. Have I looked at them? Not really. I know they're there and that seems to be enough.

Now if I had them paper editions it would be a different story, and I don't think that's a skewed point of view from someone whose only ever bought paprt copies before.... it seems lots of people join Steam and pay for humble bundles, amass vast quantities of games and never really play them, but don't want to miss the deal either.

None of this is the suppliers fault of course, it just feels like a new way to prey on an aspect of human habit. Must have everything, appreciate nothing.

I'm just waffling... :yawn:

Red Dave Prime
2014-07-31, 01:18 PM
Yeah but the Humble Bundle thing is very good value if you do $20. You get loads of Marvel stuff, some old IDW stuff, some of the better new stuff, some of the Fall of Cybertron stuff. Even if you only read a quarter of it, you've gotten good value. And its great for me because I like to have a paper and digital version of my comics and I'm not too keen on Comicology (DRM issues) so this is perfect for me.

Although I do get what you say - Went through a phase many years back where I bought hundreds of DVDs to build up a collection but in the end sold off most for a fraction of the cost. Humans tend to like stock piling things, not sure why.

Denyer
2014-07-31, 06:42 PM
Wouldn't mind reading Rage of the Dinobots and FoC, but beyond that the only thing I'd really recommend the pack for (having read what's in it) is the MTMTE taster.

What put me off was realising most of the default split seems to be a purchase from IDW, rather than the material being "donated" (where it'd still serve to attract future customers) and primarily raising money for the charity.

Red Dave Prime
2014-07-31, 08:38 PM
Pardon my silly but what do you mean by that? Is it not all for charity?

Denyer
2014-07-31, 10:27 PM
Nah, you decide how it's split or choose the default, which seems to be 20% --

http://i.imgur.com/CbKDUJ5.png

Blackjack
2014-08-01, 04:33 PM

This needs to happen.

Red Dave Prime
2014-08-01, 10:43 PM
Nah, you decide how it's split or choose the default, which seems to be 20% --

Ah cool. Cheers for the heads up.

Auntie Slag
2014-08-08, 02:13 PM
Has it been explained yet how Sandstorm is present at Megatron’s trial? Wasn’t/Isn’t he deep behind enemy lines? (or at least he was whilst Springer was still conscious). So if Sandstorm is back then he was never the Wrecker who was in disguise with the DJD.

So who does that leave as the DJD member who was affiliated with the Wreckers? Valve is long gone isn’t he? Blocker went bonkers (was reading about it in Blackjack’s write-up of ‘Bullets’) and Rack n’ Ruin are dead, as is Hyperion, soooo…. I’m drawing a blank!

Blackjack
2014-08-08, 02:26 PM
Has it been explained yet how Sandstorm is present at Megatron’s trial? Wasn’t/Isn’t he deep behind enemy lines? (or at least he was whilst Springer was still conscious). So if Sandstorm is back then he was never the Wrecker who was in disguise with the DJD.

Sandstorm is implied to be Agent 113, but he's shown up many times in the Costa and Barber stories... I thought it was too obvious to be Agent 113 anyway.

I think with the war basically over with Chaos Sandstorm basically just came back to the Autobots side? Dunno, I heard from someone who's read the upcoming Punishment digital series that a lot of stuff is told about Sandstorm there but not having read it myself I can't really say for sure.

So who does that leave as the DJD member who was affiliated with the Wreckers? Valve is long gone isn’t he? Blocker went bonkers (was reading about it in Blackjack’s write-up of ‘Bullets’) and Rack n’ Ruin are dead, as is Hyperion, soooo…. I’m drawing a blank!

The bit about Blocker is on deleted scenes, so, so not sure if it's exactly canon.

The prose doesn't make it look like Agent 113 is explicitly a Wrecker, though... just someone who works together with Springer.

Valve hasn't been explicitly said to be dead, which I thought was suspicious. Springer says that Valve was 'dead to them', but never says that he's dead outright. Macabre's bio says about how he succeeded Valve but no mention of his death...

I'm just curious which one of the DJD that Agent 113 is... I don't think it's Tarn because it would be too obvious. Vos ('wear my face' dude) turns into a gun IIRC so he would be ideal to snipe Autobot insignias at a distance and he does look psychotic... but again I think he's too obvious.

That leaves Kaon (electric chair dude with a pet Sparkeater), Tesarus (spining blade chest dude) and Helex (smelting pit dude), all of which hasn't done nothing particularly notable. IIRC Kaon holds the DJD's hit list, and Drift hasn't been hunted down and killed, so Kaon might be an Autobot protecting Drift?

Auntie Slag
2014-08-08, 02:33 PM
Cool, thanks Blackjack. I've never heard of this Punishment digital series before. Digital only, but part of the MTMTE universe? How strange (well... seems strange to me anyway).

You're right it could be Valve, that is if he's changed his mind about hating the Autobots following Pax being indirectly related to the deaths of Springarm and Wheelarch.

If Agent 113 is not explicitly a Wrecker then it could be any Autobot we haven't seen appear in MTMTE or RID, which removes all the fun of guessing. I can't imagine the writer would leave it as wide open as that.

And Sureshot's on board the Lost Light, so who else is a great shot amongst the Autobots? Warpath?

Blackjack
2014-08-08, 03:11 PM
No, no, part of RID. Apparently it takes place on Cybertron between Dark Cybertron and before Optimus Prime leaves for Earth. From a friend who's read it, it supposedly has Sandstorm be in it. I'm pretty sure that it's something more akin to Autocracy or Monstrosity, a digital series that'll probably be collected later on.

If Valve was the double agent, certainly getting angry that Pax and/or Whirl had a hand in the deaths of his brothers might be a plausible enough cover story.

I still think and/or hope that it's an Autobot we've seen before, or at least someone already mentioned before. I did always think Sandstorm was too obvious, being said that he's behind enemy lines in the same breath that Springer was talking about this Secret Agent amongst the DJD.

Sureshot and Pointblank are both in the Lost Light, and IIRC so was Crosshairs (he's talking to Ironfist a couple of times in Bullets so that rules him out). Out of the Targetmasters... we've seen Scoop (who is Wrecker-affiliated actually) and he's definitely not DJD... did we see Landfill or Quickmix? I have a feeling they've shown up but I can't remember.

Warpath I'm not sure if we have seen recently, that might be a good guess. The thing is, they must've been absent all throughout the Costa and RID/MTMTE stories and I'm pretty sure Warpath's shown up once or twice. It could be possible Agent 113 buggered out and was replaced prior to us meeting the DJD but I don't think that would be the case otherwise all the speculation would be shit.

Not sure who else it could be... someone who's shown up in Roberts' flashback stories (Chaos Theory; Shadowplay) seems to be the best bet. Windcharger hasn't shown up for a long time I think, and he could do magnet stuff to move bullets, Glitch and Roller haven't shown up either (and IIRC Dalek or someone was campaigning that Roller is Tarn) and I'm generally drawing blanks on who it could be.

Auntie Slag
2014-08-08, 03:33 PM
Oh yes, Glitch. Both he and Windcharger are notable for never being mentioned again after Shadowplay, which may be a little unusual considering their superpowers. I would bet on it being Glitch simply because he’s more disposable should the need arise.

Roller as Tarn has always ben a possibility considering their similar size and power levels (I think Minimus Ambus refers to Impactor and Roller as being heavyweight Level 9’s or something like that). And although Magnus himself has proven that size isn’t necessarily a factor, Magnus may be the exception to the general rule, being a load-bearer (and I guess all the other Magni were similarly so).

So yes, Tarn could still be Roller. I really wouldn’t mind if that were the case, because it’d be perhaps the most interesting to see someone as devoted to Pax as Roller was, and what they (the Senate/Institute) did to turn him into the leader of the worst Decepticon unit ever.

Blackjack
2014-08-08, 03:46 PM
Windcharger apparently appeared in the background several times in the Costa stories, but never really did anything... maybe it's his twin brother Windrunner? He hasn't really been anywhere other than Shadowplay, though.

Yeh, I think Roller was hinted to be super-powerful... was he a point-one-percenter or something? Or was he a load bearer? I can't remember.

Whatever they did to Roller I hope it wasn't Shadowplay or we'll have some 'ROLLER THE REAL YOU IS IN THERE' which we already did with Shockwave and it was a real groan-worthy moment. I hope it's a real philosophical change for... whatever reason. We've got Decepticon defecting to the Autobots but we never really got any Autobots that was so disenchanted with the cause that they defected.

Auntie Slag
2014-08-08, 04:11 PM
Quite, hopefully none of that schmaltz, especially with Prime/Pax not being part of the MTMTE scene… but then Ratchet is around so the Doc could be the one to talk to Tarn. What other evidence/suggestion is there that Tarn is Roller? I think Roller was softly spoken, so he shares that, and yes I think you’re right in that Roller and Impactor were also considered point-one percenters (as opposed to load bearers),

Shadowplay would be overplaying it as far as Roller is concerned, but it is also the most appropriate thing to do to someone as apparently noble as Roller. But yeah, if he chose to move over to the dark side for his own reasons, that would be very cool, especially if it was for reasons that Ratchet couldn’t argue with, or Roller did it to preserve the safety of key characters we’ve always assumed were tough and invulnerable by themselves e.g. Pax, Impactor.

Again, that's simply a riff on what Megatron did to Whirl, but manipulation is always interesting to read.

Unicron
2014-08-08, 04:59 PM
Impactor being mentioned as point-one percenter has been confirmed to be an error and was fixed in the trade (mention of him was replaced with Grimlock). I think they had to fix that because of the 'everyone in the Aequitas trials was constructed cold' thing and as far as we know cold constructed bots can't be point-one percenters. And yes, Roller was listed as Heavyweight class, which implies some enhanced level of size/strength.

As for Agent 113, I always assumed the DJD had a support staff. People that ran their base, maintained their ship, etc. There had been mentions of DJD raids on the Nucleon mines near Delphi, and if the 5 main DJD guys were the raiders, there wouldn't be any Autobots left at said mines. Going of that assumption, I figured the agent was one of the troops under the DJD umbrella, probably someone like Punch/Counterpunch, who has yet to show up in IDW.

Blackjack
2014-08-08, 05:10 PM
Agent 113 did say that a DJD squad sent to Garrus-9 never came back, so having a support staff certainly makes sense.

Punch would be awesome!

Auntie Slag
2014-08-08, 05:12 PM
That’s an interesting point. I hadn’t considered there were any further members of the DJD other than the principal five. The thing is that they’re all so vicious and tough that they could destroy Black Shadow when countless others couldn’t, and they managed it with zero casualties amongst themselves, not even a scratch by all accounts, so I’m sure the Autobots at the Delphi mines wouldn’t even have stood a chance against two of them!

I wonder if suddenly showing the DJD to have a subset of support troops/admin staff may come off as a weak reveal? As in, oh yes, it can be revealed that Agent 113 was one of the DJD’s financial staff. I could imagine the readership getting a little peeved at that.

[EDIT] No longer weak, as Blackjack has just supplied evidence of support staff/separate team in his post above this one. Ok, that doesn't seem like a cheap get-out move now.

Ok, so Impactor is not a point-one percenter, and you can’t cold construct a point-one percenter either; that implies Brainstorm has other ideas for the spark he lifted from Luna 1 (and also whether that was indeed a point-one percenter spark he harvested, when those two robots working for Momus died after finding that one 4.2 million years ago. I guess that could be easily explained by saying the spark Brainstorm was interested in was already exposed and its killing light-essence had burned off long before Brainstorm got to it).

God dammit, its this kind of banter that makes me itch for the next issue. I’d stopped thinking about MTMTE for weeks until today!

Blackjack
2014-08-08, 06:29 PM
But yeah, if he chose to move over to the dark side for his own reasons, that would be very cool, especially if it was for reasons that Ratchet couldn’t argue with, or Roller did it to preserve the safety of key characters we’ve always assumed were tough and invulnerable by themselves e.g. Pax, Impactor.

Would really love for him to move to the dark side for his own reasons certainly. That's what made Pharma such a compelling villain in his original arc, that he's just this Autobot gone psycho... or Skyfall as something that I recently read, as just this self-centered shit that wants all the glory for himself... even Tyrest was interesting as a villain concept although the way that arc ended didn't completely agree with me.

See, while a villain that redeems himself in the end could be done well -- Marvel Scorponok is the prime example in my head, but also IDW's Snare -- but doing another Shadowplay, which would be blindingly obvious as well as retreading the Shockwave bit, in my opinion, would just be lazy writing.

Impactor being mentioned as point-one percenter has been confirmed to be an error and was fixed in the trade (mention of him was replaced with Grimlock).

-looks at the trade-

Yeah, that was Grimlock mentioned there. Makes sense about the Aequitas thing, certainly... so Impactor's constructed cold then?

Ironfist was also constructed cold in LSOTW's comic. Back then none of us even gave those two words a second glance. God damn it Roberts how long have you been planning this out? LSOTW was four freaking years ago!

I wonder if suddenly showing the DJD to have a subset of support troops/admin staff may come off as a weak reveal? As in, oh yes, it can be revealed that Agent 113 was one of the DJD’s financial staff. I could imagine the readership getting a little peeved at that.

I would certainly be pissed -- after the reveal that these five psychopaths are part of the DJD and judging by the buildup it would completely make sense that whatever double agent would be within them from a storytelling point of view, otherwise when we suddenly go 'oh, right, the double-cover agent was this dude that Kaon replaced five months ago' or 'there's a second group, and this dude Polyhex is our man' or a scout or something.

The way Agent 113 phrased his message to Springer (though it was Springer remembering what was said) in Bullets was that they sent a scouting team and they didn't come back or something along those lines, so it's implied that he's among the DJD itself.

On the other hand, Dogfight, Backstreet, Dodger and one other random did manage to return back safely to Delphi after a shootout with the DJD!

On the other, other hand, the DJD are psychopaths who hunt down their own kind, so they might not be really interested in hunting down Autobots? Plus whoever Agent 113 is, he might've had the power to pull them back after wounding a couple of Dogfight's patrol. Which seems to imply Tarn, being the leader, or Kaon with the list. Or Vos, being the one that Tarn listens to.

(I'm actually leaning towards Helex and Tesaurs, those two big dudes, mostly because they're so identikit and no one gives a shit about them.)

(My old theory was that Senator X was Agent 113 and/or Tarn, but he ended up Shockwave)

Ok, so Impactor is not a point-one percenter, and you can’t cold construct a point-one percenter either; that implies Brainstorm has other ideas for the spark he lifted from Luna 1 (and also whether that was indeed a point-one percenter spark he harvested, when those two robots working for Momus died after finding that one 4.2 million years ago. I guess that could be easily explained by saying the spark Brainstorm was interested in was already exposed and its killing light-essence had burned off long before Brainstorm got to it).

Brainstorm is a zombie, though, as Dark Cybertron has established. That was why the Sparkeater ignored him, and that's probably why the killing light thing didn't affect him...

That's what pisses me off so much about Dark Cybertron, really. You can and should ignore nearly all of it, but the confrontation between Chromedome and Prowl, and a bunch of revelations regarding Brainstorm, happened there so you can't fully ignore it.

Though I highly suspect that the killing light from the point one percenter spark is highly exaggerated, a la the Shimmer. After all, the hot spot lighted up in response to Hot Rod's feet, and everyone was around so they would've been exposed.

Then again, there's still the whole thing with the bloody suitcase, and if his explanation to Ironfist is even half-correct... didn't it get opened by a mysterious person in one of the text stories? The one after the Tyrest arc?

Freakin' Brainstorm did say anyone who peeks into the briefcase will see something they expect the least and then die. Maybe it's another point-one percenter spark? Maybe Brainstorm is trying to make an army? IIRC he had schematics of Fortress Maximus' city sneaked into the artwork of his lab or something.

God dammit, its this kind of banter that makes me itch for the next issue. I’d stopped thinking about MTMTE for weeks until today!

I am to blame!

Though I highly doubt any of these questions will be addressed next issue.

When is it coming out?

Unicron
2014-08-08, 06:49 PM
Then again, there's still the whole thing with the bloody suitcase, and if his explanation to Ironfist is even half-correct... didn't it get opened by a mysterious person in one of the text stories? The one after the Tyrest arc?

Wasn't confirmed open, just suspected, since the handcuff chain was shot and the case got separated from him.

As for the Impactor Point-One Percenter error, according to the Wiki, Roberts confirmed it was a mistake in an interview.
Check the last bullet point in the notes (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Impactor_(G1)#Notes).

Next issue it apparently next week.

Blackjack
2014-08-08, 08:35 PM
Wasn't confirmed open, just suspected, since the handcuff chain was shot and the case got separated from him.

As for the Impactor Point-One Percenter error, according to the Wiki, Roberts confirmed it was a mistake in an interview.
Check the last bullet point in the notes (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Impactor_(G1)#Notes).

Next issue it apparently next week.

Yeah, have the trade in front of me -- Ultra Magnus is a point one percenter but not a heavyweight like Grimlock and Roller it says. And it fits... Mags has a green spark, and Grimlock is forged.

Also yeah, Brainstorm suspects its been tampered with, and "looks" like it's been opened. Freaking zombies and their briefcases...

Cyclonus was the one apparently exposed to the green spark first, being the one to point it out to others... which throws my zombie Brainstorm immunity theory out the window. Also Brainstorm doesn't have another green spark in that briefcase -- his dialogue implies if he does put the point one percenter spark in it would be awesome though.

Cyclonus isn't dead yet and isn't listed in the Necrobot's list (which IMO is a rather silly literature device... though we'll see if Roberts can make it awesome) so it appears whatever the green spark's killer aura is... it's more than meets the eye. (Ba dum tss)

Unicron
2014-08-08, 09:03 PM
It's possible the 'first flash' of a point-one percenter spark is a non-issue in this case, because we don't know how close everyone was to it at the moment the field lit up. Pretty sure Rodimus was the first to touch ground and there could have been a fair bit of distance to the spark. Also, the death effect may only mattered in Overlord's spark's case because it was suddenly uncovered. Plus there's the fact we don't know for certain that those two bots died, we just have 3 of 12s word that they'd die.

Summerhayes
2014-08-09, 08:29 AM
The first flash in issue 14 was from the spark being mined, so presumably it was when it was unearthed. The sparks on Luna 1 weren't underground so presumably didn't have a flash?

Death's Head
2014-08-09, 11:49 AM
I'm still going with Vos for Agent 113 - he can remove his face, he speaks an unintelligible dialect (both excellent ways to maintain cover) and he turns into a rifle - perfect for shooting messages into insignias.

Plus, we know now that this is at least the second robot to bear the name Vos...

Auntie Slag
2014-08-13, 11:38 AM
I was just listening to a podcast at the Underbase, and now I'm all intrigued again about Pious Maximus, his detention at the Institute and experience in the Nightmare Engine and the crashed P-6 Worldsweeper containing malformed, aborted protoforms, bleeding rooms coated in skin, disembodied brain modules, a strange kind of wooden robot, and a stasis pod containing Grimlock.

That must surely be another Shockwave-centric story on its way!

Auntie Slag
2014-08-13, 11:55 AM
Have we also gone though the notion that Skids and Tarn (and possibly Magnus) have met in the past? On account of the fact that Skids has music playing in his head, which is also Magnus' favourite tune (and Magnus is a big music lover), and Tarn's use of music, which even though I don't think its been confirmed, may well also be the Empyrean suite?

Also, Skids used to have a tattoo of the Matrix on his face (Shadowplay), I don't think it was ever explained as to why he removed it.

But I guess all these things are tying in to the Institute. Chromedome read Skid's memories and didn't want to tell Skids what he saw, which may suggest that what he saw could implicate Chromedome himself in some way (having worked for the New and Old Institute).

Also also, Chromedome wanted to commit suicide in the past. He went to a Relinquishment clinic, was sitting alongside a few Decepticons who were there to do the same. But we never found out why he had resorted to that in the first place. Was it because he was sick of the atrocities he had carried out on behalf of the Old Institute? I'm a bit confused because I didn't think he had even started working for them at that point.

Terome
2014-08-13, 11:56 AM
Oh boy does Pious Maximus have things to tell us.

Auntie Slag
2014-08-13, 12:07 PM
Its quite cool eh? No-one ever said the Nightmare Engine was destroyed. Ferak (I looked this up on the TF Wiki) designed the Engine, and he was murdered by Impactor along with the rest of Squadron X on Pova.

In MTMTE world; the Autobots are every bit as sneaky as the Decepitcons. What's to say they didn't grab the Nightmare Engine for their labs to find out how it worked, and how they can use it on others. And if not the Autobots, then how about the New Institute took the engine into their custody?

And have they explained what the difference is between the Old and New Institute(s)?

And was it a very conscious decision that Pious Maximus should resemble Fortress Maximus? I'm sure we've talked about this before, what with there being a Delta Magnus... Prime, Magnus and Maximus may be monikers of position as opposed to just names.

It seems that Pious Maximus is rather the opposite of the war-born Fort Max in terms of personality. I can't remember if Max was forged or constructed cold. Does the term 'Warborn' suggest he was constructed cold, or is it simply a reference to the fact that he came online during the great war?

But then, Ammo said in Issue 31 that he and others were all constructed in response to Megatron's war, so they may also be referred to as Warborn, hence Fort Max being constructed cold. Pious, it could be inferred, was forged because he was around pre-war, and assuming there was no slowdown in spark harvests pre-war.

Auntie Slag
2014-08-13, 12:20 PM
A bit more, and I know I'm sounding rabid now but I've got thoughts popping in...

Doesn't it make brilliant sense for Chromedome to be best buddies with Rewind? In terms of backstory, Chromedome forms passionate relationships. This provides a good cover, and a good skill, enabling him to get up close with Rewind. And Rewind is the walking, talking database account of Cybertron's past. Chromedome has done deplorable things in that past, things that led him to a Relinquishment clinic to opt for suicide.

Is it possible that, aboard the Lost Light, Chromedome is surrounded by people that he has performed various levels of mnemonic readings/Shadowplay/lobotomisations on?

If he's best buddies with Rewind, who may have information that could point the finger to Chromedome in a lot of these cases, it makes sense to have the Conjunx Endura relationship with him, and to make up a cover story about him too ("He's allergic to ultra-violet light").

Is it possible to be allergic to such a thing? If Ratchet were to find three spots on the back of Rewind's neck, that may be evidence that Chromedome will manipulate anyone to keep his own past a secret. And show that the Institute is just as careful about keeping an eye on the Autobots as it is the Decepticons.

Megatron is scared of needles, and he has to be scared for a reason. He was probably captured for a reason, and manipulated into starting the war. The thing about Whirl starting it could be a red herring. I was listening to a programme about Steve Biko last week, who was a South African anti-apartheid speaker (Pious Maximus kind of does the same, rallying against the Ratioists). When Biko was imprisoned, he was beaten, a la Megatron, but died in the cell from his injuries.

But if Biko had got out of that situation alive, whose to say he would have retaliated violently? If anything doesn't it make an activist more committed to non-violence?

So in terms of Megatron, maybe he was manipulated... by Chromedome, into starting the war. What else would make Chromedome consider suicide? Chromedome erased his own memories upon losing previous Conjunx Endura, but with Megatron he's kicked off a civil war. Maybe prior to the realisation that he could inject himself, he saw no option for his own evil doings other than suicide?

So perhaps Whirl was one method to goad Megatron, and definitely a blunt instrument (I say blunt because I remember how shocked Megatron was with himself when he beat Senator Decimus' guard to death at the beginning of Megatron: Origin. Yes, he has the power, but he was horrified by it too). So if that didn't work, the Institute would resort to Plan B and use Chromedome.

Maybe the senate thought civil war would form a good framework to carry out further depraved mutilations and tests without too much hassle. Things that would force them to remain secretive, but also entrench their position as the real rulers of Cybertron.
Its often said all the biggest technological/medical etc advances come from research carried out in times of war.

Maybe.

I've also got a feeling that Chromedome knows exactly where Dominus Ambus is.

Rewind getting caught in a cell with Overlord could be the best thing that's ever happened to Rewind. If he's survived getting blown up, and it kinda, sorta looks like Overlord has, then what can Chromedome do other than be forced to... shadowplay or murder Rewind himself?

Overlord is a sick & twisted puppy, if he attempted some amateur injecting on Rewind and found the three spots already there, wouldn't that fill him with utter glee? And, following a bit of rooting around in Rewind's memories, wouldn't it further help Overlord in his attempts to ultimately finding Megatron's weak spot (which could be tied to the Institute, and make Chromedome the most valuable thing in the universe to Overlord?).

Auntie Slag
2014-08-13, 03:09 PM
One additional thing: we were talking earlier about whether the DJD have support staff, caterers, cleaners, biographers etc. Well I found this quote from James Roberts. You can read the full Q&A that I cribbed it from here (http://boards.idwpublishing.com/3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12651&start=15).

"At the moment there are only five members of the DJD. In the past there may have been more. The way it works now, when a member of the DJD dies they’re (sooner or later) replaced by someone who takes on the same name. A deceased DJD member looked remarkably similar to Crosscut. Trust me".

One little caveat; he did say this back in September 2012, so I'm sure its fair enough if he's since changed his mind.

Auntie Slag
2014-08-13, 03:29 PM
A fan posed the question:

When was DJD founded, and is any mech alive from the starting five? Will we see a flashback of any former members?

And James' response:

First question: a LONG time ago. Second question: not telling you. Third question: most probably.

AAAAAARRRRGH!

... And what was the job that Black Shadow did for the Autobots that led to him getting killed by the DJD?

DOUBLE ARRRRRRRRGH!

And:

Have we seen Autobot deep-cover Agent 113 in the comic yet?

James' response:

It depends how hard you’ve looked…

*eats table*

Rack 'n Ruin
2014-08-13, 04:29 PM
A bit more, and I know I'm sounding rabid now but I've got thoughts popping in...

Doesn't it make brilliant sense for Chromedome to be best buddies with Rewind? In terms of backstory, Chromedome forms passionate relationships. This provides a good cover, and a good skill, enabling him to get up close with Rewind. And Rewind is the walking, talking database account of Cybertron's past. Chromedome has done deplorable things in that past, things that led him to a Relinquishment clinic to opt for suicide.

Is it possible that, aboard the Lost Light, Chromedome is surrounded by people that he has performed various levels of mnemonic readings/Shadowplay/lobotomisations on?

If he's best buddies with Rewind, who may have information that could point the finger to Chromedome in a lot of these cases, it makes sense to have the Conjunx Endura relationship with him, and to make up a cover story about him too ("He's allergic to ultra-violet light").

Is it possible to be allergic to such a thing? If Ratchet were to find three spots on the back of Rewind's neck, that may be evidence that Chromedome will manipulate anyone to keep his own past a secret. And show that the Institute is just as careful about keeping an eye on the Autobots as it is the Decepticons.

Megatron is scared of needles, and he has to be scared for a reason. He was probably captured for a reason, and manipulated into starting the war. The thing about Whirl starting it could be a red herring. I was listening to a programme about Steve Biko last week, who was a South African anti-apartheid speaker (Pious Maximus kind of does the same, rallying against the Ratioists). When Biko was imprisoned, he was beaten, a la Megatron, but died in the cell from his injuries.

But if Biko had got out of that situation alive, whose to say he would have retaliated violently? If anything doesn't it make an activist more committed to non-violence?

So in terms of Megatron, maybe he was manipulated... by Chromedome, into starting the war. What else would make Chromedome consider suicide? Chromedome erased his own memories upon losing previous Conjunx Endura, but with Megatron he's kicked off a civil war. Maybe prior to the realisation that he could inject himself, he saw no option for his own evil doings other than suicide?

So perhaps Whirl was one method to goad Megatron, and definitely a blunt instrument (I say blunt because I remember how shocked Megatron was with himself when he beat Senator Decimus' guard to death at the beginning of Megatron: Origin. Yes, he has the power, but he was horrified by it too). So if that didn't work, the Institute would resort to Plan B and use Chromedome.

Maybe the senate thought civil war would form a good framework to carry out further depraved mutilations and tests without too much hassle. Things that would force them to remain secretive, but also entrench their position as the real rulers of Cybertron.
Its often said all the biggest technological/medical etc advances come from research carried out in times of war.

Maybe.

I've also got a feeling that Chromedome knows exactly where Dominus Ambus is.

Rewind getting caught in a cell with Overlord could be the best thing that's ever happened to Rewind. If he's survived getting blown up, and it kinda, sorta looks like Overlord has, then what can Chromedome do other than be forced to... shadowplay or murder Rewind himself?

Overlord is a sick & twisted puppy, if he attempted some amateur injecting on Rewind and found the three spots already there, wouldn't that fill him with utter glee? And, following a bit of rooting around in Rewind's memories, wouldn't it further help Overlord in his attempts to ultimately finding Megatron's weak spot (which could be tied to the Institute, and make Chromedome the most valuable thing in the universe to Overlord?).

Oh my. I like this idea. A lot. :)

Unicron
2014-08-13, 04:30 PM
I was just listening to a podcast at the Underbase, and now I'm all intrigued again about Pious Maximus, his detention at the Institute and experience in the Nightmare Engine and the crashed P-6 Worldsweeper containing malformed, aborted protoforms, bleeding rooms coated in skin, disembodied brain modules, a strange kind of wooden robot, and a stasis pod containing Grimlock.

That must surely be another Shockwave-centric story on its way!

My thinking on Pious has been that he IS Fortress Maximus. He was held at the Institue, somehow apparently got out and was involved in the whole Nightmare Engine incident. What if he went mad from all that and the Autobots decided they needed to 'fix' him and keep a strong bot around (Fort Max may be a point-one percenter, or about as strong as one)? Little bit of shadowplay later and we have Fortress Maximus. You did describe Pious as having the opposite personality of Fortress, and Shockwave underwent a 'personality inversion' so...
Only existing info I can think of that might shoot it down is chronology: Did Simanzi happen before or after the Nightmare Engine? I don't think we know that yet.

As for the owner of the symbol ship, the obvious guess is Shockwave, yes. But what other Decepticon do we know of that is into weird science, organics, and has some enmity with Grimlock? I think it's Scorponok's.

And the Black Shadow thing was blowing up a fleet of Warworlds. Pretty sure it's right in Tarn's narration.

Warcry
2014-08-13, 05:41 PM
Agreed that Scorponok would be a logical owner for the symbol ship. He's not only one of the few remaining 'Cons with a history of mad science, he's also got a history of experimenting with organics.

So in terms of Megatron, maybe he was manipulated... by Chromedome, into starting the war. What else would make Chromedome consider suicide?
Considering how many significant others who've died on him over the years, I figured he was contemplating suicide because of someone he'd lost (and subsequently made himself forget).

Auntie Slag
2014-08-13, 06:02 PM
My thinking on Pious has been that he IS Fortress Maximus. He was held at the Institue, somehow apparently got out and was involved in the whole Nightmare Engine incident. What if he went mad from all that and the Autobots decided they needed to 'fix' him and keep a strong bot around (Fort Max may be a point-one percenter, or about as strong as one)? Little bit of shadowplay later and we have Fortress Maximus. You did describe Pious as having the opposite personality of Fortress, and Shockwave underwent a 'personality inversion' so...

When I was reading the Wiki today, it sounded almost as if Pious was allowed to walk out of the Institute with his opinions changed (thanks to a bit of Shadowplay) and that he was now advocating Ratioism, war, killing and stuff. That does sound a little bit more Fort Max style I agree.

When you say the Autobots needed to fix him to keep a strong bot around, it makes me wonder what the level of crossover is between the Institute, the Autobots and Decepticons. I guess you could draw it like a Venn diagram. Chromedome for example; is he more Institute than Autobot? ... And Skids, and Red?

Its really intriguing, how many of them even know whether what they doing is being tracked and recorded by unseen Institute eyes, how many of their decisions are really their own.

I totally forgot about Scorponok and his scientific tests. Its maddening though, why would the Worldsweeper crash and then seemingly be abandoned on planet Clemency with all its freakish experiments on board?

Unless a freakish experiment got loose?

[Edit] I thought Shockwave owned the symbol ship because he took Grimlock off of Garrus-9. This occurred in LSotW when Overlord let Shockwave leave in exchange for removing the Achilles virus.

Denyer
2014-08-13, 06:13 PM
Megatron is scared of needles, and he has to be scared for a reason. He was probably captured for a reason, and manipulated into starting the war.
That gets interesting... Megatron absolved of the war because he was tampered with rather than hair-splitting. The same could already be said of Shockwave, a created menace rather than outright evil.

Auntie Slag
2014-08-13, 06:18 PM
Ok, one more thing and i'll shut up!

It could be assumed that Chromedome said "I love you" when he was staring through the Slow Cell's glass window at the trapped Rewind. But again, that's the safe thing to assume (which is what I've always assumed).

What if he was trying to get a message through, something coded that tells Rewind he should self-destruct or something rather than spend another moment alive in that cell, because Chromedome was worried sick about all the data that Rewind has stored in his head? And realistically Rewind must have something for that, should he ever fall into enemy hands.

So an alert that would tell Rewind to do that, and something like a code-word between them that wouldn't arouse the suspicions of Fort Max standing behind him. Something brief that would fit in that small speech bubble. Like "Erase" or "Encrypt".

Which is what you'd do to destroy or protect the contents of a memory stick.

Unicron
2014-08-13, 06:57 PM
When I was reading the Wiki today, it sounded almost as if Pious was allowed to walk out of the Institute with his opinions changed (thanks to a bit of Shadowplay) and that he was now advocating Ratioism, war, killing and stuff. That does sound a little bit more Fort Max style I agree.

When you say the Autobots needed to fix him to keep a strong bot around, it makes me wonder what the level of crossover is between the Institute, the Autobots and Decepticons. I guess you could draw it like a Venn diagram. Chromedome for example; is he more Institute than Autobot? ... And Skids, and Red?

Its really intriguing, how many of them even know whether what they doing is being tracked and recorded by unseen Institute eyes, how many of their decisions are really their own.

I totally forgot about Scorponok and his scientific tests. Its maddening though, why would the Worldsweeper crash and then seemingly be abandoned on planet Clemency with all its freakish experiments on board?

Unless a freakish experiment got loose?

[Edit] I thought Shockwave owned the symbol ship because he took Grimlock off of Garrus-9. This occurred in LSotW when Overlord let Shockwave leave in exchange for removing the Achilles virus.
I don't think there's anything indicating Pious just walked out of the Institute changed and war-like. All we know is he was anti-Ratioism, disappeared mysteriously, sometime later recordings showed up of him denouncing his belief in the Knights, him being in a cell in the Institute Prowl and Chromedome discovered, and him somehow being involved in the Nightmare Engine business. Any gap filling is supposition.

It's all theory, but given the design similarity between Pious and Fort, the Maximus name (which is probably a House like Ambus), the time gap between the two being forged (which probably precludes the possibility of them being spark-brothers), and no indications they were both online at the same time, it's not unreasonable to think they're the same person.
As for the 'fixing him' bit, I figure that Pious previous Institute visit paired with whatever went on with the Nightmare Engine (Magnus' line was something like 'save Pious Maximus from himself') may have broken his mind. Rather than lock him up or kill him, do some Shadowplay, clean slate him and here's 'warborn' Fortress Maximus fresh out the box. If I'm right about it, and Fort Max is indeed a point-one percenter, then that would mean Pious was, which would be a pretty good reason to want to keep him active.

The ship crashed because the organic walls bled into the fuel supply, or so the Scavengers determined. It's possible the owner just bailed in an escape pod when the ship started going down and hasn't been able to get back to Clemency to reclaim things.

There's no direct indication that Shockwave took Grimlock with him when Overlord let him leave, that's just a guess based on it being a mad-science ship with Grimlock in storage. I can't see why Shockwave would take Grimlock with him though. He has no vendetta with him, having that strong a prisoner would be a risk, especially if he was driven crazy like Snare thought.
I suppose Scorponok may have been one of Shockwave's hand-picked crew, requested Grimlock be brought along, and took the ship for his own after Shockwave linked back up with the main Decepticon force. That or he had some information or skill that may have been of use to Overlord and was given a deal similar to Shockwave's.

Oh the fun of speculation and wild theorizing. I think it says something that Roberts' work causes this while RiD just makes us go 'oh great, Prowl might be evil. again'.

Blackjack
2014-08-13, 09:16 PM
Holy shit, just one day spawned two pages' worth of new discussion.

I'll have to slowly read through them and probably have my mind blown away!

Auntie Slag
2014-08-13, 10:32 PM
Yes, its brilliant fun! And its good because you refer to the exact scenes and know the source material inside out (I’d say!) I tend to forget key bits and go off on the odd wild tangent which is easily resolved or corrected by your knowledge, for example; I made the assumption that Shockwave took Grimlock with him upon leaving Garrus-9 when there is no solid evidence of that at all.

Also, you keep an eye on timeframes and time lines. So here’s one for you. I’ve got an idea and you’ll probably be able to see whether it stands any chance of being true:

I reckon Rewind had no chance of ever finding Dominus Ambus, because he’d already found him. Chromedome is Dominus Ambus in disguise.

The reason I think this is because Dominus paid special attention to Rewind, perhaps for more than just being an equal, for his data storage abilities. Dominus was famous on Cybertron, upon his return from searching for Luna 1 he would have been a major star, and maybe high up on the Senate’s list of important people. He disappeared soon after landing.

For a world full of robots in disguise, I think he chose a real disguise and underwent a body-swap in order to move around free of the Institute, the Senate or any warring factions. As Tumbler he could assume a new role and hope to find his way back to Rewind.

Because Rewind must be so incredibly valuable to any Cybertronian, Dominus could remain close to Rewind (his prize storage device and Conjunx Endura) under the guise of Tumbler/Chromedome, and remain free to walk pretty much anywhere on the planet. Anyone who reaches such a level of notoriety as Dominus would be so restricted in their movements otherwise, so a body swap may make sense.

Dominus was also a genius. Chromedome has an ability way above his peers in Mnemosurgery in that he hasn’t died young doing so. With Rewind and Chromedome searching the planet/the galaxy in search of Ambus they are even more free to search anywhere without suspicion, perhaps because most people for whatever reason think Rewind may not be very important without Dominus.

Was Chromedome really at the Relinquishment clinic to commit suicide? We only have his own word for that, maybe he was second-guessing where he could expect to find Rewind?

I've got a feeling I'm wrong, and that's fine, I've been wrong so many times already, I could imagine Roberts rolling his eyes at some fof this stuff, as in; "You're sooooo far off the beaten track with this one". However, I don't mind.

It's still great to speculate, still fun.

Unicron
2014-08-13, 10:36 PM
I reckon Rewind had no chance of ever finding Dominus Ambus, because he’d already found him. Chromedome is Dominus Ambus in disguise.
Don't even need a time frame for that one. Chromedome is constructed cold, Dominus Ambus would be forged (spark-brother of Minimus, and all that).

And for the record, I wouldn't say I'm overly knowledgeable. I just remember things, dig out the source material from time to time, and mostly just reference the wiki. Handy thing that.

EDIT: Additional Chromedome/Ambus debunking: Timing. Ambus and Rewind were offworld when the war started, came back to find it underway, and autobranded shortly after landing. So it's a safe bet Dominus and Rewind were off planet during the events of Shadowplay.
Used that one to shootdown 'Dominus is Soundwave' once.

Auntie Slag
2014-08-13, 10:45 PM
Ha ha, oh well. That's probably a good sign for me to give up for the night. I thought I was on to something there.

If nothing else I've still got a hunch Chromedome didn't say "I love you", whilst on the outside of the Slow Cell door. Just because in some relationships one person is more in love than the other.

I don't doubt Chromedome loved Rewind, but I think he was as interested in Rewind's storage skills, whereas Rewind was fully into Chromedome.

Unicron
2014-08-13, 10:53 PM
Ha ha, oh well. That's probably a good sign for me to give up for the night. I thought I was on to something there.

If nothing else I've still got a hunch Chromedome didn't say "I love you", whilst on the outside of the Slow Cell door. Just because in some relationships one person is more in love than the other.

I don't doubt Chromedome loved Rewind, but I think he was as interested in Rewind's storage skills, whereas Rewind was fully into Chromedome.

T'was an interesting theory. It's tough for random Cybertronian X to be Ambus due to when he and Rewind returned to the planet. So I'm fairly certain Chromedome is somehow involved in Dominus' disappearance. The question is whether Dominus is dead or just really locked up somewhere and has had his head tampered with.

I think you're on to something with what Chromedome may have said. That's way too perfect of a setup for some kind of misdirection, and it would be just like Roberts.

Blackjack
2014-08-14, 05:16 AM
Mmm, I've never thought that Pious and Fortress Maximus could be the same person. Certainly seems possible to be something like that, no?

Chromedome... I was reading issue... six or seven or whatever and he did tell Skids to not ask anything about his missing memories and/or the Empyrean Suite. So, yeah, there's something definitely fishy about it.

Chromedome being Dominus Ambus might work, though, if only to wave away the 'my old name is Tumbler' thing which ended up being unimportant... I heard a podcast about Roberts saying that it's not important, but what if Chromedome was Dominus Ambus before he became Tumbler? Maybe he did a body gloving thing? Shadowplay established you could do that and in the realm where mnemosurgery is in play nothing anyone really says can be taken at face value.

Chromedome being responsible or partially responsible for Megatron being afraid of needles makes sense. Chromedome, mind you, had no reservations about playing around in Megatron's head despite refusing to do so after Rewind's death during Dark Cybertron. Chromedome accidentally rewriting Megatron into the stupid thug we saw throughout most of the pre-Roberts material would make sense, and maybe it was the events of... Chaos? RID? Whichever it is that started playing him in a more positive light the original Megatron's mind restored itself.

And maybe Chromedome wanted to kill himself because he was responsible for Megatron, who might be responsible for the death of one of Chromedome's conjunx? We know at least one of his old loves was warborn and a friend of Hoist's and so most likely the war was responsible for the death of one.

Or the colder, more Prowl-y take on Chromedome being around Rewind to protect his information would work... except he really truly grieved during 'Gloaming' and Brainstorm knew Chromedome from the past so that puts him being Dominus on the hunt for Rewind kind of in a bad timeline or something.

Wasn't Black Shadow's crime stated by the DJD? Selling a bunch of warworlds or something?

Scorponok being behind the ship makes perfect sense considering the organic stuff and the association with Grimlock. Scorpy was conspicuously absent from LSOTW, and probably buggered off because he was hunted down by the DJD as well? IIRC Scorponok was a rogue Decepticon the first time we saw him in Spotlight Ultra Magnus.

Though mostly I just don't want another Shockwave story after the last twelve-issue one ended up being so disappointing.

Chromedome could be shouting "OPEN! OPEN DAMN IT OPEN!" I mean, it's a possibility.

A lot of these speculation would lead to extremely interesting stories, though.

Auntie Slag
2014-08-14, 10:36 AM
Chromedome & Rewind:

Rack 'n Ruin
2014-08-14, 12:38 PM
So, my (random) MTMTE thoughts...

Are Minimus Ambus and Dominus Ambus confirmed as beling related? If so, I wonder if Dominus is a load bearer like Minimus is. If so, he could be inside nearly any largish Transformer, totally hidden from sight. Even his moustache, a dead giveaway for the House of Ambus, could be compeltely obscured behind, for example, a large Decepticon insignia facemask... Yep, I'm now wondering if Tarn is Dominus post some Chromedome-mind-warping-gone-bad. Could explain the Empyrean Suite link between him and Magnus people have mentioned. Maybe the music could be heard at The Institute while the mind fiddling was taking place, and maybe Skids was present also (hence he has the music swirling through his mind). I'm guessing his amnesia is also Chromedome induced. Things could get dark with this...

Also (and this occurred to me a while back, so apologies if I've already rambled on about it), what if the mysterious warning message from way back (Don't let them take Skids!) is not actually from someone in the Lost Light's crew, and the "them" is referring to Rodimus and co. picking Skids up in issue 2ish. If the message isn't from a Lost Light-er, it would open up some interesting questions. Who is it from? Who were they trying to contact? Prowl, maybe? What is the intention behind the whole message - fair or foul? Innaressin', innaressin'...

Auntie Slag
2014-08-14, 02:03 PM
Dominus as Tarn.... daaaaaaaamn [/Top Spin]

I could imagine if Rewind has survived and later Overlord and Tarn have the most almighty fight, it could be the sudden appearance of Rewind that would kick off all manner of flashbacks in Tarn, letting Overlord get the upper hand at the crucial moment, crushing him and setting the path for the final confrontation with Megatron.

The Wiki says that Dominus and Minimus are indeed spark brothers (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Minimus_Ambus).

Unicron
2014-08-14, 02:34 PM
It's almost a certainty that Tarn is someone else, given the mask face and Dominus is as a good a guess as any. Especially since we know next to nothing about Tarn, how long he's been active, etc. Nothing there to shoot any idea down.

Speaking of spark brothers, we still don't really know what the term means. My assumption is it's 2 or more sparks that flared to life and were harvested in close proximity to each other, and thus have some sort of connection or similarities.
(Admittedly this lack of certainty could throw a small wrench into my Pious/Fortress reasoning, but I'm sticking with it until we know otherwise.)

inflatable dalek
2014-08-14, 02:36 PM
Whatever dark secrets are in Chromedome's past (and I certainly don't think we've learnt what it was that he wiped from Prowl's mind) I really can't see it being the case he's ever done anything manipulative or sinister to Rewind.

After all, it's not just the first successful IDW Transformers love story, it's the first IDW Transformers love story full stop. Having done something I think we would all have been cynical of three years ago and pulling it off brilliantly, I can't see Roberts suddenly turning into such a poor writer as to make the whole thing based on lies just for the shake of a cheap shock. Especially as it is, to all intents and purposes, a gay relationship, something that doesn't always get great treatment in popular entertainment.

Plus, Chromedome asked Minimus about his name in Remain in Light, suggesting he thought he might be Dominus and has no more idea what happened to the moustached one than the rest of us.

Auntie Slag
2014-08-14, 03:00 PM
It seems to me that Chromedome loved Rewind, no matter what sinister agenda he may have had going on. I don’t think of it as a gay relationship, its just a relationship. Femmebots are still an incredibly unusual thing in the MTMTE/RID continuity, yes? As in they’re the products of CNA experiments by Jhiaxus. If that’s the case and Transformers are only either forged or cold constructed then there’s no need for any sexualisation when describing a TF relationship.

Chromedome asking Minimus his house name is an easy bluff, that happens in films all the time when the hero is in disguise.

It wouldn’t feel like cheap writing to me if an underlying shock were waiting in the wings beneath Chromedome & Rewind’s relationship. We know Chromedome is a dodgy little so and so who partakes in nasty things despite his better nature.

Its Rewind who was trying to keep him on the straight and narrow, possibly to avoid Chromedome ever considering another suicide attempt following too many sordid doings.

[EDIT] Just read in the Wiki (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Nautica) that:

Nautica was born on a distant world colonized by the Metrotitan known as Caminus. The Titan carried within him an active hot spot upon leaving Cybertron, allowing new Cybertronians to be born from the colony. Nautica was one of several Cybertronians born from that hot spot who evolved in such a way that they were considered "female".

So there are natural females born in this TF universe, but they've never featured until Dark Cybertron, and I guess we don't know yet what difference it makes for a Transformer to be considered female?

Unicron
2014-08-14, 03:07 PM
It's also an almost certainty that Domey has tinkered with Rewind's head at least once. The UV light allergy, which is kind of ridiculous and would be one hell of a coincidence. UV light is basically everywhere, it'd be like being allergic to oxygen. Plus at least one instance of Rewind not being able to remember where Chromedome was and what he was up to.

Sure, it could be one hell of a bit of misdirection, but I doubt it.

inflatable dalek
2014-08-14, 03:15 PM
It seems to me that Chromedome loved Rewind, no matter what sinister agenda he may have had going on. I don’t think of it as a gay relationship, its just a relationship. Femmebots are still an incredibly unusual thing in the MTMTE/RID continuity, yes? As in they’re the products of CNA experiments by Jhiaxus. If that’s the case and Transformers are only either forged or cold constructed then there’s no need for any sexualisation when describing a TF relationship.

It's not litterally a gay relationship of course, but it's certainly analogous to one, and not with a huge amount of subtlety (and at AA 2013 when he was asked if Hasbro has any resistance to the idea Roberts didn't refute the phrasing of the question that called it a gay relationship either). You could certainly call it an asexual relationship (which is even rarer in fiction come to think of it) if you want to be completely literal, but either way it's a deeply loving relationship complete with marriage.

And if Chromedome has been doing things to either Rewind, either physically or via having done something to his ex-partner, that turns it from a loving relationship into a deeply hideous abusive one.

There are people who are uncomfortable with how the Cyclonus/Tailgate thing is going considering it basically started with Cyclonus beating up Tailgate (though I quite like the idea suggested by someone here of it being a parental relationship rather than a partners one, with MTMTE being all about friendship in all it's various forms a father/son* dynamic would be an extra dimension for it to explore), the already fully established old married couple turning out to be all about the one manipulating the other in every way really wouldn't be a good direction to go on.

It's a relationship that worked beautifully, it doesn't need twists, I'm still somewhat nervous about how the likely return of Rewind at some point will affect things.

*Though based on what Roberts and Milne said at AA, that'd be more of a Mother/son relationship. Cyclonus' holo-avatar is a rather stern school marm apparently...

Unicron
2014-08-14, 08:35 PM
Yeah, Chromedome being up to no good with Rewind would put an unfortunate spin on the relationship, but I'm certain there's some kind of weirdness with them we're not privy to yet. Hell, for all we know Rewind is Chromedome's handler, assigned to him to keep him on the straight and narrow and non-suicidal.

*Though based on what Roberts and Milne said at AA, that'd be more of a Mother/son relationship. Cyclonus' holo-avatar is a rather stern school marm apparently...
As funky as that sounds, I kind of hope they're joking about it. I was hoping Cyclonus' avatar would be a Russian dude, complete with fur hat. (Whenever I read the bit with Cyclonus singing for Tailgate that Drift bursts in on, I always read it with Cyc having a Russian accent there)

Unicron
2014-08-14, 08:38 PM
Double-posty goodness
So there are natural females born in this TF universe, but they've never featured until Dark Cybertron, and I guess we don't know yet what difference it makes for a Transformer to be considered female?
Well, up until Dark Cybertron, we never really were exposed to non-Cybertron born Transformers (same with the cast we'd been following up till that point). As for what makes them female, I think one of the bits of info in the last issue lists Nautica as having an Estriol-Positive spark, which probably is connected to the femaleness.

inflatable dalek
2014-08-16, 11:47 AM
I posted this in the AA thread, but just in case any MTMTE fans aren't glancing that way, a James Roberts podcast interview where he talks about MTMTE, fake out deaths and that he wouldn't want to share a hab suite with Chromedome...

http://s39.podbean.com/pb/76a71709e41e00954e357f446407af1a/53ef43b1/data1/blogs53/516246/uploads/FMHsquaredSpecialEpisode2TheOldMansBackAgain.mp3

Blackjack
2014-08-16, 12:26 PM
Ah, good, he realizes the fake-out deaths are crap! Awesomeness.

EDIT: ooh, more Chromedome intrigue. Yeah, Barber can have Prowl (to his credit he's trying to fix the mistakes he did with him from the early RID issues) -- Chromedome is my new favourite edgy gray-morality Autobot.

inflatable dalek
2014-08-16, 01:50 PM
Yeah, after all my defence of Chromedome's intentions towards Rewind, Roberts really makes it sound as if there's no one, even his own creator!- he wouldn't **** with...

EDIT: And he realises a lot of people think the fake outs are crap, which isn't quite the same as thinking so himself...

Auntie Slag
2014-08-16, 03:23 PM
Its great to be able to listen to the authors comments and reactions as his series is running. And its good to know that he is aware of fan reaction and speculation, even if it may be just a vocal few per fansite.

On the other side, I wonder how that makes Barber feel about RID? I'm sure there are plenty of people more than happy with it.

Some great nuggets of information given away too, things that I would have been pleased as punch to read on the day; but am happy to know about through this podcast. I mean, its not like its ruined anything plot-wise by mentioning them.

He's careful not to give anything away that could even be read into! And excellent that he can recite The Young One's at will :smokin:

Skyquake87
2014-08-16, 08:00 PM
I have only just read MTMTE # 31 (special subscription with Blockbusters style honeycomb art) and read this thread... and feel really very dim.

I must have missed the cunning stuff about Chromdome and his special needle hand and that he might have done VERY BAD THINGS to Rewind with it. Sigh.

I am more concerned that we've seen him be use his abilities again after all that stuff with Rewind and the promise he made to himself not to do needly mind things again. People though, can't help falling into bad habits, right?

I will listen to the pod cast soon...its not really long is it? Anything over 30 minutes and I get bored...! If its some 2 hour waffle-a-thon I will freely admit I probably end up walking out of the room and doing something else. Tickle a cat. Do some ironing. Eat a biscuit. That sort of thing.

Auntie Slag
2014-08-16, 08:30 PM
All the Chromedome needle stuff on Rewind is conjecture going back many issues. But yeah, it all boils down to the fact that Chromedome just can’t keep from doing freaky things.

This and the fact that there’s something extremely dodgy about him, he likes being dodgy, he’s skilled to the point where he’s outlived others who partake in the extremely dangerous sport of mnemosurgery, and he's formed multiple close relationships in his life so far when the majority of the cybertron populace barely even get one.

Chromedome’s a freaky cat, man. Overlord is a fluffy kitten compared to that guy.

The podcast is just over an hour long. James' responses are good though; interesting and layered. Although in the nicest possible sense you're not missing anything if you don't listen.

Me; I'd listen, have a tea, eat a biscuit and tickle a cat.

Skyquake87
2014-08-16, 08:33 PM
I should probably do the terribly modern thing of downloading this to some convenient portable device...

but I just can't be arsed.

If its just an hour, I should manage that. I like James Roberts. Especially as he doesn't half look like Ryan Stiles whom I remember most fondly from Whose Line Is It Anyway? He's doing some rubbish sitcom thing I keep seeing on Comedy Central.

I am a terrible MTMTE reader. Here's you guys getting all deep and meaningful with it, and I just think its bloody great comics and slots in nicely with my other current choices of Lazarus, Fatale and Velvet :)

I still love Joanna's colours bestest. Joanna, (if you're out there) come do the colours for my life. It would be ace.

Auntie Slag
2014-08-16, 08:39 PM
Ha! I never made that connection. Yes, Ryan Style's British cousin!

James is very good in the podcast, its the Interviewers who annoy me a bit, and it sounds like its recorded in a shoe box.

He could really do with someone a bit more like Parkinson or the woman from Desert Island Discs interviewing him.

Skyquake87
2014-08-16, 09:03 PM
Or Inflatable Dalek...

Although I have horrible feeling that would end up like this:

http://youtu.be/eNPZXtJ48Qo

Unicron
2014-08-17, 01:34 AM
I have only just read MTMTE # 31 (special subscription with Blockbusters style honeycomb art) and read this thread... and feel really very dim.

I must have missed the cunning stuff about Chromdome and his special needle hand and that he might have done VERY BAD THINGS to Rewind with it. Sigh.

Yeah, as Auntie Slag said, the Chromedome/Rewind needling theories goes back a ways. The UV light allergy I referenced is mentioned in issue 12 (and issue 8 is where Chromedome explains Mnemosurgery marks only show up under UV light), I want to say it was 13 where Rewind couldn't remember what Domey was up to.

That's part of the fun of this series. Roberts does such a great job with world building and foreshadowing that new information has us trying to figure out what it means and thus going back to look over past issues for connections and things to fit or disprove theories.
It's because of things like Brainstorm being revealed to be dead this whole time late in Dark Cybertron. It makes us go back and look at things in a new light. It explains why the sparkeater totally ignored him all the way back in issue 2.

So MTMTE threads seem to turn into a mass of speculation and past issue references. Fun times.

Skyquake87
2014-08-17, 08:40 AM
I think I'll have to keep MTMTE out of the Long Boxes going forward... :)

Listened to the podcast. I'd agree with Slag, the interviewers are a little excitable and there's a fair few moments where things dive into private jokes and Roberts has to bring things back under control, but some good stuff in there, all the same.

inflatable dalek
2014-08-17, 05:23 PM
Or Inflatable Dalek...

By amazing coincidence, I have happened to put a list of questions together for a James Roberts interview. Here's a quick preview of them:

Hi James, can I call you Jim?

Why are you so awesome?

Have you thought about bringing that Decepticon who turned into a Dalek from the Marvel comics back? Maybe with a slightly inflatable look this time?

Will you be my friend?

That'd be the jist of it.

I thought the podcast interviewers did a fair enough job, there's no shortage of "Professional" chat show hosts who do the paly paly injoke thing so that didn't bother me.

EDIT: What I really like is that Roberts takes the hab suite question completely seriously and thinks through which of them would be the most bearable to live with rather than going for the gag answer the question obviously invites.

Skyquake87
2014-08-18, 08:22 AM
Those are all fine questions, and I bet you'd get considered responses to each of them too :)