PDA

View Full Version : Why are the instructions so crappy these days?

Grimlock1980
2014-07-01, 05:02 PM
I know that the joy in collecting transformers is that you get to play with a puzzle, a car, a robot, a jet, a animal, you get the picture. But what happens when the puzzle that changes into any number of items a la Sixshot, is more difficult than you can even deal with lol. We turn to the instructions except that in my opinion the instructions do not tell you anything they show you the pictures and you are supposed to figure it out still. Now again long overdue but when growing up in the 80's the instructions had words detailing step by step how to do things. I guess it counts that people could read back then. We have a serious literacy problem in this country tis of thee. I just wonder where are the real instructions? Don't tell me Google Play because then I will fall over!!!

Denyer
2014-07-01, 05:24 PM
Didn't read instructions as a kid and don't read them now, personally.

Occasionally a before and after photo's handy.

Tantrum
2014-07-01, 10:49 PM
The lack of text in the instructions may be due to international releasing than literacy. This way they can use the same instruction document all over the world, leave the graphics alone and just edit the text in the margins. With text instructions, you have to translate a sentence for each step and make each translation fit in the same space without obstructing the image.

I usually check the instructions to make sure I'm doing things in the right order. It's a lesson I learned the hard way when I was a kid with a brand new Hook. I didn't know you had to slide the vehicle halves apart before flipping out the legs and snapped one right off.

Notabot
2014-07-02, 02:09 AM
Actually, have you looked at some G1 instructions? A friend came into a full set of Stunticons with the original Menasor instructions. Something like "Put four into car mode, then pull Dead End's and Dragstrip's heads out to form arms." It was almost pure text, and made no sense unless you were already familiar with the process and which car was which. For all the complaints about bad instructions, I think they're actually pretty good again lately. Sometimes hard to figure out some of the special joints the first time since they don't have an arrow that goes out/up/doublejoint back in, but if you look closely, they're usually pretty clear.

Grimlock1980
2014-07-02, 03:16 PM
That is a good point that the universal language difference is avoided by eliminating text. However, this have been multilingual for quite some time as well. However, it is a great point better than mine actually. Thanks.

Clay
2014-07-02, 09:16 PM
It's not that the instructions are worse, but rather that the toys are more complex. The Stunticon cars have, what, two or three steps? Even something like the original Cheetor has double or triple that, and it's pretty intuitive. Get into territory like ROTF Mixmaster and instructions are going to be pretty lacking.

Tantrum
2014-07-02, 10:08 PM
I don't remember G1 instructions all that well. What you say about the combiner instructions starting off by telling you which mode to put each member in sounds familiar, though. However, I don't think that's a flaw in the gestalt instructions. I'd expect Menasor's instructions to tell you how to use Dragstrip's vehicle mode to make Menasor; Dragstrip would have his own instructions telling how to transform him from one mode to the other.