PDA

View Full Version : Book Me, Dano.

inflatable dalek
2014-07-23, 07:53 PM
We've threads for DVD's, music, toys computer games and prostitutes, so I thought it was time for a thread on the books we were reading as well. I usually have about ten on the go, but the main ones at the moment:

Poirot and Me by David Suchet. Bought for me by my mother to go with my watching of the show, a very sweet book where Suchet comes over as a genuinely nice man with lots of good actorly annecdotes. however, as with Roger Moore's book on Bond from a couple of years ago you can feel the join between the bits Suchet wrote (thoughts on how to play the character and how well each film worked) and the bits done by his ghost writer ("The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was first published in 192X and critics at the time said...").

Shame it's not called Bigfoot and the Hendersons and Me though, even if it was pleasing he mentions that film as a fun one to make.

Skyship by John Brosnan. Brosnan's It's Only a Movie column in Starburst magazine was a huge influence on my writing style so I was pleased to see Golance put out a 2 ebook version of several of his novels as part of their "Forgotten stuff in our back catalogue we can get a bit of money out of digitally" range.

It's incredibly cheesy- as any book about the maiden voyage of a nuclear powered airship that people aren't expecting will go horribly wrong is wont to be- but huge daft fun and has just the right amount of tongue in its cheek thus far.

Auntie Slag
2014-07-23, 08:09 PM
The Three Musketeers. Its alright but the best character by far is Richelou (who reminds me of Prowl), and he's not in it enough by half. Also the book is massive and taking me forever to get through. I can only handle one book at a time, but for Musketeers I took time out to go through Eugenesis again.

Denyer
2014-07-23, 08:29 PM
I vaguely remember having time to read. Flipping through Save the Cat at the moment, and am in the progress of upgrading a few things I've had as singles for years such as early Hitman and Death: The High Cost of Living with trades and hardcovers.

Summerhayes
2014-07-23, 10:22 PM
I can rarely handle having more than one book on the go at any given moment, but what I tend to do is line up the books I'm planning to read so I can move from one into the next without too much deliberation. It also means I can plan out to a ridiculously minute amount of detail what I'm reading next; I can space out series of books, make sure ones I'm not sure I'll like are sandwiched between sure things and so on.

I'll take a picture of the books on my shelf at some point as its currently ridiculous; I just got back from visiting family, during which I visited a massive second-hand book warehouse and bought eleven more novels to read, including eight star trek novels.

As for what I'm reading right now; book two of a four-volume edition of The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, which for an eight hundred year old book about two thousand year old Chinese history is surprisingly readable.

Heinrad
2014-07-24, 12:07 AM
Joyland, by Stephen King. He occasionally puts books out under the Hard Crime imprint, and this is one of them. Pretty good so far.

On my Kindle app, I'm reading......

Ben Hur, by General Lew Wallace. I've always liked the movie, and figured it was time to give the book a shot. And I have to say, Wallace succeeded in what he wanted to do. The detail is so exact that reading it makes you feel like you're in the desert. It's very dry, in both the literal and literary sense.

Clay
2014-07-24, 02:42 AM
Mostly been listening to audiobooks of public domain stuff on youtube. Currently moving through all the HP Lovecraft stuff I can find. Also listening to a lot of first-half 19th century American literature stuff for a course I'm taking (Poe, Hawthorne, Thoreau, etc.). I like the Lovecraft stuff more. :o

Notabot
2014-07-24, 04:20 AM
I'm a terribly slow reader, but our library just got all the Game of Thrones books on CD, and I've had some massive solo road time. I was intrigued by all the praise and the plot summaries, but I hate that HBO made the series so... HBOish. I'm a little over halfway through the second book, Clash of Kings, right now. Lots of characters and interwoven plots, but each book could be about half as long if Martin omitted a few of his "this book is an epic classic, so here is a two page list of people who were present but you'll never hear about again and the menu of what they ate" sections.

I have to wonder if the books continue to get progressively more graphic, though. I've heard more than enough rape scenes already and am honestly considering giving up on the books and just reading wiki summaries instead.

electro girl
2014-07-24, 06:31 PM
Recently read The Jedi Path and Book of the Sith. I've also got a couple of the Shakespeare Star Wars adaptations to get through but my main read at the moment is Concretopia about post war architecture in Britain because Brutalism is amazing!

Summerhayes
2014-07-25, 01:27 PM
I found the Song of Ice and Fire books to be incredibly compelling reading, certainly didn't have any issues with length. Each to their own though I suppose. As I understand it, �Martin just really, really likes food, hence the ludicrous amount of food description. I always like books that describe the characters meals in detail, not sure why.

HeavyArms
2014-07-26, 02:13 PM
I have been slowly reading Battlefield 4: Road To War hoping that like it's predecessor it would be better than the Battlefield 4 video game, not sure that's accurate yet.

Heinrad
2014-07-27, 05:49 PM
Finished Joyland, breezed through I Didn't Ask to be Born(But I'm Glad I Was) by Bill Cosby, and I just started The Cat Who Tailed a Thief, by Lillian Jackson Braun.

Auntie Slag
2014-07-29, 05:54 PM
Good thread this, just downloaded Lovecraft's 'The Shunned House' thanks to Clay's recommendation :smokin:

Denyer
2014-07-29, 06:35 PM
Mostly been listening to audiobooks of public domain stuff on youtube. Currently moving through all the HP Lovecraft stuff I can find.
Any particularly good readings? Gutenberg has some great Holmes ones if you snip the website plug at the beginning of chunks;

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/9556

Auntie Slag
2014-07-30, 09:28 AM
Blimey, I didn't know about the audio book side of things over at Project Gutenberg. That's very cool!

Summerhayes
2014-07-30, 02:54 PM
I was utterly convinced that was going to be a website collecting recordings of Steve Guttenberg reading classic novels. Convinced.

Heinrad
2014-08-11, 10:02 AM
Finished The Cat Who Tailed a Thief, and barreled through Paper Doll, by Robert B. Parker. Yes, much like Nightbeat, I love a mystery.

Next up: Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway, by Dave Barry. If the hot, and hopefully single, babe behind the counter likes the same humor columnist you do, she's a keeper. Once I figure out what her name is.......

Warcry
2014-08-11, 05:29 PM
Dave Barry is still alive writing? He was vaguely funny twenty years ago, I suppose.

Today I started reading my dad's old copy of The Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns, which in spite of being written in 1961 is one of the most engaging technical/historical books on the subject I've ever seen. Certainly a lot more interesting and memorable than the government handbook on the subject that you need to read for their safety course.

It's also unintentionally hilarious at times because it's over fifty years old and the author had some extremely sideways ideas even for the time -- he seems really proud that a certain gun "killed all the elk and bison in the east and drove the Indians into the plains", which really isn't something you'd expect from a hunter nowadays. Even putting aside the racism, he'd have been able to go out and shoot elk and bison himself if those shortsighted assholes hadn't extirpated them. Bison are delicious, dammit!

inflatable dalek
2014-08-11, 05:33 PM
Anyone else scared Warcry is doing research into guns? Which of us will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes?

Heinrad
2014-08-11, 09:10 PM
Nah, I'm not scared.

As far as I know, Dave Barry is still alive and writing. He's retired from regular column writing and is mainly doing books now.

But fear not, he still does the Year in Review and the Annual Christmas Gift Guide.

Warcry
2014-08-11, 10:00 PM
Anyone else scared Warcry is doing research into guns? Which of us will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes?
As long as none of you are secretly a deer or other such tasty animal, or something trying to raid my garden (or have bullseyes tattooed on you), you should be fine.

Actually considering how bad a shot I am you'd probably still be fine even if you were one of those things, but if you're the scenery beside them, watch out!

(When the revolution comes you will be disposed of via hanging. :glance: )

inflatable dalek
2014-08-12, 04:24 PM
Well, I always wanted to be well hung.

These are the Voyages Season 2, a making of history of the second year of the original Star Trek, is out now on Kindle and downloaded. Hopefully it'll avoid the proff reading and fact checking problems the first book had as there were all sorts of memos and production notes reprinted for the first time that were so interesting the slightly dodgy surrounding text was even more annoying.

Rack 'n Ruin
2014-08-12, 04:26 PM
...proff reading...

Comedy gold! :lol:

inflatable dalek
2014-08-12, 04:30 PM
Comedy gold! :lol:

I didn't charge you a tenner for that though did I?

Though now I will, pay up bitch!

Heinrad
2014-08-17, 05:25 PM
Finished Dave Barry Hits below the Beltway, and have now started on the Doctor Who New Adventures novel that I got when I got the Dave Barry book, Shadowmind, by first time author and regular cover painter Christopher Bulis, if the text on the back cover is to be believed.

I had forgotten how generally serious the NA books were. Even the pure comedy of Benny and Ace peering into the console room because Benny had wandered in earlier to ask the Doctor something and had a weird, momentary flash of the first Doctor standing at the console seems somber and dark.

Heinrad
2014-09-06, 12:37 AM
Having finished Shadowmind, I started reading Mr. Monk in Trouble by Lee Goldberg, based on the TV series Monk.

I wish the guy was still writing these. I also wish Monk was still on the air.

HeavyArms
2014-09-06, 10:07 AM
Recently bought the third installment of Karen Traviss' Halo trilogy; Kilo Five: Mortal Dictata, from Robinson's Book Store.

HeavyArms
2014-09-13, 09:17 AM
Bought Star Wars The Old Republic: Revan, which is a sequel to the KOTOR video games, from Robinson's Book Store.

Dead Man Wade
2014-09-20, 06:59 PM
I've started reading my daughter Good Omens each night before bed. I figure it's only a short time before she's insisting on Go Dog Go!, so I might as well make use of the time I have.

Skyquake87
2014-09-21, 06:41 AM
I am currently reading The Crisis Of Innovation In Water And Wastewater, an academic book from ten years ago, but one I've found very useful in filling out my background knowledge about my work. So uh, bit of a busman's holiday. A bit like when I watched the Watermen on BBC2.

HeavyArms
2014-09-27, 12:40 PM
Bought Tolkien's The Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth last week and this week I bought the first installment in Karen Traviss' Halo Kilo Team trilogy: Glass lands.

Heinrad
2014-09-27, 06:40 PM
Having just finished Small Vices by Robert B. Parker, I'm now starting The Professional, also by Parker.

Sades
2014-10-02, 09:48 PM
I'm NOT reading Game of Thrones, because Hound wants me to hurry up and read it so we can watch the TV show. Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.

(Truth be told, I've got it started.)

The rest are comics. Reading The Walking Dead and the new Justice League United solely for Equinox. Collecting it mainly for the small one, as aspiring to be a super heroine is far cooler than aspiring to be a princess.

I just hope they don't kill her off in some horrible fashion, that would be majorly lame.

Oh, and Miracleman.

inflatable dalek
2014-12-15, 09:37 PM
Not a book as such, but an unabridged audio book reading of Terry Nation's Survivors novel!

First up, Carolyn Seymour does a very good job on reading duties, in particular capturing Lucy Fleming surprisingly well.

The first segment is basically a straightforward adaptation of the first two episodes, and as this some of the best material Nation ever wrote it's impressively strong and makes for a gripping listen, especially with all the little details that they couldn't have afforded on TV.

The rest of the book- with one odd exception- sees Nation strike out on his own and it's hard not to read it as his rebuttal of what Terrance Dudley did to the first season as it went on. The most obvious dig at the show's producer is that the central dilemma of the first episode Nation didn't write (with Charles trying to get all the women to set up with multiple partners) is casually adopted by one of the characters here with no problem or comment from anybody else as if it's the most insignificant thing in the world.

(And yes, it's only characters created by Nation, there's a Ruth but she's so unlike the Doctor from year 2 it could just be a coincidence).

So the scale is not only bigger- with a quick side visit to those holed up in Piccadilly- but Nation's firm ideas of where the series should have gone and what it should have done are extremely to the fore. It's nice that George Baker's group are a recurring background threat as well, the series seemed to set him up as a main baddy and then he was only mentioned once afterwards (Dudley's influence again?).

Mind, that plot doesn't get any real sort of payoff, and the ending is clearly trying so hard to be shocking but instead just feels like Nation ran out of space (the "Twist" is also really obvious, hmmmm, I wonder why one of the four people following them is very carefully not named?), it's also ironic the book finishes at the point it was really venturing into territory the show couldn't have afforded. Mind, it's also territory Brian Clemens wanted to do with his original idea for a post plague series he claims Nation stole, if he'd have read the book he'd have had an aneurysm.

Still, the main weakness of the book is the random decision-amidst the new material- to devote an entire chapter to adapting Garland's War (on run time, it's twice as long a chapter as any of the others as well). Which feels a bit pointless, especially as Garland is then killed off-page later anyway.

Also, "Suddenly she realised she was masturbating" is probably the last sentence I would ever have expected to appear in a Terry Nation novel.

Notabot
2014-12-16, 05:42 PM
In continuing my Audiobook journey through the Game of Thrones novels, I'm kind of annoyed with A Feast for Crows. The story has introduced a bunch of new, tangential people, and that's fine. It's starting out very slow, and that's fine too since most of them have (and when you've got 20 hours of book, you can afford to be slow).

My biggest beef is that Roy Dotrice, the reader, doesn't seem to be as into it anymore. He has changed the pronunciation of a number of character names (Catelyn Stark was being pronounced Cat like meow, but is now like Kate-lyn, Petyr Baelish was Pit-tar and is now Peter, etc). Maybe that's to fit with the show (I haven't watched it), but it's annoying. He has also changed the voice he uses for some characters to something totally obnoxious and irritating (Arya's storyline was one of my favorites, but he's using such a dumb voice for her that it's almost hard to listen to). And he's been inconsistent in some pronunciations (Brieene alternates mid-paragraph between Bry-een and Brie-anna) and voices (using the wrong character's voice mid-conversation, having someone's accent change within the same chapter, etc.) I understand that with a project this huge, there are going to be changes and errors, but they just seem really, really blatant on this book.

But despite all that (and all the stupid gratuitous raping), I'm still enjoying the series and want to see how it all turns out.

Summerhayes
2014-12-18, 08:52 PM
Just finished reading Consider Phlebas, the first of Iain M. Banks' Culture novels. It was an exceptional slice of real hard sciece fiction. A lot of space operas boil down to a punch-up or a sword fight or a space battle that could as easily be a naval one. Here, transhumanism, politics, artificial intelligence, space travel and alien life are all explored in a much more interesting way than the usual stuff. I can't wait to read the rest now, and considering my mum owns them all and has been to two of the man's talks I can't believe it took me this long to start.

Also, I finished Halo: Combat Evolved for the first time today and playing that at the same time as I read this book. I couldn't help but notice a lot of similarities, so seeing the game's developers mention the book's influence made me feel really smug for cottoning on.

Denyer
2014-12-18, 11:42 PM
Logical follow-on read to Phlebas is Look to Windward, which refers back to the same war (titled from the same poem as well).

Cyberstrike nTo
2014-12-20, 10:37 PM
Currently reading Dragon Age: The Calling, the second novel based on the Dragon Age video game series, and is the second prequel to the first game, Dragon Age: Origins. The third novel, Dragon Age: Asunder is more a less an interlude of sorts set in between the events of Dragon Age II and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Bought the Dragon Age: The Masked Empire and Dragon Age: Last Flight the fourth and fifth novels respectfully, based on the Dragon Age video game series.

The problem with both Asunder and The Masked Empire is that the endings to both novels are more or less spoiled by the party memeber Cole who debuts in Asunder and an unavoidable quest that has the main characters from The Masked Empire in the game Dragon Age: Inquisition.

And from the description and the cover art to Dragon Age: Last Fight seems about what happened to the Griffins, the winged mounts that the Grey Wardens used to have but the Griffins mysteriously died out and how they might be coming back to the DA Universe.

Notabot
2014-12-21, 12:42 AM
the second novel... is the second prequel to the first game, Dragon Age: Origins

This sentence makes me laugh. Two prequels to a game called "Origins".

Cyberstrike nTo
2014-12-21, 01:04 AM
This sentence makes me laugh. Two prequels to a game called "Origins".

There is a HUGE amount of backstory and history in the Dragon Age games they could 100 novels set before the events of the first game and barely scratch the surface.

Notabot
2015-02-07, 08:01 PM
Finished "A Feast for Crows" and was deeply disappointed! Not just with the items from my previous post (which I'm sure everyone remembers and has been pondering for the last few weeks), but NOTHING HAPPENS!! It's an entire book of development with no major events. Even the final "climax" is more development for what might happen than anything actually happening. It was honestly enough to make me consider skipping "A Dance with Dragons" and just reading a synopsis. HOWEVER...

I'm totally glad that I didn't, because Dance with Dragons actually goes back and covers the story lines that were missing from Crows. Maybe Mr. Martin got word that his fans actually enjoy stories about the characters they like instead of imaginary histories of lines of royal descendency.

So I've enjoyed the first 4 hours of Dance with Dragons far more than the entirety of Feast for Crows, and I'm hoping that it keeps up the good pace.

Sades
2015-02-10, 06:58 AM
Thanks to Notabot, who solved the problem I was having in finding time to read A Game of Thrones by posting about the audiobooks in this here thread, thusly reminding me about... well, audiobooks (I know, I know. I'm a bright one). All my time spent riding to and from work/doing housework is now also spent listening to audiobooks, and I have found it an excellent way to get through the novels.

Finished A Game of Thrones finally, now onto A Clash Of Kings. I've stopped reading comics entirely for the time being, because I've started playing Skyrim again and it's taking up most of the time not spent with the small one. :swirly:

Dead Man Wade
2015-02-10, 03:41 PM
Currently reading Patton Oswalt's Zombie Spaceship Wasteland, which runs the gamut from straight comedy to memoir.

Notabot
2015-02-11, 02:22 PM
I've stopped reading comics entirely for the time being,

And comics don't work as well on audiobook, do they? "What's that?" "Huh?" "Zwappp!"

Although, now I want to hear Ian McKellen reading Archie comics. Or Shane MacGowan.

And semi-related, my children have just discovered the bizarre joy of "Descriptive audio" on Blu-ray discs. It's like fast audiobooks of movies.

Dead Man Wade
2015-02-12, 01:55 PM
Finished Zombie Spaceship Wasteland, and have moved on to Silver Screen Fiend.

HeavyArms
2015-02-14, 09:32 AM
Gone Girl, as part of a promotion if you bought the DVD or Blu Ray at JB Hifi.

Sades
2015-02-15, 07:22 AM
I just don't have the time to read a bunch of different comics. And I lack the willingness to try and snatch extra time away from the peoples and things in my life for them. If I didn't get motion sickness when reading on public transit, things might be different... or I might read novels more. Ehhh.

A Clash Of Kings: I keep mixing up almost everyone because of their weird names, but don't want to Wiki and spoil the damn thing for myself. Gawdammit.

Notabot
2015-02-15, 02:05 PM
This doesn't really give spoiler-proof info about the characters, but it really helped me get a feel for where things where and who was going where, which did help me keep things a bit straighter in my head. And you can move the slider to wherever you are in the books/series to prevent any map spoilers, which is pretty dang cool.

http://quartermaester.info/

Sades
2015-02-16, 05:49 AM
http://quartermaester.info/

Yeaaaaahhhhhhh! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jorJh8DTMVM#t=1m18s)

I love a good bit of map. I am going to have all sorts of fun with this.

Hey, hey... why do the Lannisters have such big beds? No googling, dammit.

Sades
2015-02-21, 11:35 PM
Answer: They push two twins together to make a king. AH HA HA HA. Yeah, I know. shut up.

A Clash of Kings:

At the bus stop yesterday, listening to the book on my way to work...

"Winterfell!"

GODDAMN IT, ARYA.

(in my head, I'm not some weirdo. Well... I'm plenty ****ing weird, but not so much that I talk to myself in public.)

Spoiler tags because Hound has been dropping hints about what happens in later books without being specific and it's driving me nuts because he doesn't see that even though he's not being specific, I can still work out what's going to happen where while it's happening and it's ruining any sort of surprise that might come along with it. (RAAAAR) So I've gotten a little sensitive about giving anything away if people haven't read the books. :p

Dead Man Wade
2015-02-22, 04:20 PM
Finished Silver Screen Fiend. Started Neil Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane.

HeavyArms
2015-03-14, 11:56 AM
Picked up Tomb Raider and the Ten Thousand Immortals at my local book store, which I can't read until I've played the reboot and a bunch of the previous games.

Sades
2015-04-02, 01:53 AM
We DVR'd today's Sesame Street, and started watching it this evening.They had a segment called "Game of Chairs" that was a spoof of Game of Thrones.

Yeah, I totally just had a bit of the book spoiled for me by Sesame Street.

Notabot
2015-04-02, 02:03 AM
Big Bird got beheaded? Saw that one coming. He crossed Ernie one too many times.

Sades
2015-04-02, 02:37 AM
Can't find a video, so here's the link on the Muppet Wiki: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones

It was weiiiiird.

inflatable dalek
2015-04-03, 01:17 PM
I don't normally read history, but when I went to see the Magna Carta exhibition at the British library (sadly no mention of The King's Demons) I picked up the accompanying book.

It's a period of history I really knew nothing about beyond the basics- it turns out Maid Marion was mostly a work of fiction- so it's was actually a very interesting tour and subsequent read. With all the infighting (we talk about THE British Civil War, so there basically being a twenty year one in the 13th century was a surprise), violence and sex it's basically Game of Thrones without the dragons.

It's also fascinating to think how Magna Carta was basically drawn up to protect the rich and powerful first and foremost and was almost immediately nullified by the Pope (who became Britain's Feudal Overlord for the totally hilarious price of 666 a year), it's legacy would have horrified everyone involved in its creation and just goes to show how you never can predict what your impact on the future will be. Maybe this post will one day be seen as a defining moment of world wide liberty?

And because I can't get this out of my head, I must share it with the rest of you:

XTWQzF1027I

Sades
2015-04-08, 05:55 AM
Can't find a video, so here's the link on the Muppet Wiki: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones

It was weiiiiird.

They have the video up! It was the Joffery bit. Hound was there, and he laughed at me when he realised what had happened. :o dhWUFXvaZjo

Sades
2015-04-16, 09:28 PM
Finally done listening to book 2. On to A Storm Of Swords. Just put the baby down for her nap. TIME TO REEEAAAAD

HeavyArms
2015-05-02, 03:27 PM
The Ables by Jeremy Scott.

I don't know if anybody here knows about the CinemaSins channel on YouTube, but the co-creator and narrator of that channel wrote a book about a group of kids with super powers that are otherwise disabled.

Dead Man Wade
2015-05-08, 12:17 PM
Reading the munchkin Harry Potter on nights the wife is off, and The Princess Bride when she's working. I haven't touched Ocean at the End of the Lane in a while, as most days are spent keeping the kid from sticking things in the outlets.

Denyer
2015-05-08, 06:25 PM
Wire up something that looks like an outlet but is just enough batteries in series to make the point.

HeavyArms
2015-05-23, 02:01 PM
Picked up the Lego Star Wars Mini-figure Dictionary: Updated & Expanded mainly because of what came in it.

Notabot
2015-05-23, 08:21 PM
mainly because of what came in it.
Words. They are indeed awesome, but they tend to come in most books.

I'm on the final disc of the final Game of Thrones book, and Grandpa Martin's just messing with us now. Aaaargh!

Sades
2015-05-26, 10:17 PM
I finally got to the point in the book where Joffrey choked, hahaha. Knew it was coming, so it was more of a "oh, so that's how it happened" moment than anything else. Ditto Red Wedding.

Notabot
2015-05-26, 10:19 PM
I just finished the last existing book. Aaaargh! Great book, lots of stuff happening, and lots of stuff I did not see coming.

Except winter. I had kind of expected that winter was coming. One of the characters had foreshadowed that briefly in book 2. :)

inflatable dalek
2015-05-29, 04:25 PM
I've just finished reading The Battle For Bond, about the legal wraggles between Ian Flemming and Kevin McClory over the authorship of Thunderball. Mostly a fascinating read (the chapters about the actual making of Thunderball take up to much of the book to tell well documented elsewhere anecdotes that don't really relate to the main subject).

McClory was clearly as dodgy as hell, but equally genuinely wronged by Flemming and friends (as was the guy who did the actual writing of the proposed Bond movie that became the book, Jack Whittington. Him not seeing any money from either the final version of Thunderball or Never Say despite the screen credit and being key to McClory's court defence is one of the way's Kevin was a dodgy chancer), the documented evidence of Flemming lying in court makes for a rather sad read (ie: Saying he didn't regard there being any legal issues over the use of material from the script when letter's to his publisher had he warning of the possibility months beforehand). It's also interesting that the entire Shrublands sequence- which I like but which is also complete padding- was put into the book by Fleming to try and disguise/downplay the amount of other people's material he used.

It was also interesting that Fleming's idea for Domino- as an undercover English policewoman- was basically Gala Brand by another name (the final version being the suggestion of others. Confusingly they also changed the name of the character but Flemming changed it back for the book, again partly to try and make the source less obvious). She's really had no luck getting into the films has she?

McClory himself remains a fascinating figure throughout. As the book points out, he made so much money from the film of Thunderball that he was basically made for life and could have financed any film he wanted. But he blew it all on increasingly expensive and increasingly desperate attempts to cling onto that one injustice done to him years before. It'd make a great film, he even does the full on Citizen Kane thing of having a massive mansion (the one used at the end of Never Say Never for the pool) that's fallen into ruin and full of relics from his glory days.

HeavyArms
2015-05-30, 02:45 PM
Recently bought WWE 50, a book that details the 50-year history of the WWE.

Notabot
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyArms View Post
mainly because of what came in it.
Words. They are indeed awesome, but they tend to come in most books.

Meh, it's really all about pictures and the mini-figure.

Sades
2015-06-02, 10:34 PM
Finally finished book 3.

To my Mr. I say thusly: :smack: :smack: :smack: . YOU KNOW WHY. :p

Dead Man Wade
2015-06-05, 09:28 PM
Just finished reading the Princess Bride to the daughter, and I was reminded of two things that bugged the crap out of me. While the book adds several interesting bits to the story, Goldman's "I'm just abridging another guy's book" thing starts to wear thin after the second or third multi-page aside. More of the page count is devoted to the fake story of the book than to the book itself.

Additionally, while Buttercup could hardly be described as having a ton of agency in the film, she's even worse in the book. In the movie, she's just someone things happen to, but the book compounds this by having her be incredibly stupid as well. Most of her dialogue with Westley consisted of questions and "But I don't understand. Oh, Westley, please explain it to me." Great frickin' role model.

Summerhayes
2015-06-11, 04:24 PM
Well, if I ever had any intention of reading TPB you've just put me right off. I was already worried it would tarnish my rose-tinted memories of the film.

I've recently finished The Lovely Bones. It was an emotional experience and a difficult read in places but also quite beautiful. I'm glad I read it.

Dead Man Wade
2015-06-13, 07:37 PM
Well, don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like about the book. It builds upon the characters and concepts in the movie quite well. Honestly, those're really the only two issues I have with the books. As long as one skips over the random asides Goldman makes and doesn't try to hold Buttercup as a role model, it's still a good (if much shorter) book.

inflatable dalek
2015-07-01, 08:02 PM
Terome of this parish has self published a collection of his (well, two other people are involved, but they don't post here and thus aren't as cool) Shark of Wisdom comics:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shark-Of-Wisdom-Omnibus-indie-comic/121687625379?_trksid=p3693.c100102.m2452&_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140212121249%26meid%3D3b13afce6f054617a662e0101622f33d%26pid%3D100102%26

It's completely nuts (probably not one for people who like a linear plot), giving you all the experience of LSD without having to take any LSD. The Gazza Strip chapter especially tickled me for its full on insanity. If you like his posts, it's well worth a punt.

If you don't like his posts, it's worth a punt so as to make him rich and stop him caring about this place any more.

HeavyArms
2015-08-08, 03:13 PM
A YouTube personality, Colleen Ballinger recently released an in-character (Miranda Sings) 'self help' book titled Selp-Helf, a copy of which recently found it's way in to my possession.

Heinrad
2015-08-08, 11:51 PM
In a surprise move, the local mall got the Go! Calandar Store in very early(usually they show up in October), and this time, along with lots of calendars, gifts, and assorted Doctor Who stuff(Doctor Who Monopoly? Doctor Who Trivial Pursuit? Really BBC? Really?), they got in a lot of books. Some bargain, some not. So I picked up.....

Tales of Ancient Egypt, by Roger Lancelyn Green

and

Doctor Who: The Drosten's Curse, by A.L. Kennedy. Drosten's Curse looks like it's set during the Fourth Doctor's era(from the description of the Doctor I found), but some of the things said or thought by the Doctor and lack of a companion, plus the description of the collapsed and unconscious Doctor lying in a multi-coloured heap after he passes out initially made me think Sixth Doctor. Admittedly this is after a quick skim.

another tf fan
2015-08-24, 03:14 PM
Just finished Rick Perlstien's The Invisible Bridge; the fall of Nixon and the Rise of Reagan.

It was as good as his previous book, Nixonland.

Denyer
2015-08-24, 05:10 PM
A YouTube personality, Colleen Ballinger recently released an in-character (Miranda Sings) 'self help' book titled Selp-Helf, a copy of which recently found it's way in to my possession.

Not my cup of tea, but enjoyed Hannah Hart's (and would be interested in something more prose than captioned photos). Mamrie Hart's (which is prose) wasn't bad but suffers a bit for being autobiography from someone who isn't particularly old. Just started Felicia Day's. Contemplating picking up a copy of Neil Patrick Harris's, which is done in the style of a gamebook.

Sades
2015-11-11, 10:31 PM
Finally finished The Winds of Winter, am now sad I don't have a go-to book for those periods when I want to read. But at least now I can "binge-watch" Game of Thrones without wondering if doing so will spoil anything.

Sades
2015-11-11, 10:41 PM
The Winds of Winter

Apparently I own a TARDIS. A Dance With Dragons, you dumbass.

Edit: Was lent a copy of The Enchantress of Florence. Sounds "interesting" (oh ho ho ho, Goodreads). Therein: Problem solved!

inflatable dalek
2016-01-16, 02:09 PM
Just finished BRIAN BLESSED'S autobiography. I was initially worried by the "With" credit for another writer on the copyright page, but it's very clear from the text that--other than inserting the odd bit of clarification (I can't imagine Brian knows or cares Anthony Coburn went on to write the first Doctor Who story for example) this is clearly just transcripts of long rambling monologues done with Brian with almost no alteration at all.

And it's brilliant.

Exhausting (especially if you follow the advice he gives at the start and imagine his voice at all times), but brilliant.

As with many actorly autobiographies it's basically about how great the subject is; he's always giving people advice that is always right, and he seems to constantly be having to keep the heavy boozers of the '70's in check with threats of a beating (he seems to have gotten a few gigs simply because no one else could make Peter O'Toole behave). But because it's Brian Blessed you accept every word of it.

Indeed, you accept everything he says even though if anyone else was saying it you'd assume it was a massive piss take. You can remember being born Brian? OK, I'll accept that. You can read people's minds when in a meditative trance? Well, why not. You gave Hong Kong back to Chinese rather than just hosting the show? Sure. You're really a very subtle and quiet actor who finds it a challenge to be bigger than life? Hmm.

And of course, the Flash Gordon chapter is glorious. My favourite story being helping Max Von Sydow (who he had of course given exactly the right advice to earlier on how to play Ming) deal with a young naked woman in his dressing room bath that wanted to be ravaged by evil.

It's actually heartwarming how much he embraces the whole "GORDON'S ALIVE" thing, considering it's not a film he's dependent on (though he's also quite cheerful about the fact that most actors want to be in Star Wars and Harry Potter because doing the signing circuit is a good pension plan) he greets demands for it from sources as varied as a Russian submarine crew at the magnetic North Pole to David Cameron having him shout it at the cabinet to people just doing it in the street with love.

I hadn't realised how much of a Star Wars fan he was as well (though he assures us he never dressed as a "Bloody Wookie"), and his enthusiasm for making the Phantom Menace and having long chats with George Lucas about space and time almost made me forget what an awful film it is (though we do once again get confirmation that Lucas doesn't bother to direct actors. Though with Blessed that's not much of a problem).

Only real shame is there's no mention of Blake's 7 (which, considering he plays a character who shouts so loud he explodes I expected to be a shoe in) or Doctor Who (beyond an anecdote about knocking out Peter Capaldi when making Tom Jones).

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen him talk about Mindwarp despite usually being very up for talking heads stuff, does he not have good memories of it?

HeavyArms
2016-03-12, 11:38 AM
Picked up Star Wars: Before the Awakening, an anthology book that acts as a prelude to The Force Awakens, focusing on Finn, Poe Dameron and Rey. It's fairly short and has illustrations for some of the scenes.

HeavyArms
2016-03-19, 12:54 PM
Found a Lego Batman Visual Dictionary from 2012 recently at Big W, which included an Electro-suit Batman mini-figure.

Patapsco
2016-04-17, 07:42 PM
Just finished 'Titanic: Minute by Minute' and it pains me greatly that Cameron wrote a ridiculous cross class relationship to be the narrative driving force of his movie while there were many more stories equally as tragic that he could have adapted for it. In fact if Cameron had just updated A Night To Remember, then it would have been the definitive movie.

As for the book, it starts at midnight on the night of the sinking and proceeds all the way until the ship hits the bottom of the Atlantic, piecing together inquiry transcripts, books, articles and almost every single quote given by the survivors and weaves it into an intelligble timeline. There's a point, I think when Lightoller finally launches his first lifeboat when the sheer enormity of what's actually happening sink in, and then it becomes a horror story.

If you've done any sort of studying on the subject, a lot of the material is going to be familiar but there are some things that even I didn't know about including the sole Japanese survivor who was sacked from his job, ridiculed in every single newspaper and had his name and picture associated with the dictionary definition of dishonourable all because he got in a lifeboat. Oh and the lookout who saw the iceberg when it was too late? Killed himself after being mocked about it for years

Thoroughly recommended

Heinrad
2016-04-30, 06:06 AM
Picked up 25 books from The Destroyer series at a place called The ReStore(thrift shop meets furniture meets used stuff store), and am thoroughly enjoying them.

inflatable dalek
2016-06-01, 07:58 PM
Finally reading one of the Poirot books I picked up cheap last year. I've seen the TV version of Death in the Clouds but can't recall who did it, and for the most part it's an enjoyable light fourth wall leaning (one of the characters is a mystery writer who complains to Poirot how he's given his detectives all these quirks he's obliged to keep up by the readers despite being bored of them) book.

Now, I know with Christie there are elements of racial attitudes that have dated badly (though there's an odd dichotomy between that and a general mockery of the British distrust of foreigners, in this book the jury at an inquest decide Poirot must have done it for being One Of Them), but there was a really distracting line in this one where two characters who are presented as likeable go out on a date together and bond over their likes and dislikes. To paraphrase (but pretty close):

"The discovered they both like smoked salmon, hated red nail varnish, liked Katherine Hepburn and both disliked Negroes".

Which is a real take you out the book moment and is actually worse than anything in And Then There Were None under it's original title would have been (it uses a now offensive word repeatedly but doesn't make judgement calls on black people).

Denyer
2016-06-01, 09:46 PM
Kind of have the opposite issue with things like Doctor Who that make out the past was happier than it actually was, or not putting texts on syllabuses due to blinkered historical world views. Like early LOEG for the same reasons. People forget about US internment camps, criminalising adult relationships, etc. far too easily.

Skyquake87
2016-06-02, 07:37 PM
^Agreed. I remember all that fuss over Tintin in the Congo when that was re-presented to the public. The attitudes and realities of the past aren't something that should be glossed over or forgotten, and yes, somethings like Christie's lines on those funny coloured folk may make you balk (and rightly so), but you only have to dial the UK back 30 years ago to remember such attitudes were still pretty prevalent, to say nothing about our current mistrust of anyone from the EU coming over here and taking all our benefits.

Heh, reminds me of a line from Accident Man in Toxic!, where the title character is setting up an elaborate political sting and goes to see an old lady in a nursing home "like most people of her generation, this turkey-necked trollop is a complete racist".

inflatable dalek
2016-06-02, 07:42 PM
I wasn't suggesting the book should be edited (though doing a version of And Then There Were None that doesn't make you vomit repeatedly was a sensible move, especially as it had different titles/rhymes in the UK and US when it was first published anyway, there is no set text), just that it was a random appalling bit of writing in an otherwise charming little book.

inflatable dalek
2016-06-03, 02:34 PM
Though in the end...

One of the "Negro" haters is the killer. And also really South African which explains a lot...

HeavyArms
2016-06-18, 03:11 PM
Picked up LEGO DC Comics Super Heroes Character Encyclopedia, which also talks about the sets released since the theme started in 2006. Also, includes Pirate Batman, a mace and a sword.

inflatable dalek
2016-07-01, 02:56 PM
Finished The Man With the Golden Typewriter: The Ian Fleming James Bond Letters.

Really a must read for anyone with the mechanics of writing whether they like Bond or not. The constant fighting with agents and publishers (he basically has to try and twist their arms into big print runs even after Bond is a success) are a great curtain lifting insight into the process, with Fleming being a natural wit stopping it being dull and dry.

The interaction with fan mail and the extent to which it is just a slower twitter is good fun as well. Having to tell people that no, he didn't steal the title of Live and Let Die from their husband; politely dealing with lengthy lists of factual errors (my favourite is him sending a free copy of the Spy Who Loved Me to one such person as a thanks for their insight, only to get a reply pointing out all the factual errors in that); suggestions that Diamonds Are Forever should have more bondage (ho ho) and even a death threat. I especially like the Scottish minister who considers reading to be sinful and books evil, but who is still upset that his local library has banned From Russia With Love.

And at its heart is a man who never quite believes he's good enough and covers it up with a lot of bluster but probably died thinking all he'd done was make a modest amount of money and nothing else of worth.

And the fact his spelling (he gets the name of his own son wrong. Repeatedly) and grammar are awful gives me great hope as a writer. There's a lot of "Maybe you shouldn't start every sentence with "And" Ian" letters from frustrated editors in there.

HeavyArms
2016-11-26, 04:05 PM
The Star Wars books Aftermath: Life Debt & Bloodline.

Hound
2016-11-26, 05:40 PM
Just bought vol.1 of the Ultraman manga

HeavyArms
2017-01-07, 02:41 PM
Recently bought the Star Wars book Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel, which acts as a way to give additional character development that the movie doesn't.

Warcry
2017-04-25, 03:29 AM
I just finished reading Revenger by Alastair Reynolds. It's about treasure hunters, space pirates and (as one would expect) vengeance and how far one woman is willing to go to get it. If you've read anything by Reynolds before you've got a pretty good idea what to expect from him: hard sci-fi with a ton of thoughtful world-building, often coming at the expense of character, story or resolution. But I have to give the man credit, he's really improved his craft over the years. Revenger creates a universe full of mystery and wonder without the dense exposition and frankly hilarious "everything in this book is scientifically plausible and here's a two-page essay to prove it!" digressions that has plagued some of his earlier books, just by having us view the world through the eyes of the protagonist. The characters are believable and sympathetic, the story is gripping, and honestly this might be the best thing he's ever written.

Blitzwing
2017-04-25, 05:30 PM
After the awesome trailer for the new "It" movie, I decided to start re-reading the novel for the first time in over ten years. I'm about 300 pages (of 1100) in and I am loving it. It feels like I'm being reunited with old friends that I haven't seen in a long time. Stephen King does an amazing job of making the characters feel like real people with hopes, dreams and fears.

HeavyArms
2017-07-08, 03:11 PM
Found a copy of Star Wars Battlefront: Twilight Company at a Best Books 4 Less this week.

Heinrad
2017-07-23, 01:00 PM
Around 1990, Warner Bros., wanting to capitalize on the success of Batman, started putting out novels, I'm guessing based on how well the Further Adventures of Batman and Further Adventures of the Joker anthology books did. And for some unknown reason, they only did three books. (As a side note, they seemed to do it again when Batman Begins came out, but this time without the anthologies. Just three. Geez, guys, do more, would you?). Thanks to time, illness, and moving, the only one I'd been able to hang on to of those halcyon days of '90 is The Batman Murders, by Craig Shaw Gardener. And thanks to Amazon, I've finally been able to replace the other two.

Batman: Captured by the Engines by Joe R. Lansdale was, oddly enough, not my introduction to Lansdale(that was Subway Jack from the first Batman anthology), and it's an interesting horror story.

Batman: To Stalk a Specter by Simon Hawke. Unlike Lansdale, I don't think I'd heard of this guy before or since. And if I'm remembering it correctly, this is also the book that taught me that it only takes 3 pounds of pressure to shatter a knee joint.

HeavyArms
2017-12-09, 01:41 PM
Star Wars Battlefront: Inferno Squad.

Elita-2
2017-12-11, 07:47 AM
Anyone here read "The Name of the Wind"? i just finshed that one. it was a good book, made me laugh a few times.