PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro releases: Prime Wars, Titans Return, Robots in Disguise, Masterpiece, etc. toys

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Tetsuro
2015-05-25, 11:21 PM
If I were you I'd wait until Kapow gets their in/up for preorder, for shipping within Europe etc. That would avoid all customs charges ;)
I'm not seeing any of the other Platinum reissues on Kapow tho, pre-order or otherwise.

The only thing that bothers me, is that like the other platinum reissues, I can see the box being preposterously large for no good reason.
Other than for the purposes of display. The original was in a kind of semi-transformed state in the packaging so it'd take as little space as possible, wasn't it?

Skyquake87
2015-05-26, 08:19 AM
Kapow are pretty much sold out on the Platinum reissues. I think they're doing restocks of the Insecticons and Coneheads, but (I've been told), the Blitzwing and Astrotrain set was produced in lower numbers (presumably due to the choice of colours) and they are unable to get any further stock of that set. Which is annoying, as all other UK retailers don't have it either, and ebay prices are a bit steep (70 +).

Trypticon did come split down the middle in his original box (which was a hefty, but sensible size), but these new reissues come in boxes that are insanely large in comparison to the toys inside. I'll try get some pics when my camera battey has finished cooking. I'm not a fan of wasteful packaging.

Tetsuro
2015-05-27, 11:06 AM
Oh look, it's out of stock on kapow already.

Skyquake87
2015-05-27, 01:42 PM
...am i reading that right - a pre-order is out of stock...?

Tetsuro
2015-05-27, 02:23 PM
Probably same as "sold out". It's not letting me pre-order it, that's for sure.

EDIT: Robotkingdom has him for pretty much the same price, but RK ships from HK, so there's that customs issue...

Tetsuro
2015-06-02, 01:43 AM
Well that would explain that - according to Kapow's facebook page, they only had 60 units available to begin with.

Tantrum
2015-06-04, 01:57 AM
Toys R Us has listings now for Quickslinger and Brake-Neck. Brake-Neck makes me think the colors are mis-adjusted on my monitor. Looks like a terrible digibash.I think Brake-Neck's just a bad photo. Other pics make his colors look pretty decent. I am a bit bummed that they based him off the Dead-End version of the mold. If BN had been based on the Streetwise retool, it would have added a bit more variety to the Stunticons.

Ryan F
2015-06-09, 08:56 PM
Probably old news, but according to Seibertron.com, the UK won't be getting Combiner Wars wave 2, and will be skipping to wave 3.

Prediction: Cyclonus will be a shelfwarmer.

Skyquake87
2015-06-10, 07:06 PM
Sigh. Once, the UK was a shoe-in for at least waves 1 & 2 of most TF lines. I wonder if anyone at these Hasbro distribution hubs thinks about product assortments and what's been released where and whatnot. It would be interesting to find out the thought process that goes into these decisions.

I'll bet there'll be a fair few consumers annoyed that they can't complete Superion in his proper form. Or Menasor at all. One Stunticon. Cheers Hasbro, I'd give you a round of applause but you only shipped one of two hands to your European markets, so I cannot do clapping.

I'll bet wave 2 will show up at the usual clearance outlets then as 'grey imports' (whatever that means. I read someone using that on this forum and it sounded all clever, knowledgeable and fancy so I am using it also to pretend I am also clever, but am probably using it out of context), like all those other US packaged TFs that have shown up over here since 2009-ish.

Knightdramon
2015-06-10, 08:14 PM
I must say, depending on your viewpoint, this either sucks or it does not matter.

It does not matter if you buy online anyway, as you'd have gotten most of these dudes from an online store/US anyway.

It sucks if you are a child and looking forward to completing a set. I still remember the very bitter taste of realizing I could not get a G1 Megatron way back then [not a part of the gold heroes reissues in Europe in the 90ies], or realizing that the last waves of BW transmetals and TMII never made it to Greece. Thought bittersweet, combiner wars does endorse mix and matching...:p

The fact that they actually mixed the combiner limbs though is silly...now some folk are permanently stuck with a near complete Superior and a very incomplete Menasor...

Denyer
2015-06-20, 09:14 AM
After "Combiner Wars" comes "Titan Wars" apparently... including Fort Max and something that appears to be a Headmaster Blaster...

(Art for a CW Bruticus is also knocking around).

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/06/19/botcon-2015-get-ready-for-the-titan-wars-293516

http://i.imgur.com/azZTXiB.jpg

Knightdramon
2015-06-20, 10:33 AM
Folks have noticed that the lower arms look like Metroplex's---heavy remould?

Bruticus is stated to be a remould of Hot Spot [the visible part of the torso] but I can't see it on that one piece of artwork.

Blaster looks ok.

Denyer
2015-06-20, 11:19 AM
I'd guess same designer -- the tracks suggest a fairly different alt-mode. Too many shape differences (Max is more blocky) to be a straight remould.

Nothing really of interest so far.

Unicron
2015-06-20, 06:16 PM
Ok, bunch of interesting stuff out of the Hasbro Botcon panel. Incidently, a VP of Marketing at Hasbro shared a lot of panel pics via twitter, which is odd since supposedly no pictures were allowed. Here's a link (https://twitter.com/ThatJohnD)

As expected, official confirmation of CW Bruticus (with all the original members, including a new mold Brawl, and a Legends Shockwave to go with it)
Leader Skywarp
As found in store listings: Wheeljack, Smokescreen, Trailbreaker, and Hound as deluxe limbs. Strangely, they go with a new Voyager torso...
Speaking of that new Voyager... Goddamn Sky Lynx.

Denyer
2015-06-20, 06:48 PM
Sky Lynx looks awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/daim.choc/posts/663305077102332

http://i.imgur.com/aUI94CH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/s4vWxJ7.jpg

Knightdramon
2015-06-20, 07:10 PM
Sky Lynx does look great, and ironically so does the third/fourth repaint of Dead End as Prowl.

Combaticons all look great except for Blast Off.

The limbs that are paired with Sky Lynx are so forced it hurts.

If I ever get a CW figure, I think I'll just go crazy and mix n match whatever limbs I like the most, and call it a day :lol:

Denyer
2015-06-20, 07:18 PM
Which is ultimately the point -- done right (which it has been this time) it's a team gimmick that works for kids whatever's on the shelves.

Combiner War Bruticus / Combaticons pics, plus more Sky Lynx in case, Legends Shockwave, and various other bits.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/06/20/botcon-2015-hasbro-post-panel-case-pics-294031

Presumably the Takara Bruticus will look a lot better and might even do a more faithful Blast Off further on, based on what's happened with Groove.

Denyer
2015-06-20, 07:43 PM
"Optimus Maximus" pics...

https://www.facebook.com/daim.choc/posts/663312823768224

http://i.imgur.com/6GWzU2j.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LojDDb4.jpg

Unicron
2015-06-20, 07:48 PM
I'm digging the midget Shockwave, definitely snagging one of them even if I don't get Bruticus. Which I probably will, but as seems par for the course lately, I need to see Takara's version first.
I'm not betting on a new mold Blast Off from Takara yet, I think a more thorough retooling is a bit more likely, if they do anything. Repaint Blast Off isn't as 'egregious' as new members and Legends Groove, so I can see Takara just rolling with it.

Speaking of Shockwave... anyone else wanting a grey 'Shackwave' repaint?

I wonder if they'll go for the obvious G2 repaints for the Combaticons. Wonder how long till someone does a digibash.

Sky Lynx shall be mine. It's so out of nowhere that I need it. I'm a bit puzzled on the repaint/remold potential for him though. Then again I never expected Cyclonus out of Silverbolt so not even sure why I'd bother guessing at this point.

Disappointed by the lack of Technobot news, but they'll probably be later in 2016.

numbat
2015-06-20, 07:51 PM
Fortress Maximus could be interesting. Dunno where I'd keep another Titan Class figure though...

Denyer
2015-06-20, 07:53 PM
Catching up... Bruticus, legends and that G1 RID Grimlock redeco. Most of these photos have been courtesy of Eric Peterson BTW.

edit: Also the inevitable Starscream redeco from CW Jetfire/Thundercracker -- https://www.facebook.com/daim.choc/posts/663323610433812 (apparently there's a Skywarp as well, plus a legends Wreck-Gar...)

https://www.facebook.com/daim.choc/posts/663313007101539
https://www.facebook.com/daim.choc/posts/663320110434162
https://www.facebook.com/daim.choc/posts/663316427101197

http://i.imgur.com/Ivq4ZME.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WUyf1Wt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/r5bjgRl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kAeP3aj.jpg

edit: Pic that shows Buzsaw plus the Shrapnel repaint...

http://i.imgur.com/Ps5Iasj.jpg

Tantrum
2015-06-20, 08:22 PM
Sky Lynx shall be mine. It's so out of nowhere that I need it. I'm a bit puzzled on the repaint/remold potential for him though. Then again I never expected Cyclonus out of Silverbolt so not even sure why I'd bother guessing at this point.Maybe a griffin for Birdbrain for Monstructor. Slog as the Lengends class chest armor would recreate the G1 look. Granted, BB was beast to bot, not beast to vehicle. But, given the need for retools, and the uniqueness of the beast combiner torsos, they might have to reach for stuff like this.

Thunderwave
2015-06-20, 10:16 PM
You know, I'm really digging the combiner gimmick this time. I'm a sucker for them anyways but usually there are only a few teams so it's limited. With 3 teams on the shelves now, at least 3 more full teams on the way, plus all the random potential combiner team members floating about and on the way, it's really taking on a life of it's own that it hasn't had since the original "Scramble City" style combiners.

zigzagger
2015-06-21, 02:39 AM
Surprise, it's Sky Lynx! HasTak's mixing it up, and I kind of like it.

The Combaticons are fab too. Onslaught's sporting a pretty smart retool. There's not much Hot Spot left, is there? I'm not fussed by Blast Off being a jet, either. All the better to match with his team, I'd say. And Bruticus looks suitably bulky and imposing.

Yep, the Combaticons are totally doing it for me.

Could care less about the numerous Stunticon repaints, or that Nova Prime-esque Optimus redeco. Nope, sorry.

Optimus Maximus? Nope.

Hound's kinda neat, though. So are the mini-Chop Shop and the mini-Shockwave.

Blackjack
2015-06-21, 02:57 AM
Well damn the Sky Lynx looks positively great.

The Combaticons look good too, though already having a couple Brutici I don't think I'll be purchasing them.

Man I really need to get to hunting down these Combiner Wars toys...

Notabot
2015-06-21, 03:16 AM
I'm honestly surprised that they didn't retool Alpha Bravo into the space shuttle.

The white Optimus is pretty bland looking, but Sky Lynx is awfully cool. And here I thought I was drifting out of collecting. I try to get out, but they keep pulling me back in!

inflatable dalek
2015-06-21, 06:57 AM
Sky Lynx is insane, but brilliant. Unlike the combining Optimus Prime, which is insane but silly. Poor old IDW are going to have to have Starscream wave that combination McGuffin at a whole load of characters.

Thunderwave
2015-06-21, 12:02 PM
I'm entertained by the insane amount of retooling going on with these guys. Onslaught looks almost like an entirely new mold, Swindle/Hound are extensive retools of Rook it looks like given how the arms fold up and the chest wheels (although in all honesty they might of just made them with all new molds and kept the transformation).

Warcry
2015-06-21, 03:30 PM
This is probably the least-exciting BotCon reveal in a while for me, because there's a lot of "new" stuff on display but very little that's actually new or surprising. Practically everything is a redeco, or a remold, or a redeco of a remold. So Chop Shop is cute but I already own that toy as Shrapnel, Blast Off is nice but he's just a brownish Fireflight, etc...

Sky Lynx, however, is brilliant! I didn't see that coming at all and I'm 100% going to track him down. I actually might have liked him better as a Leader, which might have been able to split into the two distinct beast modes, but the Voyager they did make is pretty slick so I can't complain too much.

Brawl also looks pretty cool. Or at least, he does in the stock photos. The ones in the case photos are a lot more drab and less interesting. If the final product has the nice dark green, I may pick one up to hang out with my old Universe Onslaught. Same goes for Swindle, who's also pretty neat. Neither one are something I'd really go out of my way for, though.

Skyquake87
2015-06-21, 04:20 PM
Sky Lynx! Yay! He looks brilliant. Well up for that. Thanks Hasbro!

Lots of other stuff that looks neat there too - especially the Combaticons. Good stuff overall. Impressed :)

Tantrum
2015-06-21, 05:43 PM
I'd considered skipping red Optimus in hopes of a white repaint, but I'm glad I didn't. I hoped the stand-alone bot would resemble Ultra Magnus' cab bot, and the combined mode would resemble UM's full bot. This doesn't look like either.

Another idea for Sky-Lynx retool: Doubledealer. His alt mode would turn into his bird mode, and combine into his robot mode. The 6th member would be one of his engines.

I'm curious about that Legends class Buzzsaw, and if/how he combines into a gestalt.

They could've retooled Alpha Bravo into a shuttle by replacing the rear rotor piece with thrusters, and making the arms fold into wings. But, making the arms fold into wings would be tricky. And, the gestalt would have two very similar looking limbs. Air Raid only reuses half of Skydive, but I still use one as an arm and the other as a leg so that's less obvious.

Given that there's three new gestalts shown, there should've been more than 1 new Deluxe mold. So far, there's:

HELICOPTER: Alpha Bravo, Blades, Vortex*
HARRIER: Fireflight, Slingshot, Blastoff*
F14: Skydive, Air Raid

JEEP: Rook, Hound, Swindle*
TRUCK: Offroad*, First-aid, Trailbreaker, Ironhide
F1: Dragstrip*, Mirage
LAMBORGHINI: Breakdown*, Wheeljack, Sunstreaker
OTHER CAR: Dead-end*, Wildrider*, Streetwise, Smokescreen, Prowl

MOTORCYCLE: Groove
TANK: Brawl*

Bold = new, * = Decepticon

They need another car mold. I was hoping one of the Autobots, most likely Wheeljack, would give us an idea of the Lightspeed mold. They also shouldn't have made Prowl and Streetwise from the same mold. Does anyone want two police cars with identical transformations?

These figures all look good on their own. But having three gestalts full of retooled limbs might kill interest in CW before they get to the beasts. Doing an animal combiner, then pulling out the car repaints might have been a better idea.

Warcry
2015-06-21, 05:57 PM
These figures all look good on their own. But having three gestalts full of retooled limbs might kill interest in CW before they get to the beasts. Doing an animal combiner, then pulling out the car repaints might have been a better idea.
I completely agree. All the CW toys are fine, but unless you're super in love with combiners, you're not going to buy very many of them because they're all the same.

Abominus, Piranacon or Predaking would be a breath of fresh air right about now.

Skyquake87
2015-06-21, 06:07 PM
Given the distribution, we'll probably need all these recolours to complete a single gestalt over here...

Heinrad
2015-06-21, 06:18 PM
Definitely looking forward to the Combaticons and their little Shockwave. Sky Lynx looks interesting. Not sure about CW Ironhide, though. I was only planning to get Off Road if I could find Motormaster, and I haven't seen any Motormasters anywhere. Probably a good thing as I've just moved and money's a bit tight right now. I suppose it'll depend on how extensive the remold is.

electro girl
2015-06-21, 09:54 PM
Well I certainly wasn't expecting Skylynx.

Tantrum
2015-06-21, 10:24 PM
I completely agree. All the CW toys are fine, but unless you're super in love with combiners, you're not going to buy very many of them because they're all the same.

Abominus, Piranacon or Predaking would be a breath of fresh air right about now.Or Monstructor. If they do any beast gestalt, they'll probably do all of them to increase the possibilities of retools, like Wildfly from Cutthroat. The Pretender Monster legs were vague bipeds, so they could be made from Blot and Rippersnapper. The other arm was a quadriped, so maybe Rampage.

Abominus would be tricky, since Sinnertwin and Hungrr don't lend themselves to reuse. I don't know if the rigidity of size classes would allow for Divebomb's wing backpack. Maybe he'd have to be a 2nd Voyager for Predaking to work. His main body would be Deluxe sized, but he'd come with the giant backpack.

Of the 10 Deluxe molds announced so far, 7 were released in the first two combiners. Defensor is the only one since then to introduce two molds, and most people won't see both of those figures.

I made Ultra Prime with Protectobot limbs and noticed that the Deadend mold they're using 5 times really doesn't make that good of a leg. The underside of the hood just sticks out, looking out of place. The lambo has a similar problem, but at least it's chestplate covers the entire underside. DE/Streetwise just has a hole.

Warcry
2015-06-22, 01:45 AM
Or Monstructor. If they do any beast gestalt, they'll probably do all of them to increase the possibilities of retools, like Wildfly from Cutthroat. The Pretender Monster legs were vague bipeds, so they could be made from Blot and Rippersnapper. The other arm was a quadriped, so maybe Rampage.
Monstructor would be the easiest, yeah. Wildfly aside (and the glee that a Generations Wildfly would bring me cannot be overstated) I don't think you can really say what any of the Pretender Monster beast modes are, which makes it pretty simple to fudge them from existing molds. Of course, that also means that they'd have to make the three other beast combiners first so that they've got the molds to work with.

Of course, that's assuming they would base them on the inner robots and not the pretender shells, something that Hasbro's been pretty hit-or-miss about over the years.

Abominus would be tricky, since Sinnertwin and Hungrr don't lend themselves to reuse. I don't know if the rigidity of size classes would allow for Divebomb's wing backpack. Maybe he'd have to be a 2nd Voyager for Predaking to work. His main body would be Deluxe sized, but he'd come with the giant backpack.
If Sinnertwin borrows the transformation from his BH self he'd make a great Doublecross (though in beast mode Hun-grrr would be more apt, and honestly either would work). And with the level of remolding we've seen, it's just as likely that he'll himself be a redeco of one of the Predacons.

Divebomb is a bit of a puzzler. On the one hand, he's likely to share a mold with Cutthoat and Wildfly, because that's how this line has gone. But on the other hand, you're right about the detaching wings. If they're going to stick to the one Voyager, three Deluxe, one Legend format for the teams, the only way Divebomb fits nicely into that paradigm is as a Legend that turns into Predaking's wings. But then they'd need to invent another Predacon and find something else to reuse Legends Divebomb as.

Although with all five members sharing the same colours, it's also possible that they go the box set route with Predaking and sidestep the problem entirely. I doubt they will (it sounds like this "Titan Wars" stuff will fill out next year's big-ticket slots) but it would make the most sense. Unfortunately that would probably also lead to them being cut-rate garbage like Devastator.

inflatable dalek
2015-06-22, 02:02 AM
I'd like them to make one train-bot and remould it six times to make Raiden.

Tantrum
2015-06-22, 03:05 AM
Monstructor should probably follow the inner-robots to recreate the color scheme of G1 combiner look. There's some wiggle room in design, though. Icepick's inner robot is one of those vague bipeds. A retool of Blot, with the giant beast claws, could homage both the inner robot (in color scheme) and the shell (in design)

A Legends figure wouldn't be big enough to form Predaking's wings. When I was a kid, and first saw the catalog photo of G1 Predaking, I thought the eagle was the torso and the lion face was detachable. Maybe that'd work. G1 Razorclaw was pretty similar to G1 Rampage, so he could work as a retool. Divebomb and Razorclaw are both mostly black, so Predaking's color scheme wouldn't be affected much. I'd much rather see Divebomb stay an arm, and be a 2nd Voyager, but I don't know if Hasbro would break their pattern like that.

Selkadoom
2015-06-23, 09:38 AM

Very true yet at the same time id love to see a new Abominus as its coming up on 30 years since his one and only toy.

Notabot
2015-06-23, 04:21 PM
Very true yet at the same time id love to see a new Abominus as its coming up on 30 years since his one and only toy.

Clay might disagree that it's been 30 years. (Can't find the pictures to prove it.)

Selkadoom
2015-06-23, 07:43 PM
Clay might disagree that it's been 30 years. (Can't find the pictures to prove it.)

Is it a custom one? Because as I recall he only had an official release of sorts in 87

Skyquake87
2015-06-23, 07:45 PM
There was the Prime Legends Class Abominus (which was terrible) made out of 5 Legends Class Terrorcons (which were great).

inflatable dalek
2015-06-23, 07:47 PM
There's the Prime Abominus. Technically not the same character, but based on how it clogged shelves it was only bought by mad fans who treated it as a G1 proxy.

EDIT: How did Skyquake sneak in first?

Skyquake87
2015-06-23, 08:58 PM
By being sneaky...and having a quick remembererer

Selkadoom
2015-06-23, 09:22 PM
There was the Prime Legends Class Abominus (which was terrible) made out of 5 Legends Class Terrorcons (which were great).

My mistake than, was not aware we had a Prime one

numbat
2015-06-24, 12:06 PM
Good fun to play with though, even if the combined mode is awful...

Clay
2015-06-24, 07:21 PM

Did someone mention Abomini?

Ha, I'm waiting for the last parts of the big third party Abominus to show up before I do a full horde photoshoot. It'll be epic.

Ryan F
2015-06-24, 09:00 PM
It's just occurred to me that CW Breakdown was envisaged as a Sunstreaker from the get-go (sorry if this is really obvious, I admit I'm a bit slow on the uptake).

Breakdown's hand/foot weapon is totally sculpted to look like Sunstreaker's engine vent thingy. If you look at the back of Breakdown, there's a little rectangular hole behind the spoiler, and a little rectangular peg on the 'thumb' of the giant hand. Plug the two together (there are little pegs on the roof also) and you have a classic Sunstreaker-looking car mode.

Skyquake87
2015-06-24, 09:13 PM
Indeed, and you can see a picture of the Sunstreaker repaint of Breakdown on p14 of this thread (although comically, the fisty gun is stuck on like what I did in my review of Breakdown, losing the familiar 'turbo tuning' intake look what Streaky has)

Unicron
2015-06-25, 06:25 PM
US Amazon listing for CW Devastator (http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Generations-Combiner-Devastator-Figure/dp/B00SOFZF08)

Giving an August 1st release date, and retail price of $149.99

Skyquake87
2015-06-25, 07:10 PM
The more I look at them, the less I like them. Which is a shame as I really like the Constructicons :(

Unicron
2015-06-25, 07:40 PM
They're not perfect but I think they're a solid update to the originals, and I would have already pulled the trigger on a pre-order if it weren't for Takara blatantly doing them better, like with most of the CW stuff thus far.

Ryan F
2015-06-26, 12:15 PM
They're not perfect but I think they're a solid update to the originals, and I would have already pulled the trigger on a pre-order if it weren't for Takara blatantly doing them better, like with most of the CW stuff thus far.

Yeah, same here: I'm loving the Combiner Wars so far and will definitely plump for a Devastator - but I'll be waiting for pre-orders of the Takara version to go live, rather than go the Hasbro route.

Unicron
2015-06-26, 02:58 PM
Yeah, same here: I'm loving the Combiner Wars so far and will definitely plump for a Devastator - but I'll be waiting for pre-orders of the Takara version to go live, rather than go the Hasbro route.
Yeah, I was all set to get the Hasbro set but then Takara had to show pictures: proper weapons for each Con, paint choices looked a little better (haven't done a serious comparison yet though, elbows...

Tantrum
2015-06-27, 04:36 AM
There's a comic drawing of Victorion, the female combiner, at the wiki (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Victorion), among other places. She looks to be made of remolded Hot Spot, 2 Alpha Bravos, Dead End, and another limb I can't see. The text mentions a motorcycle, which is presumably Legends Groove. I might pick up a few members of this team, but it's hard to see myself getting too excited about a 4th and 5th version of the same helicopter.

I'm surprised they don't just do an all seeker combiner, with Starscream as the torso. Use Thundercracker, Skywarp, Acid Storm, and Sunstorm as the limbs and they can sell the same mold 4 times without even needing a conehead retool. Make a Dirge/Ramjet mold for guns, and use Thrust for chest armor.

EQWW
2015-06-27, 08:03 AM
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Denyer
2015-06-27, 11:03 AM
What's that? Timmy's trapped down the old mine shaft? Again?

HeavyArms
2015-06-27, 05:03 PM
Skylynx is a surprising yes.
The Combaticons are a definite yes.
Shockwave seems like an interesting little idea for an add-on, maybe we'll get a Megatron retool out of him.
I think that will be it for this wave, hopefully we'll get this wave in Australia.

Denyer
2015-07-09, 07:38 AM
Prowl's helped by a good head sculpt (lots of other pics as well) --

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/07/08/sdcc-2015-transformers-combiner-wars-at-hasbro-booth-preview-night-296016

Skyquake87
2015-07-09, 08:22 PM
Sky Lynx looks proper brill. I like the look of the Combaticons too, the colours look really good on them :)

Warcry
2015-07-09, 09:12 PM
So, SDCC is today...

That's a lot of G2... (http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/07/09/sdcc-2015-hasbro-transformers-thursday-combiner-wars-case-296344)

I wonder if Superion and Menasor are box-sets, or if they'll be individually sold? I'd totally grab a G2 Skydive and Slingshot.

LOL to Scattershot just having Superion's head (and apparently no other Technobots to go with him?)

And that fan-built combiner is just hideous.

Denyer
2015-07-09, 10:01 PM
Surprised they seem to be winding down CW so early with this tossed together crap. It really is a scramble to get as many repaints and slight remoulds out before people get completely sick of them, isn't it?

And there goes much hope of "Betatron" turning out well.

Warcry
2015-07-09, 10:07 PM
Yeah, that's a pretty big disappointment for sure. A lot of people were looking forward to the Technobots, myself included. But no, lets do solid waves of repaints that vaguely look like G1 cars instead. That'll surely sell better than an actual combiner team that folks are salivating for!

Apparently the Hasbro panel let slip that there are no plans for Predaking or any of the other beast combiners either. So it certainly looks like CW is just going to die with a whimper and a whole lot of unrealized potential.

Sades
2015-07-09, 10:28 PM
Oh good, looks like I won't have to worry too much about us overspending then...

Unicron
2015-07-09, 10:52 PM
Aw dammit! That Scattershot is a horrible disappointment. Poor Technobots never get any love.
I had hoped all those Autobot car repaints were just filler for after the Protectobots and before the Combaticons and another round of classic gestalts like Computron. Unless something weird happens, that's sadly not going to be the case.

I kind of dig the G2 Aerialbots. Not enough to get the set, but maybe Slingshot, if they're individually available. The Grey/red Powerglide is a bit of an oddity. Wonder if that's to be a new character or someone I can't remember right now.
Wonder if this means we'll get G2 Defensor and Bruticus too.

I don't know if it's the color choices in general, or the unified scheme over the entire team but man Victorion just looks terrible. It doesn't help that two of the limbs are the bloody Alpha Bravo mold, with mirror image alt mode color schemes.

Tantrum
2015-07-09, 11:35 PM
So far, I count 39 CW Deluxes using a grand total of 10 molds (VL= Victorion Limb):

HELICOPTER (5): Alpha Bravo, Blades, Vortex*, VL1, VL2
HARRIER (5): Fireflight G1 & G2, Slingshot G1 & G2, Blastoff*
F14 (4): Skydive G1 & G2, Air Raid G1 & G2

JEEP (3): Rook, Hound, Swindle*
TRUCK (4): Offroad*, First-aid, Trailbreaker, Ironhide
F1 (3): Dragstrip G1* & G2*, Mirage
LAMBORGHINI (5): Breakdown G1* & G2*, Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, VL3
OTHER CAR (8): Dead-end G1* & G2*, Wildrider G1* & G2*, Streetwise, Smokescreen, Prowl, VL4

MOTORCYCLE (1): Groove
TANK (1): Brawl*

Bold = significant retool, * = Decepticon

I've got 14 so far (5 Airialbots, 5 Stunticons, 4 Protectobots). I plan to get the Combaticons. I'd like Groove, but don't know if I'd like him enough to rebuy figures I already have at import prices.

Some of the random Autobots look good. I don't have a non-Kreo Mirage, so I'll probably get him. Sunstreaker for the clever use of the fist-foot, Wheeljack because I really like Wheeljack. Maybe Hound if I like the color more than the Classics version. That's 23 max, less than 60%, and I really like combiners. Is anyone planning to get more than that?

There's 12 Voyagers with 4 molds:
JET (4): Silverbolt G1 & G2, Cyclonus*, Scattershot
SEMI-TRUCK (4): Motormaster G1* & G2*, Optimus Red & White
LONG TRUCK (3): Hot Spot, Onslaught*, Victorion
SKY LYNX (1): Sky Lynx

I've got G1 Silverbolt & Motormaster and red Optimus. I'll get Hot Spot, Onslaught, Sky Lynx, and probably Cyclonus. That's also just under 60%. Maybe if I get all 23 Deluxes I'm thinking about, I'll grab another just to finish of a gestalt. But, it'd have to be a sale, or put me over the limit for free shipping, or something.

Scattorshot looks pretty good in robot mode. But, the gaps in the wings just emphasise the fact that they didn't even bother trying to fold the arms away in plane mode. If they'd given him Computron's head and retooled the gestalt chest a bit, I might've considered him, even without the other Technobots.

Victorion just looks awful. The comic images I saw made her colors look like she had a less garish version of the Seacon palette, which I liked. Those photos just make her and her components look bad. They also dropped the fist-feet, but it looks like the individual components' weapons comine into the gestalt weapon.

Apparently the Hasbro panel let slip that there are no plans for Predaking or any of the other beast combiners either. So it certainly looks like CW is just going to die with a whimper and a whole lot of unrealized potential.

By the time they get through 9 waves of CW vehicles, there'll probably be another movie coming out that they'll be focusing on. Maybe they just meant there's no plans now. I hope the next time they need a filler line to sell between movies, they think of beast CW.

Of course, when the 4th through 8th versions of these molds end up going straight to TJ Maxx because nobody wants that many versions of one toy, that'll probably convince Hasbro that people don't like combiners that much, after all.

As disappointing as this is for fans, I'm actually starting to feel bad for the designers, too. If you're the type of person who chose to make TF toy design your life's work, you can't be too excited about figuring out the 4th tweak to the CW Lambo chest design.

Thunderwave
2015-07-10, 02:06 AM
I never thought I'd say this but...man that fan built combiner's colors are ugly as sin. I -love- gaudy/ugly color schemes but that one is just -bad-.

DinoBoss
2015-07-10, 07:32 PM
Didnt know where else to post this but Machinima are making a Combiner Wars animated series that will target teens and adults. Im really looking forward to to this!!! Source: screenrant.com

Skyquake87
2015-07-10, 08:46 PM
All those colours make my eye hurt, that entire slideshow looked like a big psychedelic sick. That said, I like the G2 Stunticons...and that's all.

The Perceptor and Blaster reissue set looks pretty good, but Blaster's a crappy toy and there's only the Cassettes I'd be interested in (and...no Rewind?!) and as much as I like Perceptor, I don't know that I need another one.Hmm (I am so going to end buying this set).

Clay
2015-07-11, 01:23 AM
So, SDCC is today...

That's a lot of G2... (http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/07/09/sdcc-2015-hasbro-transformers-thursday-combiner-wars-case-296344)

I wonder if Superion and Menasor are box-sets, or if they'll be individually sold? I'd totally grab a G2 Skydive and Slingshot.

The blip I read said that they'd be boxed sets along with Victorion thing. Which is cool, because that trumps scattering the parts across multiple waves no matter how silly the combiner looks.

Knightdramon
2015-07-11, 05:59 PM
Potential Titan Wars Blaster release here (http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/07/11/rumor-possible-titan-wars-blaster-toy-image-296833).

Looks like Hasbro is going with playsets for the coming year.

Liking the G2 combiner repaints, though a retro boxset like the one on FOC G2 Bruticus would have been awesome.

Victorion will probably be easier on the eyes on a proper, factory painted colours instead of the hand-painted high gloss test shot. Liking her combiner hands and legs.

Denyer
2015-07-11, 10:30 PM
Looks like Blaster'll fill a not-quite-MP niche for a lot of people.

I don't dislike the Scattorshot robot mode... it's the combiner chest that suffers. Wouldn't mind a representational Technobot outside of Quantron, but still much more interested in Sky Lynx.

Ryan F
2015-07-13, 06:08 PM
Ugh... I have officially become addicted to the Combiner Wars line.

Currently I have a complete set of Hasbro Aerialbots and Stunticons, plus Voyager Prime and Cyclonus. I have Takara Defensor on pre-order, but have Hasbro Rook and Groove to complete the set, and also Legends Rodimus.

The Hasbro Optimus Maximus bots, Takara Devastator, E-hobby Grand Scourge and TAV Runabout are all ordered up also.

I think at this stage I'm just gonna streamline my collection into just CW and MPs... I'm gonna run out of room for anything else. Man, I can't get enough of these figures.

Hound
2015-07-13, 06:58 PM
Is there any indication that Hasbro is going to release the deluxe class Groove?

Unicron
2015-07-13, 07:17 PM
Is there any indication that Hasbro is going to release the deluxe class Groove?

Not as of yet. Last I heard on the matter was a report over at TFW about a 4chan member claiming to have asked someone from Hasbro after a panel at Botcon and being told deluxe Groove failed a drop test.
I haven't seen anything since, nor anything that confirms or denies that report.

While a failed drop test certainly sounds plausible, I can't say I readily believe it, given the third or fourth-hand nature of the report and the lack of anything to confirm it. Call it rumor/speculation

Thunderwave
2015-07-13, 09:23 PM
...TAV Runabout

Damn it. I didn't even know he was a thing. Now I'll have to get him as well. I just hope they make a Runamuck to go with him.

Ryan F
2015-07-13, 11:06 PM
Damn it. I didn't even know he was a thing. Now I'll have to get him as well. I just hope they make a Runamuck to go with him.

Yeah, crept under the radar, that one! I'd assumed that TAV was just the Japanese version of Robots in Disguise, but it turns out it's an umbrella line for all sorts of random stuff, from one step changers to new versions of Classics figures (including Frenzy and Rumble).

Warcry
2015-07-14, 03:55 AM
Not as of yet. Last I heard on the matter was a report over at TFW about a 4chan member claiming to have asked someone from Hasbro after a panel at Botcon and being told deluxe Groove failed a drop test.
I haven't seen anything since, nor anything that confirms or denies that report.

While a failed drop test certainly sounds plausible, I can't say I readily believe it, given the third or fourth-hand nature of the report and the lack of anything to confirm it. Call it rumor/speculation
I don't recall hearing anything about drop tests, and that's a fairly common 4chan meme whenever Hasbro won't do what they want, so I'm not sure if that's exactly what the issue is. But I did read something in a post-BotCon interview that boiled down to the same "can't do him at retail" end point. I want to say it was "he's more expensive to make than a standard Deluxe", but my memory of it is pretty foggy right now.

Being a hair more expensive wouldn't stop them from doing a specialty-store release like they did for Slingshot and Wildrider, I suppose, if there's enough demand there.

Unicron
2015-07-14, 03:00 PM
I don't recall hearing anything about drop tests, and that's a fairly common 4chan meme whenever Hasbro won't do what they want, so I'm not sure if that's exactly what the issue is.

Like I said, it was one report (someone made a reply fairly late in one of the Defensor threads referencing a 4chan member claiming to have asked, etc.). Didn't know it was a common excuse there, given that I wouldn't touch that place with a 10 foot pole.

Could be any number of reasons

Tantrum
2015-07-15, 02:42 AM
Is there any indication that Hasbro is going to release the deluxe class Groove?According to this (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/deluxe-groove-to-seemingly-be-a-japan-exclusive-mold-as-part-of-unite-warriors-guardian-set/32974/), Takara Tomy claims Groove is a unique mold not available overseas, and similar claims were not made about Wildrider or Slingshot. I don't know if a better translation would be more (or less) definitive. Maybe they just mean unobtainable at the moment? Or, that the statement wouldn't apply to Wildrider or Slingshot since they were repaints of molds that were available everywhere.

How did Hasbro announce Brake-neck and Quickslinger? If Groove is coming out stateside, I'd think Hasbro would've let people know when the other Protectobots came out so G1 fans would buy them instead of waiting for the TT version.

I figured Groove would be redone as Afterburner, so Hasbro would have more of an incentive to fix any problems with the mold so they could sell it twice. If Betatron really is the planned team for Scattershot, fixing the motorcycle mold may not be worth the trouble.

I called Hasbro customer support this morning to ask about Deluxe Groove, and they just said to check the website every so often for the release schedule.

Denyer
2015-07-22, 08:27 PM
Club version of Impactor... if this was a mass-release, and as essentially just a head sculpt there's no reason it couldn't have been, I'd be singing praises... as it is, it's likely to be in the same price bracket as an original voyager-scale mould from a quality 3P manufacturer.

http://tfwiki.tumblr.com/post/124693550823/the-transformers-collectors-club-has-just

http://i.imgur.com/SDrU5bO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SDrU5bO.jpg

Warcry
2015-07-23, 02:36 AM
FunPub figures have lost a lot of their luster lately, haven't they? Even setting aside 3P stuff, when Hasbro is making new toys of guys like Scoop or G2 Dreadwing, the club's new-head redecos just don't have the impact that they did a few years ago. Used to be, this was the only way to get a new Dreadwind or Weirdwolf or whoever. But now? Hasbro could do one on a lark six months from now and odds are it'd be a lot more accurate that whatever the club can afford to do. The fact that a bigger, better, more accurate Impactor got shown off the week before this one is just the icing on the cake.

But when your easy redeco costs the same as a low-run 100%-new-tooling design, surely that's an indictment of how you're doing business? I know they need to pay Hasbro licensing fees in order to run the club and use the molds and 3Ps don't, but they're still charging 400% markup on figures that look like refugees from a retail filler wave.

Clay
2015-07-24, 12:04 AM
Plus, they could offset the licensing cost by producing more units and making them more easily available. Maybe rework their business model as offering niche redecos on an online store instead of, basically, charging membership fees for the lure of 'exclusives', which aren't really when club members are free to resell them.

Of course, none of what the collector's club offers really matters because, as you say, Hasbro are just as likely to do it themselves even if the club offers it first. And in the case of Classics Thundercracker, Thrust, and Dirge, they did just that.

numbat
2015-07-24, 12:28 PM
I don't really think that works great for Impactor. Sure it's got his head and colours, but otherwise how does that look particularly like him?

Is that a Combiner Wars Deluxe he's remoulded from? Which one?

Far more interested in MMC Spartan, which actually looks like Impactor, and is Voyager sized. Probably cheaper too, I'd expect from what I see TFCC figures go for (for characters people care about anyway).

inflatable dalek
2015-07-24, 12:30 PM
I don't recognise the original toy, but it is a bit meh. On the other hand, to be the best Official Impactor it doesn't have to do much.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-07-24, 12:48 PM
I don't really think that works great for Impactor. Sure it's got his head and colours, but otherwise how does that look particularly like him?

Is that a Combiner Wars Deluxe he's remoulded from? Which one?

It is Rook, the new Protectobot who takes Groove's place as a leg in the Hasbro Defensor. He has a really rubbish (lack of) hand gimmick, that sort of half works for Impactor. That moulded right fist! Ugh! :down:

Spartan is much more up my street too. Looks good, and will be roughly the same size as most of the official Wreckers recently released by Hasbro (Springer, Sandstorm, Whirl, Roadbuster).

numbat
2015-07-24, 01:46 PM
IOn the other hand, to be the best Official Impactor it doesn't have to do much.
That's true - they did a remarkably bad job last time round...

http://i.imgur.com/Dv1thWx.jpg

inflatable dalek
2015-07-24, 01:48 PM
XAARON'S HEAD IS LICKING OUT HIS ANUS.

numbat
2015-07-24, 02:20 PM
The internet tells me that is in fact 'Ruination' licking out his anus, and not the good Emirate, despite any superficial similarities.

Oh, what a weird toy...

Thunderwave
2015-07-24, 10:05 PM
It is Rook, the new Protectobot who takes Groove's place as a leg in the Hasbro Defensor. He has a really rubbish (lack of) hand gimmick, that sort of half works for Impactor. That moulded right fist! Ugh! :down:

Rook can use combiner hands like kids use Hulk Hands. I agree it's rather silly but having my Rook armed with his and Alpha Bravo's combiner hands entertains me.

Clay
2015-07-24, 11:13 PM
The movie Dinobot molds (excluding the spinosaur and raptor) are getting re-released in a box set with G1 colors... and new heads based on their G1 counterparts.

Somewhat appealing, but really tacky to offer that after putting out at least two different G1-themed box sets already (a Comic-Con set and a BBTS/Amazon set, I think, maybe more).

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/07/23/platinum-edition-dinobots-set-revealed-new-headsculpts-confirmed-298486

Sades
2015-07-25, 02:10 AM

I just wanted to quote that. :up:

The movie Dinobot molds (excluding the spinosaur and raptor) are getting re-released in a box set with G1 colors... and new heads based on their G1 counterparts.

Somewhat appealing, but really tacky to offer that after putting out at least two different G1-themed box sets already (a Comic-Con set and a BBTS/Amazon set, I think, maybe more).

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/07/23/platinum-edition-dinobots-set-revealed-new-headsculpts-confirmed-298486

Eh. I haven't got any variations of these moulds yet so if we happen to have money by the time these are out, I might bite.

Tantrum
2015-07-27, 11:01 PM
Club version of Impactor... if this was a mass-release, and as essentially just a head sculpt there's no reason it couldn't have been, I'd be singing praises... as it is, it's likely to be in the same price bracket as an original voyager-scale mould from a quality 3P manufacturer.

http://tfwiki.tumblr.com/post/124693550823/the-transformers-collectors-club-has-just

http://i.imgur.com/SDrU5bO.jpgI agree about that being a decent mass release, but a poor exclusive. If this is going to cost more than a regular figure, they could have at least replaced Rook's claw thing with a harpoon.

The clubs doing another 5 exclusive repaint figures that form a Decepticon gestalt out of Targetmasters, Triggercons, and Bludgeon as a torso. Bludgeon homages the inner robot. I assume the gestalt homages the shell. That's a pretty good idea, but again, not worth paying a premium for a toy I (mostly) already have.

A few years ago, there were some Hasbro Rumble & Frenzy figures that turned into tanks, and were never released in the U.S. The club was able to redo them as Rewind and Eject. I wonder if Hasbro would let the club use the CW Deluxe Groove mold. Would joining the club and buying their figure cost as much as importing Takara Defensor?

Clay
2015-08-01, 01:25 PM
Apparently a Hasbro release of the remolded MP seeker mold as Starscream is coming.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/08/01/transformers-masterpiece-mp-07-starscream-hasbro-release-official-images-299094

Sades
2015-08-01, 10:25 PM
I think my biggest pet peeve when it comes to toys is straight remoulds.

Clay
2015-08-02, 01:54 PM
How so?

Cliffjumper
2015-08-02, 06:10 PM
Would probably be up for on the cheap assuming they get the finish right. The MP F-15 mould isn't too bad but Hasbro releases have been knock-off quality.

Knightdramon
2015-08-02, 07:47 PM
I hope they finally remould the stand.

The stand cradle that has been made to grasp MP03's chest/abs panels, not MP11.

I also don't see the point of keeping the original sidesinder missiles, but it's cool that they're included.

Sades
2015-08-02, 09:42 PM
How so?

It's mainly because I'm a cheap bastard and personally don't see the point in buying a figure I essentially already own. Not saying I'm buying a Starscream; I was mainly just being curmudgeonly. :p Tis internet, I maketh the commentses.

Knightdramon
2015-08-03, 06:01 PM
I think you are confusing [in your initial statement, at least] remould with repaint?

Because this "new" Starscream is around 70% new, despite transforming more or less the same way. I think the only identical things are upper thighs, hands, side vents, back panel and nose?

Regardless, this should be a cool chance for people who missed on MP11.

Sades
2015-08-03, 11:00 PM
Could be, did a picture-to-toy comparison between what I've got and that thing and didn't see much difference asides from colour before I posted, and it seemed pretty well indistinguishable but that's about the extent of my "research".

edit: Taking a closer look, I see the differences now. Not really enough difference for me, personally but if it is for whoever buys one, then that's all that matters in that case.

Denyer
2015-10-07, 11:35 PM
No time to look at this properly, but Hasbro Skullcruncher and Hardhead are getting bought (still in for the Fansprojects alternatives). Other stuff too. Galvatron looks pretty ropey. I assume Rewind will only come with Blaster.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/10/07/nycc-2015-galvatron-skylinx-and-headmasters-at-hasbro-preview-event-302492

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/10/07/nycc-2015-blaster-and-g2-menasor-at-hasbro-preview-event-302464

http://i.imgur.com/vogfXwy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vogfXwy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nXQRrxJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nXQRrxJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M9kMRIW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/M9kMRIW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mX85Dad.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mX85Dad.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PDmSDuc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PDmSDuc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nNsUgax.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nNsUgax.jpg

inflatable dalek
2015-10-08, 06:35 AM
They're totally trolling the 3P boys with Skullcruncher and Hardhead aren't they? Ironically, out of the two Skullcrunchers, the one it would be more acceptable to have been designed with a repaint in mind is the one that doesn't look compromised because it has to become Optimus Bloody Prime.

I was originally thinking Blaster and Rewind were going to create a MP Soundblaster/Ratbat Ebay situation, but of course Blaster is a Lost Lighter as well so folks would be more likely to keep him.

tahukanuva
2015-10-08, 06:55 AM
Rewind's available by himself.

Also Blaster turns into a playset, and Galvatron's a headmaster with a tiny Megatron for a head. I'm impressed so far.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-10-08, 08:33 AM
Some good variety in there.

G2 Menasor inspires feelings of hatred in me that are only matched by the joy of G2 Superion. So that's nice.

Skullcruncher looks awesomesauce, but I'll probably be sticking with Maketoys for Hardhead, solely because he'll match Cupola in size and aesthetic. If I hadn't already gone that route I'd definitely be sold, though.

Not entirely convinced on Blaster, though he definitely looks fun for people who like that sort of thing. They had the chance to make me really regret going for the KFC one, but they've opted for the playset route, which is fair enough.

It's really nice that, whatever your tastes, there's something in the range for you nowadays. That's cool.

Denyer
2015-10-08, 09:09 PM
Cool about Rewind, will get one then. Does Bruticus have a Shockwave on his back?

edit: Yeah... http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/06/20/botcon-2015-hasbro-post-panel-case-pics-294031

I think Crox is en route, and no regrets on that score. Decent chompy mode on that official Skullcruncher though.

Blaster... just not after one that big. Deluxe scale works better for LL.

Galvatron looks better in the later pics, and like Blaster I'm sure will be appreciated by kids, at least until they lose the head. It wasn't a great gimmick for playable toys originally, so it seems bizarre they've felt the need to retain that. The character homages and updates are welcome, though.

edit2:

So that's Sky Lynx, Hardhead, Skullcruncher, Rewind, Brawl. Several to look forward to.

Cliffjumper
2015-10-08, 09:19 PM
Like Hardhead; hopefully he's Leader class so he'll be to scale with my MPs...

(ironically Blaster's far too big for me... plus I really, really prefer the cartoon head on the chap, he was too much of a dickpipe with the visor after he got to Earth)

Ryan F
2015-10-08, 09:22 PM
I'm still excited for the Combiner Wars stuff. My Headmaster itch is being scratched by Maketoys and FP at the moment, so no need for the Hasbro versions here. But man, those combiners. Buy buy buy!

Skyquake87
2015-10-08, 09:35 PM
Like Hardhead and Skullcruncher very much and am really impressed with Blaster. He has the chunk of the original, but with way better proportions. I am pretty excited by this lot :)

Clay
2015-10-08, 09:41 PM
They're totally trolling the 3P boys with Skullcruncher and Hardhead aren't they? Ironically, out of the two Skullcrunchers, the one it would be more acceptable to have been designed with a repaint in mind is the one that doesn't look compromised because it has to become Optimus Bloody Prime.

My Crox came in today, I have no regrets. In person, there's nothing that screams "Optimus chest" about it... it's just that the cockpit ends up on the front instead of elsewhere. More importantly, it matches up with the design idea behind the other Fansproject Headmasters so far that I really, really like: collapsing the cockpit so that the robot doesn't have a big cavity in the chest. I also like that it has a proper posture for a gator. The Hasbro Skullcruncher seems to be adhering much closer to the original design, warts and all, and fair enough for the people that want that.

Hardhead looks alright, but I'd still rather have the Fansproject version. I just hope that they don't get skittish and not produce the design now.

The Skylinx combiner looks like it'll collapse under the weight of its own awesome.

What are all the little boblits and whosits around Blaster? New "tapes"?

Warcry
2015-10-08, 11:38 PM
Like Hardhead; hopefully he's Leader class so he'll be to scale with my MPs...
Sounds like he and Skullcruncher are Deluxes. For the size I'd say they look pretty good, though in a perfect world I'd rather they be bigger. The Nebulans are liable to be pretty perfunctory, at that size.

While I'm impressed with both of those two, though the bigger toys don't do much for me. Galvatron is too IDW-ized for my tastes and Blaster is a bit too chunky. Not a fan of Blaster's tape-deck mode, either. "Modernized" is all well and good, but those speakers look awful. The base mode is cool, though.

Now go make me a new Squeezeplay, Hasbro! A Scorponok would be nice too!

Tetsuro
2015-10-09, 12:28 AM
I like how Blaster's alt mode is a club and his head turns into a little DJ.

Yes, that's what I think it transforms into and none of you will be able to convince me otherwise.

Warcry
2015-10-09, 03:43 AM
It actually reminds me a whole bunch of PM Prime's base mode, but sure, why not. :)

Clay
2015-10-09, 04:22 AM
Sounds like he and Skullcruncher are Deluxes. For the size I'd say they look pretty good, though in a perfect world I'd rather they be bigger. The Nebulans are liable to be pretty perfunctory, at that size.

Wait, they're deluxes? Huh... well they look okay at that size, but why make more Headmasters at a size smaller than Brainstorm? And why is there no Legends Kickback shown? Does hasbro have ADD?

Brendocon 2.0
2015-10-09, 09:17 AM
edit: Yeah... http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/06/20/botcon-2015-hasbro-post-panel-case-pics-294031

Wow, those Combaticons are... uhm... ridgy.

Big fan of Onslaught. Vortex's colour scheme is a bit iffy. They could have at least given Blast-Off a new head rather than making him look like Slingshot's had a mud bath.

Wacky Revenge of Bruticus fun in giving him a Shockwave gun though. Makes far more sense than "hey, Powerglide is a breastmaster now!"

More importantly, it matches up with the design idea behind the other Fansproject Headmasters so far that I really, really like: collapsing the cockpit so that the robot doesn't have a big cavity in the chest.

See I've never really liked the conceit that the animal Headmasters have cockpits in the first place. I think it's just me reacting to the lack of in-story explanation for them. It makes sense that there'd be a physical modification made to give them some way of getting around, but it was just never covered in-fiction. We're meant to just accept that these characters already had cockpits before there was any need for them. Ho hum.

What are all the little boblits and whosits around Blaster? New "tapes"?

Rewind and Stripes? They seem to be tape/vehicle triple changer thingers.

But there's also the "Titan" Headmaster figures, who are robots, vehicles and heads. Looks like they'll be sold separately and be compatible with whichever larger figures are about:

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/10/08/titans-return-titan-masters-class-official-images-302639

(Galvatron's Headmaster is a dead ringer for Megatron in robot mode)

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-10-09, 09:48 AM
Makes far more sense than "hey, Powerglide is a breastmaster now!"

That's referencing the rarely seen adult sequel to the "The Girl Who Loved Powerglide", "The Girl Who Powerglide Groped A Bit".

Brendocon 2.0
2015-10-09, 09:57 AM
Dalek! Stop hacking RnR's account!

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-10-09, 11:02 AM
Dalek! Stop hacking RnR's account!

People do say I have a bit of Dalek in me, but I tell them no, that's just nano technology.

inflatable dalek
2015-10-09, 12:13 PM
People do say I have a bit of Dalek in me, but I tell them no, that's just nano technology.

Also, my penis.

Selling Headmaster heads separately is a reasonable way of dealing with kids lossing the ones that come with the bigger toys, and there's something strangely appealing about putting Horribull's head on Blaster's body...

But they've done a ****ing Nightbeat head? Really? ****ing Skullcruncher is suddenly so popular he gets a brand new toy whilst actually popular character Nightbeat just gets a head? Why not go the whole hog to piss me off and do a titan sized all new headmaster Scoop just to rub salt in that wound?

Brendocon 2.0
2015-10-09, 12:23 PM
And I just realised that this whole "Titans Return" Headmasters thing was probably what was going on in Heart of Darkness with that completely random "this guy's an ancient Headmaster who's going to have absolutely nothing to do with the story" scene.

FORESHADOWING.

Or coincidence. Probably coincidence. BUT FORESHADOWING.

(I realise that being ~45 issues behind on the fiction leaves me wide open to being completely embarrassed if this is already a thing that's been followed up on, but my considered response to that is **** you)

inflatable dalek
2015-10-09, 02:01 PM
Well, no doubt it will now (though there is already a no doubt soon to be defunct explanation for the Headmaster thing. There's even an attempt to explain Galvatron having fought in the civil war. Barber loves his continuity).

Based on how IDW handled having to bring in lots of combiners, no doubt it will turn out one of the other Prime's possessed The Enigma of Headmastering, that will turn anyone you wave it at into a Headmaster.

Terome
2015-10-09, 03:08 PM
Aha! But the Enigma is already a Headmaster thingy. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Barber is clued into this stuff a year or so in advance. It must take a good while for a toy to go from whiteboard to NYCC reveal.

inflatable dalek
2015-10-09, 03:11 PM
When did it create any headmasters? Combiner Wars isn't very clear so I've likely missed something, but it just seemed to be used for sticking unwilling robots together.

Wait...

Were Grotusque and Mainframe the Headmasters?

Terome
2015-10-09, 03:48 PM
They knew what they were doing all along!

There was a neat flashback to Galvatron during his Conan days when he (single-handedly?) kills all the Headmasters because they offend his sensibilities. Then he tracks down their dad, Nexus Prime, blows him to bits and stashes his silly Enigma on Earth because Galvatron just does whatever he likes.

Oh yeah, point is: Headmasters = Crap combiners, now dead. It's quite the pitch.

inflatable dalek
2015-10-09, 03:52 PM
"Buy the exciting stand up comedian Transformer" is certainly looking like a better sales pitch.

Unicron
2015-10-09, 03:54 PM
When did it create any headmasters? Combiner Wars isn't very clear so I've likely missed something, but it just seemed to be used for sticking unwilling robots together.

Wait...

Were Grotusque and Mainframe the Headmasters?
The old headmasters in IDW were part of Nexus Prime's faction back in Galvatron's wacky barbarian murder phase, so conceivably they're also products of the Enigma.
I would bet the explanation ends up being the Enigma can create all sort of different combiners, but it's only made scramble-style combiners in modern times because that's all anyone has expected it to make. That or Starscream hasn't gotten around to reading the manual and thus hasn't worked out how to use the -master settings.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-10-09, 03:56 PM
Or Hardhead, who is both dead hard and, well, plain old dead.

Disclaimer: I will be buying the comedian and the green corpse regardless. Now please reveal a brown and cream mind fiddler...

inflatable dalek
2015-10-09, 04:01 PM
I'd totally forgotten what Conan Galvatron was actually trying to do.

Ideally the comics would just ignore the gimmick and just write the characters into the stories as is. Though as they'll inevitably be toy pack ins I suppose that's never going to be a goer for at least a good chunk of them.

Either way we could end up with Horri-bull coming back as a disembodied head. Needlenose could carry him about in a homage to Decap-Attack from Sonic the Comic.

Terome
2015-10-09, 04:27 PM
"Buy the exciting stand up comedian Transformer" is certainly looking like a better sales pitch.

I'm with RnR. That is an excellent pitch.

I guess we'll see how high IDW will jump when it comes to Galvatron, Hardhead et al. I guess we know why Fort Max has popped over from Luna-1 now. Looks like there's a cover or something of Sentinel 'Astrotrain' Prime - can't see how he'd fit into anything sensibly.

Decap-Attack from Sonic the Comic

I'd buy a Kitchling-styled Decap and Head in a heartbeat.

Cliffjumper
2015-10-09, 04:46 PM
Or Hardhead, who is both dead hard and, well, plain old dead.

Hahahaha, there is no dead in IDW comics. You wait until Hasbro latch on to Ironfist for a cheap retool and John Barber curls a great big steaming shit into your head.

inflatable dalek
2015-10-09, 04:53 PM
Flashbacks IDW! You don't need to bring them back in the present!

Denyer
2015-10-09, 06:32 PM
Wait, they're deluxes?

Hmm. Hadn't clocked that. Suddenly a much harder sell. Surprised accessories that small would pass inspection too.

Cliffjumper
2015-10-09, 07:01 PM
Deluxes are the ones that used to be Scouts, right? [/repetitive size class 'humour']

Knightdramon
2015-10-09, 08:36 PM
I get the feeling that Sentinel is just going to come back, revealled to have never died or something.

Actual toys...are not bad, or bad looking. Galvatron looks properly cool. Rewind looks ok. Don't care much for the two deluxes. Sentinel is a blatant Astrotrain retool but I'll probably go for it.

One of the deluxe shadowed heads looks like Blurr.

Denyer
2015-10-10, 11:11 AM
My Crox came in today, I have no regrets. In person, there's nothing that screams "Optimus chest" about it...

Depends on pose -- straight on and with the visor down, the eye's drawn to what's basically the front of a truck (grille, windows) and not much like the original model in terms of layout. The visual doesn't pop as much as figures with brighter colour schemes. He looks much better with the subtle detail of having the red eyes visible, and I think I'm going to cut a transparent logo in half and add to the window. edit: The sword pegs to the nub on his back vertically as well as horizontally, too, which is handy.

What's likely to piss me off most about the Hasbro versions is the build quality -- hollow feeling isn't so much a big detail if it isn't really obvious where the cavities are, like on Galvatron.

Renders here, incidentally;

http://masterforceuk.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/masterforces-transformers-titans-return.html

I tend to disagree that this'll have a big impact on 3P releases, and like others appreciate the choice that's on offer.

Going back to Skullcruncher... the robot head looks odd, but he should be cool displayed in alli/croc mode...

http://i.imgur.com/U0ngvpJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/U0ngvpJ.jpg

Cliffjumper
2015-10-10, 04:38 PM
Yeh; I largely think both 3P and MP/Generations can co-exist. The former has the sort of built-in fanbase that'll buy the figures anyway; there really are a core of people out there who spend astonishing money on this stuff. There's surprisingly little overlap in a way as there's always going to be some who prefer HasTak's updated design over 3P company's slavish G1 update or vice-versa.

The outright collisions have been rare and in any area of toy collection there's always the chance you're going to buy something only to have a cheaper and/or better version come out and I think a certain number of fans just accept it when this does happen.

Regarding Skullcruncher I think it's more a case of both Classics and 3P having a broadly similar starting point. Both are fishing in a fairly shallow pool of recognisable guys who people will actually be interested in a unique toy of and they're bound to latch on to the same thing sooner or later.

I'd be interested to know what the lead-in for Hasbro is on the actual figure is, e.g. how long it's been since someone went "hey, why not do Skullcruncher?" to the physical toy being shown at toy fairs.

inflatable dalek
2015-10-10, 07:05 PM
It is kind of fun how with Sentinel they clearly just grabbed the first of the new Voyager's that came to hand and painted him orange. Astrotrain is really a character that doesn't lend himself well to repaints beyond his two colour schemes, bless.

Maybe they'll get Powermaster Prime out of Blaster?

Unicron
2015-10-10, 07:39 PM
Maybe they'll get Powermaster Prime out of Blaster?

Last I heard PM Prime is supposed to be a retool of the recent leader Ultra Magnus.

While Blaster's base mode would work for Prime, the rest of it really doesn't

Knightdramon
2015-10-11, 09:08 AM
I'd be interested to know what the lead-in for Hasbro is on the actual figure is, e.g. how long it's been since someone went "hey, why not do Skullcruncher?" to the physical toy being shown at toy fairs.

Used to be 2 years +, in a recent-ish interview hasbro stated that they're shortening that down to just one year.

numbat
2015-10-11, 12:02 PM
Interesting to see an official Skullcruncher, but I think Deluxe is too small for a Headmaster, regardless of the fact Brainstorm is a Voyager which introduces scale issues. Is that two 3P versions and an official one now? I find myself leaning towards Toy world Swamped as my favourite, but amn't outright sold on any.

Voyager Galvatron looks like he could be good and usurp Bot on Clench from CHUG Deception leadership (CW Megatron is just too big). But I don't get why he is a Headmaster. If Transformation involves removing the head and keeping it somewhere, I'd struggle to get behind Galvatron.

Sentinel Prime is interesting, but the wings are very Astrotrain. Have we seen the Astrotrain version of the mould? I'm not impressed by the robot mode hands just sitting there in spacecraft mode.

I can definitely live without a Leader Class Blaster - especially as a random Headmaster with a base mode.

Rewind is a must have, though. Any sign if a Chromedome on the horizon?

I am very curious to see the Titans - particularly Fortress Maximus, but also to find out who the others are, how many, and how big. Surely there's not a lucrative mass market for multiple Generations Metroplex sized Transformers in a single year, or even over a couple?

Clay
2015-10-12, 03:13 AM
For Galvatron, they seem to have included a space cruiser mode that has a cockpit for the headmaster to fit in. As for why make him a headmaster? Probably for the same reason as Blaster, and for the same reason as making Prowl, Sunstreaker, Hound, Trailbreaker, etc. combiners when they weren't before. Which is... I dunno, but it's probably the same reason.

I think the headmaster Galvatron looks fair enough, but I do wish that they'd learn to put the excessively hollow parts on the undersides of the arms instead of the sides where it shows so much. I mean, cost cutting and making the parts lighter is fine and all as long as it isn't so obvious at a glance.

HeavyArms
2015-10-31, 03:42 PM
Ok, I'm up for Blaster, Galvatron, Hardhead and Skullcruncher. I'm also interested in Sentinel Prime but as Astrotrain because that repaint is obvious.

But I have one question for Hasbro: Where is Broadside? I mean, seriously, you've done the other five triple-changers, one has been done twice even, but still no Broadside, why?
Admittedly, I don't really care about the character, but it would be nice to finish off the core group though. That's my rant done.

Red Dave Prime
2015-10-31, 09:55 PM
I really like the look of Galvatron, reckon I may spring for him. Cant quite see how the head master bit works with him though - the megs figure looks too boxy for the main toys head surely?

Knightdramon
2015-11-01, 04:32 PM
I really like the look of Galvatron, reckon I may spring for him. Cant quite see how the head master bit works with him though - the megs figure looks too boxy for the main toys head surely?

The voyagers and leaders have a helmet that goes over the headmaster. The helmets are springloaded, thus you can have him go for both helmeted and unhelmeted look.

Red Dave Prime
2015-11-01, 11:14 PM
go for both helmeted and unhelmeted look.

That's filthy ��

Brendocon 2.0
2015-11-13, 03:00 PM
And in a twist that absolutely everybody should have seen coming, next year's "supreme class" figure appears to be Titan Wars Fortress Maximus.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/11/13/titan-wars-fortress-maximus-revealed-305250

Imagine, a Fort Max with actual joints. Excuse me while I have a celebratory cup of tea.

inflatable dalek
2015-11-13, 04:39 PM
I'm more surprised it doesn't look like he's just Metroplex with a new removable head.

Or Alpha Bravo with a new removable head.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-11-13, 04:41 PM
The removable head is probably a remould of Rook.

numbat
2015-11-13, 05:33 PM
Looking pretty nifty. If I can put Perfect Effect Warden on as the head, I'm sold. (If not immediately compatible surely someone will release an adapter kit?).

Denyer
2015-11-13, 07:13 PM
If that means anyone's getting shot of a Cerebros, I might be interested.

Thunderwave
2015-11-14, 12:43 PM
Or Alpha Bravo with a new removable head.

I got a snicker at this idea. A massive blown up Deluxe to Supreme class. No change in transformation or articulation. Like some weird Chinese knock off sold officially in stores.

Of course it's not like Hasbro hasn't blown up smaller figures before into new size classes...

numbat
2015-11-14, 01:45 PM
If that means anyone's getting shot of a Cerebros, I might be interested.
Possibility.

:)

Denyer
2015-11-14, 03:18 PM
Cool, keep me in mind if you do. :)

Plex is my citybot of choice and I think works well with Infinitor, Evil Lord and WSTs. Great to see Hasbro trying the Titan Wars concept though.

numbat
2015-11-16, 09:42 AM
Will do. Likewise, Metroplex is my fave citybot, and he does indeed work well with WSTs and Evil Lord. (Indeed, while getting a book from my study to take to work this morning I had a wee play around with Evil Lord, Metroplex and WST Anime Convoy...)

I just always wanted a Fort Max. Then I got old enough and 'rich' enough to consider buying one. And I realised Brave Max was better. But they're both crap. And very expensive.

I like that IDW turned him in to a normal (if on the large side) character, and Perfect Effect Warden is great. But I would go a Metroplex retool with good articulation that could use Warden as a head. I think that would be just awesome-sauce.

Denyer
2015-11-16, 08:51 PM
Would be surprised if they got much reuse out of the first design. And even though the pic seen so far seems stretched horizontally, it's going to have to be generally wider in the body or a deluxe sized figure will look wildly out...

I like that IDW turned him in to a normal (if on the large side) character,
They did have lots of precedent to "borrow" from, but definitely agree -- it works better as a name than literal indicator of size.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-11-20, 01:45 PM
DaimChoc's FB page has got lots of pictures going up today from various sources (lots of 3P stuff from a Chinese fair that I'm sure somebody else will collate properly in a bit)

Official-wise, there's what looks to be a Combiner Wars Hot Rod (Blackjack redeco), a G2 redeco of Bruticus and this Titan Wars Powermaster Prime:
https://www.facebook.com/DaimChocReports/posts/174745152875920

numbat
2015-11-20, 03:53 PM
I do like that Powermaster Prime. Favourite Prime growing up - I remember saving up money for a year to buy him.

Also liking the G2 CW Combaticons, but am really confused as to why they have the G1 Decepticon insignia. Shouldn't they have the G2 Decepticon insignia?

Clay
2015-11-20, 09:08 PM
Apparently Powermaster Prime is a super-heavy-thorough remold of Ultra Magnus. Neat.

Also, there's supposed to be an online vote on Tuesday for the next Titan class figure - Omega Supreme, Trypticon, or Scorponok. I'm guessing Hasbro has rough ideas for all three and just want to see which one to do first, but I'd be surprised to see multiple Titan class figures in the same year.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-11-20, 09:14 PM
Also, there's supposed to be an online vote on Tuesday for the next Titan class figure - Omega Supreme, Trypticon, or Scorponok. I'm guessing Hasbro has rough ideas for all three and just want to see which one to do first, but I'd be surprised to see multiple Titan class figures in the same year.

According to the TFW article, whatever wins will be due back end of 2017.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/11/20/fortress-maximus-powermaster-prime-g2-bruticus-revealed-305620

Clay
2015-11-20, 09:28 PM
According to the TFW article, whatever wins will be due back end of 2017.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/11/20/fortress-maximus-powermaster-prime-g2-bruticus-revealed-305620

Ah, well it looks like we'll only get one of the three, then.

Here's hoping it's Trypticon.

numbat
2015-11-21, 09:48 AM
Ah, well it looks like we'll only get one of the three, then.

Here's hoping it's Trypticon.

Or Scorponok. I'd be pleased with either of those two.

Titan Class seems too big for Omega Supreme, plus it would be good to have a huge Decepticon base to face off against Metroplex or Fortress Maximus - and the two Decepticon options are their respective nemeses.

Denyer
2015-11-21, 12:01 PM
Maybe Takara will do the PM Prime with black shoulder cannons or the original ones will fit... doesn't look bad, though. It's a possible.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-12-01, 07:03 PM
Trypticon won the poll, apparently.

Warcry
2015-12-01, 07:41 PM
Good. Hopefully that means we'll get a Scorponok who's a reasonable size rather than an insane two foot tall one.

Clay
2015-12-01, 08:48 PM
Trypticon won the poll, apparently.

Yay!

Denyer
2015-12-01, 10:01 PM
Logical since Metroplex is already a thing... and robot dinosaurs are ****ing cool, of course.

Hound
2015-12-01, 10:13 PM
Agreed!

Sades
2015-12-01, 10:50 PM
Ah ****, why do these people keep giving me reasons to want to spend money I probably can't really afford to spend?

That's a stupid question, me.

Thunderwave
2015-12-02, 04:27 AM
Yay!

Seconded that. I was really hoping one of the Deceptions would win, but especially the giant robot dinosaur. It has nothing to do with my love of kaiju movies, I swear. >.>

inflatable dalek
2015-12-02, 07:03 AM
At least this means he'll have to be a whole new toy. There was always the worry with Scorponok that they'd have painted Fort Max green, put some claws and legs on him and declared the result a scorpion .

Brendocon 2.0
2015-12-02, 09:26 AM
Just you watch. Trypticon'll be Metroplex redone in grey with a new head, a tail and the arms shortened.

Red Dave Prime
2015-12-02, 09:48 AM
Just you watch. Trypticon'll be Metroplex redone in grey with a new head, a tail and the arms shortened.

Nah. Just a new head.

numbat
2015-12-02, 11:09 AM
Huzzah!

I'd have been happy with either Trypticon or Scorponok. Big-ass Decepticons are much needed! Also, they both turn into cool things (I'd be hard pressed to choose between a giant dinosaur or a giant scorpion to be honest).

It would be nice to see a decent Scorponok as well - what ever happened to Perfect Effect's Deathstalker? That would be perfect to stand opposite Warden anyway.

Warcry
2015-12-02, 04:11 PM
Nah. Just a new head.
He's totally going to be a Headmaster, isn't he?

Tetsuro
2015-12-02, 04:20 PM
I still say they missed a perfectly good opportunity not including a black repaint of Tailgate with the Platinum Trypticon.

numbat
2015-12-02, 05:38 PM
That would suck beans.

Thunderwave
2015-12-03, 04:30 AM

So I'll be able to give random robots a comically over sized dinosaur head?

Red Dave Prime
2015-12-03, 06:34 AM
Probably just be a bigger version of the snap dragon mould. With more stickers. Less phallic stomach thingy.

Sades
2015-12-03, 07:07 AM
Pretender shell with a GoBot inside.

Battle Beast.

Chewy gummy candy.

Scratch and sniff sticker?

Red Dave Prime
2015-12-03, 11:22 AM
Old vanished clear red plastic for back of the book japes.

You're welcome

*drops mic*

Tetsuro
2015-12-09, 09:15 AM
Pretender shell with a GoBot inside.

Battle Beast.
A GoBot with a Pretender shell based on a Battle Beast?

Hound
2015-12-09, 04:12 PM
yes

Knightdramon
2015-12-26, 02:59 PM
Combiner Wars giftsets [G2 Superion, Menasor, Victorion] up for PO at Kapow, 89 pounds a piece.

Actually works cheaper than getting all the bots at those pricepoints individually.

Might get Victorion at some point.

Clay
2015-12-28, 10:00 PM
Optimus Prime prop truck from the first three movies is up for auction. (http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/12/27/optimus-prime-bumblebee-vehicles-auction-barrett-jackson-307222)

Skyquake87
2015-12-28, 10:56 PM
i bid 5 Euros.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-01-08, 10:29 AM
Some top class fun and games going on in TFW2005's news section right now.

A day after they reported that somebody's found a Combiner Wars Computron in TRU's computer, a picture has emerged of Brawl with a drill instead of a barrel, which is now being reported as speculative evidence of... Combiner Wars LioKaiser.

As opposed to, y'know, a mock-up of Nosecone like logic would dictate. Or just somebody twatting about.

But yeah, anyway, possible Computron boxset on the way.

Warcry
2016-01-08, 04:42 PM
Isn't drill-Brawl part of that hideous CW Tripredacus-with-five-members that the club is doing for BotCon, anyway?

I could totally see them doing a quick cash-in Technobot box set after all the outrage that one wasn't getting made, though.

Death's Head
2016-01-08, 05:34 PM
http://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/123507-cw-liokaiser-art-surfaces/#entry3119399

:o

Brendocon 2.0
2016-01-08, 06:08 PM
Well well well.

Though it turning out to be true doesn't make the initial leap any less crazy.

Does make sense though. Easy vehicle recyc, straight Nosecone repaint if they're doing Computron, plus answers the nagging question of how they get a mould reuse out of Sky Lynx.

Death's Head
2016-01-08, 06:39 PM
To be honest, Brend, I have no idea what's going on with the toys anymore. Right now it seems like anything could happen - they've made a new Sky Lynx, for God's sake! We're through the looking-glass here.

Skyquake87
2016-01-08, 08:00 PM
Yay! Decepticons! I'll have a go with those, as and when.

Denyer
2016-01-08, 08:09 PM
Mmm, tentatively interested. And likely to look better than Computron.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-01-08, 09:26 PM
To be honest I've just preordered the first two TFC BreastForce guys, so I'm pretty much nonplussed.

But it's cool that they're going this route. Like, completely insane and unpredictable, but cool.

numbat
2016-01-08, 10:29 PM
But it's cool that they're going this route. Like, completely insane and unpredictable, but cool.
Loving it.

Knightdramon
2016-01-09, 11:39 AM
Fun times.

Is it me or does Computron's head look slightly different than the standalone?

Clay
2016-01-12, 06:47 PM
Here's the soundwave version of the upcoming headmaster blaster.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/01/11/titans-return-leader-soundwave-revealed-307615

Skyquake87
2016-01-12, 08:14 PM
...that looks awful. Thankfully, I have MP Soundwave, so I can ignore this. Hooray!

Ryan F
2016-01-12, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I'm all in for the combiners, so the Headmasters line will be a chance for me to ease off on the spending! I have the legends Buzzsaw (bought that entire wave just to get a Shockwave) and it is terrible.

numbat
2016-01-13, 05:07 PM
That mould looks just as bad as Soundwave as it does as Blaster...

I really don't understand why everyone is suddenly a Headmaster and why Soundwave or Blaster would be huge and turn in to bases as well as... cassette boom boxes?!?!?

Brendocon 2.0
2016-01-13, 07:12 PM
It's because they've turned up the... BASE... levels.

That's what's called a joke. You see it works on the premise that they have music-related alt modes and "base" is pronounced the same as "bass". I know right. Oh you don't need to thank me. A well executed pun is its own reword.

Clay
2016-01-15, 07:07 PM
Ha.

Also, some people are considering Groove's inclusion and Rook's exclusion on the official website (http://transformers.hasbro.com/en-us/combiner-wars/defensor) as a tease that the deluxe figure will be released outside of Japan.

Unicron
2016-01-15, 09:13 PM
Also, some people are considering Groove's inclusion and Rook's exclusion on the official website (http://transformers.hasbro.com/en-us/combiner-wars/defensor) as a tease that the deluxe figure will be released outside of Japan.
I fully expect that the US release of the Groove mold will be in a garishly colored G2 Defensor set.

Denyer
2016-01-18, 11:29 AM
Has this already been seen? Titan line Blurr...

http://tformers.com/updated-new-better-images-of-titans-return-deluxe-blurr/28336/news.html

If these are deluxes, wouldn't the heads be a choking hazard?

numbat
2016-01-18, 12:37 PM
Wow... That is hideous... (Guess the colours are probably the big problem, so maybe Takara will do him better?)

As to the heads being a choking hazard, I guess it depends on the intended age range? Mainline Transformers seem to be going up in age, while becoming simpler and more childish in design... Not sure those are compatible marketing strategies in the long-term...

Denyer
2016-01-18, 12:49 PM
Quite like it personally and it's still a blurry preview.

I think the heads/figures are more the size of voyager Brainstorm... hard to tell from photos, but given that the weapons will have 5mm posts... sort of an in-between?

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/10/07/nycc-2015-closer-look-at-galvatron-blaster-and-more-302545

http://i.imgur.com/Cgg5GhS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/22jBUDa.jpg

numbat
2016-01-18, 01:18 PM
Liking Skullcruncher. A lot.

Denyer
2016-01-18, 04:10 PM
Liking the fact they've done a Skullcruncher slightly more than the mould itself, but I'm game for an army of the four (including the two 3P ones) that'll have been released.

Tantrum
2016-01-18, 05:00 PM
It's because they've turned up the... BASE... levels.

That's what's called a joke. You see it works on the premise that they have music-related alt modes and "base" is pronounced the same as "bass". I know right. Oh you don't need to thank me. A well executed pun is its own reword.They're pronounced the same, but spelled differently. You're gonna want to wait until they make a Soundwave that turns into a fish.

That mold looks OK for Blaster, but not great for Soundwave. They're boxy robots that turn into actual boxes. How hard is this?

Galvatron has a big grey cockpit-looking thing on his back that just hangs below his cannon mode. Maybe there's a third mode?

They also seem to have given up on hiding the gaps in the forearms where the hands fold away. I understand that sometimes there's not much choice, but Galvatron has those tank treads on his elbows. They should've been able to put the hand gap on the underside of the arm, and have the tread fold up to cover it.

The headmasters look decent, and are characters I don't have, so I'll probably pick them up.

Death's Head
2016-01-18, 05:50 PM
They're pronounced the same, but spelled differently. You're gonna want to wait until they make a Soundwave that turns into a fish.

Hmm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/Alexio/Bass_zpsconlvotc.jpg

Denyer
2016-01-27, 07:09 PM
Some more bodies and heads...

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/01/27/first-look-titans-return-scourge-chromedome-mindwipe-alpha-trion-308451

Scourge and Mindwipe, Chromedome head and what's probably Alpha Trion.

inflatable dalek
2016-01-27, 08:07 PM
Looks like Mindwipe and Scourge will be more up my street than the previous Classics/3P versions of each.

Is Chromedome just going to be a head then?

Denyer
2016-01-27, 08:16 PM
Liking the Mindwipe.

Had the thought that if Hasbro is at all canny, they'll use the head play set gimmick to do alternate head styles -- sell comic type heads in the separate packs, for instance, and original toy homages with the figures. Or faceplate vs non-faceplate, etc.

Skyquake87
2016-01-28, 06:25 PM
Judging by previous form, probably not.

Will probably need to see some less blurry pictures to make any commitment, but like that we're finally getting some less familiar faces through :)

Denyer
2016-02-13, 10:38 AM
Whispers (with photo) of possible Tracks with faceplate version;

http://tfsquareone.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/masterpiece-tracks-prototype-toy-face.html

Knightdramon
2016-02-13, 10:58 AM
More things showcased---[all artwork at this point]

The "was anybody NOT expecting this?" Astrotrain repaint out of Sentinel Prime with a new headmaster.

Full image of a cool Alpha Trion. Looks like he turns into at least a lion [might be a triple changer depending on size class]

Blurr and Scourge [both a bit too rectangular for my taste]

Jet mode of Brainstorm [retool of Blurr] and just his robot legs

Computron boxset artwork, 6th member is a retooled and/or repainted Cosmos as Scrounge. Looks like a groove repaint [from UW Defensor], Dead End repaint, one of the jets [Firefly? Air Raid?], a retool of Brawl with a drill and Scattershot. Unsure of the point of the individual Scattershot release...

Appears to be a nifty line, plenty of interchangeability between all the figures so far.

Denyer
2016-02-14, 02:42 PM
http://news.tfw2005.com/conventions/toy-fair/

Hasbro do seem to have taken the restrictions toy production now functions under and still managed to knock things out of the park -- another Metroplex size figure in Fort Max, lots of Headmasters stuff, some fairly logical mould reuse sets with Unicronian Decepticons and Junkions even whilst you've got Scourge showing up in the Headmasters theme (looking a bit Cyberman-ish)... I think a lot of it's painted prototypes at the moment, but you can see how it's coming together. Really quite impressed.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/02/13/toy-fair-2016-titans-return-display-images-309696
http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/02/13/titans-return-fortress-maximus-official-images-309970
http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/02/13/titans-return-deluxes-official-images-309996

Also quite a funky RID Windblade...

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/02/13/robots-disguise-warrior-class-official-images-309968

I think I might crack on that PM Prime even if the inevitable Japanese version doesn't have more black guns. (edit: Looking back over source material, I'm not sure how it's imprinted so strongly that PM Prime had black shoulder cannons... must be the hand guns I'm remembering.)

Hopeful that FP's Highbrow still gets released, but I'm a bit sceptical they'll do more than the six at this rate... it's too close a size category. MT are more differentiated.

inflatable dalek
2016-02-14, 03:58 PM
I guess the Rewind is just available with Blaster? Shame, I'd be up for the tape but don't like Blaster enough (there's just something...odd about him) to to justify it.

tahukanuva
2016-02-14, 07:15 PM
Rewind's his own dude. Neither of the tape deck leaders comes with a cassette.

Overall, I'm pretty excited for the headmaster guys. Most of them look great, and Mindwipe in particular has some crazy stuff going on with his leg/wing transformation.

My uncle's old Powermaster Optimus was my first Transformer so I'm in for that update.

Fort Max looks pretty great, but between Metroplex, Devastator, and the upcoming Trypticon, he's too much space for a toy I own half of already.

Knightdramon
2016-02-14, 07:42 PM
Chromedome from CW Dead End is both cool and a bit lame...this is the mould's 6th deco so far, ignoring the Japanese versions! :lol:

Fort Max looks and sounds great, but didn't Metroplex have issues where the ratcheted knees could not really hold his weight? Wonder how that will counterbalance the heavier head. In two minds about him, nowhere to display it even if I get it!

numbat
2016-02-14, 08:02 PM
Mindwipe is more impressive than I expected. I'll struggle not to get him and Skullcruncher for nostalgia reasons. Likewise PM Prime although I'll wait and see what Takara do with him first.

didn't Metroplex have issues where the ratcheted knees could not really hold his weight? Wonder how that will counterbalance the heavier head. In two minds about him, nowhere to display it even if I get it!

Really? My Takara version of Generations Metroplex seems fine. I play around with him often.

Fortress Maximus is a heavier retool than I expected. Loving the robot and cruiser modes, but feel the base misses something without the skyscrapers... Still, looking better than I expected. It's likely I'll get some version of him. Still hoping there will be a way to use Perfect Effect Warden as the head.

Displaying these huge figures is definitely an issue. I usually have either Metroplex or UW Devastator out on filing cabinets in the corner of my study, but can't have both out at once. Same with Year of the Snake Omega Supreme (with Maketoys add-on kit). I imagine Fortress Maximus will join the rotation.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-02-14, 09:15 PM
Titans Return looks excellent.

And by excellent I mean a decent range of toys that I don't really fancy the look of. Meaning enough other people should buy it to fund some stuff that I will like. So yay.

Not even keen on Fort Max. There's just something about the general aesthetic that's putting me off, and I can't really put my finger on what it is.

Skyquake87
2016-02-15, 09:10 PM
I like the look of Mindwipe and Chromedome. Blurr looks good too, but...its Blurr. Scourge looks good in alt mode, but I'm not sure about his Telebug head...I'm guessing that's 'cos he's a Headmaster too now..?

Brendocon 2.0
2016-02-15, 10:23 PM
I'm guessing that's 'cos he's a Headmaster too now..?

Titanmaster, dude. Titanmaster.

Tetsuro
2016-02-15, 11:45 PM
Man, I actually saw freakin' Combiner Wars toys in my local grocery store. Granted, they only had the deluxes, but still, it's a huge step up.

That's like finding Hobgoblin in their beer section but not in the big supermarkets' import section (which is also something that happened).

Skyquake87
2016-02-16, 07:49 PM
Titanmaster, dude. Titanmaster.

How can a Deluxe sized toy be a Titan...? :eyebrow: Stupid brand nonsense.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-02-16, 08:25 PM
How can a Deluxe sized toy be a Titan...?

It can't. It can however be a Titanmaster. See how words are fun?

Skyquake87
2016-02-16, 08:34 PM
Shut up you, with your grasp of the English language and clever use of being right.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-02-16, 10:38 PM
Wow, it's like the end of every real world conversation I've ever had.

numbat
2016-03-07, 07:30 AM
Dunno if this has already been posted here and I've just missed it, but had to share...

Some Platinum release of Classics Voyager Optimus Prime and Megatron (Nerf gun). I'm guessing the Platinum series has stopped being premium decos and become whatever random colours Hasbro feel like or something, as it looks pretty weird. I mean, they've not bothered painting the side of Optimus' truck mode, and Megatron has red as a main colour. Maybe I just don't know what they're referencing...

Anyway, up for pre-order here if you fancy it, and lots of other images online if you Google it.

http://www.robotkingdom.com/b5885as00.html

Brendocon 2.0
2016-03-09, 12:36 PM
Combiner Wars Computron image, from weibo, via DaimChoc.

Warcry
2016-03-09, 04:45 PM
That actually looks really good! It's too bad they didn't shorten Computron's antennae to make his head look a bit more like his and a bit less like Superion's, though.

Do we know if any of the limb-bots have new heads? Most of them have passable matches already available for those molds, but it'd still be nice to see at least Nosecone get a new noggin. There does seem to be a lot of remolding going on, what with Nosecone's drill, Strafe's jet parts and Afterburner's front end, so I suppose it's not impossible.

Not going to pay the $150 that local stores seem to want for the combiner box sets, since I could buy four deluxes, a voyager and a legend for around $20 or $30 less than that on their own. But if one of Toys'R'Us's frequent sales comes along while these guys are in stock and I can get them for closer to what they're actually worth, I think I'd be up for it.

Denyer
2016-03-09, 08:14 PM
Pretty decent. Did I hear that the yellow Cosmos repaint is Scrounge?

Skyquake87
2016-03-09, 08:29 PM
That does look pretty good. *Hopes for Abominus*

Clay
2016-03-10, 02:52 AM
So is Afterburner made from Groove?

Warcry
2016-03-10, 03:53 AM
Pretty decent. Did I hear that the yellow Cosmos repaint is Scrounge?
Yes. Not sure who the little Targetmaster is meant to be, though.

So is Afterburner made from Groove?
Looks like it! It seems like they added new parts to make him look more futuristic, though.

That does look pretty good. *Hopes for Abominus*
Doesn't seem likely anymore. Not unless we want Sinnertwin to be a car, Rippersnapper to be a jeep, etc., anyway... :(

Skyquake87
2016-03-10, 09:23 AM
Bum. Stupid "no animals for you" toy making ethos. *shakes fist*

Heinrad
2016-03-13, 12:56 AM
Chromedone and Hardheaded look pretty good. Having seen what they plan to do to Nightbeat..... that one, I'll skip.

Although at the rate things are going, will there be an MTMTE by the time this is all over? They keep turning the cast into the new gimmick toys.

Clay
2016-03-24, 09:41 PM
http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/03/24/hasbro-transformers-combiner-wars-deluxe-class-protectobot-groove-preorders-311872

Hasbro release of deluxe class Groove, y'all.

Unicron
2016-03-24, 09:54 PM
http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/03/24/hasbro-transformers-combiner-wars-deluxe-class-protectobot-groove-preorders-311872

*insert generic complaint about it being announced a fair bit after the release of the Unite Warriors version*

Have to say I'm a little surprised by this. I wasn't expecting Hasbro to actually release it. Really makes me wonder why even bother with Rook if they were just going to release Groove like this

Warcry
2016-03-24, 10:11 PM
I don't think they initially intended to. It's probably something they decided on after the fact because they smelled money, like with Slingshot and Wildrider.

I'd probably buy Groove if he ever showed up locally or with Canadian online retailers, but then I'd just wind up finding a Blades to complete the team and hating it because of how terrible a likeness it is, so it's probably for the best that he doesn't. :)

Denyer
2016-03-24, 11:09 PM
Obviously double-dipping plays a part, but I assume there's some TT back scratching and it's two-way to an extent; coughing up for tooling Rook means having it for other planned stuff, after all, even if it's further down the line.

Hound
2016-03-25, 02:13 AM
Gettin' it

numbat
2016-03-25, 07:59 AM
Have to say I'm a little surprised by this. I wasn't expecting Hasbro to actually release it. Really makes me wonder why even bother with Rook if they were just going to release Groove like this
Yeah, but they did the same with Offroad and Wildrider (with the latter having a limited web release, if I'm correct? Given where I live in Scotland, all my Transformers come from online orders so it's hard to keep track of what is actually supposed to be available in stores).

I got both Offroad and Wildrider, and like the way that lends itself to the Scramble City idea, being able to swap in or out an extra team member. Being a bit OCD means I do really want that extra bot to be part of the actual team, rather than some other random character.

That said, I suspect others are correct and this has been a decision made on balance of evidence later in the day in Groove's case.

Thunderwave
2016-03-26, 01:21 AM

Son of a #$@&%!

Brendocon 2.0
2016-03-26, 12:44 PM
Wait, so there are people who weren't expecting Hasbro to release Groove once Takara had done the legwork on it?

Thunderwave
2016-03-26, 12:58 PM
Wait, so there are people who weren't expecting Hasbro to release Groove once Takara had done the legwork on it?

I would of thought an announcement would of come well before now. I'm not really -that- annoyed. The other Takara limbs have better colors imho, and the blue on Hot Spot is dead on, so after a little thought it's more of a "meh" at this point.

Sades
2016-03-26, 03:54 PM
Gettin' it

FIGHT!

J/K.

Denyer
2016-03-26, 11:48 PM
So is the smart money on info being released shortly at BotCon about this hitting Amazon and Hasbro's own store in due course? Haven't spotted UK retailers listing yet...

Brendocon 2.0
2016-03-28, 09:35 PM
So is the smart money on info being released shortly at BotCon about this hitting Amazon and Hasbro's own store in due course? Haven't spotted UK retailers listing yet...

Kapow's FB says they're getting some in May. No preorders though as they don't know how much stock they'll get.