PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro releases: Prime Wars, Titans Return, Robots in Disguise, Masterpiece, etc. toys

Pages : [1] 2 3

Blackjack
2014-07-24, 08:12 PM
COMBINER WARS:

TFW2005 (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/san-diego-comic-con-33/post-panel-transformers-case-update-more-menasor-and-superion-at-sdcc-2014-180791/)
Seibertron Menasor/Superion gallery (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/sdcc-2014-coverage-generations-combiner-wars-superion-and-menasor/30897/)
Press pictures (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/sdcc-2014-coverage-hasbro-brand-panel-images/30899/)

Big theme for 2015 is Combiners, and is confirmed to be 100% Scramble City. It's also confirmed to be unrelated to the Fall of Cybertron Bruticus gimmick (yesss). Superion will be the first released, with each team more or less corresponding around the same wave and IDW will create additional pack-in comics to explain their origin. IDW released a preview image by Livio showing Superion and Menasor.

Click on the pictures just to look at the toys, yeah? Not all of the individual members are seen, as far as I can tell they only showed the ones from deluxe wave 1 and the two team leaders.

Deluxe wave 1 includes Firefly (new name for Fireflight), Skydive, Dragstrip and Alpha Bravo (new name for Slingshot)
Deluxe wave 2 includes Air Raid, Dead End, Breakdown and Offroad (new name for Wildrider)
Voyager wave 1 includes Silverbolt and Optimus Prime (the one we saw before who is apparently combiner compatible to some degree)
Voyager wave 2 includes Motormaster (no longer Motorhead!)

Legends wave 1 will include Powerglide (who is compatible as a gun for Superion), Thundercracker, Windcharger (repaint of Tailgate) and Bombshell (no longer Hardshell!). We saw most of these guys at Botcon without partners, and it seems like they won't be having them.

ROBOTS IN DISGUISE:

TFW2005 (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/san-diego-comic-con-33/sdcc-2014-hasbro-transformers-panel-pics-part-2-robots-in-disguise-180790/)
Cartoon screenshots (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/san-diego-comic-con-33/sdcc2014-first-look-at-robots-in-disguise-cartoon-180789/)

We've heard about Robots in Disgsuise before, the next cartoon. It's set in the same continuity with TF: Prime and has a good chunk of the original creative team, but not directly taking place after that series. Bumblebee and Optimus Prime are confirmed to return, and the rest of the Prime cast may make an appearance if the show is renewed for a second season. The show is a hybrid between Animated and Prime aesthetically.

Among other confirmed characters are Sideswipe (he's red and he's got arm blades), Fixit (who has wheels instead of feet and a boxy head) and Strongarm (female Autobot police car who's the team rookie), Underbite (Decepticon dinosaur that turns into a car) plus the Dinobots are confirmed, but not a lot have been revealed yet. There's also a bunch of new human cast of course. Confirmed voice actors include Will Friedle (returning as Bumblebee), Mitchell Whitfield (Fixit), Darren Criss (Sideswipe), Constance Zimmer and Ted McGinley.

Line will apparently be split a la Age of Extinction. The toyline preview includes One-Step Changers Sideswipe and Underbite, Deluxe Class Bumblebee, Legion/Legends Class Optimus PRime and Strongarm.

Trailer for the cartoon. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S58wgEVXDAQ) Ground Bridges make a return from Prime, Optimus Prime appears to be a ghost.

Random exclusive Protectobots:
http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-product-images-of-hasbro-protectobots/30895/

Seems to be just a store exclusive: one set contains ROTF Blazemaster as Blades and Universe Grapple as Hot Spot, the other contains Prime Ratchet as First Aid, Prime Prowl as Streetwise and Prime Legends Arcee as Groove.

What you don't expect from these Protectobots is that they seem to homage the obscure Guard City team. Hot Spot at least has Fire Chief's colour, and the rest are reasonably similar to Fly-Up, Streetstar and motorcycle-dude-who-I-forgot Sparkride. Safety's all wrong though. I blame Zigzagger for the fact that I know what these guys look like.

Other Stuff:
From the various Seibertron/TFW2005/Allspar threads, they had a trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W78Gd1i_xzg) for Angry Birds Transformers, new Kre-O you can transform without taking apart, Platinum Edition Grimlock/Prime 2-packs exclusive to K-Mart, Masterpiece Grimlock exclusive to TRU and G1 colors Slog as an Amazon exclusive.

Blackjack
2014-07-24, 08:31 PM
Personally...

Screw Menasor and Superion, I'm hyped for the Skydive and Breakdown

Clay
2014-07-24, 09:09 PM
Well, as someone who has giant third party versions of both those teams, I feel compelled to answer the question of whether or not I regret my purchase in light of official Hasbro versions. The answer is no, no I do not regret them.

But these look like fair fun as individual robots... maybe. Can we have Seacons now?

Clay
2014-07-24, 09:19 PM
Hey! Blackjack makes the chest plate for Menasor! (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-generations-classics-30-35/legends-blackjack-huffer-accidentally-revealed-180795/)

Skyquake87
2014-07-24, 10:06 PM
I like the look of these Combiners. They look fun! And I love that Blackjack turns into Menasor's chest piece :D

Be interested to see how the new cartoon turns out too.

Unicron
2014-07-24, 10:17 PM
Looking at the Menasor pics, I'm pretty certain that Motormaster is a repaint/remold of that Optimus (or t'other way round). Which would explain why Prime looked like he had combiner gimmickry. EDIT: Ok, reporting confirms that. Guess I should have read more before commenting.

I don't think they look awful, but I'm pretty sure the posing in those display cases isn't helping thing. Menasor's hips and legs look really funky with how he's standing there.
I think my interest is somewhat contingent on the existence of giftsets. I really don't want the Energon problem of putting together half a set and then never seeing the rest.

I'm a little perplexed by the Legends stuff. I mean Powerglide being a gun for Superion, Blackjack being Menasor's chest plate. Seems like and extra level of pain in the ass for completing the combiners. Superion would be fairly ok without a gun, but I have a feeling Menasor is gonna look funky without the chest plate. Wait and see for more info, I suppose.

Denyer
2014-07-24, 10:33 PM
http://tformers.com/sdcc-2014-official-photos-of-generations-combiner-wars-stunticons-and-aerialbots/24273/news.html

Hmm. Obviously interested to see what they look like without photoshopping... but could be tempted by a few of the individual team members.

Warcry
2014-07-25, 12:33 AM
My web browser ate my long, thought-out reply, so you get this instead.

Motormaster :|

Drag Strip :cool:

Dead End :zzz:

Wildrider :eyebrow:

Breakdown :wtf:

Blackjack :confused:

Silverbolt :yawn:

Air Raid :D

Fireflight :laugh:

Skydive :(

Slingshot :up:

zigzagger
2014-07-25, 01:42 AM
And I got all excited when my eye caught the word "Protectobots" in the header of some thread over at TFW. Then I got sad when I realized that they were just dumb ol' repaints :(

Still, the nods to Fire Chief and Fly-Up... how odd. So far out from the left field, that is. I can appreciate the reference in spite of my disappointment.

---

The combiner teams look about as well as I expected them to be. Still, a mark up from the FOC Combaticons, though that probably isn't saying much. The proportions are better, at least with Superion. Not so much with Menasor.

The Aerialbots look alright, I guess. The deluxes seem a bit simplistic, don't they? Dig Skydive and Air Raid, though. And Silverbolt isn't too bad, but nothing to write home about.

Though the lone helicopter in the team of jets is kind of throwing my OCD for a loop. Getting a strong Blades vibe from this so-called Slingshot/Alpha Bravo fellow.

The Stunticons, though... eeeeeehhhh, I don't know. Blackjack's pretty nifty, and his reveal seems to be getting the most attention from the fandom -- which is flippin' hilarious, as he's the smallest, most simplistic of the set!

Unicron
2014-07-25, 02:46 AM
Though the lone helicopter in the team of jets is kind of throwing my OCD for a loop. Getting a strong Blades vibe from this so-called Slingshot/Alpha Bravo fellow.
Yeah, they seem to have set up well for the repaints later. Hell, the front end of that helicopter mode makes me think space shuttle, so they could be heavily retooling the back end to get Blast Off from it.

Of course, since we're getting Prime out of the Motormaster mold, seems like we'll get the other Stunticons done up as Jazz, Sideswipe, Mirage and Windcharger.

Thunderwave
2014-07-25, 03:02 AM
Personally if they want to go all Scramble City again I'm totally cool with that. I never had a super attachment to Superion or Menasor so I wasn't about to shell out for the 3rd party versions, and these will do nicely for the most part.

I am a little sad about the Protectobots though. It is nice, however, to see them getting a little love. Maybe this is a warm-up for next year's Combiner Wars and we'll see a proper combiner Defensor?

Clay
2014-07-25, 04:28 AM
I am a little sad about the Protectobots though. It is nice, however, to see them getting a little love. Maybe this is a warm-up for next year's Combiner Wars and we'll see a proper combiner Defensor?

I wouldn't count them out just yet. They've already shown a helicopter and multiple cars, so remolds of those would give Streetwise and Blades... maybe. Who knows about the rest?

Blackjack
2014-07-25, 04:52 AM
Hey! Blackjack makes the chest plate for Menasor! (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-generations-classics-30-35/legends-blackjack-huffer-accidentally-revealed-180795/)

I woke up to this.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH A NEW BLACKJACK TOY

BLACKJACKKKKKKKK

TURNING INTO MENASOR'S BRAAAAAAA

You know what? All the lukewarm-looking Aerialbots and Stunticons and whatever? And the Slingshots and Wildriders getting different alternate modes? All that are totally worth it for this.

EDIT: I saw the pictures for Blackjack. It's actually quite wonderful! I expected something that's not quite a good a homage, but I do find it extremely awesome that Blackjack is more faithful to his G1 counterpart than a third of the Stunticons and Aerialbots.

ganon578
2014-07-25, 02:18 PM
Not bad on any of these, IMO. I don't know if I will buy any of them, but I like the thought behind it.

I had to do a double take on Superion. In the stock photos, he looks pretty cool and well put together. Whoever assembled him for the case photos for SDCC made him look like he's having some sort of lower back spasm, which coincidentally made me notice his incredibly wide and open crotch area with spindly thighs.

Terome
2014-07-25, 02:28 PM
I quite like these! The faces are fun.

Warcry
2014-07-25, 05:14 PM
A few more thoughts, after looking at them more closely and seeing what other folks are saying...

"Slingshot" is pretty close to Vortex, isn't he? He's got the guy's cartoon model head, the same alt-mode, and big weapon pods on the sides of his helicopter. Hasbro planning ahead for an eventual Bruticus, perhaps?

"Wildrider" is very odd because he's neither got the right alt-mode or colours. People on other boards have pointed out that the mold (though not the colours) looks an awful lot like Ruckus of all people.

Regardless of who they're designed to be, it's easy to imagine those two redecoed (maybe with new heads) as Blades and First Aid, and one of the Stunticon cars turned into Streetwise. Then you're only two new molds away from a Defensor.

The inclusion of a sixth member of the teams in Legends form really opens up the field for what they can do, if they continue this gimmick and don't just finish out the line with a bunch of redecos of molds we've already seen. The Seacons already have the "gestalt uses one team member as a gun" thing down, a Legends-class chestplate would make a six-member Devastator work, and the same could be said for Monstructor.

The Aerialbots look really cool in robot mode (though it's a shame about Skydive's head), but their alt-modes are pretty awful. The arms are clearly visible in the stock photos. Stunticons are sort of the opposite, with cool cars but less-than-cool robots.

Blackjack
2014-07-25, 06:41 PM
Taking a look more closely at them, here are my thoughts on each individual one:

Silverbolt: He's basically the original G1 toy with articulation, isn't he? He's even got the super-long gun down. Like Warcry said above the Aerialbots generally have better robot modes but have really kibbly jet modes. Not particularly interested -- one Silverbolt toy that transforms into a jet with a compact robot under it is enough for me.

Air Raid: is it me or has he changed his alternate mode from an F15 to... something else with swept-wings? The F14 Tomcat I think? Regardless I think he looks pretty nice.

Skydive: Skydive's lost those lightning bolts on his wings! NOOOO! I'll still get him because I really do like Skydive's character, but between the funny-looking head and the lack of lightning bolts he's really making it a hard sell.

Fireflight: He's kinda cool. Nothing to complain about.

Slingshot: Like Warcry said, he's basically Vortex -- I didn't even notice that he has a faceplate instead of a mouth. I'm not quite sure of this technique of swapping out every fifth member for something with potential redecoes in the future, but Slingshot is the Aerialbot I don't care about since he's a little shit, so yeah. Far more excited about potential Vortex, Blackout or Spinister redecoes this mold can spawn. That is an awesome looking gun, though.

Motormaster: Never really been a fan of Motormaster's original design, and this is a nice update. I need him so I can latch Blackjack onto him. The mold works a lot better as Motormaster than as Optimus Prime, and he does have a cool sword

Breakdown: Uh, yeah, he looks like Pat Lee drew his face. He looks kind of disappointing to be honest despite being initially excited by him. The white just looks unappealing. He comes with a sword because...?

Dead End: Do like Dead End's car mode! His robot mode looks extremely generic, though for whatever reason he seems to wield one of those exhaust pipes from a truck. And it's vaguely shaped like a nightstick. Maybe a future Streetwise retool? Just have him face the other way a la Sideswipe/Sunstreaker and you'll have it.

Dragstrip: Dragstrip is the prettiest of the four small Stunticons. Not much else to say.

"Wildrider": It's really, really weird. Other than being mainly black, he doesn't look like Wildrider. Wildrider is supposed to have red as a secondary colour instead of blue, and his alternate mode, while appropriate for Wildrider's personality of crashing through things, doesn't look anything like his original G1 altmode.

Maybe it's telling that he's not released as Wildrider, since IIRC it wasn't that long ago that we had a Wildrider as part of the Animated Botcon set. It could just be them using a planned mold for First Aid or someone down the road and later redeco Breakdown or Dead End into Wildrider...

I disagree with the Ruckus statement, between the alternate mode, the face and his role in MTMTE, he looks more like a potential Crankcase to me.

Blackjack: Blackjack loses his mouth, but is otherwise an immaculate update of the original Micromaster toy... and he gets a rather silly-looking axe to boot! It's a totally random choice even if it's one that makes sense to make the original roller car that came with Motormaster as a transformer... I'm not complaining, since we're getting a new Blackjack toy. Even if he's not named that, he still fits Blackjack so well that it can't be anything else except for him. Car mode's a bit disappointing.

RID toys in general we haven't seen the non-kiddified toys other than Bumblebee (and I don't need another one of him) so none that I want.

EDIT: And can I say how happy I am that the fists seem to be additional parts instead of stupid integrated not-hands like they tried to do with Fall of Cybertron Bruticus?

EDIT2: Link for RID trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S58wgEVXDAQ). Personally not a big fan of the aesthetic... it looks clunky, and doesn't have the realistic gritty feel that Prime has, nor does it look absurdly cartoonish enough to be Animated. Regrettably we see the return of stock footage transformations. Less regrettably are the return of Ground Bridges from Prime, and what appears to be a Golden Disk. Optimus Prime is like a ghost or something. There are new Skids-looking generics. Eh, I suppose I'll see if I like it when the show actually, you know, shows up.

numbat
2014-07-25, 08:06 PM
Hmmm... I thought Hasbro may bring out a new Menasor for some reason. Now I'm thinking I should maybe track down the third party version...

Not super impressed by any of these - I actually prefer FOC Bruticus. At least his component robots had individuality. These updates take the G1 Scramble City homage too far in their generic styles, yet fail to actually do so for the characters themselves.

Of the lot, I like Motormaster's robot mode, but his truck mode is awful. As to the rest? Meh.

Quite disappointing really.

Skyquake87
2014-07-25, 08:51 PM
I still remain pretty excited by these. I'll be betting they wont show up in the UK though! Hooray!

I like that there's some liberties taken with alt modes and whatnot - slavish G1 homages are boring.

Menasor looks a bit weird though - tiny head, podgy torso and MASSIVE HANDS - which is a bit disappointing.

So far though - all good for me. I like fun toys. And these look like fun. Am expecting them to be tiny, less impressive in real life and with probably fewer paint apps etc than the photoshopping suggests.

HeavyArms
2014-07-26, 05:37 PM
The combiners do look a bit weird/messy, but screw it I'm definitely getting them.

Tantrum
2014-07-26, 11:57 PM
And can I say how happy I am that the fists seem to be additional parts instead of stupid integrated not-hands like they tried to do with Fall of Cybertron Bruticus?Photos where you can see the side of a gestalt leg show that the foot pieces have heel supports that look just like the thumbs. All the gestalt toes look like pairs of cannons. It looks like they went the Energon combiner route and had the feet/hands change into weapons for the limb-bots. From the close-ups, they used the same basic design for all the hand-feet, but with different sculpting detail. This should work particularly well for the Stunticons, since they each came with a double barreled cannon for their car mode.

This also explains why the hands are big, since they have to transform into feet that can support the whole bot. It looks like the cannons aren't the fingers, so maybe the actual hand part of the hand is somewhat proportionate, but the extra mass of the same-colored cannons make them look bigger.

zigzagger
2014-07-29, 06:12 PM
So, yeah, the Combiner Wars tie-in comics... it's infecting affecting the Robots In Disguise and Windblade Returns books (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/comics-16/sdcc-idw-press-release-transformers-combiner-wars-angry-birds-information-180838/).

And leaving More Than Meets The Eye unscathed. Thank you :)

Blackjack
2014-07-29, 06:41 PM
So, yeah, the Combiner Wars tie-in comics... it's infecting affecting the Robots In Disguise and Windblade Returns books (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/comics-16/sdcc-idw-press-release-transformers-combiner-wars-angry-birds-information-180838/).

And leaving More Than Meets The Eye unscathed. Thank you :)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Would make sense that it will affect RID: Superion is already in that particular title, after all, and last I remember most of the Stunticons (who can combine anyway) are on Cybertron as well. So yeah, totally makes sense.

That also means Blackjack will be on Cybertron and no chance of him being part of Team Misfire. NOOOOOOOOOOO

Also, I've been calling it since the Constructicons showed up in RID with a giant Long Haul -- five man team with a Voyager Long Haul as a chest. That was why they got rid of Scrapper, to promote a god damned new toy.

Hopefully Scrapper gets made into a Legends class toy so he can hang out with his buddies. And hopefully Hasbro doesn't get any ideas of Devastaprowl.

Denyer
2014-07-29, 06:42 PM
Thank **** for that. Though I liked the first Windblade series enough to check out another one... the last issue went a long way towards boosting it up.

zigzagger
2014-07-29, 08:02 PM
Agree that RID's inclusion makes sense, seeing as it's already the dumping ground for toy-related tie-ins. Gets the blunt of it, anyway. A shame about Windblade, though; the first series showed such promise.

MTMTE kind of exists in its own bubble. Generally, it doesn't seem too concerned what's happening in its sister title. Which is probably one reason why its inclusion in Dark Cybertron felt so jarring to me.

Blackjack
2014-07-29, 08:03 PM
Personally wouldn't mind the combiners infesting Windblade as long as it's done right.

The problem is, well, if it will be done right.

IDW's last attempt at toy promotion is delegating each issue random toy-only characters like Crosscut and Tankor two pages to 'shine'.

Knightdramon
2014-07-29, 08:56 PM
But to be fair, ever since, Crosscut's been promoted from "who?" to "hey it's that dude again in some panels".

But I do get what you people are saying. Who would have thought that [broadly speaking] the same crowd that went "hey we want comic book toy tie ins NOW" is now more or less going "keep the toys out of my comic" :lol:

Unicron
2014-07-29, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't be so sure about MTMTE going unscathed by this whole Combiner Wars thing. It's quite possible that they'll use MTMTE for tie-in comics for later waves. All 5 Protectobots are part of the Lost Light crew currently, and I could easily see some of the shown off combiner limbs being retooled into them, with some new molds tossed in (I see Hot Spot being done as a ladder truck like RID Prime, with Onslaught being a retool switching out the ladder rig for a big ass cannon).
Though I expect Roberts' efforts on the combiner front would end up being better, as he'd have more lead time to develop the characters and make their becoming Defensor a natural progression rather than 'here's a plot device and now people can combine'.

Also, I've been calling it since the Constructicons showed up in RID with a giant Long Haul -- five man team with a Voyager Long Haul as a chest. That was why they got rid of Scrapper, to promote a god damned new toy.

If they killed Scrapper so they could promote a new toy, that is some crazy long term planning. He's been dead what, three years now?

Blackjack
2014-07-31, 06:49 AM
Oooh, if the Protectobots do appear and be major characters in MTMTE thanks to Combiner Wars I think Ziggy's head will explode in happiness.

RE: Scrapper... if they're doing that, it might be the reason why we got a Scoop seemingly out of random (all the other toys from G1 are either already prominent characters in IDW or imported from other continuities). They might be pre-empting the Scrapper retool from Scoop for Scrapper's glorious return as a separate entity from Devastator.

In other news: ANGRY BIRDS TOYS

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/official-angry-birds-transformers-toy-images/30957/

Is no one excited? No? Okay then...

numbat
2014-07-31, 12:24 PM
RE: Scrapper... if they're doing that, it might be the reason why we got a Scoop seemingly out of random (all the other toys from G1 are either already prominent characters in IDW or imported from other continuities). They might be pre-empting the Scrapper retool from Scoop for Scrapper's glorious return as a separate entity from Devastator.

Was Scoop not quite prominent in Dark Cybertron?

Skyquake87
2014-07-31, 09:12 PM
Not really. He waffled some cobblers about prophecies to Starscream, then didn't show up again until then end and when he did had switched tack from proclaiming Starscream some sort of Jesus to saying he's RUINED CBYERTRON FOREVER. Then: Shockwave and nobody cared.

Scoop seems a decent character, but Gods Balls, Barber turned him into such a cosmic fart of a guy. Awful Awful Awful.

numbat
2014-07-31, 09:52 PM
I kinda viewed that as prominent, compared to the majority of the cast of that story. He was really pathetic though.

Blackjack
2014-07-31, 10:11 PM
He was pretty prominent in Dark Cybertron, considering everyone else kinda did nothing. Scoop kept showing up to do his thing and stuff.

Terome
2014-08-02, 01:23 PM
Man, Scoop is such a shame. That issue with him being a good Christian and fixing things only to get hilariously worked over by Starscream and Rattrap was great. Everything I can remember about his appearances in Dark Cybertron was nonsensical and undermining.

OH WELL

What were we talking about? Combiner Wars? I don't have high hopes for the fiction. The last big toy-promotion event in the comics did not work out well and 30 years of misfires have taught us that combiners are best left off the page. Also, the Arielbots and the Stunticons have so far only been in stories that are deeply dumb.

Denyer
2015-01-03, 12:19 AM
Combiner Wars Leader Megs scrubbed up better than the photos from last year. Still not really interested at that price and scale -- would've gone for as a voyager.

http://i.imgur.com/w94KZCy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/w94KZCy.jpg

Unicron
2015-01-03, 12:24 AM
Combiner Wars Leader Megs scrubbed up better than the photos from last year. Still not really interested at that price and scale -- would've gone for as a voyager.
Definitely an improvement on the first round of pictures, but I'm still not digging it. Aside from being Megatron, I'm not seeing what justifies it being a Leader. Voyager may have worked better. And something about the arm cannon bugs me, I think the way the business end is narrower than the rest of it. Doesn't look right to me.

Clay
2015-01-03, 02:52 AM
Definitely an improvement on the first round of pictures, but I'm still not digging it. Aside from being Megatron, I'm not seeing what justifies it being a Leader. Voyager may have worked better.

He has working tank treads, so there's that.

Unicron
2015-01-03, 04:37 AM
He has working tank treads, so there's that.
That's news to me. Still, I don't think that's quite enough to draw my interest. Probably need to wait for some in-hand or at least non-stock pictures (something like in a display case at a con).

Since it hasn't been brought up in the thread yet, there were recent-ish reports of some other things for the Combiner Wars line:
Leader-class Ultra Magnus (listing spotted in some store's computer system)
Various Protectobots (also seen in a store's computer system)
Titan-class Devastator (I think this was just 'rumor' from someone who's given good info the past. Supposed to be something like a giftset of 6 Constructicons, basically being the Metroplex for this year: big ass item for the line.)

inflatable dalek
2015-01-03, 08:29 AM
If there's a Voyager Megatron, there's no way MTMTE won't be tying into it (or even the Armada Megs retool) will there?

Knightdramon
2015-01-03, 11:04 AM
There's no voyager; this thing is a leader :)

MTMTE has been stated to be out of combiner wars overall. Since Combiner Wars start around issue 39 or so, and that's the beginning or middle of a DJD saga in MTMTE, there's no way they'd hop around for that.

No, we get the dreadful windblade mini back to be the sister series for CW.

On topic though, this Megatron looks great. I like how more "filled out" he looks with just hints of those tank treads and a better body shot from the previous awful stock photo.

He also is way more articulated than he initially looked.

I sincerely hope he keeps that glorious silver, but I'm not holding me breath [for the most recent example, see Generations Crosscut].

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-01-03, 01:13 PM
I have a feeling that Leader Megs' fusion cannon is clipped on the wrong way round. That would improve the look somewhat. Overall though, pass. Too ugly for my taste. Points for working tank treads, though.

Denyer
2015-01-03, 11:22 PM
I sincerely hope he keeps that glorious silver, but I'm not holding me breath [for the most recent example, see Generations Crosscut].

Do they normally bother airbrushing the in-packaging shots?

http://i.imgur.com/PnT9BWH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PnT9BWH.jpg

electro girl
2015-01-04, 12:31 AM
I was torn between the G1 and Armada Megs but when I found out Armada Megs won't have his cool knife thing I thought I'd get G1 style instead.

inflatable dalek
2015-01-04, 03:12 AM
MTMTE has been stated to be out of combiner wars overall. Since Combiner Wars start around issue 39 or so, and that's the beginning or middle of a DJD saga in MTMTE, there's no way they'd hop around for that.

MTMTE ISSUE 40 EXCLUSIVE EXTRACT:

Hot Spot: Oh no! Even though I and my Protectobots have used the new spark of combination gubbins to fight the DJD in the form of Defensor, my leg is now giving me jip! Who shall now save us!

Megatron: Don't worry, my new body also gifted to my by the spark of combination (which luckily zapped us from a distance when if was found in the main Combiner Wars comic without us needing to do a proper crossover) just happens to be a combiner as well. Protectobots form on me!

DEFENSORTRON: TAKE THAT TARN! IT MAY HAVE TURNED OUT YOU WEREN'T ACTUALLY ROLLER, BUT I'M ROLLERING ON YOU NOW!

If the comics are being used to promote these toys, and Megatron is getting not one but two big expensive toys in the line (albeit reworkings of the same mould), at least one of them will be in MTMTE. Best case scenario is he just starts looking like one of them (and after Armada Starscream it might not be the obvious one), alongside the Protectobots being both prominent and in their new toy forms as well, without any mention of combination.

Clay
2015-01-04, 03:49 AM
That's news to me. Still, I don't think that's quite enough to draw my interest. Probably need to wait for some in-hand or at least non-stock pictures (something like in a display case at a con).

Haven't actually seen the working treads confirmed anywhere; it's just something that I noticed in the picture. The tank uses four tracks instead of two, and none of them are broken up for the robot mode (indeed, the robot wears two sets as a backpack to accommodate them). Therefore, working treads.

Since it hasn't been brought up in the thread yet, there were recent-ish reports of some other things for the Combiner Wars line:
Leader-class Ultra Magnus (listing spotted in some store's computer system)
Various Protectobots (also seen in a store's computer system)
Titan-class Devastator (I think this was just 'rumor' from someone who's given good info the past. Supposed to be something like a giftset of 6 Constructicons, basically being the Metroplex for this year: big ass item for the line.)

Yeah, the Protectobots can be reworked just from what's been shown so far: Streetwise as one of the Stunticon cars with a lightbar, First Aid from Off Road, and Blades from the helicopter Aerialbot. They could even cheat and have Groove be a car too and reuse another Stunticon. That'd really just leave Hotspot, who could be another version of the Prime / Motormaster mold.

As far as Devastator goes, could be neat. From what I understand, Titan class is more about price point than height, so I'd expect a Devastator to be shorter and much heavier than Metroplex.

EDIT: After looking at pictures of Offroad again, that may not work for First Aid after all. But the gist is the same.

Tantrum
2015-01-04, 05:04 AM
Yeah, the Protectobots can be reworked just from what's been shown so far: Streetwise as one of the Stunticon cars with a lightbar, First Aid from Off Road, and Blades from the helicopter Aerialbot. They could even cheat and have Groove be a car too and reuse another Stunticon. That'd really just leave Hotspot, who could be another version of the Prime / Motormaster mold.I think they'd leave Groove as a motorcycle they can retool into Afterburner. I certainly hope that 4 out 5 Protectobots aren't just Stunticon retools. Some mold reuse is understandable, but they'd need to mix it up a little. If a team's going be made entirely out of reused molds, those molds should come from a variety of teams. If they want to recycle an entire team, maybe redo the Stunticons as Autobots, like in Masquerade.

The Stunticon and Arialbot they've replaced were the same ones left out of the Kre-O combiner sets. I wonder if that's a coincidence, or if they plan to revamp one member of each team. I know 4 member Kre-O teams were required by the combiner design; I just wonder how much thought they put into who gets left out.

Unicron
2015-01-04, 05:55 AM
If the comics are being used to promote these toys, and Megatron is getting not one but two big expensive toys in the line (albeit reworkings of the same mould), at least one of them will be in MTMTE. Best case scenario is he just starts looking like one of them (and after Armada Starscream it might not be the obvious one), alongside the Protectobots being both prominent and in their new toy forms as well, without any mention of combination.

They don't necessarily have to work in the Combiner Wars McGuffin for the Protectobots to happen. Scientists, engineers, and medics on the ship, Megatron and his experience with combiners (was after them for a long time, even had a body intended to be part of Devastator at one point, so it stands to reason he has a fair bit of knowledge on the subject), nothing says Defensor can't be a development independent from the CW goings-on.

I could see Defensor being developed, and Megatron upgraded into one of the new toy bodies, in preparation for the inevitable DJD confrontation. Maybe more likely for a second run in, after a first one that goes poorly for the Lost Light.

Yeah, the Protectobots can be reworked just from what's been shown so far: Streetwise as one of the Stunticon cars with a lightbar, First Aid from Off Road, and Blades from the helicopter Aerialbot. They could even cheat and have Groove be a car too and reuse another Stunticon. That'd really just leave Hotspot, who could be another version of the Prime / Motormaster mold.

As far as Devastator goes, could be neat. From what I understand, Titan class is more about price point than height, so I'd expect a Devastator to be shorter and much heavier than Metroplex.

As I recall, the Protectobot listings included several of the normal names, plus a new one: Rook. I forget if that was in place of or in addition to the normal 5.

And yeah, that's pretty much the standard thinking for how the Protectobot toys will go: bunch of remolds from the first two waves, possibly with a new mold or two mixed in. Though I'm still expecting Hotspot to share a base mold with Onslaught. Switch the head and swap the ladder for an artillery piece and you're pretty much there. Seems like a better option that Prime/Motormaster mold v3.
Could probably get First Aid and Swindle out of one, if they switch Swindle to a more APC-like alt mode instead of a jeep.

That's pretty much what I meant about Devastator. Not necessarily the size of Metroplex, but filling his role as big ticket item for the line this year. I recall people theorizing that a set of 6 Voyagers (or around that size) would fit the likely price point. The only question is do we get an optional Prowl-head to use with it...

Warcry
2015-01-04, 07:01 AM
EDIT: After looking at pictures of Offroad again, that may not work for First Aid after all. But the gist is the same.
The robot mode is pretty close IMO. The alt-mode being a pickup truck makes it a bit more interesting, though. I suppose they could remold him into a rescue SUV, but the extra mass would make the legs pretty clunky.

If they want to recycle an entire team, maybe redo the Stunticons as Autobots, like in Masquerade.
That's actually in the offing too according to some of the rumours flying around.

As I recall, the Protectobot listings included several of the normal names, plus a new one: Rook. I forget if that was in place of or in addition to the normal 5.
I think that Blades, Streetwise, First Aid and Rook were listed as Deluxes, with Groove as the Legends figure to compliment the group. So he's still slated to be a part of Defensor, just not a limb the way he was in G1. Looking at the CW Legends so far, I guess he'll either be the gestalt's chestplate or gun.

Skyquake87
2015-01-04, 09:40 AM
My one wish out of all this toy excitement is that the comic book character models are left alone. It takes me out of the experience of reading the comics to see characters turn up wearing an entirely new body just because Hasbro are super keen for the 10,000 comic book readers to buy their toys...which would likely happen anyway, with or without the cross-promotion. Sigh.

Megatron looks alright from that pic above, a bit like his current comic book design. Looks better than that Optimus toy I've seen in the shops which looks far too bulky.

I wonder if Groove will be like Blackjack and form armour for Defensor...? Or a weapon like those Human Alliance Basics.

Knightdramon
2015-01-04, 10:52 AM
This Megatron is based on the body he wears in RID from issues 14--end of Dark Cybertron, With some cues from the MTMTE body [big riffle splits in two handguns, fusion cannon appears detachable, is rumoured to have a switching autobot symbol].

Skyquake87
2015-01-04, 09:28 PM
Had a look at some picks of Megs in alt mode and robot mode over at TFW 2005 and he looks pretty decent, all told. The Armada version somehow manages to be poorer than , well the original Armada toy... nice to see some newer lines recognised in the Generations line...although 2002 doesn't seem so far away to me.

Menasor looks pretty poor as a gestalt though. Its down to Motormaster, sadly. The truck mode is good, but the robot is just too bulky and weird looking and has a tiny tiny head in a box (I'd have just jettisoned this and risked fanboy ire myself as it looks crappy) in robot mode and Menasor himself also has a disproportionately small head and the limbs look really bulky and overshadow the torso altogether. The rest of the Stunticons look neat though and I am quite excited about them.

Denyer
2015-01-05, 06:55 PM
https://www.facebook.com/transformers/photos/a.153259298077606.36631.146805978722938/766569493413247/?type=1&fref=nf

The comments thread is full of 3P photos and geewunners. I swear this fandom needs ****ing culling.

Knightdramon
2015-01-05, 08:52 PM
The comments thread is full of 3P photos and geewunners. I swear this fandom needs ****ing culling.

Fully agree. The fandom has grown a tad too large for what it actually is.

I'd very easily take half these a$$holes and trap them in 2004-2006 where the very best G1-ish we had were the G1 reissues and the occasional homage in Energon and Cybertron.

A Megatron like this, 10 years ago, would make their brains POP from excitement.

We are spoiled for choice, I guess. Trust me when I say that no other fandom has seen such a growth in the past 7 years.

Knightdramon
2015-01-05, 09:16 PM
By the way, it's confirmed by hasbro that we will be able to display him as an Autobot as well.

I hope it's not a sticker and there's some sort of moving panel somewhere.

Clay
2015-01-11, 04:45 PM
Surprise! The Insecticons have been reissued again. (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/platinum-edition-generation-1-reissue-insecticons-out-in-the-us-181833/)

Honestly I didn't know they were coming out again. And with the price of $80 (!), they can keep them. They were just reissued five (?) years ago at half that price...

Warcry
2015-01-11, 05:55 PM
I think we only heard the first rumours about a new Insecticon reissue around Christmas. I'm surprised their out already.

That price is insane! You could probably track down all three originals in good condition for less than $80 these days.

Apparently there's a set of Coneheads coming out too, but if they want $80 for the bugs they'll probably be asking something stupid like $200 for the bigger guys.

Clay
2015-01-11, 06:00 PM
Apparently there's a set of Coneheads coming out too, but if they want $80 for the bugs they'll probably be asking something stupid like $200 for the bigger guys.

More's the pity. I could actually go for a reissue set of Coneheads.

Knightdramon
2015-01-11, 09:35 PM
And a titan class combiner wars Devastator has been found in TRU Canada's listing system.

"Supposedly" six voyager sized constructicons.

Holy cow, this might be the year I buy more than 3 hasbro mainline releases :lol:

Skyquake87
2015-01-11, 10:07 PM
I dunno, $80 seems alright to me, but Hasbro's earlier reissue set has been pricy on the aftermarket for about 3 years now and whilst this RRP might seem daft, it still seems reasonable - that's what, 50 - about the same as the Takara Bookbox set and previous Hasbro Outing cost over here. Are folk just upset becasue they're now just having to pay UK prices...? :p

I could go for a set of coneheads too...

Knightdramon
2015-01-11, 10:26 PM
Not sure how I feel about the price...consider that that much money gets you [roughly] two hasbro leader class figures, which have more than 3 times each the number of parts of those insecticons and about 30 more points of articulation, it feels a bit too much.

Then again I don't have a thing for G1 figures so I'd pass on them at every instance regardless :lol:

Warcry
2015-01-11, 10:44 PM
More's the pity. I could actually go for a reissue set of Coneheads.
My thoughts were similar, at least until I remembered how much I hate the G1 seekers I already own. Then I was happy that it will probably cost too much for me to ponder buying and then regretting.

And a titan class combiner wars Devastator has been found in TRU Canada's listing system.

"Supposedly" six voyager sized constructicons.
The six-Voyagers rumour has been circling around ever since the Combiner Wars stuff was first revealed. I imagine we'll find out for sure in about a month at this year's NY Toy Fair.

I dunno, $80 seems alright to me, but Hasbro's earlier reissue set has been pricy on the aftermarket for about 3 years now and whilst this RRP might seem daft, it still seems reasonable - that's what, 50 - about the same as the Takara Bookbox set and previous Hasbro Outing cost over here. Are folk just upset becasue they're now just having to pay UK prices...? :p
Don't forget that if it's $80 in the US, it's in all likelihood going to be 80 in the UK...

And people are upset (or at least confused) because Hasbro sold the same set for $40 barely five years ago and it didn't exactly fly off the shelves for that price. Honestly I'm surprised they're reissuing them at all, at least so soon. If anything, with combiners being the big theme of this year's line you'd think they'd trot out Devastator or Bruticus or whichever other combiner molds haven't been completely destroyed. Well, not the Seacons since BBTS is still trying to get rid of the last run, or the Predacons since they did them last year (and that was some poor planning, IMO). But any of the others.

Clay
2015-01-11, 11:36 PM
My thoughts were similar, at least until I remembered how much I hate the G1 seekers I already own. Then I was happy that it will probably cost too much for me to ponder buying and then regretting.

Oh, I know the jet mold is probably the weakest of the Diaclone lot, but I like the differentiation the Coneheads embody. But I don't like it enough to pay a premium for it.

And people are upset (or at least confused) because Hasbro sold the same set for $40 barely five years ago and it didn't exactly fly off the shelves for that price.

Less than that, even... I think I paid $35 or even $30 for the set at full price. They didn't hang around here to go on clearance, though.

Well, not the Seacons since BBTS is still trying to get rid of the last run, or the Predacons since they did them last year (and that was some poor planning, IMO). But any of the others.

Are they really still trying to peddle of Seacon sets? I might look into some extra sets if they're cheap enough... They are back up to full price.

Skyquake87
2015-01-12, 09:33 AM
Don't forget that if it's $80 in the US, it's in all likelihood going to be 80 in the UK....

Heh. This is true. I wish this didn't happen. I'd love to hear retailers justification for this $1 = 1 mentality...

inflatable dalek
2015-01-12, 11:32 AM
Heh. This is true. I wish this didn't happen. I'd love to hear retailers justification for this $1 = 1 mentality...

They saw you coming:

BUnvgKhWZdI

Denyer
2015-01-12, 06:54 PM
Are they really still trying to peddle of Seacon sets? I might look into some extra sets if they're cheap enough... They are back up to full price.

Would need to check I can round up the pieces, but I've got a set I'd cheerfully swap for something.

Skyquake87
2015-01-12, 10:57 PM
They saw you coming:

Round my way, you can't move for these fecking vintage shops and the cretins that populate them.

Quite possibly my favourite Harry Enfield sketch :)

Clay
2015-01-13, 03:17 AM
More evidence of Generations Devastator (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/new-transformers-case-breakdownslistings-generations-devastator-robots-in-disguise-products-181839/) continues to trickle out. Apparently he's showing up in Canadian retail systems now.

Of course, in all likelihood, we'll get a full reveal at the upcoming New York Toy Fair at the end of the month, but still... little bits here and there are intriguing.

inflatable dalek
2015-01-13, 03:27 AM
Ohhhh, I wasn't bothered about Metroplex, but I'd go for a decent Devastator. The only reason I never pumped for the reissue was because the odds weren't great of getting a Mixmaster with a head.

Tetsuro
2015-01-15, 06:06 AM
And what's all this about a Trypticon reissue anyway?

https://www.facebook.com/transformers/photos/a.153259298077606.36631.146805978722938/766569493413247/?type=1&fref=nf

*snip*
TF has the most entitled fandom. It's also, y'know, facebook. It's not exactly a collective of the great thinkers of our time.

Ohhhh, I wasn't bothered about Metroplex, but I'd go for a decent Devastator. The only reason I never pumped for the reissue was because the odds weren't great of getting a Mixmaster with a head.
How common even was the headless Mixmaster issue?

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-01-15, 10:25 AM
My Encore had a head.

Ryan F
2015-01-15, 01:14 PM
How common even was the headless Mixmaster issue?

Quite a few had the issue, I think - I recall some vendors (TF Source maybe) offering an option where they would open up the boxes and check the contents before shipping.

However, the problem was confined to the original release. The second, toon-accurate version (purple drum on Mixmaster, different combined head, black forearms) was unaffected.

So if you do still want an Encore Devvy, you'll be safe with the animation version.

Warcry
2015-01-15, 02:37 PM
And what's all this about a Trypticon reissue anyway?
Also Blaster and Perceptor (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/more-titan-devastator-info-sdcc-g2-titan-devastator-possible-upcoming-g1-platinum-releases-181846/), if you believe the rumours. That would make for a pretty heavy year of reissues, considering the way Hasbro usually trickles out one or two at a time.

Unicron
2015-01-15, 03:09 PM
Also Blaster and Perceptor (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/more-titan-devastator-info-sdcc-g2-titan-devastator-possible-upcoming-g1-platinum-releases-181846/), if you believe the rumours. That would make for a pretty heavy year of reissues, considering the way Hasbro usually trickles out one or two at a time.

If I remember the various posts properly, I'm pretty sure most of that info (specifically on the re-issues) is coming out of Hong Kong. Makes me think some of this info pertains to Hasbro Asia exclusives as opposed to normal releases. Just a guess though

Clay
2015-01-20, 09:56 PM
More (same?) info coming from an event in Hong Kong (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/new-transformers-product-details-from-hong-kong-event-titan-devastator-reisssues-masterpiece-181885/)

Echoes some rumors that we've heard before (Titan Devastator, reissue Coneheads and Trypticon), but also gives us some potential bits about the next Masterpiece figures from Takara: Ironhide and/or Tracks?

Knightdramon
2015-01-20, 10:03 PM
Looks like a badly translated Tracks with Raul figure and Blaster tape mode accessory.

And Ironhide later in the year, although less verified.

Titan Devastator [rough test shot] on site, tons of platinum/encore reissues.

If those are platinum reissues, say hello to a 200 USD Trypticon. If 3 scout class Insecticons go for close to 100 USD, I'd dread the much larger Trypticon.

Clay
2015-01-21, 03:39 AM
Yeah, based on the Insecticons' price, Trypticon would be wacky-stupid expensive. That's bad. On the bright side, Hasbro are at least moving away from the same small pool of 1984/1985 molds that they keep re-reissuing. The other rumor is about a reissue of Blaster and Perceptor which were just reissued... five years ago? Seems a bit bizarre to retread them so soon.

Skyquake87
2015-01-21, 03:30 PM
That's a shame, as I'd be up for a Trypticon.

Warcry
2015-01-21, 04:36 PM
Honestly, with the way Trypticon's prices have gone up over the years I think a lot of people would be up for it even at $200.

Oh, and just to underscore how silly the $80 Insecticons are...didn't Hasbro reissue Predaking for around $120 just last year? Considering how each individual Predacon uses nearly as much plastic as all three Insecticons combined, it's a surprise they didn't try to sell them for double that.

If I remember the various posts properly, I'm pretty sure most of that info (specifically on the re-issues) is coming out of Hong Kong. Makes me think some of this info pertains to Hasbro Asia exclusives as opposed to normal releases. Just a guess though
That would make sense too, since Hasbro has done exclusives for the Asian market before. A lot of that stuff eventually came out in the west too, but not all of it.

Warcry
2015-01-22, 05:47 AM
Also, for those unhappy with the random new characters crammed into Superion and Menasor, apparently Slingshot and Wildrider are coming later (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/toys-r-us-listings-for-combiner-wars-slingshot-and-wildrider-181900/).

Slingshot is a redeco of Firefly with a new head, if the Japanese release is anything to go by, so presumably Wildrider will be based on Dead End or Breakdown.

inflatable dalek
2015-01-22, 07:34 AM
Pretty fiendish of them to announce that after folks have forked out for the new guys.

Presumably Slingshot will be getting better from being dead in the comics.

Skyquake87
2015-01-22, 09:08 AM
I'm not fussy. Personally, I like the new additions to the team. Alpha Bravo is a wicked little helicopter. The Firefly mould is excellent, so I might be tempted to double dip on that.

Question is, what do you do with the additional team members...?

inflatable dalek
2015-01-22, 09:29 AM
Does the Prime actually have a team to combine with? These guys could at least give him some legs.

Knightdramon
2015-01-22, 02:59 PM
Pretty fiendish of them to announce that after folks have forked out for the new guys.

That's -exactly- what's been going on for the past 2 or so years man. Even before that if I dig back.

For AOE, didn't they announce like all the "platinum" versions of all the characters 1-2 months after everybody bought everything? And then went even further with LDR Prime, who got a major remould and repaint for takara's line?

AOE basically rewarded folks for not outright buying anything :lol:

Clay
2015-01-22, 03:15 PM
To be fair, did Hasbro ever intimate that Slingshot wasn't coming anyway? The package shots show Superion with both Alpha Bravo AND a Dragstrip for limbs.

Cliffjumper
2015-01-22, 03:50 PM
Even before that if I dig back.

Movie Premium figs from 2007/8, not to mention all those little "running changes" where QC/design etc. couldn't be ****ed to sort stuff first.

Mind, it's also okay to not bother sorting speech bubbles and the like in comics then fix it for the trades. Or, bluntly, sticking a ****-ton of original material not avaliable elsewhere in trades. Or reissuing some vintage G1 figure with bonus accessories or a cassette people have heard of. Boat's probably sailed on that one.

I'd actually like the idea of a five-member combiner you could get more than five figures for, much more choice - any way you can do Superion without Slingshot is good because Slingshot's a knob. It's certainly a really fun way to do repaints and retools - a Decepticon retool of Air Raid that could do on a Bruticus without having to crack out a whole team to go with him, that sort of thing. I'd like G1 Defensor a lot more if there was a serious alternative to Groove.

Warcry
2015-01-22, 05:25 PM
Oh, they haven't actually announced it yet. It's just been leaked. I'd imagine they would have preferred to keep a lid on it for even longer so they could sell even more Alpha Bravos and, uh...whoever that new Stunticon guy is.

Presumably Slingshot will be getting better from being dead in the comics.
Was he dead? I thought it was more like "we don't know how to fix him" and he was in a coma.

I'm not fussy. Personally, I like the new additions to the team. Alpha Bravo is a wicked little helicopter.
Alpha Bravo does look cool, but he's almost certainly going to be used for Blades and/or Vortex as well. I think a lot of people will pass on him in favour of those guys now that word of a Slingshot release is out.

Does the Prime actually have a team to combine with? These guys could at least give him some legs.
I think they were redecoing the Stunticons as a few Autobot cars in reference to that Masquerade cartoon episode. A lot of folks assumed they were meant to go with Prime, though I don't think we've seen any proof of that yet.

I'd actually like the idea of a five-member combiner you could get more than five figures for, much more choice - any way you can do Superion with Slingshot is good because Slingshot's a knob. It's certainly a really fun way to do repaints and retools - a Decepticon retool of Air Raid that could do on a Bruticus without having to crack out a whole team to go with him, that sort of thing. I'd like G1 Defensor a lot more if there was a serious alternative to Groove.
I definitely think it'll be fun for kids, since it really plays up the whole "scramble" element that the old combiners never really made good on. Even though you could combine the G1 toys with whoever, the show and other marketing always pushed the idea of them as teams. Having a bunch of extra limbs this time around will probably help push that mix-and-match play pattern, especially since they toy packaging doesn't seem to be pushing which teams are "supposed" to go together (like Clay says, the "Superion" on the first-wave package has a Stunticon in it because he's in that wave).

Denyer
2015-01-22, 07:49 PM
I like Alpha Bravo, but definitely want a Slingshot one way or another...

I'd actually like the idea of a five-member combiner you could get more than five figures for
Exactly. Have a whole bloody fleet of them -- it's the only way combiners would work as a more realistic concept, because component members would be killed left, right and centre.

Cliffjumper
2015-01-22, 08:56 PM
Was he dead? I thought it was more like "we don't know how to fix him" and he was in a coma.

I dunno, it'd be pretty odd for a Transformer to come back from the dead, especially in a comic.

I definitely think it'll be fun for kids, since it really plays up the whole "scramble" element that the old combiners never really made good on. Even though you could combine the G1 toys with whoever, the show and other marketing always pushed the idea of them as teams. Having a bunch of extra limbs this time around will probably help push that mix-and-match play pattern, especially since they toy packaging doesn't seem to be pushing which teams are "supposed" to go together (like Clay says, the "Superion" on the first-wave package has a Stunticon in it because he's in that wave).

That's what I'd really be hoping for, TBH. I'm sure as kids we all mucked around with combining Blades, Vortex, Motormaster, Skydive and Lightspeed even if we knew they weren't proper. While I personally enjoy the design diversity of, say, Rail Racer or how handy it is to get combiners so cheaply as boxed sets I'm a collector with the means to buy them in that fashion. Kids will still get told that they pick one off the peg in the shop we're in now or they get nothing and I think the brand needs to reconnect with those kids rather than making things wilfully difficult for them.

Given today's tech meaning combiner limb members don't need to be a brick with alt mode parts hanging off on hinges there's a lot of scope for 'sneaking' the gimmick on all sorts of toys without compromising either figure. Not go Mugenbine crazy but certainly worth a look for toys of the right size class.

I like Alpha Bravo, but definitely want a Slingshot one way or another...

His head's orange! He's an idiot in War Dawn!

Exactly. Have a whole bloody fleet of them -- it's the only way combiners would work as a more realistic concept, because component members would be killed left, right and centre.

Bang on. A weird random memory from childhood was being incredibly bothered about Megatron popping Brawl's head like an egg in the comic was that it took Bruticus out of the mix totally. Though Megatron popping Brawl's head like an egg was pretty disturbing in its' own right.

Combining is a concept I'm not actually fond of in the fiction - the various personalities of quintets of capable Transformers always seem to make some massive retard who's a complete liability. Conversely on toys it's an incredibly fun concept, especially now the tech's caught up.

Warcry
2015-01-22, 10:19 PM
I dunno, it'd be pretty odd for a Transformer to come back from the dead, especially in a comic.
I know, it's practically unheard of!

Given today's tech meaning combiner limb members don't need to be a brick with alt mode parts hanging off on hinges there's a lot of scope for 'sneaking' the gimmick on all sorts of toys without compromising either figure. Not go Mugenbine crazy but certainly worth a look for toys of the right size class.
Honestly I don't know how many kids will even get a chance to put one of these combiners together, let alone try to assemble a "proper" team. Four Deluxes and a Voyager is a lot of cash compared to the old combiners, when the limbs were pocket-money impulse-buy fodder. I wonder if four Scouts and a Deluxe (like the Energon guys) might have been a better choice marketing-wise. I wouldn't be surprised to see a box set or two pop up around Christmas time, though, aside from the Devastator we already know about.

I hope that their willingness to toss in random guys will extend to some of the later combiner teams, though. Some Technobots, Seacons and Terrorcons would be nice, even if the line doesn't last long enough to release the entire teams.

Cliffjumper
2015-01-22, 10:29 PM
The cost for kids isn't great, no - but a system with as many combining figures as possible could make it work better in the current wave system. It wasn't *that* hard to collect, say, Defensor when he shipped for two or three years.

However, here the plan will surely be to have, say, Air Raid only on the shelves for a couple of months before a new wave overtakes him, so it'd be nice if there was, say, a Dogfight or Tread Bolt retool/recolour to help kids finish their Autobot jet combiner even if they don't get the G1 five. Which might be more in-line with a kid's spending for the year.

And a steady bleed of mould reuse would obviously work for the fanboys too. Seeing as we have a team of planes and a team of cars there's plenty of scope for much mould reuse.

Fiction-wise they really need to drop the merged mind thing. Why not just have the team leader controlling this new, powerful body? That's why they're team leaders, right? Why put the Decepticons' greatest field strategistic as the torso of a big moron? Why does the Autobots' second medical officer have to double-time as some guy's arm? Easier to acheive surely from an in-universe tech point of view and it'd make the combined robots a lot more formidable. It'd also mean you could combine whoever with whoever.

Skyquake87
2015-01-22, 10:41 PM
I hope that their willingness to toss in random guys will extend to some of the later combiner teams, though. Some Technobots, Seacons and Terrorcons would be nice, even if the line doesn't last long enough to release the entire teams.

I hope the line's popular enough to warrant some of the later guys too. Marketing seems a bit muted though and the focus isn't on this line like perhaps it could (should?) be, with a new cartoon for an unrelated part of the franchise to push this year and AoE hanging around.

The RRP is probably going to be the killer though. I can't see casual consumers paying the 16 the deluxe limbs go for over a chump change Legends/ Cyberverse figure that costs 6. Or the simple one-step changers that are around 10 and seem to be what is creeping into shelf space previously occupied by the deluxe class in a lot of retailers.

I'm finding with each successive increase in price in what was Hasbro's key size class, they're offering less and less value for money against a Voyager class toy that's only 6 more.

I think - at least over here - the CW toys are going to live and die on fanboy trade (and most of that will likely be lost to overseas websites which offer better value through exchange rates etc) and that seems a massive waste. IMO, I'd like to see Hasbro reining in their offering a bit. The new RID cartoon's supporting toyline seems to be following the AoE pattern of spewing out upteen versions of the same character in various size classes / complexity - the CW toys seem to be bang on in offering good, well engineered posable toys that are quick to transform, of a good quality and well, fun! (I have my three quarters complete assembled Superion - with Drag Strip - eagerly awaiting Skydive :) ) I can't see younger fingers struggling with these in the same way they might have done with ROTF Leader Prime.

Clay
2015-01-23, 01:29 AM
I know, it's practically unheard of!

Honestly I don't know how many kids will even get a chance to put one of these combiners together, let alone try to assemble a "proper" team. Four Deluxes and a Voyager is a lot of cash compared to the old combiners, when the limbs were pocket-money impulse-buy fodder.

I dunno, I think it's about the same actually. We know from old store catalog scans that the Scramble-style limb guys were sold for $5 each and the torso guys were $12. According the US Government's site about the history of minimum wage increases (http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/coverage.htm), the minimum hourly wage was raised to $3.35 in 1981 and stayed there until 1989, or the bulk of the run of the original line. 5*4+12=$32 for a full set (whereas gift sets were $28), which would've taken about 10 hours worth of work at the minimum pay rate allowed to accumulate. Now we have $15 limbs and $25 torsos. 15*4+25=$85 for a full set, and at the current minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, that would take about... twelve hours to accumulate. But! The toys now are bigger, more articulated, and I think unarguably more durable than what was marketed back in the heyday.

So yeah... it's about the same. If anything, it illustrates just how expensive the toys used to be instead of the opposite.

Warcry
2015-01-23, 05:13 AM
The cost for kids isn't great, no - but a system with as many combining figures as possible could make it work better in the current wave system. It wasn't *that* hard to collect, say, Defensor when he shipped for two or three years.
True enough. And even if you didn't get Defensor per se, you could still cobble together a combiner with a Stunticon, two Protectobots, a Technobot and a Seacon over the years. With this, though? Who knows how long this stuff will be around.

I'm not just thinking of the individual figures (which, like you say, probably won't stick around more than three months), but the theme in general. There were Scramble City-type combiners available for, what, a decade straight if we count G2? Whereas Combiner Wars probably won't last more than eighteen months going by previous Hasbro line refreshes, and every time they revisit the combiner theme in modern times some bright light decides it's a brilliant idea to rework the connectors so they're not compatible with the last set they did.

However, here the plan will surely be to have, say, Air Raid only on the shelves for a couple of months before a new wave overtakes him, so it'd be nice if there was, say, a Dogfight or Tread Bolt retool/recolour to help kids finish their Autobot jet combiner even if they don't get the G1 five. Which might be more in-line with a kid's spending for the year.
As long as that means they give me a G2 Skydive, I'll happily endorse any amount of mold reuse! And like you say, it'll help the kids assemble a team even if it's not the team.

Though I hope redecos don't choke out the potential for new molds. Tossing out a new Aerialbot or Stunticon to break up a wave of Predacons is fine, but solid cases of redecos probably wouldn't do too much for the line's sales.

I'm finding with each successive increase in price in what was Hasbro's key size class, they're offering less and less value for money against a Voyager class toy that's only 6 more.
Can't disagree with that. Five years ago a Voyager cost nearly three times as much as a Deluxe in these parts. Nowadays they're less than double, and while the quality of the Deluxes has gone downhill quite noticeably from the halcyon days around 2008 to 2011 the Voyagers have if anything gotten better. Meanwhile, the new Legends figures are good simple fun and often seem to be higher quality than their bigger cousins. Honestly, if not for some mild curiosity re: Combiner Wars I'd be just about ready to give up on Deluxes entirely.

I dunno, I think it's about the same actually. We know from old store catalog scans that the Scramble-style limb guys were sold for $5 each and the torso guys were $12. According the US Government's site about the history of minimum wage increases (http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/coverage.htm), the minimum hourly wage was raised to $3.35 in 1981 and stayed there until 1989, or the bulk of the run of the original line. 5*4+12=$32 for a full set (whereas gift sets were $28), which would've taken about 10 hours worth of work at the minimum pay rate allowed to accumulate. Now we have $15 limbs and $25 torsos. 15*4+25=$85 for a full set, and at the current minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, that would take about... twelve hours to accumulate. But! The toys now are bigger, more articulated, and I think unarguably more durable than what was marketed back in the heyday.
That's not really the best indicator, though, since (in spite of big business's efforts) most of us don't work for minimum wage. Looking up a few inflation calculators, they all seem to agree that $32 in 1986 equals around $70 in today's money. And that actually lines up pretty closely to the hypothetical "four Scouts and a Deluxe" combiners that I was musing about earlier.

Today's $85 combiner would be the equivalent of a $40 one in the 80s -- which means you'd have been able to buy all the Aerialbots and still have enough left over for First Aid and Beachcomber. It's not a huge gap, but there definitely is one.

Combine that with the fact that real salaries have struggled to even keep pace with inflation over the last few decades, and the gulf is even more stark. Then on top of that, add in the fact that kids don't just want toys anymore. Electronics take up a way bigger chunk of the budget a parent sets aside for their kids' entertainment these days, which means that there is comparatively less left to go around for toys than in our day. Then toss in the limited shelf life of both individual toys and toyline gimmicks, and you've got a recipe for thousands of kids left with with 3/5s or 4/5s of a super-robot.

I actually do agree with your point that modern toys are a better value than their 80s counterparts. But once you toss in all the other mitigating factors, I think the price is still going to be off-putting.

Notabot
2015-01-23, 09:20 PM
Despite all the inflation projections and what-not, I think the average person/family has WAAAY more disposable income than in the 80s. The point about kids not wanting (or having) just toys really emphasizes that. Granted, we have WAAAY more things to dispose income on (personal electronics just weren't a thing), but thinking back to my childhood, the rich (spoiled) kids had the equivalent of what is fairly commonplace these days.

That said, I do agree that having a figure available in 1-1.5 waves makes it almost certain that only we man-child collectors will have all the ones we want. Lil' Timmy is going to get what is on the shelf around Easter and his birthday, and his parents probably won't be driving him to Walmart once a week to check if the new wave is in so he can spend his allowance.

And yes, it would have been awesome if we could have had inter-generational combining. Without duct tape, that is.

numbat
2015-01-23, 09:33 PM
Superglue?

Clay
2015-01-25, 12:21 AM
I'd like G1 Defensor a lot more if there was a serious alternative to Groove.

Not for the original mind you, but it seems that you're getting your wish for the Combiner Wars version. Here's the first tease of Hot Spot and Groove (on the right hand side; Arielbots on the left and Motormaster/Blackjack in the middle) (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/first-look-at-combiner-wars-hot-spot-and-groove-181924/). Groove has been demoted to Targetmaster for this version. I'm okay with that.

Clay
2015-01-28, 11:20 PM
Here's an out-of-focus, small, and obscured image of Titan Devastator (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/nuremberg-toy-fair-first-look-at-combiner-wars-titan-devastator-181841/)

Unicron
2015-01-29, 01:09 AM
Here's an out-of-focus, small, and obscured image of Titan Devastator (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/nuremberg-toy-fair-first-look-at-combiner-wars-titan-devastator-181841/)

Saw that earlier. Tells us a very important thing: No Prowl (at least as an included thing. Could possibly be a sold separately add-on/replacement figure).

Notabot
2015-01-29, 03:50 PM
He's huge! And it's weird that they put him in a suit and gave him a shaved head like that.

inflatable dalek
2015-01-29, 06:28 PM
Seibertron are offering $50 to anyone who can take a better pic they won't share with any other site.

Unicron
2015-01-29, 06:49 PM
Seibertron are offering $50 to anyone who can take a better pic they won't share with any other site.
I kind of hope they're choking on a flood of fake pictures. $50 is a pitiful amount given the various conditions they've placed on it, and isn't worth the effort or risk (Hasbro apparently covered the windows after these first 2 blurry pictures came out. Odds are they'd come down on people trying to snag pics at this point).

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I wouldn't be shocked if these first 2 pics are some sort of viral marketing effort on Hasbro's part. These initial blurry, mostly obscured pictures have generated quite a bit of discussion, probably more than an official set/reveal would have.

Cliffjumper
2015-01-29, 10:36 PM
All these years and Ryan's still absolute ****ing vermin.

Clay
2015-01-30, 01:25 AM
To the surprise of absolutely no one, most of this stuff will supposedly be revealed officially at the New York toy fair in a couple of weeks, so we've got a fortnight for speculative nerdery. Rumored reveals are Devastator, reissue Trypticon, and Combiner Wars Defensor and Computron. GO.

Unicron
2015-01-30, 05:45 AM
I want to be excited by the prospect of a Trypticon re-issue, but I can't help but wonder if Hasbro is going to end up gutting the electronics in the name of cost savings.

Skyquake87
2015-01-30, 10:09 AM
Wow. Is it that important to the big boards in the news stakes that they're now offering rewards for exclusive use of illicit long range, out of focus pictures of things that may be in the public interest.

...sounds familiar...

Anyway! I hope re-issue Trypticon is the full on walking robot dude. Takara did the electronics free version for Beast Wars II and it just left you with a toy that felt like half of what it should be. Robbed of the electronics, the point of the thing was rather lost too as Typticon just doesn't have much else going for him. He's the weakest of the Citybots IMO. I'm hopeful he'll keep the electronics. Previous reissues of Omega Supreme and Sky Lynx kept the electrics.

inflatable dalek
2015-01-30, 03:53 PM
I'll give $51 to anyone who takes a picture of Devastator who doesn't show it to anyone.

I can see no way this could possibly backfire.

Unicron
2015-01-30, 04:28 PM
Wow. Is it that important to the big boards in the news stakes that they're now offering rewards for exclusive use of illicit long range, out of focus pictures of things that may be in the public interest.

To the best of my knowledge, it's only the one site offering a bounty. That's why I'm hoping people are taking the opportunity to troll them with pics of previous Devastators, 3rd party figures, customs, bad photoshops, etc. I feel like if this practice is allowed to become something that is reasonable-ish to do, Hasbro is going to tighten up reveals even more and we're going to know/see even less of future stuff in advance.

I'm hopeful he'll keep the electronics. Previous reissues of Omega Supreme and Sky Lynx kept the electrics.
Omega Supreme and Sky Lynx were 're-issues' done by Takara, who don't have Hasbro's history of chopping smokestacks and screwing with the missile launchers.
Also, they were actually those toys' first release in Japan under the TF name, so gutting the electronics would have been pretty bad.

Denyer
2015-01-30, 08:58 PM
Yeah, Hasbro are altogether decent and generous sorts, and paparazzi style tactics to get a reveal slightly early is antagonism for no good reason.

numbat
2015-01-30, 10:26 PM
Hasbro will reveal toys when they're good and ready. Doesn't make them available any sooner. Folk need to chill. :)

Ryan F
2015-02-01, 06:20 PM
All these years and Ryan's still absolute ****ing vermin.

I should put this as my sig...

Knightdramon
2015-02-02, 01:31 PM
Clear pic is out. Seibertron can shove that 50 USD bill down his a&& for all I care.

Listings for the white CW Prime repaint, wave 3 and 4 are out, as well as a listing for a voyager Cyclonus.

People are going mental that it's going to be a Silverbolt repaint, but I'm hopeful it's a brand new mould. If anything, Megatron and the other leaders prove that you can be in the CW area and not have to combine with anything.

Ryan F
2015-02-02, 06:57 PM
I'm not really up to date with the news, but are any of the smaller figures designed to plug into the Prime mould's chest cavity and fill in that gap? There are two pegs there, after all...

Denyer
2015-02-02, 07:02 PM
Going to link this rather than embed...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/combiner-wars-titan-class-devastator-revealed-181987/

Get the feeling it might not be the main head? Looks okay-ish, but nowhere near as nice as this simplified 3P KO, which is available for about forty quid shipped;

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/1017942-buyer-beware-high-quality-ko-tf-toys-hercules.html

Denyer
2015-02-02, 07:04 PM
I'm not really up to date with the news, but are any of the smaller figures designed to plug into the Prime mould's chest cavity and fill in that gap? There are two pegs there, after all...

You can apparently peg a whole bunch of stuff on;

http://i.imgur.com/tuv52Ul.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tuv52Ul.jpg

Clay
2015-02-02, 08:47 PM
Going to link this rather than embed...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/combiner-wars-titan-class-devastator-revealed-181987/

Get the feeling it might not be the main head?

His head is tiny.

I mean, I get that they're going for a wider appeal by keeping the whole thing on the simple and blocky side, but at the same time if this is their $150 big item for the year, it could use some tweaking in proportions.

Warcry
2015-02-02, 09:13 PM
If I recall right, those pegs are the same size as the Legends-class guys' hands, so technically any one of them could be pressed into service as Prime's chest plate. Whether they actually look good or not is a different question, though.

I think Windcharger is the one that's "meant" to go with him, though.

His head is tiny.

I mean, I get that they're going for a wider appeal by keeping the whole thing on the simple and blocky side, but at the same time if this is their $150 big item for the year, it could use some tweaking in proportions.
What struck me right off the bat was how out of place Mixmaster looks. Everyone else looks very, very G1 for better or worse, and then there's Devastator's left leg looking like big chunks of it have been carved off.

Aside from that I think it looks really good, and actually a step above Superion or Menasor's combined modes. But at that price, and considering how ridiculously big a six-Voyager combiner is bound to be, I can't see myself buying one.

Skyquake87
2015-02-02, 09:19 PM
The Head on Devy looks like a flat panel :( I think I need to see some better pics of the thing. He looks badly posed, like his back's arched and he's staggering a bit, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

On the face of it, not as impressive as Superion is shaping up to be (Air Raid can't arrive soon enough for me - Drag Strip looks so out of place and his mustard yellow really doesn't sit well with the reds and whites everyone else has going on). The hands on Devastator look much better though.

Denyer
2015-02-02, 10:19 PM
Might wait for Hasbro Slingshot to show up before cracking open the rest of the Aerialbots apart from Alpha Bravo, if there's more of an official confirmation he is definitely coming...

numbat
2015-02-03, 01:12 PM
At least it looks like the individual Constructicons have robot modes.

I'll need to see more and better pictures - that one is terribly posed! Are the forearms and hands hollow? That would be disappointing.

And what is going on with Mixmaster's design? I hope Takara do a better deco of the figure, but I'm not sure that will mitigate the design issues for me.

On the otherhand, I'm actually very keen on a combiner made of six Voyagers. So long as it looks good...

This is the first Combiner Wars figure that I've had any potential interest in (other than Legends Powerglide and Bombshell who I like as individual G1 homages, without interest in any combining opportunities) - and I am actually surprised by this given how much I dislike the majority of the Combiner Wars designs. But that potential interest could easily evaporate with better photos, and photos of the individual robot modes.

I'm really quite disappointed by Combiner Wars thusfar... But I seem to be in the minority. Right enough though, they look great for kids and that should always be the target audience for mainstream figures. :)

Skyquake87
2015-02-03, 07:07 PM
Mixmaster does look odd. The drum seems back to front and the cab of the truck seems very small, almost like he's some tractor-trailer affair.

@numbat - I can understand that. As much as I love my aerialbots, there's a definite simplicity to the figures. They're no way near as flash as what some Third Party companies are offering at the moment and I think from an adult collector POV, they can seem ... lacking by comparison. On the plus side, you've got a bunch of fun, easy to change toys that feel pretty solid and durable and do a good job of mixing the old Special Teams aesthetic to modern engineering. I will agree that Menasor looks awful (largely due to the slightly poo Motormaster).

...Just looking at that picture again. What an inglorious contribution Windcharger (?) makes there. Does Optimus really need a jock strap made out of one of his troops? Wouldn't like that duty...

Dead Man Wade
2015-02-03, 07:24 PM
Does Optimus really need a jock strap made out of one of his troops?

Need? No.

But, after millions of years of leadership during a horrific war of attrition, maybe Prime's gone a little spotty.

Or maybe that bot volunteered, and Prime was unnerved but didn't want to disappoint.

Skyquake87
2015-02-03, 10:23 PM
So long as he's not connected to a sluice valve or something...

Thunderwave
2015-02-05, 01:45 AM
...Just looking at that picture again. What an inglorious contribution Windcharger (?) makes there. Does Optimus really need a jock strap made out of one of his troops? Wouldn't like that duty...

Windcharger is supposed to fit on Optimus' chest like Blackjack does for Motormaster in combined mode.

Clay
2015-02-12, 09:03 PM
Someone went barcode sleuthing and turned this up: (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/more-combiner-wars-figures-discovered-182070/)

Legends:
Autobot Pipes (63050936835)
Chop Shop (63050936836)
Shockwave (63050936837)
Buzzsaw (63050936838)

Voyager:
Scattershot (63050936922)
Onslaught (63050936923)

The Technobots were already rumored a couple of weeks ago but, to the best of my knowledge, this is the first piece of information that actually hints at Combaticons (instead of everyone just assuming).

A legends-class Shockwave that potentially turns into a weapon for the gestalts? Yes please!

inflatable dalek
2015-02-12, 09:08 PM
I could actually go for the Technobots. And a small Pipes to squash.

Denyer
2015-02-12, 09:50 PM
Ooo... if the official Technobots are any good, would be happy to have a Hasbro Computron and Quantron team members individually displayed.

Knightdramon
2015-02-12, 10:11 PM
Wow, hasbro really is going all out with the line

Will need to see most of these stuff in hand/proper pics before getting excited though---for all I know it could be a modified Silverbolt/Hot Spot combo. :lol:

Warcry
2015-02-12, 10:39 PM
A legends-class Shockwave that potentially turns into a weapon for the gestalts? Yes please!
That would be cute! Though it continues to be a shame that we don't have a decently large Generations Shockwave after they've put out nearly a decade's worth of toys in that style.

Will need to see most of these stuff in hand/proper pics before getting excited though---for all I know it could be a modified Silverbolt/Hot Spot combo. :lol:
Would be pleasantly surprised if Scattershot isn't a Silverbolt redeco, personally.

I'd imagine Chop Shop is a Shrapnel redeco, too. Hopefully they've given him a new (bigger!) head and mandibles so that he stands out a bit from the original.

Skyquake87
2015-02-12, 11:05 PM
That would be cute! Though it continues to be a shame that we don't have a decently large Generations Shockwave after they've put out nearly a decade's worth of toys in that style.

...he'd probably be a bloody tank

Denyer
2015-02-13, 12:01 AM
Upscale the FOC one and possibly make the limbs more substantial, more paint apps, etc. and it'd probably turn out nicely.

inflatable dalek
2015-02-13, 12:49 PM
Would be pleasantly surprised if Scattershot isn't a Silverbolt redeco, personally.

I think some of the flaws that people have talked about with Silverbolt- the poor undercarriage- would likely work better on a totally made up alt mode like Scattershot as well.

We've already got an obvious candidate for a Vortex, and presumably the new Stunticon could easily be fiddled with to make a jeep, who out of the other Combiners could fill in for the rest of the Technos and Combaties?

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-02-13, 01:26 PM
I think some of the flaws that people have talked about with Silverbolt- the poor undercarriage- would likely work better on a totally made up alt mode like Scattershot as well.

We've already got an obvious candidate for a Vortex, and presumably the new Stunticon could easily be fiddled with to make a jeep, who out of the other Combiners could fill in for the rest of the Technos and Combaties?

Brawl & Nosecone could share a mould base, maybe.

Blast Off from Alpha Bravo? Or a military deco Aerialbot?

Lightspeed from Dead End, probably. Or Streetwise if that mould is different and suits better.

Strafe... um... hey, he never had much of an alt mode anyway, right? Aerialbot.

Afterburner from Groove, or a new mold Legend?

Legend Shockwave with Bruticus, new deluxe (possibly) with Computron. Rook or First Aid might be due a re-use.

Unicron
2015-02-13, 05:47 PM

Leading theory for the Silverbolt remold/redeco is actually Cyclonus. I believe he showed up in listings at one point, plus he appears in an app where he appears to be a Silverbolt remold (chibi-type appearance, but there's enough detail to make out). Same app showed off the blue repaint of Powerglide, the one that's themed on the Cobra Rattler, I think it was named Viper.

Denyer
2015-02-13, 08:39 PM
The Constructicons are looking alright... I like the square and chunky aesthetic.

http://i.imgur.com/raLKPTh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/raLKPTh.jpg

Knightdramon
2015-02-13, 09:12 PM
A tad indifferent so far to Devastator, but there's a lot of stuff announced/supposedly about to be shown this weekend, so there's hope.

I'm personally very eager to see Hot Spot, Cyclonus and the deluxe autobot cars.

LDR Class Ultra Magnus as well, though after MP Magnus I think I've got that covered.

Unicron
2015-02-14, 11:24 AM
I'm definitely interested in that Devastator, though I'm a touch disappointed by Mixmaster being changed to a front loading mixer. Seems like an unnecessary change but I can live with it.

Still, I need more pictures, preferably not stock photos. Hasbro hasn't been doing too great with those lately. Anyway, there's definitely some weird things going on in this one.
I question if Devy is going to be that pinheaded. And it might be the perspective (or funky editing) but it looks like Mixmaster is going to be shorter than Scrapper in leg form, causing Long Haul to contribute more to left leg. Not necessarily a bad thing, just seems strange.

inflatable dalek
2015-02-14, 07:25 PM
WE'RE GETTING A MINIMUS AMBUS TOY.

Coming with Magnus Armour as well.

If we're getting an entirely new Magnus, and descriptions of Cyclonus (who apparently will combine to form Galvatronus) sound like it might be an original as well as the vehicle mode is apparently "Perfect" G1, maybe Scattershot will get away with not being Silverbolt as well?

Really hard to see MTMTE completely sitting out the crossover now, half the cast are getting new toys out of it.

Warcry
2015-02-14, 08:02 PM
Also, Protectobots (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/toy-fair-38/transformers-combiner-wars-protectobots-at-toy-fair-2015-182098/)!

Those look pretty bloody fantastic, IMO. Streetwise and Hot Spot in particular.

[EDIT]Cyclonus is there too (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/toy-fair-38/cyclonus-at-hasbro-toy-fair-2015-event-182099/). Not sold on him, though. The short horns and blocky limbs are pretty disappointing.

Knightdramon
2015-02-14, 08:05 PM
LOL @ the Protectobots...the only original mould is the newbie Rook and Hot Spot as well as the legends Groove.

First Aid is a remoulded Offshoot or what's his name [new Stunticon], Blades is a remoulded Alpha Bravo, Streetwise is a remoulded Dead End.

Magnus looks nice, might have to double dip on that one next to my MP figure.

Cyclonus looks nicer than I thought.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-02-14, 08:08 PM
There are pics on the Allspark Twitter news feed (am I allowed to say that?).

Magnus looks like a maybe buy for me. I love the character, and the IDW take is right up my street, but the toy looks a little cheap in places (the white plastic, the wheels). However, I hope better pics will improve the look of the thing. Minimum Ambus is a great addition, imo.

Cyclonus looks a bit fat, but somehow a bit more G1 than the Deluxe. Think I'll stick with the Deluxe though.

Hot Spot looks nice, but the head looks weird in pale blue. I guess they did that to differentiate him from the inevitable Onslaught remould. Streetwise and Blades look great. Haven't spotted Groove or First Aid yet, but Defensor looks like a must buy.

The Constructicons all have robot and alt modes! Woot! The bots look a little basic, with some not having elbows at all, and others just having a simple hinge there. But let's face it - most collectors will display Devastator combined anyway. :)

Denyer
2015-02-14, 08:42 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/toy-fair-38/
http://tformers.com/transformers-toy-fair-2015/

Cyclonus looks really rather substantial (and older, in a grizzled middle-age-spread way)... more like Galvatron, in fact. Looks good in a scratched-up painted prototype way. Shame the final figure probably will look quite different.

Neat gimmick aside, Magnus looks like a smaller design has been upscaled.

edit:

Warpath... meh. Protectobots... could possibly go for a First Aid and a Streetwise.

Constructicons look really good. Hopefully will see scale pics soon.

Clay
2015-02-14, 09:14 PM
First thought is that cost-cutting in mold construction is in full swing - everyone is so hollow. I mean, these things have always had hollow parts, but it's really noticeable on the individual Constructicons and Ultra Magnus.

Also, why a leader class Ultra Magnus so close behind the Masterpiece? Usually when they do a character again in a different style, they wait a few years (or they're offered simultaneously within the same line). Or is third-party pluralism seeping into official offerings now?

LOL @ the Protectobots...the only original mould is the newbie Rook and Hot Spot as well as the legends Groove.

First Aid is a remoulded Offshoot or what's his name [new Stunticon], Blades is a remoulded Alpha Bravo, Streetwise is a remoulded Dead End.

Why laugh? Mold reuse and retooling was more or less the method for getting all the Scramble combiners done this time around. In fact, going by the Takara Superion, you might reckon Alpha Bravo and Offroad as pre-uses of Blades and First Aid instead of the other way around. At least Groove has been demoted so Defensor doesn't have a motorcycle and helicopter both.

Sure! Links are even better.

The back of the box says he's 18 inches / 45cm tall.

Warcry
2015-02-14, 09:28 PM
How is this a surprise? I thought that's what everyone was expecting since we heard they were making them. If anything, I'm more surprised that Hot Spot is his own mold and not an Optimus redeco.

Blades, Streetwise and First Aid all have significant remolding and look better than the original uses of their respective molds, so in all I think the team came out looking pretty good. They're definitely my favourite of the teams we've seen so far.

Not unless you share the link with the rest of us. ;)

But in general, links to other TF sites are 100% okay here as long as you're not hotlinking their images.

Magnus looks like a maybe buy for me. I love the character, and the IDW take is right up my street, but the toy looks a little cheap in places (the white plastic, the wheels). However, I hope better pics will improve the look of the thing. Minimum Ambus is a great addition, imo.
I definitely like IDW Magnus more than I expected I would once I heard the "Minumus Ambus" news. The nice, toy-accurate light blue is eye-catching, and the whole package seems pretty solid. It's a bit too simple for the size and the price that it would demand, but I could see myself buying one on sale if I got the chance.

Warpath... meh.
Warpath was a bit of a disappointment, yeah. But he's already gotten two really good new toys in the past decade that are respectively a bit bigger and a bit smaller than the new one, so it's no great loss.

The Cobra Rattler-themed Powerglide redeco, however, is exquisite. It neatly settles the "Powerglide looks great but I already have two modern Powerglides!" debate I was having with myself, since now I can happily ignore Powerglide entirely and pick up Viper instead.

They're supposed to be Voyagers, aren't they? Honestly, the individual robots look really simple for that size. Scrapper and Long Haul don't even look like they have proper elbows!

Clay
2015-02-14, 09:42 PM
If anything, I'm more surprised that Hot Spot is his own mold and not an Optimus redeco.

The Combaticons are rumored as well, and someone turned up a listing for a voyager Onslaught in the last week or so to support that, so it's not too surprising. Just take the ladders off Hot Spot and put two big cannons in their place and suddenly the vehicle looks a lot less like a fire truck and more like something else. It also mirrors the mold reuses we've seen so far: Optimus / Motormaster, Silverbolt / Cyclonus (!), Hot Spot / Onslaught (?), or an autobot and decepticon version for each mold. I'm not sure where Scattershot would fit in that scheme.

Now that we've seen Rook we can start to guess who his remold is. Swindle maybe?

Unicron
2015-02-14, 09:46 PM
Ok, was pretty sure to begin with but now I'm certain, I will have that Devastator.

Not sold on Cyclonus. Impressive that they got him out of Silverbolt, but it just seems kind of wrong him being a combiner torso.

Magnus doesn't look too bad, though it looks kind of cheap. Probably from it likely being a prototype. Pulls off an IDW-inspired look well and the Minimus is a big plus. However, I can't see myself getting one. I blame MP Magnus, he's too good.

I'm liking the Protectobots. Out of everything we've seen so far, they're the first team where every part of it looks nice enough for me to want to put the set together (aside from Devy). I'm not bothered by a few of them being remolds, I was expecting a lot of that in this line and it could be a lot worse.

Warpath is a bit meh, but not the worst idea for reusing that Megatron mold. Definitely loving Viper, especially with the use of a modified Cobra logo on him. I'm tempted to army build him, if I can get 'em at a good price.

Knightdramon
2015-02-14, 10:31 PM
Don't get me wrong folks---Defensor has the best chance out of any of them to make their way into my house, as he's my favourite combiner as a child and the only complete one I still have as an adult.

I'd be lying if I said I was keen on essentially 3/5ths [not counting Groove in this instance] of the team being remoulds [some of them minor] from existing moulds though.

Great as they are, so far it's only been 3 individual voyager moulds for 4 waves or something, with retools between them. Deluxes fare a bit worse [celebrated Takara Slingshot is Firefly with a new head, Air Raid's lower half is Skydive's lower half etc]. I don't dislike them, but I'd prefer a healthier ratio of new and remoulded/repainted.

Agree on Magnus though---as nice as he is [and chances are I'm getting him]...what will I do with him once in hand? MP Magnus is already on a LL shelf, LDR Magnus will just be an extra, similarly flavoured big white/blue/red guy.

zigzagger
2015-02-15, 03:21 AM
Protectobots! **** yeah!

Hot Spot is probably the better looking of Combiner Wars Voyagers we've seen so far, I'd say. Can kinda, sorta see it working as an Onslaught, maybe by reworking it into a missile carrier or something.

First Aid, Streetwise and Blades make great use of the molds they're base on, and, in my opinion, are better suited to them. First Aid and Blades especially; those two are really doing it for me.

Digging Blades' grimace too. He looks suitably pissed. :)

Groove is a bit spindly, but a slick alt-mode all the same. Quirky, sort of adorable design. Mmmm... it could grow on me.

Oh, and hey, New Guy...

He's a SWAT vehicle, so I guess he fits in with the others.

Aw, look at Ultra Magnus, all spiffy in his MTMTE-inspired duds. And he includes Minimus Ambus just to make the purists cry ;) He's not too shabby. Still no sign of any new Rodimus figure, though.

Cyclonus. Just... just no. Sorry.

The Constructicons are a bit simplified, aren't they. Hollow, too.

Blackjack
2015-02-15, 04:53 AM
Protectobots and Ultra Magnus look pretty great! The individual Protectobots actually look pretty great, and Defensor is the most solid combiner so far in this line. Granted they switched Groove around with this random armoured truck dude, but hey, at least Groove is present in some fashion.

Devastator is m'eh. Kudos to Hasbro for actually preserving the original Constructicons' looks, but they look so... meh. Spindly arms and whatnot. And Devastator himself doesn't look all that impressive IMO.

EDIT: And they are supposed to be Voyager-class toys? Holy hell, I thought they were Scout-class in complexity at best.

So I guess the RID comic will now go out of the way to revive Scrapper then?

Ultra Magnus is the likeliest of the new releases that I'll get, since he looks pretty ****ing awesome. Considering that Brainstorm hasn't even shown up here yet, though, chances are slim that I will get Ultra Magnus. Or Blackjack. I need Blackjack. So much.

I think I'll get Viper too if I get the chance. What a cool little mould, but I already own some Powerglides.

Thunderwave
2015-02-15, 01:00 PM
So my thoughts:

Protectobots: My favorite combiner team as a child. I actually was looking forward to this team the moment they announced Combiner Wars on the assumption they'd at least do two teams from each faction. Now that we've seen them I can say I'm picking them up, however what the hell is up with the skinny, odd ball vehicle mode for Hot Spot? Why does Blades, a rescue helicopter, have missiles? I do like the look of Rook and am pleased that Groove still makes an appearance.

Devestator: Yep. He's a thing. I like him. I'll probably end up picking him up. I'm not a -huge- Devestator fan so I'm willing to drop $150 on a decent version of him rather then a 3rd party offering. I'm not a hugs fan of the individual robots in some cases, but really he's there to be combined.

Denyer
2015-02-15, 02:12 PM
The back of the box says he's 18 inches / 45cm tall.

Ta. Probably too big for comfort. Still like the blocky individual 'Cons though.

Denyer
2015-02-15, 03:15 PM
Lots of official product photos for Prime;

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/robots-in-disguise-201x-48/

Might convince me to add Blades to Streetwise and First Aid.

Minicons are now more like game pieces and come with launchers... with BMOG type add on pieces in translucent plastic (left on the sprue, which presumably saves costs).

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/robots-in-disguise-201x-48/transformers-robots-in-disguise-2015-minicons-official-images-182114/
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/robots-in-disguise-201x-48/transformers-robots-in-disguise-2015-minicon-deployers-official-images-182113/

But the big news is that with the animal theme, Canadians get their own bad guy... I'm sure he'll still be polite. And inspire lots of customisers to get out the red paint.

http://i.imgur.com/ysXDObE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ysXDObE.jpg

Skyquake87
2015-02-15, 04:49 PM
Lots to look at...

Of immediate appeal are CW Viper, LC Ultra Magnus and CW Hotspot. The rest of the Protectobots look decent enough, not sure about the combined mode - Hotspot gives out a very lean torso and the limbs look a bit too chunky to properly work for me.

I quite like the look of CW Cyclonus and its a decent retool of Silverbolt, but I think I would have preferred an all-new mould for the character riffing off his MTMTE design. Miles better than the deluxe from a few years ago though, which is good.

The Constructicons I can see being enormous fun as toys. They do look pretty simplistic and I can't say I'm a fan of the horrible 'clip-on' wheels - at least the likes of Scoop kept the clips on the interiors of the wheelarches so they didn't look like the horrible cost-cutting measure they clearly are. Mixmaster's alt mode just looks...wrong. Are there really cement mixers out there that are...back to front, with the drum discharge me do at the cab end rather than the rear? Devastator looks much better here, properly displayed and its clear that this has been the mode that's been given the most thought. As to whether its worth $149, I dunno... I'm on the fence with this one and it isn't shaping up to be the 'must have' I thought it might be, which is a shame as I really like the Constructicons.

Utterly indifferent to the Robots In Disguise stuff. The stylised designs are great, but the toys look a bit cack to me.

Clay
2015-02-15, 06:01 PM
Are there really cement mixers out there that are...back to front, with the drum discharge me do at the cab end rather than the rear?

Yep! They're a bit less common than the traditional mixers, but they're a real thing. (https://www.google.com/search?q=cement+mixer+truck&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_d3gVLDqHYv7gwTS8IPwAw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=942#tbm=isch&q=front+cement+mixer+truck&imgdii=_)

Would imagine it's because the normal mixers' base truck (frame, cab, and engine) can have a variety of things attached to the rear of the chassis, whereas the front-end mixers have to be built especially for that purpose. Do they not have them in England?

What's wrong with Deluxe Cyclonus? I thought that they nailed him in one shot.

Skyquake87
2015-02-15, 07:37 PM
Cool. If we do have mixers like that over here, I've never seen one.

I'm not much of a fan of the deluxe Cyclonus toy. The robot mode is great, but the alt mode is just horrible.

inflatable dalek
2015-02-15, 08:35 PM
Just looking at Scrapper... could they not afford to have his arms bend?

Knightdramon
2015-02-15, 08:56 PM
I'm thinking it had to do with being the heel of the leg, Hasbro did not want to compromise any moving joint at that part.

Cliffjumper
2015-02-15, 09:53 PM
Love the aesthetics of the Constructicons but they're seriously weak as Voyagers what with all the crap arms. It's a good call for the size of Devastator but are they seriously going to market those things as separate figures, or will he be box set only?

RID's just doing nothing for me. At all. Show looks pretty mediocre too.

Might have to go for the Cobra Powerglide, though. Always tempted by the 3P version thereof just because having a proper GI Joe Transformer is very cool; could go for a couple of others in a similar vein. Only shame is that they haven't gone for it with full Cobra markings.

Denyer
2015-02-15, 10:11 PM
Brawl & Nosecone could share a mould base, maybe.
They could possibly stick bits onto the SWAT vehicle, although it'd be a shame.

Product photos for CW/Generations;

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/combiner-wars-devastator-official-images-182106/
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/generations-leader-class-ultra-magnus-with-minimus-ambus-official-images-182107/
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/combiner-wars-voyager-wave-3-hot-spot-and-cyclonus-official-images-182112/
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/combiner-wars-deluxe-wave-3-official-images-the-protectobots-182109/
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/combiner-wars-legends-wave-3-official-images-182111/

Clay
2015-02-15, 10:20 PM
Love the aesthetics of the Constructicons but they're seriously weak as Voyagers what with all the crap arms. It's a good call for the size of Devastator but are they seriously going to market those things as separate figures, or will he be box set only?

Box set only as of now. Yeah, I was talking about with someone else and remarked that they're trying to straddle the line between big and low cost. I like the simplicity of the set on the grounds that they combine into a ****ing giant Devastator, but the little touches that would make them a nice ensemble seem absent. For example Scrapper, in the interest of stability as a foot, simply just has no elbows or anything instead of proper locking joints as that would cost too much. It's like they're super-sized Legends. Again, I think the simplicity of the design plays in its favor overall, but it's easy to see all the corners that Hasbro cut to keep the cost down.

Although I guess if the set does well enough, Takara may look into making a Masterpiece version.

Thunderwave
2015-02-15, 11:45 PM
...anyone else notice that Defensor has his motorcycle cop shades on?

numbat
2015-02-16, 08:01 AM
Well, I like Viper...

Other than that (and that's for novelty alone really), I can't see any of those figures fitting in even my Classics-style collection due to the extremely simple designs.

The rest continue the trend of awful for Combiner Wars. That said, I mean awful for me - I think Hasbro have got a good thing going there for kids, although lack of media may result in lower sales than other lines I'd guess.

Devastator looks pretty terrible to me - the individual Constructicons are just way too simple articulation and detail-wise for such large figures. Frankly I'd be disappointed with them if they were Deluxe scale, let alone larger. Still, it seems an improvement on the ROTF Supreme Devastator at least. Seriously, though, what is the deal with that mess of a Mixmaster? Surely it wouldn't have been hard to do better in all modes? He's not exactly complicated in any of them in the first place!

Regardless, I can thank Hasbro for saving me money this year!

I do think it's good that Hasbro are reclaiming their real base - kids. But I do think they will be driving collectors to import high end figures from Takara, Hasbro Asia or third party companies more and more.

Sades
2015-02-16, 07:24 PM
I've been informed we're buying the Devastator, so I came to see what it is we're buying. :p

First thing I noticed was the arms. They're.....special, aren't they. Still. For the price point it doesn't look too bad, and I suppose a tradeoff has to happen somewhere. Opinion might change once I have them in hand, because if they feel cheap I'm gonna be disappointed.

Warcry
2015-02-16, 10:48 PM
The Combaticons are rumored as well, and someone turned up a listing for a voyager Onslaught in the last week or so to support that, so it's not too surprising. Just take the ladders off Hot Spot and put two big cannons in their place and suddenly the vehicle looks a lot less like a fire truck and more like something else.
You're quite right. After a closer look at Hot Spot's alt-mode in stock photos, there's definitely a lot of Onslaught to it.

Now that we've seen Rook we can start to guess who his remold is. Swindle maybe?
He doesn't really have any features in common with Swindle in either mode, does he? Not that that will necessarily stop them from doing it, but I'd lean more towards Nosecone personally. The weapon mount on the front of the alt-mode makes no sense otherwise.

Great as they are, so far it's only been 3 individual voyager moulds for 4 waves or something, with retools between them. Deluxes fare a bit worse [celebrated Takara Slingshot is Firefly with a new head, Air Raid's lower half is Skydive's lower half etc]. I don't dislike them, but I'd prefer a healthier ratio of new and remoulded/repainted.
But that's not really an option. If all the rumours are to be believed, they're putting out at least six full combiner teams in around a year (Aerialbots, Stunticons, Protectobots, Combaticons, Technobots and Prime's Masquerade Autobots, not counting the Constructicons for the moment because they're not compatible) plus a few random extras like Cyclonus, Slingshot, Wildrider, etc. If they eschewed repaints, the alternative isn't six teams' worth of new molds, or four teams' worth of molds and two of repaints. We'd still only get three teams' worth of molds, half of these characters wouldn't be coming out at all and the overall quality of the figures would be even lower since they didn't get to recoup costs through redecos. Imagine the entire line looking as cheap as the Constructicons! The only way to make money on this many figures in such a short time is to make a ton of them redecos. It's a bit of a shame, but it's a necessary tradeoff for getting the stuff to start with.

At least this way you can pick and choose the decos you like, right? It sort of sucks for completists, though, I admit.

Devestator: Yep. He's a thing. I like him. I'll probably end up picking him up. I'm not a -huge- Devestator fan so I'm willing to drop $150 on a decent version of him rather then a 3rd party offering. I'm not a hugs fan of the individual robots in some cases, but really he's there to be combined.
I'm sorry, but I don't get this attitude. If the combined mode is all that matters, then why aren't fans out there demanding a giant Action Master Devastator designed with articulation and balance in mind? It would be way cheaper than this, a better Devastator in its own right and there wouldn't be individual Constructicons to complain about.

If the price of the thing was less than six regular Voyagers then maybe I could get behind it, but it's not. $150 in the US ($180 here in Canada) is almost exactly what six Voyagers would cost. The engineering just isn't there for me to be able to pretend that the thing is worth it when the same amount of cash could buy Silverbolt, Motormaster, Hot Spot, Brainstorm, Roadbuster and Optimus. And even the last two, who are quite lacking IMO, are a ton better than any of the Constructicons.

I just don't get who the target market for the thing is. As an expensive Generations toy based on G1 characters you'd assume it's aimed at collectors, but it's way too simple to pass muster in that regard unless you just want some static thing to stand at the back of a shelf. On the other hand, most kids won't even know the thing exists if Metroplex was any indication of how many stores will stock it, and how many kids care about a combiner team who hasn't had a significant role in any fiction they're likely to have seen? If it's primarily aimed at kids, shouldn't it feature characters from the current kids' show and have the same design style as the current kids' toylines?

Notabot
2015-02-16, 10:57 PM
You're quite right. After a closer look at Hot Spot's alt-mode in stock photos, there's definitely a lot of Onslaught to it.

When I first saw the picture, I honestly thought, "Hey, it's a blue Onslaught."

Skyquake87
2015-02-16, 11:03 PM
Gotta admit, I'll be sticking to my original Constructicons and my still fab Build Team repaints. This new Devy just isn't doing it for me :( And I'd agree, the $149 price tag puts this bunch solely in the collector bracket and for that kind of dough, you've got to be impressing. I just don't think the climate is right for Hasbro to be turning out huge toys and both Gen. Metroplex and Devastator look poor to me compared to the more sturdy large toy offerings that the Unicron trilogy turned out a decade ago.

Have to say, out of all these CW gestalts, Superion has turned out the best. He's reasonably well proportioned and all the individual bots are nifty.

Cliffjumper
2015-02-17, 12:32 AM
Am I the only one just completely distrustful of Hasbro's official images now anyway? What does impress me about the Constructicons, like the glossy sheen and the little painted details, is quite likely to not be on the final product.

That said, I do get the appeal of this to collectors; it's just a different ethos to Transformers combiners. It's more in line with Voltron or Chogokin; the big robot is the aim of the game, the ability to split into smaller transforming robots is a feature of the robot rather than a feature of the smaller robots being the ability to combine into a single larger one. It's likely to result in a more coherent final product than most Transformers combiners, which tend to be handicapped by the compromise. And I suppose that logic is backed up by the boxed-set only release - they're admitting the Constructicons just don't stand up as individual figures.

Not that this excuses the failings or that I even really agree with it as a sensible plan, but I'd wager that's the thought behind it.

Tantrum
2015-02-17, 12:51 AM
I thought I saw little wheels near Scavengers ankles in the pics Denyer linked to. But, I didn't see more in his upper legs, or any in Bonecrusher. I was hoping these guys would be like most tank bots, and be able to roll in vehicle mode. It also looks like Hook's crane can't swivel and Mixmaster's drum doesn't turn. Scrapper's shovel looks to have a joint in the middle, like Scoop, which is nice.

The only real letdown is Mixmaster. His robot mode is quite good, but his mixing drum makes an awkward tail instead of a backpack. His actual truck cab looks small, or at least the windshield does, and his Devestator foot faux cab is completely unpainted. Could you paint the faux cab windows and drive him backwards? The wheels would be orientated oddly, but the smokestack and drum would be OK. I'm assuming the drum reversal is just so it ends up orientated correctly in leg mode.

Group pics show Long Haul being larger than the others. Maybe he's full Voyager size, and the rest are smaller? Or, 5 are standard size and LH is bigger. Either way, somebody probably doesn't fit an existing size/price point, which might be why they're sold as a set.

I'm not too bothered by the simplicity. I don't want to spend half an hour going from combined mode to individuals because I've goy to do 6 intricate transformations. The CW limbs I've got so far (Alpha Bravo, Skydive, and Dragstrip) are simple, quick, and fun. Though, it does seem that they've fully given up on trying to hide arms in plane mode. Skydive and Thundercracker don't even try. Powerglide's arms folded away better in G1.

Speaking of Skydive, mine has some pretty loose joints. He can't hold his foot/hand weapon up in robot mode, or Powerglide in gestalt arm mode, without the arm drooping at the elbow. Is this common to all Skydives, or is it worth exchanging for another?

That overall foot/hand design does a very good job at forming either hand or a foot. I like that each one seems tailored to its mold. Alpha Bravo's is sculpted to line up with his upper cockpit in leg mode. Dragstrip's has a hole in the bottom to mount to his vehicle mode. I just hope all the remolding budget isn't being spent on gestalt appendages.

Limb mold reuse isn't too bad, since each one has 4 modes you can display several moldmates and still have some variety. I hope they do more reworking molds into non combiner characters (ie Motormaster into Optimus, Silverbolt into Cyclonus) instead of one combiner character into another (ie Hot Spot likely into Onslaught), just because I want a larger number of new molds. They could do entire teams of new combiners, like the FOC Wreckers, or Masquerade Autobots.

Unicron
2015-02-17, 06:22 AM
On the subject of mold reuse, I have to remind you of the Energon combiner teams. You know, the teams where each one only had two unique limb molds and the other two were simple repaints. At some point Hasbro admitted they had to do it that way for budget reasons (I can't remember if it was so they could do 3 teams instead of 2, or be able to do them at all), so taking that into account I expected a lot of re-use in the line.

Am I the only one just completely distrustful of Hasbro's official images now anyway? What does impress me about the Constructicons, like the glossy sheen and the little painted details, is quite likely to not be on the final product.

Nope, I don't trust them either. Haven't trusted them for a while since they tend not to be the final production version, but I think it was pics for the leader Megatron and Armada Megatron that really put me off them. Way too much digital editing on them, especially with the color.

Skyquake87
2015-02-17, 09:56 AM
Speaking of Skydive, mine has some pretty loose joints. He can't hold his foot/hand weapon up in robot mode, or Powerglide in gestalt arm mode, without the arm drooping at the elbow. Is this common to all Skydives, or is it worth exchanging for another?

Mine has similar issues. His joints, whilst not feeling loose per se, are very...fluid, they don't ratchet and crunch in the same way the other Aerialbots do. Lacking a ratchet joint at the elbows does mean he struggles with the weight of the cannons. Hold's his rifle up fine though.

Have to say, Skydive is my least favourite. He just looks weird with his orthopedic shoe-feet, strange expanse of chest/ shoulders and odd triangular head that looks like a lady's bob hair cut. His eyes are so close together it looks like someone's put his head in a vice. Jet mode is decent though.

Dead Man Wade
2015-02-17, 02:58 PM
Yeah, the other Aerialbots they've come out with are infinitely superior to Skydive. Firefly, for example, is great in robot mode, even if all the white is a bit too much. Alpha Bravo is pretty great, too.

Sades
2015-02-17, 07:59 PM
I just don't get who the target market for the thing is. As an expensive Generations toy based on G1 characters you'd assume it's aimed at collectors, but it's way too simple to pass muster in that regard unless you just want some static thing to stand at the back of a shelf.

The way I see it, it's aimed at people who want something impressive that's not a recolour but who can't afford/justify the purchase of a 3rd party notDevastator. And possibly kids who see if in the store and go "that thing is huge, I want it!"

Just because it's simplistic doesn't mean it's not going to get some love. It's also a good couple of hundred dollars or so under the next best alternative- it'll find it's niche.

Nope, I don't trust them either. Haven't trusted them for a while since they tend not to be the final production version, but I think it was pics for the leader Megatron and Armada Megatron that really put me off them. Way too much digital editing on them, especially with the color.

You're making me sad. I'm sort-of already sad that it's not a Green Giant/Hercules, now I'm just doubly sad. :p Here's hoping it's not shit.

Denyer
2015-02-17, 08:26 PM
The show photos look better overall than the Hercules V2 KO I've got, although I think my best bet for a back-of-display piece is to work on replacing the head of that...

Knightdramon
2015-02-17, 08:55 PM
On the issue of the pricing of the new Devastator, I'm kind of saddened over how lenient a lot of fans have become.

Objectively speaking? It's a combiner made out of barely painted voyager sized robots that have the articulation and engineering of legends. The biggest thing it has going for it is size.

But it costs 150 USD. Taking everything into consideration, it still costs too much for what it is. It's 150 USD dudes.

For [actually less than that] I was able to get MP Magnus, which is more articulated, has die-cast, rubber tires and enough paint to make him interesting.

Same arguement for MP10 Convoy, FT Soar/Scoria [close call on these though] and others.

Hmmm.

Denyer
2015-02-17, 09:26 PM
Or to put it another way, leaving aside 3P comparisons they're reasonably articulated large versions of the originals for roughly the same cost as an Encore reissue set (and for the price of five individual figures of that size, assuming voyagers are twenty quid now and that $150 ~ 100).

Clay
2015-02-17, 11:02 PM
I just don't get who the target market for the thing is. As an expensive Generations toy based on G1 characters you'd assume it's aimed at collectors, but it's way too simple to pass muster in that regard unless you just want some static thing to stand at the back of a shelf.

The way I see it, it's aimed at people who want something impressive that's not a recolour but who can't afford/justify the purchase of a 3rd party notDevastator. And possibly kids who see if in the store and go "that thing is huge, I want it!"

Just because it's simplistic doesn't mean it's not going to get some love. It's also a good couple of hundred dollars or so under the next best alternative- it'll find it's niche.

Hmm. I think he may be conflating "simple" with "cheap". I like the simple design: big, blocky, uncomplicated, quick to transform, etc. I don't like the cheapness of it: hollow parts, inarticulate robots, the general sense of visible cost-cutting, etc.

I think that the former quality would work in favor of its appeal (especially in contrast to the third party stuff), but the latter quality is going to dissuade people by making it not look like it justifies its price. If the best Hasbro could do for Devastator was to offer six over-sized legends figures for the low-low price of $150, maybe they shouldn't have bothered?

Sades
2015-02-17, 11:51 PM
Yep, know what he meant- It's still going to have its fans.

Also, sorry; I sometimes tend to sound aggressive when I'm not trying to be: :)

Clay
2015-02-18, 12:57 AM
No problem.

It is something to consider... it's a $150 with no media tie in, but it's too cheaply produced to really appeal to the people that would recognize it anyway. As you say, that may or may not be relevant if it's impressive enough in person to kids and parents, but the price tag make that an expensive gamble on Hasbro's part.

Sades
2015-02-18, 02:30 AM
On the issue of the pricing of the new Devastator, I'm kind of saddened over how lenient a lot of fans have become.

I think an argument could be made that it's not so much leniency as it is becoming more realistic in terms of what can be expected out of a big corporation, but I'm just a silly girl/don't really give a shit. Well, I might care a little, else I wouldn't be here. Not enough to expand on the thought, though.

Warcry
2015-02-18, 06:10 AM
I thought I saw little wheels near Scavengers ankles in the pics Denyer linked to. But, I didn't see more in his upper legs, or any in Bonecrusher. I was hoping these guys would be like most tank bots, and be able to roll in vehicle mode. It also looks like Hook's crane can't swivel and Mixmaster's drum doesn't turn.
Shit, seriously? That's nearly as egregious as Scrapper's non-elbows at that size.

I'm not too bothered by the simplicity. I don't want to spend half an hour going from combined mode to individuals because I've goy to do 6 intricate transformations. The CW limbs I've got so far (Alpha Bravo, Skydive, and Dragstrip) are simple, quick, and fun.
They're simple, sure. But they're simple in a good way. The transformations aren't complex but they're fully-articulated and they can pull off all four modes with reasonable success. The Constructicons are even simpler in spite of being bigger and only needing to pull off three configurations instead of four. Looking at, say, Scavenger or Mixmaster, I can't honestly say they'd be any fun on their own. Whereas Fireflight is fantastic in his own right and I'm perfectly happy even though I don't have anyone to combine him with.

The way I see it, it's aimed at people who want something impressive that's not a recolour but who can't afford/justify the purchase of a 3rd party notDevastator.
I guess? I just have a hard time divorcing value-for-money from the equation. I mean, if a terrible Devastator is worth $150 (actually, $180 for us), then surely an actually good Devastator would be worth more than that? I'm not a huge fan of the third-party Devastators either since they didn't even try to make the individual robots look like the Constructicons, but I'd certainly pay out for one of them way before I spent any money on the official one even though they cost double.

I guess if I really really wanted something and couldn't afford to spend over $180 I might consider it, but I'd have a really hard time convincing myself I didn't just get ripped off. I mean, shit, I could buy the other four Aerialbots I haven't got yet and all the Protectobots for not much more than that. I'd have a heck of a lot more fun with them, too.

And possibly kids who see if in the store and go "that thing is huge, I want it!"
Actually, this brings up something that I've wondered about for a while. Over the past few years I've noticed that Hasbro's big-ticket items (MPs, Platinum releases, Metroplex) come in closed boxes that you can't actually see the toy in. And going by the convention pics it seems like Devastator will be the same. I wonder if that makes a difference to kids, not being able to see the actual toy when you're browsing the aisles.

Thank you! I was beginning to feel like a lone crazy. :)

Or to put it another way, leaving aside 3P comparisons they're reasonably articulated large versions of the originals for roughly the same cost as an Encore reissue set (and for the price of five individual figures of that size, assuming voyagers are twenty quid now and that $150 ~ 100).
It seems like "six Voyagers" is their target price for this set (both in US and Canada, the price works out to be exactly that), so it'll probably work out to more like 120 if a Voyager is 20 there now.

Hmm. I think he may be conflating "simple" with "cheap". I like the simple design: big, blocky, uncomplicated, quick to transform, etc. I don't like the cheapness of it: hollow parts, inarticulate robots, the general sense of visible cost-cutting, etc.
Simple is okay -- the Aerialbots are simple but still cool. If the Constructicons were made to the same standards as Silverbolt or Alpha Bravo, I'd be sad because I don't have any room for the set. But they're closer to those upscaled Prime Cyberverse guys that came out a year or two ago.

I think an argument could be made that it's not so much leniency as it is becoming more realistic in terms of what can be expected out of a big corporation, but I'm just a silly girl/don't really give a shit. Well, I might care a little, else I wouldn't be here. Not enough to expand on the thought, though.
I dunno. Maybe I'm just obtuse, but I don't like seeing a box set of six Voyager sized-toys, sold for the price of six Voyager-class toys, be so lacking in terms of design complexity and finish. I don't expect a Masterpiece-quality figure for that price, certainly, but my standards are certainly higher than this.

I mean, I get that economies of scale are a thing, and a Titan is going to get a smaller production run than a Voyager. The costs of designing and making the molds will eat into their margins, since they're selling further units. And the mass of the thing in combined mode means that you can't just toss in ball joints everywhere and expect him to still be able to stand, so proper joints will raise the cost a bit too. But if those factors mean that your final product winds up being this shoddy, then it never should have made it off the drawing board. Do something else instead, something that you can do properly without blowing the budget. Maybe make a Devastator at the same scale as the other CW toys instead (with the added bonus of making the individual Constructicons compatible with the other figures) and fill the "big Christmas toy" slot with a giant $100+ Omega Supreme for him to fight (who, if Metroplex is any indication, would turn out much better than Devastator did).

Skyquake87
2015-02-18, 10:03 AM
I wonder why they felt the need to make Devastator so huge. I'd have been happy with six Deluxe sized herberts. And I think you're right - Hasbro have missed a trick by not making them compatible with the other CW toys.

And I don't think its unreasonable to expect some kind of wow factor for $149 (and in the UK I suspect we'll be looking at 150 - 180 for this given that the price for Voyagers is hovering close to 30 these days). It's a lot of money to spend on a toy and I expect something that looks better than those cheap as chips Poundshop knock offs.

I was watching this again last night:

http://youtu.be/Hzn44jgOTYA

and it made me sad how close to official product bootlegs are now :(

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-02-18, 01:25 PM
Hrrrn, the more I look at Rook the less I like him. The concept of new team members is great, I'm all up for that. That figure, though, doesn't work for me. Too bulky, iffy colours, and weird "hand" holes. In the absence of Ambulon (who would've been perfect), I'll probably pass on Rook and grab one of the "Masquerade" 'bots to be Defensor's leg. I'm hoping Prowl or Ironhide will prove possible to modify into a new character in a police or search and rescue vein.

On the subject of the "Masquerade" team, I think I have a fairly good idea of the mould choices.

Mirage = Drag Strip
Prowl = Streetwise (the light bar mod being for the Dead End mould swings it away from the Lambo)
Sunstreaker = Breakdown
Ironhide = First Aid

Hopefully all with new heads, of course. Anyone have any other thoughts?

tahukanuva
2015-02-18, 06:21 PM
On the subject of Devastator's price, it's probably worth noting that big-ticket toy items like that are priced partially with large holiday sales in mind. I'd say all of six people paid full price for Metroplex, and once October hit I didn't see the giant AoE Grimlock for more than $50-60. Devastator may.'cost' $150, but it'll probably hover around $100.

numbat
2015-02-18, 08:58 PM
I have no issue with simple efficient well engineered Transformers. In fact I hate overcomplication. The Prime figures totally nailed the perfect balance for me. Combiner Wars Devastator, though, is oversimplified and a terrible disappointment. Plus it's way overpriced. And I know I've asked a few times now, but seriously what is with the total disaster that is Mixmaster? His G1 design is so simple surely it would fit in with this madness? Instead he looks terrible in every mode.

Anyway. Enough repeating myself.

I look forward to a third party Devastator with G1-esque individual robot modes.

Tantrum
2015-02-19, 12:08 AM
Another thing bugging me about Devestator is the wheels being just plastic mounted to plastic instead of pins. The pinless TFs I have (including Dragstrip) don't seem to roll as well.

CW Devestator seems like a rough draft/proof-of-concept design, just to see if a Devestator made of 6 G1-styled Voyagers would work, that Hasbro decided to release as a product. It's a shame they didn't spend some time refining them, because they look pretty good. It really is just a matter of adding details like wheels and joints, not major reengineering.

Looking at the pics Denyer linked to at the top of page 8, Long Haul is noticably taller than the others, and twice as wide. He might be nearer to Leader size than Voyager, which makes the 6 Voyager price tag look a little better. Still, I'd rather pay 5 Voyagers and a Leader if the extra went into addressing the concerns we've raised over the past couple pages.

I like the idea of Deluxes compatible with the other combiners ever better. Maybe they'll do that with the Predacons. All the gestalts pretty much have Predaking's feet, anyway.

The reliance on mold reuse might hinder making the beast combiners, since their bots were pretty unique. 3P showed you can rework Tantrum into Headstrong. Replacing Divebomb's wing pack with smaller, attached wings might make a passable Cutthroat. Rippersnapper could become Overbite, maybe Skalor. Replacing Nautilator's lobster claws with stumpy legs might get you close to Tentakill.

The Seacons' original gimmick of anyone forming the weapon probably wouldn't work. Skydive can't even hold Powerglide. I doubt any elbow joint could support a Deluxe size weapon.

R&R - I'd assume the Masquerade repaints would be based on that episode: Jazz for Dead End, Sideswipe for Breakdown, and Mirage for Dragstrip. Wildrider's out, which would explain Windcharger being the Legends toy.

Sades
2015-02-19, 01:53 AM
I guess? I just have a hard time divorcing value-for-money from the equation. I mean, if a terrible Devastator is worth $150 (actually, $180 for us), then surely an actually good Devastator would be worth more than that? I'm not a huge fan of the third-party Devastators either since they didn't even try to make the individual robots look like the Constructicons, but I'd certainly pay out for one of them way before I spent any money on the official one even though they cost double.

Yeah, value is relative. I think that there is zero things wrong with your POV. From mine, well, if it doesn't feel like a cheap piece of shit/isn't massively hollow in places it shouldn't be, I can overlook the arms. And it'll be worth it to me, because it will make my husband happy/hooray new shiny, BIG shiny, moar fiddle time/$400ish bucks is more than I can mentally justify shelling out for a toy.

(Heh, Compromise Devastator. "At least it's not $400ish bucks!" "Possibly the next best thing to 3rd party!")

It'll go down in price, too, after release (as tahukanuva mentioned). So it doesn't necessarily have to be $180ish bucks.

I mean, I get that economies of scale are a thing, and a Titan is going to get a smaller production run than a Voyager. The costs of designing and making the molds will eat into their margins, since they're selling further units. And the mass of the thing in combined mode means that you can't just toss in ball joints everywhere and expect him to still be able to stand, so proper joints will raise the cost a bit too. But if those factors mean that your final product winds up being this shoddy, then it never should have made it off the drawing board. Do something else instead, something that you can do properly without blowing the budget. Maybe make a Devastator at the same scale as the other CW toys instead (with the added bonus of making the individual Constructicons compatible with the other figures) and fill the "big Christmas toy" slot with a giant $100+ Omega Supreme for him to fight (who, if Metroplex is any indication, would turn out much better than Devastator did).

:up:

I like this (esp. CW compatible Constructicons). Possibly the line of thought on Hasbro's end was more along the lines of "well, there's two big 3rd party figures of this figure and they're stupid expensive, let's make a cheaper one" and they proceeded to make it as cheaply as possible to give themselves a good, wide profit margin. Because money. :/ Least, that's what I imagine.

Clay
2015-02-20, 05:59 AM
The wiki site has posted their own rundown of the toyfair, and it's remarkably sensible. (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Toy_Fair_2015)

Titan Devastator was a collaboration between designers John Warden and TakaraTomy's Shogo Hasui, who was driven by an almost-religious fervor to see that Devastator reached perfection (and reportedly got very little sleep in the process).

<sigh> Missed it by *that* much...

Denyer
2015-02-25, 08:27 PM
More of a sense of both size and hollowness on those CW Constructicons;

VMUz5dcKmOM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMUz5dcKmOM

Also one for Magnus;

h6wFwaO_sgg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6wFwaO_sgg

edit: Same guy also took close up photos including things like back kibble that don't normally make it into reporting --

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/1035022-my-toy-fair-pics-different-angles.html

Cliffjumper
2015-02-25, 11:38 PM
Difficult to judge on what's presumably a camera phone video but the overall look and finish of Long Haul was exactly what I was afraid of - flat and cheap-looking. Looks like an Autoroller.

Sades
2015-02-25, 11:49 PM
Yeah. Though I'm thinking given the size it might just look thinner, plus I guess weight had to be reduced somehow.

I might also just be trying to talk them up to myself, since we're probably still picking them up. I'm still hopeful! Well, mostly. Sorta. :p

Cliffjumper
2015-02-25, 11:57 PM
It's the sort of thing that if I saw them in store it'd be pretty hard to resist because it's a great big ****ing Devastator who'd probably display pretty nicely with MP cars in robot modes. I'd just probably be pretty annoyed with him afterwards and not do much else with him. While even more flawed, the ROTF Supreme one was a similar sort of thing - it was pretty cool to set him up menacing the little guys but the novelty wore off.

Clay
2015-02-26, 08:31 PM
Another factor is, as numerous third party combiners have bumped into, weight. They tend to get heavy very quickly, and whichever figure makes up the waist and knees has to be able to support all it all. If the Constructicons weren't so hollow, Long Haul would have to have either impossibly robust joints or none at all.

And for something completely batty, here's the rumored reissue set of Blitzwing and Astrotrain: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/first-look-at-platinum-edition-blitzwing-astrotrain-182183/

Blitzwing is apparently done up in Flywheels' colors, which is fun, but Astrotrain seems to have his original deco plus random orange parts.

Warcry
2015-02-26, 09:18 PM
...okay then. That makes exactly zero sense as a retail release.

The guy in the TFW thread who said it looked like a random knockoff has a good point. And people generally don't pay $100+ for knockoffs like what Hasbro is liable to charge for this set.

Cliffjumper
2015-02-26, 09:25 PM
And for something completely batty, here's the rumored reissue set of Blitzwing and Astrotrain: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/first-look-at-platinum-edition-blitzwing-astrotrain-182183/

Not a bad idea!

Blitzwing is apparently done up in Flywheels' colors, which is fun, but Astrotrain seems to have his original deco plus random orange parts.Wait, what? I could kind of see either as mad TakaraTomy lucky draw prizes or something but... what exactly was wrong with the original colours? Would imagine as G1 reissues go there would actually be a bit of demand for the originals of those two.

Without wanting to sound like a mad Geewuner Hasbro seem to keep going out of their way to sabotage reissue programmes.

Clay
2015-02-26, 10:31 PM
Yeah, Blitzwing done up in Flywheels' colors kind of makes sense for a short run exclusive, but it's weird to have him in those colors for a general reissue, let alone boxed with a while, purple, and orange Astrotrain. And it's not even sensibly arranged... it's more like they cast one sprue in orange on accident and just ran with it.

Come to think of it, has Hasbro ever reissued Blitzwing before anyway? I know Takara has at least once.

But yeah, between this set and the Year of the Goat G2 Prime and Masterpiece Soundwave, it's like Hasbro is purposefully trolling the fans or trying to sabotage their own sales.

Sades
2015-02-26, 11:37 PM
Totally does look like a knockoff. From what I can see of them anywho.

You just know someone out there is going "Hahaha, look at them freaking out. 'omgggg it's the wrong coloursssssss.'"

I see a lot of repaints coming.

Clay
2015-02-27, 12:30 AM
Well, I mean it's not that they're the wrong colors. I like Blitzwheels. It's that Astrotrain's color scheme just looks random and terrible.

Sades
2015-02-27, 02:15 AM
Maybe this will inspire people to go back to their originals and repaint them in homage. You never know.

Skyquake87
2015-02-27, 08:59 AM
I quite like the mad colours on these reissues... but yeah, what are Hasbro up to...? And what happened to the Coneheads - surely they haven't lost the moulds already...

Not sure what I think of Devastator really. I think I'd need to see one in the flesh. Probably going to be enormous Tonka toy style fun. Although Tonka toys aren't much fun since they got rid of the metal.

Hound
2015-02-27, 09:18 AM
Meh, I'd love to have the two figures but only if they were in the original colour scheme.

So getting the Devestator. Is there a release date on him, or just sometime before the end of they year?

Sades
2015-02-27, 09:35 AM
Fall of 2015, Sweetcheeks.

Hound
2015-02-27, 09:35 AM
Thanks Sugartits

Sades
2015-02-27, 09:38 AM
Thanks Sugartits

This amuses me greatly.

Not sure what I think of Devastator really. I think I'd need to see one in the flesh.

Same. (You're right about those Tonka trucks, too.)

Denyer
2015-03-05, 01:30 AM
Personally I thought the earlier and individual pics looked better than this;

https://www.facebook.com/masterforceuk/photos/a.231471807002720.1073741828.222182447931656/457772367705995/?type=1&permPage=1

http://i.imgur.com/PYxc4wO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PYxc4wO.jpg

Will be sticking with a V2 KO Hercules and official head upgrade kit plus modified digger attachment, I think.

Hound
2015-03-05, 05:36 AM
*shrug*

I still want him...

Denyer
2015-03-05, 05:17 PM
Noticeably little kibble there. But that's pretty authentic to the original toy and how the character's been animated/drawn, and was clearly probably the right decision for the main audience.

Raises interesting possibilities about someone copying and downsizing, though.

Skyquake87
2015-03-05, 10:09 PM
Loving the box art with the hilarious shrunken head

Tantrum
2015-03-09, 10:37 PM
I'm on the fence about CW Optimus. There's been a lot of conjecture about extra limb-bots, like Masquerade repaints or Slingshot. Have any of these been confirmed for US retail? I'm more likely to want an extra combiner torso if there'll be extra limbs to go with him.

Is there likely to be an Ultra Magnus repaint? I already have far more Optimus toys than UMs, and would prefer an UM. But, there's already an Ultra Magnus coming out, and the Ultra Prime moniker/gestalt head make me wonder if this is the CW Ultra Magnus tribute.

Warcry
2015-03-10, 12:52 AM
I'm on the fence about CW Optimus. There's been a lot of conjecture about extra limb-bots, like Masquerade repaints or Slingshot. Have any of these been confirmed for US retail? I'm more likely to want an extra combiner torso if there'll be extra limbs to go with him.
They've shown up in US store listings, which is about as confirmed as things get nowadays barring an official Hasbro news release. We probably won't know for sure until BotCon, though.

Is there likely to be an Ultra Magnus repaint? I already have far more Optimus toys than UMs, and would prefer an UM. But, there's already an Ultra Magnus coming out, and the Ultra Prime moniker/gestalt head make me wonder if this is the CW Ultra Magnus tribute.
There's been rumours that one might come out, but with the Leader coming soon and the figure already being remolded into Motormaster I'd be surprised if it happened any time soon.

Tantrum
2015-03-15, 04:46 PM
Thanks, Warcry. I did pick up CW Optimus. There's some minor QC issues with the paint, a small spot of grey in the midst of red, and two bubles on the roof. Other than that, he's a decent figure with a few minor flaws in each mode. I'm hopeful that most of them will stand out less with Motormaster's more unified color scheme.

The truck looks great and rolls well; the only issue is the combined mode chest on the back sticking out. The bot has a small head, though you can flip out the gestalt head and use that instead. It's a little oversized, but not by much. The torso mode is the weakest. The head sits on a flat piece that folds out, but doesn't sit flush against the body, so you see a gap between the head and torso.

The decision to make the Legends figure optional means the torso has to work with or without it. Both versions look OK, but I think if they'd commited to one, they could have made that one look better than either look now.
On the subject of the "Masquerade" team, I think I have a fairly good idea of the mould choices.

Mirage = Drag Strip
Prowl = Streetwise (the light bar mod being for the Dead End mould swings it away from the Lambo)
Sunstreaker = Breakdown
Ironhide = First Aid

Hopefully all with new heads, of course. Anyone have any other thoughts?The Optimus combined mode is refered to as Ultra Prime, and the head looks like a hybrid of Optimus Prime's and Ultra Magnus'. Maybe they'll do blue and white limbs to match UM's, like Mirage, Jazz, and Tracks. Gears is blue and red instead of blue and white, but red still works for UM, so he might work as the Offroad repaint.

Clay
2015-03-16, 11:32 PM
Here are the Reissue Coneheads for the curious. (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/inpackage-pics-of-platinum-conehead-seekers-3pack-with-thurst-dirge-and-ramjet/32433/)

Skyquake87
2015-03-17, 09:14 AM
Nice. Saw Kapow have the reissue Insecticons for 40, which is pretty much what the last reissue set cost.

Denyer
2015-03-24, 11:42 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/transformers-facebook-teases-combiner-wars-quickslinger-brake-neck-update-fully-revealed-182346/

YAY.

http://i.imgur.com/qTFB8aO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qTFB8aO.jpg

Hound
2015-03-25, 01:12 AM
Ah crap now I have to wait to get those instead of the helicopter and off-road things.

Thunderwave
2015-03-25, 02:27 AM
Woot! I'm happier about these then I should be.

Not that there is anything wrong with Alpha Bravo. He's a neat toy, and stand in, all on his own.

Skyquake87
2015-03-25, 03:14 PM
The more I've played with with Off Road, the more I think 'what are you doing with the Stunticons?'. Aesthetically, he's quite slender and tough looking. The rest of the Stunticons are these slick looking cars that turn into portly mis-shapen blocks and he looks out of place with them. So I'll go for Brake-Neck (like what they've done there) and skip Quickslinger...as he looks like a slightly feeble Firefly retool/ repaint.

Sades
2015-03-25, 06:16 PM
Ah crap now I have to wait to get those instead of the helicopter and off-road things.

No. NO.

JKIDGAF

Denyer
2015-03-25, 06:48 PM
Not that there is anything wrong with Alpha Bravo. He's a neat toy, and stand in, all on his own.
Yeah, but will be happy to have a decent standalone CW figure separate from Superion...

Warcry
2015-03-25, 07:51 PM
Glad that they made them for those who want to make their combiners G1-accurate. I wonder if the combined modes will look better or worse with symmetrical limbs? I doubt Superion will look much different honestly, since Slingshot and Alpha Bravo have the same colour schemes.

Wildrider is at least a bit different from Offroad, and the mold looks a lot nicer than it did as Dead End. Love the new head, too! Slingshot not so much...he just looks like a duller Fireflight.

Info seems to be foggy when it comes to how these will actually be sold, though. Are they online exclusives, or is that just a few fans jumping to conclusions?

Thunderwave
2015-03-26, 10:05 PM
I was looking at my Superion and now that we are getting a Slingshot I can't help but to feel like that kid growing up. The one with three guys from one combiner team and two limbs from other random teams tacked on to form one combiner because they couldn't complete a set.

Warcry
2015-04-24, 04:07 PM
A whole bunch of new CW listings have popped up at TFW (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/rumor-combiner-wars-combaticons-listings-and-more-182553/). Combaticons aren't a surprise, but some of the other stuff? A bit more of one.

inflatable dalek
2015-04-24, 04:14 PM
So the Autobots are presumably for the Masquarade themed Stunticons set to go with the Prime then?

Wreck-Gar from Groove? I suppose it makes sense in terms of there being limited bike repaints.

No Mainframe or Grotusque though?* :(

*If you're not reading the comics, IDW think these two boys are in the Protectobots. Not in a one panel mistake kind of way, but for two issues solid kind of a way.

Inaction Master
2015-04-24, 04:38 PM
Weird - I'd figured they'd try finding a replacement for Blast Off, but they do still own the trademark I suppose. And a new Trailbreaker? Too soon, Hasbro. Too soon.

inflatable dalek
2015-04-24, 04:39 PM
But how can they homage a mediocre episode without him?

Inaction Master
2015-04-24, 06:48 PM
Hey I liked Aerial Assault - that purple griffon was Megatron's finest accomplishment!

But hey, maybe we'll get lucky and they give Blast an actually appropriate vehicle form to go with his unit, like a stealth bomber or something.

Knightdramon
2015-04-24, 07:12 PM
Hasbro's scratching that combiner itch hardcore this past year. Thus far I have none, but they look genuinely fun.

Wheeljack, Smokescreen and Trailbreaker---I wonder if they'll be original moulds or retools from existing ones? Might as well be combiner retools.

Warcry
2015-04-24, 07:35 PM
No Mainframe or Grotusque though?* :(
I would go nuts for a new Grotusque, accidental Protectobot or not.

Wheeljack, Smokescreen and Trailbreaker---I wonder if they'll be original moulds or retools from existing ones? Might as well be combiner retools.
At a guess, Smokescreen will probably be a redeco of the Prowl we heard about earlier. Wheeljack shares most of his transformation with Lightspeed, so I'd expect the two of them to share a mold if the long-rumoured Technobots come to pass.

Knightdramon
2015-04-24, 08:05 PM
Prowl is a retool [new head] from First Aid. It looks badass ;)

Smokescreen from that would look odd, but certainly possible.

Unicron
2015-04-24, 08:46 PM
Prowl is a retool [new head] from First Aid. It looks badass ;)

Actually, there's no solid proof that Prowl is a retool of First Aid. All there is pointing to that is the line art or whatever of First Aid showing him with Prowl-like horn things on his head. Which could very easily be Ratchet-like horn things instead.

Skyquake87
2015-04-25, 08:39 PM
I want to know who Thunderhoof (really?) is. That's all I'm curious about.

Tetsuro
2015-04-26, 04:32 AM
I still say "Thunderhoof" sounds like a My Little Pony character.

Inaction Master
2015-04-26, 10:28 AM
I still say "Thunderhoof" sounds like a My Little Pony character.
Or a new kind of Pokemon.

Clay
2015-04-26, 01:51 PM
My Little Pony and Transformers are Hasbro's top two brands at the moment...

Thunderwave
2015-04-26, 04:49 PM
Actually, there's no solid proof that Prowl is a retool of First Aid. All there is pointing to that is the line art or whatever of First Aid showing him with Prowl-like horn things on his head. Which could very easily be Ratchet-like horn things instead.

Am I alone in being amused that we may get a new Prowl from Streetwise and a new Ratchet from First Aid?

He's one of the new RiD Decepticons. There are a few that are pretty heavily based of animals. Just look for the robot with antlers.

Denyer
2015-04-26, 07:29 PM
This guy. Played as a bit of a US old-style gangster type in the show.

http://i.imgur.com/spyHeFJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/spyHeFJ.jpg

Skyquake87
2015-04-27, 09:10 AM
ha! he looks brilliant. haven't checked out the new cartoon,so this was lost on me :)

Tetsuro
2015-04-27, 10:11 AM
Or a new kind of Pokemon.
To sound like a pokemon, it'd have to be abbreviated to something like "Thundoof".

Those antlers def. make me think of a pokemon tho! (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Xerneas_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29)

Notabot
2015-05-24, 05:14 AM
Toys R Us has listings now for Quickslinger and Brake-Neck. Brake-Neck makes me think the colors are mis-adjusted on my monitor. Looks like a terrible digibash.

Tetsuro
2015-05-25, 10:26 AM
There's boxart for the Platinum reissue of Trypticon. (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1042603-trypticon-reissue-box-art-revealed-post12576089.html)

My only concern is where the hell am I gonna get this shipped to or within Europe? Specifically at non-scalper prices...

Knightdramon
2015-05-25, 10:50 AM
Trypticon looks bitching.

Until you actually open the box and find a nearly 30 year old toy that has 2 or so points of articulation :lol:

If I were you I'd wait until Kapow gets their in/up for preorder, for shipping within Europe etc. That would avoid all customs charges ;)

Thunderwave
2015-05-25, 11:48 AM
My hope with Typticon is that they kept the internal motor for the various gimmicks, although knowing Hasbro it's a 50/50 chance there.

I'm not really concerned that the only real points of articulation are his arms. Like many people I've wanted him since I was a kid. Here is a chance to own him.

Clay
2015-05-25, 01:09 PM
My hope with Typticon is that they kept the internal motor for the various gimmicks, although knowing Hasbro it's a 50/50 chance there.

The front of the box has a note for requiring batteries, so I'd say that it's a safe bet that we can all have Trypticon races in the future. :)

Skyquake87
2015-05-25, 01:43 PM
I'd be up for a Trypticon. The walking gimmick is cute :) That box art is awesome. The only thing that bothers me, is that like the other platinum reissues, I can see the box being preposterously large for no good reason.

Thunderwave
2015-05-25, 03:15 PM
The front of the box has a note for requiring batteries, so I'd say that it's a safe bet that we can all have Trypticon races in the future. :)

YES! Now I'll have to get one and have it chase after my cat.

After this I'll just need to track down a Fort Max, reissue or not. I've got a G1 Skorpinok coming to me at some point in the near future as payment for services rendered so that would complete the set of citybots.

Unicron
2015-05-25, 04:39 PM
I'm rather tempted by good old Trypty, mainly to pair him with the re-issue Metroplex I picked up some years ago. I don't care about the 2 and a half points of articulation or whatever, doesn't matter. My main concern is if he's got the electronics, and to a less extent the price. No motor, no sale.

Knightdramon
2015-05-25, 04:56 PM
As Clay pointed out, there are signs for batteries on the front of the box, so motor action and/or sound effects are a given.

Much love and awe about city bots I see--generally never have been a fan of bases/city bots...the sole exception is that I liked the MP10 trailer :lol:

Unicron
2015-05-25, 07:29 PM
As Clay pointed out, there are signs for batteries on the front of the box, so motor action and/or sound effects are a given.

Stupid thread decided to roll over to a new page right before his post and I never noticed till right now, so I totally missed that reply. Good news then.

Now my only concerns are price, and release date. Though from the picture over at TFW, I'm curious about the colors. Maybe it's my monitor, or the lighting and/or camera they used, but the purple and teal parts look a touch odd. After those oddball color schemes they picked for that recent Astrotrain and Blitzwing set, I don't take the colors for granted anymore

Sades
2015-05-25, 07:46 PM
\o/ !!!

Though I bought an old one last yearish for like $60 or something. But yeah... He's so nice. I'd buy him twice.

As long as the colour bullshit mentioned above me ^^ right therelike isn't too off.

Unicron
2015-05-25, 10:17 PM
And we now have a back of box pic. It specifically calls out the walking feature. While the battery thing on the front was enough, this just cements it.

Good pictures of bot and city mode on the back too (with a smaller pic of the battle station mode). Looks like the proper color scheme, though I'm not certain the shades are exactly right. Might be that the pic I was using to compare to isn't the best representation.

Very very tempting

Thunderwave
2015-05-25, 10:44 PM
Looks like the proper color scheme, though I'm not certain the shades are exactly right. Might be that the pic I was using to compare to isn't the best representation.

Lots of things can muddle colors in pictures, especially in a picture of a picture. Lighting, camera quality, photoshopping of the original image, and so on. I'll probably wait for better photos of the thing itself before I decide.

Unicron
2015-05-25, 11:00 PM
Lots of things can muddle colors in pictures, especially in a picture of a picture. Lighting, camera quality, photoshopping of the original image, and so on. I'll probably wait for better photos of the thing itself before I decide.

I know.
There's 3 pictures currently: One of the front of the box with the art, one with the front flap open showing Trypticon and his accessories, and one of the back of the box.

It was the one showing the toy in package that had me thinking the colors might be off. But I was using the pic of Trypticon from the Wiki as a reference, which upon checking turns out to be a scan from the Generations book. Which explains the apparent color differences (Wiki pic looks a little washed out).
So nothing to really worry about.