PDA

View Full Version : The person who should receive credit for inventing Transformers

ebaillargeon82
2014-08-02, 02:21 AM
Many people credit Nobuyuki Okude, Koujin Ohno, or Bob Budiansky as the creator of Transformers. Actually, credit should go to Yasuta Satoh, the head of Takara at the time that the MicroMan, Diaclone, and Transformers toylines were created. He was the one who most likely came up with the idea for the MicroMan and Diaclone toylines (not to mention he also came up with the idea for the earlier Henshin Cyborg toyline). And since the Transformers toyline was initially just MicroMan and Diaclone toys imported from Japan, he would most likely be the one who should receive credit for creating Transformers.

So I say the person who should receive the title of "Creator of Transformers" would be Yasuta Satoh. Let me hear your opinions.

Cliffjumper
2014-08-02, 01:11 PM
Bob Budiansky & Jim Shooter created Transformers. The Takara mob just invented the toys he based the stuff on, which weren't the first robot toys or even the first transforming robot toys - that's like claiming the guy who invented the ball invented football. The toys played their part in the success for sure, but the fate of Gobots showed how important the fictional mythos was to Transformers being Transformers.

Terome
2014-08-02, 01:28 PM
That's a cool bit of trivia which I hadn't considered before. I would side with Cliffy on this and say that Transformers is a brand that took shape under Shooter and Budiansky. It might be simple racism on my part but that is the answer I give people if they happen to ask me.

Who was the Hasbro wonk who saw the Takara toys at that expo? Didn't he also come up with the name, 'Transformers?'

But anyhow, it doesn't really make much sense to seek a single creator. Nobuyuki Okude, Koujin Ohno, Bob Budiansky, Jim Shooter, Yasuta Satoh and that Hasbro wonk can share whichever portion of the title they deserve.

inflatable dalek
2014-08-02, 01:42 PM
Yeah, it's very much a created by committee franchise (and there's probably bored executives we'll never hear of who threw in important ideas in meetings held whilst they waited for the pubs to open), but Budiansky is pretty much the main architect.

Mind, whilst Shooter's contributions may have been smaller, the bits and bobs he threw in before his attention was drawn elsewhere had a big impact.

I wonder how much, if any, of Denny O'Neil's treatment survived into the finished product?