PDA

View Full Version : I both love and hate the PS2 Armada game

Cliffjumper
2014-09-25, 08:41 PM
It's great fun even if it's about Armada but my ****ing God I am going to have to start buying Cyclonus toys off ebay and doing terrible, terrible things to them. Easily the most frustrating and preposterously overpowered computer game boss ever. And you have to get in that lift every time, over and over. ARGH.

Unicron
2014-09-25, 09:24 PM
I seem to recall when fighting him I'd end up dodging around a lot, and I think I'd usually dive off the top of the pyramid. Take the fight to the ground, more room, more cover. I could swear I usually ended up in a canyon at the bottom of a waterfall when fighting him. Probably because it narrowed down the direction he could come from.

Damn you. Now I actually kind of want to play this again.

Cliffjumper
2014-09-25, 09:40 PM
Yeh, I've kind-of got the theory nailed - keep out of reach, keep moving, keep hitting him with ranged, preferably heat seeking, missiles. It's just easier said than done and only works up until the point he does that preposterous throwing-you-by-one leg thing where you end up anywhere and generally have to wait until he starts firing at you to get any sort of fix on him. Got him in the end but I dread to think how many tries it took.

Personally I find the Movie PS2 game a lot less frustrating even if it is a bit stupid in places...

The Armada game's save points are deeply irritating too... I'm onto the bit where you have to glide onto Tidal Wave. There's a save point just before you do the gliding which means every time you have to glide across and take on the twenty drones chilling onto his flight deck. At least they only had to do it once on D-Day.

Auntie Slag
2014-09-25, 10:03 PM
Ha! That's where I am too! I think I must've bought the game about three or four years ago and worked through it mildly until I got stuck on that island with Tidal Wave in the distance. I simply could not work out how to get to him without my flight mini-con running out of steam and dropping into the sea.

About six-months ago I tried it again and made it on the third or fourth attempt. I just wasn't picking the right take off point. Then I started mashing around inside the aircraft carrier and got a bit bored and switched off. I hate my lack of tolerance for this stuff. I claim to love games, and then I get really narked at them.

Still, I loved the Armada game because the characters really feel like they have weight to them. I love the big stompy noises they make, and the bulky inertia... and the cute minicons as they follow dutifully behind you.

Clay
2014-09-25, 10:36 PM
I've been meaning to get a PS2 just to play Katamari Damacy, but the Armada game is another point in its favor.

Cliffjumper
2014-09-26, 12:00 PM
Still, I loved the Armada game because the characters really feel like they have weight to them. I love the big stompy noises they make, and the bulky inertia... and the cute minicons as they follow dutifully behind you.

Yeh, the general movement of the Autobots is really nicely done and TBH it's just fun to be a Transformer in general, which is the reason the first film game gets a lot from me as well. I mean this is stuff I would have killed someone to get twenty, thirty years ago so I sometimes feel a bit churlish criticising it... But:

PROS & CONS

Armada:

Pros:

Fun combat system (apart from bosses)
Lots of generic enemies to blow up
Say what you like about the Minicons in fiction but they really, really fit video games
The whole HQ/warpgate feels very organic as a set-up too.
You can pick which one you want to be - albeit only from three guys one of whom is Hotshot, but still. Red Alert actually seems to be the character I have the most success with oddly.

Cons:

Really is quite difficult... I keep going across to tutorials to find out what I'm doing wrong and finding out either 1) I'm doing the right thing and it really is that hard or 2) there's one really specific way of doing things which isn't made particularly clear... the gliding is one of these; if you don't start out from pretty much one precise point, you don't make it to Tidal Wave.
Overpowered bosses: I've beaten the big drone guy, Starscream and Cyclonus but each took several returns to the HQ and I wouldn't bet on my ability to beat them again, so I didn't really enjoy beating them as it felt like a fluke. Whereas for something like GTA I enjoy the harder missions and get a sense of satisfaction from coming up with a strategy and often look forward to playing them again.
There's not really much use for vehicle modes. The landscapes all involve so many obstacles you really can't drive around for more than a few seconds without having to switch back to robot mode and climb or jump. That little dramatic jump you do going back into robot mode also hurts it in terms of transforming during a fight because you're never quite sure where you're going to land.

Movie:

Pros:

The quasi-sandbox realistic levels are great stuff, often I ignore the missions and just 'play' Transformers, wrecking that wonderful power station, shooting Swindle and climbing buildings.
There's a lot more use for vehicle mode as the levels are generally flatter and more open
There's generally a lot more to do.

Cons:

The combat system's a bit of a pain. Basically everything is invulnerable to your weapons and fighting most of the drones is basically a puzzle ("right, it's a Mixmaster, that means I have to bean him with a truck and then throw him").
At least half of the missions are ridiculous because they've gone for variety when all you really want is "Jazz/Bumblebee/Ironhide, there are fifty drones hiding around the city, KILL THEM ALL". Instead you have to do loads of time trials and bluntly the vehicle mode controls aren't good enough.
The other problem is the somewhat arbitrary mission goals are silly - when you fight Shockwave if you stop him after destroying 99.99% of Tranquility it's a momentous Autobot victory. Let him tip over to 100% and somehow you can't be bothered to stop Megatron from stealing the Allspark.

inflatable dalek
2014-09-26, 02:42 PM
But the important question is, did you get the Furman/Wildman comic that came with the UK release?

Paul053
2014-09-26, 02:52 PM
This game is the reason that I still keep my PS2, although it is in closet now. Yes, it's extremely hard but I really love the whole game set up and landscape. If I remembered correctly from Tidal Wave to the end of the game, I ended up have to use cheat code to keep me alive. Yeah, I know, shame on me.....

Tripredacus
2014-09-30, 05:36 PM
I liked the idea of the Armada game until I played it. Vehicle modes were cool to use but year, the landscape and game mechanics do not really let you do that. I had to go somewhere and decided to take a shortcut... I then found that you can drown in the water! I gave up after that, it really broke the game to me.