PDA

View Full Version : Octopi (in general)

Sades
2014-10-21, 07:13 AM
Hey, do you think Octopus have dominant tentacles, like we do hands?

Or maybe an entire side is dominant...? Except that I think an octopus is more like a horse with it's eyes on the side rather than like people.

edit: please ignore drunk me, and know that Hound sent me out to post my question here so I'd stop asking him and he could get some sleep :p THANKS HONEY.

inflatable dalek
2014-10-21, 03:00 PM
I believe Octopussy was right handed if that helps.

Sades
2014-10-21, 05:31 PM
Drunk me warning people that I'm drunk. That's... actually not at all out of character for me.

As I told Hound this morning, all I wanted last night was answers. Now, all I want is water. :p

Yay for no hangovers.

Dead Man Wade
2014-10-21, 05:34 PM
I attempted an informal poll of local octopi, but I ran into two problems:

1. Living in a landlocked state, there weren't many to be found.
2. What octopi were at the aquarium remained cagey as ever.

As such, I am forced to assume that each arm is ranked on a scale from 1-8, where 8 is "dominant" and 1 is "gimpy". As such, an arm that falls closer to the "dominant" part of the spectrum would be slightly more coordinated that one that ranks in the 2-3 range, but maybe isn't able to write as legibly as a perfect 8.

Wikipedia does not offer anything to contradict this, so it's true.

Boom. Sorted.

Sades
2014-10-21, 09:05 PM
I have been informed/confirmed through the magic that is Google that Octopi have a dominant eye rather than a dominant tentacle.

I also have a picture of a slice of processed cheese with rainbow sprinkles on it as my phone's wallpaper. Which I remember taking but not wallpapering, which is a little worrying to me.

Octopi are actually pretty interesting little guys. Top two articles via Google:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92398531

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/6474/

"Octopuses" is the more correct term but I'm too used to using "Octopi" and prefer it. I could just be a shit and start using "octopodes"...

inflatable dalek
2014-10-22, 03:45 PM
And let us not forget the greatest octopus of them all, Octopunch. Half octopus, half Tom Selleck, all man.

Skyquake87
2014-10-22, 05:16 PM
Think you're getting Stranglehold muddled up with Octopunch, there Dalek (he says, being a massive pedant and spoiling the fun). Octopunch had the creature with four tentacles in an old-school diving suit and turned into, er, a crab and Stanglehold had the moustachioed outershell and turned into wild boar. Or just a boar. Or maybe a bore.

A bit like me, waffling on like this...

inflatable dalek
2014-10-22, 05:19 PM
Much like the Sex Pistols, I can't tell these Pretenders apart.

Sades
2014-10-22, 05:36 PM
spoiling the fun

No fear of that here... this was just an attempt to try and salvage something mildly embarrassing.

I do like Octopus, though. They're awesome.

Rack 'n Ruin
2014-10-22, 07:43 PM
Much like the Sex Pistols, I can't tell these Pretenders apart.

Well, Chrissie Hynde is the woman who sings...

Notabot
2014-10-22, 09:52 PM
Pete Best was their original drummer.

inflatable dalek
2014-10-22, 10:25 PM
But Andrea Corr was the prettiest.