PDA

View Full Version : Japanese / Asian market exclusives: Masterpiece, Generations, etc

Pages : [1] 2 3

Denyer
2015-01-08, 10:11 PM
MP21G -- Goldbug G2 repaint of Bumblebee. Like this more than the yellow, personally.

http://i.imgur.com/tb9wNOs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tb9wNOs.jpg

Unicron
2015-01-08, 10:36 PM
Is that a rocket pack and the g2 Autobot symbol?

And I agree, this does look better than the plain yellow

Denyer
2015-01-08, 11:13 PM
Looks like a yes on both counts. The backpack would be a plus as I'd probably re-purpose it for Sideswipe...

Do still really like the Artfeather Goldbug though.

Unicron
2015-01-09, 12:06 AM
Looks like a yes on both counts. The backpack would be a plus as I'd probably re-purpose it for Sideswipe...
That assumes it's got the appropriate design to attach to him (that or the obligatory 3rd party adaptor becomes available). Seems like Takara would design it so it would though. I also guess this is their solution to the potential too many exo-suit problem from various repaints.

Warcry
2015-01-09, 04:03 AM
MP21G -- Goldbug repaint of Bumblebee. Like this more than the yellow, personally.
Nah, it's G2 Bumblebee. Goldbug has a much different head, it's blue and has a totally different shape. And he was in the cartoon, so they definitely would have done the remolding if it was meant to be Goldbug.

Definitely an improvement over the bland orangish original release, though. It's amazing the difference a new coat of paint can make. Not entirely sure I like it enough to actually buy it, but I'm not scoffing at the idea like I did with the original.

Unicron
2015-01-09, 04:59 AM
In other news, Takara is doing another release of MP-10. Due out in/around May. Pre-orders are going up at all the usual places.

zigzagger
2015-01-09, 05:41 PM
Re: MP-21G -- Usually not too crazy about chrome myself. Sans the Transmetals stuff, of course; those were fabulous. But this I kinda like. The gold is slightly dulled, so it's not as obnoxious per Takara's usual antics. Makes the mold just pop.

The limbs might be molded in a different shade of black, too.

Will have to agree; I prefer G2 'Bee over the original release.

numbat
2015-01-09, 11:00 PM
Definitely an improvement over the bland orangish original release, though.

Were there issues with orange paint? My MP Bumblebee is yellow, and I have to say my favourite Masterpiece to date. Infact he's my favourite Transformer ever.

:-)

I like the gold version, but would only pay out for Goldbug.

Denyer
2015-01-09, 11:47 PM
Nah, it's G2 Bumblebee. Goldbug has a much different head, it's blue and has a totally different shape. And he was in the cartoon, so they definitely would have done the remolding if it was meant to be Goldbug.
Oh yeah, there was a regular one as well as the Gobot, wasn't there...

They're going to get a decent number of mould reuses out of this with a new head or two.

I'm liking the G2 love, even if the most iconic one was done with Sideswipe.

AndrewDTurnbull
2015-01-10, 12:10 AM
I chucked an order in with Robot Kingdom for this. The G2 homage made it a must buy toy. Though I would still go for an MP Goldbug toy further down the line.

Warcry
2015-01-10, 02:30 AM
Re: MP-21G -- Usually not too crazy about chrome myself. Sans the Transmetals stuff, of course; those were fabulous. But this I kinda like. The gold is slightly dulled, so it's not as obnoxious per Takara's usual antics. Makes the mold just pop.
Is it even chromed? It's really hard to tell in a picture this size, but it seems too flat to be gold chrome. I was thinking it might actually be a really nice gold paint.

Oh yeah, there was a regular one as well as the Gobot, wasn't there...
There was! It was one of the nicest Minibots IMO, though the chrome on mine has started to discolour a bit over the decades.

They're going to get a decent number of mould reuses out of this with a new head or two.
The list is pretty deep for this mold, isn't it? Aside from the original and this, there's Goldbug obviously. And red Bumblebee, which a lot of folks will buy as a Cliffjumper stand-in. Then Glyph and Bugbite, and I suppose there's a ton of Latin American decos too. So they definitely won't be hurting for ideas. But like Sideswipe, I doubt they'll put out all of them.

And that's before you consider the possibility that they might reshell the thing as Cliffjumper, Hubcap and Bumper, which is probably a 50/50 proposition.

I chucked an order in with Robot Kingdom for this. The G2 homage made it a must buy toy. Though I would still go for an MP Goldbug toy further down the line.
I almost did the same, until I saw the ridiculous shipping rates they were charging to Canada. I've gotten EMS quotes for similar-sized items coming from Asia that were less than what they wanted for bog-standard surface shipping that'll take the better part of a month to get here. No thanks.

I guess I'll wait and see what the price is when he pops up on Japanese sites before I decide whether or not I'm getting one. The G2 homage makes it pretty close to a must-have for me as well, especially since I already have G2 Sideswipe and those two were in my top-five favourite toys when I was little.

Were there issues with orange paint? My MP Bumblebee is yellow, and I have to say my favourite Masterpiece to date. Infact he's my favourite Transformer ever.
Maybe it's just how he looks in pictures, but the colour looks closer to a block of cheddar cheese than the bright, cheery yellow that I'd expect from a cartoon-based Bumblebee. Of course, that's probably just me being picky on account of how many other good Bumblebee toys I already own. The more toys I own of a character, the higher my standards get for any new one.

Unicron
2015-01-10, 02:38 AM
Is it even chromed? It's really hard to tell in a picture this size, but it seems too flat to be gold chrome. I was thinking it might actually be a really nice gold paint.
That definitely looks like a nice paint to me. Small pic yes, but it doesn't have the shine or reflectiveness I normally see on chromed stuff.

At least I hope it's paint and not actually gold plastic...

zigzagger
2015-01-10, 05:54 AM
Well, uh... it's shiny anyway. So hush :p

Takara likes making shiny Transformers, often unnecessarily so. For once I like it. Guess that's what I meant.

inflatable dalek
2015-01-10, 09:35 AM
For those tnat own it, how easy does it look that they could get a decent Goldbug out of this, complete with hood?

Denyer
2015-01-10, 02:33 PM
Could possibly pivot the entire back roof piece around 180 degrees. Suspect it'd need a remould and be a bit fragile. Seems like it'd definitely work as a custom, though.

http://i.imgur.com/4izE113.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4izE113.jpg

Pic from http://chcse.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/toy-review-transformers-masterpiece-mp-21-bumblebee-with-exosuit.html

edit:

The list is pretty deep for this mold, isn't it? Aside from the original and this, there's Goldbug obviously. And red Bumblebee, which a lot of folks will buy as a Cliffjumper stand-in. Then Glyph and Bugbite, and I suppose there's a ton of Latin American decos too. So they definitely won't be hurting for ideas. But like Sideswipe, I doubt they'll put out all of them.

And that's before you consider the possibility that they might reshell the thing as Cliffjumper, Hubcap and Bumper, which is probably a 50/50 proposition.

Could go for either Redbee or Hubcap, personally. I like the design enough but am pretty sick of the BB character / archetype (more what it's become than what it was originally) which is partly why I went for a 3P Goldbug and haven't been thinking about this current redeco as him.

Will still probably snag one of these if I see a good price or it gets knocked off.

inflatable dalek
2015-01-10, 03:17 PM
I can see the hood working for GB, I'll probably wait for that (inevitability?) as I've always liked toys that feel like a gooooooooooooooold bug more.

I do have to agree with Warcry, in pictures, even of toys in hand like the one Denyer posted that haven't been photoshopped to buggery like the official ones, the colour just looks oddly wrong for Bumblebee. It should be a more vibrant yellow rather than the borderline orange, I don't think he's ever looked like that in any media.

Warcry
2015-01-11, 04:18 AM
I guess I'll wait and see what the price is when he pops up on Japanese sites before I decide whether or not I'm getting one. The G2 homage makes it pretty close to a must-have for me as well, especially since I already have G2 Sideswipe and those two were in my top-five favourite toys when I was little.
That was quick...was able to preorder him at Anime-Export for around $15 less (including shipping, based on the estimates they give for the other MP cars) than what Robot Kingdom would have wanted.

I'm glad they lowered the MSRP from the first MP-21. Charging the same for this little guy as the full-sized cars was downright extortionate, IMO. The price for this version is much more reasonable.

That definitely looks like a nice paint to me. Small pic yes, but it doesn't have the shine or reflectiveness I normally see on chromed stuff.

I do have to agree with Warcry, in pictures, even of toys in hand like the one Denyer posted that haven't been photoshopped to buggery like the official ones, the colour just looks oddly wrong for Bumblebee. It should be a more vibrant yellow rather than the borderline orange, I don't think he's ever looked like that in any media.
So I'm not going blind after all? That's a relief!

Could possibly pivot the entire back roof piece around 180 degrees. Suspect it'd need a remould and be a bit fragile. Seems like it'd definitely work as a custom, though.
They might make it a separate accessory too, like G2 Sideswipe's extra set of shoulder wheels.

I do wonder if this release says that they're not planning a Goldbug, though. With the wide swath of available colour schemes, I would definitely be a little bit surprised to see them do two that are so very similar, much like G2 Sideswipe made a Deep Cover much less likely. At the very least I'd expect to see a few other colours first.

Could go for either Redbee or Hubcap, personally.
The one that would really make me go nuts is G2 Hubcap, but something tells me that's taking things one step too far.

I am very curious to see if they retool this into a cutesy Porsche or Mazda, though. On the one hand you'd expect them too because it's cartoon-accurate, but on the other hand it would really go against the "fully realistic licensed cars" theme they've devoted a lot of energy to. I half-expect them go crazy and try to get cartoon Cliffjumper out of a real-world Porsche (which they could probably do, though I suspect it'd be a fiddly mess).

Denyer
2015-01-11, 05:10 PM
Decided to give Anime Export a shot as well.

zigzagger
2015-01-16, 06:49 PM
In other Masterpiece-related news, Takara's tweaking Exhaust's deco so as not to conflict with Marlboro's trademark.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/mp-23-exhaust-deco-update-181864/

Warcry
2015-01-16, 09:21 PM
If that's all it takes to satisfy the lawyers, I'm pleasantly surprised. It's not much of a change at all, really. Or at least, no more of a change than the original Exhaust deco was from the Diaclone toy.

Hopefully it means US buyers will be able to order the thing now.

Tetsuro
2015-01-17, 02:42 AM
Ironically, Marlboro probably gave Takara better marketing than what they could've dreamed of :p

Knightdramon
2015-01-17, 02:18 PM
Do not mind the difference. His release date has been bumped to March with Star Saber.

zigzagger
2015-02-21, 05:18 AM
Tracks (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/masterpiece-mp-25-tracks-revealed-182160/)!

In prototype stage, mind, but not too shabby, not too shabby at all. The Stingray alt mode is looking quite sexy as well. And I here I thought Takara was going to stick with using the '84 cars for base molds :)

Sades
2015-02-21, 06:57 AM
He's looking a little... uh... "slender", there. Not bad, but seems oddly thin to me.

Knightdramon
2015-02-21, 08:38 AM
Expected, and I'm super excited for him.

Tracks, Sideswipe and Jazz were the three most sought after autobot cars when I was a kid, and it looks like we're 2 out of 3 ready in that regards.

It does look a tad lanky, but it's probably the angle and the fact that his waist is turned.

So I'm guessing the rumours are true for Ironhide later on. According to the rumours, Tracks is supposed to come with a Raoul mini fig and a little Blaster tape deck.

Warcry
2015-02-21, 04:18 PM
Agreed with Sades...Tracks definitely came out a good bit skinnier than his original toy or character model would suggest. I like it, though! Cartoon Tracks probably had the most boring look of all the Autobot cars, and the original toy was really forgettable too compared to the likes of Prowl or Skids or Sideswipe.

I'm a bit surprised by this myself, but I suppose I shouldn't be. Tracks might not be the most popular of the remaining Autobot cars, but GM is easy to work with and the Corvette is probably the most iconic American car ever. Kinda makes me wonder if Windcharger is in the near future, since the Trans Am is pretty high on that list as well.

Denyer
2015-02-21, 06:28 PM
Hopefully they might get a black repaint out of it.

Unicron
2015-02-21, 06:35 PM
Tracks looks better than I would have expected. As noted, a bit thin, but that's probably due to the seemingly accurate alt-mode. As always, more pics shall be good.

Though I have to say I'm a little disappointed the various MP Megatron V2 rumors didn't pan out. Oh well.

Cliffjumper
2015-02-21, 08:34 PM
Like him. Yeh, would have preferred a fraction more mass around the hips, though that might come out when painted (the lower torso is either a bit of a fudge or not snapped together quite right).

Was never crazy about the toy or the character model but that's done a decent job of combining both to come out with something quite servicable. First impressions are he's a lot more anime-styled than the other MPs thus far, which to me isn't a bad thing. Better than a blue Wheeljack with his trousers on backwards at any rate.

I'd be lying if I said Tracks was anywhere near the top of my "next MP wanted" list but I'll go with it.

zigzagger
2015-02-21, 09:05 PM
First impressions are he's a lot more anime-styled than the other MPs thus far, which to me isn't a bad thing.

That's what came to mind, what with the lithe, slightly exaggerated features one may see in a mecha series.

I'd be lying if I said Tracks was anywhere near the top of my "next MP wanted" list but I'll go with it.

Yeah, as far as the '85ers go, I would've liked to have seen Skids first. Though personally, I'm more curious to see what Takara can do with the likes of Hound, Ratchet, or Trailbreaker.

Cliffjumper
2015-02-21, 09:52 PM
Yeh - Skids' original toy is actually quite well proportioned (as are the Datsun and the Lambo) and I can kind-of 'see' the Masterpiece, it's just a matter of articulating, smoothing and detailing, especially as the animation model kept most of the stuff hanging off the back of him. Some of the weirder ones I'm more curious on, especially the ones who were radically changed for the cartoon - though with high optimism after Wheeljack turned out so well.

Tracks could be a smart commercial move, mind - the sort of figure people might skip if they put him out towards the end, more likely to shift while the hype and anticipation is high. Plus there are at least two good repaint options (red and black).

A new Megatron would be nice but I can see why Takara are a little reluctant; the character just doesn't have the commercial draw Prime does, if they keep the gun (which they surely will for MP) the engineering's a nightmare and the repaint possibilites are limited.

Clay
2015-02-21, 11:16 PM
I'm a bit surprised by this myself, but I suppose I shouldn't be. Tracks might not be the most popular of the remaining Autobot cars, but GM is easy to work with and the Corvette is probably the most iconic American car ever.

Keep in mind also that they didn't have any problems licensing the Corvette for Binaltech Tracks, ROTF Sideswipe, or AOE Crosshairs. Given that, Tracks was probably the most likely of the cars to have official blessing.

Tetsuro
2015-02-22, 03:21 PM
A new Megatron would be nice but I can see why Takara are a little reluctant; the character just doesn't have the commercial draw Prime does, if they keep the gun (which they surely will for MP) the engineering's a nightmare and the repaint possibilites are limited.
Well to be honest, what repaints have we gotten out of MP-10 so far? They skipped the obvious Ultra Magnus repaint, the YotD repaint was by Hasbro, and the only other one I can think off the top of my head is the weird Evangelion exclusive.

I would imagine the best repaint oppoturnity for Megatron would be the black Microman version.

Knightdramon
2015-02-22, 05:12 PM
Well to be honest, what repaints have we gotten out of MP-10 so far? They skipped the obvious Ultra Magnus repaint, the YotD repaint was by Hasbro, and the only other one I can think off the top of my head is the weird Evangelion exclusive.

I would imagine the best repaint oppoturnity for Megatron would be the black Microman version.

You're skipping a few.

MP10
Hasbro MP10
Takara MP10 Black
Takara MP10A [that green bape repaint]
Hasbro YOTH
Takara Evangelion

That's plenty of uses out of an already expensive mould. Furthermore, MP10 is being reissued plenty of times throughout, whether it's hasbro or takara or hasbro asia.

I don't think Megatron is that marketable, as it will effectively cut out his Hasbro counterpart.

Denyer
2015-02-22, 06:42 PM
It hasn't held them back before, hasn't prevented a current re-release, and isn't holding back third parties that do relatively small runs. Think it'll happen, but not any time soon.

Clay
2015-02-22, 07:12 PM
You're skipping a few.

MP10
Hasbro MP10
Takara MP10 Black
Takara MP10A [that green bape repaint]
Hasbro YOTH
Takara Evangelion

Yeah, I wasn't even thinking of the actual repaints before you listed those. My thought immediately went to Takara using the mold as-is two or three times now, Hasbro Asia a couple of times, and Hasbro a couple of times now. As it is, MP10 isn't a mold that even needs to be repainted to recoup cost - they just need to periodically re-release it as Convoy because the demand for it seems to be constant.

Cliffjumper
2015-02-22, 07:16 PM
Yup, and MP-10 is only a couple of years old; Takara will probably eventually milk the mould for at least as long as MP-1; I'd wager it'll be kept going as long as MP V2. Prime's got the pull that tweaked variants can sell to casuals on their own merit while also snaring completist maniacs and tidying up on those who missed the last release (personally I missed MP-10 and will happily jump at a normal colour version with, I dunno, a little model of Chip Chase or whatever).

Megatron frankly doesn't, or we'd have seen miscellaneous variants or at least a reissue of the first one at some point between its' first release and the line being revamped. Reckon he'll come out around the time of figures that have "retail" repaint potential (Ratchet/Ironhide, Inferno/Grapple, Trailbreaker/Hoist) so the budget's nice and in the black.

I'd probably bite for a to-scale Megatron with the caveat he'd basically be an Action Master for me so the robot mode had better be good. Would prefer Shockwave or a downsized robot-scale Seeker, though.

Unicron
2015-02-22, 07:48 PM
personally I missed MP-10 and will happily jump at a normal colour version with, I dunno, a little model of Chip Chase or whatever).
Takara is doing a straight re-issue of it in May. Don't think it's going to come with anything new, but tis a good way of getting one for non-stupid prices.
Megatron frankly doesn't, or we'd have seen miscellaneous variants or at least a reissue of the first one at some point between its' first release and the line being revamped.

Well, there was that recent random gold tinted release. Still not sure why they did that.

And as much as I'd like them to have another go at Megatron, hopefully taking more than 2 weeks on it this time, I think I'd actually rather see an MP Galvatron at this point. Magnus needs someone to go toe-to-toe with.

Knightdramon
2015-02-22, 08:59 PM
It hasn't held them back before, hasn't prevented a current re-release, and isn't holding back third parties that do relatively small runs. Think it'll happen, but not any time soon.

Oh there's no denying it will. Thankfully TT appear to not really care how feasible most of their products for the MP line are to the US/rest of the world market and keep on making these sweet things.

It'll be epic and funny if TT releases MP Megatron V2 just in time with their V3 of Prime or whatever :lol:

Lots and I mean LOTS of butthurt for Tracks so far, can't deny I'm a bit saddened by the overall lukewarm response. You'd think after MP Magnus, Exhaust and Star Saber in a row, people would get the hint that TT is not going to focus solely on S1...right? :lol:

What intrigues me about Tracks [in the ONE relatively bad quality pic, yes] is that he's a tad more...stylized than the super retro Prowl and Sideswipe. Wheeljack has some liberties taken, yes, and Bumblebee is a bit on his own league, but Tracks looks even more anime-proportioned than the other bots so far.

Tetsuro
2015-02-23, 04:05 PM
Lots and I mean LOTS of butthurt for Tracks so far
Can't really fathom it. I mean, the 1985 characters can't be that unpopular, plus I'd imagine Jazz is still at least partially sitting in licensing hell. Who else does that leave us with, Sunstreaker? Hoist? Ratchet? Ironhide? Come to think of it, I take that back. But still, he's a pre-movie character, surely that has to count for something, right?

...right? :(

Knightdramon
2015-02-23, 07:22 PM
At this point I think tfw2005 is just tfw2005...

Even when MP V2 Megatron is announced, I'm certain people will moan about it even before any pictures or price is shown.

With Tracks I think the S2 car bots are reaching an end
--Sadly I do not think we'll be seeing Skids, although I hope I'm dead wrong, Hoist pretty much depends on a Trailbreaker coming out, and I don't think Inferno and Hoist are ever coming. Am I forgetting anybody?

Wishful thinking, but if Ironhide and Ratchet are indeed 100% coming, that leaves us with...

Tier 1 [my opinion, obviously]
Jazz
Sunstreaker
Mirage
Hound

Tier 2
Cliffjumper
Trailbreaker
Skids
and any retools that might come from them

And...is that it for the MP cars? That's like a year of releases at maximum...

Warcry
2015-02-23, 07:32 PM
Keep in mind also that they didn't have any problems licensing the Corvette for Binaltech Tracks, ROTF Sideswipe, or AOE Crosshairs. Given that, Tracks was probably the most likely of the cars to have official blessing.
Yeah, eventually I realized that and then it made sense. The existing working relationship probably pushed him up to the front of the list.

Megatron frankly doesn't, or we'd have seen miscellaneous variants or at least a reissue of the first one at some point between its' first release and the line being revamped. Reckon he'll come out around the time of figures that have "retail" repaint potential (Ratchet/Ironhide, Inferno/Grapple, Trailbreaker/Hoist) so the budget's nice and in the black.
The demand for MP Megatron definitely isn't up at the same level as Prime, but I think a good part of that is because, frankly, it's just not very good. The desire for a new-mold Megatron isn't just because of scale issues, but also due to the fact that almost nobody is actually satisfied with the original's look or engineering. It's hard to judge the demand for a new, actually good Megatron toy based on that.

But I think the same problem will hold them back from making a new Megatron, because how do you get a good facsimile of Megatron's character model out of a gun without seriously compromising one or the other?

Can't really fathom it. I mean, the 1985 characters can't be that unpopular, plus I'd imagine Jazz is still at least partially sitting in licensing hell. Who else does that leave us with, Sunstreaker? Hoist? Ratchet? Ironhide? Come to think of it, I take that back. But still, he's a pre-movie character, surely that has to count for something, right?

...right? :(
The people who are mad probably think the only characters who are "real G1" are the ones who showed up in the first episode of the cartoon. Or the entire first season if they're feeling generous.

numbat
2015-02-23, 07:42 PM
Well, I'm excited about MP Tracks - he was a favourite of mine as a kid, and I love Corvettes! :)

I like the design, although the shoulder missile launchers look a bit poor - I do prefer the nice big poseable ones on the Binaltech version. But it's early days anyway!

As to first series G1 characters, there are still quite a few lacking the MP treatment, such as Skyfire.

However, I'm happy to see whatever comes in whatever order. I do prefer characters that turn into real world vehicles (Ultra Magnus was a stretch), but there are exceptions (e.g. Hot Rod or Galvatron). I would have thought the fanbase would include folk who swing both ways though.

Denyer
2015-02-23, 07:50 PM
how do you get a good facsimile of Megatron's character model out of a gun without seriously compromising one or the other?

Seems decent enough to me, although I skew heavily toward robot modes and it remains to be seen what QC is like --

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/1006189-x-transbots-mx-i-apollyon-mp-megatron.html

Warcry
2015-02-23, 10:03 PM
Even when MP V2 Megatron is announced, I'm certain people will moan about it even before any pictures or price is shown.
You know it!

With Tracks I think the S2 car bots are reaching an end
--Sadly I do not think we'll be seeing Skids, although I hope I'm dead wrong, Hoist pretty much depends on a Trailbreaker coming out, and I don't think Inferno and Hoist are ever coming. Am I forgetting anybody?
I don't know why you would necessarily count out Grapple, Hoist, Inferno or Skids. I mean, Takara isn't about to stop making the line while it's still profitable, and even the forgotten Autobot Cars are going to be bigger sellers than pretty much anyone else they could put out in the MP cars' size bracket.

I do think Kup, Blurr, a standalone Hot Rod and maybe Wreck-Gar would be considerations, but after that?

And...is that it for the MP cars? That's like a year of releases at maximum...
Longer than that, surely? To date they've never released more than two new MP car molds in the same year. If Takara really do intend to shut down the line after the most profitable characters are done, they'll milk it for all it's worth and stretch it out for as long as they can.

As to first series G1 characters, there are still quite a few lacking the MP treatment, such as Skyfire.
That's true, but I think size is an issue for some of them. None of the remaining season one characters would fit into the relatively affordable price bracket that the cars occupy. The Dinobots would all be the size of Grimlock and MP-10, as would Shockwave and Skyfire. The Minibots, Insecticons and Reflector would all be smaller, and so far Takara's been pretty leery of small MPs (Bumblebee being the sole exception, since the cassettes are basically accessories). And the Constructicons would be a fairly monumental undertaking, since whether they were sold individually or not you'd have to design all six at once.

Which isn't to say that they won't make at least some of those characters, but they've wisely spread out the big, expensive figures and limited them to one or two per year. Shockwave, Skyfire, Slag, Sludge, Snarl, Swoop and the Constructicons would be three or four years' worth of "big MP" product all by themselves if Takara actually decided to do them all. And all the while they'd need something to fill out the rest of the line, which I think is where people start to get a bit antsy.

Seems decent enough to me, although I skew heavily toward robot modes and it remains to be seen what QC is like --

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/1006189-x-transbots-mx-i-apollyon-mp-megatron.html
That's a good Megatron, don't get me wrong. And it's a big improvement on the looks of Takara's attempt. But it's still a long ways off from the "cartoon robot turns into the real-world alt-mode" feel that the MPs go for. The robot mode is pretty close, but the lower legs are messy and the upper arms are different from the boxy character design. And the gun mode has terrible proportions and doesn't look a thing like a Walther P-38. If this was an attempt at a Generations-style Megatron I'd call it a rousing success, but it misses the mark on the 80s accuracy that Masterpiece designs strive for.

The thing is, I don't actually see Takara even getting something this good. The only reason Apollyon's robot mode looks so good is because they didn't worry about making the gun look right. Judging by both the original and the MP, a P-38 just doesn't have enough mass in it to make a blocky robot like Megatron.

Knightdramon
2015-02-23, 10:19 PM
I don't know why you would necessarily count out Grapple, Hoist, Inferno or Skids. I mean, Takara isn't about to stop making the line while it's still profitable, and even the forgotten Autobot Cars are going to be bigger sellers than pretty much anyone else they could put out in the MP cars' size bracket.

I do think Kup, Blurr, a standalone Hot Rod and maybe Wreck-Gar would be considerations, but after that?

My reasoning [which has been backed up by a number of designer interviews] is that with the exception of Bumblebee, all the cars so far are riding on their brand awareness and popularity in regards to their car maker more than their actual strength as characters.

Hasui [the lead designer, MP10 to MP21] had said that Sideswipe, Prowl and Wheeljack were given the greenlight because their cars are [and I quote] "supercars", and that he was kind of worried about Wheeljack because he was neither an A-lister nor exactly your flavour of heroic autobot. Tracks certainly follows that notion, with his 80ies muscle car form.

Sadly, neither Inferno nor Grapple fit in that category, plus, to keep in scale with the rest, they'd have to be in a bigger pricepoint category than Sideswipe. Which sadly, are points against them as even between them they'd have to be remoulded and retooled enough.

Skids is not a supercar either, but he can fit in the smaller pricepoint of the other cars and has one repaint ready and out of the gate with the only real difference being the headsculpt.

Trailbreaker is going to be the real dealbreaker though. I figure that the rumoured Ironhide is going to be a testbed for this, not so much for engineering, but for testing the waters for a totally not sexy and sleek car that will have to go for a higher pricepoint than the cars. If Ironhide [and by extension, Ratchet] sell well enough then I believe we might see Trailbreaker, and then, as a chain, we *might* see Inferno.

Pure speculation on my part based on interviews and general release attitude so far. TT seems to be pushing the obligatory repaint with every new car mould hard enough [Exhaust, G2 Bumble, the rumoured Road Rage Tracks repaint], so in that sense, I see the line going a bit more Binaltech on us than expected.

Denyer
2015-02-23, 11:24 PM
Is there much evidence these are selling to car fans substantially rather than primarily TF fans?

a P-38 just doesn't have enough mass in it to make a blocky robot like Megatron.
Nah, it doesn't. But they're already fudging real-world modes with Magnus, so at some point I assume the money on the table will call loudly enough.

Cliffjumper
2015-02-23, 11:52 PM
Not sure why scale would hinder Inferno/Grapple... Takara seem to be aiming for robot mode scale more than alt mode scale, I'm not sure any of the MP cars so far have been quite to scale - like the G1 originals they're just close enough to not look really weird on a shelf. Heck, Soundwave wasn't to scale. Inferno & Grapple would only need to be a head - if that - taller than the rest. Their big trouble will be whether to go for realistic alt modes or just have a big pair of robot arms on the back a la the originals.

Alt mode desirability might see the likes of Tracks shoved up the order to get some money in but I seriously doubt a character like Ironhide is going to be skipped over just because he turns into an eggbox on wheels. It actually wouldn't surprise me if Tracks has been bumped up to take advantage of the presumably still extant deal with GM, which would obviously save money over working out a fresh deal with - say - Toyota for Trailbreaker so soon after they've sprung to pay Fiat/Lancia for Wheeljack.

numbat
2015-02-24, 09:29 AM

I'd love to see all of the above, and Trailbreaker, but suspect that the larger chaps may be unlikely as they'd be either out of scale in vehicle mode or out of scale in robot mode, while also probably being a new size inbetween the MP cars and MP-10. There may not be the market for them, as they're minor characters, plus their vehicle modes don't have the selling point that cool branded cars do (additional market - model car collectors or fans of particular vehicles may pick up a version that turns into a robot as a novelty at the least?). But who knows?

That's true, but I think size is an issue for some of them. None of the remaining season one characters would fit into the relatively affordable price bracket that the cars occupy. The Dinobots would all be the size of Grimlock and MP-10, as would Shockwave and Skyfire. The Minibots, Insecticons and Reflector would all be smaller, and so far Takara's been pretty leery of small MPs (Bumblebee being the sole exception, since the cassettes are basically accessories). And the Constructicons would be a fairly monumental undertaking, since whether they were sold individually or not you'd have to design all six at once.
Yup, you're probably right - but what about Sunstreaker? I'd really love a Masterpiece Sunstreaker. And they've already put out a Lamborghini Countach...

And I do really want an MP Megatron in the same scale as MP-10... I don't care if he turns into a gun or a tank.

Warcry
2015-02-24, 04:20 PM
My reasoning [which has been backed up by a number of designer interviews] is that with the exception of Bumblebee, all the cars so far are riding on their brand awareness and popularity in regards to their car maker more than their actual strength as characters.
That definitely is the approach with the first few molds (I would even include Bumblebee in that -- the Beetle isn't a "supercar" by any means but it's highly recognizable all the same), and it makes sense to do that. When you're launching a new line and you're not sure if it will work out or not, you give yourself every advantage that you can. Picking and choosing the Autobot cars with the coolest alt-modes you can get licences for is the smart thing to do.

But now the line is a roaring success, and they're not far away from running out of well-known alt-modes to make. Jazz, Sunstreaker and Windcharger are probably the top three left after Tracks, with Mirage and Hound being more recognizable by vehicle type than make and model and absolutely nobody caring about model Oneboxes, Hiluxes, whatever Skids is, etc. Once those sure things are used up, they'll have to choose between calling it quits on new molds or moving on to riskier items. And as long as the line remains profitable, I can't see them ending it without at least giving the weaker alt-modes a solid try.

Now, it's entirely possible that the model car enthusiast is a bigger part of the Japanese customer base than most of us think. If that's the case, then when they make Ironhide or Trailbreaker they'll be flops and that will be the end of that. But if they're a success, they'll absolutely keep going, eventually getting to guys like Brawn and Inferno and Gears with their fudged (or entirely made-up) vehicle modes until it's not worth their while to do so. Whether it actually gets that far or not, who knows? But it's a solid possibility.

Inferno & Grapple would only need to be a head - if that - taller than the rest. Their big trouble will be whether to go for realistic alt modes or just have a big pair of robot arms on the back a la the originals.
I'd imagine they'd go for something like the cartoon, where the arms were clearly still there but they made a perfunctory attempt to make them look like a part of the vehicle.

Yup, you're probably right - but what about Sunstreaker? I'd really love a Masterpiece Sunstreaker. And they've already put out a Lamborghini Countach...
I was going on the assumption that all the '84 cars are going to see a release no matter what, so I wasn't counting them.

And I do really want an MP Megatron in the same scale as MP-10... I don't care if he turns into a gun or a tank.
I would love an MP G2 Megatron personally, but since Japan only got the tiny purple one I don't think the odds of it are very good. :(

numbat
2015-02-24, 04:58 PM
But if they're a success, they'll absolutely keep going, eventually getting to guys like Brawn and Inferno and Gears with their fudged (or entirely made-up) vehicle modes until it's not worth their while to do so.

G1 Brawn:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg278/tunnelweb/Larry4.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg278/tunnelweb/IMGP5178s.jpg

Pretty sure G1 Brawn was meant to be a Land Rover Defender. They're not made up (they cause too much heartache for that...). Sadly the new models (which will also be the last, as production stops this year) are terrible - my 2013 Defender is on its third engine (the second engine only did 1,650 miles!). For a vehicle you take to really remote locations, reliability is quite important and risk of unexpected and total engine failure is an issue... That's why I am, with a heavy heart, moving away from Defenders (and any Land Rover) for my professional off-roading needs. (The old ones are great though - I've taken Defenders older than Jurassic Park up to the tops of mountains for work (on their original engines).)

I would love an MP G2 Megatron personally, but since Japan only got the tiny purple one I don't think the odds of it are very good. :(
I had him as Archforce - he was a neat figure for his time. :)

Cliffjumper
2015-02-24, 05:49 PM
Pretty sure the Wakinerds did decree that while Brawn uses elements of the Defender he actually draws bits from several models (cf. Huffer and Gears). So don't say otherwise or either we'll have one of the bastards in here boldfacing and italicing all over the place or you'll get added to the stack of twattery that is their page on common misconceptions people who don't spend all day reading and editing the Transformers Wiki have about Transformers. That said, the Miserable Three all had original alt modes which weren't really superdeformed; I don't think them not being real vehicles will put Takara or buyers off if the MP Minibot concept has legs.

Regarding the alt modes I'm skeptical it's going to be sportscars only. It makes sense to launch the line with the sexiest cars because that shows off what MP does that, say, Classics or BT didn't - nice licensed vintage alt modes. But BT started out with a modern sports saloon ethos and ended up slinging out the Scion once they got going. I don't think Lambo fans are a big part of the audience. Genuine question - was MP-10 licenced?

The licensing is there because Takara want to do G1-accurate alt modes. They can't do what they did in 1982 and just sling out a model Countach now because they'd get sued to ****ery (as Marlboro have already shown. I doubt the licence cost is particularly crippling because you can get licenced diecast toy cars for two, three quid still.

Have I missed something about an announcement about the alt modes being in scale? Because I'm pretty sure they're already not quite there in the same way the G1 cars weren't in scale. Genuinely think they're going for robot mode scale based on the G1 cartoon (so Hound will probably be about the same height as everyone else rather than much shorter).

numbat
2015-02-24, 06:05 PM
Pretty sure the Wakinerds did decree that while Brawn uses elements of the Defender he actually draws bits from several models (cf. Huffer and Gears). So don't say otherwise or either we'll have one of the bastards in here boldfacing and italicing all over the place or you'll get added to the stack of twattery that is their page on common misconceptions people who don't spend all day reading and editing the Transformers Wiki have about Transformers.
Well, Jeep and Mercedes totally ripped off the Land Rover design back when that was totally legal, so I could see Brawn being considered to be based on any one or a mixture of them all I guess. (The great irony is that both Jeep and Land Rover have progressed 'their' design over the years, while Land Rover are stuck in the past with the exception of cutting corners now to save on costs...)

I don't spend enough time looking at Transformers websites to be aware of any official decision or 'twattery'. ;)

This is the only site I tend to visit, because I like you guys. :swirly:

So happy to be corrected.

I don't think the vehicle modes are meant to be in exact scale, as they don't seem to be. But I think that Takara are trying for them to look ok together, while having the robot modes look right too. I can see that being a problem for some of the Minibots and characters like Inferno.

Warcry
2015-02-24, 07:30 PM
Pretty sure G1 Brawn was meant to be a Land Rover Defender.
He's got elements of one, but he's not a full-on reproduction of one the way the bigger cars were. He's closer to what we get in the Generations line nowadays, a vehicle that looks a lot like a real-world car but isn't an exact copy.

I had him as Archforce - he was a neat figure for his time. :)
It was a very good mold for its day, for sure, but it had no significant media appearances. And the bigger green-and-purple one is associated with a random Beast Wars guy in Japan, so I don't know that there'd be any interest in one of those from Takara.

Have I missed something about an announcement about the alt modes being in scale?
Probably all you'd need to do is look at Bumblebee alongside the others to kill any idea of the vehicle modes being in scale. In real life a Beetle is over 90% as long as a Datsun, while the MP is quite a bit smaller than that I think.

Knightdramon
2015-02-24, 07:33 PM
Is there much evidence these are selling to car fans substantially rather than primarily TF fans?

Not really, I think it's more a case of "let's make this attractive to as wide a circle of customers as possible". I don't think transformers as a franchise/toyline is as hot in Japan as it is in the US, especially when compared to Gundam which pretty much dominates the market.

That was very apparent on takara's epic fail of Prime AM figures, unpainted, crappy stickers, not assembled minicons for "mix n match" fun.

As far as I know, MP10 was not licensed [and by extension, neither is Magnus]. The only licensed bots are the cars, which are unofficially part of takara's "real car MP series"--quoted like that on various interviews.

I don't think that the BT series was as successful [in hindsight] as takara backed themselves up in a corner and put the stick up their own a$$es. The strict 1:24 scale meant they could never do anything larger than a car [besides the GT10 RAM mould], and the costs were supposedly so prohibitive they had to pretty much repaint everything at least once.

The repaint thing is becoming more and more apparent with the MP cars, but at least the scale issue is taken care of now. For now.

Cliffjumper
2015-02-24, 08:18 PM
My reading of the Japanese market is they're interested in the first two seasons of G1 and maaaybe the Movie, the live action films and basically nothing else... things like Arms Micron, Kiss Players etc. are just desperate attempts to try and expand the brand to more than Optimus and 'bee.

MP seems like a hands-up "okay, okay, fine" gesture with maybe an eye on claiming a stake of the high-quality robot market; how many SoCs do people buy when not really giving a toss about the associated media? I watched about three episodes each of Voltes V and Daimos, did my head in. Cool robots, though.

But then Takara just do seem to do mad things; things like putting out a whole bunch of Asian-exclusive DOTM figures was something we all thought was impossible until it actually happened.

With regards to MP, I don't think the licensing is prohibitive for most of the cars. We're not even talking much in the way of genuine prestige brands, they don't need licenses from Ferrari or Bentley. Sheikhs don't drive Porsches, guys who've had a good couple of hours on the stocks drive Porsches. Lamborghini's been sold more times than the BT Subaru mould. Ligier's a two-bit concept operation. The rest are common-or-garden Japanese roadcar manufacturers. If it cost too much I doubt they would have started and we certainly wouldn't have had some of the weird shit that came out towards the end of BT.

Clay
2015-02-25, 02:38 AM
Yeah, it never struck me that the licensing fee was the difficult part but rather the licensing permission.

As far as painting themselves into a corner with Binaltech's large scale, I don't think that was in-and-of itself the problem. The figures worked and the details were distinguishable, and the line seemed to hum right along so much as they had 'bots with car modes to work with. The occasional esoteric choice like Grimlock and Shockwave seemed pretty welcome at the time too. I think it was the reluctance to do other characters that are cars anyway (like the Stunticons, nevermind the combining) that led them to the oddball repaint stuff (Swerve!) to fill the gap.

I will say the 1:24 scale precluded a lot of other vehicles (planes, tanks, etc.), but they didn't necessarily have to stick with that scale for other things. They could have just started Binaltech: Air Division and made 1:60 aircraft and Binaltech: Military for larger trucks and tanks at 1:48.

Of course they did try to start over with a smaller scale for the Alternity figures, but those petered out much more quickly (the erratic release schedule probably didn't help).

Knightdramon
2015-03-03, 06:21 PM
Tracks in [mostly] full colour (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/new-color-image-of-mp-25-masterpiece-tracks-182205/).

The rumours about Raoul and Blaster were true, and there's also a flightstand.

VERY neat, guys.

Cliffjumper
2015-03-03, 07:05 PM
Like it! Bit of stylising but still unmistakably a Transformer. Feet are a bit weird but that might just be the angle/pose. Upper torso and general posture ARE Tracks.

inflatable dalek
2015-03-03, 08:26 PM
Looks pretty neat, I'm not a huge Tracks fan so I think this will be one I can pass, but it's still very well done.

I am currently torn between getting MP Ultra Magnus or the Generations IDW version. Honestly, you wait ages for a good Magnus toy and then two come along at once.

Knightdramon
2015-03-03, 09:30 PM
Looks pretty neat, I'm not a huge Tracks fan so I think this will be one I can pass, but it's still very well done.

I am currently torn between getting MP Ultra Magnus or the Generations IDW version. Honestly, you wait ages for a good Magnus toy and then two come along at once.

My sister's considering getting the Gen version. I already have the MP version...if you're willing to wait, I can give you pros and cons before telling you to buy the MP one.

Or you could just buy the MP one now and thank me later :lol:

Unicron
2015-03-03, 09:47 PM
Why not both?
Probably said it somewhere before, but MP Magnus is everything I'd want in a Magnus. As a result, for the foreseeable future I can't see adding another Magnus to my collection, unless it's particularly bitchin' (or I can track down one of those Super Deformed statues with the broken matrix). While I kind of like IDW Magnus and the inclusion of Minimus, what I've seen of the figure doesn't impress me enough. There was a 'cheapness' to the pictures I've seen, but that may have been from being a test shot or whatever.

Knightdramon
2015-03-04, 04:46 PM
Rumours have it that Tracks is NOT mp25, mp25 is coming in September, and there's two sports cars in October and November.

Australian Toyfair source.
EDIT: And being Australian toyfair, this rumour quickly turned out to be MP Wheeljack and Bumblebee, australian releases.

So still on track for Tracks and MP26 as usual.

Clay
2015-03-10, 07:55 PM
Email from BBTS:

Hello,

We regretfully must announce that all preorders for the Takara MP-23 Exhaust have been cancelled. There has been an ongoing legal problem with this figure due to trademarked Marlboro roof/hood design that is not approved for sale in the USA. Takara modified the original design and went into production using a modified paint deco. It appears the redesigned paint deco did not go far enough to fix the problem, and Phillip Morris USA will still not allow this item for sale in the USA. We have been in contact with the law firm representing Phillip Morris and they told us that the changes were not substantial enough to eliminate potential consumer confusion between the Marlboro trademarked design and the current paint deco on the MP-23 Exhaust.

We apologize for the problem on this item, but we must abide by the requests made by Phillip Morris. We look forward to less complicated future Takara Transformer releases.

Sincerely,

Joel Boblit
BigBadToyStore

Knightdramon
2015-03-10, 08:13 PM
Nothing from HLJ so far...and hopefully will stay that way.

Not to sound too spiteful, but I'm getting great amusement from this situation---the same dudes that were decrying that this is getting a precious MP slot from their hands forever and should not deserve to be in the line are now going to claw each other's eyes out for a copy of this soon to be overpriced release.

I just wish I had ordered more than 1 so I could potentially help some of you guys out. My best bet, if you want to get one, would be to watch over HLJ's page if they bring the listing up on release.

Ryan F
2015-03-10, 08:16 PM
Yeah, a lot of retailers are either not carrying this, or refusing to sell to US addresses. Fortunately I've got one on pre-order; fingers crossed it still arrives.

Nothing from HLJ so far...and hopefully will stay that way.

Not to sound too spiteful, but I'm getting great amusement from this situation---the same dudes that were decrying that this is getting a precious MP slot from their hands forever and should not deserve to be in the line are now going to claw each other's eyes out for a copy of this soon to be overpriced release.

I just wish I had ordered more than 1 so I could potentially help some of you guys out. My best bet, if you want to get one, would be to watch over HLJ's page if they bring the listing up on release.

Apparently Philip Morris is even cracking down on eBay listings, so other than trading via forums I'm not sure exactly what form the aftermarket is likely to take here.

You'd think he'd have better things to do, like hoard missing episodes or something.

Clay
2015-03-10, 08:24 PM
The big hurdle seems to be importing it to the US en masse which is where the US-based retailers are getting stuck. The thing we don't know is what other US-based retailers have also gotten a cease & desist from Phillip Morris and whether they plan to honor their preorders in a hush-hush way.

Regardless, it seems he'll be released in Japan just fine, so there's that. Acquiring one outside of Japan now will be the challenge.

And I liked Exhaust before it was cool. :o

numbat
2015-03-10, 08:24 PM
Not heard anything from Robot kingdom but I don't live in the US anyway. I know they state they won't ship Exhaust to the US...

After all, Marlboro wouldn't want to be associated with a fictional character that might kill people - that would presumably put a negative spin on their products.

;)

Clay
2015-03-10, 08:27 PM
Knock on wood that they can ship to Scotland!

Skyquake87
2015-03-10, 10:10 PM
hmm...listing's now curiously absent from Kapow's website too...

Notabot
2015-03-10, 10:41 PM
Don't know if this point has been made before, but I'm pretty sure that Marlboro could get in big trouble if their brand appears on anything like a toy. Tobacco laws forbid marketing to children in any way. I'm guessing that's why they're taking such interest here.

Cliffjumper
2015-03-10, 11:16 PM
Yeh, I think it's certainly part of the reason behind their zeal. TBH I'm not entirely sure I disagree even if they're not being altruistic exactly (i.e. they're trying to stop any further negative attention for themselves in an increasingly under-pressure industry - not so far fetched after what happened with Spastic, after all); you've got to wonder what Takara are doing releasing what - however you dress it up - is a toy covered in cigarette advertising.

What's amazing is that Takara haven't just pulled the release as more hassle than it's worth. And after they went to all the effort of asking Lancia if it was okay thirty years after they swiped the Stratos too.

Clay
2015-03-11, 01:49 AM
Yeah, Phillip Morris don't really have a choice in the matter. It's part of the anti-tobacco lawsuit from the late 1990s that they have to keep their product imagery away from kids' stuff, IIRC.

In fact, they're actually kind of the victims as they legally have to deny some collectors (who may also be customers of theirs) what they want at their own counsel's cost all because Takara didn't run it by them first. That said, the release seems to be just fine within Japan, so Takara may not care... but it's still their fault for not finding out if this was a good idea or not in advance (and that they changed the deco seems to indicate that they may be susceptible to some repercussions).

numbat
2015-03-11, 11:20 AM
Knock on wood that they can ship to Scotland!
I've just had an e-mail from Robotkingdom saying the exclusive coin has been cancelled. They say that the now coinless Exhaust will ship end of March, so I'm hopeful delivery will be made. :)

Clay
2015-03-11, 12:46 PM
Yep, I just got the same email to which I very quickly replied that I still wanted it, coin or no. Here's hoping everything goes through okay.

zigzagger
2015-03-11, 07:17 PM
Nothing new really, just some clearer, colored frontal view images of Tracks (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/new-mp-25-masterpiece-tracks-photos-182260/) (rather than from an angle), along with his accessories.

Appears to be a teensy bit more fuller than initially assumed. Not that I was ever bothered by the prospect of slimmer Tracks, but still...

Knightdramon
2015-03-11, 07:27 PM
Up at HLJ. 6000 yen with the discount, a tad more expensive than Exhaust.

Ryan F
2015-03-13, 02:03 PM
What's amazing is that Takara haven't just pulled the release as more hassle than it's worth. And after they went to all the effort of asking Lancia if it was okay thirty years after they swiped the Stratos too.

Well, the MP line's primary market is Japan - although they must get a lot of sales in the rest of the world, that's the primary market.

I really don't think Takara really care about a few lost sales in the US or SE Asia or wherever - so long as it sells well in the home country and helps defray the cost of the Wheeljack mould and Lancia licence, then all is well in their eyes.

Clay
2015-03-13, 02:50 PM
Well, the MP line's primary market is Japan - although they must get a lot of sales in the rest of the world, that's the primary market.

I really don't think Takara really care about a few lost sales in the US or SE Asia or wherever - so long as it sells well in the home country and helps defray the cost of the Wheeljack mould and Lancia licence, then all is well in their eyes.

See, I dunno. While they can do whatever they want with Exhaust in Japan full stop, I think it's telling how much of a market outside of Japan that they cater to by evidence that they modified the deco to try to appease the legal situation in the US. I agree that Japan is the primary market, but exports of the line must be substantial for them to alter the product. However, all of the above assumes that the deco was modified to be sold internationally instead of trying not to infringe on the copyrights held by a Japanese subsidiary of Phillip Morris, which would also completely explain things. Until the next round of designer interviews, I guess we're in the dark.

Serious question, though: does Phillip Morris sell Marlboro in Japan or have any legal presence there? I have no earthly idea.

Ryan F
2015-03-13, 04:50 PM
Well that's the thing: did they alter the deco to avoid infringement in the rest of the world, or did they do it to get by in Japan?

Given that the change in deco has had zero impact on it's availability in other countries, I just assumed the change was so that it could get a Japanese release.

I mean, why bother making the change otherwise, if it makes no difference for US buyers anyway?

Notabot
2015-03-13, 07:27 PM
When they changed it, they assumed that it would make a difference for US buyers, though, so I think that market had a good deal to do with it. But, like Clay, I'm curious if Phillip Morris has any presence in Japan, and if they have any of the legal limitations/qualms there that they do here.

Cliffjumper
2015-03-13, 08:10 PM
Serious question, though: does Phillip Morris sell Marlboro in Japan or have any legal presence there? I have no earthly idea.

I think it's a niche brand over there certainly (imported cig brands tend to be in any country) but Google does bring up licensees. It might be more of a legal thing, however; maybe realistic decos on toys are some version of fair use in Japanese law?

The curious thing is that Marlboro have always had a strong feeling of branding long before Takara even said "hey, let's have these robot things turn into cars" and were probably enforcing this sort of thing when the original Diaclone came out.

inflatable dalek
2015-03-14, 03:19 PM
To be frank, if Philip Morris is wasting his time on suing people using cigarette branding inappropriately it's no wonder his efforts to find missing episodes haven't born any fruit since Web and Enemy.

One for the Doctor Who fans there.

Knightdramon
2015-03-14, 08:02 PM
Just to keep in mind folks...

6UsHHOCH4q8

Just to get a sense of scale at what tobacco companies can and have gone after, and how tiny and insignificant Takara's Exhaust can be.

I'm pretty sure this will go down in history right next to MP01 and Binaltech Smokescreen in terms of rich history and fame for the brand :lol:

Skyquake87
2015-03-14, 09:40 PM
This kind of legal brow beating is what makes the current Transatlantic Trade And Investment Partnership such a concern.

Its currently being debated behind closed doors and would basically give large multinational companies the right to sue any country whose laws they don't agree with as it would hinder their business. The ramifications of this are a big worry because no one knows how far reaching and damaging this could be.

You might want to ask your local MP about this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/transatlantic-trade-and-investment-partnership-ttip

I've decided b*ll*cks to Exhaust. Its not worth the effort and spent my money elsewhere.

Cliffjumper
2015-03-14, 10:03 PM
Same here, pretty much. Not sure I can stand the gouging and possible hassle; hopefully some of the Chinese lads will get a version out. Kind-of wanted him for the old Diaclone resonance, Decepticon factor and because the Wheeljack mould's nice enough to justify two but TBH if a figure has to get tied up in legal tape a filler retool based on a chap who isn't a proper Transformer is an acceptable casualty.

Mirage they should be alright on as the Gitanes scheme is less recognisable. Might have to leave off the gypsy, but hopefully they'll just leave it blank and wink at Reprolabels rather than replacing her with a silhouette of Thunderblast sucking off Derrick Wyatt or whatever.

Jazz could well be interesting, though, but TBH if Martini play ball there won't be the same "WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!?!?!" stuff because alcohol doesn't harm anyone's health. I'm guessing the fudged reissues were good enough to avoid problems.

Knightdramon
2015-03-15, 03:58 PM
My HLJ order still seems to be fine...now if retroactively they impose a limit on where they ship, that's a different story. Won't be too fussed either way.

Don't think they'll have an issue with Jazz's martini sponsors---they can just leave them out or have it spell marteeny or something [that'd be hilarious]. Problem with Exhaust's deco is that if you leave the "livery" out it's just a white lancia with a fancy head.

As far as I'm concerned, he'll probably go on the same shelf the inevitable Road Rage from Tracks will go---diaclone homages.

Knightdramon
2015-03-19, 09:55 PM
Exhaust paid for and in my HLJ pile of the loot. :up:

Star Saber too.

Warcry
2015-03-20, 01:23 AM
Mirage they should be alright on as the Gitanes scheme is less recognisable. Might have to leave off the gypsy, but hopefully they'll just leave it blank and wink at Reprolabels rather than replacing her with a silhouette of Thunderblast sucking off Derrick Wyatt or whatever.
I wonder if they'd even bother trying to replicate the real-life livery on Mirage. If they go with "Citanes" and leave the logo off, there's very little to jump out and say "Tobacco Company". Whereas even with the Marlboro wordmark stripped off entirely, Exhaust is clearly based on their logo.

I kind of expect them to tart it up with in-jokey sponsors like they did with Smokescreen, though.

Exhaust paid for and in my HLJ pile of the loot. :up:
Paid for mine today as well! Very much looking forward to him, though I think at least half of my excitement is driven by spite.

Ryan F
2015-03-22, 10:57 PM
Lo and behold, Transbridge Omegalock (or whatever they're called this week) have sent me an email tonight cancelling my Exhaust pre-order.

Now of course it's far too late to get it from anywhere else, HLJ, Robot Kingdom, AmiAmi, Chimungmung etc. no listings anywhere. Aaaargh!

And I had a preorder in as soon as the toy was announced, I'm not one of these 'only after it because it's rare' people. Grrr!

To cap it all, Omegalock haven't even offered me a refund, they are brazenly trying to give the cash back to me as store credit. WTF?!!??? I'm going to give them a piece of my mind, let me tell you.

In the end I decided to get from amazon.jp using one of those mail-forwarding services that seem to have popped up.

As amazon.jp don't allow international shipping on toys, you just get it shipped to a middle-man, who will then forward it on to you.

It's a bit of a faff, and I'll probably get stung for customs now, but as far as I can see it's the only way to get this bloody thing (if they have copies for sale at AA I will be fuming)!!!

Never used a forwarding service before, so I hope they don't rip me off and steal my toy! I went for biginjap.com in the end, they had some good online reviews.

But man, Omegalock are going to get an earful tomorrow!!!!

Sorry for the rant!

Knightdramon
2015-03-23, 06:50 PM
So I'm guessing something similar might happen with Kapow and/or Masterforce.

NipponYassan have Exhaust available, but for 16.000 yen. Almost guaranteed to fly by customs in the UK [used them before, the guy in charge is French I think so he knows about customs in EU].

You could and should get a direct refund from omegalock. Sorry to hear about this. Had I know of this whole fiasco early on, I'd get more than one from HLJ.

Ryan F
2015-03-23, 07:28 PM
So I'm guessing something similar might happen with Kapow and/or Masterforce.

NipponYassan have Exhaust available, but for 16.000 yen. Almost guaranteed to fly by customs in the UK [used them before, the guy in charge is French I think so he knows about customs in EU].

You could and should get a direct refund from omegalock. Sorry to hear about this. Had I know of this whole fiasco early on, I'd get more than one from HLJ.

Neither Kapow nor Masterforce were listing Exhaust - I know Kapow got a 'cease and desist' from Philip Morris and so weren't able to carry it. Omegalock, as far as I'm aware, were the only UK dealer who had it up for preorder.

Cheers for the tip about NipponYassan, I might give them a go in future.

It just irks me that we knew weeks ago that Hasbro Asia were unable to sell the figure, and that Takara in Japan were the only distributors (hence this being the only Masterpiece for a while not to have a free coin, which is usually a Hasbro Asia exclusive).

Omegalock's explanation was that they had ordered a supply from Hasbro Asia which never materialised. But if that was the case, why wait until March 22nd (the day after release) to let people know?

Knightdramon
2015-03-24, 07:49 PM
New photos of Tracks from a magazine http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1031676-masterpiece-tracks-289.html

on that page.

Funny how all the nay-sayers just evaporated into thin air.

I don't like the gray used, personally. It's almost 100% match for the test-shot gray :lol:

Denyer
2015-03-24, 08:01 PM
Flying car thing's cool, but still not tossed about waiting to see if there's a black version with a faceplate. Could end up with both of course...

Knightdramon
2015-03-24, 09:06 PM
As with all the other cars, they'll milk it for what it's worth.

I'm guessing---Red Road Rage repaint ASAP after release [would not be surprised if it has its own unique number and ends up as a November release]

Black repaint---possibly for next year's Tokyo Toy Show, following on the footsteps of Tigertracks and Silverstreak. This year's TT exclusive *might* be Bluestreak.

And still not sure, but...yellow repaint? Because yellow corvettes are always in? Also, BT06 homage?

Denyer
2015-03-24, 09:12 PM
Not going to be out by AA is it?

inflatable dalek
2015-03-24, 09:26 PM
One thought I was thinking the other day: So far every MP repaint based on a Diaclone character scheme has had a separate name attatched to it, it's not been Yellow Sideswipe or Marlboro Wheeljack (luckily as it's turned out), they've made the effort even when there wasn't already an appropriate Ehobby reissue alternative. Makes me wonder what they'll come up with for the inevitable Diaclone Magnus.

Skyquake87
2015-03-24, 10:24 PM
I would so go for a Diaclone Magnus. The colours on that thing are gorgeous. IIRC, those little uPVC figurines that were hot for 5 minutes in 2004 had him listed as Ironhide.

Warcry
2015-03-24, 10:26 PM
I would also be tempted by a Diaclone Magnus, though my ideal would be a toy-coloured version.

One thought I was thinking the other day: So far every MP repaint based on a Diaclone character scheme has had a separate name attatched to it, it's not been Yellow Sideswipe or Marlboro Wheeljack (luckily as it's turned out), they've made the effort even when there wasn't already an appropriate Ehobby reissue alternative. Makes me wonder what they'll come up with for the inevitable Diaclone Magnus.
G2 Sideswipe proved that they're not afraid to reference Western comics, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them go with Delta Magnus.

Knightdramon
2015-03-25, 07:43 PM
Yeah, going for either Delta Magnus or Diaclone Convoy. Diakron Convoy maybe, to make it "sound" like a new guy? :lol:

Unicron
2015-03-26, 11:21 AM
Blue Bluestreak mother****ers! (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/takara-reveals-mp-18b-bluestreak-182355/)

Warcry
2015-03-26, 01:43 PM
My love for Blue Bluestreak is well-known by this point, so obviously I love it. In fact, it's one of the most beautiful Transformers I've ever seen! What could possibly stand in the way of me getting it?

According to the web page, it looks like this will be a limited release of about 2,000 and available in Japan, likely as a web or other type of exclusive, so it may be one of the more difficult pieces to obtain.
Oh, right. That. What the ****, Takara?

No, seriously, why would you do that? Foreigners have been frothing at the mouth with demand for this deco for years. You'd think they'd want to profit from that instead of making just enough to make the Diaclone fiends inside Japan happy, and not much else.

Oh well. I guess sketchy Chinese bootleggers will get my money instead.

Unicron
2015-03-26, 02:26 PM
Yeah, that limited release thing really kills my interest in it. It's a sweet looking deco, but not enough for me to go through the hassle of tracking one down when they're that limited.

numbat
2015-03-26, 02:36 PM
Man, I'd really love to get that, but wouldn't pay over the odds. I guess I'll wait and see what pre-order prices are like if it appears at Robotkingdom or something.

Unicron
2015-03-26, 02:49 PM
BBTS is offering preorders for it at $80 right now.
Speculation is the 2000 number is for some TakaraTomy Mall thing in Japan, while it'll get a more regular release in Asia. No idea if that's true or where that theory came from though

EDIT: And now listed on Robotkingdom (http://www.robotkingdom.com/tftrmp18b.html). Showing at $60. Not bad

Knightdramon
2015-03-26, 06:55 PM
No sweat. I'll wait for a Kapow/Masterforce preorder for this one, as it appears it won't be a regular release carried by HLJ/NY.

Neat repaint of Prowl without lightbar [this is not Streak's head].

Denyer
2015-03-26, 07:17 PM
It's inevitably going to be bootlegged, the moulds are already out there for the Datsun.

I do really like the deco, enough to double dip on an official release -- and cheers for the RK tips all. Dealt with them before, and will give this a punt.

numbat
2015-03-26, 07:41 PM
Yay! Ordered from Robotkingdom. I've got more Transformers from them than any other online store and they've always been very good (great customer service too).

Yup, very excited about this guy - I really did not expect an awesome blue version after the previous exclusive release was just pure silver.

:clap:

Skyquake87
2015-03-26, 11:12 PM
Cool. I like Bluestreak, he's my favourite Autobot. Wasn't bothered by the standard version, but in Diaclone colours? Yes please :)

Put in an order with Robot Kingdom on your recommendation numbat :)

Warcry
2015-03-27, 04:20 AM
Speculation is the 2000 number is for some TakaraTomy Mall thing in Japan, while it'll get a more regular release in Asia. No idea if that's true or where that theory came from though
That appears to be the case, thankfully! Consider my previous rant rescinded.

EDIT: And now listed on Robotkingdom (http://www.robotkingdom.com/tftrmp18b.html). Showing at $60. Not bad
And preordered. :) The price is a bit painful since the Canadian dollar is in the toilet right now. But for an updated version of the toy I've wanted literally as long as I can remember? I'll pay a few extra bucks.

Knightdramon
2015-03-27, 07:22 PM
LOL Robotkingdom bumped the price up to +10 dollars in a matter of hours :lol:

Skyquake87
2015-03-27, 10:06 PM
...the beauty of capitalism!

Glad I ordered yesterday

Knightdramon
2015-04-04, 05:01 PM
Takara Unite Menasor somewhat better pics

Tfw2005 via the allspark (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1038397-clear-photo-takaratomy-menasor.html)

Definitely limits the "oh wow" impact because unlike Superion, we had fully seen Wildrider before.

Very curious how they'll pull Defensor. Extremely hard to go all G1 purists when one entire limb is delegated to a smaller class and a totally new guy takes his place. Perhaps they'll push him further back so they can utilize a theoretical bike mould from the announced Computron?

Clay
2015-04-13, 12:44 PM
EHobby is giving Combiner Wars Optimus the Grand Scourge treatment. (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/japanese-transformers-40/e-hobby-unite-warriors-grand-scourge-182473/)

Grand Scourge was only released as a repaint version of a Grand Convoy model kit. It's special to me as a friend gave it to me as a gift after he went to Japan in 2005. So this... this I will get :)

numbat
2015-04-13, 08:16 PM
That is actually a rather cool deco.

Knightdramon
2015-04-15, 03:39 PM
Grand Scourge strangely up on HLJ. (http://www.hlj.com/product/TKTE-0042-TF/Act)

Clay
2015-04-16, 12:39 PM
Why strangely? Does HLJ not usually carry ehobby exclusives?

Also, finally, a Hello Kitty transformer! (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/japanese-transformers-40/new-takaratomy-products-revealed-q-transformers-transformers-adventure-optimus-prime-and-more-182487/)

Knightdramon
2015-04-16, 05:06 PM
Why strangely? Does HLJ not usually carry ehobby exclusives?

Nope, as far as I remember HLJ has not widely carried any ehobby exclusives except for that random encore Sunstorm a few years ago. Usually anything that is not a bread and butter retail release will not be on HLJ's website [transformers related, anyway].

Clay
2015-04-22, 12:37 PM
Masterpiece 26 is Road Rage, it seems.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/transformers-masterpiece-mp-26-revealed-as-roadrage-182527/

Knightdramon
2015-04-22, 03:50 PM
Turns out -some- of the rumours were true indeed :swirly:

Kind of bummed---she has a more feminine face and a remoulded upper chest [or so it seems], but no faceplate yet.

EDIT: Looking more closely, toy-accurate gun, remoulded crotch piece, and different thighs as well.

I think TT played with and found the golden balance, and this will be the norm from now on;

One Cartoon version---toy is going to reproduce the cartoon look
Toy version---retool of the above as a separate character, with more toy-specific accessories that are of course interchangeable [Exhaust, G2 Bee with the not so exclusive anymore mask, Silver AND Bluestreak with the exclusive launchers, and now this one]. Almost certain Ironhide will get a black deco with toy accurate launchers and pistol/riffle ;)

Warcry
2015-04-23, 04:34 AM
The toy-accurate gun is a nice touch, but I honestly don't see the point in doing this if she doesn't at least have an optional faceplate. Surely anyone who buys this is doing it because they have fond memories of the Diaclone/eHobby toys, and not the random fanclub drivel that put lipstick on her and used her as a prop in a "Side Burn likes red cars" joke. That would be like doing Exhaust without his ridiculous 70s space glasses...

Nitpicking complaints aside, though, I look forward to seeing how the mold looks in red. :)

Knightdramon
2015-04-23, 05:06 PM
Unless it's the amazon accessory with Tracks -or- optional with Road Rage but not seen, I think they are saving the toy accurate faceplate for the black repaint.

They will milk the f*ck out of this ;)

Warcry
2015-04-23, 05:32 PM
That would make sense, I suppose. Black Tracks is definitely popular enough to merit his own release down the line, and his popularity is even more toy-based than Road Rage's.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see them do a yellow redeco as a callback to the Alternator, either, if the first two sell well enough. But then again, I'm also still half-expecting an MP Slicer one day...

Skyquake87
2015-04-24, 08:25 AM
I could go for a Slicer or a Black Tracks. I've got my E-Hoby Road Rage, and she's fancy enough for me. And has a face plate.

Knightdramon
2015-05-08, 11:24 AM
First coloured pic of Road Rage in bot mode

RK on FB (https://www.facebook.com/Robotkingdom/photos/ms.c.eJwlx8ERACAIA7CNvEqxhf0X49T80iYOEULKqdX3UX7X~;ifYLMA15cwJkw~-~-.bps.a.973052859380096.1073743197.168147899870600/973053026046746/?type=1&theater)

EDIT: Clearer image at BBTS here (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK12132&mode=retail)
EDIT2: Even better images at Anime export http://www.anime-export.com/product/25495

Nifty. Twincast repaint of the mini Blaster, plus...unknown human?

Tetsuro
2015-05-08, 07:31 PM
Would be amusing if the Black Tracks repaint was a Finnish exclusive, similar to the Diaclone toy...

...except the Transformers market in Finland is completely shit these days.

zigzagger
2015-05-09, 12:03 AM
Not bad, not bad. And that sure is a pretty shade of red.

Though, why must Takara insist on taking pictures of both Tracks and Road Rage posed at a slight angle? Makes it tricky to work out some of the differences in remolding.

Knightdramon
2015-05-09, 11:22 AM
Yes, the cherry red does pop out in comparison to the flatter red on Sideswipe and Prime.

I'm curious to see what flame deco they will use for this one. Much like Tracks, fully coloured robot pics are shown before the fully coloured vehicle.

Really liking the [now clear] diaclone and cartoon repaints we are getting.

And this makes it 4 releases in a row, month-wise, from July [G2 Bee] all the way to October.

I'm itching for the eventual Ironhide reveal. Oh yes. Maybe at Tokyo Toy Show in June?

numbat
2015-05-09, 06:50 PM
Road Rage does look cool, but I'm still on the fence with Tracks, and am unlikely to pick up a Diaclone repaint. I'll wait and see... I love Corvettes. I would really like a yellow version...

Very much looking forward to seeing how Ironhide turns out.

:)

Sades
2015-05-09, 08:33 PM
RED. RED MAKES YOU GO FASTERRRRR

Honestly like the red, still not sure about the figure. Though it seems nicely posable. I think it's growing on me.

Unicron
2015-05-14, 02:00 PM
Think this qualifies for this thread:

TFW2005 (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/japanese-transformers-40/takaratomy-unite-warriors-defensor-teaser-deluxe-groove-incoming-182726/) is reporting a image shared on Twitter by TakaraTomy designer Hisashi Yuki. It's a silhouette of Defensor, with what appears to be a deluxe Groove as the right leg. Very interesting

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-05-14, 04:10 PM
Think this qualifies for this thread:

TFW2005 (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/japanese-transformers-40/takaratomy-unite-warriors-defensor-teaser-deluxe-groove-incoming-182726/) is reporting a image shared on Twitter by TakaraTomy designer Hisashi Yuki. It's a silhouette of Defensor, with what appears to be a deluxe Groove as the right leg. Very interesting

Oooh. That is interesting. Could be something I'd import as a set.

Knightdramon
2015-05-14, 07:06 PM
My speculation---

Hasbro has already a mould for the motorcycle technobot that can be generic enough to pass as Groove.

Takara delayed their defensor enough to be able to use -that- mould around the time hasbro comes out with Computron [all but confirmed on listings].

Which then really, really begs the f*cking question---why even bother with the [so far] 3 new combiner members [Alpha Bravo, Offroad, Rook] if you had plans already to release the full original line up?

Is it a backlash from all the bitchy whining from the fandom over something original done for once, or was this always the plan? If so, why not invest on a whole new combiner with those 3, a new main body and another member?

Warcry
2015-05-14, 07:16 PM
Which then really, really begs the f*cking question---why even bother with the [so far] 3 new combiner members [Alpha Bravo, Offroad, Rook] if you had plans already to release the full original line up?
After the way it's all played out, I don't think Hasbro ever did plan to release the originals. It doesn't seem like they saw the backlash coming at all. Slingshot and Wildrider are online/Diamond exclusives that just appeared out of nowhere, which just screams "panic move" to me. I mean, surely if this was part of some diabolical scheme to trick fans into buying the new characters first before releasing the originals, then Slingshot and Wildrider would be available at retail for maximum profiteering?

It's just been handled way too sloppily for it to be intentional.

inflatable dalek
2015-05-14, 07:20 PM
As has been said before, having new combiner characters to keep team members on shelves for kids as waves come and go is a sensible move. I don't think it would have hurt to have the original characters out first though, it wouldn't have made any difference to child buyers and it would have stopped fan moaning.

Well, some fan moaning.

A fan moan.

Of course, the decision to do the Technobots might have been made after the Protectobots were put into effect, meaning Hasbro weren't expecting to need two bikes anyway.

Thunderwave
2015-05-14, 07:51 PM
After the way it's all played out, I don't think Hasbro ever did plan to release the originals. It doesn't seem like they saw the backlash coming at all. Slingshot and Wildrider are online/Diamond exclusives that just appeared out of nowhere, which just screams "panic move" to me. I mean, surely if this was part of some diabolical scheme to trick fans into buying the new characters first before releasing the originals, then Slingshot and Wildrider would be available at retail for maximum profiteering?

I have to agree with this. Takara has been known to do the occasional thing without Hasbro. Seeing the fan backlash over Japan getting the "missing" members might of spurred them into releasing them in other markets somehow. The fact you can order them on Amazon but not the other online retailers says a lot (especially considering BBTS has had exclusives before).

That said I'm still really pleased with Alpha Bravo and Offroad, even though I'll be getting Slingshot and Wildrider as well. Having a few extra combiner limbs that can be swapped out at will doesn't offend me and I rather like both molds. If Takara does drop a full sized Deluxe Groove I really hope Hasbro takes a similar tack and releases him like Slingshot and Wildrider. If not I may just import Defensor from Japan and pick up a Rook on the side. I rather like the cut of his jib.

Skyquake87
2015-05-14, 09:34 PM
I am puzzled why a large company like Hasbro seems to take some cues from twittering, fickle old farts on message boards. There's engaging with your consumer base, but being dictated to by them..? And a tiny sliver of your consumer base too...*

Or am I wrong and is this all some clever marketing ploy that none of us understand?

*Maybe its like those customers whom shout the loudest and cause the most aggravation generally getting their way, irrespective of whether they are right or not, just because its easier to shut them up than actually brass tack the reasons why things are the way they are, and that there are normally very good reasons for whats available and what isn't.

Denyer
2015-05-14, 09:57 PM
IIRC old estimates put the adult collector market at about 10% of the sales for ordinary retail lines. That's probably increased as a result of kids giving less of a shit and parents being priced out, particularly with video games (and ad-supported tablet games at that) offering better value.

Unicron
2015-05-14, 10:39 PM

Basically covers my thoughts on the matter.

I'm awaiting the full reveal before making the final decision, but I'm probably going with the Takara version like I did with Superion. Price on the preorder came in close enough to retail on the Hasbro Aerialbots, and there's the convenience of getting them all at once without having the track down pieces across waves or getting the 'proper' member via wherever it's available.
Still, depending on how Legends Groove works/looks with Defensor (have we seen pics of that yet?), I may snag one anyway. Thinking about picking up an Alpha Bravo just have to have the option too.

Clay
2015-05-15, 12:50 AM
And now for the latest episode in the ongoing Exhaust saga, US-based TFSource managed to fulfill preorders for Exhaust... (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1000681-takara-mp-23-exhaust-112.html#post12528019) by opening product and repainting the toy themselves. Also, they didn't tell anyone that ordered the toy that they were doing this ahead of time, so customers are only finding out as it arrives.

I had an Exhaust from TFSource show up today myself. This doesn't bother me much personally because they matched the red pretty well which means that I spray some white on the hood and recreate the original deco, but otherwise? I'd be rather objectionable. Even granted that TFSource included a little card that says that it can be returned at their cost with no questions asked, it's sour grapes if someone only ordered Exhaust from them since you can't get another one for the same price elsewhere at this point.

However, the paint apparently comes off with fingernail scratching, leaving the original* deco intact.

*What it left the factory with, not the untouched Marlboro logo.

Sades
2015-05-15, 01:51 AM
Wat...

Who... really?

That was probably a bad choice.

Funny as **** to me, because I didn't buy one. But, oh man.

Question I'm seeing that I would like an answer to is how it's painted... is that paint strippable in a way to leave what's underneath?

never mind... looking at pictures, it looks like it's all paint. I thought it might be a decal or something.

As for why they didn't tell anyone... I think they might possibly be banking on people not wanting to go to the trouble of sending it back once they have it in-hand. Stupid as hell, as I can't imagine a lot of those buyers are going to want to deal with them again after this.

Basically, this (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1000681-takara-mp-23-exhaust-452.html#post12531745) and this (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1000681-takara-mp-23-exhaust-452.html#post12531785).

Unicron
2015-05-15, 10:15 AM
Not an awful solution to the Exhaust problem, depends on how their choice of paint matches the texture and color of what's on the figure.
Though I think they should have aimed for a paint that would wash off rather than one that has to be scratched. Something like the 'permanently affixed' barrel plugs a lot of the recent Megatrons have gotten.

Still kind of BS that they did it unannounced, but maybe they had to in order to avoid some kind of problem

Thunderwave
2015-05-15, 10:41 AM
Not an awful solution to the Exhaust problem, depends on how their choice of paint matches the texture and color of what's on the figure.
Though I think they should have aimed for a paint that would wash off rather than one that has to be scratched. Something like the 'permanently affixed' barrel plugs a lot of the recent Megatrons have gotten.

Still kind of BS that they did it unannounced, but maybe they had to in order to avoid some kind of problem

I figured they might do something along the lines of the old American prohibition era blocks of grape concentrate. A little note in the box along the lines of "We had to add paint to comply with American copyright laws. What ever you do, don't do X and remove the paint".

Tetsuro
2015-05-15, 03:01 PM
Basically, this (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1000681-takara-mp-23-exhaust-452.html#post12531745) and this (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1000681-takara-mp-23-exhaust-452.html#post12531785).
Do you have direct links to these comments? These don't work if you've changed the default posts per page setting (which I have).

But yeah, I'd be pretty pissed off too. Changing them at all is bad enough, especially considering they were already altered from the original promo pictures for the exact same reason, but not even telling your customers ahead of time is just a plain dick move. Who the hell thought it was a good idea? Did they think people wouldn't mind?

Warcry
2015-05-15, 03:43 PM
But yeah, I'd be pretty pissed off too. Changing them at all is bad enough, especially considering they were already altered from the original promo pictures for the exact same reason, but not even telling your customers ahead of time is just a plain dick move. Who the hell thought it was a good idea? Did they think people wouldn't mind?
I think they're gambling that way more people would cancel if they were told ahead of time than will go to the trouble of returning and asking for a refund once they already have it in-hand. They might be right on that score, but this is such a terrible PR move that I can't help but think that they're costing themselves future sales by pissing off their customers. Pretty shortsighted, IMO.

And since the figure is easily-restorable and is presumably coming in the original packaging, Phillip Morris might still sue them anyway, just to cover their bases.

Tetsuro
2015-05-15, 05:30 PM
They might be right on that score, but this is such a terrible PR move that I can't help but think that they're costing themselves future sales by pissing off their customers.
The worst part about that is that it might not even lose them all that many sales. They're probably also gambling on customer loyalty - ironically as it may be - that people would also be too inconvenienced by having to find some other outlet to buy their stuff from now on to stop shopping with them.

Unicron
2015-05-15, 05:43 PM
The worst part about that is that it might not even lose them all that many sales. They're probably also gambling on customer loyalty - ironically as it may be - that people would also be too inconvenienced by having to find some other outlet to buy their stuff from now on to stop shopping with them.

They've got some rewards program, no? (So the banner ad here tells me) They're probably banking on people not wanting to lose the progress they've made on that

Sades
2015-05-15, 07:16 PM
Do you have direct links to these comments? These don't work if you've changed the default posts per page setting (which I have).

That's about as direct as it gets when you don't have an account there I think.

I ended up coming to the same conclusion as the first comment I linked to ("I think they might possibly be banking on people not wanting to go to the trouble of sending it back once they have it in-hand") , and agreed with the comment underneath it which basically said they should have just cancelled the preorders and sold the product on eBay. Which is still screwing people over, but at least they don't come out of it looking like complete asshats. Unless they tell people that's what they're doing, of course.

From the looks of it, the alteration is easily scratched off. But people are still upset about it happening to begin with, which tbh I can understand. I'd have been as well if it had been me.

Warcry
2015-05-15, 08:09 PM
You're probably right. :( I refuse to have anything to do with them after the terrible way they handled their credit card info leaks a few years back (denying and obfuscating in the hopes that it blew over rather than admitting it so everyone knew to cancel their cards), but tons of their shoppers were all too happy to make excuses for them back then. And compared to the large-scale theft of customers' personal info, the Exhaust fiasco is small potatoes. I'm sure most of their customers will find a way to dismiss this as well, unless they were personally burned by it. People are all too willing to forgive when it's a business they're comfortable dealing with.

It might put off new buyers from shopping with them though, just like the credit card mess did for me way back when.

Unicron
2015-05-15, 08:30 PM
You're probably right. :( I refuse to have anything to do with them after the terrible way they handled their credit card info leaks a few years back (denying and obfuscating in the hopes that it blew over rather than admitting it so everyone knew to cancel their cards), but tons of their shoppers were all too happy to make excuses for them back then. And compared to the large-scale theft of customers' personal info, the Exhaust fiasco is small potatoes. I'm sure most of their customers will find a way to dismiss this as well, unless they were personally burned by it. People are all too willing to forgive when it's a business they're comfortable dealing with.

It might put off new buyers from shopping with them though, just like the credit card mess did for me way back when.

Kind of like that whole shemozzle with the one fan site that tried to add a store as part of it some years back. Big mess, incredibly long delays in people receiving what was ordered, if they ever got it, and yet the site persisted on and is still one of the largest fan sites. Hell, I don't even know how many people will acknowledge or even remember that problem at this point. (Deliberately not naming names)

People will overlook all sorts of things for varying reasons. Inertia being one of them.

Warcry
2015-05-15, 08:55 PM
Kind of like that whole shemozzle with the one fan site that tried to add a store as part of it some years back. Big mess, incredibly long delays in people receiving what was ordered, if they ever got it, and yet the site persisted on and is still one of the largest fan sites. Hell, I don't even know how many people will acknowledge or even remember that problem at this point. (Deliberately not naming names)
I remember, though I think you and I are part of a shrinking number of people left who've been around the fandom long enough to have seen it first-hand. It was the big fiasco of the day when I first started posting here. But as ugly as it was, it still came down to a (probably well-meaning, as much as we hated him due to silly inter-site rivalries) fan biting off more than he could chew and having things spiral into catastrophe. TFSource are an experienced company that's been around for, what, a decade now? They really should know better, so I for one am a bit less forgiving when it comes to them.

(Though it could be worse. At least they're not FunPub!)

Unicron
2015-05-15, 09:36 PM
(Though it could be worse. At least they're not FunPub!)
True...

And to kick this back to topic, since no one mentioned it yet despite it being week old-ish news, the Takara version of CW Ultra Magnus manages to be both more and less comic accurate than the Hasbro version. The color layout is more accurate to IDW (red thighs) but the little Minimus Ambus is instead painted up to be Alpha Trion

Tetsuro
2015-05-15, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I saw that when I went to Kapow toys to check their inventory - I saw two Ultra Magnuses (Magnii?) on the front page. Didn't see that one coming.

Does this mean Ultra Magnus is Optimus Prime's brother and father?

inflatable dalek
2015-05-16, 04:36 AM
The annoying thing is, with TFSource as one of the main Western suppliers of this toy, these are the Exshausts that are most likely to wind up on Ebay in the future (whether because of people wanting to get rid of them, TFS wanting to shift stock themselves or the natural process of moving things on), I wonder how honest sellers will be about this in the future?

The Seibertron thing (I don't think it matter about naming names as we're not mud slinging or angry here, just making a valid comparison) just about pre-dates my time in fandom, so yeah, that must be ancient history if only an old, old man like Warcry can remember it.

OK, a little mud slinging, but aimed in a different direction to what you were expecting.

As for Magnus, I can understand Takara not going for Minimus, but I'm surprised they didn't take this cast iron opportunity to do a Dion toy.

Tetsuro
2015-05-16, 11:48 AM
They did repaint Flanker's gun mode into My First Blaster, so it's not like IDW references are beyond them...

Clay
2015-05-17, 05:12 PM
RE: Exhaust, it's not unprecedented for stores to have to modify figures themselves to comply with regulations or avoid potential litigation (Masterpiece Megatron got an orange plug), but it's always been done with notice to the customer far in advance both in writing and in pictures to show what they were changing. Changing Exhaust's deco without telling anyone until it arrives on the doorstep is a scuzzy thing to do.

numbat
2015-05-19, 06:50 PM
...but it's always been done with notice to the customer far in advance both in writing and in pictures to show what they were changing.
You say that, but my MP-05 Megatron was meant to be unaltered yet arrived with the orange plug anyway without warning (after e-mails assured me it would be an unaltered version). The best complaining did was give me 5 GBP refund. I have never ordered from EpicHeroes since. It feels crap when you get something that has been modified when you were not forewarned - after all, it's not what you actually thought you were buying. I feel very sorry for anyone stung by this Exhaust fiasco.

Thunderwave
2015-05-21, 04:05 AM
Damn it. Looks like Japan is getting a Deluxe Groove. I'll have to import the damn set if Hasbro doesn't release him separately.

zigzagger
2015-05-21, 04:47 AM
Damn it. Looks like Japan is getting a Deluxe Groove.

Yup. Here's a look at him (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/japanese-transformers-40/first-images-of-unite-warriors-groove-182786/) for those who may be interested.

Hmmm... yes sir, I like it. That will make an easy Afterburner, too.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-05-21, 06:28 AM
Damn it. Looks like Japan is getting a Deluxe Groove. I'll have to import the damn set if Hasbro doesn't release him separately.

Oh my. That is nice. Pushes my GeeWun buttons a treat. It'll be UW Defensor for me. 👍

inflatable dalek
2015-05-21, 01:44 PM
The robot mode definitely feels more Afterburn-ery to me than Groove. Though with the right colours he should get away with it.

Denyer
2015-05-21, 05:38 PM
Neat. Will probably get him. Although I like Superion with a few tweaks, skipping the Hasbro releases seems to be the way to go.

Unicron
2015-05-21, 09:26 PM
May be dodgy translation or bad info or something, but it seems that Unite Warriors Defensor is going to be a TakaraTomyMall exclusive. Not sure if that means exclusive like Blue Bluestreak (TTM exclusive in Japan, sold by Hasbro Asia outside of Japan) or truly exclusive. There's supposed to be something in the info about Groove not being available overseas, whatever they precisely mean by that.

Knightdramon
2015-05-24, 10:03 AM
Unite Warriors Superion packaging is now available to view here (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/takaratomy-transformers-unite-warriors-uw01-superion-in-box/32997/)

Does not look bad. I might be silly, but I am a tad worried about their shade of white---way too white, looks like it's asking to yellow the moment the sun sets eyes on it :swirly:

Ultra Prime also announced for the line in the usual manner [silhouette with kanji]. Wonder if we will see the japanese limb bots before the hasbro bots in this case.

Full colour Road Rage pics are now up [including vehicle mode shots] via dengeki hobby magazine. (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/first-images-of-takara-tomy-transformers-mp26-road-rage-finished-vehicle-mode/32990/)

I must add that Road Rage is up for preorder at Nippon Yassan, and unlike Tracks, has correct shipping quotes [for those of you that want to order via Japan].

Denyer
2015-06-20, 08:48 AM
Masterpiece Ironhide shown at Tokyo Toy Fair... looks very cartoony. More than one better alternative out there IMO.

https://www.facebook.com/daim.choc/posts/663088047124035

http://i.imgur.com/PiuJpB1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/B2L7oag.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9XlJg9q.jpg

Knightdramon
2015-06-20, 08:51 AM
Loads of stuff from Tokyo Toy Show

Unite Warriors Devastator is remoulded [all members have proper elbows!], flip down visor, individual guns

MP Ironhide fully revealed. Sled is extra and non transforming. Tons of accessories, all accessories can store on his sled. A little bit shorter than MP 10 Convoy in robot mode, can still fit in his trailer in van mode. Looks like he's wearing a diaper...

MP Optimus Primal also revealled. Can I get a f*ck yes? Only mock up shown for gorilla mode, I am almost certain it is non-transforming [no seams, no nothing] but looks good.

:up:

Denyer
2015-06-20, 09:07 AM
Ah, didn't realise they were remoulds. Wonder how much that'll kill US sales?

https://www.facebook.com/daim.choc/posts/663098663789640
http://i.imgur.com/0fswbji.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0fswbji.jpg

Denyer
2015-06-20, 09:09 AM
MP Optimus Primal also revealled. Can I get a f*ck yes? Only mock up shown for gorilla mode, I am almost certain it is non-transforming [no seams, no nothing] but looks good.
Meant to be a Masterpiece, really?

http://i.imgur.com/TIXUhKx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TIXUhKx.jpg

Knightdramon
2015-06-20, 10:13 AM
By tfw2005 coverage, yes, its' stated to be an MP for the 20th BW anniversary. Must obviously be a mock up though.

Constucticons killing US sales depends on their retail price. I think it'll be closer to 20.000 yen or maybe a tad more [Menasor is 15.000 yen and it's 4 deluxes and a voyager].

Denyer
2015-06-20, 11:30 AM
Ironhide proportions looks even odder in comparison... (c/o Cheem)

http://i.imgur.com/doqOINZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/doqOINZ.jpg

Knightdramon
2015-06-20, 12:20 PM
It appears that most of Ironhide's mass from vehicle mode just compresses and folds in to form his torso, judging from the panels I can see.

The diaper is not ideal. Perhaps it's the angle.

Primal indeed verified as an MP [on the video they announce him as an MP]. Sweeeeeeeet.

These news must suck for the poor [sarcasm at maximum level] souls who thought we'd be getting all characters from S1-S3 as toys because everybody is fair game.

Ironhide looks big and has lots of stuff that come with him---I think he'll be at MP Starscream/Soundwave prices [ie around 14.000 yen before discounts].

Warcry
2015-06-20, 01:53 PM
I know these aren't the greatest pictures, but Ironhide really doesn't impress me very much. The huge crotch and hollow forearms that are open from below are both really unsightly, and the head doesn't look very good either. He also somehow manages to be even boxier than the cartoon model, and lacks the "smoothness" (for lack of a better word) that makes the other MP cars so cool.

And the sled being a giant accessory surely defeats the whole purpose of having it?

(Kinda hard to comment on Primal until we see the actual toy, but it's cool that they're going there.)

Knightdramon
2015-06-20, 02:21 PM
Forearms are not hollow [though I can see why you'd think that], it's just that the dark navy blue clear plastic of his side windows rest there, which gives the impression that they are hollow from certain angles and that light.

I'm actually on board with the sled as it is. Very Soul of Chogokin-y, where all the extra parts store on it. It homages the toy, doubles as storage room and does not interfere with transformation.

I agree on the crotch/diaper. Could be the angle of the pics though? MP Tracks didn't look as flattering on his first pics out.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-06-20, 02:31 PM
I was hoping that MP Ironhide (and by extension MP Ratchet) would blow me away, but I'm not feeling it. The crotch and hip kibble look terrible. The Voodoo offering looks the best to me.

zigzagger
2015-06-20, 02:54 PM
The mold isn't white so therefore I hate it.

Anyhooo, I'll have to echo everyone's sentiments. I'm not totally digging it. Something seems **off** to me. Not sure if it's the kibble, or the seeming lack of bulk, or... something.

But yeah, not blown away. And when it comes to Ratchet (because **** Ironhide), I want to be blown away.

Unicron
2015-06-20, 03:32 PM
Hmmm, need to see what the price is gonna be but if I am indeed springing for a Devastator, it really looks like I'm aiming for the Takara one now.

Ironhide... doesn't look that bad but isn't quite there. Might need to see more pictures, might just be that it's not Ratchet, I'm not sure yet.

Kinda have a meh reaction to the news of Primal. Yeah, it's nice they're doing something for Beast Wars but I'm just not wowed by the idea of an MP Primal. That may change once we see a real prototype

Clay
2015-06-20, 05:06 PM
Ah, didn't realise they were remoulds. Wonder how much that'll kill US sales?

Yeah, I wasn't much interested in it before, but that's double-plus-crap on both companies' parts.

Ironhide proportions looks even odder in comparison... (c/o Cheem)

I think that I'll stick with my iGear Ratchet that I got from Knightdramon.

Tracks and Road Rage look preeety, though.

Denyer
2015-06-20, 06:44 PM
I think that I'll stick with my iGear Ratchet that I got from Knightdramon.

Mmm. I think it works a bit better as Ratchet, and likewise am not so much interested in another van. Defence Specialist does have a Nick Roche chin going on, though.

numbat
2015-06-20, 08:49 PM
Bit disappointed by MP Ironhide. He was a G1 fave but I had doubts he'd lend himself to Masterpiece. Seems like a weird move to include the weapons sled too. Maybe would have been interested if he just transformed from van to robot with no spare parts, but frankly given the look.

inflatable dalek
2015-06-21, 06:59 AM
I like the idea of the sled as a separate piece, but mainly because that will work with how the MARB was portrayed for Ratchet in the Marvel comics. I've no particular beef with Ironhide, he looks a bit rubbish, but that's fair to his character model which is the whole point of the exercise.

I may feel differently about Ratchet though.

I see the Japanese Constructicons have blown every theory about stability for the Hasbro one's arms out of the water.

numbat
2015-06-21, 01:15 PM
I see the Japanese Constructicons have blown every theory about stability for the Hasbro one's arms out of the water.
I just thought it was typical Hasbro simplification to save costs as has been the long running trend. I am not surprised the Tamara version of Devastator has better paint applications but I am impressed they added elbows. I may now consider this as my Devastator option if it's significantly cheaper to import than it would be to collect a superior third party version (like at least half the price).

Warcry
2015-06-21, 02:35 PM
I love how so many people in this topic don't give a damn about Ironhide himself, and are all just worried about how this mold will look on Ratchet. I feel much the same way. Ironhide himself is completely irrelevant to me other than as a way to obtain a Ratchet down the road.

Forearms are not hollow [though I can see why you'd think that], it's just that the dark navy blue clear plastic of his side windows rest there, which gives the impression that they are hollow from certain angles and that light.
Ah...I see what you're talking about! I don't think that's actually any better, though. It still looks pretty bad.

Denyer
2015-06-21, 04:19 PM
If I wasn't being clear, I think the iGear mould works best for Ratchet... not sure about Ironhide, probably the Voodoo mould in homage to the original toy.

Clay
2015-07-24, 11:09 PM
Masterpiece Ironhide due for early December release. (http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/07/24/masterpiece-ironhide-price-and-release-date-298572)

Skyquake87
2015-07-25, 12:20 PM
...that's an easy pass for me.

Cliffjumper
2015-07-25, 12:23 PM
..you're an easy pass for MP Ironhide too. Seeing as everyone hates it it should be nice and cheap for me to find...

inflatable dalek
2015-07-25, 12:26 PM
Hard to judge as I don't like Ironhide, him being slightly shit looking is a good fit for his fundamental Ironhideness.

It's how Ratchet will look that matters to me.

Cliffjumper
2015-07-25, 12:27 PM
Pretty sure they'll be doing a totally unique and different mould for Ratchet, not likely to just be a repaint or anything.

Skyquake87
2015-07-25, 12:27 PM
I'm just not into Ironhide's Sunbow model. I prefer the weirdness of the original toy. I'm glad he's not into me either, or that could have been awkward.

inflatable dalek
2015-07-25, 12:33 PM
Pretty sure they'll be doing a totally unique and different mould for Ratchet, not likely to just be a repaint or anything.

Well, colour scheme might could make a difference (there's bound to be some varient with the right head colour, but how the overall scheme meshes on the mould matters as well, those hips might not stand out so much in white), plus the having-its-cake-and-eating-it sled accessory actually makes sense for Marvel Ratchet where his animation model did ride it about.

inflatable dalek
2015-07-25, 12:33 PM
@Skyquake: He's just playing hard to get.

He's very into you.

Very.

Skyquake87
2015-07-25, 12:37 PM
Oh God, I hope its not like in Humans where I have to lock myself in the bathroom because he hasn't finished his program to penetrate me...!

..too much?

inflatable dalek
2015-07-25, 12:45 PM
I just meant he enjoyed your company.

Skyquake87
2015-07-25, 05:33 PM
...I'll get me coat

Clay
2015-08-01, 01:36 PM
More pictures of Takara Devastator from Figureking magazine. (http://www.allspark.com/2015/07/figure-king-210-transformers-scans-unite-warriors-devastator-masterpiece-ironhide-diaclone-revival-diabattles/)

They actually make the group look appealing. I do like how the individual guns store in the hollow parts of Devastator's back to make it look not-so-hollow.

Translated interview here. (http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/07/30/figure-king-magazine-210-translated-interview-with-hasui-shogo-298933)

Denyer
2015-08-06, 06:54 PM
For those tnat own it, how easy does it look that they could get a decent Goldbug out of this, complete with hood?

Answer: totally, the hood rotates as part of the transformation. The figure is smaller than Classics/United Bumblebee so the Renderform Gold Scout head is maybe just a bit too large and you'd probably want to find another alternative. I like the "toy" face personally but prefer the hood like that.

If you want the Renderform head to try, by the way, you can have it. The pic is with just the front of the kit head held on. Removing the Bee head entirely would be tricky since there's a pin and because of how it's been done.

http://i.imgur.com/Hrb6RlT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Hrb6RlT.jpg

Denyer
2015-08-06, 07:45 PM
That assumes it's got the appropriate design to attach to him (that or the obligatory 3rd party adaptor becomes available). Seems like Takara would design it so it would though. I also guess this is their solution to the potential too many exo-suit problem from various repaints.

It hugs the lower part of Sideswipe's back without needing anything else, although I guess some people would want it up higher or a larger one.

inflatable dalek
2015-08-06, 08:11 PM
Ohhh, I'm going to get me a Gold Bee at AA if I can now.

Tetsuro
2015-08-06, 08:56 PM
Apparently Ironhide's vehicle mode places some kibble behind his windscreen that looks like the sticker face on the original toy.

Ryan F
2015-08-21, 08:01 AM
New Masterpiece announced: red Bumblebee.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/08/21/masterpiece-red-bumblebee-300069

inflatable dalek
2015-08-21, 08:54 AM
So basically this is like Yellow Sideswipe, a "Just in case we can't work it out" placebo?

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-21, 09:34 AM
It's nice that Takaratomy are taking the time to do homages to packaging flubs instead of wasting their energy on something inconsequential like, I dunno, Jazz, Trailbreaker, Windcharger, Ramjet or Carnivac.

inflatable dalek
2015-08-21, 09:43 AM
I shall call him... G2 Hubcap.

Denyer
2015-08-21, 09:48 AM
And they're sorted for blue, white and black redecos, so the moulds are likely to see quite a lot of use.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-21, 09:54 AM
Are eHobby still a thing?

"This Bumble, in a slightly different shade of yellow with his usually-black parts rendered in the same hue, is a reference to one frame in a season 2 episode where Bumble appeared to have been slightly miscoloured in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment. However we can now exclusively reveal this to be a completely different character with a name we haven't decided on yet and his own bio that explains he was invisible the rest of the time. You should definitely buy him."

Tetsuro
2015-08-21, 04:39 PM
I wonder what sort of an exclusive accessory he'll come with.

Notabot
2015-08-21, 07:10 PM
I wonder what sort of an exclusive accessory he'll come with.

Clearance stickers.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-21, 07:13 PM
Need to be able to fav posts...

Tetsuro
2015-08-22, 08:00 AM
Clearance stickers.
Oh you. :p

Knightdramon
2015-08-22, 03:07 PM
Red Bumble appears to be a satelite shop [however that's called] exclusive. Cybertron Satellite.

First preorder up here (http://www.robotkingdom.com/transformers/masterpiece/tftrmp21r.html)

I am in two minds about this. One one hand, it's [relatively] cheap, and it's a great mould.

On the other hand, I worry it will join the ranks of Exhaust and G2 Bee as "figure I transformed twice, put back in the box and stored away".

:lol:

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-22, 03:42 PM
Psst! You don't have to buy it. It's not compulsory...

Knightdramon
2015-08-22, 04:04 PM
I know :lol:

I find it a bit odd that I have no qualms ignoring the likes of MP Skywarp and Thundercracker [the newer one, I have the hasbro version], but am so easy to win over with carbots repainted into non-show colours :lol:

numbat
2015-08-23, 12:54 PM
Red Bumblebee was the first Transformer my wife ever bought me (when we had only recently started dating), and given she didn't really follow that up and now hates them all, the 'character' has a lot of sentimental value for me. And, of course, G1 Bumblebee was my first ever Transformer toy as a kid (yellow, mind). That all said, I doubt I would spend money on a Masterpiece version (unless it ended up on clearance). I would want it with the toy accurate face though, given it's a toy homage - the cartoon face is utterly pointless on this.

Knightdramon
2015-08-25, 12:02 PM
Fuller scan of said page, with full details on MP Ironhide (http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/08/25/figure-king-masterpiece-ironhide-scan-300318)

I can't see this being less than 10.000 yen at least. I think he's going to be MP Starscream price or so, he just has too many accessories and he is far taller than regular cars to be the same price as them.

More or less, top half of the van is uper body, bottom half becomes the legs. No release date I am afraid. With Thundrecracker and Red Bee taking up November and December [I think?], I fear we might be looking into early January for Ironhide.

Cliffjumper
2015-08-25, 03:48 PM
Red Bee is a bit cynical, like Tigertrack, but there's no obligation to buy and whatever T-T have to do to keep the line profitable is fine by me. It's not like they've ignored any great ideas to do it - the more recent recolours of the original were just plain shit anyway.

Not really getting the outright hate for Ironhide; yes, he looks a bit plate-heavy but he's more interesting visually than the animation model while retaining the look. I'm not really sure what else anyone expected from a G1-inspired Ironhide. Wouldn't object to him having an inch in height on the cars either, somewhere between them and Prime would help for a display without MP-10 just towering over the rest of them.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-25, 04:35 PM
Yeah I think Ironhide looks fine. Okay it's not perfect, nowhere near as "show accurate" as some of the other MPs, but it's acceptable enough as a representation of the character.

The Voodoo 3P one looks better, but they're a) not trying to hit a price point and b) completely unproven in the field so there's no guarantee it won't fall apart in my hand. Of course there's no guarantee of that with the MP version, but history suggests the chances are smaller.

If I've got any criticism of either design it's that they're not blocky enough. But that's probably just me.

Yeah, a bit of extra height would be good too. Big fan of how the 3P MP-style minibots have landed midway between the cars and Bumblebee. Takes the edge off the massive size difference.

Cliffjumper
2015-08-25, 07:22 PM
The colour certainly helps Ironhide; I do think it'd be very, very hard to do the big, blocky featureless animation model as a transforming toy without a budget-busting number of flipping panels. Bluntly G1 Ironhide isn't a character I've ever particularly warmed to so I can deal with a less than perfect toy at Takara prices to round out the line-up.

The scale alone means I'm probably out for any future Minibots, though. I like Bee as a toy and will probably get whatever they come up with for Cliffjumper because I should probably own a toy of the chap but the extreme tinyness means there's no way they'll be displayed next to the rest of them. It's a shame because Bee's design could quite easily scale up to about shoulder height of the main cars, cut out the extras (or make them exclusives or something) and they could still probably justify the price-tag. Basing size comparisons on the G1 cartoon is insanity; are we going to get an MP Huffer scaled to fit in MP Hoist's cab?

Okay, that would be cool, but you know what I mean.

Tetsuro
2015-08-25, 09:10 PM
are we going to get an MP Huffer scaled to fit in MP Hoist's cab?
If that was intended as a reference, you got it backwards...

inflatable dalek
2015-08-25, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I can't really judge where my dislike of the toy starts and my dislike of Ironhide ends.

Bumblebee gets away with being small because... well, he's Bumblebee. If other minibots try to justify the price with crap accessories because they're small, they'll be screwed.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-25, 09:46 PM
YYeah, a bit of extra height would be good too. Big fan of how the 3P MP-style minibots have landed midway between the cars and Bumblebee. Takes the edge off the massive size difference.

Took a rubbish picture to illustrate for anybody who doesn't know.

Cliffjumper
2015-08-25, 09:50 PM
If that was intended as a reference, you got it backwards...

Did I? Maybe go back and watch the episode again.

I did, but with any luck I've made someone rewatch that episode and suffer

Yeah, I can't really judge where my dislike of the toy starts and my dislike of Ironhide ends.

Mmmm. Never liked the G1 guy or even really got why anyone else does. Even in his finer moments in the comic (Target, Earthforce) he's pretty much just a generic Autobot - if it had been Smokescreen or Tracks digging up Megatron no-one would have gone "hey, what gives, that would've been a great bit for Ironhide". TBH when I see/hear Ironhide out of any context I think of the black pickup with the arm-cannons.

Bumblebee gets away with being small because... well, he's Bumblebee. If other minibots try to justify the price with crap accessories because they're small, they'll be screwed.

Yeh, it'll be interesting to see how T-T do the rest - it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see another Minibot mould for a while, though Japan has a lot less of a rigid pricing structure. Even reaching into minor quirks it's difficult to see what they could pad the other sets out with other than "yeh, jetpacks". A good compromise would be making the three truck guys a little taller, bundling something random (Sparkplug? One of those cartoon superweapons?) in with a reshelled Cliffbee and probably forgetting about Windcharger because pretty much everyone does anyway, poor sod.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-25, 09:57 PM
Even reaching into minor quirks it's difficult to see what they could pad the other sets out with other than "yeh, jetpacks".

Multi-packs?

inflatable dalek
2015-08-25, 10:01 PM
Selling them singly without accessories but cheaper?

Ha.

I do feel marginally lucky* in that, as postage wasn't a factor, GoldBee felt like a fair price in relation to what I've paid for some of his bigger brothers.

And of course, he was a bargain compared to the Exhaust I got who was sat next to him.

*In terms I can convince myself I'm not an idiot.

Cliffjumper
2015-08-26, 07:25 AM
Eh, price is out of the window really. Basically nothing in UK stores comes close to justifying the bloated RRP; I'm not going to beat myself up about paying 30~ for a nice toy like Bee when that's the same price as a terrible CW figure like Blocktimus Prime or Blandbolt. Size is an irrelevance, a hiding place for idiots who spend money on Fortress Maximus when he's got the articulation of a Micromaster.

I did think double-packs but that'd be a lot of engineering budget (and licensing) spaffed. Though I suppose Brawn, Huffer and Gears are based on generic cars, which might help. And all that crazy South American stuff would mean they could put out a repaint a month until about 2028.

Like I say, the best thing is that Takara have form for making the toy first and just putting it out at whatever price works (CR Build Boy, Prime Breakdown) for them when they're not particularly thinking about Hasbro; the two companies are probably more separate at the moment than they have been since before Armada in terms of output. So yeh, wouldn't be surprised by "vanilla" figures with a moderately lower price.

Tetsuro
2015-08-26, 12:00 PM
Multi-packs?
I could go with that, but how about some f***ing Decepticons for a change!?

Warcry
2015-08-26, 01:47 PM
Yeah. No matter how good of a G1 Ironhide they make it's never going to appeal all that much to me, because G1 Ironhide is a nothing character with a terribly bland character model. No matter how good of a job they do it's still going to be boring.

Like I say, the best thing is that Takara have form for making the toy first and just putting it out at whatever price works (CR Build Boy, Prime Breakdown) for them when they're not particularly thinking about Hasbro; the two companies are probably more separate at the moment than they have been since before Armada in terms of output. So yeh, wouldn't be surprised by "vanilla" figures with a moderately lower price.
Generally I'd agree with that, but that's why the original MP Bee got under my skin so much -- it was clearly smaller and cheaper to make than Prowl or the like but they crammed in that half-assed Spike that nobody wanted in order to justify selling them for the same price. The lower MSRP on G2 Bee was a pleasant surprise but that's what they should have been selling him for to begin with.

Didn't Takara claim that this was going to be "the year of the Decepticons?" I'm pretty sure that Exhaust and two Seekers that've already been done twice over weren't what anyone had in mind when we heard that...

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-26, 02:20 PM
Still more than came out in Zone and Battlestars. Stop complaining.

Tetsuro
2015-08-26, 04:54 PM
Still more than came out in Zone and Battlestars. Stop complaining.
Well to be honest, those two lines had very few Autobots either - ones that weren't redecos anyway. And Battlestars didn't have any Decepticons at all.

EDIT: Except for Megatron. I can't believe I forgot that.

Cliffjumper
2015-08-26, 05:49 PM
I'd love a bit of balance but... it's difficult to see what they'll do. Soundwave's done; Megatron's one where they've got a big decision to make over the alt mode (i.e. whether to go for scale in the handgun mode or not) and any market for Seekers scaled down to be a head over the Autobot cars has been throughly diluted by the milking of the original mould. Which leaves Shockwave (who has been saturation-bombed by 3P manufacturers like no-one else in MP) and the Insecticons who wouldn't really fit into the line's ethos thus far and maybe Blitzwing/Astrotrain (ditto once you've factored in zany colours).

The Decepticons sadly just aren't very MP-friendly. But it surely can't be too long before a Megatron in scale with MP-10...

inflatable dalek
2015-08-26, 06:05 PM
Yeah, the most obvious car one that springs to mind would be Runabout and Runamuck. Considering that's basically one toy into two right off the bat there may be some appeal there, but they're probably a bit too niche for a brand new mould I'd have though.

Mind, with the range branching out into MP Primus, I think a T-Rex Megatron could be more than a possibility.

Knightdramon
2015-08-26, 07:12 PM

Leading to...

Didn't Takara claim that this was going to be "the year of the Decepticons?" I'm pretty sure that Exhaust and two Seekers that've already been done twice over weren't what anyone had in mind when we heard that...

No, Takara never did claim that. It was a hopeless misinterpretation of a tranlslation that got a following before it was proved totally false.

I don't necessarily find the Decepticons as MP-friendly as the Autobots are.

The seekers are quick and dirty repaints of Starscream; no explanation there. Soundwave is iconic enough and has all the cassettes...few others share this combo of those two moulds.

Megatron and Galvatron are almost guaranteed [when is the big question], but the rest are either too big and unimportant, or too small and unimportant enough.

All MP cars thus far besides Bumblebee [and by extension, Ironhide] are hiding behind easy repaints/retools and very marketable alt modes, and has been stated in numerous reviews so far.

The Decepticons that can boast this and fit into smaller-priced MP releases are few or require additional tooling [ie Stunticons].

This could be turned around though; never thought we'd get MP Cars or Star Saber and Primal in the past :up:

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-26, 07:20 PM
Well to be honest, those two lines had very few Autobots either - ones that weren't redecos anyway. And Battlestars didn't have any Decepticons at all.

EDIT: Except for Megatron. I can't believe I forgot that.

No, you were right first time. There was no Megatron toy released in Battlestars.

I'd love a bit of balance but... it's difficult to see what they'll do. Soundwave's done; Megatron's one where they've got a big decision to make over the alt mode (i.e. whether to go for scale in the handgun mode or not) and any market for Seekers scaled down to be a head over the Autobot cars has been throughly diluted by the milking of the original mould. Which leaves Shockwave (who has been saturation-bombed by 3P manufacturers like no-one else in MP) and the Insecticons who wouldn't really fit into the line's ethos thus far and maybe Blitzwing/Astrotrain (ditto once you've factored in zany colours).

Trypticon (lolrite). Some of the Scramble City teams. The blink-and-you'll miss 'em cassettes. Y'know, Slugfest and the other one. Overbite. Jawbreaker. Cackle. Whatever. Then there's the movie trio (I know their are 3Ps on the horizon, but it doesn't preclude it).

Oh, and what's the other one... oh yeah that's right I remember.

CONEHEADS.

(Really want MP Ramjet. Hopefully he'll come with a miniature horse he can nut.)

inflatable dalek
2015-08-26, 07:42 PM
Thinking on Shockwave, would they even be able to do him as an MP? The toy (and therefore presumably the design?) is one of the ones owned by another company isn't it? Would that affect them being able to do an accurate Masterpiece rather than a general homage as most of his/"Shockblast's" other toys are?

Cliffjumper
2015-08-26, 07:49 PM
This could be turned around though; never thought we'd get MP Cars or Star Saber and Primal in the past :up:

Oh yes... Up until only a few years ago MP was basically a joke with its' billions of Convoy re-releases, Megatron and not much else, to the extent that I'm mildly surprised the relaunch wasn't rebranded and/or renumbered.

But now... Star Saber especially basically shows all bets are off - huge non-licensed relatively obscure character with zero repaint potential - but the Autobot cars are clearly set to be the bread and butter of the line for the next few years, and that's probably going to result in rank & file Decepticons moving to one side. It'll be interesting to see how SS sells and how quickly he's followed up, mind - the reissue of Star Convoy back in the day was a clear toe-tester to reissuing the big later Japanese exclusives and that died; may be we see get the same phenomenon. It's always worth remembering that all those fancy Japanese exclusives are profile-wise the equivalent to Action Masters and Vehicle Pretenders for much of their domestic audience.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-26, 07:54 PM
Star Convoy wishes he had the profile of Gunrunner or Kick-Off.

Cliffjumper
2015-08-26, 08:01 PM
Thinking on Shockwave, would they even be able to do him as an MP? The toy (and therefore presumably the design?) is one of the ones owned by another company isn't it? Would that affect them being able to do an accurate Masterpiece rather than a general homage as most of his/"Shockblast's" other toys are?

Eh, my hunch is 'no'. I only half-remember but I think the Shockwave design was purchased outright by Hasbro at the time (hence the Japanese release back in the day; I think he was unique for not being a Takara design in the initial Japanese line).

It certainly wouldn't affect making new toys I don't think either way - Classics Roadbuster flies close enough to the original to have roused attention if this sort of thing was a problem.

As I say it'll be interesting to see how T-T handle someone like him who's been 3P'd so comprehensively. It's not like Springer or someone where a $20 mass-retail kid-aimed figure isn't going to suffer from a few sales bled off by Warbot Defender; people are less likely to import if he's five, six times that and they've already spent $200 or something on an alternative. I wonder how much they're factoring in overseas orders? Is it 1% of their business for MPs? 10%? 50%?

Cliffjumper
2015-08-26, 08:02 PM
Star Convoy wishes he had the profile of Gunrunner or Kick-Off.

I suspect the reissue only sold to people who wanted Micromaster Hot Rod. There're probably hundreds on ebay without MiniRod right now.

Warcry
2015-08-26, 08:05 PM
The Decepticons sadly just aren't very MP-friendly. But it surely can't be too long before a Megatron in scale with MP-10...
Galvatron is the most obvious omission for me. Megatron I can understand because of the triple-barrelled problem of scaling the alt-mode, actually engineering the thing to be not-terrible and not being able to count on amortizing the design costs with a later Hasbro release. But with both a Rodimus and a Magnus in the MP line Galvatron would seem like a no-brainer.

In general though, almost all the 'Cons that people might want would land in the larger, MP-10 size bracket and that makes it a lot harder to get them made. Plus you've got the hidebound Japanese "bad guys don't sell!" mentality working against them.

I do wish they'd do a smaller Seeker mold, if only because the first one really isn't any good, but like you say they seem to be really committed to making every cent they can off of the old one.

Yeah, the most obvious car one that springs to mind would be Runabout and Runamuck. Considering that's basically one toy into two right off the bat there may be some appeal there, but they're probably a bit too niche for a brand new mould I'd have though.
Those two are actually two completely different cars actually, so it would be at least as tough as getting a Cliffjumper from Bumblebee.

No, Takara never did claim that. It was a hopeless misinterpretation of a tranlslation that got a following before it was proved totally false.
Good to know!

Absolute worst-case scenario, they'd have to get a licence from ToyCo. But they've actually got a working relationship with them (apparently ToyCo made some TF:Prime-branded stuff?) so it's probably not an unclearable hurdle.

inflatable dalek
2015-08-26, 08:17 PM
Cool info on Shockwave peeps.

The complete absence of Cone Heads despite the seeker toy clearly being the workhorse of the range (and it's put out with enough frequency to suggest it's a steady seller even now) still amazes me. I get putting on a new head and wings (though with the wings they'd have probably gotten away with leaving them the same if they'd done it with the original seeker and the accent on "Realism") adds to the cost more than painting Starscream green, but Ramjet would have to sell better than Acid Storm and he at least has the extra repaint potential with the G2 scheme.

The way it's going we'll see a Starscream based on the one in Blitzwing's colours on the cover to the first part of Decepticon Dam-Busters before Thrust.

On Galvatron, as well as his name recognition (the film characters are probably the last in the line that feel like an automatic shoe-in for the range as it is now) the fact he's instantly got two colour schemes that he could be released in and likely sell well in both-indeed, I could see people buying both-- makes his absence to date even odder.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-26, 08:26 PM
Aye they already reworked the jet mould once to make it cartoon accurate. I know that the coneheads all have different wing configurations, but they can always reissue each one in some random colour scheme with a Googlewhack name slapped on and claim they're background guys who were just off camera on Cybertron.

Cliffjumper
2015-08-26, 09:05 PM
Galvatron is the most obvious omission for me. Megatron I can understand because of the triple-barrelled problem of scaling the alt-mode, actually engineering the thing to be not-terrible and not being able to count on amortizing the design costs with a later Hasbro release.

Yerp; as awful as the existing MP Megatron is it's quite hard to see what can actually be done about him. Considering the character's huge profile and the general acknowledgement that there's never been a good G1 Megatron figure (even the AM doesn't have the cannon!) the apparent lack of 3P alternatives says a lot for the engineering challenge. I personally would be okay with an MP-10 scale version with the G1 robot mode and a vague "Cybertronian tank" alt mode but I can see why it won't happen.

Plus you've got the hidebound Japanese "bad guys don't sell!" mentality working against them.Yeh, this is possibly the biggest problem. SoC has featured occasional villains but probably at a rate of 1:15 at best; even Gundam largely only gets away with "anti-hero" stuff and generally goes to great lengths to avoid outright villainising the other side. The pattern's already been there with Binaltech, Car Robots, the tail end of G1, etc. - any line where they just go ahead and call the shots without genuine co-production with Hasbro sees the bad guys get stiffed. In this sort of context Masterpiece hasn't done so badly, especially when it's worth remembering that the Autobots massively outnumbered the Decepticons throughout G1 anyway.

I do wish they'd do a smaller Seeker mold, if only because the first one really isn't any good, but like you say they seem to be really committed to making every cent they can off of the old one.

AFFIRMATIVE; I would probably put down for the thing in multiples too. I'd personally have thought it was a no-brainer - Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker (cartoon/toy colours), Sunstorm, Acidstorm etc. would give them a steady stream of cheap repaints to intersperse with the coneheads as a retool (probably not much more drastic than that done to, say, Red Alert) would be easy money, but as they're still using the original I'd say it's not happening for the forseeable.

Those two are actually two completely different cars actually, so it would be at least as tough as getting a Cliffjumper from Bumblebee.Yesssss... and they're really, really nobodies in Japan. No Beavis and Butthead stuff, no shelf-warming original toys (IIRC they were skipped in Japan), no interaction with the pre-Movie guys... they're just a couple of chaps who hung around for a couple of scenes in TF2010.

Thunderwave
2015-08-26, 09:14 PM

I'd buy the living crap out of those two, but I'm a weirdo when it comes to figures. MP Seekers? Prime? Autobot cars? Meh.

Battlechargers? Kup? Roadbuster? Sign me up!

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-26, 09:20 PM
any line where they just go ahead and call the shots without genuine co-production with Hasbro sees the bad guys get stiffed.

In the interests of pedantry (that really should be my sig), I should (well, want to) point out that Victory is the exception to this.

Unless you count each combiner as one, in which case they're dead level if you ignore mailaways.

Though they sure as **** made up for it in subsequent lines.

And you could make a case for BWII but it really depends how you count the Seacons and even then the Flash Lio and Burning Convoy complicate the okay yeah I'm getting word from my producers that I should shut the **** up now. Here's the weather...

Warcry
2015-08-26, 09:45 PM
As I say it'll be interesting to see how T-T handle someone like him who's been 3P'd so comprehensively. It's not like Springer or someone where a $20 mass-retail kid-aimed figure isn't going to suffer from a few sales bled off by Warbot Defender; people are less likely to import if he's five, six times that and they've already spent $200 or something on an alternative. I wonder how much they're factoring in overseas orders? Is it 1% of their business for MPs? 10%? 50%?
I'd hazard a guess that Western sales don't make up too big of a chunk, else Exhaust probably would have been cancelled when all the big Western sites started getting hit with legal threats. But it's still probably an appreciable chunk considering how many hundreds of the things wind up over here. And they probably get a cut when Hasbro goes on to use the molds later, too, since it seems like Hasbro isn't chipping in on the design costs like they would with a Generations toy.

As far as 3P output effecting official Masterpieces, IMO it's not a simple equation. The popularity of the character is a huge factor -- a top name like Shockwave probably has better odds than a second-tier guy like Sludge. And the relative quality of the toys is a big deal too -- you're right that cost is a factor but part of why people dropped Warbot Defender so quickly is that the Hasbro Springer made it look like primitive garbage.

On Galvatron, as well as his name recognition (the film characters are probably the last in the line that feel like an automatic shoe-in for the range as it is now) the fact he's instantly got two colour schemes that he could be released in and likely sell well in both-indeed, I could see people buying both-- makes his absence to date even odder.
I suspect he'll pop up in the next couple years, now. With both Primes, Grimlock and Magnus all done, I'd be hard-pressed to think of any Autobots in the "big" size class who'd out-sell him. Jetfire maybe, but that's a bit of a stretch. PM Prime would probably do okay over here but I don't know if any Japanese fans actually care about Ginrai.

Yerp; as awful as the existing MP Megatron is it's quite hard to see what can actually be done about him. Considering the character's huge profile and the general acknowledgement that there's never been a good G1 Megatron figure (even the AM doesn't have the cannon!) the apparent lack of 3P alternatives says a lot for the engineering challenge. I personally would be okay with an MP-10 scale version with the G1 robot mode and a vague "Cybertronian tank" alt mode but I can see why it won't happen.
The 3P Megatrons I've seen all seem to put all their effort into the robot mode at the expense of the gun looking terrible. Which is probably the right way to go really, but even then the results (while better than the official MP Megs) really aren't that inspiring. Personally I'd love an MP G2 Megatron, but since that toy only came out in Japan as Megastorm a decade later I don't think it's too likely. Which is probably why I'm so antsy for a Galvatron...

AFFIRMATIVE; I would probably put down for the thing in multiples too. I'd personally have thought it was a no-brainer - Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker (cartoon/toy colours), Sunstorm, Acidstorm etc. would give them a steady stream of cheap repaints to intersperse with the coneheads as a retool (probably not much more drastic than that done to, say, Red Alert) would be easy money, but as they're still using the original I'd say it's not happening for the forseeable.
Assuming it was good and actually looked like the character model, I'd probably track down at least a couple. Right now I'd rather have a bunch of Classics Seekers than an MP, because even though the Classics Seeker really shows its age it at least gets the look right.

Knightdramon
2015-08-30, 03:31 PM
MP Thundercracker [Takara version] up for preorder at UK and US retailers.

No real surprise guys, mostly same price as Skywarp.

Despite Thundercracker being my favourite seeker, I am happy with the Hasbro MP11 version. No need to double dip or go for that ugly light blue from the cartoon in this instance.

Denyer
2015-08-30, 09:50 PM
Some more Takara Transformers Adventure Line has been spotted on Amazon, including a rather nice voyager-scale Battle Grimlock... good use of the FOC basic design.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-pictures-for-takara-tav-battle-grimlock-supreme-bumblebee-black-shadow-stepper-and-others/33798/

http://i.imgur.com/QIabw3z.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QIabw3z.jpg

Knightdramon
2015-08-30, 09:57 PM
Those guys were announced about a month ago, with tiny pictures, test shot pics for this Grimlock.

Must admit it looks really nice.

Denyer
2015-08-30, 10:06 PM
I'm assuming the dino mode is still a hollow POS, though. Would be pleasantly surprised to find otherwise.

Skyquake87
2015-08-31, 07:24 AM
That does look pretty nifty. And better than FOC Grimlock. Like the Stepper too :)

Cliffjumper
2015-08-31, 09:26 AM
Dunno, I'm never going to be able to get my head around Grimlock not being the classic green excavator.