PDA

View Full Version : So, now that we're getting up there in age, Who do you think will kick the bucket first?

Sades
2015-01-17, 07:21 AM
We're a ways away yet from nature taking its course, bad genes/illness/whatever else notwithstanding. But it's comiiiiing...

There are times when I think that given half a chance (when properly ancient and most preferably suffering from some sort of terminal illness) I'd like to choose when I go rather than letting it come for me, but I think I might be too much of a coward. And what about the ones left behind? But it's appealing, the thought of choosing your own adventure. Seems less frightening that way.

This is a little morbid, isn't it? :p Talk about something sunnier if you'd like, I just made this topic to put something at the top of GD that wasn't a "latest [blah] purchase/some thread cobbled together from bits of other thread. It's apparently true, the older you get the more boring you get. At least if this forum is anything to go by. I do enjoy tangents, so whatever.

inflatable dalek
2015-01-17, 09:31 AM
Cliffjumper.

Definitely Cliffjumper.

Because of various **** ups at work ("Where'd that 250 million go?") we've been told that our previously quite good pension is going going to change to become quite shit. Putting up when I'm likely to be able to retire from 70plus to Just After I Drop Dead. Yay!

Auntie Slag
2015-01-17, 10:18 AM
You know what's going to be really sad, when Peter Cullen dies. I wonder if Gary Chalk will be keeping his phone fully charged that day?

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-01-17, 10:41 AM
Judd Nelson too!

Not sure who'll shuffle off first. I'll just blanket guess one of our Canadian, American or Australian members, based on the fact they have many more lethal animals than us soft Europeans do. Either that or me. Feels like it sometimes!

Auntie Slag
2015-01-17, 11:45 AM
Time to pick some ending music then!

'First of the gang to die' by Morrissey.

'Going underground' by The Jam.

'Living in a box' by Living in a box.

'Your love is Predaking' by Sade...

Ok, I can't have that one, but its an idea for a Transformers pun-related song thread!

Cliffjumper
2015-01-17, 12:52 PM
I'm amazed I'm still alive now, TBH.

Funeral playlist planned, mind -

SPlQpGeTbIE
mzKOPYO_Kt0
fmEnRtMaeCo

inflatable dalek
2015-01-17, 01:10 PM
No Taylor Swift?

Denyer
2015-01-17, 06:44 PM
Right now, whoever I caught this cold off if I can find them.

I'm still leaning towards asphyxiation (gas or noose) with exposure (whiskey and freezing mountains) as the more romantic option, when I get sufficiently bored or broken.

Skyquake87
2015-01-17, 08:46 PM
Looking at my parents, I'm looking either a catastrophic mental breakdown or having a massive heart attack. Or both. With the added genetic risk of angina, a stroke and glaucoma.

Having had some quite horrible accidents/ things go wrong with me in the past, I expect it'll be all of the above. On a Tuesday afternoon.

Knowing that pensions in the UK have turned into an awful lottery (you save all your money with pension company x they then gamble it all on the stock market and you hope to God to get something out of it at the end - that is if your company and / or the government haven't raided the fund because there's a surplus that they then magically turn into a deficit trough greed and avarice), i'm fully expecting to work until I die. F**k retiring.

Cheerful funeral song...

Pop Will Eat Itself ' X, Y & Zee'
http://youtu.be/FcyTCoChsf8

electro girl
2015-01-17, 10:07 PM
For my funeral my corpse will be propped up on a dirt bike (ala El Cid) that will ramp into a flaming viking long boat that will be pushed out into the north sea.

Also this will be playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7JtD6WI72E

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-01-19, 08:34 PM
Me.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-01-19, 09:52 PM
Who here has a will? I do. I think it is a good thing to do, not only financially but also to give guidance to those who have to deal with your body and your property on what you would like done. Like, just who does get that MISB G1 Jetfire? And do you want The Touch played at your funeral? And who will be the next Matrix bearer and Prime?

Denyer
2015-01-19, 09:59 PM
Yeah. At the moment dumps it on a specific family member (who's the beneficiary) to sort out, with minor bits about distribution of odds and sods, not getting cultists involved, and offering my skull to younger relatives.

Summerhayes
2015-01-28, 12:54 AM
I know I'm quite young, but I'm definitely going to get myself killed doing something idiotic, so I might surprise you all.

Also, seemingly unlike Dalek, I'm getting the hell out of Tesco like a rat off a ship!

Notabot
2015-01-28, 04:14 AM
This brings up a topic that I've always kind of wondered about... when you do, do you have someone who will post a message here? If your significant other were to die, would you know which message boards would want to know?

Cliffjumper
2015-01-28, 10:00 AM
Yeh, I've told my wife all my passwords for various accounts so she can do it.

It does kind of worry me when someone disappears on here sometimes - we used to have a couple of regulars from Israel, for example, who just disappeared and while it's like 99% certain they just got bored of the place or whatever and didn't feel the need to announce it you do just hope they're okay out there.

Knightdramon
2015-01-28, 10:31 AM
Well, since most of us [if not all] are connected via facebook, I'm 99 percent sure that some friend/relative will make the obligatory "RIP we will miss you" post, others will chime in, and the message will come across. And then, each birthday of mine, people will STILL post on my wall [Happy birthday old one, we still miss you etc] for years to come.

And I'm not being sarcastic. I had a friend like that, poor girl passed away, FB account still open and each year flooded with messages like that. Ended up deleting her because it was just morbid.

As for the death "challenge"...thankfully my genes ain't that bad, any health issues were dealt with by the time I was 20 so no bad carry overs, I only smoke very occasionally and on vacations, have cut down a lot of alcohol and thus far live a relatively stress-free life for the past year+.

And hey...York is as quiet and danger-free as it gets. Causes of death being natural symptoms, occasional falling into the river by crossing the bridge on a windy night whilst drunk like hell and the ONE murder in the past decade or so.

:p

electro girl
2015-01-28, 01:21 PM
And hey...York is as quiet and danger-free as it gets. Causes of death being natural symptoms, occasional falling into the river by crossing the bridge on a windy night whilst drunk like hell and the ONE murder in the past decade or so.

:p

Most riverside bars have closed their balconies at night for exactly that reason. shortly after I studied at York St John a student from my course went missing and her body was later found in the Ouse. We were a small course on a small, tight knit campus so it was a huge wake up call to students and faculty.

Denyer
2015-01-28, 08:38 PM
No dead man's switch in place at the moment... would be too likely to fail to keep it on pause. Probably one or two people who'd post on Facebook. Passwords will largely die with me.

Clay
2015-01-29, 03:32 AM
It does kind of worry me when someone disappears on here sometimes - we used to have a couple of regulars from Israel, for example, who just disappeared and while it's like 99% certain they just got bored of the place or whatever and didn't feel the need to announce it you do just hope they're okay out there.

Dedicon!

Yeah, I know it's making things out of proportion, but I wonder about that every now and then myself.

Knightdramon
2015-01-29, 07:30 AM
Dedicon used to be fine up until at least a year after he stopped posting. We spoke on msn Messenger back then, he seemed fine...

inflatable dalek
2015-01-29, 09:11 PM
No contigencey plans here, I'd be worried some of you riff raff would turn up at my funeral.

In terms of absent posters, I wouldn't wish anyone dead but there's certainly a few I'm hoping have been badly maimed since they left us.

Cliffjumper
2015-01-29, 10:42 PM
Cheers KD :)

Dedicon!

DrizziT [and sprites touch?] from back in the day too.

Without wanting to be morbid with a membership of thousands even taking into account spambots, alt IDs etc. and what's closing on twenty years since Brendan forgot to lock his cellar door the odds are we've probably lost a couple of people anyway. And sadly Tramp wasn't one of them.

Terome
2015-01-30, 10:39 AM
I have prepared a long, long list of hilarious / heartbreaking status updates to be posted up on my social networks for every month following my death. It will be an electronic haunting.

That will teach them.

inflatable dalek
2015-01-30, 03:49 PM
And sadly Tramp wasn't one of them.

Be fair, if we got rid of everyone that annoyed you we'd be left with...

err...

Hound
2015-01-31, 05:07 PM
Me!

inflatable dalek
2015-02-01, 01:27 AM
Me!

So presumably you think Sades has annoyed Cliffy and thus would be exiled to the horrible wilderness death you would be spared from then?

*Big wooden spoon to stir my pot with*

Sades
2015-02-01, 05:10 AM
Who haven't I annoyed?

Hound has my passwords, or knows where to get them. Hoping that various accounts will be shut down after I kick off. Letting people know, that's up to him. I won't be around to care. :p

I've been thinking about a will lately. Thing is, I don't have anything valuable that anyone would fight over, so I might just be fine without one.

Mr_Hi_n_Mitey
2015-02-07, 10:33 PM
With the way I work and everything, I'll be surprised if I make it past age fifty.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-02-07, 10:44 PM
With the way I work and everything, I'll be surprised if I make it past age fifty.

How old are you now, out of interest?

inflatable dalek
2015-02-07, 10:58 PM
He's 49 and three and one half quarters.

Shrapnel Clone
2015-02-24, 09:11 PM
I plan to live forever, and so far, my plan works perfectly....

Selkadoom
2015-06-11, 08:14 AM
In my current Florida surroundings it's a constant challenge to wonder when the weather wants to become nickle sized hail and 60 mph squalls, not to mention being the chin to take the blows of Hurricanes on. though I havent finalized it my Funeral Playlist is;

Always Look on the Brightside of Life" by Monty Python i

The Touch>" by Stan Busch

Highway to Hell" by AC/DC

and "One More Time" by Daft Punk as they reveal I am infact not dead but now merely a brain jar cyborg who only knows hate

Cliffjumper
2015-07-10, 02:33 PM
I've been thinking about a will lately. Thing is, I don't have anything valuable that anyone would fight over, so I might just be fine without one.

I'm thinking of it as a fun thing; I've got DVDs, books, toys etc. earmarked for various people I think they'll mean something to/interest/surprise/really piss off/embarrass, so I get to be a sort-of beyond the grave random Santa. My last testament is also going to involve lots of people being ordered to finish off stuff I haven't finished out of spite.

Hound
2015-07-10, 06:01 PM
My last testament is also going to involve lots of people being ordered to finish off stuff I haven't finished out of spite.
That's brilliant! I'm so using that...

Cliffjumper
2015-07-10, 06:39 PM
You're going to be too busy blogging a race-by-race history of Formula One.

Sades
2015-07-10, 06:46 PM
You're going to be too busy blogging a race-by-race history of Formula One.

:up:

Cliffjumper
2015-07-10, 08:23 PM
And you're going to have 780 films (http://letterboxd.com/tomprankerd/watchlist/) to watch and review.

Tantrum
2015-07-10, 10:25 PM
I'm thinking of it as a fun thing; I've got DVDs, books, toys etc. earmarked for various people I think they'll mean something to/interest/surprise/really piss off/embarrass, so I get to be a sort-of beyond the grave random Santa. My last testament is also going to involve lots of people being ordered to finish off stuff I haven't finished out of spite.It sounds like you need a haunted house to bequeath to anyone willing to spend the night inside.

inflatable dalek
2015-07-10, 10:28 PM
Taking over the F1 site should be easy. "1973 Season Race 4: Some big circle in Europe. Let's say Monte Carlos as that one at least looks a bit different and British people slightly give a **** about it as second best after Silverstone:

Everyone went round in a circle repeatedly lots of times till the person in the best car won, but it was way better than today because they were allowed to explode and die unlike the mamby pandy girls race it has become. The person in the slightly faster car at the end was one of the Hill's. Let's say Jimmy.

*Rant about the inaccuracies of F1 films, especially that Stallone one.*

9/10

Repeat, just changing the name of the circuit (alternating between exotic sounding cities and shit holes) and the person in the best car. Simples!