PDA

View Full Version : My Interview With James Roberts and Lloyd Young on the Classics UK Books.

inflatable dalek
2015-03-08, 01:52 AM
Shameless self indulgence/promotion here (to a level TFArchive itself shut down for two days to try and stop me), but I also thought it would be of some interest to our Marvel UK fan posters...

I have recently conducted an interview with James (I have his private email address, I can call him James) about his work on the series re-presenting the British stories in order, alongside a chat with Lloyd Young (I also have his private email address but it doesn't make me look as cool to call him by just his first name), the chap doing the scanning and remastering.

This can be read here:

http://thesolarpool.weebly.com/addendum-11.html

Also, for fun, marvel at me attempting to record a video promoting the interview that has me pointing at nothing a lot because I couldn't get the onscreen links to appear onscreen:

cHr-E-aHf9w

Skyquake87
2015-03-08, 09:42 AM
Great interviews :) I liked Lloyd Young - he seems an enthusiastic chap and I like that he seems level headed about his collection ... even though its spun off into other areas!

James Roberts is a lovely man, isn't he?

Also...will you get a new bloody wardrobe?!

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-03-08, 11:27 AM
Dalek can't get a new wardrobe until he regenerates. ;)

Thanks for doing these interviews, Dalek. Very enjoyable. I am particularly pleased to hear that James Roberts (I don't have his email address!) is very keen to get the Classics UK book series completed, and that volume 6 is scheduled for this year. I was beginning to fear it had petered out with volume 5, which seems to have been out for a long while now.

On another note, as I am posting in your general direction, I'd like to say how much I am still enjoying your weekly comic review. While I hardly ever post comments to the blog, I can assure you I read it every week, and look forward to doing so until the end. Keep it up! I bet you're glad to get past the spacehikers tosh. Even my 9 year old self thought it was rubbish, and considered dropping the comic. Luckily Legacy of Unicron came along (for both of us)!

Knightdramon
2015-03-08, 04:19 PM
Neat stuff. Even though I've not read many UK stories, this looks like a subject of love from James Roberts. The interview was great too, thank you for not going into the standard "tell us how you started as a professional writer" etc stuff :lol:

...how many copies of that shirt have you got man? I know there's always washing machines etc, but I am hoping for more than one :lol: :p

inflatable dalek
2015-03-08, 08:53 PM
Great interviews :) I liked Lloyd Young - he seems an enthusiastic chap and I like that he seems level headed about his collection ... even though its spun off into other areas!

Yeah, Lloyd was genuinely super enthusiastic, especially considering that unlike James interviews aren't part of his bread and butter. He not only provided so may pictures it was hard to fit them all in, he captioned them all as well.

Also...will you get a new bloody wardrobe?!

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET A NEW FACE.

:p

...how many copies of that shirt have you got man? I know there's always washing machines etc, but I am hoping for more than one :lol: :p

I own one. Which I've worn twice so far this year. What madness hey? ;)

Ta for the kind words Rack'N'Ruin.

Skyquake87
2015-03-09, 09:52 AM
I mean that rickety , looks like its going to collapse on you at any minute one, not your clothes!

I watch your vidoes half expecting the thing to fall on you!

..my face is lovely. so there.

ptttbb (this is the sound of blowing a raspberry)

inflatable dalek
2015-03-10, 08:29 PM
It adds an element of danger to the videos. Will it fall and crush me?

You might think it's unlikely the video would go up on YouTube if this happened, but it's a condition in my will.

It's interesting from the feedback how many people had assumed the books had petered out, hopefully this has reassured people they were going to be stuck with an incomplete collection if nothing else.

Skyquake87
2015-03-10, 10:00 PM
I suppose these days we're so used to the current cycle of six months of regular ongoing comics then a trade of those issues, then six further months of ongoing comic book series then trade...

With older stuff, which fewer people might be interested in, you do worry that if you haven't seen something for a while, the sales just weren't there and the project's been cancelled or whatever.

inflatable dalek
2015-03-13, 02:21 PM
Well, the amazing impact of my interview is a fantastic... minus 1 sales of the books.

I spent ages helping someone on Gallifrey Base work through the differences between the various reprint series, rather than just going "Google you prat", only for them to then tell me that they'd bought volume 3 of the UK series on the Kindle but returned it for a refund because they hated the borders.

Which is a perfectly legitimate reason for being disappointed with the presentation as we've discussed at length before, but the interview is full of example of pages with the borders on them suggesting the tit hadn't actually bothered to look at it (or thought I added massive borders for fun).