PDA

View Full Version : What TV shows are you watching thread.

Pages : [1] 2

Hound
2015-04-03, 06:50 AM
I actually don't watch many TV shows but every once in a while there's something that catches my interest for a bit.

I was watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. but mostly lost interest in that lately. I'd like to catch up on Arrow and Flash someday when I have the time to binge watch them.

I just finished watching the two newest series of Gundam and they were great.

Mostly I've been watching Kamen Rider which I recently discovered and am very much enjoying.

electro girl
2015-04-03, 09:26 AM
I recently finished Broad City and I loved it. Currently working my way through series two of Vikings. I'm mostly waiting for new Mad Men and Game of Thrones to start though.

I'm still a bit sad that Parks and Rec and Legend of Korra have finished because everything I love dies.

Auntie Slag
2015-04-03, 12:07 PM
Whoa! good title for a song there, EG:smokin:

electro girl
2015-04-03, 12:14 PM
Hold on while I work on a cd cover.

Skyquake87
2015-04-03, 12:28 PM
I am mostly watching Fortitude which has been great - and er, grisly, Walking Dead - which has had a noticeable brevity in its storytelling this season (is the writing on the wall already? Terminus had a huge build up during season 4 and it was effectively done in one at the start of this season) and Moone Boy which is Chris O'Dowd's ace sitcom about a boy and his imaginary friend.

Looking forward to Game Of Thrones when that comes back next week :)

electro girl
2015-04-03, 12:39 PM
Ta da!

Auntie Slag
2015-04-03, 12:56 PM
I'd buy that for a dollar! :D

inflatable dalek
2015-04-03, 01:08 PM
I am currently rewatching The X-Files in preperation for its return. 12 year old me was a fool for getting bored during the pilot and going to bed before the very nice scene where Scully strips down to her underwear and insists Mulder look hard at her bum as she's afraid an alien has been up there.

And who can blame them?

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-04-03, 03:04 PM
Powers on the Playstation Network

Sades
2015-04-03, 06:26 PM
Kid's shows. Occasionally watch Nature of Things, Doczone, random talkshows, The odd episode of Dr Phil (it's like Jerry Springer, But with no actual fights and more bald!), Nature, and whatever else I have DVR'd. I think I have a couple of episodes of Once Upon A Time saved but I haven't watched it yet.

Really should get around to actually watching all of this crap instead of saving it and then deleting it when the list gets too full.

I'd like to get back to watching Game of Thrones... :p

Unicron
2015-04-03, 07:30 PM
Of new stuff, I've been watching Better Call Saul. Still have to watch this week's though.
F1, when it's in season, like usual.

Of older things, I've been working my way through the full series of YuYu Hakusho again. Always liked the show and I'd forgotten I had the DVDs around.

Dead Man Wade
2015-04-03, 09:10 PM
My watching has been somewhat stymied by the fact that the wife and I are rarely able to watch the same thing at the same time, which is our preference, unless it's Curious George or something for Moira.

Current TV shows I've been watching are Flash, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Constantine (provided it doesn't get outright cancelled). Older stuff, I just finished another viewing of TF: Prime (which I think may now be my favorite series of them all) and Buffy, because I don't think I've ever done a proper watch. It's always been sort of piecemeal, unlike Angel.

Denyer
2015-04-04, 10:28 AM
RID, Elementary, Constantine.

Had Buffy S1 on as background noise during the week; in retrospect it really jumps around in tone and there aren't many vampires in it...

Tetsuro
2015-04-04, 10:30 AM
Mostly I've been watching Kamen Rider which I recently discovered and am very much enjoying.
Too bad only a half of the first series has any sort of subtitles for it out there. Looks like I'm gonna be in for a long wait once I run out.

I recently finished both Layzner and Galient and took upon to rewatch VOTOMS and Gundam, although I'm now watching them in chronological instead of production order and just started watching Pailsen Files and Stardust Memory respectively.

In the meantime, I've also been watching the original Addams Family TV series as well as The Munsters, Jem, and Batman TAS.

I've also been catching up on Braves and Trider G7...which has no translation at all, so I'm kinda watching it in the hard mode.

Hound
2015-04-04, 02:25 PM
Well, I watched the first series up to as far as they have subtitled and then skipped ahead to the beginning of the heisei era stuff so I'm a dozen or so eps into Kuuga.

HeavyArms
2015-04-04, 02:39 PM
NCIS season 11: Usual NCIS fare while introducing a new main character as well as a spin-off.

Heinrad
2015-04-04, 08:04 PM
I've got to get back into watching Kamen Rider Faiz.

As for what I'm watching right now.......

Gotham, Sleepy Hollow(when it returns), Walking Dead, iZombie, Arrow, Supernatural, Flash(though at this point, I'm so far behind I may have to wait for Netflix to get season 1 so I can catch up). And thanks to Hulu +, I'm watching Horrible Histories, The Adventures of Sherlock Hound, Selfie(what's left of it. ABC is depriving me of hot Scottish redhead!), Stargates SG-1, Atlantis, and Universe.

zigzagger
2015-04-04, 08:06 PM
Recently started watching American Horror Story with my friend. Midway through 'Coven' now (that being the third season).

Good, occasionally over the top, fun. Like how each season has a clear beginning, middle and end. And part of the fun is watching and waiting to see how actors from previous seasons are recast into different roles and settings. It's pretty cool. I like it.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-04-05, 07:06 PM
Can't say I watch that much TV at the mo, but I have recently been enjoying Only Connect, which has just finished another series. On DVD I've been enjoying Brooklyn Nine Nine (season 1), and especially Der Tatortreiniger (The Crime Scene Cleaner), a very, very good German comedy series. I am really hoping for an English language re-make, because the set-up and characters are great, and I'd love to share it with friends who don't speak German. I've seen one dubbed episode, but the voice they used for the main character, Schotty, was all wrong. However, brilliant TV!

Sades
2015-04-07, 10:17 PM
Finally going through my TV, currently watching the Life Story documentaries I've got DVR'd, though apparently they're available on the CBC website so I probably didn't need to bother. Oh well.

Watching "Home", and I want to hug all the freaking adorable Hermit Crabs.

Skyquake87
2015-04-07, 10:36 PM
I just started watching The Returned which we taped off the telly via the magical black box flight recorder and its right good so far :)

electro girl
2015-04-08, 11:22 PM
Anyone been watching Stephen Universe?

Tantrum
2015-04-09, 01:45 AM
Steven Universe is pretty great. I like that they've gone a bit into what makes Fusions work. Their success seems to be less about how alike the components are than whether or not they can compromise on their differences.

It's more in depth than G1 gestalts, where Menasor was nuts, Computron took a long time to think, and the rest were varying degrees of dumb. Then again, 2 Gem Fusions seem to work out better than Fusions with more members. Maybe a 5 Gem Fusion would be as much of a wreck as Menasor.

Better Call Saul makes a good compliment to Breaking Bad. Where BB was about how easy it was for Walt to choose the wrong thing, BCS is more about how hard it is for Jimmy to do the right thing.

iZombie seems like it should be spelled I, Zombie. It's combined Tru Calling's morgue assitant supernaturally helping corpses with a bit of Dollhouse's different memories/personality traits every week. Maybe someone figured that they could combine two failed Eliza Dushku shows into one successful show if they left Eliza Dushku out of it.

Skyquake87
2015-04-09, 09:32 AM
iZombie is also based on the short-lived DC/Vertigo Comics series by Chris Robertson and Michael Allred (off of Madman), which ran between 2010 - 2012 and was ... average. I didn't make it past #9 - good call on the Dollhouse/ Tru Calling thing - I hadn't noticed that when reading the comics. Maybe its because of the whole eating brains thing...

inflatable dalek
2015-04-11, 06:04 PM
My X-Files rewatch has reached the episode BBC2 made a big fuss out of (to the point of showing it out of order) as part of their mini-relaunch for the series that was their Paranormal Night.

This was a big thing at the time, but sadly someone clearly thought "Oh, there's an episode with British people in it, that'll be a good one to make a thing of" without actually watching the bloody thing first.

So Mark Shepard- who you'll know from being in Every SF/Horror TV Show You've Ever Seen- who has an odd speaking voice at the best of times (being an Englishman who has lived in Callifornia for years seems have given him the accent of a drunk Australian) goes completely and utterly nuts with him "I'm the bloody caretaker now" tones that veer all over the world and never manage to be the same two sentences in a row. It's insane.

Then the actual script about British people on fire seems to be written by someone who knows nothing about either the British or fire. "British Minister of Parliament" being a glaring balls up in the first five minutes.

Throw in Mulder's never before mentioned and never mentioned again arsonphobia (I had to look that up as I'd have gone "Pyrophobia") and the episode is a comedy classic.

The best thing in it is Gillian Anderson, who is both delightful (love her pure undiluted sarcasm for Mulder's Girl of the Week) and does a better British accent than anyone else in the episode with just one line.

Sades
2015-04-12, 04:52 AM
Hound accidentally deleted the rest of my Life Story documentaries and the viewer on CBC isn't working. BUT I just discovered them on Youtube. Yay!

Currently "watching" (More like Hound is watching while I glance up from the internet once in awhile :p ) the Kamen Rider/Super Sentai/Space Sheriff etc etc movie. It kind of reminds me of Doctor Who somehow.

Warcry
2015-04-13, 03:30 AM
Haven't been watching too many TV series lately (Burn Notice was the last thing that I watched from beginning to end, and even then it was mostly on DVD). But one thing that I've really been getting into this year is The Flash. I really didn't expect to like it after the same showrunners turned goofy arch-liberal Green Arrow into Batman with a bow. And I'll be honest -- I only started watching because Blackjack told me that Firestorm was in it (I inexplicably love Firestorm almost as much as I inexplicably love Martian Manhunter and Red Tornado.) And then when I found out that Victor Garber had been cast as one of his alter-egos I absolutely had to see it, since he's just about my favourite character actor ever. I still expected it to be terrible, though.

But it isn't! In fact, the show is bloody fantastic. The character and his supporting cast are so goofy that I couldn't figure out how they'd adapt it for "serious TV", so I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw that they basically didn't. The show is just as silly as the comics, filled with terrible punny names, nonsense superpowers, zany time travel scenarios and talking gorillas. And I love it!

Of course, it definitely helps that the entire cast is doing a good job, especially Tom Cavanagh and Jesse L. Martin. And then on top of that they fill the show with brilliant guest stars like Garber, Clancy Brown, half the cast of Prison Break (I cannot overstate how awesome Wentworth Miller is as Captain Cold) and Mark Hamill.

Oh, I guess we've been watching Gotham too, but I basically forgot it even existed until just now, so obviously I'm not particularly in love with it.

Hound
2015-04-13, 05:22 AM
I've heard that Gotham turned out to be ass. I'm so very not into watching TV live. I think the only thing I watched on a television religiously while it was airing was this last season of Doctor Who and that's about the only show I would do that for.

I prefer DVD or Netflix to get my fix of TV shows if I can. Except for Kamen Rider which I have to watch via the "Methods Network".

Sades
2015-04-13, 09:48 PM
I've heard that Gotham turned out to be ass. I'm so very not into watching TV live. I think the only thing I watched on a television religiously while it was airing was this last season of Doctor Who and that's about the only show I would do that for.

What about Wipeout? PEOPLE FALLING AND SHIT. BIG BALLS FOR LIFE.

Well, assuming it ever comes back from hiatus. :(

Documentary time.

Skyquake87
2015-04-13, 09:54 PM
I have watched Code Of A Killer on ITV. Because John Simm is in it and that's usually a sign it'll be worth watching and also because it tells the real-life tale of the first person caught through DNA profiling, Colin Pitchfork whom raped and murdered two teenage girls. Quite a timely drama as well, as our government looks to sell off our National Crime Lab - whom do all the forensic science stuff for UK police forces - off to the private sector. Because everything else we've hoofed off to the private sector has worked out just fine and dandy. I wonder sometimes if governments realise that by privatising and privatising and privatising everything, there soon becomes absolutely no point to government. Just as well large corporate entities all have our best interests at heart, or we'd really have problems...

Warcry
2015-04-15, 01:48 PM
I've heard that Gotham turned out to be ass.
I wouldn't say that it's actually bad, but it's certainly nothing I'd miss if it went away, either. It's more in the "something to watch if I'm bored" category.

It has a few really good actors who rise above the material (Penguin and Harvey Bullock are both great), but it's mostly forgettable and at times I think it skews way too close to a generic Law & Order-esque police procedural. Oh, and Jim Gordon is probably the least-interesting Bat-character of them all, which means that the supporting cast is always outshining him.

inflatable dalek
2015-04-15, 07:38 PM
WIth Leo G. Carroll having popped up in the last two Hitchcock films I've watched, I've a real hankering for some The Man From U.N.C.L.E now, but sadly it's only had a proper DVD release in the states in an overly expensive set and I'm not paying for Amazon downloads (generally I only go for stuff free with my Prime membership). Hopefully the film will see a decent UK release...

Yeah, this post should go in the "What TV shows aren't you watching?" thread, but WHATCHA GONNA DO?

Tantrum
2015-04-16, 02:05 AM
I like Gotham enough to keep watching it, but not enough that I could really recommend it to others. From the first few episodes, I got the impression that the main story was going to be Jim Gordon's somewhat successful efforts at fighting organized crime and corruption weakening the normal criminals enough that the Rogue's Gallery types could take over, creating the need for Batman.

Maybe that's still the plan, but I can't tell if there's any plan anymore. At first, Jim was investigating possible mob connections to the Wayne murders, so everyone was in the same story. This past Monday, Bruce, Jim, Penguin, and Fish each had completely separate stories. One thing that makes Fish interesting is that, as an original character, there's more uncertainty as to her fate, which creates more tension. The flipside of that is if Fish's story isn't relating to the others, it just seems like a distraction.

Gotham's given me an appreciation for how TF handles continuity between iterations of the franchise, in that they don't. Sure, Optimus is usually a reknowned hero, but this time he's a washout running a bridge repair crew. One version of Sentinel Prime's just a jerk, another's a traitor. It gives the TF writers more flexibility than Gotham's writers may have, where the biggest change they make is to the characters' civilian names to make their supervillian identity more obvious.

If you are interested in Gotham, Episode 5 has an in-universe recap of the main arc up to that point. Episode 7 is one of the best they've done so far. So, if eps 5-7 don't do anything for you, you know this show isn't for you.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-04-16, 02:04 PM
The Netflix Daredevil series is superb, just for the record.

inflatable dalek
2015-04-17, 01:11 PM
Oh, and Jim Gordon is probably the least-interesting Bat-character of them all, which means that the supporting cast is always outshining him.

Well, to be fair he was extremely interesting when Gary Oldman was playing him, successfully managing to hold his own against much more flashey characters. It's a shame the show (from what I've seen, didn't get past the first one so he may have improved) has gone for an actor a long way down the quality scale.

After a bit of a break, I've jumped back into the Adam West Batman show. I'm finding it bizarre that for the second Mr. Freeze they've decided to give him a COOL (arf) catchphrase of "Wild", which he says repeatedly. Why not some sort of temperature based pun?

I'd ****ing love to see a show about the young Gordon from this show.

Tetsuro
2015-04-17, 10:13 PM
I've also been toggling between watching Addams Family and Munsters in five episode chunks between Kamen Rider, and who shows up as a guest star in The Munsters? Why, it's none other than Harcourt Fenton Mudd! Or Roger C. Carmel. Who also voiced Cyclonus in Transformers. The game of connections you could play!

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-04-18, 01:01 AM
I watched Orange is the New Black season 1 on Blu-Ray and I can't wait to see season 2. Which means I loved it.

I also watched Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. season 1 on Blu-Ray and while it wasn't as great as OitNB season 1 was it did get good after Bill Paxton came in and it did have some of the surprises that came after the events of Captain America: The Winter Solider. It takes a long time to get out of first gear.

Hound
2015-04-18, 03:51 AM
I took a short break from Kamen Rider Kuuga to watch the Super Hero Taisen crossover movies and they were so much fun. I realize they aren't really TV but they more or less go along with KR.

Also I've been kind of watching Power Rangers. By "kind of" I mean I've put them on Netflix at bed time and let it run til it turns itself off while I fall asleep. It's MMPR and I'm almost halfway through season 2 and it's so terrible but it's the closest I'm likely to ever get to watching Super Sentai.

HeavyArms
2015-04-18, 01:36 PM
I've just started watching Deadwood on DVD, one of the parts I like the most is the language, not the swearing but the old form of English they use, which is refreshing honestly.

Sades
2015-04-19, 07:43 AM
Heroes is on Netfliiiiiiix, Hound's never seen it and I'm half tempted to wake him up to watch it with meeeee...

Sades
2015-04-25, 10:00 AM
Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger is soooo much better than Power Rangers Super Megaforce that it's stupid.

I think Gokaiger is my favourite super sentai nonsense so far.

HeavyArms
2015-04-25, 02:09 PM
Finished the first season of Deadwood and now started on the second season.

Skyquake87
2015-04-29, 08:17 PM
Been watching quite a few things on telly lately...

Fortitude ended by it being all about prehistoric wasps making everyone mental. Not sure what I make of that.

Been on with the new series of Game Of Thrones, which is all setting things up for sh*t to happen late at the moment. Interesting. Not sure Sansa Stark knows what she's letting herself in for though...

We've had some decent satire back on UK tv that isn't Charlie Brooker lately in the form of Channel 4's Ballot Monkeys - about the big four main political parties battlebuses and their staff as they tour around the country. Its nice and understated, but very sharp. Nice to see Hamiliton and Jenkin back writing this sort of stuff. I do miss Drop The Dead Donkey. And also a cheer for ITV's Newzoids, another attempt at the satricial sketch show format previously owned by Spitting Image and revived a decade or so ago with 2DTV. Its had more hits than misses, and has more of the viciousness of Spitting Image, of which I approve.

And finally, Peter Kay's Car Share. Downloaded and watched the whole lot of this from the iPlayer. Its a lovely, low key little show. There's some nice visual gags with various signs and whatnot in the background - but you have to pretty eagle eyed to spot a lot of them. As with Chorley FM, he has some fun with commercial radio and its silly advertising and nonsense phone ins/ features. Kay's greatest strength as a comic is sharply observing and playing with the general absurdities of life and how people behave and interact. Sometimes, this is a bit too knowing and in your face (I didn't rate his reality TV spoof he did a few years ago), but here its really well done and feels, well, truthful. Almost like an Alan Bennett play.

Dead Man Wade
2015-04-30, 03:49 PM
Now watching Breaking Bad. Wife and I had started it back before the baby came, and never got a chance to pick it back up. I've now resumed, and am devouring it voraciously.

Also watching GoT, now that it's back and HBO Now has finally happened.

HeavyArms
2015-05-02, 03:08 PM
Halfway through Deadwood season 3, not sure what to watch after.

Hound
2015-05-03, 06:02 AM
Kamen Rider!

Sades
2015-05-03, 06:06 AM
Kamen Rider!

Stoppit! ... Poppet?

Hobbit?

... Game of Thrones!

Sades
2015-05-05, 11:32 PM
Going through my episodes of Dr. Phil.

Yes, I have a backlog of episodes of Dr Phil, feel free to feel superior to me. :p Most of it gets deleted 'cause it's plainly shit, but every once in awhile there's one train wreck or interview that I just can't turn away from.

What I don't get is why this show is an hour long. I think there's maybe twenty/thirty minutes of actual show, most of it is commercials and recapping what just ****ing happened five minutes ago. Though I suppose if I ever develop dementia I'll come to appreciate that constant reminder.

In fact, that might be why there's so many recaps... the only people watching this show is me and a bunch of old people.

Skyquake87
2015-05-06, 06:37 AM
Constant repetition is the worst thing about modern telly that Americans have bestowed on us all. It assumes your viewer has the attention span of a gnat and is also a moron incapable of any kind of recall. Hate it.

I also despise the hundreds of commercial breaks in TV shows these days - again another 'gift' from the US British networks have picked up on. I think it was excitable Saturday night firework Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway (not about er, takeaway) that was a particularly grueling on this front - ads and ads and ads and coming ups and recaps to the point where if you cut that sh*t out, you'd be left with 15 minutes of actual program out of a show thats on for an hour.

Sades
2015-05-10, 11:01 PM
So we finally watched the episode of GoT where ol' Ned loses his headthe other night.

I liked Walder Frey in it, didn't give two shits about him in the books (about as far as up to the first 1/3rd of A Storm of Swords, anyway) but it is very clear that that old man gives zero ****s.

ganon578
2015-05-12, 04:30 PM
Started watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars on Netflix a couple weeks back. The show has been really enjoyable so far, and I like the short episode run times. I've already made it through Season 1, and I think I'm 8-ish episodes into Season 2. I much prefer the continuity of Season 2, but I understand why they made Season 1 a bunch of stand-alones to get people hooked.

Otherwise the wife and I don't watch too much - the kids are always still up when Big Bang Theory and the like are on, and we don't have a DVR. We have been catching up on some missed episodes of Love It or List It, House Hunters, and Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods though.

electro girl
2015-05-12, 10:09 PM
Started watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Well done Sir. Stay with it, the end of season 5 is awesome. Get onto Star wars Rebels too.

I've had a bit of a TV lull recently but I'm quite into No Offence on Channel 4 and I'm a couple episodes into Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

HeavyArms
2015-05-16, 07:59 AM
I've watching Chuck and I've been enjoying quite a bit.

Sades
2015-05-17, 10:42 PM
Despite the fact that I'm terrible at TV, we've managed to watch a bit of GoT every night lately.

I literally hid my face when they started killing babies and whatshisface handed that baby over to the white walker, even though I know it's just some ****ing TV. I think having a kid has softened me up a bit.

We're a few episodes in to season 2 now. (maybe 3 eps in? I forget). Dany's a bit badass, isn't she? I'm not even up to that bit in the books yet, but it's clearly evident that Mormont is going to **** her over somehow.

Protip: Never google a GoT character unless you want the suggestion field to give you spoilers.

... Also, do not marry Hound unless you want him to drop big, thick hints-that-aren't-hints about what happens to characters later on in books despite you telling him to STOPPIT GODDAMMIT. :p

ganon578
2015-05-18, 06:24 PM
Well done Sir. Stay with it, the end of season 5 is awesome. Get onto Star wars Rebels too.

I'm surely sticking with Clone Wars. It's been enjoyable to see some new Star Wars (new to me, anyways) until Episode VII comes out. With the short runtime, it's easy to knock out 3-4 episodes a night.

I really want to get into Rebels, but it's on Disney XD, right? Surely not on Netflix or Hulu yet. We've suspended our DirecTV account until football season rolls around, so I don't have much chance of catching it, unless they do a DVD/Blu-ray release or something. It looks really good though.

inflatable dalek
2015-05-19, 02:38 PM
Ah, should this go in TV watched or DVD's bought.... Grrrhhhhhhhh

TV!

I picked up the complete Knight Rider boxset whilst in London (I had season 1 some years ago in a box that was eight times larger than this. Welcome to the future!) and have watched the first couple of episodes.

The pilot is good, really good and surprisingly dark (it starts with the Hoff being shot in the face after all and he's incredibly pissed off throughout) with KITT just being awesome in every possible way.

Plus, Colonel Lynch from The A-Team is in it!

A very odd ending though. A lot of those 80's shows' would have a single mother as the woman of the week (I'm guessing having a hot chick for the lead to hit on and a small kid to be cute was a prerequisite and they decided to save time by combining the two) but this one actually gives a speech to camera at the end about how Michael Knight has taught her that her son needs a man in his life.

No, not a male role model (who could be another family member or friend), she needs to stop being so selfishly single and go jump on a man right now this second.

Not Michael Knight of course, he's running out the door. It's a worry as the second best man in the town is Charles Napier. An odd moral message that has nothing to do with the rest of the episode.

Michael showing the kid the surprise in his car and making him promise to keep it "Their little secret" is worrying as well.

The second episode has the General played by Skeletor turn out to be the surprise villain. What a twist.

HeavyArms
2015-05-23, 01:45 PM
I'm alternating between the third season of Chuck, the '87 version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the second season of Lego Legends Of Chima.

electro girl
2015-05-25, 03:02 PM
I started watching China IL. It is the best.

inflatable dalek
2015-05-25, 07:31 PM
My Knight Rider rewatch hit the KAAR episode. Jesus Christ, Peter Cullen is terrifying in that. A nice tense episode despite most of KAAR's crime spree being clips from previous episodes (you can even see the deco KITT had on in the stunt show episode at one point. That might be more forgiveable if this wasn't only episode 8).

I also skipped ahead and watched the second KAAR episode (without Cullen), loved how they acknowledged KAAR clearly exploded at the end of the first one, but there's no explanation as to how he didn't. There's also an odd but very nice continuity touch in that during the two years since they've clearly mucked about with KITT's interior with different buttons and switches, but KAAR uses the original look he had in the first episode.

Shame they then mess it up by having the Cylon light on the from of KAAR be yellow when it was red like KITT's first time round.

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-05-27, 05:03 PM
Xena: Warrior Princess pretty damn good show.

Notabot
2015-05-27, 06:54 PM
Just finished the new Daredevil series on Netflix. Fantastic! Not at all family friendly, but the characters are really well done. Even the gore, violence, and language weren't nearly as over the top as they could have been. It all fit in nicely and made it feel very realistic.

Not knowing much of anything at all about the comics, can anyone tell me how many of the characters and plot points are things that are taken from pre-existing material and how much was made specifically for this show?

Brendocon 2.0
2015-05-28, 02:13 PM
Not knowing much of anything at all about the comics, can anyone tell me how many of the characters and plot points are things that are taken from pre-existing material and how much was made specifically for this show?

Rosario Dawson's character seems to be an amalgam of a couple of others, but we might get clarification on that as things go on.

I think everybody else is an existing character, in pretty much their general role from the comics. Owlsley's probably the biggest departure and Ben Urich's role is slightly different in the comics.

The basic gist is from the comics (blinded by toxic waste, boxer dad refused to throw a fight, trained by another blind man, etc), but the overall plot is a new take on it as far as I'm aware. Done the standard MCU/Ultimate thing of taking the core concept and putting a fresh spin on it.

Kingpin wasn't even anything to do with the Daredevil books when they started (as far as I know Frank Miller introduced that in the 80s), so that whole aspect of his parallel journey is new.

Overall the series is phenomenal. I love every aspect of it. The casting, the writing, the direction, the dozens of easter eggs, the fact it's just as much about Fisk as it is Murdoch. It's possibly the best live action thing Marvel have done.

If you want to read any, I'd suggest starting with Bendis's run (available in three "ultimate collection" trades) then moving on to Ed Brubaker's stuff. There's plenty of backstory, but it gets you up to speed as and when it's relevant.

inflatable dalek
2015-05-29, 03:35 PM
I'm not trying to say I'm obsessed with Knight Rider now, but the continuity is starting to keep me awake at night. Michael Knight is of course "A man who does not exist", so how can he get a call from an old girlfriend asking for help when everyone he knows thinks he's dead? Why does Devon not seem bothered by Michael hanging about with people from his old life when so much effort has been put into burying Michael Long? Why isn't she surprised by him having a new face (it's too early in the series for him to have made new old friends)? Do people not think these things through? Is it all about the car?

It's all about the car isn't it?

EDIT: Actually thinking about the "Man who does not exist" thing, the opening narration is basically describing a completely different show isn't it? All dark and dangerous world's and lone crusades. Not about a man and his talking car (plus a decent size support team) pissing about having jolly adventures at all.

HeavyArms
2015-05-30, 02:54 PM
Just finished WWE Wrestlemania 31, only a couple of issues I had involved Triple H, the first being his match against Sting, which was over-booked could have had Ric Flair help out Sting, which would have made as much since as the NWO coming out to help him.

The second issue was the promo that involved Triple H, Stephanie McMahon, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and Ronda Rousey could have been shortened a bit with fewer pauses in between people talking as it really felt like filler.

Sades
2015-05-31, 03:49 AM
This is actually something I won't be watching, but I don't feel like posting in the YouTube thread:

77lUAy8vwTo

I sincerely hope this is fake. And even if it is fake, it's still ****ed up...

HeavyArms
2015-06-06, 11:06 AM
Been watching Lego Legends Of Chima season 2 and with some of the weirder things I've seen on it like farting/burping books, it is definitely more suited for kids.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-06-07, 02:33 PM
This is actually something I won't be watching, but I don't feel like posting in the YouTube thread:

77lUAy8vwTo

I sincerely hope this is fake. And even if it is fake, it's still ****ed up...

Started out thinking that was a 100 Bullets adaptation. Was I ever disappointed.

Tetsuro
2015-06-08, 03:26 PM
Started watching Star Trek: The Next Generation. I actually found some old "coming up next" clips from the original Finnish broadcast of the series. That's some serious nostalgia here because we're talking about 1990.

Man, the first season really is a bumpy ride. I'd just watched the Planet of the Space Negroes episode and the Scantily Clad Hippies Sentence Wesley to Death episode. I also can't believe they ever intended the Ferengi to be the "new klingons" so to speak.

Denyer
2015-06-08, 06:40 PM
I'm impressed that Google recognised that description and spat out http://www.tv.com/m/shows/star-trek-the-next-generation/justice-18995/reviews/

Selkadoom
2015-06-09, 04:39 AM
Been bing watching the first 4 seasons of GoT since I've gotten them on DVD, as well as the first season of Futurama and some ST:TNG when I'm in the mood, on the more immediate front I still keep my daily schedule of watching Adventure time relgiously as well as Regular show, both shows are loaded with the subtle humor and dark stuff I love, as well as good story. then theres my deep dark secret to all but the internet involving... well John De Lancie voices my favorite character

Unicron
2015-06-11, 07:35 PM
With there being nothing worth watching on TV today, I decided to put on something that's an incremental improvement on crappy daytime TV: The DiC GI Joe series.
It's even worse than I remembered, and I remembered it being pretty bad.

Auntie Slag
2015-06-11, 07:55 PM
Ha ha! That's the way I felt when I picked up the old Transformers cartoons a few years ago. I remembered them being pretty ropey, but my GOD are they bad now!

However, the opening three-parter More Than Meets The Eye looks like high art compared to some of the later episodes, that Alligatorcon one for instance!

Unicron
2015-06-11, 08:35 PM
Yeah, City of Steel was pretty terrible. Not as bad as B.O.T. though.

Let me give you an example of the horrible I've been watching. Sgt. Slaughter gets captured by one of the few new 'properly named' Cobra guys, a generic schlub and this episode's featured not-quite-as-generic schlub with some semblance of a personality and backstory. So Cobra has a fairly valuable hostage to use as a bargaining chip and what do they decide to do with him? Uses him as bait to challenge GI Joe to a goddamn (American) football game.
I wish I were joking.
Hi-jinks ensue, including Cobra cheating and using their heavily armed vehicles of war to score a touchdown, and the Joes retaliating in kind. Somehow this leads into an extended game of keep-away across New York City as both sides keep stealing the tied-up Slaughter from each other. And the episodes ends with Cobra Commander trying to get into a Studio 54-ripoff club and getting tossed by the bouncer.

Auntie Slag
2015-06-11, 08:49 PM
Ha! I'm so glad I was more fascinated by robots than G.I. Joe. It sounds terrible.

Did they also do the thing where incidental music from Transformers cartoons also gets used in G.I. Joe episodes? I remember when I heard TF music playing in an 80's episode of The Hulk cartoon, it was very jarring and cheap.

Unicron
2015-06-11, 08:59 PM
Oh, I watched both back in the day and I remember thinking they were great stuff. At least I can take solace in the fact that my taste is at a minimum a tiny bit more refined now.

The music re-use happened more with the Sunbow series. Can't say I've come across it with this one yet, but I'm not expecting it. Totally different production company.

Auntie Slag
2015-06-11, 09:07 PM
Yes, I couldn't get enough of them back then either. Now, I'm happy to have the DVD's as historical TF artefacts, and a reminder of being that age, but I'd rather watch the worst episode of Family Guy than the best episode of the TF cartoon today.

I'd love them to update Beast Machines though. It wasn't brilliant, but it had this fantastically downbeat vibe to it... like it had been written by Robert Smith from The Cure.

Tetsuro
2015-06-13, 09:58 AM
Let me give you an example of the horrible I've been watching. Sgt. Slaughter gets captured by one of the few new 'properly named' Cobra guys, a generic schlub and this episode's featured not-quite-as-generic schlub with some semblance of a personality and backstory. So Cobra has a fairly valuable hostage to use as a bargaining chip and what do they decide to do with him? Uses him as bait to challenge GI Joe to a goddamn (American) football game.
I wish I were joking.
Hi-jinks ensue, including Cobra cheating and using their heavily armed vehicles of war to score a touchdown, and the Joes retaliating in kind. Somehow this leads into an extended game of keep-away across New York City as both sides keep stealing the tied-up Slaughter from each other. And the episodes ends with Cobra Commander trying to get into a Studio 54-ripoff club and getting tossed by the bouncer.
You know, you just made me want to watch GI Joe.

I honestly think that sounds a lot better than many of the other 80's cartoons I've watched that take themselves 100% seriously. These kind of hijinks aren't so ridicilous when they're done by a rival band, but they sound positively hilarious when done by an international terrorist organization.

Unicron
2015-06-13, 04:08 PM
You know, you just made me want to watch GI Joe.

I honestly think that sounds a lot better than many of the other 80's cartoons I've watched that take themselves 100% seriously. These kind of hijinks aren't so ridicilous when they're done by a rival band, but they sound positively hilarious when done by an international terrorist organization.

Just for specificity, this is the second GI Joe series, produced by DiC, which was mainly in 90 and 91 (though the opening mini-series was in 89). But yeah hilariously terrible at times. I'm almost looking forward to the over the top 'drugs are bad m'kaaaay' 2-parter in season 2.
Surprising amount of voice actor overlap between it and Beast Wars/Unicron Trilogy too.

Have some Amazon links in case anyone wants to track them down sometime:
Season 1 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SQRYJ6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01)
Season 2 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RMQ4TU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages01)
Full Sunbow series (http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Joe-American-Complete-Series/dp/B0077T5SN6/ref=pd_sim_74_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VE3W45N5Z39EBNT2HPX) (from the same time frame as G1, and the better of the two Joe series)

Tetsuro
2015-06-13, 06:52 PM
Crap, I forgot the second series was made by a different studio - or that there even was a second series. My brain's been full of Sunbow lately. The 80's Robocop cartoon series was produced by AKOM and it utilizes the same kind of episode title cards and animation as Transformers, but I'm not sure if it's a Sunbow series as well.

Unicron
2015-06-13, 07:47 PM
Crap, I forgot the second series was made by a different studio - or that there even was a second series. My brain's been full of Sunbow lately. The 80's Robocop cartoon series was produced by AKOM and it utilizes the same kind of episode title cards and animation as Transformers, but I'm not sure if it's a Sunbow series as well.

Understandable. The Sunbow GI Joe was the better and more memorable series. Also the one Hasbro seems to have given any attention to, both with the anniversary figures they did a few years ago and with it getting some TV time here in the US again. As far as I know, the dvd release is the only thing the DiC series has gotten. Don't even think the convention has done anything with the characters from that era.

A quick Wiki-ing says the Robocop series was animated by AKOM but produced by Marvel Productions, who co-produced all the old Hasbro stuff with Sunbow. So that probably explains the title cards and AKOM did some season 3 Transformers episodes so that covers the animation similarities.

Skyquake87
2015-06-15, 06:44 PM
I sat in front of Channel 4 last night and watched a documentary on Lego, which was interesting. Like a lot of businesses these days, beyond the smiles and brand values is a very controlled environment, full of 'hubs' and a methodology to shape the way you think and behave, something the native Danish find sinister as, like a lot of these sort of work practises, it discourages anyone from questioning the order of things, as it can halt your career, see you demoted or even fired (the few staff that were interviewed were watching what they were saying). This behaviour also made the documentary a bit pointless, as so much was off limits. A lot of this seems to have been because it was made fairly recently. It would have been better for the makers to have asked for full access and broadcast a year later, as the main reason the film-makers couldn't go anywhere was to protect products Lego were developing. The main thrust of the documentary was left to two narrative threads of a guy applying for a job as a set designer and a fella setting up a magazine for adult fans, which whilst interesting, were very much a side show. I was struck by how smart not revealing things up front is these days, as it generates interest in your product. In much the same way my beloved Private Eye has kept sales strong by not giving away its content online for free.

I followed that up with Humans, which looks to be a decent if slightly unimaginative lecture on the development of artificial intelligence and what it means to be human. A bit like anything by Asimov, The Terminator and Artificial Intelligence have done in the past, to varying degrees of success. The best part of the show (for my money) focuses on a harassed family and how they interact with their new synthetic home help. I particularly like the teenage daughter whose given up on school as she doesn't see the point in anything now machines are doing all the work...

ganon578
2015-06-16, 02:49 PM
Woo! Made it through Season 4 of The Clone Wars. Really good show so far... couple of dud episodes here and there (boring to me, anyways) but it's been a really enjoyable ride. Never cared for Asajj Ventress until the last few episodes of this season - now she's quite a bit more likable. Still thoroughly enjoying Anakin, and Obi-Wan has grown on me quite a bit too. And at least now my wife can stand Ahsoka, which she really didn't like in the early seasons. Only Seasons 5 & 6 to go, then I will probably try to catch Season 1 of Rebels on YouTube.

Selkadoom
2015-06-30, 07:33 AM
Been watching the Firat Season of Futurama myself and looking through the web trying to get a collection of Vincent Price Movies and Shows together. I also watched a Muppets DVD with guest stars Mark Hamil amongst others. My gpd seeing Mark so young is strange but he was very good. Even better when thry got Luke Skywalker into a Pigs in Space sketch.

HeavyArms
2015-07-04, 12:09 PM
Back on to Chuck, with season 3.

Cliffjumper
2015-07-10, 02:58 PM
Generally far too snobby to watch TV but Brendocon recommended Danger 5 and was quite correct in pinpointing it as the pinnacle of the human race.

0Z09bNgSeMI

Had Buffy S1 on as background noise during the week; in retrospect it really jumps around in tone and there aren't many vampires in it...

Looks really cheap too. Season 1 is a teen show that just happens to have a few weird things happening in the background for most of it. Watched back there's an insane jump in quality almost at random midway through the second series.

Not sure Sansa Stark knows what she's letting herself in for though...

Sansa Stark is probably the stupidest character in all of fiction. "Oh, I'll tell the obviously evil bitch who clearly hates me and everyone else my dad's plan, that'll pan out fine. Oh ****, better spend three years mooning around the city hoping someone sorts this shit out for me, then."

I think having a kid has softened me up a bit.

Concur. Not watched the TV show but every time Rhaegar's mentioned I freak out, and the end of Dogville is still haunting me.

ganon578
2015-07-10, 05:06 PM
Woohoo! Made it through all of 6 seasons of The Clone Wars. :D

Good show, all around. There were some slow, boring episodes, but overall the quality was good and the story lines were enjoyable. The mid-season abrupt ending episodes were semi-appropriate too. It's a shame the season didn't get a chance to run it's course, though - it would have been nice to revisit some of the emotional impacts on Anakin before heading into ROTS. :up:

Skyquake87
2015-07-30, 06:26 PM
I've decided Marvel can't be totally terrible at TV shows and given Agent Carter a whirl, reasoning that it can't be any worse than Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. And two episodes in, I'm enjoying it. Mainly because its not trying too hard and knows what its about. The '40s setting is well realised and Hayley Atwell is great. So good, if you don't mind a bit of mindless fluff. Good to see her in Ant-Man as well, which is decent fun times.

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-07-30, 07:11 PM
Avengers Assemble on Netflix.

inflatable dalek
2015-07-31, 11:51 AM
I've decided Marvel can't be totally terrible at TV shows and given Agent Carter a whirl, reasoning that it can't be any worse than Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. And two episodes in, I'm enjoying it. Mainly because its not trying too hard and knows what its about. The '40s setting is well realised and Hayley Atwell is great. So good, if you don't mind a bit of mindless fluff. Good to see her in Ant-Man as well, which is decent fun times.

Good to hear, I keep meaning to check that one out as the idea is fun and I adore Atwell. Not just because she's lovely, but because she always comes across as insanely enthusiastic about Carter and Marvel in general (I also adore the fact she stayed part of the Big Finish rep company longer than she needed to after she started getting big Hollywood roles).

Yesterday's episode of Knight Rider had James Cromwell (or "Jamie" as he was then) working for a villain named "Shatner". Which was odd as I don't think I've ever heard that named used for another fictional character, and as he didn't seem to have a first name you had the delightfully surreal experience of Zephram Cochrane-- and everyone else in the episode-- snarling "SHATNER!" over and over as if it's the filthiest word known to man.

Hound
2015-07-31, 04:36 PM
I just finished watching Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger and it was awesome and now I've started watching Kamen Rider Agito

HeavyArms
2015-08-01, 11:19 AM
After a break from watching DVDs in the morning I finally finished Chuck season 3, now I moving on to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for a bit.

Sades
2015-08-01, 10:27 PM
Kamen Rider Agito

I want to go back to Gokaiger, it was more fun/funny and lighthearted and there was less hinting at kids being killed by space aliens...

Hound
2015-08-04, 03:21 AM
They're not space aliens. They are "Unidentified Lifeforms". I think they are supposed to be similar to the Gurongi from KR Kuuga. Ancient beings who kill people. Not sure though as I'm not very far into Agito yet.

It is weird how these older shows are so much more serious and dramatic than the current stuff that is much more over the top and showy.

I enjoy both but I can see how the OTT style would be more fun.

Sades
2015-08-04, 09:03 AM
They're not space aliens. They are "Unidentified Lifeforms"

They could be Evil Alien Robots.

Skyquake87
2015-08-04, 08:36 PM
I have no idea what you too are talking about. It sounds exotic though. Like star fruit. Or lychees.

Sades
2015-08-04, 10:47 PM
Lychees are noms if you can get them fresh enough. Get the red ones. Just peel them and eat them. Don't eat the pit, though.

Starfruit is the tool of the devil however. Don't eat starfruit.

Selkadoom
2015-08-05, 01:20 AM
Was gifted the entirety of Dragon Ball GT. Its.... Decent, some stuffs good some stuff is awful.

inflatable dalek
2015-08-07, 03:14 PM
Thanks to the film The Man From Uncle is finally getting a proper DVD release in the UK, and one that seems to be selling surprisingly well (it made number 2 in the TV chart at work, I can't recall the last time a vintage show did that).

It's been years since I've seen any of this show, and I don't think BBC2 ever repeated the black and white episodes (though two of them were actually filmed in colour and had new footage shot to become the first films, though I've seen them I didn't really remember any of the plot and if nothing else a lot of David McCallum must have been added to the first episode to expand his thirty second cameo).

Based on the first few episodes, this is huge fun. The plots are mostly straight spy stuff with a slight surrealistic touch (people in diving suits walking around a corn field, Robert Culp doing The Spy Who Loved Me on a budget) but it's enlivened by a fantastic performance from Robert Vaughn. The man is just effortlessly cool and makes every line and raised eyebrow ridiculously entertaining.

I'm only just past the first episode where McCallum has been written into properly beyond "Hey, that extra in the pilot is cool... shove him in every episode!" moments, so it's harder to judge him. His complete lack of a Russian accent (sounding more like someone has unexpectedly shove a finger into him bum) makes Patrick Stewart's French accent as Picard seem convincing though.

And look, it's our old friend!

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/status/628606255003758592

I'd always assumed the scope and other additional bits were real accessories to the Walther that Takara had just nicked in the same way they "Borrowed" all those copyrighted car designs. I hadn't realised the add-ons were created especially for the show (and didn't work). Stealing design elements from another fictional Universe to make their own toys... Were Takara the first third party manufactures?

I was also amused to read the gun used to get fan mail. Who'd give a personality to a Walther P38?

What's annoying about the packaging is that it tells you which episodes are on which discs, but not which special features are. So I'm not sure what of the many created for the American release have been carried over (though the first disc does have the colour version of the first episode where the show's called "Solo").

Dead Man Wade
2015-08-08, 07:27 PM
I've been on a little bit of an English TV kick, as I'm just sort of burnt out in general.

Watched Rev., and I enjoyed it for the most part. Started going off the rails by the end, but the bits that work are the ones where he's trying to be godly and being stymied by practical and ecumenical concerns. I rather like Adam, as he strikes a balance one rarely sees in television clergy, mid-way between pious windbag and hypocritical letch. He's not perfect, and he has his crises of faith, but he's genuinely trying to be good.

Just finished Life on Mars, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The ending was a bit predictable, but it managed to keep up the ambiguity that made the show work in the face of it, and that was quite nice. Did seem odd that they kept trying to continue with the "How far is Hunt prepared to go?" thing when it's fairly obvious in every episode that the answer is "Pretty f*cking far". I found episode 7 of series 2 especially funny, given Sam's surprise and disgust over Hunt taking bribes and favors, despite his having done worse in the Warren episode of series 1.

Unicron
2015-08-08, 11:09 PM
Most recent thing I watched in bulk was Mobile Fighter G Gundam, after getting the full series in two box sets the other week.

A little heavy on the whole burning justice and power of friendship/love clichés, but fun in it's way. I mean you have to love any series that has a character who practices German Ninjutsu and treats it completely seriously. Still can't believe how ridiculous (read as stereotypical/possibly racist) a number of the Gundam designs were though.

Tetsuro
2015-08-09, 10:13 AM
Most recent thing I watched in bulk was Mobile Fighter G Gundam, after getting the full series in two box sets the other week.

A little heavy on the whole burning justice and power of friendship/love clichés, but fun in it's way. I mean you have to love any series that has a character who practices German Ninjutsu and treats it completely seriously. Still can't believe how ridiculous (read as stereotypical/possibly racist) a number of the Gundam designs were though.
I have this kind of weird love/hate relationship towards G Gundam. I genuinely love it for it's ridicilous, over the top aspect (such as the German ninja you mentioned), but I hate it for the tournament content.

I generally I hate tourney anime because it always boils down to "bland and generic shonen protagonist beats up characters more interesting than himself", but in G Gundam the excuse for them doesn't even make sense. Why force every single nation into an arbitrary deathmatch when you could just organize it between whichever colonies that happen to have a grudge over something at any given time?

Unicron
2015-08-09, 12:59 PM
I generally I hate tourney anime because it always boils down to "bland and generic shonen protagonist beats up characters more interesting than himself", but in G Gundam the excuse for them doesn't even make sense. Why force every single nation into an arbitrary deathmatch when you could just organize it between whichever colonies that happen to have a grudge over something at any given time?

It's not to settle grudges, it's to select which colony is the ruler for the next 4-ish years. To quote a thing from a different anime 'it's like a presidential election, but with fists'. I think theory being that the collateral damage from the assorted tourney fights is deemed more acceptable than what you would see in a full scale war. Plus it only wrecks parts of the Earth instead of the colonies, where all the important people live.

Ridiculous concept but hey, any excuse for giant robots to beat the crap out of each other, right?

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-08-09, 04:38 PM
I've been watching some of Marvel's recent animated series Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Avengers Assemble, and The Ultimate Spider-Man.

I got to admit that The Ultimate Spider-Man is the animated show that is probably the most fun except for the Deadpool episode because I hated Deadpool's voice.

I got a sense that both of the Avengers shows might (and then again they might have not) have been in the same universe but they didn't do as good job making sure it sure it lined up as well as Timm and company did on Justice League and Justice League Unlimited shows. I liked the characters designed and voice acting on Avengers Assembled second series, but the actually animation (you know when characters actually moved) looked cheap and lifeless as opposed to The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes which had solid animation. Both Thor and Captain America's classic looks didn't work for me. Jennifer Hale as Ms. Marvel was the best casting on both shows.

Tetsuro
2015-08-09, 07:28 PM
It's not to settle grudges, it's to select which colony is the ruler for the next 4-ish years. To quote a thing from a different anime 'it's like a presidential election, but with fists'. I think theory being that the collateral damage from the assorted tourney fights is deemed more acceptable than what you would see in a full scale war. Plus it only wrecks parts of the Earth instead of the colonies, where all the important people live.
And everyone just goes along with it because this was the best they could come up with, I'm just not buying it.

That's right, in a world where people have kung fu superpowers capable of taking down giant robots, it's the political angle that kills the suspension of disbelief for me.

Notabot
2015-08-15, 03:42 PM
I've been watching Twin Peaks for a few weeks now when the family isn't around. It's got some great stuff, and some really awful stuff. Parts of it are genuinely scary, and parts are like some really badly acted soap opera. One thing that it made me very aware of though... opening credits were ridiculously long back then! When I started the first episode, I had nearly finished my supper before the actual show started!

Tetsuro
2015-11-14, 04:21 PM
Okay, in the thread about the G1 cartoon, I brought up the subject of how it compares to the other cartoons of the era, and I think it was Dalek who pointed out the writing in cartoons got better in the 90's.

Well, I'm now watching Street Sharks (since for whatever reasons we never got a full DVD release of Biker Mice From Mars), and it has the exact opposite problem to what I complained about in that thread, about how the villains frequently fell victim to being written as a joke so they came off as less menacing and more a sorry bunch you just kind of felt sorry for.

In this one, the villain suffers from the "holy crap, somebody just beat this guy already" syndrome; he practically gets away with murder constantly, and the best the heroes manage to do is foil his latest plan but never wreck the villains high approval rating among the general populace. Unlike Lawrence Limburger, the big bad of the BMFM cartoon, he never even experiences the humiliation conga at the end of each episode on top of that. Hell, he even practically wins in a few episodes. Meanwhile all the titular heroes can do is maintain status quo at best - a status quo in which the popular opinion is that they're the villains.

It's a kind of frustrating thing to observe at length.

Skyquake87
2015-11-14, 06:36 PM
I had a couple of Street Sharks toys. They were actually pretty cool. Like with He-Man, Mattel did some nice packaging for them (painted images of other characters available on the back etc etc). Don't think the cartoon made it to the UK - or if it did, I wasn't paying attention. And judging by how cheaply I picked up the figures back then, neither was anyone else.

I've been watching the new Supergirl TV show. Its brilliant! Its so perky and energetic and like TV shows used to be, before everything got elongated to the point of bugger all happening for weeks end. Its such a fun little show that its kind of a shame that Sky haven't tried it on a Saturday tea-time. Instead, its on at 8pm on a Thursday.

Last series of Peep Show has also just started, so that's got my attention to. The ever excellent Tim Key pops up in the first episode :)

Hound
2015-11-15, 12:55 AM
I finished KR Agito and watched the first ever Sentai, called Goranger, and they were both really good. Well, I watched about half of Goranger, as it's only been about halfway subbed.

I'm now on to watching Kamen Rider V3, it's the second series. It's from the 70s and it shows but the lead is really good and I like that every story is in two parts, it breaks up the formula a bit.

Tetsuro
2015-11-15, 01:00 PM
I had a couple of Street Sharks toys. They were actually pretty cool. Like with He-Man, Mattel did some nice packaging for them (painted images of other characters available on the back etc etc). Don't think the cartoon made it to the UK - or if it did, I wasn't paying attention. And judging by how cheaply I picked up the figures back then, neither was anyone else.
I didn't own any of the toys; I think they came out right about the time I was deciding I was "too old for toys" or something...despite I habitually scrounge toy aisles to this day. Maybe it was my parents who decided I was too old for toys...

Skyquake87
2015-11-15, 02:03 PM
I picked them up when I was at college. I ended up with some right old rubbish from pound shops from around this time. Some Tyco (who they?) 12" mech-suits with various missile launchers that were piloted by 3" M.A.S.K. style figures, something from some TV show I'd never seen that looked like Hoarde Trooper, A couple of Batman : TAS figures (Harley Quinn and Catwoman - kind of wish I'd kept them, but the friggers wouldn't stand up) and two Gundam model kits (Epyon and uh, another one). The Street Sharks were nice, chunky toys. I liked the gimmick that pulling the fin on their backs made their mouths open and shut. I put the line's failure down to being the latest in a long line of Turtles rip-offs (c.f. Biker Mice From Mars, Bucky O'Hare, Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters etc etc)

Tetsuro
2015-11-15, 05:34 PM
It wasn't even the last, Extreme Dinosaurs was a spinoff of it.

It's kind of strange I don't even see beat up samples at flea markets anymore, they're not exactly something with a big collector base that would turn them all to ebay or it's equivalent.

Actually thinking back, I think the biggest reason I didn't want them was simply because I wasn't crazy about the style; even as TMNT came and went, I was still a TF kid to the core. Plus the cartoon wasn't broadcast here either; BMFM at least had that benefit.

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-11-15, 08:07 PM
I've been watching Xena: Warrior Princess on Netflix and for all it's faults it's just pure 100% fun. It's a show that knows what wants to be from episode 1 and gets there even in season 1 whereas some shows like any of Star Trek shows takes anywhere 1-4 seasons to find their direction Xena: Warrior Princess pretty knows what it is by the end of episode 1.

Some of the CGI special effects have aged very poorly especially in the first 3 or 4 seasons thankfully it's not used as much as other shows of the same time. IMHO the CGI on Xena is bad but nowhere near as bad as Babylon 5 is though. While some of the fights are poorly staged look stupid, although some really good like the ladder battle in the S1 episode "Callisto" is really good and could easily rival some Hong Kong martial arts films of the late 90s/early 00s though. The production values are good but not what great but they do seem to improve greatly in seasons 5 and 6.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-11-22, 11:07 PM
Netflix's Jessica Jones series is good.

Not as good as Daredevil, but still good. Ritter absolutely nails the essence of the character. Plus it's got that Australian chick from the first Transformers movie, but she's doing actual acting in this.

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-11-25, 04:39 PM
IMHO Jessica Jones is a lot better than Daredevil. The series is much better paced the supporting cast is used a lot better and David Tennant as Kilgrave is the best Marvel villain to date and was much more fun to watch than Kingpin who is just vastly over-rated gangster, and to be honest Kingpin is my one of my least favorite villains in any version of the Marvel Universe.

I liked the question of in a world where mind control exists who is responsible is it Kilgrave or the people he controlled? I liked that it tried to tackle rape and PTSD and showed the damage that Jones and Kilgrave both physical and mental leave in their wake and how Jones tries to deal with it. I liked that it introduced several new characters Luke Cage, Hellcat, Nuke (who maybe will become US Agent). I'm also glad it drag out her origin story across the whole damn season like Daredevil did. I loved the nods to The Avengers and other Marvel characters.

What I didn't like was the subplot of Carrie-Anne Moss' character getting trying to use Jones and later Kilgrave to get a better divorce settlement. It felt out of place and became to convoluted and mostly felt like padding even when it does come to ahead it didn't make me care for her character, her ex, or her girlfriend one way or the other. Also I don't know or care about Moss' sexuality but this is the second time I've seen her trying to play a lesbian and it's the second time she's where she is supposed to be sexy with her girlfriend she comes off as the exact opposite.

Plus this series didn't seem to be ashamed that it was a based on a comic book where Daredevil seemed to ashamed to be a be a comic book show.

Dead Man Wade
2015-11-25, 04:53 PM
Plus this series didn't seem to be ashamed that it was a based on a comic book where Daredevil seemed to ashamed to be a be a comic book show.

Um...what? You're gonna have to explain that one.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-11-25, 04:58 PM
Just ignore him dude.

Tetsuro
2015-11-26, 12:39 AM
At last, Batman! Yes, the one with Alan Napier! :D

I feel kind of silly about the fact that I actually got the fancy box set a whole year ago and it's taken me this long to actually start watching it. What was kind of funny was the first episode where Bruce Wayne lectures his guests about his parents being murdered by "dastardly criminals", and just the whole line, the way he delivers it, made me go "this is ridicilous!" - and then I remembered what I was watching.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-11-26, 08:52 AM
I bought myself that for Christmas last year.

I got maybe eight episodes in.

Tetsuro
2015-11-27, 05:12 AM
Never had the time or just learned the hard way it wasn't your type of show?

Brendocon 2.0
2015-11-27, 08:43 AM
Neither.

It was (obviously) never designed to be watched in more than one episode at a time. So I ended up with a horrific overdose.

inflatable dalek
2015-11-27, 03:12 PM
Yeah, it's a fantastic sitcom but not one to binge view (and it probably ran a little longer than the very ridged format would be ideal for). Fantastic show in occasional doses though, actually much funnier than I remembered as well.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-11-27, 04:06 PM
Yeah, it's great fun, but I hit the "seriously, I can't do this anymore" wall a lot faster than I'd hoped, then just never got back to it.

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-11-28, 02:59 PM
Um...what? You're gonna have to explain that one.

The tone of Daredevil was to me: "Oh look how serious, grim, dark, realistic, and hopeless we are!" The tone of Jessica Jones was to me: "Oh look how serious, grim, dark, realistic but we have hope!"

Just got through binge-watching Ultimate Spider-Man and the Web-Warriors season 3 pretty good overall.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-11-28, 04:12 PM
That's got nothing to do with "being ashamed of being based on a comic" and everything to do with the differences in tone between the books they're based on.

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-11-28, 10:33 PM
That's got nothing to do with "being ashamed of being based on a comic" and everything to do with the differences in tone between the books they're based on.

Good point, but I still it lacked a lot of the comic's charm.

Tetsuro
2015-11-29, 12:43 PM
The tone of Daredevil was to me: "Oh look how serious, grim, dark, realistic, and hopeless we are!"
That sounds more like a DC than Marvel thing.

Skyquake87
2015-11-29, 06:33 PM
Daredevil has been like this since the days when Frank Miller worked on the character, to greater or lesser degrees of success. Since the early 2000s, there's been a definite focus on real-world, street-level shenanigans, which most notably includes Murdock being outed as Daredevil and jailed. Something which seems to happen an awful lot these days. Up there with Batman forever going on about his dead parents.

Summerhayes
2015-11-29, 07:15 PM
It might just be me, but I didn't think Daredevil was as dark as all that.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-11-29, 07:36 PM
As with any character, it just comes down to who's writing him. Waid's stuff (or at least the first couple of trades, I'm quite a way behind on the material) is certainly lighter and more jovial.

But that came off the back of quite a long stretch of gritty misery, through Bendis and Brubaker, eventually culminating in Diggle's Shadowland stuff. By the end of that he was quite broken, but when he came out of the other side of it everything had a bit more positive energy to it.

There was still quite a bit of fun heartwarming stuff in the tv show. The main difference between the two programs is that Daredevil's origin is basically chronicling his descent into the world of crimefighting; while Jessica Jones has already done that and this is about her fighting her way out of the darkness that swallowed her as a result of it. As such there were always going to be the differences mentioned.

Dead Man Wade
2015-11-30, 07:43 PM
Good point, but I still it lacked a lot of the comic's charm.

Like when Matt pushed a hooker out a window? Or when Matt's porn star girlfriend sold his real name for smack? Or the time he played Russian roulette with an invalid Bullseye?

It's been a long time since DD was anything approaching "charming".

Warcry
2015-11-30, 10:19 PM
Since this hasn't quite been renamed the "argue about Daredevil" thread just yet, I'll mention the (decidedly non Marvel related) show that I just started watching: Penny Dreadful. I actually got the first season almost a year ago as a Christmas gift but I'm only getting around to watching it now.

Didn't know all that much about it going in, aside from that it was about monsters in Victorian England. So I was pleasantly surprised to see a bunch of "monster movie" characters from the era show up early on, like Dr. Frankenstein, Dorian Grey and Mina Harker. It was also a nice surprise to see a lot of familiar faces show up. I knew Eva Green and Josh Hartnett were in it, but I didn't expect to see M's bald henchman, Billie Piper or a shockingly old Timothy Dalton.

Overall I'm enjoying it quite a bit, although I could do with a bit less in the way of gratuitous cursing and exposed penises...

Brendocon 2.0
2015-11-30, 10:21 PM
Overall I'm enjoying it quite a bit, although I could do with a bit less in the way of gratuitous cursing and exposed penises...

That's just how we say hello over here, though.

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-12-01, 09:41 PM
Been watching the original The Twilight Zone still a damn good series.

inflatable dalek
2015-12-02, 09:39 AM
That's just how we say hello over here, though.

Only when greeting Eva Green, Billie Piper (how does Warcry know who she is anyway? I don't think he's ever watched an episode of Doctor Who and he doesn't strike me as a British 90's teen-pop fan. It's Secret Diary of a Call Girl isn't it?) and especially Timothy Dalton though.

Warcry
2015-12-02, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I'd probably have to resist the urge to greet Eva Green like that too, if the opportunity ever presented itself. Something tells me the wife wouldn't approve though.

Billie Piper (how does Warcry know who she is anyway? I don't think he's ever watched an episode of Doctor Who and he doesn't strike me as a British 90's teen-pop fan. It's Secret Diary of a Call Girl isn't it?)
I have seen some Doctor Who, actually! The CBC showed the first few seasons of the new series and I saw a good chunk of it (which also explains why I was so pleasantly surprised to see John Barrowman show up in The Flash last night). Haven't watched it in ages though, since it moved to some random cable channel.

Though yes, I am familiar with that other show as well. Or certain parts of it, anyway.

inflatable dalek
2015-12-04, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I'd probably have to resist the urge to greet Eva Green like that too, if the opportunity ever presented itself. Something tells me the wife wouldn't approve though.

Ah, but she's allowed to do the female equivalent to Josh Hartnett.

I mean, he was in an episode of Due South, that probably makes him king of Canada.

Warcry
2015-12-04, 04:00 PM
Ah, but she's allowed to do the female equivalent to Josh Hartnett.
I dunno, I suspect she might prefer Eva as well considering how interested she sounded when I made my "considering the other things we've seen her in, I wonder how long until she takes her clothes off" comment...

I mean, he was in an episode of Due South, that probably makes him king of Canada.
Wait, what? No he wasn't, unless IMDB is lying to me.

Also I don't think anybody actually remembers anything about Due South anymore except for Heinrad and my mom (and even the latter is doubtful).

inflatable dalek
2015-12-04, 04:08 PM
Wait, what? No he wasn't, unless IMDB is lying to me.

Also I don't think anybody actually remembers anything about Due South anymore except for Heinrad and my mom (and even the latter is doubtful).

I thought he was as a kid whose dad was a crook that Fraser took under his wing (it might even have been the Christmas episode!)? I'd trust my infallible memory over IMDB any day (it is odd he apparently did nothing before Halloween H20 and the Faculty. That's my story anyway. It may have been some other "Before they were famous" teen hearthrob in the Due South episode?

And of course Canadians remember Due South! It's up there with Albert Fennell and Brian Clemens Present The New Avengers In Canada as the best things Canada ever did.

Heinrad
2015-12-05, 05:24 AM
It wasn't Josh Hartnett. You're thinking Ryan Phillippe(or however it's spelled), and the episode is Gift of the Wheelman. Which, yes, is a Christmas episode.

The sad thing is, I'm not Canadian. So I have no clue about this New Avengers thing of which you speak.

Sades
2015-12-05, 05:33 AM
of course Canadians remember Due South!

Can confirm, am Canadian who remembers Due South. And now that I remembered it exists, I kinda want to watch it.

Plus, I just asked Hound if he's ever watched it and he said "No. I don't even know what that ****in' show is. Is it even real?" Which means I'm going to have to go DVD shopping.

(IMDB says (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0567038/) that guy you're talking about is Ryan Phillippe, whose name I had to cut and paste because I misspelt it twice.)

Warcry
2015-12-07, 05:44 AM
"considering the other things we've seen her in, I wonder how long until she takes her clothes off"
Episode five, as it turns out. I'm surprised it took that long, actually.

It wasn't Josh Hartnett. You're thinking Ryan Phillippe(or however it's spelled), and the episode is Gift of the Wheelman. Which, yes, is a Christmas episode.
Yeah, I figured you'd know if anyone did, Mr. "I know exactly how many stunt cars they blew up by heart." :)

Even more remarkable is the fact that I remember that conversation, which must have been a decade-plus ago by now. And now I can't help but wonder if we ever solved that age-old "find a way to make Stranglehold wear pants" quandary, which is an even stranger thing for me to remember...

Can confirm, am Canadian who remembers Due South. And now that I remembered it exists, I kinda want to watch it.
Me too, dammit. Jokes aside, honestly I don't remember much about it at all other than that Paul Gross was awesome.

Sades
2015-12-08, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I wonder if it will be one of those things that will be completely destroyed by a re-watch...

(apologies to Heinrad, whose post I somehow managed to miss completely when I posted the same thing he posted. :o )

Sades
2015-12-16, 05:05 AM
HBO is showing the entirety of Game of Thrones starting from tonight. First three eps tonight.

I think Bad Lip Reading has ruined me for these early episodes, I can't watch Robert Baratheon without thinking of frigging Medieval Land Fun-Time World.

5Krz-dyD-UQ

edit: This bunch sure does take life for granted despite all the spouting of the doom and gloom, don't they? "We'll talk when next we meet" etc... No, and no you won't.

Sades
2015-12-17, 06:09 AM
I'm on the 6th episode, I can't remember if this is the horrid killing babies episode or not.

... Though I'm pretty sure that comes a whole lot later.

"A Golden Crown" . Oh, shit, this is the one where that annoying dragon guy bites it. Awesomesauce.

HeavyArms
2015-12-19, 01:30 PM
Finally finishing off Arrow S2 after a 2-3 month hiatus, currently on the episode where Team Arrow is trying to take down the Deathstroke Army.

inflatable dalek
2016-01-19, 07:23 AM
I've been getting back into 60's Batman over the last week. The tailend of season 2 feels a bit tired, especially the Other Riddler story.

On the other hand, the Catwoman in Collage story revealed the...interesting way she walks down a staircase:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/status/689187965973737472

Even beyond that (and Julie Newmar was rather stunning) I really enoyed that story, it felt a lot sharper than the show had been for a while with lots of meta jokes about it being a Hollywood TV show; Alfred in the Batcostume (they've done it a few times now, but it's hilarious Every Single Time) and Catwoman's incredibly scathing summing up of Robin when trying to convince Batman they should work together instead ("He's a little dull, all "Holy this" and "Holy that"", made even funnier by Robin being Very Proud earlier in the story with having come up with a especially contrived one).

Skyquake87
2016-01-19, 07:47 PM
I'm watching War & Peace loosely based on the ginormous book by Tolstoy as adapted by Andrew "More Sex Please" Davies, along with Lucy Worsley's proper history of the Romanovs on BBC 4 (which contains many silly for no reason bits where the lisping historian mimics the poses of paintings). W&P is alright, but it seems to be walloping along at a right old pace which seems at odds with the source material and the times. Its like 'what if the C19th was happening right now?'.

Auntie Slag
2016-01-19, 07:54 PM
I've started watching Battlestar Galactica because its available for pennies these days (the 2004 update). Gaius Baltar is easily the best thing in it, the rest feel like forgettable stereotypes. Even though he hams it up something rotten, without him I wouldn't bother carrying on with it.

I've only watched The Plan and half of the first season so far. I missed the entire thing when it was on TV the first time round.

inflatable dalek
2016-01-19, 08:00 PM
Watching The Plan first basically ruins half the show for you.

Auntie Slag
2016-01-19, 08:06 PM
I bought the first and second series initially. Got four episodes in and it was bludgeoning me with all the stuff that had happened pre-Season one i.e. Gaius' dodgy backstory. So I found this webpage (http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/battlestar-galactica-viewing-order.html) that lists the viewing order.

I'm pretty sure the good guys will win. Or the bad guys; nothing will ever be the same again, this is not your Father's Autobot blah blah etc.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-01-19, 08:29 PM
I bought the first and second series initially. Got four episodes in and it was bludgeoning me with all the stuff that had happened pre-Season one

Yeah, you need to have watched the 2003 mini series first, as per that website's order.

Anybody starting with season 1 is going to have no idea what's going on.

The Plan was done after season 4 concluded and basically retells seasons 1 and 2 from the other perspective, so hopefully that isn't what you've watched.

inflatable dalek
2016-01-19, 08:39 PM
Ah yeah, the Mini Series isn't included in the UK season 1 set is it? I'd forgotten that.

And oh Slag, calling it the wrong name just to make me despair, you scamp you. Even beyond it basically being a clip show with new clips, the Plan is quite bad as well and so I'd suggest leaving it till last and then only if you're really interested.

Auntie Slag
2016-01-19, 08:42 PM
Ooh feck, I realised my mistake! I shouldn't have said The Plan in my first post. I meant the mini-series, sorry Dalek. It didn't click why you said what you said... Yeah, I definitely should have said 'the mini-series', not The Plan.

Haven't bought The Plan, that's for later unless the writing in Hollyoaks take a massive upturn.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-01-19, 08:46 PM
Stand down the memory wipe.

Skyquake87
2016-01-20, 10:18 PM
I've just watched an amazing doc on BBC 2 about a small Welsh town that engages in the sort of aggressive tax avoidance practised by all our favourite multi-nationals in the hope that our feckless politicians will change tax law to make it a fairer playing field for big and small businesses.

Currently watching The Comic Strip Presents which is NEW and about the phone hacking scandal.

ganon578
2016-01-20, 11:09 PM
Watching Star Wars: Rebels as the second half of Season 2 kicks in tonight (good lord this trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJyxPDEvo9U) got me excited!) so I'll watch that with the kids.

Otherwise, the wife and I have been keeping up with the second season of Galavant as is airs. It's pretty ace.

Cyberstrike nTo
2016-01-21, 08:20 PM
I watched Agent Carter: Season One last night.

Skyquake87
2016-01-21, 08:28 PM
Its alright is Agent Carter. I liked it. Its like Supergirl, a bit of fluff that's amiable enough.

inflatable dalek
2016-01-21, 08:30 PM
I'm trying to think of a way of saying Hayley Atwell is awesome that wouldn't make me sound like some sort of disgusting pervert.

Skyquake87
2016-01-21, 08:31 PM
How about "Hayley Atwell is awesome." Because she is.

..see, its all in the delivery :)

Cyberstrike nTo
2016-01-22, 01:08 PM
I just watched the 9th season of this old BBC show called Dr. Who :D
Overall it was OK. I think "the cynical old bastard Doctor" is a better fit for Peter Capaldi than "trying to be like Matt Smith" however I like the more whimsical big kid Matt Smith Doctor than "the cynical old bastard Doctor" it's just that Smith IMHO did that a lot better and it felt more natural than Capaldi tries it.

I do think overall the direction of the story arc with the Hybrid of season 9 was the best of Moffat's reign, and while Moffat as probably overstayed his welcome as the showrunner and probably should have left with Smith, he still is a damn good writer with a wild imagination.

Sades
2016-01-26, 03:07 AM
Watching Toy Story with the young one, mainly because someone left a copy of 3 in the car so we watched some of it on the way into the city.

When she first saw Buzz, she was like "WOAHHH, COOOOOL!" :lol:

Cliffjumper
2016-01-26, 10:00 AM
Yeh, we're on a Pixar loop whenever we're not watching Paw Patrol. I can live, though I have had to lose A Bug's Life and Inside Out's been a bit of a disappointment. Aria's mainly latched onto Slink from Toy Story, despite him only being in all three for a combined ten minutes.

On the other hand numerous rewatches have only served to reaffirm that The Incredibles is the finest superhero film ever by some considerable margin - the second the Marvel Boxoffice Universe manages anything with half the power of Mr. Incredible realising Syndrome's been using the robots to kill basically every other hero on the planet I might admit that it's not just CGI opium preying on society's nose-diving intelligence.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-01-26, 10:14 AM
Bleh. I love them for what they are. Even if I nearly fell asleep during Age of Ultron and Ant-Man was just the first Iron Man film again.

Though as much as I heart Iron Man 3, Winter Soldier and Guardians, the Netflix output pisses all over the films in a way that isn't even close to being funny. And not in an "OMG mature content" way that a thirteen year old might tell you, but in an "OMG actual coherent character-based storytelling" way.

BUT ANYWAY. I have been alternating between seasons of Dexter and Californication. They are solid entertainment. As soon as Netflix pull their finger out and stick season 4 of Suits online I will also be watching that.

Skyquake87
2016-02-11, 09:45 PM
I've been watching Siblings, which is ace. On BBC3 - all of series 2 is available on iPlayer (if you're quick). Worth checking out before the enforced decamp online for the channel. Its a slightly horrible but funny flat share comedy about Hannah and her brother Dan (just released from prison - no reason given, but I dread to think) and their misadventures. Good stuff :)

Been catching up on Walking Dead too, which remains ace.

Cliffjumper
2016-02-11, 10:42 PM
Up to about season 4 of Archer (the one with the Pope who looks like Woodhouse) and it's still preposterously amazing.

Dabbling in Moonbeam City, which is a sort of eighties Archer. Not quite as sharp because the focus is so much more narrow but still not bad.

Denyer
2016-02-12, 12:06 AM
I've been watching Siblings, which is ace. On BBC3 - all of series 2 is available on iPlayer (if you're quick).

5/6 at time of writing. Sure I can find the first elsewhere though. Will take the recommendation... generally a bit cautious with new sitcoms, although have enjoyed Bad Education, Some Girls and even the bit of Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps they had on there a while ago, none of which I was really expecting to initially.

Sades
2016-02-12, 08:22 PM
I need a British person to come to Canada, go to the Family Channel Toronto HQ, and annex the Teletubbies and Twirlywoos back from them. (Well, at the very least, the Teletubbies).

I will pay you half your weight in mostly-dead houseplants.

... Oh, I am looking forward to the return of GoT. Yay. Providing it's on at a time when I can actually watch it.

EDIT: OH, OH. Also, Netflix is reviving Gilmore Girls (http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/01/gilmore-girls-netflix-everything-we-know). So, uh, if I can find a way to watch that, I'll be doing it.

Sades
2016-02-27, 08:14 PM
So we're all sitting around, eating oranges, watching Pokemon.

SURE, BROCK, JUST LEAVE ALL YOUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND YOUR GYM WITH YOUR DEADBEAT DAD AND GO OFF ON A POKEMON JOURNEY, IT'S FINE.

Patapsco
2016-02-27, 09:12 PM
Better Brock than Tracey, I could not stand that guy

Sades
2016-02-27, 10:27 PM
I barely remember Tracey. I'd stopped paying attention by then. In fact I completely forgot he existed until I read your comment.

Patapsco
2016-02-27, 10:32 PM
Unfortunately, Tracey took Brock's place in Pokemon 2000 aka The Best Pokemon Movie

Sades
2016-02-28, 12:21 AM
Whose idea was it to put the edit and the quote buttons right next to each other?!? :o

Unfortunately, Tracey took Brock's place in Pokemon 2000 aka The Best Pokemon Movie

The first one got me a Mew card (or was it a Mewtwo card? Can't be bothered to look it up) and a fond memory of sibling bonding so I beg to differ! But we are all entitled to our own opinions, so is all good.

Denyer
2016-02-28, 01:01 AM
Whose idea was it to put the edit and the quote buttons right next to each other?!? :o
Yeah, I've ****ed that up before now... but they are at least quite wide.

X-Files, Lucifer and Elementary.

Warcry
2016-02-28, 06:42 AM
I just finished watching the new X-Files episodes, and I'm left with some mixed feelings.

I'll happily admit that I don't remember the last few seasons of the original show all that well, but it's hard to forget that it ended with a threat of alien genocide that apparently never happened, whoever Adam Baldwin worked for working really hard to kill the protagonists and Smoking Man a fugitive from them as well. The new series seems to retcon all of that so that Mulder and Scully can be free to take their old jobs back while Smokey is secretly running the world again. I mean, that's an effort to bring back something of the feel of the early days of the old series when it was actually good, and I don't blame them for that, but it's a bit confusing. But on top of that they seem to be rewriting the conspiracy mythos so that it was all humans all along with no aliens involved after the initial ship crash. That's...problematic, because even though I don't remember the original series all that well, there were definitely blatant ****ing aliens wandering around for nine years, sewing their faces shut, setting each other on fire, making hybrids and killing air force test pilots who dressed up in Grey costumes. Saying "LOL not really" means...what? None of that ever happened? It was all a show purely to distract Mulder from the real-this-time-we-promise conspiracy? Nah, screw that. It just reeks of creators who are a bit ashamed of the oh-so-90s alien invasion plot and desperately wanted to modernize it into a more generic "government is bad" conspiracy instead. With all of that going on, the episodes that deal with the "myth arc" wind up a mess. Bad plotting and Mulder blindly accepting everything that Knockoff Alex Jones has to say (I mean, even moreso than he usually would) make them even worse, and drive those episodes into downright awful territory. They felt like the random ravings of a 4chan conspiracy nut, not the believable in their own universe plots that made X-Files so popular.

So I was really ready to hate this after the first episode, but the "problem" (if you want to call it that) is that only two of the six episodes were really plot-heavy. The other four were more-or-less self-contained, and each of them were great. The trash golem episode would have been at home in any season of the original. The were-monster might well have been the funniest thing this show has ever produced (yes, even funnier than the classic ep that had Alex Trebek and Jesse Ventura as men in black). The terrorism episode managed to be topical without being preachy. And the episode with the genetically-engineered kids really hit me hard (as did the subplot of Scully's regret over giving up their kid), probably due to being a new parent myself. The local sci-fi network did a "best of" run of episodes from the first series before the new one started, and IMO none of these four would be out of place in that company.

When they sat down and tried to bang out standalone one-hour stories, they hit them all out of the park. But when they tried to add to the old series' big meta-plot, the results were just dire. So I'm not sure how I feel about the effort as a whole. I did enjoy it, but at the same time it could have been a lot better if they'd just played to their strengths.

All of which sounds exactly like what I remember from the original series, actually, so I really shouldn't be surprised.

inflatable dalek
2016-02-29, 09:11 PM
X-Files!

The problem I had wasn't so much them ignoring the last few seasons as much as possible (I like them, but the series itself had no faith in its new leads at the time despite them being perfectly capable. It's hardly surprising that era is either ignored or given a massive **** off as happens to Monica here), but they were redoing stuff from the "Classic" era. The big ongoing plot of season 5 is Mulder giving up on his belief in aliens and deciding it was all humans behind it all.

Amazingly, the twist is there actually are aliens.

You'd have thought someone would have remembered that.

The season finale I actually didn't mind despite this, there was a nice air of apocalyptic tension to it despite the unlikely fact that whilst all services were collapsing, mobile networks were still working. Cheeky ending though considering no more was guaranteed.

The standalone episodes were mostly solid, though I can understand why people were pissed at the Muslim terrorist one (though for me it seemed to be saying right wing American extremists were as bad. A Fox show doing a Optimus Primal hosted Fox News spoof as part of the problem was pretty bold).

The werelizard one was by far and away the best of course.

Cyberstrike nTo
2016-03-02, 05:47 PM
Supergirl continues to be one of the best superhero series currently made.

Agent Carter season 2 is a fun series.

Patapsco
2016-03-02, 07:20 PM
I'm rewatching The Wire for the fifth or sixth time, which would also explain why I basically watch next to no other TV, even Breaking Bad. I mean, it's all going to be downhill from there

Cyberstrike nTo
2016-03-05, 12:22 PM
Fuller House season 1 on Netflix. It's the continuation of Full House and the premise is pretty much the same as the original: DJ Tanner-Fuller is a widowed single mother with 3 boys, pre-teen/teenage Jackson, 6 year old Max, and baby Tommy, who's trying to raise her sons with help from her single party girl sister Stephanie and her best friend Kimmie and her daughter Ramona.

The women deal with relationships and jobs the kids deal with school and typical kid stuff. So yeah the stories always contrived and extra sweet, the characters are inconsistent, and the jokes are sometimes a little risque, meta, and some of them are so bad they're good. Just like the original series. I liked it and think it's a good show.

HeavyArms
2016-03-12, 11:12 AM
Finally finished Chuck, which took entirely far too long to do, now I'm switching between the 80's/90's Ninja Turtles cartoon and Marvel's Avengers Assemble.

I'm halfway through Avengers Assemble and it's not as bad as some forums have made it out to be. Yes, it's a bit childish with the humor, but it's not grating on my nerves. My thoughts are also similar for Ultimate Spider-Man compared to what I've heard from other forums.

Tetsuro
2016-03-12, 02:12 PM
So we're all sitting around, eating oranges, watching Pokemon.

SURE, BROCK, JUST LEAVE ALL YOUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND YOUR GYM WITH YOUR DEADBEAT DAD AND GO OFF ON A POKEMON JOURNEY, IT'S FINE.
"Why can't you drop out of school and become a pokemon trainer like all your friends!?"

Do any of the kids in the show ever go to school that doesn't involve pokemon somehow?

Cyberstrike nTo
2016-03-19, 11:33 PM
Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl

Sades
2016-03-20, 12:04 AM
"Why can't you drop out of school and become a pokemon trainer like all your friends!?"

Do any of the kids in the show ever go to school that doesn't involve pokemon somehow?

I don't think anyone in that show does anything that isn't related to dog fighting Pokemon somehow.

(the grammar in this sentence doesn't seem right and it's bugging me but I'm brain-tired right now and I'm just going to leave it. Meh.)

I'll bet their toilets are all shaped like Gyarados.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-03-20, 02:34 PM
So that's season 2 of Daredevil done.

Will use spoiler tags out of respect for your inability to prioritise stuff like this over sleep, family or whatever your half-arsed excuses are.

A good watch, but nowhere near the level of the first season.

Obviously a lot of what made season 1 so amazing was how the narrative got so deep into not only the characters of Murdock and Nelson, but Fisk as well; while also seeding elements like the Hand into the background without over-relying on them.

With season 2 we already know everybody's backstory, and with Fisk out of the picture we need something new and compelling to drive the story. It's the old saying about how superhero stuff is only as good as the villain, and here the villain is The Hand, brought to the forefront of the narrative. When your bad guy is an army of mute ninjas, they need to be represented in-story by someone interesting and charismatic. And they're just not. Sure you can get some excellent action sequences out of it, but there's just no emotional investment there.

Elektra's portrayal is pretty much bang-on what it is in the comics. Ie an impulsive ninja chick whose entire characterisation has always stopped dead beyond being an impulsive ninja chick. So that sort of drains momentum from the story as it progresses too.

I don't think this is necessarily the fault of the showrunners. The problem with doing Daredevil is that, sooner or later, everybody expects you to bring in Elektra. The first season did a great job of ignoring her beyond a line about "that Greek girl from college", but the longer it goes on without her, the more people would get edgy about why she's not in it. Bringing her in now gets it out of the way, but also commits to The Hand. As I say, it's a plot they'd need to have done eventually, but it's really hard to make it compelling on its own when you've got an army of mutes being run (next season) by a dull cliché.

Fortunately we've got Frank Castle to keep things interesting. Which is a good thing because we need something else going on. Bernthal is excellent, though his role is more of a B-plot than we probably expected, but at least it serves to have something going on, and I think it resolves in a satisfying way. I'd been concerned going in that with Punisher and Elektra being introduced it might end up being overload, but if anything it works out the other way round, with Punisher relatively underexposed and Elektra sucking the life out of everything she touches.

But it's not enough to raise the season to anywhere near the heights of the first one. The ending we all, of course, knew was coming and doesn't necessarily fill me with hope that the main problem with the Hand will be resolved moving forward. But still, a solid watch and I'm looking forward to Cage.

Cyberstrike nTo
2016-03-20, 09:22 PM
So that's season 2 of Daredevil done.

Will use spoiler tags out of respect for your inability to prioritise stuff like this over sleep, family or whatever your half-arsed excuses are.

A good watch, but nowhere near the level of the first season.

Obviously a lot of what made season 1 so amazing was how the narrative got so deep into not only the characters of Murdock and Nelson, but Fisk as well; while also seeding elements like the Hand into the background without over-relying on them.

With season 2 we already know everybody's backstory, and with Fisk out of the picture we need something new and compelling to drive the story. It's the old saying about how superhero stuff is only as good as the villain, and here the villain is The Hand, brought to the forefront of the narrative. When your bad guy is an army of mute ninjas, they need to be represented in-story by someone interesting and charismatic. And they're just not. Sure you can get some excellent action sequences out of it, but there's just no emotional investment there.

Elektra's portrayal is pretty much bang-on what it is in the comics. Ie an impulsive ninja chick whose entire characterisation has always stopped dead beyond being an impulsive ninja chick. So that sort of drains momentum from the story as it progresses too.

I don't think this is necessarily the fault of the showrunners. The problem with doing Daredevil is that, sooner or later, everybody expects you to bring in Elektra. The first season did a great job of ignoring her beyond a line about "that Greek girl from college", but the longer it goes on without her, the more people would get edgy about why she's not in it. Bringing her in now gets it out of the way, but also commits to The Hand. As I say, it's a plot they'd need to have done eventually, but it's really hard to make it compelling on its own when you've got an army of mutes being run (next season) by a dull cliché.

Fortunately we've got Frank Castle to keep things interesting. Which is a good thing because we need something else going on. Bernthal is excellent, though his role is more of a B-plot than we probably expected, but at least it serves to have something going on, and I think it resolves in a satisfying way. I'd been concerned going in that with Punisher and Elektra being introduced it might end up being overload, but if anything it works out the other way round, with Punisher relatively underexposed and Elektra sucking the life out of everything she touches.

But it's not enough to raise the season to anywhere near the heights of the first one. The ending we all, of course, knew was coming and doesn't necessarily fill me with hope that the main problem with the Hand will be resolved moving forward. But still, a solid watch and I'm looking forward to Cage.

The problem is that the season 2 has two storylines that each alone would have been as a main story. The Elektra story would have been better as a season 3 either setting up the Hand and Nobu (who is the closest thing this season has a villain). I found The Punisher's origin story really boring because, (like Daredevil in season 1) they drug it out over the whole season, they tried to make it way too convoluted (the Punisher's origin is always screwed up in other media). Overall I liked it better than the first season because it moved and I liked the characterization of Matt, Foggy, and Karen better.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-03-20, 09:33 PM
Not sure quoting my entire post was strictly necessary, given it's just a block of white, but each to their own...

Tetsuro
2016-03-21, 04:07 AM
Code Geass.

I'd been recommended this show in the past, but after seeing some weird youtube comment war between Legend of Galactic Heroes fans and Geass fans, I had to see for myself how similar they're supposed to be...

...well, turns out, if I wasn't deliberately looking for similarities, I probably wouldn't even notice them. There's the aristocracy, there's the chess master protagonist who seeks to change the system, but other than that, they're almost nothing alike.

There is an unintentionally hilarious sequence where the main character's mind control ability goes out of control and he accidentally commands his erstwhile friend to commit genocide. It's supposed to be dramatic, but her cheerful disposition combined with scenes of her just blazing into the crowd with a machine gun makes it difficult to take seriously.

Skyquake87
2016-03-21, 08:48 PM
I've been watching DC's Legends Of Tomorrow, if only to cheer on Arthur Darville. Its a bit breathless and has a set up not too dissimilar to Doctor Who, although I know little about the source material, which is probably of a similar vintage. I'd put it in the same bracket as Supergirl; watchable fluff better suited to Saturday teatime viewing than 8pm in a mid-week slot.

Finished watching Stag, which was ace. If horrific. And Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle is back on! Hooray! so been watching that also :)

Cyberstrike nTo
2016-03-21, 11:22 PM
I've been watching DC's Legends Of Tomorrow, if only to cheer on Arthur Darville. Its a bit breathless and has a set up not too dissimilar to Doctor Who, although I know little about the source material, which is probably of a similar vintage. I'd put it in the same bracket as Supergirl; watchable fluff better suited to Saturday teatime viewing than 8pm in a mid-week slot.

I love how Rip Hunter looks like Captain Jack wearing the 10th Doctor's coat. But yeah it's basically DC superheroes meet Doctor Who. Plus there is are the obvious in-jokes is that Alex Kingston's character on Arrow (whose character is the mother of the Canary sisters) is a professor and John Barrowman's character becomes Ra's al Ghoul for a while who is basically semi-immortal.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-03-22, 09:12 PM
Now it's finished and I can do it in one hit (or maybe two), I've started the new season of the X-Files.

There's some "fun" synchronicity in the fact that it opens in exactly the same way that season 9 concluded. Specifically Mulder standing about explaining large parts of the plot while I sit about bored.

Episode 3 was good though.

[EDIT] Finished it now. Overall not terrible but not entirely sure it was worth the time or effort.

Cyberstrike nTo
2016-03-30, 03:39 PM
Supergirl episode "Worlds' Finest" was simply the best 45 minutes of superhero TV made in the last 5 years.

Hound
2016-03-30, 03:45 PM
What show is better than it prior to 2011?

Cyberstrike nTo
2016-03-30, 03:49 PM
What show is better than it prior to 2011?

Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited.

Cyberstrike nTo
2016-05-01, 12:58 AM
I'm currently watching Dark Matter a Canadian sci-fi show on Netflix. It's basically about 6 people wake up on damaged spaceship with no memories of their past lives but they each retain their skill sets, they call themselves One, Two, Three, Four, Five, and Six based on the order they wake up. There is also a female android on board the ship who attacks them but they disable her and the damage she got has wiped most of her memory as well.

The crew learn that they are dangerous outlaws with huge bounties on their heads and the law constantly chasing them, so they take job from criminals and intergalactic corporations, Two learns that she is more human, and one of the crew is a spy and/or traitor who sells them out.

It's basically Firefly with the crew had no memories. The special effects and production designs are good. The actors do a good job but it's hard not to compare them to Firefly. There are some great twists and some great humor.

It's worth a look.

Sades
2016-05-02, 05:37 AM
GoT:

Aaaaaaand of course she did.

I was kind of hoping he would stay dead, but TWOTW had spoileriffic images posted on their website before the season even started. So I sort of knew, though I was playing the skeptic and thinking they might be flashbacks or something of that nature.

He's not technically bound to the Night's Watch now though, is he? I'm interested in these developments.

Tetsuro
2016-05-02, 02:38 PM
The Archie Show.

Yes, that Archie show. I've yet to see them perform "Sugar Sugar", but it's pretty much exactly what I would expect from a cartoon based on the Archie comic - the sixties Archie comic at that. And boy, is this cartoon sixties or what.

Sades
2016-05-09, 08:37 AM
Stayed up late to catch the second showing of GoT, since we got in late from birthday stuff and I forgot all about it the first time around.

Blah blah blah, Dany. The entire thing felt like a lot of filler for the Jon Snow stuff. Which I totally (well, partially) called, BTW. Could have done without the gratuitous shot of Olly's hung face however. Any of the hung faces, gah.

I had more to add but it's late and I have school in the AM. I'm a moron for staying up this late to begin with. Zzzz.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-09, 08:25 PM
Season 11 of It's Always Sunny is on Netflix so that's basically my life whenever I've a spare fifty minutes.

Patapsco
2016-05-09, 08:31 PM
Watched the Hillsborough documentary on BBC 2 last night (it's on the iplayer) which was originally broadcast in America two years ago but had to be shelved due to the ongoing inquest. But everyone should watch it, and I do mean everyone

Sades
2016-05-16, 06:37 AM
I haven't been this enthusiastic about TV in a long time. It's fun. Adjusting to having to wait a week to see the next episode, though? Not fun.

I wish I knew more people into watching the TV show. Hound is a full book behind so he's not watching the show at all.

Protip: Watch this one in a dark room.

GoT:

YAY SANSA. I started out not liking her. But she's so obviously evolved beyond the spoiled brat that I can't help it now; I am totally on team Sansa. Moreso than Arya. I'm going to be sad if Sansa dies. Also Brienne. Tormund giving Brienne the eye amused me.

Jon Snow: Off to save Rickon and Winterfell now, hey? Okay. Looking forward to that, liking the tension happening within his allies, it's all good. I've been curious as to what was going to happen with Rickon so I'm a little annoyed he wasn't in this one.

Isn't Ramsay a proper evil little ****?

Littlefinger: That smarmy **** is doing what he does best. All right.

High Sparrow: I like him. But that entire thing going on there is not really that interesting to me. Feels like its dragging a bit imo.

Dany: Well isn't she just a magical little snowflake. Though at this point I've kind of run out of things to say. "This should be interesting", more or less.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-16, 04:37 PM
Yay for an episode with nothing from Dorne,

Am hoping they just quietly drop that entire subplot without further comment because nobody ****ing cares.

Sades
2016-05-16, 09:48 PM
The Sand Snakes are a bit of a disappointment. But I'm still hopeful.

... I'm not even sure that's a spoiler. Oh well.

Patapsco
2016-05-16, 11:18 PM
I'm perfectly happy if every episode from here on out drops at least one scene which equates to D&D giving the double middle finger to the book lovers. Still, this was another strong episode in a run of them, though I don't know where any of this is going

Sades
2016-05-16, 11:49 PM
I'm perfectly happy if every episode from here on out drops at least one scene which equates to D&D giving the double middle finger to the book lovers. Still, this was another strong episode in a run of them, though I don't know where any of this is going

The only change that really annoyed me was the Sand Snakes (and maybe magic Dany, depending). Also show Arya is a bit annoying. But I can accept them; imo it would get a bit boring if the show followed the book too closely.

I think I'd be more happy if the show was a little longer. This last episode was good, but it felt really packed.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-17, 10:09 AM
Yeah there've been enough major changes in regards to events and characters being flat-out omitted that I'm perfectly fine with alterations at the moment. We're in full-blown alternate continuity cartoon vs comic territory here. If any of this does spoil Winds of Winter it's only going to be in a peripheral way.

Only annoys me when the alterations leave us with something completely terrible. Like throwing out every interesting aspect of the Dorne stuff in favour of generic yawn psuedo-badass stuff.

Regarding pacing, this week's episode was still a full hour. Given that other eps were maybe only about 50 minutes, I think they could do a better job of redistributing plot developments a bit. We get 45 minutes where not much really happens, then an hour crammed full of plot. Really uneven.

Sades
2016-05-18, 02:16 AM
Regarding pacing, this week's episode was still a full hour. Given that other eps were maybe only about 50 minutes, I think they could do a better job of redistributing plot developments a bit. We get 45 minutes where not much really happens, then an hour crammed full of plot. Really uneven.

I haven't even been paying attention to the length of the things beyond "around an hour". :o Didn't even realise.

Does anyone do fan theories? The one that I like is that Jon is the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. Could be, it makes sense to me.

Skyquake87
2016-05-18, 06:48 PM
I wish I could remember everyone's names so I could have fan theories. Half the time, I'm just hoping a character I like doesn't get bumped off the next time I tune in (although this does make for a refreshing change).

I feel the same about the Walking Dead. I get deeply engrossed watching it and am thinking 'ffffff***ing hellllll' throughout most of it and then I forget what's been going on and who's who beyond crossbow dude, man with the stick, Sheriff Egg, Maggie and that kid who's clearly up to no good (I'm still part way through season 6 so shhhhh no spoilers!!!)

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-18, 07:04 PM
I haven't even been paying attention to the length of the things beyond "around an hour". :o Didn't even realise.

I only know because I have to squeeze them in before work on a Monday morning (so I can, y'know, actually go online at some point during the day), so the runtime is probably a far bigger factor for me...

Hound
2016-05-20, 06:19 AM
While browsing Youtube I happened upon videos of Mock the Week. These are ****ing brilliant. Mostly it's been unedited/uncensored sort of outtakes stuff so I can't speak to the quality of the broadcast version but I love it.

Also judging from the material these are episodes from about 5-10 years ago. Is this show still on and is it still good?

Oh, and Frankie Boyle is awesome.

Skyquake87
2016-05-21, 03:14 PM
It is still very good, although seems to have settled into re-using the same comedians. Frankie Boyle is long gone, sadly. He was censored once too often and so has left. He still does stand up, and after a short-lived series on Channel 4 and a stint writing a column for The Sun newspaper, he now writes for the Guardian And has an enormous beard.

Hound
2016-05-21, 03:53 PM
Well to be fair 90% of what Frankie Boyle says he has to expect can't be broadcast. He's hilarious but he doesn't appear to be even trying to say things that are appropriate.

HeavyArms
2016-05-22, 04:41 AM
Been slowly getting back into the 80's/90's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon, for some reason I've been holding off on it for a couple months now, it probably doesn't help that the DVDs are packed with three to four hours of episodes.

Hound
2016-05-22, 05:32 AM
It's awful though isn't it? Couple of years back I caught a couple of episodes on TV and found it unbearable...

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-22, 10:47 AM
I watched seasons 1 and 2 last year and, whilst it is definitely a bit naff, I found that once I just embraced the rubbishness I did really enjoy it.

Some good satire and self-awareness in there.

That said, I have no desire whatsoever to watch the rest of the series.

inflatable dalek
2016-05-22, 11:00 AM
Has David Wise commented on the internal logic of the show?

Patapsco
2016-05-22, 02:43 PM
I've been binging back through A Town Called Eureka and boy that show still holds up and never got as big as it should be. And it's a shame that out of all the geek shows, The Big Bang Theory gets all the press while this gets resigned to the dumpster of history

Sades
2016-05-22, 04:49 PM
I'm kind of on the fence about BBT. I think it can be funny, but I feel the whole show in general is kind of insulting to the audience it "represents". At the same time though, it helped move the genre into the mainstream. And at the end of the day it's a sitcom, they're supposed to be a little over the top. Not saying I don't enjoy it.

(I'm still a little annoyed by what they did with Stewart, though. He started out really normal, and I liked that, but since it's a sitcom he had to become an exaggerated caricature like everyone else.)

I'm interested in Eureka. I read a little about it, I might have to look for this show. Sounds interesting.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-22, 05:03 PM
I really enjoyed the first half dozen or so seasons of Big Bang. Whilst I should hate it for everything it is, it always seemed to be done with so much affection that I couldn't help but find it charming.

But it got to the point where it descended into, as said, an exaggerated caricature of itself. Either through character decay (Stewart) or complete lack of any form of character growth or development whatsoever. I mean sure, a couple of them have gotten married, but you can't tell me they wouldn't have done that in episode 1 if the option had been there for them.

And yeah, sure, the key tenet of any situation comedy is that the characters can't escape the situation and are stuck with it... but that just doesn't apply to any of them.

It's just... somewhere along the line the affection seemed to blur into condescension. Unless that was always there and I just didn't notice it. Eventually anything formulaic that becomes popular just ends up devolving into the formula itself in order to play it safe. Lowest common denominator, etc, etc.

But hey ho. Probably why I stopped watching. That was the simplest way of dealing with the problem.

Sades
2016-05-23, 04:18 AM
So I turn the TV on, about 45 mins till GoT. Great. I'll find something to watch in the meantime. Look at the TV guide... "Mythbusters" on the iChannel. Cool! I'll watch Mythbusters till GoT is on.

Turn to the channel... it's a bunch of raw dog food propaganda. Some lady starts talking and making raw dog food out of ground meat. Cue confused. Another lady starts talking, and the program runs a banner with her name, along with an image with the program's name on it... "Dog Food Mythbusters".

http://i.imgur.com/MJigeJl.gif (NSFW language gif)

GoT conflicts with Preacher, not waiting till the repeat. Will watch (Preacher) another time.

Sades
2016-05-23, 07:30 AM
Hodor? Hodor. Hodor Hodor Hodor. :(

I was busy making snacks so I missed something like the first five or so minutes, I think. I walked in on Sansa and Littlefinger talking. I missed most of what they were talking about though, pretty sure she let him live? Thaaaaat's probably a mistake.

I love the little bits of comic relief that the Tormund/Brienne thing is providing right now.

Yara/Asha FTW. But not anytime soon, from the looks of it. In a wild moment of hope I imagined that maybe the show would let her win the kingsmoot, but I knew that probably wasn't going to happen. Interested to see where that goes. Hopefully somewhere a little less dark, and blue.

Finally Arya's doing something other than being blind and waving sticks around.

That was a nice transition there, btw. Boobs to grab your attention, and then... some dude's balls and penis fills the screen. Perfect.

I can't decide if I like Dany or am annoyed by her. I think it's a little of both. On the one hand, she's got some cool party tricks. She's not perfect. but on the other, she's almost (but not quite) a Mary Sue.

Bye Summer, we barely knew you.

Bran's some sort of warg-timelord, apparently? I guess I shouldn't be surprised the old guy lied to him about being able to affect the past. INTERESTING. But does his coldhand (ha) mean that the White Walkers can follow him wherever now? That's what I want to know. Because, shit.

Oh, and White Walkers scare the crap out of me apparently. Balls.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-23, 08:13 AM
Ref Thrones...
Yeah that White Walker music is creepy as shit, too.

You didn't miss anything important at the beginning. Sansa got a letter, she asked how far to Molestown. Cut to Littlefinger waiting in a barn, Sansa walks in, followed by Brienne. She calls him out on what he did in reaaalllly uncomfortable fashion.

We're down to just Ghost and (presumably) Nymeria on the wolf front now, right?

Sad ending was sad. Even if I didn't really follow what was going on with warging and timetripping and warging in the timetrip despite the fact he's not holding the tree anymore and oh sad.

Patapsco
2016-05-23, 05:23 PM
I'm interested in Eureka. I read a little about it, I might have to look for this show. Sounds interesting.

it's a fish out of water science dramedy, but it's more on the comedy than the drama. It follows the "monster of the week" style, but instead of monsters, it's potential town/state/world ending scientific disasters. There are ongoing arcs that start later on (I think season 3 maybe), but generally they aren't pervasive. You can almost drop into any episode from seasons one and two and not need to consult a wiki or IMDB to figure out what the hell is going on

Sades
2016-05-23, 08:07 PM
Ref Thrones...

We're down to just Ghost and (presumably) Nymeria on the wolf front now, right?

Yep, down to two.

Sad ending was sad. Even if I didn't really follow what was going on with warging and timetripping and warging in the timetrip despite the fact he's not holding the tree anymore and oh sad.

For awhile I figured that maybe it was because the Three-Eyed Raven was guiding him, but then the old man was killed and Bran was still there so essentially my theory was blown to shit. I guess he's "just that good". Unless it was because he was attached to (inside of?) Hodor.

So, uh, I guess Bran Killed Hodor.

it's a fish out of water science dramedy, but it's more on the comedy than the drama. It follows the "monster of the week" style, but instead of monsters, it's potential town/state/world ending scientific disasters. There are ongoing arcs that start later on (I think season 3 maybe), but generally they aren't pervasive. You can almost drop into any episode from seasons one and two and not need to consult a wiki or IMDB to figure out what the hell is going on

Goood, gooooood. :up:

Skyquake87
2016-05-23, 08:35 PM
So I just got done watching the Pilot Episode of Preacher. And I enjoyed it. Runs with the source material and does its own thing, which is good and I'll be interested to see where this goes. I'll be especially interested to see if they keep the overt religious elements of the comics (tbh, I'll be surprised if they do, but am hopeful).

Casting is spot on and Ruth Negga is awesome as Tulip :)

Denyer
2016-05-23, 09:23 PM
Cheers for heads up on Preacher, will try to watch that this week...

And yeah, sure, the key tenet of any situation comedy is that the characters can't escape the situation and are stuck with it... but that just doesn't apply to any of them.

Pretty sure I've watched up to the end of season six, which felt like a good place to stop. The same sort of thing happened with Friends and Frasier, where the writers started to have characters either be jerks or self-sabotaging for the sake of plot... particularly started to dislike Raj by that point.

HeavyArms
2016-05-28, 04:54 PM
It's awful though isn't it? Couple of years back I caught a couple of episodes on TV and found it unbearable...

It definitely has it's problems, but the self-awareness does help at times.
I may have to start skipping episodes of it, like I did with Pokemon, just to not burn myself out on it.

Sades
2016-05-30, 08:03 AM
The first showing of GoT is on a lot earlier recently. That's good, but aggravating when you don't realise it until afterwards. Oh how I miss access to a DVR.

Benjen=Coldhands, wooty woot.

Who saw the Margery/Tommen thing coming? I didn't. Goddamn. Though, in hindsight, Tommen is easily led... I didn't think Margery was, however.

SAAAAM. I was so full of anxiety for him that entire time. Then it was like "YEAH. STEAL YOUR DAD'S MOTHER****ING SWORD."

YAY, ARYA'S DOING STUFF. I was wondering when this tedious stint into the world of facestealers would end.

Stop showing me White Walker-fied babies GoT, plskthnx. :(

Did Benjen just give Bran a cup of... rabbit blood? And did Bran just sip it like it was tea? Ew.

Dany- There's a lot of fire and bullshit going on here. Daenerys The Conqueror. Why is Dany suddenly able to control Drogon?

I'm half expecting Dany to go crazy, tbh. Or die, or something. There's going to be so much horrible that happens later on.

Nice shot of Drogon's mouth. That's the special effects budget spent.

All in all, I know I'm being snarky (it's late and I'm in a hurry for sleep), but I enjoyed it. It felt like it went by really quickly, though.

Cyberstrike nTo
2016-06-01, 01:15 AM
Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Dr. Who, Agent Carter, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Full House, and Fuller House.

Skyquake87
2016-06-01, 08:25 PM
I'm watching Alan Patridge's Scissored Isle. Its ace.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-06-01, 08:27 PM
They decided to leave a two week gap between the first and second episodes of Preacher, which is an incredibly risky strategy for a show I'm still 50/50 on.

Skyquake87
2016-06-01, 08:57 PM
I couldn't work that one out either, its not like its a big 90 min pilot, is it...

Denyer
2016-06-01, 09:39 PM
Enjoyed the first ep -- it still feels like a comic rather than grimdark for the sake of things, which Ennis's comics themselves often don't IMO.

Whether it can survive being town based rather than a road trip (haven't really read much info, so that might be a misinterpretation) is another matter.

Warcry
2016-06-03, 04:04 AM
I've been watching the 90s X-Men show a lot over the last week. The two-part pilot was rough enough to make me wonder if maybe I was only remembering it through nostalgia goggles, but the rest of the first season and the start of the second were really quite good. There's a few obvious "for kids" quirks, like skirting around actually mentioning the Holocaust in Magneto's backstory and very rarely using characters' real names, but all in all it's a good distillation of the high points of a very long-running comic.

I find it impossible to see why my younger self found Mr. Sinister so threatening, though. The tryhard SOB is just flat out hilarious. Everything from the name to the sharpened teeth to the ridiculous cape and facial hair make me wish one of the characters would pipe up and ask if we're actually supposed to take him seriously.

Skyquake87
2016-06-03, 07:59 PM
In my odd dabblings with X-Men in the last 15 or so years, I always did like Mr Sinister. He's ridiculous. Last time I saw him, he was in some magical wonderment land where he'd populated the place with duplicates of himself and all the women looked like Jean Grey.

...more like Mr Pervy than Mr Sinister.

And yeah, '90s X-Men is pretty ace. Although this Honest Trailer is also correct:
https://youtu.be/I8BobmZglOk

Sades
2016-06-06, 06:53 AM
GoT:

I'm a bit critical, but really I probably could have watched at least another hour of GoT tonight happily.

Everyone else who got stabbed that many times (iirc) collapsed and died pretty much immediately. Arya, as one of the main plot characters, lives long enough to go for a swim, crawl out of the river, then go for a stroll, all the while dripping little dramatic drips of blood that are at odds with the gusher she showed to the camera not a minute previous. Man, I'm really beginning to dislike Arya's bits in this show.

It's the Hound! I really don't care much. Well, I do. But I don't. I've already got too many characters to GAF about. Maybe later, when a couple of them have died.

Lady Lyanna Mormont, however. I already think I love you and I'm going to be genuinely sad when/if they kill your ass off.

Yay, Yara. And hey, Theon's not a wimp anymore I guess. Alright! Dany needs a thousand ships. Who's got a thousand ships? Thaaat's right. I wonder how that's going to go. I wanna seeeeeeee.

On that- What the hell is Dany going to do with a bunch of Dothraki when she gets to Westeros? Dany has dragons and killed all the Khals with her spoopy omg magic fire powers, that would be scary as **** to a Dothraki I guess, but would it be enough to suddenly make them decide a wimmenfolk is a warrior/leader, to the point of getting on ships and sailing across the bloody ocean for her, when they are pretty much tied to their land and none of them have ever done it before? I dunno.

Well, I suppose so. The dragons are a first (in a few hundred years... thousand years... whatever it was). And, uh, she emerged unscathed from a raging inferno. So I guess... *insert rolleyes here* :p

As always, I am team Kraken. Not for the win, just for the live.

Warcry
2016-06-06, 08:45 PM
And yeah, '90s X-Men is pretty ace. Although this Honest Trailer is also correct:
https://youtu.be/I8BobmZglOk
It's correct, yes, but at the same time it's really reaching for things to poke fun at. When the worst you can say about a show is stuff like "it's obvious what decade it was made in!" and "some of the characters are stereotypical, like the comic they're based on!", there can't be much bad to say.

They're right about Jubilee, though. I grew up watching her on TV and still can't bring myself to care. It probably doesn't help that (after reading so many of the old comics in the last few months) it's painfully obvious that she's nothing more than a 90s redux of Kitty Pryde with the serial numbers filed off. Plus her character model is terrible. She doesn't look Asian at all (I honestly had no idea she was meant to be until the live-action films kept using Asian extras as her in crowd scenes) and she spends most of her time wearing a raincoat, cleaning gloves and rubber boots.

Skyquake87
2016-06-07, 06:51 PM
I know! its like Spike and Sparkplug with their hardhat and wellies look all the time.

Watched the second episode of Preacher this morning, t'was good, but seems to be in a terrible hurry to do all the source material at once. Can't figure out Tulip's incessant need for Jesse to be in on....whatever job it is she's trying to pull and I can't really buy into these two having had some relationship in the past, but that's possibly because we don't really know Jesse just yet, and I get the feeling the showrunners have slightly mis-read his character. I wasn't expecting a carbon copy of the comic (AMC have, after all, done great things with The Walking Dead) There's hints of who is and what he's all about, but the show has this insane need to "get to the cool stuff" in a hurry. I'll be interested to follow this through and see where it goes, but I just wish it was taking its time a little more to establish its leads. I feel I know more about Arseface at the moment than any of the leads, and he's a frickin' supporting character.

Cliffjumper
2016-06-09, 07:32 PM
Personally felt 90s X-Men held up really badly with its' sixties animation and all.

RE: Jubes, from memory she was fairly Asian looking to start off with but that got basically ignored for the Jim Lee relaunch that was the DNA for the cartoon and didn't really start coming back until Generation X started to get less popular. Bit odd considering Psylocke was basically an anime babe at the time.

Watching Spongebob mainly at the moment, it's ****ing ace.

inflatable dalek
2016-06-09, 08:06 PM
We watched the X-Men but I've no real memories of it, it just didn't sink in. 90's Spider Man mainly stood out for Spidey not being able to go five minutes without an extended (sometimes multiple!) flashback to a prior episode to explain something.

Warcry
2016-06-09, 10:15 PM
Personally felt 90s X-Men held up really badly with its' sixties animation and all.
The animation isn't a standout by any means, but I don't think it's bad per se. It's just basic. The models are simple and the backgrounds don't really stand out, but the quality of the work is miles ahead of the 80s stuff that predated it. There's nowhere near the amount of general sloppiness, off-model characters, colouring errors and the like that you'd see in something like Transformers, for example. It doesn't have the stylish flair of something like Batman TAS, but I don't think it detracts from the storytelling at all. "Workmanlike" might be the best word for it.

My only real art complaint is that half the time the cast wander around doing civilian stuff in costume because nobody could be bothered to get the civilian character models for them. Beast doing medical research at the hospital in his underwear is probably the biggest offender, followed shortly by Gambit still wearing his headgear when he had a tuxedo on because nobody could remember what he looked like without it. At first I thought it was just because they didn't have the budget to design alternate looks for the characters, but it still happens even after they've all been shown in civvies multiple times.

RE: Jubes, from memory she was fairly Asian looking to start off with but that got basically ignored for the Jim Lee relaunch that was the DNA for the cartoon and didn't really start coming back until Generation X started to get less popular. Bit odd considering Psylocke was basically an anime babe at the time.
Jim Lee's designs were really hit-or-miss for me. Just looking at the ones in the TV show...his Rogue and Cyclops were basically perfect, admittedly. And Beast is really cool. But Wolverine was just a take on the classic costume, and honestly a step back from the brown kit. And the others? Storm looks like a grandma (though, honestly, has Storm ever had a good outfit?), Jubilee looks like a little kid wearing her mom's cleaning gear and I don't even know what to say about what Gambit and Jean are wearing. They look like they should be guest stars from an episode of DS9 or something.

The 70s/80s outfits may have made characters look like circus performers but at least they had a bit of style to them.

Watching Spongebob mainly at the moment, it's ****ing ace.
When I watched some of this with my niece and nephew while babysitting, ages ago now, my mind was blown by how...not awful it was. I don't know why but I was expecting it to be terrible, not legitimately funny.

We watched the X-Men but I've no real memories of it, it just didn't sink in. 90's Spider Man mainly stood out for Spidey not being able to go five minutes without an extended (sometimes multiple!) flashback to a prior episode to explain something.
I was just the opposite. I must have watched Spider-Man plenty, because a zillion of the show's character models as well as it's credits sequence easily come to mind when I think of it. I even liked it enough to try out the comics some. But I honestly can't think of a single thing that happened in the show or remember the plot of any episodes.

inflatable dalek
2016-06-10, 02:43 PM
Spider-Man had a character called Madam Web in in. Who could forget that?

Cyberstrike nTo
2016-06-10, 07:31 PM
Spider-Man had a character called Madam Web in in. Who could forget that?

Wasn't she voiced Stan Lee's wife in the 90s series?

Cliffjumper
2016-06-10, 07:51 PM
Yes, Spider-Man supporting character Madam Web did indeed voice Stan Lee's wife for a short period in the nineties before handing the role over to Daphne from Scooby Doo.

inflatable dalek
2016-06-10, 08:36 PM
He traded up then.

I'm currently being tempted by the fact the 1980's Miss Marple is on blu ray in America. The popular opinion seems to be it's better than the more recent one where she regenerates, takes over books Miss Marple wasn't in and is constantly fighting lesbian Nazi nuns and I like me some Christie but Marple is a character I've never really dived into.

Skyquake87
2016-06-11, 01:34 PM
I remember enjoying the '80s Marple on the Beeb. Joan Hickson is fantastic as Marple to the point I can't imagine anyone else in the role being anything but a pale imitation. Nice title sequence from what I recall too.

Denyer
2016-06-11, 02:13 PM
I remember it being better than it was when I tried re-watching one a few years back. Fantastic theme though.

HeavyArms
2016-06-11, 03:55 PM
I'm about 3/4 through the second season of Ultimate Spider-Man and I feel like there may be too many cutaway gags, kind of like Family Guy, also, they use monkey screeches pretty often whenever Spider-Man is surprised by something (usually a jump scare).

Sades
2016-06-13, 07:15 AM
GoT:

So it's pretty much a given that Tommen's going to die, right? Today's episode has me wondering if (ARGH FAN THEORY/SPECULATION TIME) Cersei ends up killing him herself. Valonqar is High Valyrian for little brother, maybe Jaime kills her for killing Tommen. That'd be a handy way to open up the possibility of him becoming the "good guy" the show keeps hinting he has the potential to be.

Arya: irritates me. But I'm glad she finally killed that T-1000 and is going home, because I've not been a big fan of this entire Braavos thing.

Brienne, I love you. Don't go anywhere.

Hey, look! Dany's back at the pyramid. Allrighty then.

Sades
2016-06-20, 07:26 AM
Srs no one talked about random TV that doesn't have its own thread for a week? Filthy casuals.

[/twat]

GoT:

YAS. Good times, good times. RiP GoT budget :(

Shhhhhhiiit Yara and Theon must have gotten away with the speedboat portion the Iron Fleet.

Oh, 100 ships. Well, that's not far off from 1000. * >.> ; twiddles thumbs*

DRAGONS BE BURNIN' SHIT YEAAAAHH. But as much as I like to see things on fire- Curbing that firebug tendency, good job Tyrion/Dany.

Bye Rickon. I really don't give a shit that you're gone, but that's not your fault. I hope you got paid well for what basically amounted to a glorified extra's role, kid.

Holy shit, Sansa. She is one cold-ass mother****er.

I liked the timing on that bastard battle, I don't even care that it was predictable. Ramsay is my favourite villain right now. He was just a horrid, bad bad man.

Speaking of awful ****ers (albeit of a more... watered-down variety), Littlefinger's back. AND THE CROWD GOES MILD.

I miss the giant more than I miss Rickon.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-06-20, 07:46 AM
Dogfood, mother****a.