PDA

View Full Version : The 2015 UK General Election.

inflatable dalek
2015-05-07, 07:46 AM
Here we go again! So how are we voting and who do we want to get in?

I was leaning towards either the Greens or our previous Independent MP who is standing again, but the Murdoch press in general and The Sun in particular's hatchet jobs over the last few days (I get both sides are biased, but "DON'T VOTE FOR THIS MAN WHO LOOKS FUNNY WHEN EATING A BACON SANDWICH!" was pathetic) worked as reverse psychology and made me vote Labour.

probably uselessly as it's a safe Tory seat, but hey ho.

The view from my kitchen window:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/status/596201464223137792

Skyquake87
2015-05-07, 08:05 AM
I voted Green (as you know!). Reading their manifesto and their campaign materials gave me hope they've done their homework , despite Natalie Bennett fluffing her figures and being unable to recall key parts of their policy. Round my way has an odd mix of ultra-Tories (our current MP is the gambling obsessed Philip Davies) and right-on Greenies. No one else really gets a look in.

Our local Labour candidates are an unbearably smug chap whose gthe spitting image of Richard "Dirty" Desmond and a child whose campaign materials really made me laugh - bigging up his working class background whilst there's a picture of him and his family stood outside the huge country pile they now live in! I know its all self-made man stuff, but doesn't help sell you as a man of the people. In the same way having two kitchens doesn't. Given that we're still smarting from the previous Labour governments spend spend spend attitude, I just don't trust them with the country's finances. I haven't been impressed that they've not admitted any kind of liability for the mess we're in that they created.

UKIP are just horrific. Worse than the Tories and clearly going for the voter base that previously voted BNP*. UKIP - The acceptable face of racism.

*As an aside, my dad voted BNP in the last round of elections as where he lives near Castleford is a Labour safe seat and has been for decades. He voted BNP as a protest vote as no one else ever gets a look in.

I will be interested to see what happens to political chameleon George Galloway if he fails to retain his seat. Having arrived to big fanfare as the MP for Bradford West, he's done precisely f**k all for the local community and instead flounces around banging on about Iraq and Zionism in Israel. Brilliant.

Denyer
2015-05-07, 10:01 PM
There's a decent argument that given participation in international markets but keeping a separate currency, spending to grow an economy is far more effective than the alternatives. Instead we've seen benefits increasingly supporting poor wages and rises in zero-hour contracts.

inflatable dalek
2015-05-08, 06:04 AM
Well that sucked more than I expected. I thought there was a good chance Cameron would cling on, but couldn't it have been closer?

Nice to see the Lib Dems get shafted, even if the end result was all their former voters suddenly deciding they were right wing and voting Tory.

electro girl
2015-05-08, 08:06 AM
Well ****.

Terome
2015-05-08, 12:01 PM
Not quite sure what I was expecting but everyone seems very upset.

British politics are quite sweet - you can see that the thing that insulates against so many horrors is the fact that people care so much. Cameron isn't ideal and may even be something of a vandal but as far as elected villains go he's got very little blood on his hands.

I'm registered in Hammersmith so I voted Labour in the hopes that they'd keep the big local hospital open. They stayed in there so I guess I helped as much as I could.

Really need to start writing MPs more often though. They are surprisingly responsive.

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-05-08, 01:23 PM
I have a question about the Obama community. Is Obama leading properly or not? If you ask me then the answer is yes but i want to ask others.

As left-wing liberal progressive social justice warrior in the issues that matter to me: no. He never even tried for Universal Health Care, he's let the big banks get away with biggest scam in human history and he lets the GOP get away with actions that are borderline treasonous most days. And that not just him it's the Democratic Party, the lame ass political press we got these days as well as morons like the Tea Party, but mostly I blame the people of the USA for not paying attention to serious subjects instead wasting time worrying about who's sleeping with who in Hollywood.

Now as a pragmatic American voter: yes. He's a better leader than the idiots he ran against by far.

Also I'm not sure many UK posters here might not want us Americans hijacking a thread about the UK elections.

inflatable dalek
2015-05-08, 02:04 PM

Cameron is the Michael Bay of British politics. Much more popular than the internet would make you think.

Denyer
2015-05-08, 06:14 PM
Clegg's resignation speech didn't seem to include any acknowledgement that entering into a coalition in the first place was more ego trip than opportunity to moderate policies. The Conservatives forming a minority government at the time would have had to work with other parties on an ongoing basis... not that first past the post systems are defensible.

The portion of the electorate so far not affected by Camewrongs is fairly sizeable, and votes. Britain under Thatcher wasn't entirely dissimilar -- for a lot of people things were quite good.

Do we think UKIP will unravel or manage to put someone like Farage up front that sort of holds things together?

Is Obama leading properly or not?
Assuming the off-topic first post of an account isn't bot spam...

He's not doing too badly within the confines of the American political system.

inflatable dalek
2015-05-08, 06:26 PM
Farage has resigned... but is standing for reelection as party leader.

Knightdramon
2015-05-09, 02:06 PM
I see some parallels with Greece's political climate in the past 6 years, with the obvious exception of a tight economical crisis.

Being from such a background, I applaud the resignation of the political leaders of all 3 major parties that lost, even if it is just a media PR move.

I could only vote for local council elections so I did not partake in the general elections, however, I am pleased by the fact that the prevalent right-wing group got so few votes it appears it's essentially out of the parliament seats. This is hopefully the one of many likewise similar political shifts throughout Europe.

I am, however, a bit perplexed by the Conservatives' victory, or rather, the outcry against their victory. Pretty much everybody I know and have been in contact with voted for other parties [and this includes people from all sorts of social circles and levels, over and under the middle class], and the country in general was against their policies, so how they ended up with the majority vote is still a bit baffling.

inflatable dalek
2015-05-09, 02:12 PM
Because the First Past the Post system doesn't actually properly reflect voters views. The problem is, it's never going to be in the interests of the sitting government to change things to more accurately reflect voting patterns (plus the downside that if we had proportional representation UKip would have gotten more seats. But do we prevent ourselves from going for something more democratic just because we don't like the choices people make?).

Of the big three, it was only ever the Lib Dems who wanted electoral reform (as the only one that would benefit from it), and they ****ed up their chance to push it through with the AV debarcle and won't be in a position to do much of anything about anything now.