PDA

View Full Version : Avengers star Patrick Macnee has died.

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-06-28, 09:26 PM
Here is the link (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33279566) about it. Another great actor has left us. I've never seen much of the ITV's The Avengers I know Macnee mostly for: the young Marley in Alistair Sim version of A Christmas Carol, the narrator, voice of the Cylon leader, and as Count Ibli on the original Battlestar Galactica, A View To Kill, and as Dr. Watson in a trio of Sherlock Holmes TV movies: Sherlock Holmes In New York (with Roger Moore as Holmes) and Sherlock Holmes: The Golden Years-The Leading Lady and Sherlock Holmes: The Golden Years-The Incident At Victoria Falls (with Sir Christopher Lee as Holmes). He also had a cameo as a British gambler that Kenny Rogers has to beat at the end of The Gambler IV. Macnee gets a neat in-joke with Claude Atkins who plays Teddy Rosevelt in both The Gambler IV and The Incident At Victoria Falls about having met in Africa even though The Gambler IV is set in 1902 and The Incident at Victoria Falls is set in 1914 (or there abouts) and Macnee is also plays 2 different characters in both movies.

RIP Patrick Macnee.

inflatable dalek
2015-06-29, 02:16 AM
A fantastic, fun actor who-- based on his autobiographies-- always underrated himself.

His big contribution though is being so willing to work on an equal footing with a female costar. A lot of male actors of the period (arguably today as well) would feel undermined and threatened. He actively encouraged it, coming up with ideas to share the load (suggesting Honor's leather's; sharing out bits of comedy business with Rigg; insisting he be present with Thorson whenever she had a meeting with producers after she had a bad experience) and fought against the wishes of higher ups who wanted to make Steed "More mescaline".

The Avengers was a hugely important series in terms of the treatment of women in television, and actively changed British culture (in particular making the idea of self defence for women acceptable), and Macnee's attitude of acceptance was a key part of allowing his talented fellow leads to show what they could do.

Plus, he was a keen nudist who once tried to convince Honor Blackman to play nude tennis with him (IIRC her rebuttal was to point out two good reasons why this wouldn't work). Points for trying.

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-06-29, 02:57 AM
I have to say his take on Dr. Watson in Sherlock Holmes in New York was different by having Watson being a somewhat anti-American blowhard who just wants to go back home was funny and IMHO worked given the time period it took place in (I think it was set shortly before or after the American Civil War although don't hold me to that). Roger Moore as Holmes is basically a cross between Bo Maverick and James Bond and John Houston as Professor Morality steals every scene he is in. It's a super hammy TV movie in the best way too bad it never got a sequel.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-06-29, 09:12 AM
It's cute how Americans think every British television program was made by the BBC.

(not a dig at Cyberstrike, just an observation based on general experience)

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-06-29, 02:44 PM
It's cute how Americans think every British television program was made by the BBC.

(not a dig at Cyberstrike, just an observation based on general experience)

OOPS! My mistake. Sadly I can't edit the title of the thread if one of the mods want to then please do so.

Mostly it is because the BBC has branded itself here in the states as such. The only British channel we get here is BBC America which shows mostly naturally BBC shows, re-runs of American shows with well-known British actors (the used to air Star Trek: The Next Generation), and ITV shows that ITV canceled before BBC-A would ever air them, also the number of BBC co-productions with various American networks like PBS, HBO, Starz, and etc is well known.

Many ITV shows have been released in the states but they tend to air mostly BBC America or PBS or they get released on direct to DVD if there is a well known actor or actress in them.

Again I know that there are more British TV channels other than BBC and ITV but the BBC has done a great job of branding and since most of the BBC shows we here are of higher quality in terms of production values.

I mean for all of the current faults on the current Dr. Who it has production values that rival or surpass many movies much less the few American TV sci-fi shows.

inflatable dalek
2015-06-29, 07:46 PM
Title edited (and don't be too embarrassed, I managed to misname the school Chris Lee and Macnee attended together in my video on the former).

Of course, what station, or even country, The Avengers belongs to is incredibly tortuous and complicated. The final black and white season was actually be ordered by ITV. For the colour seasons it effectively became an American TV series that just happened to be filmed abroad. Commissioned by the US network, shown there first and ultimately cancelled by them despite the show's continued popularity in the UK and Europe.

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-06-30, 06:47 PM
Title edited (and don't be too embarrassed, I managed to misname the school Chris Lee and Macnee attended together in my video on the former).

Of course, what station, or even country, The Avengers belongs to is incredibly tortuous and complicated. The final black and white season was actually be ordered by ITV. For the colour seasons it effectively became an American TV series that just happened to be filmed abroad. Commissioned by the US network, shown there first and ultimately cancelled by them despite the show's continued popularity in the UK and Europe.

Most of the ITV shows I've seen have been cop/detective shows like Prime Suspect and The Commander when they were on Amazon Instant Video.

As for The Avengers other of that God-Awful POS movie made back in 90s with Ralph Fines, Uma Thurman, and Sean Connery I haven't seen show outside of clips and stills in documentaries about other movies and shows.

The only thing I know about the show is the fact that Patrick Macnee, Diana Rigg, and Honor Blackman appeared in James Bond movies and that is also has legendary "lost episodes" like the original Dr. Who.