PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #43

zigzagger
2015-07-23, 01:35 AM
Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #43 three-page preview by way of iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/ca/book/transformers-more-than-meets/id1021795289?mt=11).

The full issue is due July 29!

Selkadoom
2015-07-23, 03:48 AM
Ok so MTMTE is just going balls deep into meta homage and refference humor aren't they? I'm not quite sure how I feel in regards to this.

zigzagger
2015-07-23, 04:32 AM
Mmmm, it's a bit much, I agree.

Still... we're getting more Bluestreak. Nice to see more of the "new" faces mingling with the old.

Selkadoom
2015-07-23, 06:21 AM
Now while I do like the third preview page and the art, the actual opening sequence it's refferencing is sadly beyond my recollection.

Terome
2015-07-23, 10:55 AM
It's like they are taking those two 'playlist' pages we spent so much time talking about last month and are making a whole issue out of them!

I do quite like this though - it's clear that there's something wacky science fiction hijinx going on. I'm thinking Psi Moon (http://reddwarf.wikia.com/wiki/Psi-moon). The avatars are fun and the art is gorgeous. The 'title sequence' made up of old clips is kind of inspired too.

I can't help but think that the people who make Community would despair at their show being so handily referenced as something that spontaneously generates paintball battles.

Unicron
2015-07-23, 11:48 AM
Now while I do like the third preview page and the art, the actual opening sequence it's refferencing is sadly beyond my recollection.
Cheers.

So they're hanging out in Monica's apartment from Friends, paintball fight from Community, Cheers opening sequence, reading issue one of MTMTE, referencing Tumblr as a place to stay away from (how true)...

Yeah, a bit heavy on the Earth references. Curious to see what the justification is going to be. Probably something like the Phobia Shield back from the Hoist Spotlight, but less lethal and more based on fictional crap.

I just want to know if they're going to stumble into an episode of the old cartoon. I think that's about the only thing that would be better and worse than what we've already seen

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-07-23, 12:25 PM
Well, Swerve seems to be important in the stories coming up, judging by him going all Quantum Leap and the forthcoming cover of multiple Swerves. Is this still the effects of the meta-bomb he detonated ages ago? If so, I hope this story clears it all up and the meta thing goes away. Meta stuff can be fun, but I'd rather read "classic" MTMTE than endless Earth references. Bring back the (poorly executed) quest!

Selkadoom
2015-07-23, 06:22 PM
Cheers.

So they're hanging out in Monica's apartment from Friends, paintball fight from Community, Cheers opening sequence, reading issue one of MTMTE, referencing Tumblr as a place to stay away from (how true)...

Yeah, a bit heavy on the Earth references. Curious to see what the justification is going to be. Probably something like the Phobia Shield back from the Hoist Spotlight, but less lethal and more based on fictional crap.

I just want to know if they're going to stumble into an episode of the old cartoon. I think that's about the only thing that would be better and worse than what we've already seen

Thank you that was bothering me, I knew the font and all just couldn't put the name to it. Though I'd enjoy them discovering Beast wars only somewhat more personally.

Well, Swerve seems to be important in the stories coming up, judging by him going all Quantum Leap and the forthcoming cover of multiple Swerves. Is this still the effects of the meta-bomb he detonated ages ago? If so, I hope this story clears it all up and the meta thing goes away. Meta stuff can be fun, but I'd rather read "classic" MTMTE than endless Earth references. Bring back the (poorly executed) quest!

Thats actually a brilliant way to rationalize all the Meta stuff lately, that or we get a twist of Shamalan levels coming up.

Warcry
2015-07-23, 10:06 PM
Has James Roberts been possessed by an 80s vintage Grant Morrison? Because that's some Animal Man-tier self-indulgent nonsense. Though it is somewhat redeemed by the thought of Roger C. Carmel's booming Cyclonus baritone coming from a Victorian schoolmarm.

inflatable dalek
2015-07-27, 08:11 PM
I don't read the previews (and still haven't), but the reaction to this one has been interesting (if slightly annoying as people on twitter have seemed determined to ruin any "Surprise" from the sitcom homage). Even the people who like it seem baffled.

And five posts before it's compared to a Red Dwarf episode... a record? ;)

If anything, from the way people are going on it's more like that episode of Supernatural where the boys get sucked into various other Universal TV shows.

Terome
2015-07-29, 11:35 AM
Well to be fair I was wrong about the Psi Moon...

SPOILERS

Turned out it was Better Than Life.

And just like the Better Than Life book, it put an awful lot of sadness into those pop culture riffs. Lister wants to be George Bailey, Swerve wants to be Father Ted, Sheldon and Jerry Seinfeld.

Denyer
2015-07-29, 07:18 PM
It did get back on track by the end, although I can't quite get past the fact that a lot of it was probably put together as fodder for convention costumes. Hopefully it's out of the system for a while.

Although I'm going be decidedly put off if things go from one extreme to another and the DJD storyline is a torturefest.

inflatable dalek
2015-07-29, 08:10 PM
It does have the same caveat as last issue in that it's really pushing it that out of thousands of years of Earth culture the Transformers are fixated on the last 30 years (though at least this goes for generally better known stuff than obscure British hits. Though the fact younger fans on twitter needed Cheers explained to them shows how forced that was), and indeed it lost some of its impact due to coming right after two pages of a story packed full of Earth references.

However, the advantage here is that the end of 42 was fairly pointless all told and just felt like it was taking away from a main story that could have done with a couple of extra pages.

Here, the (as Terome says, Better Than Life inspired. Amazingly I could spot only one joke take directly from Red Dwarf with the variation on the "You swapped the symbols on my revision time table..." gag) pop culture references are the point. And the fact Swerve is a lonely sad little man almost feels like a damning indictment of stories that overly rely on them.

Like, erm, last month. So maybe that's not deliberate.

Still, it was funny, tragic, surprisingly paid off on things I don't think any of us expected to see mentioned again (the meta bomb! The oddly over long recap page last issue) and had some nice big SF ideas beyond those borrowed from Red Dwarf with the giant holomatter Earth. Megatron's "They're so fragile" can be read so many ways as well.

Oh First Aid, why do you have to go be a leg? Here you're a character! Don't leave! You'll only be drawn as a Monsterbot.

Incidentally, I suspect no cosplayers will bother with Skids 9th Doctor look unless they're on a budget. It was quite funny at the 50th Who convention how the small number of men who did cosplay as him just looked like blokes rather than people in costume.

EDIT: Oh, and Christ, they're letting Brainstorm do science. And the "The whole crew don't know!" argument for everyone being fine with him is now shot down by the fact the truth has slipped out (surely the briefcase wouldn't be mentioned without the rest of it?).

Unicron
2015-07-29, 08:56 PM
surprisingly paid off on things I don't think any of us expected to see mentioned again (the meta bomb! The oddly over long recap page last issue)
It's crazier than that evidently. According to ze Wiki, Swerve was shown with a patch or some such covering a wound on his shoulder all the way back in Chaos.

Selkadoom
2015-07-29, 09:07 PM
It's crazier than that evidently. According to ze Wiki, Swerve was shown with a patch or some such covering a wound on his shoulder all the way back in Chaos.

Ah dammit ya beat me to it! But yeah it seems Roberts has kept that one in his back pocket waiting, not to mention the in passing remark to Swerve meeting the djd in the past. Though my money is slowly going to Vos or whomever it is thats the sniper rifle as being agent 113.

zigzagger
2015-07-30, 04:56 AM
Huh. Well, alright.

I think what truly saved this issue for me was this... real-life implication, that someone had fallen into a deep depression, and had been wasting away in his room for months before anyone noticed.

I've been there, and I've known many others who have as well. Gotta admit, it struck a cord.

Overall, while it was way too meta for my tastes (and this is coming from someone who hates sitcoms), this issue turned out to be a lot more worthwhile than I thought going in.

Terome
2015-07-30, 12:01 PM
I'm going to come out as a straight-up lover of this issue.

The meta stuff was exactly to my tastes and the central metaphor was sound - Swerve has locked himself away in his room binging on escapist TV shows. His literal projecting of a healthy self to work is a fantastic use of the holoavatar mechanic. Similarly, the psycho-receptive (or whatever) holoavatars got a real payoff with the Three Aspects of Swerve routine. The weaving together of the 'previously on...' pages, the meta-bomb joke and the seemingly abandoned briefcase side plot was something I'd never have guessed in a million years. The seeding of Swerve's old war wound was the cherry on top. And on top of those cherries was a really interesting bit of business with Megatron and a reveal of part of Nautica's role on the ship - she's not afraid of him.

My one beef is the old one with Milne's Rung avatar - it's been said before but he's too fabulous to go unnoticed. And it is my feeling that Cyclonus should look ghastly and not hot but the crowd is definitely against me on that one.

Didn't spot the Rimmer's Study Timetable joke the first time around, thanks Dalek!

Do people seriously want the DJD fight and the Knights Quest over this weird, glorious stuff? When will Red Dwarf get back to Earth? When will Dr. Beckett make the leap home? When will David Banner find a cure? Bah to the lot of it!

Red Dave Prime
2015-07-30, 12:21 PM
The meta stuff did feel a little over egged at times and I swear it felt like roberts was responding to some of Cliffjumpers complaints in "that" thread but I still liked the overall vibe of the issue. Its maybe a bit too slavish to the concept to really work but a lot of what Terome wrote stands true to me. Good issue and yeah, I'll take more of this than a straight up fight with the DJD anyday

Terome
2015-07-30, 12:31 PM
I swear it felt like roberts was responding to some of Cliffjumpers complaints in "that" thread

Yeah man, either Cliffjumper is just really good at finding Roberts' shatterpoint or Roberts has been lurking round here, the tears brimming in his eyes...

But seeing how candid the podcasting people and Twitterati are with kicking sand directly in his eyes maybe it's more a case of the criticism being unavoidable rather than him having to come to us for a dose.

Speaking of the man himself, is Chromedome supposed to resemble him? That would be a bit dark.

So is Megatron projecting the blood onto his avatar's hands or is the fake glass cutting his fake body?

ADDITIONAL: And it's appropriate that Skids, who was so dismissive of Skids 'n Swerve, is the one who finds his 'body.'

zigzagger
2015-07-30, 02:06 PM
Do people seriously want the DJD fight and the Knights Quest over this weird, glorious stuff? When will Red Dwarf get back to Earth? When will Dr. Beckett make the leap home? When will David Banner find a cure? Bah to the lot of it!

I'd like to see some movement on the Knight Quest side of things, yes, but I'll settle for another Scavengers two-parter. That's a diversion I'd be on board for since that thread's been dangling for some time now.

Oh hey. That's next issue.

Sigh... Guess that'll have to tide me over ;)

Warcry
2015-07-30, 06:13 PM
Here, the (as Terome says, Better Than Life inspired. Amazingly I could spot only one joke take directly from Red Dwarf with the variation on the "You swapped the symbols on my revision time table..." gag) pop culture references are the point. And the fact Swerve is a lonely sad little man almost feels like a damning indictment of stories that overly rely on them.

Like, erm, last month. So maybe that's not deliberate.
:lol:

Maybe Roberts is making fun of himself?

EDIT: Oh, and Christ, they're letting Brainstorm do science. And the "The whole crew don't know!" argument for everyone being fine with him is now shot down by the fact the truth has slipped out (surely the briefcase wouldn't be mentioned without the rest of it?).
Yeah, that's pretty mental, isn't it? It's been less than a week in-story since he tried to wipe out billions of lives and erase four million years of galactic history and he's already just one of the guys again.

He mentioned the old shoulder injury in the Annual as well, if memory serves.

My one beef is the old one with Milne's Rung avatar - it's been said before but he's too fabulous to go unnoticed. And it is my feeling that Cyclonus should look ghastly and not hot but the crowd is definitely against me on that one.
A more ghoulish Cyclonus would make sense, I'd agree. All of the avatars seem to be light-hearted and jokey, though, so I'm just assuming it was programmed to create the funniest human version of Cyclonus possible.

I think the reason why Rung's avatar is so fancy-looking, though, is that it was created as part of a "Rung is a Mary Sue" in-joke. So of course the author's pet's human avatar is awesome-looking! I'd agree it makes no sense in-story, though.

The story seemed to be a bit confused at points, being constructed with sitcom tropes but then suddenly sidestepping into their own story being told in comic form. And the sitcom-world really wasn't explored at all, which IMO really defeats the purpose of doing it to start with.

Also, the fact that I loathe Swerve definitely makes it difficult for me to appreciate the issue, because I spent most of it hoping futilely for him to die.

inflatable dalek
2015-07-30, 07:32 PM

Roberts plays the looooooooooooooong game!

Or it's a coincidence he took advantage of.

Huh. Well, alright.

I think what truly saved this issue for me was this... real-life implication, that someone had fallen into a deep depression, and had been wasting away in his room for months before anyone noticed.

I've been there, and I've known many others who have as well. Gotta admit, it struck a cord.

*Virtually hugs Ziggy*

That bit was very well done.

The meta stuff was exactly to my tastes and the central metaphor was sound

I think one area where it feel down was when Swerve was describing what he loves about sitcoms, because he's describing the traditional British sitcom structure rather than the American. That's not to say that there aren't American sitcoms about weirdos and misfits thrown together (though this issue seems to name all the most notable ones, I'm surprised he didn't go for Fraiser over Cheers actually, it would certainly have fitted with it being more Planet E4 than anything else), but it's not as much a thing and Friends especially isn't like that. It's about beutiful sexy rich people being witty at one another.

One shame of it sticking so rigidly to 80's/90's shows (how did Big Bang Theory and Community slip in there?), is that a couple of black and white pages in the style of a classic 50's sitcom would have been a nice stretching of the idea. Tailgate as the Beaver. Rodimus as Lucy.

I loved loved loved the pay off to the "Were there any more volunteers?" comment, the most heart warming and subtle gag in the whole comic.

Well to be fair, it stands out to us, the Transformers may have no real idea what a fabulous human looks like.

Christ McFeely made the point on twitter than Bluestreak's avatar is the odd one out as it doesn't seem even slightly representative of him at all, you wouldn't even be able to take a wild guess as to who it was supposed to be just by looking at it.

Didn't spot the Rimmer's Study Timetable joke the first time around, thanks Dalek!

Well, I didn't spot it was Better Than Life, so that's a no score draw!

The meta stuff did feel a little over egged at times and I swear it felt like roberts was responding to some of Cliffjumpers complaints in "that" thread but I still liked the overall vibe of the issue. Its maybe a bit too slavish to the concept to really work but a lot of what Terome wrote stands true to me. Good issue and yeah, I'll take more of this than a straight up fight with the DJD anyday

Yeah man, either Cliffjumper is just really good at finding Roberts' shatterpoint or Roberts has been lurking round here, the tears brimming in his eyes...

I don't know, considering how long this has been brewing (Roberts made an "Off the cuff" suggestion for Cyclonus' avatar at AA exactly a year ago, which I now suspect wasn't impromptu at all) that's likely to be coincidence. Roberts does have a tendency to occasionally confront his imagined critics in a slightly insecure way (the Circle of Light Not Getting It being the most notable example) and the whole "Is this really any sillier than anything else I've done? Eh? EH?!" bit did feel like that.

Yeah, that's pretty mental, isn't it? It's been less than a week in-story since he tried to wipe out billions of lives and erase four million years of galactic history and he's already just one of the guys again.

Yep, he basically tried to do exactly what Shockwave did-- wipe out the established Universe and kill everyone in it. He isn't a "Nice" guy whatever his motivations (and Shockers had extenuating circumstances as well), he's a vile piece of shit and everyone being so nice about it is really starting to grate now.

A more ghoulish Cyclonus would make sense, I'd agree. All of the avatars seem to be light-hearted and jokey, though, so I'm just assuming it was programmed to create the funniest human version of Cyclonus possible.

Cyclonus worked for me, mainly because visually it emphasised a more parental relationship with Tailgate, which is how I view them.

It was actually a very good issue for Cyc, lots of good material and common sense without it actually being about him.

I think the reason why Rung's avatar is so fancy-looking, though, is that it was created as part of a "Rung is a Mary Sue" in-joke. So of course the author's pet's human avatar is awesome-looking! I'd agree it makes no sense in-story, though.

But I thought you thought Skids was Roberts Mary Sue? ;)

The story seemed to be a bit confused at points, being constructed with sitcom tropes but then suddenly sidestepping into their own story being told in comic form. And the sitcom-world really wasn't explored at all, which IMO really defeats the purpose of doing it to start with.

Yeah, I'd agree it didn't go as all out on it as it could.

Terome
2015-07-30, 09:10 PM
Cyclonus worked for me, mainly because visually it emphasised a more parental relationship with Tailgate, which is how I view them.

It was actually a very good issue for Cyc, lots of good material and common sense without it actually being about him.

Yeah, Cyclonus was the hero here. He even got to tell a joke. Nice one, Cyclonus.

And I agree with you, Warcry - Cyclonus' avatar is, when you get right down to it, hilarious.

I don't have any issue with Bluestreak's avatar - as the one who knew what he was doing he'd rely less on an off-the-cuff psychoavatar and go for a sculpted, selected one (which is what Rodimus seems to be going for - he spent three days on that headband!)

We already know that they can override the 'resemblance' upgrade because Ultra Magnus looks like Verity. Megatron can edit his psychoavatar on the fly by deleting his embarrassing (and possibly incriminating) walking stick.

Yep, he basically tried to do exactly what Shockwave did-- wipe out the established Universe and kill everyone in it.

Shockwave's plan was actually much nicer - no one would die and they would basically go into Endless Paradise. Brainstorm would have brought about a miserable dystopia if he'd got his way.

But then if they're letting Whirl, Ravage, Megatron and even Cyclonus get away with all their bodycounting then why not let the more abstract crime go by unpunished? It makes the treatment of Drift look weird but that has been addressed in a moderately satisfying way (but seriously, people were chucking rocks [?] at Drift).

I suppose it would make more sense if Nautica, who hasn't been numbed by the war or whatever, wasn't so quick to forgive him too.

But then it is part of the larger problem that we keep coming back to: there are too many characters kicking about and the story is reluctant to cut any of them back. I know Roberts certainly has mad plans for Brainstorm in the future but right now it looks like the sensible editorial choice would have been to leave him in the past to die in prison with Quark. Fully prepared to be proven wrong on that, by the way.

Roberts does have a tendency to occasionally confront his imagined critics in a slightly insecure way (the Circle of Light Not Getting It being the most notable example) and the whole "Is this really any sillier than anything else I've done? Eh? EH?!" bit did feel like that.

I agree. Had to cringe at that line. The poor man.

And the sitcom-world really wasn't explored at all, which IMO really defeats the purpose of doing it to start with.

I see what you're getting at but that seemed like admirable restraint to me. I'm sure there were lots of drafts involving I Love Lucy, Porridge, The Addams Family et al. but this issue needed a lot of focus to work and those are acceptable casualties.

I loved loved loved the pay off to the "Were there any more volunteers?" comment, the most heart warming and subtle gag in the whole comic.

Didn't catch that until my second read-through. It is a great moment.

I think one area where it feel down was when Swerve was describing what he loves about sitcoms, because he's describing the traditional British sitcom structure rather than the American. That's not to say that there aren't American sitcoms about weirdos and misfits thrown together (though this issue seems to name all the most notable ones, I'm surprised he didn't go for Fraiser over Cheers actually, it would certainly have fitted with it being more Planet E4 than anything else), but it's not as much a thing and Friends especially isn't like that. It's about beutiful sexy rich people being witty at one another.

I find this to be genuinely new information - though growing up I tended to have a lot of disdain for anything that wasn't Seinfeld so I probably just don't have the knowledge to draw from. I will defend Friends though on the grounds that the principles really didn't seem to get on with anyone outside of their increasingly insular and incestuous group. I always felt a bit sorry for them. Mainly because they weren't pleased at that situation like the characters in Seinfeld were.

inflatable dalek
2015-07-31, 02:59 PM
Yeah, Cyclonus was the hero here. He even got to tell a joke. Nice one, Cyclonus.

He certainly earned that cover spot.

Shockwave's plan was actually much nicer - no one would die and they would basically go into Endless Paradise. Brainstorm would have brought about a miserable dystopia if he'd got his way.

But then if they're letting Whirl, Ravage, Megatron and even Cyclonus get away with all their bodycounting then why not let the more abstract crime go by unpunished? It makes the treatment of Drift look weird but that has been addressed in a moderately satisfying way (but seriously, people were chucking rocks [?] at Drift).

Well, every so often someone will decide they randomly don't like Cyclonus, but that is a point. I think the issue is all of those have done good work since their last EVIL act (even Megatron basically saved the entire Universe as he became an Autobot), Brainstorm hasn't had a chance to do anything even remotely redemptive yet.

The shame of it is, it would have only taken a few extra lines here (and the removal of him from the last few issues where he's not really contributed anything only Brainstorm could do) to make this the start of his rehabilitation. It's already established he's an expert on the avatars--including making giant projections of them--so him being let out of house arrest here specifically because it's something he can help with better than even Perceptor as the first testing of his boundaries would have made perfect sense.

But then it is part of the larger problem that we keep coming back to: there are too many characters kicking about and the story is reluctant to cut any of them back. I know Roberts certainly has mad plans for Brainstorm in the future but right now it looks like the sensible editorial choice would have been to leave him in the past to die in prison with Quark. Fully prepared to be proven wrong on that, by the way.

Yeah, what worries me is that it took, what, two and a half years between the cop out non-death of Rung and us getting a story in Elegant Chaos that could only have been done with Rung still alive (that's not to say we didn't get good stuff with him, but it was stuff that any of the 200 others aboard could have been promoted to regular to do). Hopefully Brainstorm's continuation will be made to seem essential a lot sooner.

I find this to be genuinely new information - though growing up I tended to have a lot of disdain for anything that wasn't Seinfeld so I probably just don't have the knowledge to draw from. I will defend Friends though on the grounds that the principles really didn't seem to get on with anyone outside of their increasingly insular and incestuous group. I always felt a bit sorry for them. Mainly because they weren't pleased at that situation like the characters in Seinfeld were.

I don't want to get into stock lazy criticisms of American sitcoms that basically boil down to "We Brits do it better!" (though oddly despite the issue professing to love them a few creep in here--"Everyone lines in massive expensive homes! Canned laughter! The audience whooping every time a main character walks in!), but the cast who really don't want to be together but secretly deep down inside love each other really isn't as much of a thing there.

Channel 4 are currently repeating Everyone Loves Raymond on the mornings and if you want as typical example of an stock American sitcom as its possible to get it might be worth a watch (I don't particularly care for it, but my mother loves it. It's not awful anyway).

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-07-31, 07:35 PM
Still, it was funny, tragic, surprisingly paid off on things I don't think any of us expected to see mentioned again (the meta bomb!...)

<COUGH>

I actually liked that a lot more than I would have expected. Highlights for me were Swerve going back to being an actual character instead of a recap joke page, Megatron's avatar (and the fragile line), Rodimus's avatar (headbands are cool), and First Aid. I like the way he has been getting more development in S2, and I hope it continues after he is done propping Defensor up. And Agent 113 again! I thought that had been quietly forgotten about. The last page made me grin like a loon! :D

Edit: Oh, and Ambulon again. Any Ambulon is gravy in my book. Oh, the irony that he was a gestalt leg, and now First Aid is off to become one. Will Ratchet become one too? Perhaps all TF doctors will start to act as their patients prosthetic limbs if required?

inflatable dalek
2015-07-31, 07:40 PM
<COUGH>

Did someone hear something then?

And has anyone checked in on RacknRuin?

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-07-31, 07:48 PM
Did someone hear something then?

And has anyone checked in on RacknRuin?

Don't worry about the coughing. Worry when the coughing stops...

Auntie Slag
2015-07-31, 08:30 PM
So does Swerve just show up as a minor character with a bit of plating on his shoulder in Chaos? It's not like you ever saw who shot him, is it?

Really happy that so much has been addressed about Swerve after all this time, that Skids is recalling comments from 40 issues ago, as well as that bit of Swerve that we saw back in the Annual, and when Blurr signed his hand.

Looking forward to some more story involving Ambulon. Especially as Rack 'n Ruin mentioned that both he and First Aid share that similarity now.

Loved Rodimus' avatar. The only thing that could have made it better was if he was obviously Stan Bush, and I did think that for a moment!

Nightbeat as Luther and Tailgate as a slightly older child were well done, and it was great to see Rung depicted as he looked on the cover of issue 13, as opposed to how he looked on the pages of issue 13 (the Hedonia issue).

Auntie Slag
2015-07-31, 08:37 PM
And here's a reeeeeeally nice touch; did anyone notice that in the panel where Tailgate is reading out issue 21 (Remain in Light) to everyone, that on the table you can see his straw sitting in a Cyclonus-themed cup, with little Cyclonus horns and rib design?

That could be the start of a new line of merchandise; MTMTE themed character mugs, wouldn't that be the best!

Unicron
2015-07-31, 09:01 PM
So does Swerve just show up as a minor character with a bit of plating on his shoulder in Chaos? It's not like you ever saw who shot him, is it?

Pretty much, yeah (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:Swerve_Chaos_Part4.jpg). And no, no idea who shot him or even when

Auntie Slag
2015-07-31, 09:15 PM
Fantastic notion that First Aid has been keeping an eye out for the next message all this time, only to realise it was right under his nose once he's left the Lost Light. Seriously, how pissed would you be, as a Wreckers über fan, to miss out on the next bit of the story in such a way?

Wouldn't you want to say: "Screw the Combiner Wars, and turn this ship around"!

inflatable dalek
2015-07-31, 09:23 PM
We'd all say that.

Presumably as it's a two (?three? Who has the time scale!) year old message the only useful information that might be in it is the location of the DJD base.

Auntie Slag
2015-07-31, 09:43 PM
It seems to be fairly well known the DJD live on Messatine, and the Autobots built the Delphi mining station there. Was it ever explained why the Autobots did that? Were they also after the super nucleon/energon/nuke stuff that the DJD love?

That might explain why no-one decided to destroy the planet so the Universe could be free of the DJD; everyone was/is after the same valuable stuff.

Pharma, Dogfight and the others must've been pocketing some serious danger money to be mining next to the most notorious killers in the galaxy.
Reminds me of the scene in Clerks re: the debate about contractors working on the Death Star!

Time to go back to the Delphi story for clues. I wonder if Chromedome's ever messed around in Brainstorm's mind? I bet he has, the little tinker! Just like to state again that the most immoral & bastardly-evil character in the entire IDW-verse is Chromedome by a big, wide margin. And still no-one says: "But Chromedome, why is it are you so supremely skilled, and yet not dead like your many cohorts"?

He's behind it all (to a fashion).

Red Dave Prime
2015-07-31, 10:21 PM
I always though the reason the autobots didnt take out the DJD was that during the war they were doing a good job at taking out their own. And I always felt that their strength over powerful decepticons would be their insider knowledge. Put them up against Autobots and it would be a closer battle. At least I thought this until they butchered the ALL (but that can be explained by the nuke) This would also explain why Megatron didnt push them to the front line more often - they are powerful but not THAT powerful.

Never could fully comprehend why Delphi was so close to the DJD by choice it would seem.

Just a thought on what the buttle means for Agent 113 - I think its his termination notice. It happens before Roberts takes over writing and we know Vos is a new addition to the DJD but Agent 113 has been there a while so I'm wondering if maybe the previous Vos was Agent 113, he was outed and sends out one final message before being killed and then we get the new Vos.

Thats my shot anyway.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-08-01, 01:47 PM
Hmm, the bullet message. My guess is we are about to get another Skids revelation. He seems popular, and has been set up as the first crew member to care enough about Swerve to check on him. Time for the news that he used to be Agent 113, and as such did unspeakable things, to drop. That should explain the Empyrean Suite in his head and Chromedome keeping his memories hidden.

On the topic of Chromedome, why do get this image of the entire crew being exposed to UV light, and every single one of them has needle scars on the back of their neck? Kind of a horror reveal, that one. I agree that Chromedome is one of the most morally questionable people on board. How does anyone around him know that their memories haven't been manipulated? He has already shown he is willing to jump someone and inject against their will.

God Jinrai
2015-08-03, 11:15 PM
...so, for all the jabbing and jibing, I had to throw this one at ya folks.

a spin on the Cheers theme, by a Raelien called "Where Ten can't even say your name".

just a little more humor for the sake of what they were shooting for- since Swerve all but worshiped the sitcom concept.

https://soundcloud.com/raelien/where-ten-can-t-even-say-your-name?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=wtshare&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_content=https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fraelien%2Fwhere-ten-can-t-even-say-your-name

Red Dave Prime
2015-08-03, 11:19 PM
On the topic of Chromedome, why do get this image of the entire crew being exposed to UV light, and every single one of them has needle scars on the back of their neck? Kind of a horror reveal, that one. I agree that Chromedome is one of the most morally questionable people on board. How does anyone around him know that their memories haven't been manipulated? He has already shown he is willing to jump someone and inject against their will.

Thats an awesome idea for a splash panel.

Terome
2015-08-04, 05:13 PM
...so, for all the jabbing and jibing, I had to throw this one at ya folks.

a spin on the Cheers theme, by a Raelien called "Where Ten can't even say your name".

just a little more humor for the sake of what they were shooting for- since Swerve all but worshiped the sitcom concept.

https://soundcloud.com/raelien/where-ten-can-t-even-say-your-name?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=wtshare&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_content=https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fraelien%2Fwhere-ten-can-t-even-say-your-name

Fine work!

Auntie Slag
2015-08-06, 09:30 PM
Does anyone know why Mirage was on a slab in the ship with First Aid and Groove? Was he ill or had he been shot?

On a side note; with Getaway being somewhat dodgy, I'm wondering if there's a link between him and Tyrest. I mean that Tyrest was able to rather spectacularly work out how to engineer the nudge gun into a thought weapon on his own staff that could affect multiple opponents. If he was able to do that, and he's got people so skilled that they could save Pharma and Magnus from near spark shutdown, he must've done something to Getaway.

Skyquake87
2015-09-13, 10:51 AM
Presumably Mirage is on the slab so he can go off and be in Combiner Wars (he's got an upcoming toy, I do believe). I assume the other Protectobots are squeezed in there off panel too.

So yeah, I'm a bit behind (again) and I have just read 43 and 44 back to back. I enjoyed this one, it was nice to have a bit of focus thrown back on Swerve after he's been largely ignored in (grumble) 'Season Two'. I'd agree with Dalek's assessment that the sitcom tropes chosen don't fit well with what Swerve was describing, surely the likes of Black Books would have been more appropriate? I'm guessing Friends and whatnot were chosen for the US audience whom might otherwise be non-plussed if, say Blackadder was used as a frame of reference.

I did find some of the avatars being based on known fictional characters (Luther, Marty McFly, The Ninth Doctor) a bit distracting, but did like Nautica's and think I have on crush on Bluestreak's, which makes me feel ...weird. Cyclonus I found looked a bit like a fella in drag, as the features of her face were quite sharp and masculine looking (especially the jawline), which can often be a fault of Manga stylings.