PDA

View Full Version : Prepare to face Podcast Maximus!

Denyer
1983-12-08, 03:29 PM
http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/themes/exposure_podcastmaximus/forumgraphic.png (http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/)

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/

inflatable dalek
2015-08-10, 09:11 PM
This is an idea started by a PM from Auntie Slag, who pointed out that with the Underbase having cut back on their output it might be a nice idea to have a new Transformers comic/s podcast to pick up the slack. Amidst conversations with the other mods the idea has grown, so this thread is mainly about seeing if:

A: There's any interest.

and

B: What people might want.

A majority of the mods are interested in giving it a go (except Warcry, who is scared of fire and doesn't trust that wheel thing), with Clay looking to be the technical guy on making editing and Skype work, Slag has offered to help out as well.

So what we have so far:

a name: Arkast. I came up with that (and without much in the way of recording equipment it may remain my most substantial contribution for a while).

An expanded remit from Slag's original comic idea as those who don't read IDW's output are keen to do stuff on the toys/other aspects of the franchise.

So what would you peeps be interested in? A super long (probably monthly considering the difficulty of getting people together) podcast covering everything, or more regular ones where each episode looks at a specific thing, be it a comic review, toy talk or my 83 hour long dissertation on how KAAR is Peter Cullen's best role?

What range of subjects would you like to see covered? Traditional reviews or more esoteric discussions on ideas and themes? Retro or just the modern media and toys?

And is there anyone who'd like to join in? I think we're aiming to try and make this a community project, so if anyone is desperate to throw their hat in the ring because of their burning passion to talk about subject B at great length, let us know.

My main thinking on format is mainly to avoid my biggest bugbear on podcasts, where it feels as if the hosts have accidentally hit record about an hour before they actually start on the topic of the show and you wind up hearing lots of inane details about their entire lives. Creating a presenter persona is fine, but it's always better to do that whilst actually keeping on subject. Especially in a long podcast.

All thoughts, ideas and suggestions welcome.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-10, 09:27 PM
B: What people might want.

A five minute runtime and the name "Arkast" to be pronounced exclusively in a Lancashire accent so it sounds like "our cast".

Red Dave Prime
2015-08-10, 11:05 PM
Interesting stuff. Listened to a lot of the underbase stuff and I think there could be a gap. Could we get mcfeely? He was the highlight for me

Selkadoom
2015-08-11, 12:46 AM
I'd be intrrested myself but only to hear you ramble inanely. I won't have my podcasts sullied by such things as promptness or god forbid getting straight to the point. No I want an hour and a half rambling on over a miscolored panel in an eastern european exclusive pack in comic. But in all seriousness I'd like ro see what you whip up.

Dead Man Wade
2015-08-11, 03:26 PM
Personally, I'd be more interested in more esoteric subject matter. There are no shortage of reviews all over the internet, so I think if you have something different and unusual to say about the fandom in general, or the media in particular, that's where the sweet spot is going to lie. That's not to say that reviews couldn't have a place, depending on length of the podcast; I just don't think they should be the focus.

inflatable dalek
2015-08-11, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the (useful) feedback so far folks. Something a bit out of left field is looking to be the popular choice then.

Hound and Sades read love poetry to each other?

Skyquake87
2015-08-11, 08:06 PM
What Wade said.

I would also like it to be fairly concise - anything over an hour and I just loose interest (sorry. Makes me a terrible person, but y'know, life and stuffs - a couple of friends from my comic book circles started a podcast, and it is great, but its two and half hours plus on a good day, and I stopped listening because I just haven't the time).

It should probably involve beer.

And definitely Hound and Sades doing love poetry.

Dead Man Wade
2015-08-11, 10:46 PM
Now that they have a kid, it's more likely to be passive-aggressive sniping about the kid.

So, you know, comedy gold.

Sades
2015-08-11, 11:11 PM
Why? Why. Just why. You people.

I'm writing the poetry myself, then. It will all be Sylvanian Families/Gokaiger themed, with the occasional Pokemon reference.

Unicron
2015-08-11, 11:55 PM
If someone doesn't make at least one reference to people being replaced by alien duplicates I'm going to be disappointed

Selkadoom
2015-08-12, 04:58 AM
If someone doesn't make at least one reference to people being replaced by alien duplicates I'm going to be disappointed

Implying Cliffy hasn't Murdered and replaced us all with LMD's

Unicron
2015-08-12, 12:00 PM
Implying Cliffy hasn't Murdered and replaced us all with LMD's

Gotta deflect suspicion somehow

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-12, 01:21 PM
The podcast should definitely include exclusive and exciting news stories brought to you by the Weekly World Transformers team.

Terome
2015-08-12, 02:49 PM
I like the sound of my own voice so I'd be keen to talk comics, just like I do round here. Touching base with whatever show is on might be nice too.

Under an hour is good. I'd push for 45 minutes at the most. Who wants the punishing task of editing it?

I'd be in favour of keeping things trim and - I may be dead wrong here - not having interviews with anyone currently involved in the media so as to keep a distance from what we're yakking about. That might just mean that no one will listen to it.

ADDITIONAL: I think it would be neat to emphasise the qualities of this place rather than the fandom at large. A quick update on what's happening in the RPG and The Lost Seasons, for instance, would be something that nobody else could do.

inflatable dalek
2015-08-12, 05:18 PM
We could always just not edit it, pure Derek and Clive stuff.

Welcome aboard Terome!

Whilst I think being to the point is a good idea, let's face it, there's no way a typical conversation around here on MTMTE will last for less than an hour.

If it's a sporadically produced podcast (at least initially) it could well wind up being a lengthy one, there's always the option of breaking it up into parts or even people just listening to it in chunks of the length that works for them.

The RPG and Lost Season updates stuff is an interesting idea, is that something people who play those things would be interested in?

It might also be worth noting that (as I think--with the end of Underbase--the last podcast I listen to regularly that doesn't have a Patron/Kickstarter/sponsorship is James Bond Radio) we'll be doing this with our own time and resources unaided, so there will be rough edges.

But that means we're not sell out like those lovely lyrical professional podcasts! Am I right?

No?

Auntie Slag
2015-08-12, 07:54 PM
I think if it starts off sporadic people will lose interest very quickly, it doesn't look professional either. It would have to be published to time, like once a month or something like a regular podcast, otherwise Roger C. Carmel wouldn't touch us with a bargepole!

Selkadoom
2015-08-12, 08:21 PM
I would love to hear about updates with the RPG on ot as it may help drag some more new blood into it. Also I agree with Slag that needing some professional feel would be good. A nice little intro tune and such goes a long way.

Terome
2015-08-13, 12:30 PM
A quick interview with you or Warcry would suffice. I would do it - I shamefully have no idea how the RPG works or what goes on in there so any questions I ask would be on par with any that listeners would have.

If we want to keep it regular and manageable then I reckon we should have discrete 'bits' that different people are responsible for. Providing five minutes of content a month is far less daunting than turning in an hour.

So far, inferring from the above, we're thinking:
Comic talk
Newest Acquisitions
Weekly World Transformers
RPG update
Lost Seasons update
Some sort of 'esoterica' bit - unearthing some strange artifact from the fandom or franchise perhaps?

That should cover a decent running time easily.

Denyer
2015-08-13, 01:20 PM
Could also do longer form "specials" on particular topics?

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-13, 01:32 PM
Answers to listeners' questions! Some form of mailbag thing where I write in and say how the show's rubbish and you have to read it out and agree with me. Or something. Other people can obviously write in and say the show's rubbish too, but I'm happy to do it if nobody else has.

Or a spot where a listener suggests a topic and then you all have to talk about it for five minutes and whoever has the worst opinion gets voted off the island.

Dead Man Wade
2015-08-13, 03:43 PM
Ultimately, I'd be most interested in something akin to Cracked's After Hours. Most of the minutae has been covered to death several times over, but if you find a way to tie it together and make an overall point about Transformers as a whole, that's what's going to set you apart.

As for the RPG stuff Selkadoom brought up, as someone who's never had much of anything to do with it, I can tell you that you're going to probably be disappointed if you're expecting a recap to bring in new players. Seems like anyone who has any interest is already a part of it to some degree already.

Clay
2015-08-13, 04:28 PM
Synergizing of esoteric aspects of the brand? I can help with that.

Selkadoom
2015-08-13, 06:39 PM
Ultimately, I'd be most interested in something akin to Cracked's After Hours. Most of the minutae has been covered to death several times over, but if you find a way to tie it together and make an overall point about Transformers as a whole, that's what's going to set you apart.

As for the RPG stuff Selkadoom brought up, as someone who's never had much of anything to do with it, I can tell you that you're going to probably be disappointed if you're expecting a recap to bring in new players. Seems like anyone who has any interest is already a part of it to some degree already.

I can see your point but I was thinking maybe the podcast would draw more new eyes to the sight and such. Its rare that my cynical facade breaks to show such optimism but here's hoping.

inflatable dalek
2015-08-14, 02:55 PM
So looking at the feedback, we're probably not going to do something that will please everyone (unless we can come up with a tightly focused short esoteric wide ranging podcast), but we're going to mull things over and start experimenting with Skype recordings and so on (Slag and Terome--and indeed anyone else who fancies taking part--if you PM your Skype handles to Clay he's currently having a fiddle to see what works).

EDIT: Oh, and Sades and Hound are only allowed to do Transformers themed love poetry. "Let me compare thee to a Michael Bay" and so on.

Skyquake87
2015-08-14, 07:35 PM
"Let me compare thee to a Michael Bay ,BOOM! Kapow! SKRAGADOOOOOM! Peeow! Zap!"

Sades
2015-08-15, 12:40 AM
Let me compare thee to a Michael Bay

Oh my god.

I so want to write that poem...

Cliffjumper
2015-08-15, 05:59 PM
Whilst I think being to the point is a good idea, let's face it, there's no way a typical conversation around here on MTMTE will last for less than an hour.

Eh, I think you'd be amazed how short that sort of thing would be in this medium, or at least how quickly people would stop listening after more than 3-4 minutes on one narrow subject, especially if it's just the usual devalued gushing praise from the Cult of Roberts.

Denyer
2015-08-15, 06:18 PM
I'm probably not representative (the only things I get chance to listen to in the way of podcasts is some of the Richard Herring ones, and even that's more a case of switching on, tuning out and at some point realising it's finished) but the only people I'd listen to talking at that sort of length about comics would generally be the authors, and only if they had something particular to say. Robert LLewellyn's Carpool episodes run to about 30mins max with -- and I'm not saying you're all dull ****ers -- really interesting and varied people.

Other than those my listening's usually shorter YT videos. I've lost track of how many TV series I've started and have no idea which episode I got to in.

A mix of a regular show with segments about a range of topics plus some longer form specials with more in-depth discussion seems like it could work. Depends what sort of audience(s) you're going for.

edit:Arkast
It's not very clear as a name. Even spelling it out as "Ark-kast" or "Ark-cast" doesn't convey Transformers. Plus people are likely to spell out what it is, so "the Arkast podcast" sounds redundant.

"Moonbase Podcast" worked without being too copyright infringe-y. Maccadam's is taken, yeah? If there's a comics slant or you're seriously going to air love poetry, Innermost Energon might be worth considering before someone else nabs it?

edit2: Plus it'd be an excuse for drinking.

StoneCold Skywarp
2015-08-15, 08:00 PM
Have a pre-determined time frame in mind, 45-60 minutes is good and usually has enough time space to get points across, get side tracked and bring it back around again.
I listen to 3-4 podcasts regularly and they all generally run about that time, anything longer (longest one I ever listened to was 3 hours and it was tantamount to torture) is too much. People, like myself, tend to listen to podcasts on commute to/from work or when they're doing something else.
Have a loose theme for the show, but don't try to stick to it hard and fast, let conversation flow whatever way it goes.
Check out http://incompetech.com/music/ for some royalty free intro/outro music too. Don't have more than 3-4 people on and don't talk over each other if you can avoid it.

Decide early if you're going Universal or 18+ too...or middle ground, more nudity than a 12A would allow, less violence than a 15 would suggest ;)

I also did a lot of sound editing in college, I can't imagine it's changed too much if anyone needs help there.

*skulks back to the shadows*

Auntie Slag
2015-08-15, 08:47 PM
If its a mix of everything here, maybe The Transformers Archive Podcast would suffice? Its really boring and unimaginative, but it may convey that the podcast reflects what you can expect to find here.

It would show us using two mediums portraying our subject in a different way. Maybe the unique selling point would be that here is a podcast using the branches of its community first and foremost. Not just four guys in a tin box laughing exaggeratedly at each others comments.

Totally agree with Skywarp's length (Oo-er!) It would need to be policed too, a lot of those Underbase episodes talked interminably about non-Transformers stuff before finally getting around to the subject title e.g. RID Issue 14.

Anyone can make a shite, meandering podcast with crap sound. It takes strength, intelligence, speed, endurance, rank, courage, firepower and skill to make a concise, listenable one.

Red Dave Prime
2015-08-15, 09:04 PM
That last paragraph is gold. Well done auntie.

Auntie Slag
2015-08-15, 09:10 PM
How cool it would be to hear a Transformers podcast that has the production value of a BBC one? It wouldn't be impossible. Someone in this thread mentioned Chris McFeely being the star voice of the Underboss podcast. He definitely brought the best value and had the most interesting things to say.

Selkadoom
2015-08-15, 10:51 PM
I agree that 45 to 60 is good length in terms of time. Though I feel the intro/outro music should be relevant somehow to TF. Whether it's as simple as one of you drunkenly yammering the G1 theme to an orchestral rendition of The Touch It'd help. And I know that feeling of going to the end of a podcast ro hear less than 2 minutes on the title topic.

StoneCold Skywarp
2015-08-15, 10:56 PM
The problem there, selkadoom, is licensing.

Hence go royalty free, there's plenty electronic style stuff on there if someone's prepared to go through them.

I like it in the shadows. It's cosy and not as moist as you'd expect.

Auntie Slag
2015-08-16, 12:30 AM
Podcast title ideas:

- Robots that change their outward appearance.
- More than meets the ear.
- Ch ch ch ch changes.
- Podcast through tyranny.

Denyer
2015-08-16, 01:12 AM
Maybe you could get away with "[recreation of the transformation sound effect] Changes" ?

Sades
2015-08-16, 02:00 AM
Soundwaves.

Soundcast? Never mind, googled, someone sort-of using that one. Still prefer first one, anyway.

Denyer
2015-08-16, 02:05 AM
The Big Broadcast [of 201x]?

Sades
2015-08-16, 02:05 AM
The Big Broadcast [of 201x]?

Ooh, I like it :up:

Hasn't that sort of been used as well, though? Or am I misremembering?

Selkadoom
2015-08-16, 02:08 AM

Hence go royalty free, there's plenty electronic style stuff on there if someone's prepared to go through them.

I like it in the shadows. It's cosy and not as moist as you'd expect.

That is true but fan covers are generally ignored in that regard.

inflatable dalek
2015-08-16, 03:42 AM
Heavily edited post for reasons that are just odd.

Hound
2015-08-16, 05:03 AM
I have to agree with Dalek here. This is not going to be a professional sounding podcast. None of us have the money for that.

This is going to be a few of us fans talking about whatever Transformers related topics we've decided we're discussing that episode. Trying our best to stay on topic and have fun with it.

And not talk over eachother. I so hate it when hosts talk over eachother.

Knightdramon
2015-08-16, 10:48 AM
Podcast title ideas:

- Robots that change their outward appearance.
- More than meets the ear.
- Ch ch ch ch changes.
- Podcast through tyranny.

Like the middle two :up:

Last one, while cool sounding, could attract the wrong crowd or give the wrong impression :lol:

Auntie Slag
2015-08-16, 11:01 AM
A professional sounding podcast can be done by almost anyone and it doesn’t cost money. A good execution with some thought and a decent team working on it are more important, I think that's what a lot of people don't have. If you have reasonable laptop with a mic built-in, a quiet room and you keep yourself the right distance from the mic then you’re halfway there. Recording can be done for free and uploaded to a shared Dropbox account.

From there a team could put all the bits together, edit and adjust sound levels as necessary and publish the finished podcast to the Archive. The bit where most people fail is because they twitter on for too long about nothing and no-one can be bothered to edit, and typically one person will be sitting as far away from the mic as possible, talking through a sock.

Oh yeah, and the talking over each other, god that wastes so much time. And they usually want to say the same thing! The most anyone might have to pay is the cost of a shareware recording program.

Auntie Slag
2015-08-16, 11:03 AM
Last one, while cool sounding, could attract the wrong crowd or give the wrong impression :lol:

Oh god that's true. Don't need no poets and miners here!

Denyer
2015-08-16, 11:39 AM
Would recommend a USB mic if laptop or jack ones pick up interference. But at a guess phones/tablets have that covered if the intention is to do something like record with video on Skype so that there are visual cues to avoid interrupting and edit audio afterwards.

Wouldn't imagine shareware/commercial products are necessary with Audacity available. Or it's not intended for multi track editing, so it's almost like splicing tape, but there's always good old CoolEdit96. (Hmm, never realised that eventually became Adobe Audition. Or if I did it's been long-forgotten.)

Red Dave Prime
2015-08-16, 12:57 PM
Cant we just use soundwave?

I'll get my coat....

Auntie Slag
2015-08-16, 01:17 PM
- RadioheadMasters.
- Robot Points of View.
- Mint in Podcast.
- Change is as good as a rest.
- Podcast Maximus.
- Cybertron Legacy.
- Robot cereal.
- Bucketheads.
- Inside Vector Sigma Smith.
- Traanis-missions
- I am a Furman in love: Barbara Streisand's Guide to Transformers.
- Fusion canon.

Tetsuro
2015-08-16, 02:32 PM
I also like the sound of "Big Broadcast of 201X".

Either that or "Talk! Mediocre Human No-Life Transformers".

Hound
2015-08-16, 03:42 PM
I like "Podcast Maximus"

Sades
2015-08-16, 05:26 PM
Traanis-missions. :lol:

Or robot cereal. That sounds like a fun morning show.

Cliffjumper
2015-08-16, 05:46 PM
I like "Podcast Maximus"

I CONCUR. "Internet, prepare to face PODCAST MAXIMUS!" *Sunbow dramatic sting, sound of dweeb pressing buttons*

Selkadoom
2015-08-16, 09:53 PM
I like "Podcast Maximus"

I like it too.

inflatable dalek
2015-08-17, 11:34 AM
A professional sounding podcast can be done by almost anyone and it doesn’t cost money.

I think you're slightly underestimating the amount of work that has to go into these things, don't forget the reason Underbase is cutting drastically back is because the hosts don't have the time in their own lives to keep it up to that standard anymore, and we're all at least as busy as they are. From following various people on twitter and facebook, doing it well does take a huge amount of time and effort, especially with the post production editing.

It'll be people talking toot for an hour or so, as long as it's vaguely coherant I think it'll be OK even if it's not up to professional podcast levels (we'd never equal a BBC podcast for example, if nothing else they're an edited highlights package of a much longer show).

That's not to do down the plans or sound pessimistic, it's just I don't think we want to shoot too high. Especially on the first few.

All being well, Terome and I are going to try experiment with talking to and recording at some point in my fortnight off, if we wind up with something vaguely not awful we might even put it out as a test (I've not told him that yet, it's a fun surprise!).

Red Dave Prime
2015-08-17, 11:57 AM
Just make sure to advertise your book ��

inflatable dalek
2015-08-17, 12:00 PM
Did somebody mention A BOOK (http://thesolarpool.weebly.com/book-shop.html)?

Brendocon 2.0
2015-08-17, 12:13 PM
Admittedly I've only skimmed the posts in question, but I get the impression there's some crossed-purposes going on in regards to "not Professional Level" equating to "sounding like it's been made in a shed with a tape recorder".

There's a difference between wanting it to sound like the most polished thing in the world, and just wanting it to sound as good as possible given the available resources. Nobody wants to hear "well we're not professionals" as an excuse for Radio Ed Wood. Not that I think anybody's saying that, but things seem to be veering toward Binary Argument territory when there's plenty of middle ground to be had.

Just because it's not being done professionally doesn't mean it has to sound like a bunch of amateurs. Professional-sounding DNE professional. Fake it until you make it, etc and so on.

If I've misread the situation, just feel free to ignore me. It's the best thing to do anyway.

inflatable dalek
2015-08-17, 02:00 PM
Oh I'm certainly over compensating too much in the other direction, mainly because it won't be me doing most of the work and I don't want to break the poor buggers doing the bulk of the talking/editing.

Skyquake87
2015-08-17, 08:11 PM
So long as everyone speaks clearly and into the microphone, it'll all be gold. So long as there's someone hosting to stop things running on and on and on into uncomfortable silences...oh, and it doesn't become self indulgent. Not that I find anyone on here to be egotistical, but some of the folks out there in podcast land grind my gears with their inflated sense of their own importance.

Auntie Slag
2015-08-17, 08:55 PM
Yeah, if we can nail the technical aspects and set aside enough time for the editing then that would be a massive, massive leap over most podcasts.

This would leave a path clear for the all-important hosts to develop their styles and voices. Most people take a good while to find their natural rhythm. So Mr Skyquake, for example, could end up orating like Ian McKellan by episode 24 :-) I'm sure you sound sexy as hell already Skyquake, but you know what I mean. And if you're happy to beat the others savagely for over-indulgence, I'm happy to help put in all the hours Allah sends to edit out the uncomfortable silences :)

Red Dave Prime
2015-08-17, 11:40 PM
I've always felt podcasts follow a curve - initial episodes are a bit stuffy as presenters find their voice (as Slag points out) and the tech and format are nailed down, then we get the sweet spot where there is a natural flow to things and the podcast has its own character. Than (and not always) is the fall, where the podcast becomes too aware of what people liked about it and the pandering begins.

Still, I'd be very much into listening to this podcast if only to put some more voices to profiles here (Thanks to his youtube vids I know Dalek, but thats all) and regardless of reviews, the debates about MTMTE on here are usual very interesting so I reckon there should be the bones of a good panel.

Just dont do this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqtSDE261fQ

Also:

Did somebody mention A BOOK (http://thesolarpool.weebly.com/book-shop.html)?

Just ordered. Better be lots of new content... :)

Auntie Slag
2015-08-17, 11:45 PM
Re: The youtube vid - Ah Dave, that's classic!

Cyberstrike nTo
2015-08-18, 01:05 AM
As much as I love to ramble on I don't have a recording voice.

Tetsuro
2015-08-19, 05:52 PM
Well CDX usually talk about their newest reviews in their podcasts (I think), so maybe that's something you could do, too...

StoneCold Skywarp
2015-08-20, 01:03 PM
From what I've listened to also. If it's a 2 person podcast then it's possible that both can lead the conversation to a point. A 3 person podcast tends to work better with 1 person steering the ship and 2 opinionists (you get what I mean) and 4 person tends to have elements of both (2 lead at points and 2 offer flavour/opinion).

Oh look, a slinky...!

Hound
2015-08-20, 06:08 PM
These were all points I was going to make also...

Sades
2015-08-22, 05:53 AM
So I bought a new microphone headset to cancel out ambient noise, and so that I don't spend my time on Skype yelling into the mic. To test it, I got Hound to log on in the bedroom on his computer. We've been talking for like a half hour now...

Is that sad?

edit: It is now officially sad. He's just saying "POOPERRRRR" over and over again... I am countering with "SCOOPERRRRR"

Skyquake87
2015-08-22, 08:50 AM
Podcast gold!

Tetsuro
2015-08-22, 09:56 AM
Podcast gold!
I misread that as "poopcast gold".

It begins.

Sades
2015-08-22, 04:13 PM
No, no. God, no. Trust me, no.

Auntie Slag
2015-08-22, 04:38 PM
Who would be interested in being a voice and who would be a back-room, 40-a day editor with a latent heart condition?

Also, would the episode content be clearly broken up, much like the forum itself e.g. an Ident/sting to indicate its time for the RPG, or the new toys section for example?

Who do people make their nominations to?

StoneCold Skywarp
2015-08-26, 07:15 PM
Have any of the staffers, who are probably working on this in the background, came up with a format or idea of how many people there would be on it, how many hosts? I think once that's down then the host/hosts can work a loose structure from that?

In a specific interest podcast (mostly 40k ones I listened to) they tended to have an announcements section at the start (so could be site updates, new content etc) then a dedicated topic (whatever is going on at the time) then an anything else section at the end.

I think a podcast that would go released only to a test audience might be an idea to see how things flow once a "cast" has been assembled and for constructive criticism.

this is also the most I've visited and posted in a topic in years.

inflatable dalek
2015-08-26, 07:27 PM
Terome and I will be doing a test recording on Friday afternoon, just to see if we can as much as anything. It'll have a subject (Auto Assembly! Probably more about Terome's first time experiences as I've waxed very lyrical already) so if it's not terrible it will probably be going up as the "Pilot", possibly with other stuff recorded by others to make it a multi subject show, that all depends on the length (and it's not something we've really talked about yet).

I think with all of us being in different time zones and very busy, format and number of presenters for the regular show will be pretty flexible by necessity.

Tomorrow will be mainly about me putting Skype on my PC (technically I could do it on my tablet--which would have the advantage of video rather than just the audio so Terome could look at my lovely face as we recorded--but if we do comic reviews I'll need the tablet to reference the issues!) and getting it and the fancy pants headphone mike I've just bought to work.

inflatable dalek
2015-08-28, 04:10 PM
For those awaiting this with baited breath, we have recorded!

Terome is editing our waffle down and then there's some additional work to be done introducing (because we still don't have a name and there may be some additional content) and goodbying it (because we were insane crazy people by the end there and totally failed to do anything that sounded like English), but we have at least the bare bones of a podcast.

Denyer
2015-09-05, 10:26 PM
Podcast Maximus Episode 1

AUTOASSEMBLY 2015: Terome talks about what it was like to be a first time convention attendee at the last Auto Assembly and we ask whether James Roberts can crush a man's skull with his mighty hands. We're sorry about the sound problems with this episode.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_1.mp3

Denyer
2015-09-05, 10:37 PM
A few sound problems in the recording but things should get better now there's a pilot done and folk are getting used to microphones, software, etc.

I believe other people have plans to record this weekend and during the week, so a standard format may emerge, but for the moment it's going to be people discussing TF (and possibly other) stuff that interests them without too many guidelines and we'll see how that goes.

electro girl
2015-09-05, 10:52 PM
Turns out I've been pronouncing Denyer wrong in my head for years.

Also I wanna make a Transformers zine now.

another tf fan
2015-09-06, 07:28 AM
Cool

inflatable dalek
2015-09-06, 05:27 PM
Turns out I've been pronouncing Denyer wrong in my head for years.

Also I wanna make a Transformers zine now.

We usually pronounce it "Sir".

Selkadoom
2015-09-07, 04:56 AM
We usually pronounce it "Sir".

I was very disappointed by this. You barely rammed that book down our throat. I was expecting every bit of dialogue not about Auto Assembly to be advertising shamelessly.

Skyquake87
2015-09-07, 06:57 PM
I am listening to this...RIGHT NOW! I like that Dalek sounds like an actual dalek :)

...more thoughts will follow when my ears are full

MY EARS ARE FULL OF PODCAST. Enjoyed that, nice and breezy. Some good critique of the convention itself and (hooray!) not self-indulgent. Like the bouncy, squelchy sounding theme tune. What is that?

inflatable dalek
2015-09-07, 08:36 PM
You need to do at least two before you can start being self indulgent with nonsensical to anyone who hasn't listened before injokes.

The vocal effect was deliberate, I thought we should **** off the audiophiles as quickly as possible.

EDIT: Though I'm glad it works, it was hard to be objective from my point of view because I knew all the stuff we cut out, I was especially worried about losing what made us going very hysterical towards the end in case it sounded as if we started having a breakdown for no reason.

Ryan F
2015-09-07, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I enjoyed that. Very much. With podcasts it's not necessarily just about the content, but also how engaging it is, what the banter is like, how people bounce off each other.

Despite the sound issues, that was surprisingly smooth for a first attempt. Looking forward to hearing more!

Brendocon 2.0
2015-09-07, 10:14 PM
The vocal effect was deliberate

Assumed that was just the Kiddy accent.

Denyer
2015-09-07, 10:45 PM
Like the bouncy, squelchy sounding theme tune. What is that?

It's a short clip of https://soundcloud.com/hazeltron/resuscitation-demo

(Other credits on the site page).

I like that Dalek sounds like an actual dalek :)
He's done self help stuff as well -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e59guruVL4o

Terome
2015-09-08, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the kind words, folks. Hound, Dalek and myself recorded a chat about MTMTE 44 this morning. It should be in a presentable form quite soon.

Denyer
2015-09-13, 08:46 PM
Podcast Maximus Episode 2

MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE: Dalek and Terome get together with honorary UK-er Hound to give their take on #44 and More Than Meets The Eye in general.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_2.mp3

inflatable dalek
2015-09-13, 09:00 PM
Amusingly when we talked I was the one saying nice things about James Raiz, but a side effect of the edit is that what was me just reminding Mr. Hound of the name of the artist we'd talked about a few minutes before is now basically me going "Bad Dark Cybertron artist? That's Jams Raiz that is".

Brendocon 2.0
2015-09-13, 09:10 PM
That's Jams Raiz that is".

I hope you actually said Jams.

Denyer
2015-09-13, 09:15 PM
How long was the original this time?

inflatable dalek
2015-09-13, 09:15 PM
I hope you actually said Jams.

You'll have to listen to find out!

I think I've got this clickbait thing down pat.

EDIT: I think by the time we started recording it worked out at just over an hour.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-09-13, 09:19 PM
You'll have to listen to find out!

I've still not started MTMTE so that's a no.

Skyquake87
2015-09-13, 10:14 PM
I have listened to find out!

Whoop. Another good round table, and I liked hearing Hound's lovely Canadian tones :) Nice balance in the discussion too, and some excellent trivia from Mr Terome about Trevor Hutchinson. Shame Dalek's voice is no longer like a dalek, but I did enjoy the silly way "Podcast Maximus!" was boomed out.

Good show, folks!

Terome
2015-09-14, 11:44 AM
Amusingly when we talked I was the one saying nice things about James Raiz, but a side effect of the edit is that what was me just reminding Mr. Hound of the name of the artist we'd talked about a few minutes before is now basically me going "Bad Dark Cybertron artist? That's Jams Raiz that is".

Sorry about that - it was difficult to get it so that it came up naturally. I was mainly trying to keep things on track about this issue rather than musing over Dark Cybertron from ages past.

Skyquake: Good show, folks!

Thanks!

Denyer: How long was the original this time?

It's true, just over an hour of recording. Then roughly half an hour off-mic. We had a big old chat!

inflatable dalek
2015-09-14, 08:34 PM
Sorry about that - it was difficult to get it so that it came up naturally. I was mainly trying to keep things on track about this issue rather than musing over Dark Cybertron from ages past.

I also see the podcast wound up exactly too long by the length of time it took me to tell the story of what was exactly too long to go in the first podcast that drove us to hysterics. I'm going to start telling that story in every one until it gets in! ;)

Summerhayes
2015-09-21, 04:31 PM
Hello friends! I have returned from rarely being sober enough to type to say: I listened to your podcast. It was nice. Well, I listened to episode 1 and will listen to 2 once I've read the appropriate Comicbook issue.

I'm a major, major podcast addict; I listen to them while I do chores and cook, at the gym, at work whenever I can escape customers... So a new one to listen to is very welcome. And it's not about games!

My feedback so far:
you had a nice conversational tone and a sense of humour which is key
You didn't feel over edited, which can be super annoying
The opening and closing bits sounded like Stu was phoning his computer from a 1988 car phone

Hoping this will run and run so I'll have some robo-chat in my rolling list of podcasts. Cheers guys!

inflatable dalek
2015-09-21, 04:40 PM
Thanks you podcast whore you. The next one (without me on it! I hope they do the PODCAST MAXIMUS thing) talking about toys is currently being edited by Mr Clay.

Terome and I will probably be doing a Chaos Theory retro lookback when I return from hanging out with Sir Roger Moore towards the end of the week.

And we've got something very special lined up for early November.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-09-21, 04:51 PM
Thanks you podcast whore you. The next one (without me on it! I hope they do the PODCAST MAXIMUS thing) talking about toys is currently being edited by Mr Clay.

Terome and I will probably be doing a Chaos Theory retro lookback when I return from hanging out with Sir Roger Moore towards the end of the week.

Bond quote from Moore in the next podcast or GTFO.

Unicron
2015-09-21, 04:55 PM
Bond quote from Moore in the next podcast or GTFO.
Bonus points if the quote is from a Bond movie he wasn't in

Summerhayes
2015-09-21, 04:56 PM

Live audio sex tape?

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-09-21, 05:14 PM
Live audio sex tape?

I think you'll find most of the podcast hosts are respectably upstanding, and will stick to oral intercourse only.

Dalek, though... :noevil:

Summerhayes
2015-09-21, 05:43 PM
Man, misunderstood the phrase "oral intercourse" majorly at first glance.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-09-21, 07:25 PM
Man, misunderstood the phrase "oral intercourse" majorly at first glance.

We've all been there, even if it is our mother tongue.

another tf fan
2015-09-21, 07:42 PM
I'm a regular podcast listener.

I enjoy news and politics podcasts daily and a few of the TF related ones weekly.

I thought the podcast Maximus was ok, but Dalek's awful sound was virtually unlistenable.

Please, knock it off and find a proper microphone.

Thanks.

Denyer
2015-09-21, 08:13 PM
Which one? The pilot's pretty shit audio quality. Second was done with a different mic.

inflatable dalek
2015-09-21, 08:27 PM
Annoying the audiophiles was a goal. Objective: Achieved!

That device/mic will likely be used on future ones depending on if I have to record on the tablet so do beware. But do also do remember this doesn't cost you anything and no one forces you to listen to it.

EDIT: To be fair there was a please and thanks in there, which I missed so the original version of this post is cheekier than it should be.

Summerhayes
2015-09-21, 08:47 PM
But do also do remember this doesn't cost you anything and no one forces you to listen to it.
Imagine a world where people online understood that.

Skyquake87
2015-09-21, 08:50 PM
...or anything at all.

inflatable dalek
2015-09-21, 09:28 PM
Sorry Skyquake, I can't understand your point unlesss you use a Minion to illustrate it.

Skyquake87
2015-09-21, 09:30 PM
Neither do I, actually....

Red Dave Prime
2015-09-21, 10:12 PM
To be fair to another TF fan, his point is a valid one for a podcast. It didn't put me off but there is a noticable issue with the differing qualities of the mic. (to be fair, many start up podcasts that I've listened to have this understandable problem and as long as the dialogue is good I hang in. I can understand why it would put some off though, free or not)

That said, I enjoyed the podcasts, and the banter between the voices is entertaining. I'd certainly add it to my list of listening, especially with underbase being gone.

inflatable dalek
2015-09-21, 10:18 PM
I should clarify there's now an edit to my original post in response to TFFan, I managed to miss the polite please and thank you in there so my original response was overly confrontational as he wasn't demanding as I mistakenly originally thought.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-09-22, 08:00 AM
I listened to the second podcast last night. I enjoyed it more than the first one. The sound quality was a bit better, and the subject matter was much more up my street (I read MTMTE). I would be very happy to listen to MTMTE reviews on a regular basis, if the team can do that. Also, Hound! Goin' international - nice.

The Swerve recap pages came up in the podcast. My opinion, FWIW, is that the idea should have been dropped in its current form after Swearth. It was beginning to annoy me (the tone more than having a recap at all), but to be able to attribute to an in-fiction event excused it in my opinion. As that event is now resolved, I was disappointed to see Swerve still doing the same thing in the latest issue.

However, I do take the point that it is one or two free pages of potential exposition that is then not required in the comic itself. This is a good idea. My twist: I'd like to see the recap page being used to air background characters' thoughts and reflections on recent events, and as a way to seed character notes and plot points that may come into play later. For example, one issue you have Smokescreen talking/thinking, the next issue Hot Spot, after that Velocity, Waverider, Hound, Mirage, whoever. It would a useful way to flesh the crew out a bit, and to provide a different take on the actions of the primary characters. Admittedly more character art would be required, but worst case we are talking one piece per character, and it could possibly be a re-use of pre-existing art.

What do you think? Worth further thought? Want to mention it to JR, Dalek?

Terome
2015-09-22, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the praise and advice, folk.

That's a great idea, Rack 'n Ruin. That Lost Light Bulletin Board was the highlight of Dark Cybertron. If they could work out a way to do it on the cheap it could serve a double function of exposition / additional coverage really nicely.

Skyquake87
2015-09-22, 08:44 PM
That would be aces. I'd like to see something like that, rather than Swerve. Maybe a mix of the two - different characters, notice board stuffs, poster things...something like that. That would be good :)

Red Dave Prime
2015-09-28, 03:19 PM
I'll add a "hell yeah" to the bulletin board idea. Would suit the lost light set up perfectly and allow Roberts to add some more colour to the background crew.

Summerhayes
2015-09-28, 04:39 PM
Something akin to what R&R said feels like a must at this point. If it really must be Swerve, he could be having an actual two - way conversation in his bar, with different Lost Light patrons every month.

Red Dave Prime
2015-09-28, 04:42 PM
Yeah, it just doesn't work with just swerve, especially now that the reason has been given. I'm guessing a two way conversation would have to be classed as part of the comic itself though and take away vital pages from the main issue.

Summerhayes
2015-09-28, 05:02 PM
Ah, that could be right. It all gets a bit silly, doesn't it? Maybe it has to be the same image every issue? I doesn't bother me either way, to be honest, but if we could see some of the other guys that feels like a missed opportunity.

Summerhayes
2015-10-01, 01:27 PM
Listened to episode 2. Really enjoyable stuff, and great insight as well. So many little things I hadn't spotted in there, so I now have to go back and re-read. Hoping to have much more transformers goodness to pour into my ear-holes going forwards.

Terome
2015-10-01, 03:44 PM
Thanks SH, that's very encouraging. Our next comicsy one is in the editing phase. Give me about a week - work has become a bit demanding recently. Hopefully it should encourage some more rereading...

Denyer
2015-10-04, 05:44 PM
Podcast Maximus Episode 3

CHAOS THEORY: Dalek and Terome look back at this initial two-parter by James Roberts, discussing the script, the early timeline of IDW continuity and transitioning from fan writing.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_3.mp3

And I think there's a toy-related one coming from US folk sometime soon-ish.

inflatable dalek
2015-10-04, 08:17 PM
I wonder how much of me saying "Nun-chucks" when I mean "Throwing Stars" has been left in?

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-10-04, 08:32 PM
Excellent listen again, chaps. Chaos Theory is a bit of a keystone for a lot that has come since.

Favourite bits include:

"It's wind, Stuart."

"I feel like I'm halfway between Straxus and Polyhex."
"Who doesn't?"

And Terome's startling admission that he'd like to "do" Windblade. :o

Keep it up. A "Chaos" discussion at some point?

inflatable dalek
2015-10-04, 08:34 PM
We've already recorded a Wing/Wind/Whateverhercomichasbeencancelledblade cast, and yes, Terome is a little bit too keen in it.

EDIT: Ohm and to save time podcasting, here's my full review of Chaos:

Shite.

Terome
2015-10-05, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the kind words, RnR! This one worked well, I think.

Skyquake87
2015-10-06, 08:15 PM
I listened to this last night. I really like your sunny sounding voice Terome! You and dalek make a good double act. The stuff I found interesting was the discussion around the South African police "if they turn up, you're in for a very bad day". Blimey.

Blackjack
2015-10-17, 09:07 PM
I'm listening to these.

I think I'm gonna go back and reread MTMTE.

Denyer
2015-10-18, 01:12 PM
Podcast Maximus Episode 4

TOY CHAT: Mixing both hosts and subject up a bit, join Clay and Hound on the other side of the pond as talk as they about all things Transformers in the plastic crack dept.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_4.mp3

Blackjack
2015-10-18, 04:55 PM
Oooh different voices!

inflatable dalek
2015-10-19, 08:13 AM
Hey, Terome; we've been replaced! I feel like one of those women from Destiny's Child who only found out they'd been sacked when they saw they weren't in the new video.

[I liked the musings on Devastator]

Summerhayes
2015-10-19, 10:17 AM
Totally forgot you'd done a third until I saw the fourth, so now I've got two to listen to. Lovely jubbly.

Terome
2015-10-19, 08:42 PM
I listened to this last night. I really like your sunny sounding voice Terome! You and dalek make a good double act.

Thanks, quake. There's more where that came from.

The stuff I found interesting was the discussion around the South African police "if they turn up, you're in for a very bad day". Blimey.

Sadly it's true. I used to see quite a bit of nastiness in my neighbourhood. There's enough of it on Youtube to satisfy your curiosity. For the other side of the argument, the police are desperately underpaid and mistreated by the force itself. Here's a look at some of their living arrangements in Johannesburg:
http://mg.co.za/article/2014-09-25-the-criminal-state-of-police-living-quarters

Hey, Terome; we've been replaced! I feel like one of those women from Destiny's Child who only found out they'd been sacked when they saw they weren't in the new video.

It feels nice, like being part of a team. That's what that Destiny's Child lady said, right?

I'm throwing my back into editing the Windblade one tomorrow. I'm about half an hour in.

Skyquake87
2015-10-19, 08:51 PM
I are listened to the podcast!

Some good points, but like Mr Dalek, I liked the Discussion around CW Devastator and big ticket toys. Good call :)

inflatable dalek
2015-10-19, 09:02 PM
Sadly it's true. I used to see quite a bit of nastiness in my neighbourhood. There's enough of it on Youtube to satisfy your curiosity. For the other side of the argument, the police are desperately underpaid and mistreated by the force itself. Here's a look at some of their living arrangements in Johannesburg:
http://mg.co.za/article/2014-09-25-the-criminal-state-of-police-living-quarters

Though to be fair the main reason for your troubles was that you're the drugs king of South Africa.

It feels nice, like being part of a team. That's what that Destiny's Child lady said, right?

Well, one of them probably did. They got through a lot of members before hitting on the "Classic" lineup. Like some sort of American Sugababes.

StoneCold Skywarp
2015-10-24, 06:37 PM
updating a thread is all well and good but I'd be updating the main page too with a brief synopsis and a pointer towards the episode.
Mostly because before coming into the thread I had ZERO idea you were onto the fourth episode already.

Denyer
2015-10-25, 11:31 PM
True. Banner I've added should auto-update.

Podcast Maximus Episode 5

WINDBLADE: In which Dalek and Terome discuss the first and second Windblade series, and Terome is outed as John Barber in a wig.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_5.mp3

inflatable dalek
2015-10-26, 08:11 AM
We recorded that long enough ago for me to have forgotten what was said and thus I found myself quite funny when listening at work.

Terome
2015-10-26, 04:03 PM
Thanks Denyer! The banner looks great.

Auntie Slag
2015-11-07, 01:19 PM

Have you seen the Radio Free Cybertron podcasts? They take a chunk of Lion's TF theme for their intro. And in their accompanying videocasts they take big bits of the cartoon. The one I saw was about the episode B.O.T. and it contained loads of clips. each one about a minute long or more.

How do they get away with that? And they've been doing it for ages! Is it because they tend to talk an intro over the TF theme, for example?

Denyer
2015-11-07, 01:35 PM
Clips can count as fair use if for the purpose of review (i.e. a transformative use). Nicking part of a song for an intro, not so much, and it's likely the word Cybertron is protected. Depends whether any rights-holders call them on it.

You might find that clips factor into deals YouTube have made with IP holders as well, whether video or audio. Traditional radio would be covered by standard terms in various jurisdictions, but it's blurrier with internet "radio" and I haven't really kept up with how things are headed.

inflatable dalek
2015-11-07, 01:44 PM
I know the chap who does the excellent Weekly Bond videos on YouTube has mentioned virtually all of the money from the ads on his channel goes straight to MGM due to his clips and music usage, though I don't know if that's something he's set up himself or if YouTube do it automatically.

Red Dave Prime
2015-11-07, 01:50 PM
Talking over footage makes a huge difference with youtube. Osw review are an Irish wrestling vodcast that uses huge footage but because its in clips and talked over they get away with it - not sure if that means different costs go to wwe though

Auntie Slag
2015-11-07, 01:52 PM
Cool, that's very interesting Denyer, Dalek & Dave. I was wondering how it compared to say, Jay-Z knicking samples from other artists. He was in trouble recently wasn't he, for a song he released back in 2000. Similarly with Robin Thicke and Blurred Lines taking a sample from Marvin Gaye. But as you say, Internet will probably have established its own rules for this kind of thing.

I ask because I was messing around with the idea of an intro theme and made 15-seconds of mad Transformers mash-up (I wanted it to feel like a sugar overdose).

It then kicks into the Lion theme proper, but only a small looped portion so that presenters could fade it & talk over the top whilst they do their announcements at the start.

Then the looped music disappears & fades back into the initial drum track.

So its one minute long in total, and it uses less of the theme than Radio Free Cybertron. I understand therefore if this is a totally a no-go area. It was just fun to put together :-)

Is there a way to attach it to a post like this so you can see what I mean?

Denyer
2015-11-07, 02:40 PM
Stick it on MediaFire, SendSpace, ZippyShare or similar?

Cliffjumper
2015-11-07, 05:54 PM
Similarly with Robin Thicke and Blurred Lines taking a sample from Marvin Gaye.

Nah, that was a crock of shit - Farrell and Thicke were somehow successfully sued for taking Gaye's "sound" rather than anything atually tangible.

A lot of Youtube stuff is only caught by automated stuff; depending on how much policing a rights holder actually puts in place lots of video passes with a mirrored picture or a 5px border or filming the screen (people don't necessarily do this because they're lazy or dumb, but to keep the video up as long as possible) or even for some music stuff having a station ident in the corner of a video or whatever. There's a big, big variation in what's policed and what's not; some stuff even gets caught on upload. For a few examples on my "channel" (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNuT_5RIbFOLcRwe_w1-mHA): -

All of the Ideon episodes have been flashed up as being owned by Sunrise animation, but only the start titles and/or bumpers as presumably the hardcoded fansubs throw the rest off; all I had to do was acknowledge it.
I did have the the first few episodes of Gobots but that was taken down at the behest of Warners within days.
The film White of the Eye sat there for a couple of years until Arrow put it out on BluRay and was removed.
TF Zone has similarly been there years, possibly due to the fansubs, but a couple of unedited clips of the G1 cartoon have long gone.

With all of this I have some pretty severe restrictions on my account to the point where it's basically useless, which would be the risk for doing anything. In my case if there is anything I ever want to do I can just set up another of course, but for something like a podcast you'd want a solid home base.

But yeh... there's some stuff you can watch whole series of on Youtube despite it being out on DVD or big studio or whatever; other stuff you even put a five-second clip up you'll get canned. Generally if you're using copyrighted material you whack your video up and take your chances.

Auntie Slag
2015-11-08, 01:42 PM
Great, thanks Denyer. Just signed up with Mediafire and uploaded. Hopefully this link should work (http://www.mediafire.com/listen/anv1g4vp37glw0a/Podcast_intro_idea.mp3)!

Denyer
2015-11-08, 02:10 PM
As you say, energetic. It's basically the opposite of what I was doing, which was a short identifier set in the mix at or below the vocal level and without licensing considerations.

Auntie Slag
2015-11-08, 02:30 PM
Cheers, I wanted to epitomise Transformers (in my mind) in 15 seconds; loud, brash, big robots fighting, guns and most of all action!

A bit like just the fighting bits in Pacific Rim, on fast forward, sitting next to the speakers, with no sleep.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-11-08, 08:05 PM
Finally finshed the Windblade podcast. Good fun again. I like the idea that Spotlight: Mirage may turn out to be the only true comic. :lol:

But my, Dalek, what a potty mouth you appear to have! I thought my phone was malfunctioning when it kept bleeping... :lol:

Roll on the next one. MTMTE again? The last pair of issues have been strong.

inflatable dalek
2015-11-08, 08:23 PM
An Infiltration one has been recorded and we're hopefully going to be doing a MTMTE one in the next week or so, it's just Terome is a very busy man going around correcting peoples' inaccurate use of the word neutron.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-11-08, 08:33 PM
When is the neutron film out, btw? I am a sucker for those light cycles...

Denyer
2015-12-18, 08:10 PM
Podcast Maximus Episode 6

INFILTRATION: Ten years on, how well has the first IDW story arc held up? And more importantly where the hell did those ten years go?

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_6.mp3

Denyer
2015-12-18, 10:54 PM
Podcast Maximus Episode 7

SCAVENGERS: Terome and Dalek are joined by Mort as they unpack the complexities of the fan-favourite 'Cons in More Than Meets The Eye #45-46.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_7.mp3

inflatable dalek
2015-12-18, 11:47 PM
I'm appalled Terome ignores my correct pronunciation of the plural of miniseries.

Red Dave Prime
2015-12-18, 11:57 PM
Is there a feed for this for regular podcast players?

Denyer
2015-12-19, 01:48 AM
I might have a go at stuffing information into a suitable XML document and generating the page from it at this point.

Skyquake87
2015-12-27, 10:55 AM
Finally listened to eps 6 & 7. Whoop! Really enjoying these. Loved the Scavengers one and it was lovely to hear from Marian :)

I just gush like a fountain about these, don't I? I dunno, there's little to be said that you hadn't covered in the podcasts about things I had also been thinking...but then forgotten about because I've laundry to do and cat poop to clear up.

Good work, chums! Look forward to the next one.

Terome
2015-12-27, 12:48 PM
Thanks Skyquake! Lovely to hear the gushings. Likewise, anything that we're getting wrong would be good to know.

inflatable dalek
2015-12-27, 07:50 PM
Looks like terome and I will be recording more around the second week of January.

Hound, Clay and I did record a Christmas special full of great wit and wonder but someone (let's call him... Flay) didn't record it.

Denyer
2016-02-03, 11:04 PM
Podcast Maximus Episode 8

CONQUERORS: Mort, Dalek and Terome look at the most recent arc of the comic formerly known as RID to find out if it's still on Track(s), and ask if it's possible to grow a beard during a Blackrock speech.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_8.mp3

inflatable dalek
2016-02-04, 05:09 AM
It was nice to hear what I missed!

I may record my lost 20 minute Cyclonus rant as a bonus podcast.

Denyer
2016-02-27, 03:00 PM
Podcast Maximus Episode 9

MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE: An extended episode in which Terome, Mort and Dalek have a lot to say about the recent Getaway and Skids/DJD flashback story arcs as things Ratchet up towards the event of the 50th issue.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_9.mp3

You can also now subscribe on iTunes if that's your sort of thing --

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/podcast-maximus/id1088110338

inflatable dalek
2016-02-28, 01:53 PM
This is a good'un despite my cheerful inability to call anything by the right name.

Red Dave Prime
2016-02-28, 04:08 PM
That rod-pod-cast joke at the start is shameful.

You're better then that Dalek :)

inflatable dalek
2016-03-01, 05:55 PM
No I'm not.

The fools have let me have a go at editing a podcast, which I have just finished doing. When it goes up the ending will shock and amaze you all.

You all listen for the soap opera sexual chemistry between me and Tom rather than the actual comic thoughts, right?

Denyer
2016-03-02, 07:52 AM
Podcast Maximus Episode 10

HOLIDAY SPECIAL: Dalek and Terome kill Christmas and your childhood as they look back over the first IDW seasonal celebration issue in an episode recorded in January. There are a few audio problems at the beginning.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_10.mp3

inflatable dalek
2016-03-02, 08:01 AM
Having now listened to it properly rather than focusing on the structure of the thing, I think that turned out surprisingly OK (thanks to some extra sweetening from Denyer as well).

*Waits for the "Don't give up the day job. Unless your day job is editing podcasts. In which case give it up" comments*

Denyer
2016-03-14, 12:08 AM
Podcast Maximus Episode 11

MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE: Despite several accidents with a nudge gun and a white hole, issue #50 got released for Terome, Mort and Dalek to chew over and expound on. Nobody touch that thing again, okay? Despite several accidents--

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_11.mp3

inflatable dalek
2016-03-14, 10:06 PM
This Podcast is definitely the TOAST OF THE TOWN.

inflatable dalek
2016-04-21, 08:13 PM
New episode looking at the first three issues of Sins of the Wreckers! Josh Burcham has listened to it. Why not be cool like him?

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_12.mp3

Skyquake87
2016-04-21, 09:45 PM
Can I be cool in a bit?

slartibartfast
2016-04-22, 01:39 AM
Top banana.

Spider porn FTW.

inflatable dalek
2016-04-22, 07:52 PM
We do try to make it a sexy podcast.

inflatable dalek
2016-05-03, 07:36 AM
And we're onto More Than Meets the Eye issues 51 and 52! In which we theorise like mad, toy with setting Tarn and Tarantulas up on a date and provide details on the set design of the Enterprise Transpoter room our listeners had demanded:

http://www.tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_13.mp3

And one thing I only noticed after we'd recorded, Tarn's Space Phone is a Klingon communicator as used from the third film onwards. I hereby decree him to be Christopher Lloyd: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/artoftrek/st3-klingon-comm.jpg

inflatable dalek
2016-06-09, 01:11 PM
New episode! We fox out the truth about More Than Meets the Eye 53 as sunset approaches and ask what makes a good present for Megatron:

http://www.tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_14.mp3

inflatable dalek
2016-06-30, 08:48 AM
Sins of the Wreckers 4 and 5 collide as we look at the conclusion of the comic that will cause a TIDAL WAVE amongst fandom:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_15.mp3

inflatable dalek
2016-07-05, 08:55 PM
Thanks to the delay on Wreckers you get two episodes in a week you lucky dogs!

This one was recorded live and in the flesh in the London Science Museum because they've acknowledged we have changed the face of media with this show. We stagger and amaze a room full of schoolchildren with out thoughts on More Than Meets the Eye 54!:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_16.mp3

As Marian says at the end, we'd really like more feedback both generally (positive and constructive criticism, just to know Denyer isn't the only person listening. It's a really elaborate way of entertaining him if that is the case) and in terms of how well this "LIVE" one worked as two thirds of us might be doing another one at TFN.

Skyquake87
2016-07-05, 09:41 PM
Oh, I've still the last one to listen to...!

I've been enjoying these, although its finding the time. Plus, I haven't read Sins # 5 so want to wait till I've read that.

What I like is how chatty and jolly you all sound. Its the bestest :)

inflatable dalek
2016-08-17, 04:03 PM
New episode!

It's the end, but has the moment been prepared for? We look at the conclusion of The Dying of the Light and the very long line of dominoes that fall at its feet:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_17.mp3

Denyer
2016-08-27, 07:33 PM
Podcast Maximus Episode 18 (James Roberts interview)

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_18.mp3

Podcast Maximus interview James Roberts, writer of IDW's More Than Meets The Eye series (and soon Transformers: Lost Light) at the inaugural TFNation convention in 2016.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/images/tfnation-2016-james-roberts-interview.jpg

inflatable dalek
2016-09-05, 08:52 AM
It's our first birthday! To celebrate I will exclusively reveal one episode was recorded with me in a dressing gown. See if you can guess which.

electro girl
2016-09-05, 01:53 PM
What do we get if we guess correctly?

inflatable dalek
2016-09-05, 06:01 PM
A big surprise.

Skyquake87
2016-09-05, 10:34 PM
Got through both of these recent uploads :) Really enjoyed the James Roberts interview - some really good questions asked and some thoughtful answers from James.

Terome
2016-10-26, 11:17 PM
New episode is up! Stuart and Marian catch me up on TFNation, I catch them up on Revolution and then we all talk about how IDW mishandled Titans Return.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_19.mp3

inflatable dalek
2016-10-27, 02:53 PM
There was a wee glitch in the original upload that's now been fixed.

inflatable dalek
2017-02-13, 07:20 AM
It's been a few months (life has been consuming), but we're back with an episode where we chat to Tori and Isa from TFNation, about both that convention and their and Marian's experiences at TFCon Chicago.

Plus Tom attempts to kidnap me, there's a beginners guide to gsy erotic fiction and we learn the relative differences between European and American alcohol consumption.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_20.mp3

There have been various other announcememts since we recorded (including Uncle Bob), and tickets are now on sale, so check out the details here:

https://tfnation.com/2017/

Blackjack
2017-02-13, 11:00 AM
I really should archive binge this. But do you talk a lot about the comics? Because I definitely am not caught up with them and probably don't wanna spoil myself before I get to cracking open the pile of untouched TPBs on my desk.

inflatable dalek
2017-02-13, 11:44 AM
It is mostly comicss, but there are a couple of retro ones in there (Infiltration and Chaos Theory).

inflatable dalek
2017-02-20, 07:43 AM
Episodes in consecutive weeks? Look at us being all efficient.

This time we look at Till Are Are One, covering Black Lives Matter; capitalism; relative Transformers ages; bondage; Trump and John Wayne.

It's the podcast of choice for the Leige Maximo as he waits for his Titan to come back from the shops:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_21.mp3

inflatable dalek
2017-04-02, 08:39 PM
New episode!

Live in London with Special Guest Denyer (whom we treat with love and respect) we talk about the 2017 Annual. Things chucked in the singularity including working out which Torch Bearer is which and what Soundwave keeps under his hat:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_22.mp3

inflatable dalek
2017-06-25, 09:12 PM
New episode!

We discuss Lost Light 1-6, taking in cut'n'paste warfare, EVIL beards, history repeating and ask whether the key relaunch was pulled off or did it Get Away from the creative team?

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_23.mp3

Denyer
2017-06-27, 08:00 PM
Intentionally or otherwise I think it was a good idea to look at the six as a package.

inflatable dalek
2017-06-27, 08:38 PM
Everything we do is intentional.

inflatable dalek
2017-09-03, 08:17 PM
Not Podcast Maximus, but as an extra curricular activity I just took part in a podcast about Bond folk might be interested in: https://civildpodcast.podbean.com/e/chat-about-that-1-bond-james-bond/

inflatable dalek
2017-09-08, 07:08 PM
Episode 24:

What is better, Megatron's poetry or Morrissey's novel? Find out in the interview we recorded with James Roberts at TFNation 2017! Plus Scavengers, reformatting the series and no questions about Red Dwarf. Spoilers ahoy:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_24.mp3

inflatable dalek
2017-09-24, 07:46 PM
Episode 25: TFNation 2017!

We talk through this year's con and all the hijinks we got up to:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_25.mp3

inflatable dalek
2017-12-02, 09:01 PM
And a special episode looking at Last Knight! Noisy sex, duuuuuuude, Headmasters, aging and how you could have gotten half a dozen good films out of this:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_26.mp3

Skyquake87
2017-12-30, 12:16 PM
Finally had some time to listen to these (currently listening to the TFNation 2017 one) and really enjoyed the Last Knight Review, and lovely to hear Becca again - I love her YT videos - and her enthusiasm for the live action stuff :) I hope you can invite her on again at some point in the future.

inflatable dalek
2017-12-30, 12:19 PM
But I'm really good as well, right?

Glad you enjoyed, that one seemed to go down well.

Skyquake87
2017-12-30, 12:25 PM
You're always really good Stu! As are Terome and Marian :)

Auntie Slag
2018-02-16, 10:10 PM
I just listened to the James Roberts interview from a few episodes ago. A really brilliant Q&A. He had great things to say, and lots of excellent questions put his way, too. And funny; his quip about Dalek being on the whisky, and in turn Dalek's affection for Tom Jones & Billy Joel :D

inflatable dalek
2018-02-16, 10:26 PM
Thank you Slag!

Of course, the character I play in the podcast is very different to the real me.

Auntie Slag
2018-02-16, 10:32 PM
Ooh, more than meets the eye!

One thing it has taught me though, is I definitely need to go back and re-read the more recent episodes. I tend to always read up to Remain in Light, then the Megatron stuff pre-Slaughterhouse, and The Dying of the Light. I've hardly given other issues much of a re-read, not because they aren't good. I just reacted badly to the change of artist. And I didn't remember Megatron was stuck in the functionist universe!

And two Prime examples of that are Rung punching the moon, and Defensor going postal on Getaway. The former didn't have the impact it needed. A Phase Senior or a Milne would have sold it and then some. Likewise in the final of The Mutineers trilogy I saw an Alex Milne cover where an angry Defensor is slamming Getaway into the wall with such force the wall is cracking, whilst Getaway is firing back with both guns. That image outdid the art in the comic. And I do like Jack these days, honest... its just that Milne knows how to do brutal. Defensor could've done with more screen time hammering the security crew, as it would've given the Star Sabre battle much more weight.

inflatable dalek
2018-03-20, 11:44 AM
Like Tailgate, we've been buried with work. But now we're back with two new episodes!

First up, we look at the Magnificent Lost Light 7-9:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_27.mp3

Second, 10-12 and naught boy Getaway:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_28.mp3

inflatable dalek
2018-04-15, 08:19 PM
A new episode looking at Lost Light 13, the definition of a packed issue:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_029.mp3

Red Dave Prime
2018-04-15, 09:43 PM
Yay!!

Although only 1 issue? Last 2 free podcasts covered 3 issues. I demand value for my money!

inflatable dalek
2018-04-16, 01:20 AM
You get more on Reign of Starscream than you could ever hope for as well! :p

Red Dave Prime
2018-04-17, 10:10 PM
A very good podcast, not sure why but I've always listened to it on pc from here instead of adding it to my podcast subscriptions.

This has now been corrected. Looking forward to your collective takes on how IDW wraps everything up.

Denyer
2018-04-18, 07:05 PM
Listened to one of the previous two, but can't remember which (and someone uploaded them in the wrong order by the looks of it)... will hopefully find time to catch up at some point.

inflatable dalek
2018-04-23, 07:56 AM
A new episode! Looking at what may be the final ever Scavengers story:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_030.mp3

Skyquake87
2018-04-23, 08:53 PM
I just got done with the ones on the Mutineers and#13. I like that you guys pick up on all the stuff that flies over my dim head, which pretty much 'yaaay robot comics' all the way thru LL.

inflatable dalek
2018-04-27, 03:26 PM
That's pretty much just my take on it though.

inflatable dalek
2018-05-22, 07:07 AM
Episode 31: The 2007 Film!

I'm back with special guest Becka to follow up on our Last Knight episode by going all the way back to 2007 and the original live action movie. How does it hold up after a decade of Bay?

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_31.mp3

Skyquake87
2018-05-25, 08:31 PM
Good podcast! Listened to it the other night and found myself nodding along with all the points made. Especially that the first one is generally a good, solid action flick :)

inflatable dalek
2018-05-28, 10:24 AM
New episode!

And it's a big one. IDW's longest serving Transformers writer comes aboard to talk his career from panto right through to Wreckers, with non spoiler teasing this this Wednesday's climax to the trilogy.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_032.mp3

Red Dave Prime
2018-05-28, 09:36 PM
OOOOOOOOH! Downloaded and ready for night time listens.

inflatable dalek
2018-05-30, 02:27 PM
And a day of publication review!

It's the end of the Wreckers story, but how many times can Nick Roche punch us in the feels?

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_033.mp3

inflatable dalek
2018-06-01, 02:31 PM
A glitch means some of the links have changed, here's the new one for the Sins review:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_33.mp3

inflatable dalek
2018-06-10, 03:08 PM
New episode!

Everlasting Voices Parts 1 and 2! We try not to be distracted by the dead as we discuss issues 16 and 17 of Lost Last and come up with more Theories than Red Alert:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_34.mp3

Red Dave Prime
2018-06-12, 09:07 AM
Good episode. As usual I find myself having to go back over the issues as stuff I didn't notice gets pointed out.

inflatable dalek
2018-06-24, 06:59 PM
New episode!

We look at Lost Light 18, and find both enlightenment and confusion as the series gears up for its big finale:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_35.mp3

inflatable dalek
2018-08-21, 10:59 PM
Episode 36: Jesus is a Friend of Mine.

We look at Lost Light issues 19-22, the start of the final storyline. We ask if Getaway got off lightly, whether Rodiimus has someone watching over him and meet some old and unexpected friends in an episode bigger than the average Cybertron.

(Contains spoilers for Optimus Prime and Unicron as well)

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_36.mp3

inflatable dalek
2018-09-02, 08:16 PM
Episode 37: TFNation 2018.

Tom talks us through this year's convention, including the food, the lost Lost Light, the Bush and the murder:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_37.mp3

inflatable dalek
2018-09-26, 06:22 AM
Episode 38!

Do you want to hear us talking about issue 23, discussing the secrets of the Guiding Hand, how not to give away your evil plan and start planning the Dratchet wedding?

Asking for a friend.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_38.mp3

inflatable dalek
2018-11-06, 06:42 AM
Episode 39: Don't You Forget About Me!

We look at the 24th and penultimate issue of Lost Light, talking God, time, psychiatry and, for old time's sake, Red Dwarf.

But where do we go from here?

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_39.mp3

inflatable dalek
2018-11-14, 07:03 AM
Episode 40: We Deserve Worse.

It's the final Lost Light review guys!

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/podcast/?name=podcast_maximus_episode_40.mp3

Guest staring Dermot O'Leary.

Marian's final summing up is perfect btw.