PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #44

zigzagger
2015-08-22, 03:12 AM
Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #44 three-page preview by way of iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/ca/book/transformers-more-than-meets/id1032544333?mt=11).

Full issue out September 2nd.

Selkadoom
2015-08-22, 03:22 AM
So it seems that old claw hand Vos was indeed 113 and that's nice that we don't have an immediate agreement to detour. Also nice to see the Necrobot again.

Unicron
2015-08-22, 11:05 AM
So they have a map. Anyone taking odds on Swerve or somebody destroying the desk in a 'hilarious' accident by the end of the issue? Hope someone thinks to draw a copy on like every third wall on the ship or something.
Hell, since it's a carving, just make a mold off it and start mass producing the suckers

Red Dave Prime
2015-08-22, 01:58 PM
Wow, for once rodimus does something good! Wondered what he was carving.

Called the vos thing (although I threw so many theories one was bound to stick) ��

Knightdramon
2015-08-22, 03:10 PM
Agent 113 appears to be so simple and out of the left field, especially after all the hours I've spent theorizing over it :lol:

Is this a 3rd known Vos? We have Gun Vos, Hook Vos [Megatron trial footage], and Claw Vos? Or are the previous 2 connected?

Either way, looks like a spikier Rodimus.

Rodimus carving theory has been thrown about since the first space barnacle issue. Looks good.

Artist can mimic whomever he wants very, very nicely I must add.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-08-22, 07:52 PM
I thought Hook Vos and Claw Vos were one and the same, with different people choosing different descriptors for his appendages. Anyway, he's clearly Roller / Dominus Ambus / Delta Magnus / Pious Maximus / a re-animated Pharma rebuilt and sent back in time to make amends. :p

Red Dave Prime
2015-08-23, 12:02 AM
@rack - clearly he is the reanimated corpse of shockwave. Its obvious really.

Denyer
2015-08-24, 05:25 PM
So what do we think the Necrobot really is or actually wants sparks for?

(Also, is anyone putting stylised map symbols together with Cyber Planet Keys plus Windblade TF:Cybertron/GF-inspired stuff such as "planet where racing = government" and similar high concept and getting a teeny bit worried it'll cross over into MTMTE?)

Selkadoom
2015-08-24, 08:20 PM
So what do we think the Necrobot really is or actually wants sparks for?

(Also, is anyone putting stylised map symbols together with Cyber Planet Keys plus Windblade TF:Cybertron/GF-inspired stuff such as "planet where racing = government" and similar high concept and getting a teeny bit worried it'll cross over into MTMTE?)

I'd almost rather that MTMTE does a colony bit if only due to the largw comedic potential and most likely permanently damaging diplomatic incidents that could arise.

inflatable dalek
2015-09-02, 08:18 PM
OUT AND READ.

Right, first up my main niggle, and it's a tiny one as it's not technically a part of the issue. I'm not sure carrying on with the Swerve recap thing after the twist reveal of its "In fiction" role has been played out was a good idea. Roberts has said on twitter they were never all supposed to be "Real" (as Swerve knows things in some of them he couldn't know), and whilst that makes a sort of sense it still makes me go crosseyed and might be needlessly confusing going forward. Especially here when it's actually pointless, virtually everything Swerve tells us isn't needed to enjoy what follows as it's mostly about him and the comic itself covers it with the-awesome-"Metallurgist" exchange.

The issue itself!:

Oh I liked that. Nice and subversive, 113's message isn't the kick off for the big DJD final (though I'm sure those little bits of scrambled information will turn out to be important. Anyone want to bet Agent Vos is still alive?) but for another heartfelt diversion into character study.

I loved that the 113 reveal was played completely straight and upfront. Which I think was important considering the issue ends with it turning out what we thought we'd learnt about Dominus was in fact completely wrong and in reality we end the issue in exactly the same "No one knows!" place as it started. Without one proper long standing mystery being solved that could have been a punch the page moment.

instead we got that lovely, and at the same time slightly scary as Chromedome is a bit too enthusiastic with the mind wipe option, series of moments between Chromedome and Rewind that were the real heart of the issue and were just played perfectly in every way.

Around that the character development for Megatron could be easily overlooked, but the way he initially seems to be keen to go see the Necrobot just to rub Rodimus up the wrong way, through his confession to Ravage that could be taken as the "Good" mask starting to slip through his visit to hie own flower surrounded memorial (Denyer--and I should point out it was Denyer and not me!--pointed out this was not unlike the mass grave of Ace Rimmers. Only not shit looking) that gives him some food for thought and leaves you wondering exactly where he really stands now was all deftly done.

The Necrobot himself was rather a fun bait and switch. We're so used at this point to anything that could be Primus/TF mythology related being treated in mystical terms the gag of someone who has a completely rational explanation (albeit one with such advanced tech it might as well be mystical) for all they do was completely hilarious and very nicely played.

I'm surprised the DJD had no interest in looking in on him though, the guy is legendary for being able to turn up anywhere in the galaxy and can keep track of all Transformers. Even without knowing the source of these powers or if they're true or not, you'd have thought the DJD would have at least had a glance to see if there was anything there they could turn to their own uses.

But the important thing for me was Nightbeat. I've been moaning and whailing about how out of character he's been written over season 2. Here it's finally acknowledged he's been through a trauma that has changed and upset him on a very deep level. It's very welcome (though it might have been nice if anyone else had noticed he'd changed) and with him getting some catharsis here hopefully we'll be back to Philip Marlow Nightbeat now.

A very nice little issue.

Oh, and I didn't see Cyclonus on the shuttle, it's interesting he wasn't keen to meet the Necrobot.

Unicron
2015-09-02, 08:50 PM
Oh, and I didn't see Cyclonus on the shuttle, it's interesting he wasn't keen to meet the Necrobot.

Good point. You'd think he'd want to check on Scourge

Denyer
2015-09-02, 08:57 PM
Liking the recurrent Star-Trek-away-team setup... logically, there's a lot of digging and clue hunting that would have to happen in the kind of vague (and increasingly intentionally purposeless thanks to Megatron; nice touch) quest they're on.

It does come across as mightily odd that there's very little technology poaching, for which there hopefully might be good explanations. Some it's definitely into may-as-well-be-magic territory and would be game-changing in any kind of conflict situation, mercantile endeavour or any other context.

Fair enough, races with higher tech are going to encounter each other more, but take away the concept of travel being difficult with a magic ship (be it impossibility drive, slipstream, or whatever) and in-universe events have that much less grounding. The same with magic resurrection rocks, The Magnificence, and everything in that vein. Combination over in the other TF book (what I've skimmed of it) apparently being something to do with more Important Capital Letters rather than engineering and alien psychology is annoying as well. Humour and science fiction can co-exist without the science fiction necessarily getting silly.

Going off on tangents about the inconsistent cluster**** of a continuity in general, though. Continuing to like the characterisations on show in this book.

Selkadoom
2015-09-03, 03:28 AM
A bit short simple and agitating the Refuse but perhaps Dominus is Tarn? He is approaching rapidly so Dominus not being dead could feasibly (And a bit strangley) work if he's forgotten who he is.

Terome
2015-09-03, 11:33 AM
Quick thoughts:

This was great. The build up to Megatron, Nightbeat's chat to reverse debunk the Necrobot and the initial reveal of Dominus Ambus' name on the database were all great moments. And look at how many flowers little Bumblebee has!

I think it's plausible that the DJD would ignore the Necrobot on the grounds that he's a bit of a religious figure. Tarn doesn't seem to tolerate cognitive dissonance well.

But yeah, maybe send some of that magic instant-teleportation tech back to Cybertron? I can see why the Necrobot can't help them find the Knights - he's only checking on sparks made since year x and his interests are strictly Cybertronian, but he could have checked on a few of those long-lost theme park colony worlds while he was out corpse-spotting.

This book works because it often knows what's really important - Agent 113 is something from a bonus text story that message board fans obsess over so that can be in possession of all the details. For the characters we care about, finding out about the afterlife or tracking down a lost loved one is the important thing.

Oh! Those thoughts weren't so quick. Onwards!

tahukanuva
2015-09-03, 10:56 PM
I will say the final few panels with Megatron really got me, to the point that the last panel felt like a metaphorical punch to the gut. I teared up for what is, as far as I recall, the first time in this series.

I'm very on board with Megatron's redemption arc, and the times where he slips up and deviates a bit towards old ways help a lot with accepting his turn. He feels like an old man who regrets the path he's taken, but this issue seems to be the first time he's truly been starkly confronted with the consequences.

Anyway, if this all gets undone as some kind of long con I am gonna be super peeved up.

Phase Sixer
2015-09-04, 02:41 AM
This was a good issue, well worth the rereads

The necrobot and who he really is, great reveal, let's just face it, in real life there is no magic and makes perfect sense that he's not magical

But I love how Roberts writes Megatron, rodimus is his new starscream, lol

But what is Megatron thinking when he see's his arces upon arces of all the lives he's helped destroy

And dominus ambus can't be tarn, tarn is roller, and dominus is agent 113, just my opinion

inflatable dalek
2015-09-04, 05:06 PM
The necrobot and who he really is, great reveal, let's just face it, in real life there is no magic and makes perfect sense that he's not magical

True, though I think part of the gag is that the explanation for him is such nonsense he might as well be magic.

Thinking on it, a species where it's easier to have a mausoleum of the living rather than the dead is an incredibly morbid concept isn't it?

Loved the Magnus stuff in this issue as well, from his attempt at banter with Megatron (I think if Megs does go back to the bad it'll hurt Magnus most of all) through that long awaited conversation with Rewind (I wonder if Chromedome had a word with him as well whilst Rewind was dead?) he was bloody awesome.

Selkadoom
2015-09-04, 05:25 PM
But what is Megatron thinking when he see's his arces upon arces of all the lives he's helped destroy

And dominus ambus can't be tarn, tarn is roller, and dominus is agent 113, just my opinion

I can see that but it seems just a little too obvious that it's Roller so I'm expecting a swetve that its Dominus. Hell could explain why alternate Tarn didn't kill Rewind.

Flimflammery
2015-09-05, 10:52 AM
I can see why the Necrobot can't help them find the Knights - he's only checking on sparks made since year x and his interests are strictly Cybertronian, but he could have checked on a few of those long-lost theme park colony worlds while he was out corpse-spotting.

Hmm. Is the Necrobot strictly checking up on Cybertronians, and not the colony worlds? If so, why does Windblade appear in his garden?

Warcry
2015-09-09, 03:22 PM
I just realized this issue came out a week ago and I haven't commented on it! To be honest it didn't make much of an impression on me. The Necrobot was just a silly diversion and probably would have been amusing enough at a different time. But now the last four months have been nothing but silly diversions so he winds up feeling like an excuse to burn another issue so that the actual story lines up with whatever the next big event is slated to be.

In terms of plot development... They suddenly have another copy of the Matrix map...which they proceed to not use, instead choosing to keep randomly dicking around the galaxy. They find out that Dominus Ambus is dead...except maybe not. They find out the identity of Agent 113...and it's a presumably-dead nobody we've never met. Meanwhile on the character front, Megatron mopes about his past misdeeds some more and Nightbeat has a freakout that would have been interesting if it had been foreshadowed at all or if Roberts hadn't made him so completely unlikeable.

So essentially nothing happened, the status quo is exactly the same as it was before the issue and I'll probably have forgotten it all by next month just like I did the Swerve stuff from last issue.

Maybe the Necrobot myth didn't start until his time in the Dead Universe, so he's not a believer? The actual person behind the myth is pretty old, but it sounds like the story is mostly built up around how he jumped from place to place to catalogue the war dead.

Hmm. Is the Necrobot strictly checking up on Cybertronians, and not the colony worlds? If so, why does Windblade appear in his garden?
Well, if nothing else she's on Cybertron now so he'd know about her through that.

I can see that but it seems just a little too obvious that it's Roller so I'm expecting a swetve that its Dominus. Hell could explain why alternate Tarn didn't kill Rewind.
I had similar thoughts during the alternate Lost Light issues. It would also explain why Tarn was so cruel to alt-Chromedome, for "stealing" his beloved while he was off doing important work.

inflatable dalek
2015-09-11, 01:11 PM
In terms of plot development... They suddenly have another copy of the Matrix map...which they proceed to not use, instead choosing to keep randomly dicking around the galaxy.

Well surely that's the point though? Megatron now firmly doesn't want the quest to end.

Warcry
2015-09-11, 03:29 PM
There is that, but he didn't really show much interest in actually pursuing the quest for the last year anyway. It's not so much 'development' as it is admitting something that was pretty obvious to begin with.

Selkadoom
2015-09-11, 05:30 PM
Well surely that's the point though? Megatron now firmly doesn't want the quest to end.

Not to mention Megs still has one of those breifcases stashed away so we could expect a time rewind retcon at some point

Skyquake87
2015-09-13, 11:09 AM
I has done the reading. Really enjoyed Hayato's art in this (didn't this person do some work a bit ago..?) and the expressions leant to the characters.

My favoutrite bit this issue (aside from Megs in the field of Poppies), was "engage stealth mode". Liked that the Necrobot was just a guy with an odd hobby, and not some mystical claptrap. Although it did remind mind me a bit of recent Doctor Who where something built up with ominous proclamations of doom/ awesomeness turns out to be something pretty mundane and less than you were expecting.

I liked all the Rewind/ Chromedome stuff, but wasn't feeling it. Perhaps its because it just seems odd to me that this is a different Rewind to the one we launched the series with so I'm just not feeling the sudden drop back into a relationship with Domey. I know its the 'same person', but after the gut wrenching business with Overlord, I still feel a bit out of sorts having him back. And I'm surprised Chromedome doesn't either and has just been keen to rekindle their romance. As with Brainstorm, it just feels like we've glossed over something important before resuming business as usual which undoes what would be otherwise a very fine character moment.

I was pleased with Agent 113 being played as a straight reveal (and that Megatron guessed after just a few moments pondering) and doesn't turn out the awful, teeth grinding cliche of being a beloved character formerly on the side of the angels corrupted and turned into a bad person. Hate that shizzle.

I have also decided I would like Joanna LaFuente to come and colour my house :)

Auntie Slag
2015-09-15, 09:41 PM
Apart from being very excited at the Scavengers returning next issue, and what that could mean for a Skids/Misfire meet up (though that’s probably still way off), I’m mainly left thinking about the Ambuses, Tyrest & Roller.

The text story at the end of Remain in Light said Tyrest’s body made off after triggering the button in the palm. So another possible load-bearing robot lies within. Could it be a third Ambus brother?

The Roller being Tarn idea is fine by me, only I wish his heel change hadn’t happened so fast; trying to keep up with the others in that one issue, then getting lost amid the explosions. He was so devoted to Pax before this. But what mainly gets me about Roller is that he calls Pax ‘big guy’.

Even though he’s noted as being a heavyweight, could Roller also be a load-bearing little robot in a big Roller suit? And if that’s the case, his jokey nick-name for Pax might suggest that Pax knew this.

Ratchet knew about Magnus being Minimus, not being fooled by the distractor mirrors in Magnus’ bodywork. Ratchet is good at keeping secrets. I wonder if he and Pax are the ones who know the true story about Dominus Ambus? And in addition; Dominus Ambus, Tyrest, Roller, Skids, Magnus and Tarn… because I reckon these six, or maybe without DA… are all very closely linked. Maybe Spinister and Misfire should be included in that pack.

I was trying to think up a story where Dominus could be either Ratchet, or the little guy inside a Roller suit who in turn becomes Tarn, a Russian doll of personalities all screwed up by the Institute. Maybe Minimus worked for the institute too, as a way to either protect or get one-up on his brother, and he doesn’t remember because Chromedome wiped his memories.

Auntie Slag
2015-09-15, 09:45 PM
I quite liked this issue, and I'll like it even more in time to come, but right now I'm itching for the DJD/Lost Light fightfest. There's been so many bitty, standalone issues since Elegant Chaos, and each month I'm expecting it to be THE one where it finally kicks off.

Instead we get these pleasant stories that are cool and deep... but I'm starting to get fed up, someone really needs to get their head kicked in, and sharpish.

Its time for action, not words.

Selkadoom
2015-09-15, 11:28 PM
I can't help but agree with Slag in there being a group of bots and cons that seem to be connected by invisble strings to this story and that there may be a russian doll thene going on with Magnus so perhaps Tarn and Roller were similar.

Auntie Slag
2015-09-27, 05:23 PM
I had a second read through of this, and there's a panel where Rewind and Minimus Ambus are sitting opposite each other at a table. Rewind mentions that they had a heated discussion on the Alternate Lost Light when Rewind found out that Magnus was/is Minimus.

This made me wonder if there's more to it than Rewind is letting on. He's definitely a little guarded with his words in this panel; pausing as he chooses his words correctly. I'm wondering if the ever so dodgy Rewind of the Alternate Lost Light gave the game away to Tarn and Co. re: Magnus' true identity.

Perhaps Alternate Lost Light Rewind has known about the true fate/whereabouts of Dominus Ambus, because Tarn told him during or after the slaughter.

Surely Rewind would have stayed by Chromedome's side even AFTER Chromedome was killed. He'd have wanted to die with him (perhaps) if he truly loved him. Instead Rewind legs it & hides in Magnus' armour.

But was he really hiding? Is Alternative Lost Light Rewind in cahoots with Tarn, and he's intending to sell out OUR Lost Light crew at crunch time... and the only thing that'll save everyone is the return of Overlord and OUR Rewind?

The only thing that would convince Alternate Lost Light Rewind to do this is if he's found out something truly shocking about Chromedome i.e. his involvement with Dominus' disappearance?

It'd be a hell of a stand-off. I could imagine Alternative Lost Light Rewind sacrificing himself so that Our Lost Light Rewind can continue as the definitive Rewind. Alternate Rewind would only do this if he felt it would be a mercy to die keeping hold of the terrible truth about Chromedome & Dominus, so that our innocent Rewind can continue to at least have a life with Chromedome and give the real Chromedome & Rewind a final shot at love. Especially if it becomes clear that Dominus is simply too far gone in his transformation as Tarn/Leige Maximo/Roller etc.

And it'd be the romantic way to go, especially if that issue is called 'Careless Whisper' or something. Go on James, I hope you give it that title :smokin:

Red Dave Prime
2015-09-27, 10:48 PM
Overlord is the mtmte Elvis. As soon as Roberts killed him off, all we could do is ask "is overlord alive?" �� . Personally, I prefer the idea that alt rewind knows domeys dark side but doesn't tell him because after losing alt doney he realised how important he was to him. I'd be quite happy if original rewind never shows up.

That said, I kinda got the same vibe from the magnus-rewind conversation so you could be onto something there.