PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Generations 30 toys in B&M.

Auntie Slag
2015-09-15, 09:59 PM
Maybe you already know, but B&M stores are selling the Generations toys for a reasonable knock down price. I think I saw Sandstorm there in the past, but the other day they definitely had Roadbuster and Skybyte there for... I think it was 12.99 each.

They also had that big glossy Jetfire there for maybe 20 or 24. Massive price difference compared to the same toy sold in Forbidden Planet in my town.

They also had the decently articulated AoE figures for 6 instead of the RRP. So full transformation versions of Drift, Hound, Bumblebee, Strafe etc.

Must be worth a look if you've got a B&M near you :)

Denyer
2015-09-15, 10:27 PM
Allegedly some stores got a few Brainstorms or Doubledealers as well, but Sandstorm seems to have been the most prevalent and after that Roadbusters or Springers.

Plus FOC stuff like Blaster.

Heinrad
2015-09-16, 12:05 AM
I don't suppose we could talk b&m into opening stores across the pond, could we? I'd love to get that Jetfire.

Skyquake87
2015-09-16, 08:29 PM
I have 4 near me!

And last time I looked, they were all full of Sandstorm and FOC Blaster.

And Thew is right, B&M really does smell of super noodles and desperation.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-09-16, 08:34 PM
Maybe you already know, but B&M stores are selling the Generations toys for a reasonable knock down price. I think I saw Sandstorm there in the past, but the other day they definitely had Roadbuster and Skybyte there for... I think it was 12.99 each.

Toys R Us in Cambridge had Rhinox and Whirl for about that price last week, too.

Skyquake87
2015-09-16, 08:37 PM
...and whilst I remember, The Entertainer also has the Generations toys in their penny sale (which is more of a buy one get one free thing).

Cliffjumper
2015-09-16, 10:28 PM
Not sure I'd get Sandstorm or Blaster for a penny flat price TBH.

inflatable dalek
2015-09-18, 01:53 PM
Sadly I've gotten all the toys from that range I want, I just can't get excited about Skybyte.

If anyone doesn't have him, Brainstorm is great fun though.

Denyer
2015-09-18, 07:06 PM
B&M had a Jetfire when I popped in, plus a small Sky-Byte/Roadbuster/Whirl contingent. And movie etc. stuff I wasn't really paying attention to. Nothing of interest by this point.

Really shouldn't have gotten lunch there. It's never a good sign when cheese says "best served chilled" rather than "keep refrigerated".

Skyquake87
2015-09-18, 09:20 PM
Had a look in one of the B&Ms near me. Jetfire spotted, but passed on. He's 29.99, and the one they had on the shelf was slightly discoloured and the chrome was flaking off the guns. They also had two utterly trashed Battle Ops Bumblebees for the same, both of which looked like returns (always a good sign). 1 x Roadbuster and movie deluxes (all exclusively Hound).

What they did have and I've not seen before, are the 1:18 scale Roadbots (with Lights and Sound) which I've only seen in Thews vids previously, and the Landcruiser does look pretty awesome (as does the BMW - just has a weird looking head). For the 15 those were going for, they looked a better bet than all the left over Transformers. Which is a poor show if even Roadbots are looking good by comparrison to what Hasbro's up to.

Also loads of those blue three pack Doctor Who 5" figure sets for a tenner, which have erupted throughout B&M stores like a pox in recent years.

Cliffjumper
2015-09-21, 04:34 PM
Wish we had a B&M here... or even an Entertainer with some good stuff on offer; the only TF thing on our one's offer is the Deluxe-sized AoE guys who aren't actually the proper ones. Oh, and a boxed set of a Deluxe AoE Op and a G1-style Grimlock that was mildly tempting until I realised it was pretty close to the cost of importing an MP.

Denyer
2015-09-21, 07:16 PM
If you want me to poke my head back in and look for anything, let me know.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-09-21, 07:19 PM

Except the cheese, am I right? :lol:

Skyquake87
2015-09-21, 07:22 PM
The Entertainer is a weird toy shop. Its a strange collection of branded lines and off brand generic piffle, the sort you'd get down a market.

Been moderately impressed with the eerily tidy wall to ceiling line up present in Smyths (a short train ride away in Leeds), which seems to be doing what TRU do, only better. Neither they or TRU have a full compliment of Generations figures though, with local branches of TRU having just the recent CW Voyagers and unpriced Leader Megatrons (guess my price! guess my price! I'm just shoved on a shelf on my own two bays away from the Transformers stuff!) and Smyths having all the limb bots.

Everywhere else near me has those wretched two-step RID things that absolutely no one is interested in (and Asda have on permanent Buy 2 for 15. Er, no thanks).

Terome
2015-09-22, 08:40 AM
We've got none of those down our way - if anyone spots a Sandstorm or a Rhinox and would be minded to go to the hassle of posting them to me I'd be delighted.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-09-22, 09:43 AM
We've got none of those down our way - if anyone spots a Sandstorm or a Rhinox and would be minded to go to the hassle of posting them to me I'd be delighted.

If I see them, I'd get them for you. What is your upper price limit for each figure?

Cliffjumper
2015-09-22, 12:54 PM

A Jetfire and a Whirl would be smashing, just let me know how much. I'll also promise never to send you a Titan Heroes figure ever again.

Terome
2015-09-22, 03:26 PM
If I see them, I'd get them for you. What is your upper price limit for each figure?

Cheers! 20 is my upper price limit. I've also just realised I quite like Blitzwing if such an ancient figure is still around. Sandstorm's the priority though - putting together a Wreckers shelf which is just missing Sandstorm, Spartan and, of course, Rack n' Ruin.

Cliffjumper
2015-09-22, 03:51 PM
of course, Rack n' Ruin.

Sender address + chloroform. I SEE YOUR GAME.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-09-22, 04:07 PM

Sadly, I won't scale well, being way, way bigger than Voyager size.

Denyer
2015-09-22, 05:44 PM
Will aim to wander over tomorrow. TRU near us also had this type of stuff for comparable prices IIRC.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-09-22, 05:49 PM
Cheers! 20 is my upper price limit. I've also just realised I quite like Blitzwing if such an ancient figure is still around. Sandstorm's the priority though - putting together a Wreckers shelf which is just missing Sandstorm, Spartan and, of course, Rack n' Ruin.

Sandstorm and Blitzwing have been acquired. No Rhinox though. 12.99 each from Harwich B&M. I just need to find a box and the time to get to a Post Office now. No idea on postage cost yet. PM me your address and we'll go from there. :)

Re. Cliffjumper / Denyer

I can probably get hold of Whirl and Jetfire, if you have no luck with your hunt. Let me know.

Skyquake87
2015-09-22, 07:28 PM
TRU have Combiner Wars Voyagers for 16.99. Which means you've a choice of Hotspot or Cyclonus.

Brendocon 2.0
2015-09-23, 08:37 AM

My local TRU had three Generations Rhinoxes (Rhinoxi? Rhinocerox?) when I stuck my head in on Monday. They were about 12.99 when I grabbed myself one a couple of weeks ago, so they're presumably still the same.

Will probably be back over that way either on Thursday or Sunday when I go get mah comics for the week. Can grab one if you want?

@ Cliffy
They also had several Whirls at the same price point. There's a B&M on the same retail park which had about six Jetfires, though I don't know what price they were. Give me a shout if you get no joy elsewhere.

TRU also had lots of CW Hot Spots, Cyclonuses and Silverbolts at about the 16 mark if anybody's interested. Limb-wise there were some First Aids, Rooks, a Blades, a Streetwise and a Drag Strip on Monday, but I don't know the pricepoint.

There was a stack of TF4 and RiD stuff, but that may as well be Star Wars toys for all the attention I've been paying. If anybody wants me to look for anything specific just say.

Denyer
2015-09-23, 12:30 PM
Just popping in... got Jetfire/Whirl and picked up a Sandstorm and Blitzwing if anyone's looking. TRU is more or less on route home so will have a look in there.

Terome
2015-09-23, 01:20 PM

No! I was so close!

My local TRU had three Generations Rhinoxes (Rhinoxi? Rhinocerox?) when I stuck my head in on Monday. They were about 12.99 when I grabbed myself one a couple of weeks ago, so they're presumably still the same.

A Rhinox would be swell. While I'm going nuts, a 16 Hot Spot would nicely clog up the last remaining surfaces of my living area.

You guys are the nicest!

Cliffjumper
2015-09-23, 02:30 PM
Just popping in... got Jetfire/Whirl and picked up a Sandstorm and Blitzwing if anyone's looking. TRU is more or less on route home so will have a look in there.

SUPERSTAR!!!!! How much does I owes ya?

Denyer
2015-09-24, 08:58 PM
Will see if I can do it 2nd recorded, in which case would basically be fifty quid. Do you care about the boxes?

Cliffjumper
2015-09-24, 09:28 PM
Nah, boxless would be fine :) Cheers sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar :)

Skyquake87
2015-10-22, 08:46 PM
Morrisons - the better way to shop and save- are clearing out the RID Warrior class toys. They're 6. Wooo

Cliffjumper
2015-10-23, 08:04 PM
The Entertainer not only have that Silver Knight Optimus (Deluxe sized, so probably a Voyager) and Classics-ish Grimlock (Voyager sized, so probably a Supreme) for 17.49 but they also have the Kre-O Devastator vs. Ironhide set for 24.99 (down from 99.99 apparently).

Also half-price AoE stuff, but only the quick transform rubbish.

Sunrunner
2015-10-24, 08:20 PM
The Entertainer have the AOE Voyagers we missed out on when the movie line first did the rounds listed on their website at 23 a piece.
Not too fussed by Galvatron but could go for Hound. I'll probably wait and see if they turn up in B&M at half the price as the other Generations Voyagers have.
B&M seem to be picking up a lot of the Generations lines which for one reason or another never made it to UK retail first time round. We've had the data disk 2 packs, Voyagers (Springer, Sandstorm, Whirl, Roadbuster, Blitzwing, SkyByte, Rhinox and Brainstorm) and Leader Jetfire. Is there any chance of the Generations Deluxes making an appearance?

Cliffjumper
2015-10-24, 09:12 PM
Hound's a good mould but I'd really recommend the bootleg - size somewhere between an '07 Voyager and a Leader, metal cab, cigar and still cheaper than UK RRP.

Cliffjumper
2015-10-27, 05:08 PM
UK Toys R Us have a Prime Voyager doublepack of Classics Optimus and Evasion Optimus (in a movie colour scheme that makes him the right colours in robot mode but misses the point by doing the same to the truck mode) for twenty quid, which isn't bad for a couple of solid Prime moulds. Also have all those weird AoE Dinobot "Then & Now" sets for 8.

They also have Trypticon for 200, Perceptor and Blaster for something like 130 and the Coneheads for 90, all of which are hilarious prices, and they all look strangely cheap. TF plastic just seems to be an odd rubbery matt texture now?

Brendocon 2.0
2015-10-27, 07:35 PM
I actually stuck my head into Southampton TRU the weekend before last and saw Trypticon, Perceptor/Blaster and Sunstorm. My immediate thought was "I should probably tell Cliffy so he can laugh at the prices" but I got distracted by Jamie ****ing Vardy.

Cliffjumper
2015-10-27, 07:39 PM
I'm pretty sure if I emptied all the cereals in the kitchen into tupperware boxes and bought an Action Master off ebay I could make a Blaster. Was actually very very briefly interested until I remembered that Perceptor looks nothing like Perceptor.

inflatable dalek
2015-10-27, 08:34 PM
Considering the size of both Blaster and Perceptor, is Trypticon really 70 bigger?

I suspect that'll be a wait for stock to be reduced heavily game for anyone who wants them.

Cliffjumper
2015-10-27, 09:44 PM
He might have been 170 now (he's not on the website) I think about it, but it really was ridiculous pricing either way. The Coneheads actually seemed to be an 'offer' price as they were with the other specials; 30 each isn't toooo bad if you're after all three G1 Coneheads anyway. Reissue pricing should be a no-brainer but in all of those cases I'd be tempted to take my chances on getting something cheaper and vintage

It's a shame because those are all big ticket items that are just going to pull in absolutely no casual buys whatsoever; it's insane to try bricks-n-mortar reissues of that kind of size and price. Just sling the Season 1-2 cast out at the Voyager price point; no-one's going to go "Hey, Blaster was kinda cool in the bits of the movie I remember, I'll put down 130 on him".

Auntie Slag
2015-10-27, 09:59 PM
I'd like paper diorama's of various scenes from TF:TM, in much the same way you could buy those intricate paper theatres years ago for kids to play with.

All these toys are cool, but I'd really fancy a 3D cut out scene of Magnus, Perceptor, Springer and co. standing about just as the Deception's hit Autobot city.

Re-enact Hound and Sunstreaker's pisstaking poses behind Prime as he steps off the ship.

Or a 3D whirlpool of Sharkticons with Kranix suspended in mid-air on a bit of string. I'd love that!

And all of these being various scenes you could swap out in your re-enactment of TF:TM the stage play (19.95 for stage plus four scenes with appropriate characters. Additional scenes and characters sold separately).

I wonder if that would sell more than a 200 Trypticon?

Cliffjumper
2015-10-28, 12:10 AM
To get you started, ToyHax have made some lovely-looking "toy stages" - http://toyhax.com/75-toy-stages - planning on getting one for my MPs once I have a display case sorted.

One thing that I do think Hasbro should maybe explore for cheap nostalgia buyers (and for us) is 3 3/4" non-transforming figures, the same size as Star Wars and the like. Poseable animation (and/or comic)-model accurate versions of all your favourites in carded and playset flavours; plenty of repaint/retool possibilites. The "HYE LOL THIS TRANFORMER DON'T TRANFORM!!!" thing sailed a long time ago, why not do Action Masters again with modern tech and a nostalgia-courting release model? GI Joe managed to squeeze out modern figures of nobodies like Crazy Legs and Lift Ticket this way, surely Transformers could get us a set of poseable Wreckers?

Skyquake87
2015-10-28, 07:25 PM
I'd be up for new Action Masters, esp if they're as good as the 5" Marvel Legends figures Hasbro do. Plus there's the option to do BAF stuff.

Takara did something similar when that SCF stuff was a hot thing with those Super SCF figures, although the line didn't seem to do so well - using Armada characters wasn't such a swift move though.

Cliffjumper
2015-10-28, 11:27 PM
Yeh, I had the Star Saber one - it was nice enough but the tech just wasn't quite there and TBH the things were just too big.