PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #45

zigzagger
2015-09-23, 01:13 AM
Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #45 three-page preview by way of iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/transformers-more-than-meets/id1042121170?l=es&mt=11).

Full issue is scheduled for September 30!

Death's Head
2015-09-23, 09:43 AM
Yes.

Unicron
2015-09-23, 04:01 PM
As I've said elsewhere, I need the issues that those recap panels are from. It has to happen someday.

zigzagger
2015-09-24, 12:46 AM
Yeah, kind of brings a dopey grin to my face knowing that the Scavengers are off having wacky space adventures of their own.

Red Dave Prime
2015-09-24, 06:17 AM
As I've said elsewhere, I need the issues that those recap panels are from. It has to happen someday.

Nah, it could never live up to the hype in our minds. I'd love a four part mini with the boys but I like that there are all these adventures happening elsewhere that we never know about.

Selkadoom
2015-09-24, 06:32 AM
Yeah, kind of brings a dopey grin to my face knowing that the Scavengers are off having wacky space adventures of their own.

That panel at thw bottom killed me, as did Spinister screaming his own name as he attacked

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-09-24, 09:59 AM
Me likey. :D

While I love the jokey "recap" panels, I too think they are best kept as one panel gags. A Scavengers mini would be well worth a read, though.

Is anyone else expecting the trademark James Roberts "mood whiplash" to kick in just after these pages? I expect the shizzle will get real, real quick, and the Scavengers will end up having a real fight on their hands. Maybe Grimlock goes on the rampage? Maybe the DJD catch up with them, as another handy DJD threat level reminder ahead of the allegedly momentous 50th issue? I hope Misfire will be OK. :sweatdrop

I look forward to this issue a lot.

inflatable dalek
2015-09-30, 08:19 PM
OUT NOW AND SPOILERS FOLLOW.

The recap page was good fun (and coincidentally reminded me of a similar "Flashback to adventures we never saw" sequence in the Doctor Who audio Terror Firma, "The violins! They're coming alive!"). It's amusing how great minds can think alike as the final panel was basically the same gag as the MTMTE toy catalogue Kris Carter made for Auto Assembly (though considering the likely lead in time this presumably pre-dates that).

Going into this I didn't know this was (at least) a two parter so I was worried too much time was being spent on the fake out of the opening game, but with an extra issue to go it actually wound up working nicely as a way of reintroducing everyone after their long absence.

It's very nice it's Misfire (who with his whole useless shooting ability thing probably emphasises with being dead weight) is the one who has taken it upon himself to look after Grimlock, and gave some heart to what was a rapidfire gag opening.

The idea of a Decepticon stand up comedian is a delicious one, especially with it being Skullcruncher, and it's interesting so many Decepticons seem to be rehabilitating themselves across the galaxy, I have a feeling the Autobots may be having a harder time of it. Some of the commentary (both in the gags and the Scavengers reactions) did feel like the author having to direct a pop at internet posts (The War REALLY is over!) and it was perhaps a bit mean to so mercilessly send up the fact the Infiltration idea doesn't really make any sense when that was somebody else's idea, but as a catalyst for Krok's little breakdown it was very nicely handled.

We've had a bit of talk of monoformers over the run of MTMTE, so it was nice to have a decent look at an extreme one (and of course the obvious in retrospect confirmation that Krok is one), a nice little bit of world building. It was also really nice the Scavengers vote on Grimlock wasn't even close, a good reminder that they may be likeable bastards but they're still bastards.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes from here, including what someone wants Grimlock for. Nice to see Maximus hasn't been forgotten either. All in all a very promising opening with lots of neat moments.

Wait, the return of Maximus ruins a lengthy joke I made in an as yet unreleased Podcast Maximus! 0/10.

Terome
2015-10-01, 08:29 PM
I've read it! I liked it, seems like what MTMTE would look like if it launched today (generally, a lot more like Firefly than Cheers). The Fort Max reveal did trigger a pet peeve of mine but it generally worked towards the DJD fake-out they were building to. The Grimlock/Misfire stuff was also quite affecting.

More later.

Denyer
2015-10-01, 09:13 PM
Not how I expected Skullcruncher might make an appearance, but I particularly like the commitment to playing the war being over straight. Plenty of substance under the wacky.

FOUR HOURS LATER.

Selkadoom
2015-10-02, 10:35 PM
I still enjoy that as much as TLL dicks around, there'll aleays be a crew out there that is even less organized and uncaring towards success

Knightdramon
2015-10-03, 03:26 PM
Not a bad issue, and a nice change of scenery from the LL.

I was never that big a Scavengers fan but I do enjoy the mischief they've been up to. I like the real-life parallels that bring an air of freshness to a mythos that is predominantly defined by big robots fighting and nothing more.

I'd be interested in learning who the monoformer was talking to, and why pretty much everybody except the Autobots are so interested in Grimlock. It's odd...Magnus is not looking for him, Prime does not appear to even notice the dinobots being 4 instead of 5, Slag and the team are indifferent, even Prowl is apparently oblivious to the fact that one of the top powerhouses and "criminals" in their ranks are missing.

Speaking of monoformers, I'm loving the gradual segregation of the cybertronian society. Adds depth to an otherwise "red versus purple" war, and introduces concepts such as "racism" and whatnot.

Many folks argue that these are unecessary touches but I'm very happy with them, from Nova's fascist regime to Skullcruncher's stand up comedy show, these are what can elevate the franchise from a kid's show to proper sci-fi.

Is it just me or is the overall timeline of MTMTE a bit...off?

I was under the impression that S1 was over the span of about a year or so, DC, 6 months time skip, S2 underway. So we're talking about two years roughly, yet the Scavengers reference the events of 7-8 [meeting Grimlock] as a few months ago.

The DJD attack the ALL almost immediately after issue 8 in that timeline, and their medic states that they went back for the engines a year + after that event, which occured a while ago in this timeline [around issues 32-34]...so a few months ago for the Scavengers doesn't make much sense unless the issue takes place chronologically before the current adventures of the LL.

Inks or detail are a bit off in this issue, especially once the Scavengers reach the warehouse. It's apparent on the background moreso than the bots involved.

Fortress Maximus is back, yay. I wonder if Red Alert is with him or not. Although...Magnus used to arrest bots and jail them, Maximus appears a lot more trigger happy with cons?

Red Dave Prime
2015-10-03, 04:42 PM
Dark cybertron is over the course of a few days I think. If I remember right, megs returns in rid and that's night 1 and then its straight into dark cybertron and that's only a couple of days as well.

Terome
2015-10-03, 08:02 PM
I'd not be surprised if the timeline makes little to no sense. It would be nice if it did but I think it might be more collateral damage from the crossovers.

Knightdramon
2015-10-03, 08:40 PM
Now I get why I always thought it was a two year or so timeline...

Re-reading S1. Tyrest mentions to Magnus that he's left in the cold for 18 months or so. Chromedome also says something to that extent. Which presumably coincides with the war ending, which is followed by Tyrest berating Magnus for actions during the series.

Which is odd, because RID S1 does not appear to have taken place through 18 months :lol:

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-10-04, 08:46 AM
That was quite amusing. Four hours later - heh.

A quick question for those of you who get printed comics delivered: From where do you get your comics, and what day of the week do you normally receive them?

My current sub comic comes on Friday or Saturday, but it seems like others get their copies earlier. I may switch providers if I can get it quicker.

Denyer
2015-10-04, 09:29 AM
I normally order singles (and trades) but read downloads, which appear in dark corners of the internet as released.

Knightdramon
2015-10-04, 11:28 AM
I think it depends on the supplier---I know that Travelling Man get their new releases on Thursday, so add shipping on top of that...Friday/Saturday makes sense.

I get releases from comixology on release, then buy the trades from thebookdepository once they are released.

Auntie Slag
2015-10-04, 04:27 PM
Well I thought that was spectacular! I love the Scavengers, and this issue will probably be one of my favourites (every issue takes time to sink in with me, coz I'm slow).

The attention to detail was sublime. That toy photo on the first page, with Spinister looking away distractedly!

Nothing bad to say, this is a totally excellent product :)

Selkadoom
2015-10-06, 04:55 AM
I feel I should ask if anybody is reading RID anymore

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-10-06, 06:47 AM
I've picked up the last three issues of TCFKA-RID. They have been generally good, with some very enjoyable bits. Cosmos and Tracks do stuff! :)

Skyquake87
2015-10-06, 07:03 PM
Sadly, RID lost me with Prowlestator, and Megatron having a cunning plan, so cunning you dress it up and call it a weasel (rightly mocked by dalek in the latest podcast). I did like that 'bookshelf' format , whatsit...Punishment! that was alright.

MTMTE is more my thing, as its imaginative, its funny and it feels real. The way just small lines of dialogue about race, function and Decepticons doing stand up makes Transformers feel more credible. I know a lot of people tend to like their sci-fi po-faced and serious, and about galactic councils and things ruled by committee (why? I work in that environment and its balls) so they can pretend it has meaning and resonance, forgetting those are the very things that make sci-fi impenetrable to people who might otherwise enjoy this sort of thing.

ANYWAY! This was an absolute hoot and I loved it. The opening panels, sending up a lot of the mores of MTMTE and Transformers in general (FOUR HOURS LATER - genius).

Probably just going to repeat what everyone else has said, but slag it, the good bits are worth repeating! Misfire's relationship with Grimlock, the shooty dart game, Fulcrum being happy enough to fart about around the galaxy, Krok just being ... Krok (always liked his character design too), the energex with notes on... fella making toys out of left over scrap "they're all sold on pre-order". Just great, great stuff.

It also made me think that MTMTE could stand to spare an issue or two doing something like this with the vast cast on the Lost Light we've not really seen much of. Although I'm totally lost with whose on there and do increasingly think that the 'cast of 200' might have been a bad idea, given how successfully this book just focuses on a few core characters in much the same way Beast Wars did.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-10-06, 07:42 PM
I agree that MTMTE focuses on a small number of familiar faces to good effect. I do find the nebulous 180 or so "other" crew members intriguing. For example, why did Grapple sign up? What does he do all day?

I wonder if Jim Bob knows the "rest" aren't getting enough focus, and he might actually be planning on reducing the roster somewhat in the issue 50 related arc, based on the title I've seen floating about. Underbase style massacre? Lost Light lost? I could see the Rodpod and our regular crew being separated somehow from the LL, and the series continues to focus on them only (think Red Dwarf when they were stuck on the Starbug).

Auntie Slag
2015-10-06, 09:15 PM
I agree with Skyquake. MTMTE feels (certainly now, the last few issues lost me a bit) rather vital and excellent. I enjoy picking it up probably more so than when I used to get the original comics from the newsagent.

I flicked through an RID TPB in a shop the other day, I only read a few pages but I liked it. I’d certainly be happy to pick it up in this format one day. But if this was Top of the Pops or a concert, then MTMTE is the band I want to see. If RID are playing there then that’s cool, but they’re not the one’s whose name I carved into my arm with a stanley knife.

Auntie Slag
2015-10-06, 10:05 PM
And 'Four Hours Later'. He needs an award for that!

Death's Head
2015-10-06, 11:58 PM
. If RID are playing there then that’s cool, but they’re not the one’s whose name I carved into my arm with a stanley knife.

:D

(James would so love that. He wouldn't be allowed to say so, but he'd love it.)

inflatable dalek
2015-10-07, 06:08 AM
If I were going to carve one into my arm it'd be RID on the grounds it's two letters less.

Summerhayes
2015-10-07, 01:15 PM
Ooh, I liked that! And I'm only a week behind for once.
I was totally expecting to see the DJD right up until the badge dropped down, so I'm keen to find out what Forty Babes is after. Scrap Metal theft? It's a major concern!

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-10-07, 01:23 PM
Ooh, I liked that! And I'm only a week behind for once.
I was totally expecting to see the DJD right up until the badge dropped down, so I'm keen to find out what Forty Babes is after. Scrap Metal theft? It's a major concern!

Fruitloop Multipuck is acting on behalf of Hasbro, and clamping down (very) hard on third party toy manufacturers.

Continuing my Red Dwarf thought, which MTMTE characters would be good fits for the main characters in Red Dwarf?

I'll go for:

Lister = Swerve, maybe?
Rimmer = Rodimus
Kryten = Magnus
The Cat = Ravage? ;) Nah. Maybe Brainstorm or Atomizer? Yeah, Atomizer.

Red Dave Prime
2015-10-07, 02:31 PM
I may have this completely wrong but I always think of Swerve as the fat annoying "mate" in 80's hollywood movies. Kinda Chris Farley stuff but with a bit more awareness. Couldnt see him as lister.

Rodimus as Rimmer? Cant see that. I'd almost go Brainstorm as Rimmer. Or maybe Drift. Rodimus might fit the Lister role better.

Magnus is a perfect fit for Kryten alright and Brainstorm isnt a bad choice for Kat (would go whirl myself given the ego)

I could go with Swerve as Holly.

(and obviously Thunderclash as Ace Rimmer)

Warcry
2015-10-07, 04:22 PM
I feel I should ask if anybody is reading RID anymore
I honestly forget that it exists other than when people ask in MTMTE threads if anyone is reading it.

I definitely enjoyed this issue, though I thought that the supposed moral quandary at the end was both a bit forced and a bit of a cop-out. Grimlock is a dangerous enemy who would probably kill the Scavengers immediately if he ever recovered his faculties enough to understand who he was. I would totally vote to jettison him at the first possible opportunity and Misfire is silly not to see it. Like, I wouldn't even need the offer of money to do it, and they're idiots for still having him on the ship to begin with. Though I suppose that's sort of the point where the Scavengers are concerned.

But then Fort Max showed up and made the whole thing moot. :(

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like Fort Max. But I like seeing characters have to live with the consequences of their actions even more.

I am looking forward to where things go from here, though.

One thing that did sort of bug me, though? Skullcruncher as a stand-up comic. The dude's character profile is basically "dumb cannibalistic serial killer". Couldn't Roberts have flipped through the catalogue a bit deeper and found someone who was actually supposed to be funny? That's a fairly big peeve of mine with Roberts' work in general, honestly. He writes interesting characters but they often have little resemblance to the people whose faces they wear.

Summerhayes
2015-10-07, 04:23 PM
Hmm... Magnus might make quite a good Rimmer. Some of the time at least. But an even better Kryten. Maybe Nightbeat as Rimmer (ignoring the competence).
Rodimus as Lister I can see, definitely.
Atomiser is probably the closest to Cat. Or what's - her - face with the firey hat.

Death's Head
2015-10-07, 04:36 PM
Rodimus is the cat, surely? Sound and fury signifying nothing upstairs. Magnus's insistence on the rules makes him a murdery Rimmer, but I agree he's also got a touch of the Kryten about him.

Dunno about a Lister, mind. Lister's supposed to sum up humanity; the best and the worst of us. He has an easy charm, though, and I'm not sure that describes many Lost Lighters.

Skyquake87
2015-10-07, 06:04 PM
Fruitloop Multipuck is acting on behalf of Hasbro, and clamping down (very) hard on third party toy manufacturers.

Ha! Would be awesome if it was this ..! :lol:

@Warcry ... "serial killer discovers Primus and turns to stand up" ...?

...no?

inflatable dalek
2015-10-08, 06:53 AM
I honestly forget that it exists other than when people ask in MTMTE threads if anyone is reading it.

I have read it, but haven't had time to start a thread yet. I'm a busy man.

Though it did crack the UK comixology top ten for the first time with the latest issue, so someone other than me must be reading it.

I definitely enjoyed this issue, though I thought that the supposed moral quandary at the end was both a bit forced and a bit of a cop-out. Grimlock is a dangerous enemy who would probably kill the Scavengers immediately if he ever recovered his faculties enough to understand who he was. I would totally vote to jettison him at the first possible opportunity and Misfire is silly not to see it. Like, I wouldn't even need the offer of money to do it, and they're idiots for still having him on the ship to begin with. Though I suppose that's sort of the point where the Scavengers are concerned.

But then Fort Max showed up and made the whole thing moot. :(

I don't know, they followed through on the vote rather than having Max enter before we could see the results, and it was a fairly decisive victory for selling Grimlock. The cop-out will be if Grimlock saves them all next issue and it makes those that voted against him regret it.

I could actually see Grimlock, assuming he remembered being cared for, at least parting the Scavengers without killing them all.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like Fort Max. But I like seeing characters have to live with the consequences of their actions even more.

I am looking forward to where things go from here, though.

I originally thought it killed the very funny gag Terome and I made in the Chaos Theory podcast about what a terrible security guy Max was (what sort of prison warden uses the prisoners to try and recapture other prisoners? The guy is a joke) they gave him the now defunct job of dully appointed enforcer of the Tyrest accord just to get rid of him.

But thinking about it, dealing with dodgy toy salesmen... Yeah, Max is desperately trying to find work for himself now no one takes the position seriously (Oh, you're the enforcer of that crazy guys accord are you? The job previously held by a religious nut? We should pay attention because?").

One thing that did sort of bug me, though? Skullcruncher as a stand-up comic. The dude's character profile is basically "dumb cannibalistic serial killer". Couldn't Roberts have flipped through the catalogue a bit deeper and found someone who was actually supposed to be funny? That's a fairly big peeve of mine with Roberts' work in general, honestly. He writes interesting characters but they often have little resemblance to the people whose faces they wear.

That's sort of the thing though isn't it, the post war Decepticons are suddenly finding niches for themselves they'd have never even thought of during the war.

It's not as if Skullcruncher is an especially smart comedian either, he's doing obvious crowd pleasing Peter Kay style "Things from the past are a bit silly when you think about them aren't they?" surface level comedy. "That phase policy, what's that all about then?" is basic stuff. The only real trick is hitting on stuff people do remember and will agree is pretty silly creating the laughter of recognition.

[I'm assuming Roberts did this deliberately rather than having a terrible sense of humour]

Plus, writing Skullcruncher as a cannibalistic serial killer when the one and only thing we know about the IDW version is he can work for lengthy periods in close quarters with a small number of Decepticons on a stealth mission without killing, eating or otherwise giving himself away would be a contradiction in and of itself (though tbh, I'd forgotten he was on Nebulos in Stormbringer).

Also, who says he doesn't eat the audience afterwards?

Of course, the likely real reason Roberts has put Skullcruncher in this role is the guy having a new toy out as part of the next wave of "Hasbro give us tremendous freedom as long as we listen very carefully every time they say jump" toy promotion. Look forward to more Skullcruncher comedy early next year, this was presumably just to establish him.

Mind, if Skullcruncher is the extent to which MTMTE gets the Combiner Wars style treatment, we'll have had a lucky escape.

inflatable dalek
2015-10-08, 07:55 AM
Oh, and if anyone wants to start declaring the sky is falling, Roberts tweeted this last night:

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/651904447325577216

Mind, it could refer to just about anything: Nearing the end of season 2, or even not be related to Transformers at all. Nick Roche suggested a terminal disease.

Though if Hasbro really are going to push for greater synergy between toys and everything a lot of the appeal may go from working on the book. Imagine trying to work Megatron now being Galvatron's headmaster into the series.

Rack 'n Ruin
2015-10-08, 08:56 AM
Though if Hasbro really are going to push for greater synergy between toys and everything a lot of the appeal may go from working on the book. Imagine trying to work Megatron now being Galvatron's headmaster into the series.

Easy. The "Megatron" on the Lost Light is actually a shadowplayed and body gloved Dominus Ambus. The real Megatron used his mass shifting capabilities to escape unnoticed at the end of Dark Cybertron, before being reformatted into a Headmaster for a "Galvatron" drone body. Megatron is now operating "undercover", leading the Decepticon forces on Earth. All the clues are there: a reminder of Megatron's mass shifting capabilities during the ALL adventure, and a pre-Megatron-Galvatron being shown to be incredibly opposed to binary bonding my slaughtering all those he can in an old RID issue (oh, the irony!). Obvious really, when you look at it! :lol:

Auntie Slag
2015-10-08, 01:18 PM
Good lord, R & R you sexy beast I love those ideas. But Dominus & Rewind arrived back on Cybertron once the war was underway, yes? And Megatron has already experienced an amount of shadowplay thanks to Trepan.

There could be a swathe of interesting stories that have been erased that he could come upon if they find some Institute floppy disks lying around. Eh, Chromedome?

I know you're joking, but cool ideas all the same! :)

Summerhayes
2015-10-08, 05:04 PM
At this point, I'd have hoped the people upstairs have realised MTMTE is.only selling because your boy J-Robz has been allowed to do his own thing.

He did say 100 issues at the start, and he has presumably finished work on 50? So maybe it's just that.

Red Dave Prime
2015-10-08, 05:21 PM
Doesn't that Roberts quote just indicate he has begun work on the post fifty issues of mtmte and there has only 40 or so issues to go while 50+ are already done?

Edit: So yeah, what summerhayes wrote and I neglected to read. Silly red Dave...

Auntie Slag
2015-10-08, 06:16 PM
And there's all the great stuff around it, too. The next few months should be ace with this, Sins of the Wreckers AND a MTMTE Christmas special!

Or maybe the Christmas issue is just a slightly fatter edition of regular MTMTE (I'm not really sure). Should be fun, though.

And that Star Wars film!

Christmas 2015 with Transformers and Star Wars at the tops of their game, eh? Whod've thought that back when we were kids playing with someone else's Thundercracker in the playground. Oo-er! :smokin:

Summerhayes
2015-10-08, 06:25 PM
I always wanted to play with my friend's Claptrap but she got Arcee so I went home and mucked about with my Rodimus.

Auntie Slag
2015-10-08, 06:36 PM
Just be sure you don't touch the Hotspot at Lightspeed, or there'll be Jazz all over the place.

Auntie Slag
2015-10-08, 08:48 PM
I was over at Transmasters UK and a post by Phillip Ayres in their MTMTE thread had this link about how the Scavengers photo (http://tfsquareone.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/idw-mtmte-45-that-scavengers-photo.html) at the bottom of Page 1 was made. All thanks to that chap Maz, who posts here a lot :)

The lengths they went to, especially for Crankcase!