PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #52

zigzagger
2016-04-15, 03:40 PM
Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #52 three-page preview by way of iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/transformers-more-than-meets/id1103970113?mt=11).

Full issue due April 27.

Red Dave Prime
2016-04-15, 05:18 PM
That all feels a bit messy, bet it was a bugger for AM to draw.

Nitpicking, we still seem to have all-over the place power levels. Its really hard to tell how powerful any particular bot is in this. Maybe it would have been better if Helex wasnt included and it was just Kaon and the pet, with some genericons. Also, is it established if Ten has been enhanced since he become part of the lost light? Because I wouldnt have thought he could take the beating from last issue and still be able to do a Shoryuken to the pet.

Patapsco
2016-04-15, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't worry about Ten, he falls under Roberts patented "Characters never really die because reasons" folder. But wait, did a Decepticon death squad really just fall back because a mutated Turbofox was being threatened? Really?

Red Dave Prime
2016-04-15, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't worry about Ten, he falls under Roberts patented "Characters never really die because reasons" folder. But wait, did a Decepticon death squad really just fall back because a mutated Turbofox was being threatened? Really?

mm-hmm. Very Hinky. (bonus ten TFA points if you can tell me what film thats from because I, for the life of me, cant remember)

The Humanizing of the DJD continues. Not sure where I stand with it. Also - hostage situations dont work if you have every the enemy surrounded surely?

pick pick pick pick pick....

Patapsco
2016-04-15, 07:31 PM
It's only three pages but it looks like some of the literary gymnastics needed to extricate the crew from the most dire of situations are being enacted. Russell T Davies would be proud

Red Dave Prime
2016-04-15, 07:37 PM
Feel it would have worked better if at the end of the last issue instead of Drift and Ratchet standing there if they were on the ships lowered platform, scoop up ten and escape quickly - obviously after Ravage finds them and tells them were Ten is.

Patapsco
2016-04-15, 08:54 PM
No, you can't have all that at the end of the last issue because the "fandom" had to wet their undercrackers at just the reveal of Ratchet and Drift being back. Tacking on a few extra pages just underwhelms that simple SQUEEEEEE moment and torches 1000s of slash fiction pieces

Red Dave Prime
2016-04-16, 07:48 AM
My version would still have provided a satisfying Squeee. Just less convuluted escape that doesn't make the decepticons look a bit shit.

Patapsco
2016-04-18, 05:43 PM
Again, it's a preview but... there are 400 odd Decepticons on the planet, including 5 who have polished off two Phase Sixers and the 200 odd crew of the alt Lost Light without breaking a sweat. Why are they suddenly crippled with Gee Wun TV show incompetence?

Red Dave Prime
2016-04-18, 06:00 PM
Again, mmm-hmm.

Patapsco
2016-04-27, 09:17 AM
More thoughts later, but I really want this arc to be over. Now

Heinrad
2016-04-27, 10:07 AM
mm-hmm. Very Hinky. (bonus ten TFA points if you can tell me what film thats from because I, for the life of me, cant remember)

The Humanizing of the DJD continues. Not sure where I stand with it. Also - hostage situations dont work if you have every the enemy surrounded surely?

pick pick pick pick pick....

The Fugitive, starring Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones.

Red Dave Prime
2016-04-27, 10:15 AM
Ah thank you. Remember it now. One of those things that popped into my head and I just could not place.

Red Dave Prime
2016-04-27, 01:27 PM
So, read and re-read.

Think this one will cause much debating. Without spoiling, I think it was fun but the feeling of over-egging reaches a bit of a high here (once you read it, you'll know exactly at which point I'm referring to). Still, some really nice scenes and images to go with the above and also one bit at the end which I am eager to discuss in a few hours once a few more of you are up to speed.

Thumb stuck in the middle for me.

Patapsco
2016-04-27, 03:19 PM
Having seen the initial hysterial reaction in the usual places, I expected big things. Instead I got another classic example of Roberts being completely and utterly unable to kill a single character off, a death which adds nothing except gives Roberts a convenient excuse to have Deathsaurus bugger off with his troops - after all Tarn did to Kaon exactly what Megatron did that caused Deathsaurus to desert in the first place. Even the dialogue between Tarn and Megatron felt stilted and forced, plus we get the reveal that, yup, Optimus has essentially poisoned Megs into pacifism so there hasn't been a real change of heart.

A bad issue

Red Dave Prime
2016-04-27, 05:19 PM
Ok, spoilers are in my response so look away if you have to.

Instead I got another classic example of Roberts being completely and utterly unable to kill a single character off,

I'm a bit yes and no. I actually am interested in who brought Overlord(possible being someone we know or someone new) but I felt the introduction was a bit too similar to last issues with ratchet and drift. As for Roberts no-kill policy, I dont really mind. Overlord was never confirmed dead and even back when issue 16 came out many of us were certain that he didnt look destroyed, just deactivated. I think there was always an intention to bring him back (cant say the same with rewind so far)

And just as a personnel complaint, I found that the initial re-intro was a bit dull. Cool that we had a smackdown between 2 phase sixers and I did like the needling near the end but overall, it seems a bit overkill to see him immediately side with the cons. How cool would it have been for Overlord to save Megatron on the condition that he wants megatron to be fighting fit for a final showdown. It didnt fit Overlords ideals that he would want to take out an ailing megs. I always got the idea that he wanted a final one on one with a fully powered megs to prove he was better. But that could just be my take on the situation.

death which adds nothing except gives Roberts a convenient excuse to have Deathsaurus bugger off with his troops - after all Tarn did to Kaon exactly what Megatron did that caused Deathsaurus to desert in the first place

Gah! This was exactly what went through my head. Now, its still possible that we see the fall out come the next issue (which would even the fight a bit for the Autobots) but even without the deathsauras issue, this felt really contrived - the whole set-up of the pet being taken hostage and that being the thing to send Tarn somewhat over the edge.

Was a very cool looking panel though.

Even the dialogue between Tarn and Megatron felt stilted and forced, plus we get the reveal that, yup, Optimus has essentially poisoned Megs into pacifism so there hasn't been a real change of heart

I thought that scene was fine and I loved Tarns rage and that here we had a case where he did fully intend to kill megs - if Overlord hadnt appeared, Megs was done. I also like the idea that the drugs are helping megatron - its more interesting than the usual narrative that these things take. It may or may not be a genuine change of heart but it could also be that Megatron had something wrong with him after the Brainstorm incident (and remember, although the operation wasnt complete there was some work done on his brain before that) and thats what made him such a rage monster - its possible the fools energon is helping balance his system so his true personality has returned.

Overall, I dont think this is a bad issue but it does have some very debatable choice in plot and development.

We also get another whopper of a letters page. Rejoice all ye cynics! :)

Patapsco
2016-04-27, 05:37 PM
I've read it three or four times now, and all I keep thinking is "Is that it?" because this felt like deep fried filler. It still does. My first reaction when Overlord appeared was not "OH MY GOD", "I CAN'T BREATHE" or "I'M SCREAMING" but "really?" You already have the DJD and their previous actions on one side, plus Deathsaurus and his 400 odd bodies, now you add in another almost undefeatable monster to the other side? You can't stack the improbability odds on one side so high because they'll fall over - it's the same reason I gave up on Doctor Who after the first two John Simm Master episodes.

Red Dave Prime
2016-04-27, 06:18 PM
Ooooh, I think filler is a bit harsh. We have a lot happening here to move the plot on, even if I don't feel it all works.

That said, my reaction to overlord was somewhat similar. I just think there was a better way than having him align with the cons. And while I think we may get a fake out (and I don't rule out the fixers being drift and ratchet) I still think it hasn't been the best choice.

Patapsco
2016-04-27, 06:33 PM
I like you RDP, you can disagree with me without calling me names. Though I'm pretty sure someone's going to throw some shade at me because I don't believe rainbows fly out of Roberts arse and onto the page. Also, I genuinely do like the book! I love it! It's just it's been pretty "meh" since, oooh, 47 and doesn't seem able to get back to those (admittedly very) high standards. I'm also sure that this will read much better as a trade than as a standalone too.

inflatable dalek
2016-04-27, 07:47 PM
One of those issues where it'll be easier to judge in retrospect, especially on the return of Overlord. I can see how that could be something that will annoy a lot of people (it does come out of nowhere, at least with Ratchet and Drift turning up at exactly that moment it was set up in advance even if we didn't realise whose SPACE phone First Aid gave Velocity) but it was so random and insane I actually kind of liked it. But it could wind up over-egging the pudding (do we need someone else who really hates and wants to kill Megatron hanging about?), I now certainly don't expect to revisit the Lost Light in this storyline as there's too much to do here now. Chase the ship looks increasingly likely to be season 3.

liked the double subversion with Ravage. him turning on Ten felt perfectly in character last issue, but it just being an especially brutal way of rescuing him also felt right (especially as it's left uncertain if he'd have gone back if the ship hadn't belonged to allies). Again, I can see this small crew holding off against two DJD members and a bunch of other guys (bar the plot required damage to the shuttle) annoying a lot of people but, again, I really liked the idea that Kaon being that worried about his pet.

It's looking more and more like the ALL massacre was the result of everyone being off their tits on nucleon, the holding back and thinking here is really to their detriment as they're actually too unstable and blinded by rules to be as effective otherwise.

It doesn't help that Megatron brings out the worst in Tarn, he's going to pieces here and the debate between the two of them I think was intentionally not a great series of speeches but rather a petulant and uncertain guy who just has no idea how to deal with a happy Megatron who doesn't even mind if he's being brainwashed (I'm now convinced a source of jeopardy with be the others having to give Megatron "Proper" Energon to save his life from the wounds here, what will be the result?).

The death of Kaon was interesting in that it felt like something Tarn wouldn't have done before coming here (yes, not shooting the dog was stupid even allowing for the fact the others seem more concerned about each other than Tarn does for them), he'd have made the guy fill out a disciplinary form more likely because he'd have had the confidence they'd catch the escapees anyway. It was also a really stupid thing to do in front of Deathsaurus. But it felt like something he would have done at that exact moment.

And yes, I can see the potential complaints of the DJD being destroyed by falling apart themselves rather than because of anything our heroes have done, but it worked for me.

And whilst I'm not sure what Overlord's role is (or that of his mysterious repairers, will next issue's Surprise Full Page Appearance be Pharma and whoever--the knights?--rescued him?), I found him hilarious here. He's the only person in this comic having a fun day and he was great sarcastic entertainment.

Amidst all that though, the best scenes were Rewind (if Overlord's back, odds are good we're going to get that two Rewind's scene) and Nautica and especially Rodimus and Drift. Which was bang on.

And that possible to read in so many ways final panel of him clutching the Autobrand...

Yeah, so in short I can sympathise with people who don't like it, but most of it was the full Energon as far as I was concerned.

Loved that James and Nick seem to have coordinated a head destruction in their two issues as well.

inflatable dalek
2016-04-27, 08:07 PM
Oh, managed to miss a lot of replies somehow, so I wasn't ignoring people's points or being vague with my references to "People", who were hypothetical.

Can't see where RDP called you names Patapsco, he just disagreed with you a bit (but is far closer overall to your thinking than mine). If we were going to batter to death people who had complaints we'd have gotten rid of Warcry years ago.

Knightdramon
2016-04-27, 08:08 PM
Don't know about co-ordination...not sure when what was written when, but if Sins was sticking to a monthly schedule, 4 would be out at...49? 50? :P

Dalek, the transfusion theory is one that I've discussed with others, perhaps a frenzy ala 28 days later?

I'm pretty sure Overlord is working for the organization featured in 46 too---the flesh pod people. He doesn't specifically say they want Megatron, just that their interests align with his own. Only reason I'd see him being on the planet without knowing Megatron is on is that Velocity might have tripped some silent alarm in the pod room and Overlord was the nearest "agent"?

Tarn/Megatron/Overlord were just sublime in my opinion in their paired interactions. I think that Tarn is looking for some vindication on his entire life more or less. If 39 is anything to go by, he was not fully at ease with what he was doing, so further confirmation straight from the horse's mouth that it might have been for nothing is just fuel for the fire.

Not sure if it's a dramatic posing or not, but he's puncturing Megatron's neck in the same way he did to Grimlock in issue 8. Or maybe it's me clutching at straws at my earliest theory that he's just injecting bots with what Roller was drinking in 36, faking out his speech ability? Maybe his outlier ability is something else?

I think Roberts is just installing a safety backdoor in case Megatron needs to take the purple mantle again with the chemicals thing. It can go either way, but Megatron made the switch during Dark Cybertron, pre-chemicals. He seemed defiant to a Decepticon call to the very end though, his looking at the Autobot symbol before being blasted being a beautiful scene in my opinion.

Overlord versus Tarn was great---there you have two power titans who can dominate and bully countless bots, but are standing at equal height here, both at power levels and at quips. I think that they were both spot on, Overlord's "a thug with a mask" and Tarn's "at least he hasn't forgotten me" being correct and hitting the mark. Their fight was visually interesting to, not something that Roberts is known for.

The aftermath on the Peaceful Tyranny was shocking but expected, you can see Tarn boiling and shaking his fist as Overlord is just babbling on. As others stated, I don't see Deathsaurus willing to align himself with Tarn for much longer, and even Overlord shut up and was visibly distraught at the horrific scene.

Weak points? The Drift/Rodimus reunion was a bit stale and felt rushed. If next issue is a "sit down and talk" issue perhaps it would have been better saved at that point.

Eager to see where this is going. Strongest issue of the 6 parter so far in my opinion.

Patapsco
2016-04-27, 08:50 PM
Can't see where RDP called you names Patapsco, he just disagreed with you a bit (but is far closer overall to your thinking than mine). If we were going to batter to death people who had complaints we'd have gotten rid of Warcry years ago.

I'm not entirely sure what my own line of thinking on the book is. I think it's just a bit of it's cleverness. It doesn't feel as sharp, some of it feels forced at times. #47 was the most obvious example because it didn't feel like a Roberts issue, more like a ghost-written one which tried to copy his style. That 48 & 49 didn't really fix any of those problems (again, could be self-perceived on my behalf) and instead exacerbated them hasn't really gone away.

Unicron
2016-04-27, 10:28 PM
I'm beginning to think that Tarn's going off his nut and brutalizing Kaon is all to set up Deathsaurus and his crew ditching the DJD and joining up with Megatron to even the odds. Current Megatron isn't the same bot that Deathy parted ways with long ago.

It seems the most logical way to solve the Team Rodimus/Megatron vs DJD/Deathsaurus (and now Overlord) imbalance using the tools at hand and not having to resort to something like a last minute Omega Supreme appearance or what have you.
The main problem is how to set up a conversation between Megs and Deathy to show that Megatron is now different

Red Dave Prime
2016-04-27, 11:38 PM

I think Patapsco was saying that its cool that we can disagree here without resorting to name calling. If I've got that wrong Patapsco and I said something to offend it was definitely unintentional. I like your take on MTMTE and the other IDW comics.

Going over the comments, I find myself agreeing with a lot of the good points raised but I also feel in agreement with Patapsco over the last view issues - things just don't feel as well thought out as before and I wonder is this because of other influences (certain things needed to be done to get Dark Cybertron to line up which Roberts couldn't have foreseen, and there felt like a rush to line everything up for issue 50) I cant say I haven't enjoyed the last 6 issues but they don't feel as tight as before.

Whats still very nice is all the speculation here about what could be going on - its one of the nice things with MTMTE in that it does make you think outside of the immediate and try and spot the angles. My own take (a little like Unicorn) is I feel that Tarn has never recovered from learning of Megatrons betrayal. Trust into a situation where instead of following the ideals of a leader, he know is the leader and like many cons before him, he is crumbling under the pressure - which is all great.

Cant see Deathsarus joining Megs and the Autobots - he and his army are still decepticons. I do see them leaving though - if he stays after what Tran did to Kaon, than that really doesn't follow through on a key point of why Deathsauras left Megatron in the first place.

Also don't see Overlord being a first response as he is clearly here to kill megatron - although I did think that was an excellent idea. I get the feeling whomever rebuilt him is going to use him to weaken the transformers overall - maybe he will betray everyone and take out Deathsauras and his band. That would be a hell of a blow against any new decepticon force starting up.

So many ideas floating about.

Death's Head
2016-04-28, 07:41 AM
I did enjoy Tarn and Overlord arguing like tarts over Megatron's corpse. Blackly humourous.

Warcry
2016-04-28, 06:30 PM
If we were going to batter to death people who had complaints we'd have gotten rid of Warcry years ago.
You just try it!

I've read it three or four times now, and all I keep thinking is "Is that it?" because this felt like deep fried filler. It still does. My first reaction when Overlord appeared was not "OH MY GOD", "I CAN'T BREATHE" or "I'M SCREAMING" but "really?"
Same here. Overlord popping up on a giant splash page in the middle of so much else going on got nothing by eye-rolls from me. But he immediately turned around and became the most entertaining thing that's happened in the book in the last year, and by the time the issue was over he'd won me over.

You're right that it pushes the odds against the heroes from "overwhelming" to "impossible", though, and that's going to make the conclusion feel even more contrived than it probably would have before this. Seeing him put Tarn in his place (and vice-versa) may actually be worth that, though.

Cant see Deathsarus joining Megs and the Autobots - he and his army are still decepticons. I do see them leaving though - if he stays after what Tran did to Kaon, than that really doesn't follow through on a key point of why Deathsauras left Megatron in the first place.
If he leaves, though, it really raises the question of why Deathsaurus was introduced to begin with. What narrative purpose does he serve, if he's just popping up, joining Tarn and then un-joining and disappearing into thin air again? I can't see him sticking around as part of the crew or anything like that, but I'd be surprised if his conscience didn't push him into taking up arms against Tarn before this is all over.

Also don't see Overlord being a first response as he is clearly here to kill megatron - although I did think that was an excellent idea. I get the feeling whomever rebuilt him is going to use him to weaken the transformers overall - maybe he will betray everyone and take out Deathsauras and his band. That would be a hell of a blow against any new decepticon force starting up.
Just watch, it'll turn out that Prowl was behind it. :(

To be perfectly honest, the Decepticon infighting is way more interesting than anything that the Lost Light and her former crew have gotten up to in ages. I'd almost rather this arc ends with all the Autobots dead so that the book can switch to being about the wacky adventures of Deathsaurus and Overlord, villain protagonists.

(But seriously though, I would love to read a Decepticon-focused series, even if it was just a mini, and I'm surprised IDW haven't done one yet.)

inflatable dalek
2016-04-28, 06:33 PM
(But seriously though, I would love to read a Decepticon-focused series, even if it was just a mini, and I'm surprised IDW haven't done one yet.)

*whispers*Megatron Origin*whispers*

Red Dave Prime
2016-04-28, 06:39 PM
Whats a "megatron origins"? Is it some kind of Go-bot adventure?

Patapsco
2016-04-28, 07:35 PM
Whats a "megatron origins"? Is it some kind of Go-bot adventure?

It's apparently where I called Alex Milne a "no-talent hack who should never work on Transformers comics again" according to my own personal Time Hop. Here comes the retcon!

Patapsco
2016-04-28, 08:28 PM
One more thing: I assume by how close "sunset" is that more than eight hours have passed so all those last word messages from #50 have been sent?

zigzagger
2016-04-30, 02:57 AM
Quickie notes.

I'm with Dalek on this, in that this will probably be easier to judge in retrospect. A lot happened... and a lot didn't happen.

That said, I was still entertained. As with a lot of folks, what saved this issue for me were the exchanges between Megatron, Tarn, and Overlord. The Decepticon infighting was a freaking hoot, and it was just enough for me to disregard all the contrivances and, well, derailment of the story.

I agree that the Dying of the Light proooobably could've done without Overlord, as Roberts is spinning enough plates here as it is (and I'm immediately reminded of Remain in Light), but he actually turned out to be good value.

I mean, he's as unimpressed by Tarn as I am! It's like Overlord was designed to be my own personal audience surrogate. ;)

That's what I'm going to keep telling myself.

... the book can switch to being about the wacky adventures of Deathsaurus and Overlord, villain protagonists

Oh my god, yes! Deathsaurus can be the straight man and Overlord can be the stooge or wise guy.

Patapsco
2016-04-30, 02:18 PM
I'm with Dalek on this, in that this will probably be easier to judge in retrospect. A lot happened... and a lot didn't happen.

I still think this will read better as a trade, but as a single issue story it left me cold overall. And a bad MtMtE issue is better than most comics

zigzagger
2016-05-01, 04:27 AM
Oh! One more thing...

.... and not having to resort to something like a last minute Omega Supreme appearance or what have you.

****, it's going to be Defensor, isn't it?

The Protectobots are still out there, as they never made it back to the Lost Light after Combiner Wars.

Ooooh, that would be "hilarious"!

Patapsco
2016-05-01, 08:10 AM
Oh! One more thing...

The Protectobots are still out there, as they never made it back to the Lost Light after Combiner Wars.

do you have something against the best Autobot combiner team?

Knightdramon
2016-05-01, 08:38 AM
Oh! One more thing...

I've been thinking that ever since Combiner Wars...how the Lost Light has got a functional combiner when they come back, which may or may not be during this saga.

zigzagger
2016-05-01, 04:06 PM
do you have something against the best Autobot combiner team?

Nope, only callbacks to AHM ;)

But seriously, I adore those guys. With the exception to First Aid, they've been grossly misused.

I've been thinking that ever since Combiner Wars...how the Lost Light has got a functional combiner when they come back, which may or may not be during this saga.

Well, Velocity did say that she meant to contact First Aid instead of Ratchet. Maybe she still got through to him...???

Patapsco
2016-05-01, 04:57 PM
to be fair, the Protectobots did get their own personal dance off panel and now I want a spin off issue with just the Protectobots dancing and saving lives. Like a better "Step Up" or "You Got Served" or something

Flimflammery
2016-05-07, 01:58 PM
I've finally managed to read issues 51 and 52, and I've been wondering about the Protectobots (not to mention Mirage) too - with the long time gap that has been introduced between 49 and 50 it seems very odd (and possibly suspicious) how long they're taking to get back to the Lost Light. They left ex-RiD in #44, which at that point was clearly a few weeks/months ahead of MTMTE's timeline.

Auntie Slag
2016-05-07, 09:48 PM
Drift and Ratchetís character models are really messy. That fight scene on page 2; I could barely make out what Drift was doing exactly. I much prefer his simpler pre-exile design, it felt much more his kinda thing.

Iím at a bit of a loss to the significance of the pet, Kaon went nuts when Ten Ďthockedí the turbofox-thing. Why exactly? Iím an animal lover (Oo-er), but theyíve never made a big thing of this in previous issues. And then Overlord makes a derogatory comment about it. Is Megatron similarly seen as having such a weak spot regarding his relative closeness with Ravage all these years? If so why didnít Prime and the Autobots exploit that?

I love that Overlord just turned up. Not even a full page arrival, just 80% of one. Normally such a return would be Ďfinal page of an issue shockerí. This worries me only because it feels a little like rushing major moments to accelerate the end of MTMTE.

hatís interesting is Megatron not being dead. A direct shot from Tarnís twin-fusion cannons Iíd imagine would be enough to kill anyone. So is this another reference to his black holes and hidden space in his body? (last referenced when he fought against Whirl, who lost his arm inside Megatron (double oo-er)!

Iíll stop now because thereís plenty more cool innuendo in this issue. Really glad Tenís alive. He looks surprisingly better than the last episode where he seemed nearly obliterated!

Auntie Slag
2016-05-07, 10:01 PM
And if Overlord was found and fixed, assuming he wasn't turned to utter mush in the slow cell before it got blown apart, perhaps Rewind has been too.

Which means Chromedome's going to have a hell of a time taking two Rewind's on Channel 4's 'A Place in the Sun'.

Patapsco
2016-05-07, 11:20 PM
What would be amusing is if both Rewind's decide they're better off with each other and not Chromedome. But would Roberts do that? Probably not

Auntie Slag
2016-05-09, 06:39 PM
The repartee/fight between Tarn and Overlord was lovely. Wish it was longer, and Tarn is excellent at putting Overlord in his place (loved that last page).

Have to agree with others here that this is a riotously fun episode that will get better with time. Like Tailgate said a few years ago: "Its a... its a bit full on, isn't it"?

And Megatron was pretty stellar too. I thought he was at his most interesting around the early 30's issues, probably because it was so heavy with backstory. Sticking to his guns even though it means death by Tarn.

Deathsaurus and that group feel rather wasted. Everything that's happened so far could have been entirely by the DJD, so I guess they must do something significant in the next couple of issues (are there only two more issues to this arc?).

Patapsco
2016-05-09, 08:27 PM
I believe it's a six parter, so this is the halfway part where we have moved on incrementally since the end of 50. Drift and Ratchet have turned up, as has Overlord. Kaon's dead. Bit of EPIC BANTZ, bit of punching, that's about it

Auntie Slag
2016-05-09, 09:25 PM
Well I hope they can all sit down and talk it through. Be adult about it rather than resort to names.

Patapsco
2016-05-10, 06:54 PM
Well I hope they can all sit down and talk it through. Be adult about it rather than resort to names.

hahaha, no chance. Anyway, I went back and read 50, 51 & 52 in one sitting and the whole piece reads a lot better that way. But it's still... not good

Auntie Slag
2016-05-10, 07:46 PM
I need to do that. It took me a good few goes of re-reading Remain in Light as a whole arc, thinking about it, staring wistfully at the evening sun, writing a bloated pustulating career destroying second album and then going back and giving it one more go to really feel the story.

And it was a little bit the same with Elegant Chaos, whereas Shadowplay was the bees knees from the off.

And its not the right thread to mention it, but Sins of the Wreckers issue 4. Blimey that was stonkingly good!

Patapsco
2016-05-10, 07:55 PM
Sins is interesting in that the first three issues I felt would read much better as a trade, but issue 4 was the first that worked as a stand alone issue

Auntie Slag
2016-05-10, 08:10 PM
Yes, totally agree. I think the fourth pulls up the quality of the previous three, and there's nothing really wrong with them, I can't put a solid finger on why I wasn't raving about it. But now it feels like issue 4 and 5 could elevate SotW so high.

Patapsco
2016-05-10, 08:13 PM
My main feelings on early Sins and why I wasn't feeling it was that it felt like something was happening off panel which was never addressed but was incredibly vital to the plot

Auntie Slag
2016-05-10, 08:50 PM
I guess so. There was this obliqueness about it. I love Sins' gloomy atmosphere, it reminds me so much of the second X-Files film (and I enjoyed that film, its look and feel, but probably only because of the warmth between Mulder and Scully), or Fargo.

I am enjoying the Dying of the Light, too. I think it could benefit from taking a page out of Sins' book and going for a slightly gloomier palette. Its so damn bright sometimes. Current colourist Joanna is great, but I miss Josh Burcham's more pastelly style. He really helped de-mystify a busy panel, and in this issue particularly there's some really busy panels!

Auntie Slag
2016-05-12, 08:00 PM
Just a quick, wacky thought about who Tarn really is. And its probably Roller and that's fine. But I was mooching around Wikipedia just now and check out this shot of Wheelarch:

http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/8/8e/ChaosTheory2_Wheelarch.jpg

If you imagine that in Springarm's colours, don't all the helmet details match up with all the bits on Tarn?

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8easiUjOs1qlrmz7o2_500.jpg

Megatron mentions how "You could be turned", and that's a pointer to loyal good buddy Roller, but doesn't it equally apply to loyal Lieutenant Springarm? And maybe there's further (very tenuous) evidence in that Rewind complained during Elegant Chaos that if they'd jumped there minutes earlier they could have saved Springarm and Wheelarch?

http://static.seibertron.com/images/news/gfx/1345567656_MTMTE8-2.png

And he has those pointy stick laser thingies behind his head, just like Springarm and Wheelarch, who were kind of like proto-Datsun brothers with their chunkier shoulder-mounted rocket launchers!

So maybe Tarn's head is a dead ringer for Springarm's head, whilst the rest of the body is all new with upgrades over time. Because Pax rode Springarm's body to victory/escape.

While Tesarus seems to share a similar colour scheme to Wheelarch:

http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/thumb/b/b3/Flywheels_tesarus_whos_afraid_of_the_djd.jpg/290px-Flywheels_tesarus_whos_afraid_of_the_djd.jpg

Or, perhaps wackier still, could Tarn be Proteus?

Patapsco
2016-05-12, 08:06 PM
I think a more emotional gut punch would still be Dominus but it's not going to be that because I don't think Megatron crossed paths with him or Rewind. Still Rewind is "allergic" to UV light and mnemosurgery scars only show up under UV light so someone "might" have gone in and maybe "smudged" a memory here or there. Hell, Chromedome might have "smudged" his own to cover it up

Auntie Slag
2016-05-12, 08:29 PM
Ooh, the UV light thing! Yeah, that's still got to play out. And Red needs to find out about that, too!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RJJxDEbcnTE/UJa7cXYuCNI/AAAAAAAAAHo/p9RxFbbw7CA/s640/MTMTE+10+REDS+NECK+DAYM.jpg

I wonder if Chromedome HAS ever gotten to Megatron?

Patapsco
2016-05-12, 08:51 PM
Why would someone smudge Red Alert's memories? I presume it was because he found out Overlord was on board way before he found out again

Auntie Slag
2016-05-12, 09:01 PM
Well that image of Red is from Shadowplay, about 4 million odd years before Overlord was put on The Lost Light, so he'd been tampered with for another reason. And he was working security for the fancy apartment building at the time. So either Overlord had a pad up there or someone saw a cockroach up on twelfth.

Unicron
2016-05-12, 09:04 PM
Why would someone smudge Red Alert's memories? I presume it was because he found out Overlord was on board way before he found out again

The Red Alert bit is from the flashback in Shadowplay. It's to hint he was tampered with so as to point Prowl and Domey to the fact that the Senator was a closet-Con

Patapsco
2016-05-12, 09:40 PM
Like I would go back and fact check before posting...

Auntie Slag
2016-05-19, 07:40 PM
I'm forgetting so many facts these days. I was reading a couple of back issues, and in issue 40 (and its sooo much better than I gave it credit for at the time), there's a panel at the end where Megatron has Ravage bring him one of Brainstorm's briefcases.

One interesting thing is that in the previous panel Perceptor and Rodimus are destroying every last bit of Brainstorm's time travel equipment. When Rodimus says "Is that everything?", Perceptor replies "Every last piece".

Why is Perceptor lying? Someone as fastidious as him would know whether they have burnt everything or not. Unless the briefcase has come from the alternate Lost Light.

Whatever the case, Megatron now has a briefcase. What does that mean in terms of his body having been blown apart by Tarn in the current issue, and what can he do with a single component of a time machine?

Also, I didn't attribute the narrative in the final few pages of Issue 40 as belonging to Ten, and why does he adore Minimus? Is it possible that Ten is somehow Dominus? Or linked to him in some way? You know, in the way it took Hunter to control the drone Insecticons. Tyrest could have been lying when he said the Legislators were simply acting on the orders of the law.

Red Dave Prime
2016-05-20, 06:15 AM
Would feel a massive stretch for Ten to be dominus. I always figured the briefcase was because there was an extra one from the Alt lost light incident but it wouldn't be too tricky for Ravage to get one anyway. I doubt its an issue of Perceptor lying.

And whats this with Hunter controlling Drone Insecticons?

Auntie Slag
2016-05-20, 10:24 AM
And whats this with Hunter controlling Drone Insecticons?

Ah yeah, I was referring to the 'All Hail Megatron' story that predates MTMTE, sorry!

Patapsco
2016-05-20, 11:08 AM
I don't think he was controlling the drones. He was hooked into a machine and used to hack the Autobot network as I remember, though it's midday, I'm hungover and it's All Hail Megatron

Auntie Slag
2016-05-20, 11:21 AM
Ok then a more fair example would be The Machination using Sunstreaker to control the Sunstreaker clones. I remember there's a bit in Escalation or Devastation where Sunstreaker specifically says this to Hunter. It's a bit ambiguous whether he was controlling them directly, but Sunstreaker does say something like: "They're making me do things... hurt my friends" etc.

So I was kind of imagining something similar with Tyrest doing brain manipulation stuff on Dominus. If only Ratchet, First Aid or Lotty can find a way to make Ten articulate his thoughts properly they may find they've got a incredibly smart ally whose not psychologically messed up like the rest of them!