PDA

View Full Version : Natgeo Wild

dura
2016-05-07, 03:55 AM
Why is it okay to pit bugs against each other but we get up in arms about dog-fighting rings?

Sades
2016-05-07, 04:18 AM
It isn't okay, but the main reason no one really GAF is because bugs aren't as cuddly as dogs.

MY TURN!

Why is a raven like a writingdesk?

dura
2016-05-07, 04:41 AM
Who would win in a fight between a lion and a tiger?

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-07, 10:12 AM
Would you rather fight a hundred duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck?

Denyer
2016-05-07, 12:38 PM
Finally got around to googling that line in The Song Formally Known As;

http://www.caninest.com/white-dog-poop/

Or maybe this is the real answer;

http://sthelenscelebritynews.co.uk/fears-grow-over-white-dog-shit-abuse/

dura
2016-05-08, 03:30 AM
Why do we stand by and allow infanticide to go on in the Big Cat kingdom.

Or an army of ants to invade a termite mound, get to the Queen, and tear her to pieces?

Skyquake87
2016-05-08, 08:59 PM
um, well, we're a bit big to fit into a termite mound to do anything about that one...

...and, um, nature. So survival of the fittest / territory/ food concerns.

The point with conservation and protection of species is to ensure they have a place/ space to live and survive, not to stop a particular creature doing what it would have done in the wild.

dura
2016-05-08, 09:06 PM
Natgeo Wild films the ants invading the different layers of the termite mound and the actual carnage occurring. I think they could spray the ants before they get to the Queen. They film the Queen termite getting ripped apart to shreds just to get ratings. They know exactly what is going to happen and they let it happen because they want to make a movie.

A mother lion will abandon her baby lion who got his leg or hip broken. Imagine if we did that? Why doesn't Natgeo Wild take that baby lion to the animal hospital to get it fixed?

Sades
2016-05-09, 08:29 AM
The ants are gonna do it anyway, why not film it?

People abandon babies all the time... That cub could become food for something else. Maybe that something else is a starving Hyena cub that would have died otherwise. Or a poor, thin, starving Vulture. won't somebody think of the Vultures?

dura
2016-05-09, 05:21 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QVJ6lzEIUmo&autoplay=1
This is wrong.

Skyquake87
2016-05-09, 06:45 PM
You're approaching that from a human perspective though, whereby we've evolved to do science and medicine and fix ourselves. Although historically, this didn't apply to every strata of society - and still doesn't depending on where you are in the world and what your local healthcare system is like.

It may seem 'wrong', but that Lioness (its definitely not a loin - that's a cut of meat) is being purely practical and pragmatic. She stays to look after him, she puts them both at risk from predators (and any other cubs she may have too). Plus, how would you ensure the cub's survival in the long run - it is crippled to the point where it can't fend for itself. Its not like she can pop it in a wheelchair and cart it around the outback. whilst on benefits.

You could argue that with medicine, we humans have over-extended and propagated beyond our natural limits to the extent the planet is in the mess it is now. Although global birth rates have started to decline, so some brakes in nature seem to exist.

Sades
2016-05-09, 10:46 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QVJ6lzEIUmo&autoplay=1
This is wrong.

Well, it's helped keep them going for around a million years so it can't be all wrong. That editing/voiceover to appeal on an emotional level is another matter, but it's needed to capture the attention/imagination of the everyday casual TV watcher, I guess.

dura
2016-05-09, 11:20 PM
Orcas can easily kill Great White sharks, yet they haven't been around as long as the sharks, which pre-date dinosaurs.

Sades
2016-05-09, 11:39 PM
Killer Whales be crazy smart, yo. Sharks are, too. I prefer the sharks tbh, but only by a bit.

Technically dinosaurs are still here so I wouldn't call that race finished yet. We've got a couple (of the Sandhill Crane variety) that I believe are nesting by the pond to the north of our house, I watched them display to frighten a Fox earlier... they were spreading their wings, fluffing their feathers, pecking the ground, throwing sticks, all of that. It was pretty damn cool.

dura
2016-05-10, 04:04 AM
This is wrong:
https://youtu.be/KUGf-irpTMQ

Sades
2016-05-10, 05:54 AM
You should probably tell those lions that. Maybe they'll stop.

dura
2016-05-10, 04:22 PM
If you have the power of a male lion you can do anything you want. You make the rules. You don't have to listen to anyone. If you want something you can just take it.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-10, 04:27 PM
You know what's more powerful than a male lion?

A robot lion.

You know what's more powerful than a robot lion?

Five robot lions.

You know what's more powerful than five robot lions?

Five robot lions that combine to form a giant robot super warrior.

Yeah.

inflatable dalek
2016-05-10, 05:47 PM
This is why that ship should have been called Boaty McBoatface rather than being named after a man WHO WATCHES ANIMALS DIE.

Sades
2016-05-10, 11:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SIzGXQz.jpg

dura
2016-05-11, 05:33 PM
I overheard someone talking about her male dog and its mother having puppies together. Is this normal?

Skyquake87
2016-05-11, 05:51 PM
Yes. Animals have no concept of incest. And if the mother is nearest available mate, she'll do.

And now, for a couple of my favourite quotes from the mighty Preacher:

"After centuries of inbreeding, we're lucky the b******* doesn't have antennae."

"son of man or son of God, you can't f*** your sister and expect much of good of it."

dura
2016-05-11, 06:09 PM
So it's ok for spiders, bears, and other animals to kill and eat their own young for survival. Doesn't that make them worse than Jeffrey Dalmer?

Skyquake87
2016-05-11, 06:19 PM
Again, you're thinking from a purely human perspective. We have shrugged off the wild for shirts, ties, tax avoidance and shoes. Also cutlery and a worrying lack of interest in trying to save our world before its too f***ked to support any life.

"Is it ok?" Is not the right question. Besides which, you've already answered it:

for survival.

If there's nothing else around, what are you going to do as a bear or spider? You can't be all Bear Ghrylls and bob back to your hotel.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-11, 06:20 PM
You can't hold other species to your own moral standards.

Different things are different.

What year of your philosophy degree are you on, out of interest?

dura
2016-05-11, 10:56 PM
I'm a philosophy hobbyist.

We hold animals to our moral standards when we impose the death penalty on them when they eat a person or child.

Bears alway eat people and children. A pig ate a baby, so has snakes. Pit bulls kill kids often. We kill these animals in kind.

Sades
2016-05-11, 11:24 PM
Isn't that more a practical thing, though? At that point they've become a danger. The same has been done with bears that start eating human garbage, due to the fact that that means they lose their fear of people and seek them out.

dura
2016-05-12, 12:37 AM
If animals are for practical purposes then why is bestiality considered animal cruelty?

Sades
2016-05-12, 01:14 AM
I'm not sure where you got the "animals are for practical purposes" from, unless you've misinterpreted what I said.

Perhaps "practical" was the wrong word, anyway. Precautionary. Even then, there are exceptions (ie Tilikum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilikum_%28orca%29) has killed three people).

dura
2016-05-12, 02:34 AM
Why is this wrong?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/7144154/Woman-to-stand-trial-after-police-found-video-of-her-having-sex-with-a-pitbull-dog-on-her-mobile-after-suspecting-her-of-drug-dealing.html

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-12, 07:41 AM
Why is the Sun wrong?

Oof. Don't think I've got enough time, tbh.

dura
2016-05-12, 03:59 PM
Female mantises bite off the head of the male during mating. Why?

slartibartfast
2016-05-12, 04:21 PM
Christ, it's like taking a Turing test...

inflatable dalek
2016-05-12, 04:28 PM
Female mantises bite off the head of the male during mating. Why?

Well, that's women for you.

AM I RIGHT GUYS?

Guys?

dura
2016-05-12, 04:32 PM
Some species of spiders, the male will break off his penis and leave it inside the female as a plug. Researchers believe this increases the males aggression so that he can fight off other male spiders who try to mate with her.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-12, 05:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnE3uyj9Grg

Denyer
2016-05-12, 06:15 PM
Love the Turtles one they did.

Sades
2016-05-12, 06:25 PM
Snickering in a quiet classroom makes me self conscious.

dura
2016-05-12, 07:11 PM
Even After Mating, the Female can Toss Your Genetic Code to the Wind

Female crickets can hold onto the sperm from multiple male partners. Imagine your hypothetical mate keeping the genetic information from their last nine partners along with them at all times, and then deciding to pick some genes from ten years ago to spawn her child? That's insane. Seriously, I question my sanity for writing that line. Back to crickets. The female cricket, settling down after a polyamorous run about, then chooses which sperm to use to create a future generation of crickets. The amount of sperm stored by the female can be changed by movements in their abdominal muscles, with the goal of storage being to diversify the population by selecting for unrelated crickets. Female crickets, however, will still gladly mate with related crickets.

Sades
2016-05-13, 02:35 AM
You must be fun at parties. Are you fun at parties?

*noisily slurps vegetable broth*

dura
2016-05-13, 03:25 AM
Honey bees are perhaps the most famous of the cock-blockers. First the young queen bee leads drones on a high-speed chase; only the fastest get a chance to mate and die. In a mid-air mating, the male honey bee’s penis explodes with ejaculation, and the eviscerated male falls from the sky to die alone in the shrubbery.

Sades
2016-05-13, 03:40 AM
Are you mentally ill? Serious question.

dura
2016-05-13, 04:09 AM
Male bed bugs take part in a rare and brutal form of insect mating called “traumatic insemination.” They mate by stabbing their saber-like penis through the abdomen of females and inseminating directly into her body cavity. There isn’t some easily explained evolutionary reason for this horror on the female bed bug’s end – actually, it’s the opposite. Females often suffer from this form of mating, and can die from wounds and potential infections. Traumatic insemination in bed bugs is, according to Cornell biologists Alastair Stutt and Michael Sive-Jothy, “a coercive male copulatory strategy that results in a sexual conflict of interests.”

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-13, 07:48 AM
It's like Tramp found the Discovery Channel.

dura
2016-05-13, 04:01 PM
Is this animal cruelty?
http://www.inquisitr.com/2397337/epic-battle-between-scorpion-and-black-widow-ends-in-death-animal-activists-claim-abuse-video/

inflatable dalek
2016-05-13, 04:06 PM
Mod Hat On:

Dura, just because your lack of engagement with other posters and the fact it's looking like you're doing a lot of cut and pasting from wikipedia is starting to look odd, could you just make your next post in this thread say "I am not a spam bot" please?

Sades
2016-05-13, 08:52 PM
And io9, Livescience, Wired, etc. It's getting a bit old.

Seriously though, how old are you?

dura
2016-05-13, 11:38 PM
Over 40.

dura
2016-05-18, 04:52 PM
What is cancer? I know it effect all members of the animal kingdom?

Skyquake87
2016-05-18, 06:31 PM
Put simply, where cells reproduce uncontrollably within a particular part of an organism.

dura
2016-05-18, 07:21 PM
What is the physical manifestation of cancer? Is it really all that bad?

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-18, 07:23 PM
What is the physical manifestation of cancer? Is it really all that bad?

Anything between a lump that needs removing and uncontrollable crippling death, usually.

dura
2016-05-18, 07:38 PM
I've seen the same thing happen after surgery, removing over half the stomach ~60% because an X-Ray said it was the precursor to cancer.

Uncontrollable, crippling death followed even though the supposed pre-cancerous area was removed.

It seems like the treatment is far worse than cancer could ever be.

inflatable dalek
2016-05-18, 07:49 PM
Elephants have very low rates of cancer.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-18, 07:54 PM
Uncontrollable, crippling death followed even though the supposed pre-cancerous area was removed.

Yeah well death comes to everything eventually. People who've just had over half their stomach removed, probably a bit more at risk. Not all cancer affects the stomach and there are multiple treatments available depending on the location, stage and how far it's spread.

dura
2016-05-18, 11:06 PM
Is cancer worse than HIV?

Is cancer worse than taking out over half of ones stomach, or cutting off your breasts?

How bad is cancer really? Doesn't surgery do more damage?

Steve Jobs did not die of cancer. He died of pancreatic surgery. Maybe if he just left it alone he would have lived longer.

Maybe if people would just live with the cancer they would live longer, instead of letting doctors take knives and cut them up. That's the real tragedy.

dura
2016-05-19, 03:10 AM
Here's an example:

ta2rF6Syi0U

What happens when the queen dies? Who replaces her?

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-19, 08:06 AM
Maybe if people would just live with the cancer they would live longer, instead of letting doctors take knives and cut them up. That's the real tragedy.

The real tragedy here is your spectacularly ill-informed opinions.

Cancer spreads to other parts of the body. The lungs, the brain, places like that. These are called secondary tumours. They're a bit like spores floating on the wind, except it's little shards of death floating through your body rather than seeds drifting on the wind. Secondary tumours are incredibly difficult to remove, solely because there are so many of them - they hide, they land in places you don't know they've landed. Because, y'know, seeds on the wind.

You can remove a primary tumour before it starts spreading and eliminate the problem before it starts, at the cost of a piece of yourself. OR you can leave it, let it spread and die in agony, a shadow of yourself, making your friends and family watch. Or maybe go through some form of chemotherapy or radiotherapy in the hope of killing it all of without damaging your own immune system along the way.

The surgery to remove the affected tissue is generally elective. That means the patient has a choice. Sure, there can be complications. All medical procedures have a risk to them. It doesn't mean you get to be a judgemental prick about people doing what they think best to save their own life.

As far as I care you're one step away from preaching homeopathy.

Sades
2016-05-19, 09:05 AM
Yeah, but who's going to listen to him?

He's just going to ignore your post, anyway. Waste of energy.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-19, 09:06 AM
Yeah, but it helps to say it.

He'll probably start on about some anti-vaccination bullshit next.

Sades
2016-05-19, 09:15 AM
Well, now he probably will. Come on.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-19, 02:27 PM
I hope he does, as it'll help establish exactly what flavour of moron we're dealing with and I can carry on without any regret.

dura
2016-05-19, 03:42 PM
If someone is over 70 years of age they should not be removing over half their stomach of so-called "precursor" to cancer, not cancer. A doctor who recommends such a surgery is trying to make money.

Cancer does not progress that fast in old people. Old people will outlive the cancer.

If you're over 70 and you have stage 0, not even stage 0 but so called precursor to cancer, and your doctor wants to remove 60% of your stomach, he's just trying to make bank.

If you're over 70, you'll outlive the cancer because it progresses very slowly when you're old. Just leave it alone and live your life. You'll die of old age before you'll die of cancer.

The catastrophic scenario you're describing applies to young people or middle-aged where cancer progression is faster in kids.

An old person who has 60% of his stomach removed is doing in an hour what it would have taken the cancer 20-30 years to do.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-05-19, 03:45 PM
Well you didn't say anything about over 70s, so it's a bit late to be forcing that into the discussion now to try and justify your shit opinions.

Oh just **** off.

dura
2016-05-19, 04:47 PM
Cancer surgery is for young animals:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7bmQ/st-jude-childrens-research-hospital-fighting-cancer

Say no to Medicare fraud.

Sades
2016-05-19, 05:17 PM
dura: Incoming PM. Thread closed, please do not start another unless there's going to be some actual give-and-take, non-incendiary conversation in it (outside of the timeframe set in the PM).