PDA

View Full Version : Movie thread, or; what movie did you watch last?

Tetsuro
2016-11-10, 07:57 AM
I know there's that DVD thread but that doesn't mean you've just watched them too. You might've watched a movie you got ages ago, or maybe just something on netflix.

I've been sitting through the Puppet Master films because I discovered it has ten sequels and I can't help but feel attracted to terrible horror sequels. Unfortunately, I'm only up to part 3 so far and none of them have been terrible, apart from the obviously low budget, although the stop motion sequences are miles better than the one in The Basket Case. The worst they can do is inconsistency about the nature of the guy who actually created them; in the first movie he's fleeing from the nazis and commits suicide before they get to him; in the second movie the puppets raise him from the dead and he becomes the villain and kills people, but the third movie makes him sorta the good guy again by taking place in nazi Germany and using his puppets to kill nazis.

I also watched Conan the Destroyer. I discussed the movie with someone, namely how the hall of mirrors scene has stuck with me since childhood when I guess my siblings had rented it or something and managed to catch that little of the film (I wasn't supposed to see it), and they called it a quintessential D&D scene; it got me thinking, this movie is probably a better D&D movie than, well, Dungeons & Dragons.

Auntie Slag
2016-11-10, 07:07 PM
Mousehunt. I haven't seen it for about 12 years, but its still great. Very Tom & Jerry-style. Nathan Lane is superb, funnier than Lee Evans I think, and the film has a great look to it.

Skyquake87
2016-11-11, 08:47 PM
I watched Aliens the other night. I must have watched it a billion times, but if its on the telly and I do find myself watching it. Still love it.

Quite often watch some guff on the horror channel. Saw a weird one about a plastic surgeon who sewed up a girls bits and removed her nipples so she could look like barbie. One of the Hostels, which I didn't make it past 40 minutes because it was just sh*te. Set in some weird club where they cut people up for the amusement of rich folk.

Tetsuro
2016-11-12, 09:18 AM
I did not expect Robert Vaughn to kick the bucket this week, so it did not factor into my decision at all to re-watch all the Superman movies (although I may have to watch 3 sooner than I thought because of it), but I did watch Superman II the other day, and seeing it for the umpteenth time did make me realize how different it actually is from the first film, directorially.

IIRC only about 20% of the film is from before they sacked Richard Donner? The rest of it definitely feels more like the movie that followed it, in the way many of the shots are staged and lit, while clearly still having greater production values. It's especially obvious in the big city fight, which still holds up well to this day. Saying CGI isn't as good as practical effects may be a tired old horse, but some of the shots - like the one where Non gets punted through a high-rise building, and we get to see it from an indoor perspective - really do make me wonder how they accomplished the effect. With CGI, the answer would be fairly obvious.

Auntie Slag
2016-11-13, 09:26 AM
The Opposite of Sex: Black comedy drama thing with Christina Ricci, Phoebe from Friends, Leonard from The Big Bang Theory and Lyle Lovett (Julia Roberts first husband).

It came out in 1998, it was brilliant then and still is now. Probably sank without trace at the box office because of stellar hits like Lost In Space, Armageddon and Species II were out.

That and its a bit of a cantankerous sort of film, but well worth watching.

Heinrad
2016-11-13, 01:27 PM
Robert Vaughn died? That sucks.

Given the way they were filming Superman and Superman II, Donner had filmed enough footage to have the second movie a little over half done before the Salkinds, figuring that Warner Bros. was going to have them shot if they didn't get a film out, told him to get an edit of Superman done and then he could finish Superman II. Apparently the turning back time ending was supposed to be for the second movie, as Zod and Co. had pretty much wrecked everything.

They then fired Donner and brought in Richard Lester to finish Superman II, having him refilm certain scenes so that he would have directed 51% of the movie and therefore could claim credit for the whole thing. Although no matter what happened, the odds were good Jor-El wouldn't have been in it even if Donner hadn't been sacked. Brando saw how much money Superman was making and wanted to renegotiate his contract.

They found all of the Donner footage in a vault in England somewhere, and Donner was able to finally do his version of Superman II. It's more even, tone wise, but also a bit jarring in spots. The honeymoon suite scene is done using audition footage.

I watched the first Puppet Master movie over Halloween, and it was pretty good, if low budget. In fact, I watched a lot of Full Moon Studios stuff over Halloween. Dollman is excellent, and HIDEOUS! is a lot of fun.

Tetsuro
2016-11-13, 01:43 PM
They found all of the Donner footage in a vault in England somewhere, and Donner was able to finally do his version of Superman II. It's more even, tone wise, but also a bit jarring in spots. The honeymoon suite scene is done using audition footage.
My biggest issue with the Donner cut is that it basically exists in it's own universe; that is, one where the first movie had a different ending, leading into a much smoother transition to the second. Such as it is, the time-reversing ending in the Donner cut comes off too much as a "here we go again" type of thing.

I think in the end, the Lester version will remain the film everybody remembers. Speaking of alternate versions, what bums me about Superman IV isn't so much the fact that Warner or nobody else bothered to try making a proper "extended cut" of the film, with the proto-Nuclear Man and all, but the fact that the video release in Europe contained additional scenes which aren't on the DVD or blu-ray, namely the tornado and the Red Square; we only get them in the deleted scenes gallery. It'd be nice to at least see some kind of fan-made cuts of 3 and 4, but Warner made sure to nip that one at the bud by only including fullscreen versions of them - and a lot of the "deleted" scenes on the S3 disc are less like deleted scenes and more like outtakes.

Heinrad
2016-11-15, 04:19 AM
I'd love to know what the original ending for Superman would have been. Although I get the impression Donner isn't sure what it would have been, either. Don't get me wrong, what happened was pretty sucky, but I can see why the Salkinds were getting worried.

I've never seen all of Superman IV.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-11-15, 09:16 AM
Saw Arrival the other day. I thought it was really good if you've not seen Interstellar, Contact or more than three episodes of the Twilight Zone.

Sound mixing was top though.

Skyquake87
2016-11-15, 07:12 PM
I watched the Neon Demon which I also bought... which thread to use?!!

I liked Drive, so was hoping for more monosyallabic weirdness with a nice thumping synth score. And this is definitely weird. I liked it! A film you experience, rather than make much sense of. Something about beauty and blah, I dunno. Once it got murdery and strange, that message gets kind of lost.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-11-15, 07:17 PM
Neon Demon was great. That and The Nice Guys are probably my top two films of the year.

Going into a Refn film expecting it to be anything like a previous one is folly. FOLLY.

Skyquake87
2016-11-15, 07:20 PM
Oh, I didn't expect it to be the same. I loved Drive and was keen to see this. Really want the score now *trots off to a well known online retailer out of laziness*

TRIANGLES IN THE DARK!!! OOOOOH

Brendocon 2.0
2016-11-15, 07:21 PM
His scores are always awesome. You seen Only God Forgives at all?

Skyquake87
2016-11-15, 07:25 PM
No! Drive was the first of is I saw. Whats OGF about? Or is that a silly question?

Brendocon 2.0
2016-11-15, 07:27 PM
It's sort of a cop/mobster revenge drama. It's... an experience. Definitely recommend watching it, though can't vouch for whether you'll enjoy it at all.

Skyquake87
2016-11-15, 07:28 PM
I watch lots of things I'm never sure I'll enjoy, so I'll have a punt. Thanks!

Skyquake87
2016-11-15, 07:35 PM
And bought. For 1.27. Hooray!

Cyberstrike nTo
2016-11-16, 01:10 PM
V for Vendetta because it's a fun movie and I needed something to cheer me up.

Heinrad
2016-11-17, 12:45 AM
Star Trek Beyond because I needed to renew my hope for the future.

And I got Star Trek Beyond.

Sades
2016-11-18, 04:48 AM
Watched Finding Dory with the small one this eve. Very good film, it was a little predictable but enjoyable. OMG BABY DORY IS SO SQUISHY. I <3 Hank.

inflatable dalek
2016-11-18, 10:42 AM
THIS IS BOTH A DVD AND A FILM WHICH THREAD DOES IT GO IN!!!???

Hmm. Soylent Green. The ending is much more subdued than you'd expect from all the spoofs (Chuck is bleeding to death so there's no overthrowing of tables and running about), but it's still a good solid little environmental thriller. And set bang in the middle of Trump's second term as well, so more prophetic than it might seem.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-12-02, 03:14 PM
Watched the live action Lundgren/Langella MotU movie this week. Cheesy fun, even if the ending is a half-arsed rush job. Okay they spent the entire action budget on sets and costumes, but holy **** they went all out on the sets and costumes. It's tonally massively removed from the cartoon, but at least they didn't make it into a shit comedy.

Langella is clearly having an absolute ball. It's a shame Lundgren decided to base his performance on the toy though.

My brain did collapse in a little bit when Skeletor screamed "and you no longer exist" about ten years before DiTillio & Forward would recycle the line for Beast Wars. This movie is not written by DiTillio or Forward, though it was a bit surreal given their connection to both franchises.

inflatable dalek
2016-12-02, 03:18 PM
It looks surprisingly good on blu ray. It just shows what you can do with no money if everyone involved is determined to fully throw themselves into it (I'm sure Dolph is at least trying).

And Langella is fantastic, I genuinely think it's one of the great kids film's villains performances and it so deserves to be in a better known film. Meg Foster is great as well.

I'm not sure why Mr. Strickland changed his name and became a cop though.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-12-02, 03:25 PM
Yeah, Foster's great in it too. It's nice that everyone involved took it seriously. I was concerned with how badly it would have aged given I've not seen it since probably about 1989, but it stands up fairly well.

Still bizarre how far removed it is from the source in terms of style. She-Ra only aired its last episode eight months before this was released. At least Bay waited about 20 years before doing his "grown up" take on Transformers.

Wasn't aware it was out on blu ray. It aired at a local film festival this year where one of the selling points was films that don't have HD transfers. Though my DVD copy looked fine on its own (bad inkjet-quality sleeve aside), so it must just be a good quality original print.

inflatable dalek
2016-12-02, 03:31 PM
Not in this country sadly, but I have the German blu. I think there's an American one as well with the surprisingly fun DVD director's commentary, but that was a tad expensive.

When talking about it on twitter when I watched it people mentioned a lot of the differences were down to Canon having bought the rights before the cartoon and thus only owning stuff from the original toy pack in stuff (so no Prince Adam for example). Of course, things like Orko are presumably down to the budget, creating a new midget character was probably easier than using a flying rig all the time. though it's a perhanps surprising sign of fidelity they didn't just call the new guy Orko anyway.

Oh, and fun fact, because Michael Westmore did the makeup for both, the Skeletor costume is in several episodes of Star Trek as one of Worf's holodeck monsters.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-12-02, 03:46 PM
When talking about it on twitter when I watched it people mentioned a lot of the differences were down to Canon having bought the rights before the cartoon and thus only owning stuff from the original toy pack in stuff (so no Prince Adam for example).

That's plausible. Though fair play for doing their own [Kirby-esque] thing with it rather than trying to ape something they've only got part of the rights for. It's nice that they leaned more into the sci-fi aspect than the swords/sorcery setting - probably easier to do with practical effects.

And yeah I did read somewhere that Gwildor was a sub for Orko because they couldn't do a floating character. There's some scenes with people flying about on sky sleds but it looks really cheap and it's only literally a couple of shots. The logistics of having one of the primary cast done in that style would have just been impractical.

Tetsuro
2016-12-02, 04:56 PM
Watched the extended cut of Rambo (2008). If it wasn't for the gratuitous use of CGI gore, I could easily say it's more brutal than Cannibal Holocaust, what with the impaling of small children, people exploding left and right, and all the casual bloodshed - just, without any real animal deaths.

Either way, it was still a lot better than Rambo III.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-12-15, 11:23 PM
Just saw Rogue One. It's definitely in the top 5 Star Wars movies.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-12-23, 12:57 PM
So Passengers is in no way what the trailers made it out to be

Instead of being the story of two people who wake up early on a space flight, it's the story of one guy who wakes up early on a space flight, then spends months fantasising about one of the sleeping female passengers before deciding to wake her up so he's got some company. Despite knowing that they'll both die before they reach their planned destination.

So essentially it's about a guy who stalks a woman he's never actually met, before deciding to kill her.

Of course this might not be quite so bad if not for the fact that she ends up forgiving him and they both live happily ever after. Because stalkers need absolution too.

So, y'know, that's a thing...

Tetsuro
2016-12-23, 04:15 PM
That sounds almost as bad as the Lifetime Christmas movie Nostalgia Critic and Cinema Snob reviewed earlier this week.

That one had the stalker's victim not only already dating somebody, but said somebody was easily the most reasonable person in the film while the movie tried so damn hard to make them unlikeable while ultimately coming off as little more than mild acts of pettiness and bitchiness. Totally worth dumping them for and hooking up with the stalker!

inflatable dalek
2016-12-23, 04:19 PM
But isn't love just two stalkers that have picked each other as a victim?

Tetsuro
2016-12-23, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't know. Love is a strange and confusing concept to me so of course romantic subplots just fill me with rage.

Scotimus Prime
2017-03-02, 04:52 PM
Went to see Logan today, it was fantastic & well worth seeing

Blitzwing
2017-03-02, 08:11 PM
I saw Get Out a couple nights ago, it was great, and I'm not even a horror movie fan. It had a perfect mix of suspense, drama and comedy. I'd highly recommend it.

Auntie Slag
2017-03-03, 11:47 AM
The original Rocky, because a few months ago I bought Rocky Balboa and its quite a cool film, Rock's a really nice guy.

The original is good too, but its quite slow paced. It feels much like the original Star Wars films compared to the prequels which are all lots of colours and movement, wacky characters and boring dialogue.

So yeah, last week I bought Rocky I, II and III. Watched the first one so far, I've always wanted to see Rocky V (I know its usually the most hated of the lot), but I liked the premise behind it. I like watching these films because I haven't seen them since the mid-80's probably, and apart from the famous ending I felt like I'd never watched the original before.

Blitzwing
2017-03-03, 05:11 PM
I've always been a fan of the Rocky franchise, the first one stands out as it's more of a character piece about Rocky than it is about boxing. It also sets the tone well for making it seem ridiculous that Rocky would even stand a chance of lasting more than a couple rounds against Apollo.

The most recent Creed movie was a great revival for the franchise, I'm curious to see how it will do once Stallone is no longer in the picture.

My rankings for Rocky movies are:
Rocky III
Creed
Rocky
Rocky II
Rocky IV
Rocky Balboa
Rocky V

Scotimus Prime
2017-03-04, 10:02 AM
I can't believe that noone else on here hasn't seen Logan yet!

Skyquake87
2017-03-05, 09:42 PM
I can't believe it's not butter.

Watched the two Burton Batman flicks over the weekend. The Nolan stuff is cool and all, but these are still my favourite cinematic version of Bats (closely followed by Lego Batman). Burton just nails everything that's ace and weird about the Batman comics. I love how Gotham looks miserable even in the daytime too! I spent a lot of time marveling at the production design this time through. He's eerie fairy tale look was a good fit for Batman.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-03-06, 12:10 PM
I can't believe that noone else on here hasn't seen Logan yet!

So you're assuming that everyone here has seen it? My head hurts.

Any chance you can ditch the 15 line sig when posting a one-line comment btw?

inflatable dalek
2017-03-06, 02:32 PM
I have seen Logan! Feel bad for not liking it as much as everyone else as it does try very hard and Jackman and Stewart are both brilliant (everyone who isn't Richard E. Grant is good--his problem is more he's given nothing to work with,--it's just they raise things to a whole new level when onscreen).

But it's a needlessly long film. You can't really create drama out of whether Logan will Do The Right Thing after ample evidence of him Doing The Right Thing nearly every time across the series. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but the last hour and a half is not him fishing off a boat. If they'd minimised that (which goes on almost to the end) you'd have had a shorter film with more characters left alive at the end.

Also a very cynical film. Really not sure what the point of rebooting everything with Days of Future Past and ressuecting everyone was when two movies later the starting premise is The X-Men get killed off offscreen between films.

I think it's impact as an intended grand finale also suffers from knowing the current X-films are set earlier. Jackman could presumably show up in any and all of them if they threw enough money at him.

And the villains are terrible. The henchman is the best developed out of the three. The Surprise Baddy (though a marvellous WTF moment when they first appear) is mute and doesn't feel that tough, and Grant as mentioned has has nothing.

That all sounds more negative than it felt...but yeah, for me personally not anywhere up to its reputation.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-03-06, 02:46 PM
I think it's impact as an intended grand finale also suffers from knowing the current X-films are set earlier. Jackman could presumably show up in any and all of them if they threw enough money at him.

Its intent is a "last Wolverine" film, rather than as an X-Men finale. The current X-movies are still in the timeline before Wolverine joins the team, and if Jackman's done with the role it makes sense to give a sense of closure.

I'm a big fan of them going "look, the superhero attempts at this have been rubbish, let's just do a western about a retired gunfighter who thinks he's left it all behind but his past catches up to him... but it just so happens he's a superhero instead of a gunfighter".

And the villains are terrible. The henchman is the best developed out of the three. The Surprise Baddy (though a marvellous WTF moment when they first appear) is mute and doesn't feel that tough, and Grant as mentioned has has nothing.

It's a good thing you've not seen Apocalypse. The post-credits scene acts as set-up for this movie in a way that would completely misled you. It explains where they get Wolverine's blood (which you don't really need to know), but in a manner that invokes the name of Nathaniel Essex, so when Richard E Grant isn't actually Mr Sinister it's an even bigger swerve.

I mean crowbarring the character of Sinister into this would have been Bad, but if you felt disappointed by the situation as is, imagine adding that to proceedings.

As far as the underwhelmingness you've got from it goes... I feel that might be sort of the point. The big depressing underwhelming "nothing's as spectacular as you'd expect it to be... life's just a bit shit" vibe is a common theme in westerns. The "oh, is that it?" vibe adds a bit more realism to proceedings.

I think it is a Good Film. But I hated Shane with a fiery passion (mostly because of the kid) so it loses points for reminding me that was a thing.

Blitzwing
2017-03-06, 07:28 PM
I can't believe it's not butter.

Watched the two Burton Batman flicks over the weekend. The Nolan stuff is cool and all, but these are still my favourite cinematic version of Bats (closely followed by Lego Batman). Burton just nails everything that's ace and weird about the Batman comics. I love how Gotham looks miserable even in the daytime too! I spent a lot of time marveling at the production design this time through. He's eerie fairy tale look was a good fit for Batman.

I love the Burton/Keaton Batman movies also. It's a shame that they seem to be lumped in with Batman Forever and Batman & Robin when the director and star of the earlier two had nothing to do with the later two.

The Nolan stuff was great when it was new, but I feel that they have not aged well. Ledger's Joker is possibly the only part of the Nolan trilogy that I still would want to watch again. The Burton films, on the other hand, still hold up to this day.

Skyquake87
2017-03-06, 08:32 PM
The Nolan films are slightly undone for me by Bale's silly ROAR I ARE BATMAN voice. Keaton does the rough voice thing, much better :)

Scotimus Prime
2017-03-07, 10:55 AM
Funny noone has mentioned Affleck's portrayal of Batman! seeing as someone is running through the various Batmen? & tbh we still dunno if he'll stay on or not as the Caped Crusader in The Batman film or not at this point in time, with all the fiasco that's going on.

Oh & Brendocon....if you don't like my sig....then don't read/look at it!

Brendocon 2.0
2017-03-07, 11:35 AM
Oh & Brendocon....if you don't like my sig....then don't read/look at it!

Difficult when it fills up half the screen.

ganon578
2017-03-07, 03:47 PM
Went to the theater with the kids last week and checked out the Lego Batman Movie. Pretty damn good flick! Really funny, and also very grounded in Batman being... well, Batman. Kids liked it too, and that movie is stuffed full of one-liners!

Also watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows on Blu-ray the other week. I can see why critics gave it a hard time, but honestly it was an enjoyable 2-hour-ish romp. The absurdity of it all made it fun, and there was enough goofy comedy in there without being cheesy. Pretty glad I had picked it up for 10 bucks on sale.

wallapopstar
2017-03-07, 03:52 PM
Ah Ah AH.... indeed just have to try to not look at it :) :)

Scotimus Prime
2017-03-07, 05:10 PM
https://anupturnedsoul.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/samuel-l-jackson-pulp-fiction.jpg

Skyquake87
2017-03-07, 09:22 PM
Funny noone has mentioned Affleck's portrayal of Batman! seeing as someone is running through the various Batmen? & tbh we still dunno if he'll stay on or not as the Caped Crusader in The Batman film or not at this point in time, with all the fiasco that's going on.

Only seen him in Suicide Squad, so can't comment. Man Of Steel was enough of a turn off for me to have zero interest in a Batman/ Superman punch up. Be quite interested to see how Wonder Woman turns out though, as the trailer looks decent. But then, don't all trailers....

Blitzwing
2017-03-08, 04:43 PM
I thought Affleck's Batman was the only real good part about Batman V. Superman. There were a lot of problems with that movie, but Batfleck was not one of them. I think they could do some great stuff with solo movies and maybe bring in some Bat villains that have never been on the Big Screen.

Saw Logan last night and I thought it was great. I just wish we could see more of X-23 in future films because she was my favorite part of the whole thing. I don't know how that would work with the timeline being so far in the future and the rest of the X-Films being in either the present or the past.

Tetsuro
2017-03-08, 09:28 PM
Watched Osamu Tezuka's Cleopatra last night.

It was, um, interesting.

inflatable dalek
2017-03-10, 02:23 PM
Its intent is a "last Wolverine" film, rather than as an X-Men finale. The current X-movies are still in the timeline before Wolverine joins the team, and if Jackman's done with the role it makes sense to give a sense of closure.

Mind, I'd say it really is as much of an X-Men finale as it is a Wolverine one. He's the only character/actor in all the films to date, and perhaps more importantly he's the only one to actually remember the majority (I'm not sure about Apocalypse) of the films as we saw them. Even if they carry on doing past films it's really very much the end of an era for them in a big way.

It's a good thing you've not seen Apocalypse. The post-credits scene acts as set-up for this movie in a way that would completely misled you. It explains where they get Wolverine's blood (which you don't really need to know), but in a manner that invokes the name of Nathaniel Essex, so when Richard E Grant isn't actually Mr Sinister it's an even bigger swerve.

Everyone seems to think it's a good thing not to watch Apocalypse!

I must admit I'm not familiar with Mr Sinister (though if he's a classic X-villain I must have read some comics with him in) so it probably wouldn't have made much difference.

Apparently Caliban was in Apocalypse as well, but as a very different type of character? You'd have thought they'd have learnt the lessons from the lack of cooridination between films that led to them needing to do a reset with DoFP in the first place.

I think it is a Good Film. But I hated Shane with a fiery passion (mostly because of the kid) so it loses points for reminding me that was a thing.

I think a rewatch at some point will probably help on a few things I wasn't clear on (either the sound wasn't very good on my screening or I Am Old).

I wasn't sure why Canada was seen as a safe haven (wouldn't the baddies just cross the border and carry on the pursuit as they amoral bastards? They were happy to go into Mexico after all), nor why they were trying so hard to capture X-23 alive when they only wanted to kill the kids anyway.

I was wondering if the Shane thing was down to Patrick Stewart, he's a big fan. When he directed The Next Generation's western episode he even cheerfully stole some of the shots from it.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-03-10, 03:02 PM
Mind, I'd say it really is as much of an X-Men finale as it is a Wolverine one.

Sidenote here about Logan working as a completely standalone film in a way none of the others do; divorced as it is from any real involvement with anything that came before (which isn't covered tangentially in dialogue).

He's the only character/actor in all the films to date

Pssst, he's not in Deadpool. Well, his face is, but he... look, shut up.

perhaps more importantly he's the only one to actually remember the majority (I'm not sure about Apocalypse) of the films as we saw them. Even if they carry on doing past films it's really very much the end of an era for them in a big way.

Point was that they've already backdoored the next generation of X-stuff (three movies down already, the next in production), with Jackman reduced to cameo stuff in two of them. Logan serves more as a curtain on Jackman's stuff than the era in general. If you want a grand finale for the entire franchise (as was), then Days of Future Past is it. Logan is more a coda for that specific character, and given Fox's approach to continuity then who's to say it can't be completely ignored down the line anyway.

Anyway, spoilers for Apocalypse tagged as follows, ref the "how much he remembers" question/

There's a sequence in Apocalypse where kidnapped 80s X-Kids are taken to the Weapon X facility, for no other plot reason other than so they can escape and in the process free Wolverine from his experiment-driven captivity. Jean calms him down with MIND POWER (or something, I've only seen it once and it's very boring) and he walks off mostly-nekkid into the Canadian snow.

In the post-credits sequence, somebody representing Nathaniel Essex turns up at Weapon X and grabs some vials of Wolverine's blood.

That's basically the extent of his involvement in the movie, so draw your own conclusions about how important "what he remembers" is to the overall... well, pretending Fox's X-movies have an overall plot/arc/whatever is hilarious, but let's go with story.

I wasn't sure why Canada was seen as a safe haven (wouldn't the baddies just cross the border and carry on the pursuit as they amoral bastards? They were happy to go into Mexico after all), nor why they were trying so hard to capture X-23 alive when they only wanted to kill the kids anyway.

The kids were being held in Mexico, which is where the company was based... and the pursuants are US residents. So presumably an immigration thing and once they get across to the next country then they become refugees seeking asylum rather than illegal immigrants?

Was quite muddy, could have been explained better.

I was wondering if the Shane thing was down to Patrick Stewart, he's a big fan. When he directed The Next Generation's western episode he even cheerfully stole some of the shots from it.

Tricky to say, though given the similarities in narrative and closing dialogue, I'd be surprised if its inclusion was solely because one of the supporting cast liked it. Would presume a happy coincidence until confirmed otherwise.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-03-11, 04:01 PM
Shout-out to Kong: Skull Island's credits for ending with "X, Y & Z created by [whoever]" when they've not appeared in the film, effectively spoiling its own post-credits sequence.

Scotimus Prime
2017-03-11, 07:46 PM
Aye but it's a set up for the next monster movie, before Kong fights Godzilla after that

Heinrad
2017-03-12, 11:52 PM
So I braved the bitter cold to hit the theater to see The Lego Batman Movie. And I loved it. It was a lot of fun. It was just the Ing to cheer me up in advance of the week ahead.

Scotimus Prime
2017-03-23, 07:21 PM
If any you have seen the new Power Rangers movie, maybe they'll do this for one of the future movies
https://youtu.be/Z2pAHI9F_Mo

Brendocon 2.0
2017-03-23, 08:34 PM
If anyone's not seen it yet, Get Out is fantastic.

Also saw a preview of Free Fire last week and that's great too.

Auntie Slag
2017-03-24, 08:50 AM
Human Traffic, the first DVD I ever bought. Watching it again for the first time in many years it's not as painful as I thought it would be. Pretty fast and fun, maybe more fun than originally :)

Blitzwing
2017-03-24, 04:09 PM
If anyone's not seen it yet, Get Out is fantastic.

Yeah, it's easily the best movie of 2017 so far. I wouldn't be surprised if it remains in my top 5 by the end of the year.

Tetsuro
2017-03-26, 02:33 PM
Close Encounters of the Third Kind! The original theatrical version.

I hadn't seen this movie in years since I got the Director's Cut VHS waaaay back, and it bugged me that it was missing the ending I had seen on television, and I got the blu-ray box set which has all three versions on it sometime last year from a used video store in exchange for a bunch of DVDs I took there as an experiment (turns out they're worth even less there than trying to auction them off, unless I trade them, so I grabbed this and Fight Club on blu).

Having watched it after all these years, it's obvious that my impressions of the going-ons have changed as an adult; for example, something I never thought of as a child, was the way Roy's wife running off with the kid is just a plot device to free him so he can go Wyoming. And when all the abductees are returned, they're not exactly coming back to the world they once knew.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-03-29, 08:41 AM
Pleasantly surprised by the new Power Rangers movie.

It's not what I'd describe as "good", but it's better than I expected it to be and falls safely into the category of satisfactory.

But bear in mind I'm not a MMPR fan. I watched it sporadically when it was on in the 90s, but as far as I'm concerned it was absolute garbage, so people with a proper attachment to the franchise may feel differently.

But a slow-build Chronicle-inspired superhero origin story that eventually culminates in the trademark giant robot vs giant monster fight was fine with me.

Not brilliant, but far better than it deserved.

Skyquake87
2017-03-31, 06:59 PM
I liked Mark Kermode's review of Power Rangers - 'part Breakfast Club, part kingu-fu monster film...its about halfway on the scale between Transformers, which is nonsense, and Real Steel which was good fun'. I want to see this, but will probably wait to rent it.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-04-01, 11:47 AM
Yeah I heard Kermode's take after I'd seen it and it's in roughly the same ballpark as my feelings, though I thought it was funnier than he seemed to.

The big battle does feel a little "Mission City fight" from TF2007, though the film itself lampshades that a bit.

Saw the new Ghost in the Shell last night. It's so-so. It's a live action remake of GitS, and that's pretty much it. Doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but does its job fairly well.

Blitzwing
2017-04-05, 05:44 PM
Saw Power Rangers last night. It was harmless fun, marketed to a younger audience than myself. I think I enjoyed it enough to want to watch the eventual sequel, not enough to ever sit through the whole thing again though.

Tetsuro
2017-05-07, 07:00 PM
Watching The Lost World: Jurassic Park right now.

As I'm watching it, I'm kind of realizing that not only I don't particularly like this movie, I don't think I liked it very much even as a child, and I can't really put my finger on why. Maybe it's because it's a much darker film compared to the first which was more like a theme park ride in itself. Maybe it's the character roster, like that one guy who looks like he's drunk all the time and seems to only exist to become dinosaur food.

EDIT: That really was not a very good movie. In fact, the flaws were so terrible that I felt compelled to write an IMDB review about it.

Cliffjumper
2017-05-16, 12:19 AM
The Walk. Pretty good overall; I can watch Joseph Gordon Levitt in most things and he's got the charisma. Fun format and they still managed to make the tightrope walk look awesome.

Cliffjumper
2017-05-16, 12:35 AM
Tricky to say, though given the similarities in narrative and closing dialogue, I'd be surprised if its inclusion was solely because one of the supporting cast liked it. Would presume a happy coincidence until confirmed otherwise.

Yup - more than likely that James Mangold, actual film director, can come up with a homage to a famous Western (that I've never had much time for either, but you can't argue with its' fame) that's been homaged dozens of times without the input of a guy who likely got the nod because they couldn't age McAvoy convincingly enough.

Enjoyed Logan but I can see why people didn't; it's one of those films you have to be a little sold on before going in, in terms of knowing Logan/Wolverine and seeing him as more of an icon than a film character. Liked the washed-out tone and intentional low-key feel, very Old Man Logan - that "this is going to be the bit where the claws come out and it's all 'snikt, bub', you'll see, you'll see...".

Like the Fox film series as a whole TBH; it's my guilty pleasure. The plots are idiotic and the timeline's a mess but most of them manage a couple of super set-pieces (I would happily watch 2 1/2 hours of just Quicksilver scenes) and they have this weird binary thing where each character is either a blatant suck-up to the fans or a deliberate attempt to piss them off.

Skyquake87
2017-05-16, 08:31 PM
I watched the Secret Life Of Pets - its ace! I like that this is a kids/ all ages film that just concentrates on being funny without having the usual jokes-that'll-go-over-the-heads-of kids in. Great voice cast and some really snappy animation from Dreamworks (still can't get over how real the water looks...which is an odd thingto be enthused about).

Tetsuro
2017-05-16, 11:00 PM
I wanted to rant to a friend about The Lost World being crap but hadn't seen it so we made a deal that I would watch Prometheus (which I did) and he'd watch that one so we could rant each other about them.

So, regarding Prometheus...uh...well, for a prequel that's supposed to be about answering questions, it sure raises a whole bunch of 'em without actually answering any. And it does that lovely thing where a lot of stuff just happens for no apparent reason. How did David know what the black goo would do? Why was the biologist who was so scared at first so eager to pet an alien snake? What was the point with the geologist coming back as a super-zombie? How did the captain of all characters figure out what the Engineers' site was for? Why was Weyland hidden aboard the ship and why was no one surprised to find out he was there?

And that's just the ones I can think off the top of my head.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also watched it because I'm going to see Alien: Covenant tomorrow. I sure hope that movie is going to at least bring some resolution to Prometheus' cliffhanger (but I'm not counting on it).

inflatable dalek
2017-05-17, 07:39 AM
Yup - more than likely that James Mangold, actual film director, can come up with a homage to a famous Western (that I've never had much time for either, but you can't argue with its' fame) that's been homaged dozens of times without the input of a guy who likely got the nod because they couldn't age McAvoy convincingly enough.

TBH I know almost nothing about Shane (and the clip was one of the bits where the sound wasn't great at my screening), so how it works as a metaphor for the film as a whole was entirely lost on me there.

Been slowly working through my Universal Horror boxset. The Mummy was surprisingly dull and just stopped rather than ending, but The Invisible Man was great fun. The bandages off scene was still a fine "Bugger me" moment and there were all sorts of fun tricks for the floating about stuff. The bike riding by itself feels like the sort of thing that should have been impossible in the 30's.

Kind of bummed there are now proper collections of the Frankenstein/Dracula/Wolfman/ect films out rather than this representative set though as I think I'd rather have had the complete Frankie collection and the odd one off from the other ranges (ie, Invisible Man but no Mummy. Can't imagine Phantom of the Opera being that great either). Hugely fond memories of the increasingly silly non-Karloff ones from when I was a kid.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-05-17, 01:19 PM
TBH I know almost nothing about Shane (and the clip was one of the bits where the sound wasn't great at my screening), so how it works as a metaphor for the film as a whole was entirely lost on me there.

It's basically about a gunslinger trying to escape his past who doesn't want to corrupt this kid. You can work out the metaphor part from there. ;)

Yeah, the Invisible Man is ace.

The way the Universal Monsters stuff's been collected has always been a bit annoying. I've got some of them on R2 DVD and others in the R1 DVD "Legacy" sets. Haven't bothered upgrading to Blu Ray because, until recently, there was no sensible option available which wouldn't have just replaced random discs.

Saw Alien: Covenant on Friday. It's better than Prometheus, though still not very good. Most of its problems come from being a Prometheus sequel (who'd have thunk it, right?). Pretentious and portentous and smug and heavy-handed and not anywhere near as clever as it thinks it is. Still more concerned with answering questions nobody asked than constructing a compelling story of its own.

It's watchable if you just unplug all expectations of there ever being a half-decent movie set in this universe ever again.

Though on a tangent, Ron Perlman confirmed on Twitter yesterday that Sigourney Weaver made that basketball shot in Resurrection herself in one take. Which he nearly ruined with his reaction to it.

Tetsuro
2017-05-17, 03:13 PM
Pretentious and portentous and smug and heavy-handed and not anywhere near as clever as it thinks it is.
Are talking worse than the whole subplot with the cross necklace that seemed like it was supposed to represent something but didn't work because nothing around it made sense?

Sunrunner
2017-05-24, 08:07 PM
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword.
Harmless enough fantasy film, with Jax Tellar tearing up Londinium with Excalibur. It bears no resemblance to the traditional story, could easily have been any generic fantasy character with a magic sword, but I suppose they thought the Arthur title would sell a few more tickets.
All the cockney gangster stuff felt massively out of place in dark ages Britain though.

Got me thinking, have we ever had a truly great King Arthur movie?
I can't think of one, which seems strange given the wealth of stories and legends attached to the character.

Cliffjumper
2017-05-24, 11:21 PM

Excalibur - Merlin going past 11 and up to about 74, mud, blood, battered armour, O Fortuna.

Watched Prevenge by the quietly incredible Alice Lowe. A fraction too Ben Wheatley tribute act but really there are worse mentors to follow.

Tetsuro
2017-05-25, 02:22 AM
I might think of one. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urRkGvhXc8w)

Tetsuro
2017-05-26, 06:13 AM
Might be a tad off topic, but I'm sure someone might be interested (I sure am); Kino Lorber is releasing the original theatrical cut of The Good, The Bad & The Ugly on blu-ray in the US. No idea if it'll be region locked or not, but that should be good news for someone. It's coming out in August.

Also Arrow Video in the UK has John Carpenter's "The Thing" in their possession. No word on release date, but it should hopefully based on the same source Shout! used in the US which utilized less aggressive DNR (ie. no disappearing table tennis ball).

Brendocon 2.0
2017-05-26, 09:02 AM
King Arthur was weird and boring and badly edited and really really difficult to watch because of the dull colour pallette but I've seen far worse movies this year. Weirdly the "wacky cockney banter" segments are actually the best bits, feeling like they've stumbled in from a different, better film.

I'll stick with Battlefield, tbh.

inflatable dalek
2017-05-26, 10:37 AM
For people who want to see one of the best Bond films (and have an additional two hours to kill as well), The Spy Who Loves Me is back in cinemas as a double bill with For Your Eyes Only from the 31st in the UK, US and Austrailia. With 50% of your ticket price going to UNICEF, so you'll be doing charity beyond sitting through For Your Eyes Only.

I've seen both on the big screen before (I watched For Your Eyes Only with Sir Roger Moore. I may have mentioned that), but if screenings work out locally I can see me going again.

Tetsuro
2017-05-26, 01:30 PM
Strange that they'd skip Moonraker in favour of For Your Eyes Only. Moonraker may not be a good movie either, but I'd imagine it'd lend itself better to the big screen.

Skyquake87
2017-05-26, 07:25 PM
I watched The Mask this week! Deliberately toned down from the ultra-violence of the comics, this holds up pretty well. The CGI has aged well and only the objectification of Cameron Diaz spoils the film.

Tetsuro
2017-07-07, 12:39 PM
After finishing Voyager, only one Star Trek movie remained.

I'm no long certain whether Insurrection is better than Nemesis. Nemesis was better than I remembered, but it still had a lot of dumb moments.

Skyquake87
2017-07-09, 08:20 AM
Saw The Guest last night, which was awesome. cool soundtrack too. Also watched Falling Down which is still great.

Cyberstrike nTo
2017-07-13, 04:25 PM
Behind the Planet of the Apes a documentary about the original 5 Apes movies.

Tetsuro
2017-07-14, 03:27 AM
Battle Royale! Nothing to snap me out of my bored funk like a movie about teenagers killing each other. :sick:

Tetsuro
2017-09-18, 01:19 AM
Just watched Jurassic Park 3. I have only a vague memory of when it came out, but it was definitely nowhere as "huge" as the previous two.

Ironic, then, that it's a way better movie than The Lost World. It still falls victim to the same "cannon fodder" syndrome as the second film where most of the people who are killed onscreen are barely fleshed out and you probably won't even remember their names by the time they bite the dust, but at least they're far fewer than the absolute slaughter that took place in TLW. It also doesn't have that toy commercial feel to it.

I should probably watch Jurassic World at some point, but from what I hear, it's a bit bollocks.

inflatable dalek
2017-10-05, 01:20 PM
Saw Casino Royale with the live orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall this weekend.

That's a good score, yo.

I was initially surprised when the Miami airport scene got a standing ovation, but then I was like "Yeah, that's like a really ****ing good action scene!" and joined in.

Sadly the program I bought (along with two Doctor Who graphic novels) got drenched by a leaky water bottle on the way home...

Cyberstrike nTo
2017-10-09, 10:41 PM
I watched Dragonslayer an 80s fantasy film about a socorcer's apprentice who has to battle with a dragon only he's "dead" master is the one who kill the dragon. Silly but the dragon does look cool and the final battle is awesome even if the special effect sort limited what they could do.