PDA

View Full Version : The Transformers Partwork Discussion Thread.

inflatable dalek
2017-01-03, 06:16 PM
As the formal release has started, here's the place to discuss the books as they come out alongside any and all related issues (what's coming, the gifts, when Andrew Wlidman will be back).

80 issue (to start with, extensions are possible) fortnightly series collecting as much vaguely G1 stuff as possible from Marvel issue 1 through to at least Combiner Wars with at least one exception in the Avengers Crossover.

Official Website (http://www.transformerscollection.com/)

Skyquake87
2017-01-03, 07:43 PM
I picked up the first issue out of curiosity, on the off chance I might take leave of my senses and think paying 20 a month and a total outlay of 800 for stuff I already (mostly) own would be worth it...

On the plus side - Production is generally very good. The UK stuff has been resized and works well. I liked the inclusion of the original editorial features on THE NEW LEADERS, Grimlock's movie review, the covers gallery and the backstory on Cybertron. The bits on the behind the scenes stuff were fine (although the Geoff Senior reference to working on Doctor Who before jumping to Dragon's Claws seemed a bit of a muddled reference to Death's Head). I like the idea of this being a sequential series presenting the old Marvel UK and US stuff together too. Oh! And I liked the poster!

On the downside... this does unfairly highlight how sedate some of the US material can look next to the more lively UK stuff. The reproduction of the US stuff - hardly sparkling 15 years ago with Titan - is notably poorer here. Maybe its from working from scans or the glossy paper ... but it looks very patchy and pale in places.

...all in all...I'm still not sure whether its worth replacing my Titan trades.

Ryan F
2017-01-03, 10:42 PM
I'm also subscribing to this, mostly due to the fact that I like the idea of a fully-coloured Earthforce (and also Raiders of the Last Ark), plus I've never read any of the Dreamwave stuff so I'm looking forward to seeing what that was all about. Some behind-the-scenes insight into the, erm, stranger periods of IDW history (AHM, HoD, Costa) might be cool, too.

As a subscriber of their Doctor Who books, I can certainly vouch for how lovely the matching spines will look on the shelf.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-01-03, 10:44 PM
I'm also subscribing to this, mostly due to the fact that I like the idea of a fully-coloured Earthforce (and also Raiders of the Last Ark)

This too. As much as the idea of having UK and US stuff in matching formats is great, I never picked up more than one of the Titan Earthforce books as they were tiny and I couldn't read the text properly.

inflatable dalek
2017-01-04, 09:01 PM
Furman has been doing Facebook posts about the series today (though I've only seen the first after a long day in bed after a Frankie and Benny's breakfast).

Most interesting thing to note is that ReGeneration One will immediately follow the Marvel series on the shelf so as to "Wrap it up". Which (presuming G2 will also be in there) doesn't bother me too much as I'd largely be ignoring it wherever it sat, but it might be a bit confusing to present it as the One True Follow Up to the Marvel book in a series which is presenting the UK and US stuff as one.

Also: Everything published by Dreamwave will definitely be included.

Oh, and he's mentioned a lot of issue numbers and content in both posts and replies to comments, so I'm sure some fastidious soul will go through and start putting a list together.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-01-04, 09:19 PM
but it might be a bit confusing to present it as the One True Follow Up to the Marvel book in a series which is presenting the UK and US stuff as one.

I think the continuity horse bolted the moment they decided to publish everything. There's no way to do it without confusing the people who don't already know it.

Also: Everything published by Dreamwave will definitely be included.

Any word on the stuff that was drawn but never published?

Oh, and he's mentioned a lot of issue numbers and content in both posts and replies to comments, so I'm sure some fastidious soul will go through and start putting a list together.

Has he addressed the wacky Cold Comfort & Joy placing from the trial issues?

inflatable dalek
2017-01-04, 09:31 PM
I think the continuity horse bolted the moment they decided to publish everything. There's no way to do it without confusing the people who don't already know it.

yeah, just my own personal bias there rather than a real issue with the series. One track mind!

Any word on the stuff that was drawn but never published?

Not as far as I'm aware (I'm sure Furman will include his own notes on how WWIII would have ended if nothing else).

Has he addressed the wacky Cold Comfort & Joy placing from the trial issues?

Aye, in one of the replies, straightforward page count issues, continuity light stories may be moved about a bit for space.

EDIT: Though ironically I'd say Cold Comfort is the one Christmas story that does work best in exact sequence as a Time Wars prequel.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-01-04, 10:41 PM
Aye, in one of the replies, straightforward page count issues, continuity light stories may be moved about a bit for space.

EDIT: Though ironically I'd say Cold Comfort is the one Christmas story that does work best in exact sequence as a Time Wars prequel.

Seems to defeat the object of the endeavour, but whevs. Well, beyond the object of the endeavour being for Hachette to make money off us, obvs.

The Greatest Gift you can chuck about all over the place if you feel like it. Cold Comfort is the "THERE'S A STORM COMING" prelude to teh tiem warz.

Haven't got the trial copies to hand. Was Prime even a PM in the other material in that book?

inflatable dalek
2017-01-05, 08:56 PM
Haven't got the trial copies to hand. Was Prime even a PM in the other material in that book?

Aye, it's the initial Furman US arc with PM Prime trying to do a more extreme Delbo Pose in every issue.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-01-05, 08:57 PM
Fair enough. Not as egregious as I'd initially thought, but still a little disappointing.

Saw the first issue in the window of my local newsagents today.

inflatable dalek
2017-01-06, 05:48 PM
Well I'll admit when I read Reg would be going after Marvel on the shelf, I just assumed G2 would be going elsewhere in the series.

But Andy Turnbull has told me that, according to Furman, it won't be included at all.

Which seems...odd. Possibly down to Furman I suppose, he did prevent Titan reprinting stories he wasn't keen on when he was editing them and he was disparaging about G2 when promoting Reg.

But I suspect it's more an IDW thing (as the rights holders they'd give Hachette the material and have final say on what they can and can't do). Despite reprinting bits of it in Best Of... collections and doing the Joe issues leading up to it twice they've not properly done G2 in a decade of money for old rope collections than have seen the rest of Marvel done multiple times (including pre-dating Reg, so it's not just them wanting to pimp their own continuation). For some reason they just don't seem to like it.

Shame (oh, and alright, G2 technically isn't a Generation One book as promised by the title of the series but COME ON).

Ryan F
2017-01-06, 08:38 PM
To be honest I wasn't really expecting G2 to show up here (nor the Beast Wars or Energon stuff, for that matter).

If I were IDW, and I had the rights to the G2 issues, I'd want to release a G2 trade myself first, rather than let it have its debut in the partwork. Any release by Hachette would steal the thunder away from the eventual 'proper' IDW trade.

Given that Furman now seems ok with greenlighting work he'd previously sneered at (Raiders of the Last Ark and Enemy Within were long out of print until IDW stepped in), I don't think that's the issue here.

Perhaps IDW are still trying to get the rights to the Fleetway stuff and are waiting until then to release the whole lot in a complete G2 compendium?

inflatable dalek
2017-01-11, 05:38 PM
At least one person has had their sub copies of one and two turn up today, with keyrings. Hopefully mine is just lagging a bit behind rather than then not having put the flat number on again...

Brendocon 2.0
2017-01-13, 04:38 PM
Dear Transformers The Definitive G1 Collection subscriber,

We regret to inform you that unfortunately there has been a small misprint on the spine of some copies of issue 1. This means that some people may have bought or received an incorrect copy which will not fit properly into the overall spine artwork.

Thank you to those of you who have brought this to our attention, and we sincerely apologise for the mistake.

We will be doing a full reprint of issue 1 and will automatically send all subscribers a replacement copy free of charge. You do not need to do anything at your end, and if you have already received a copy with an incorrect cover you can of course keep this as well.

We would like to thank you for your understanding and hope you continue to enjoy the series.

Best regards,
Hachette Partworks Ltd.

:swirly:

inflatable dalek
2017-01-13, 05:14 PM
That made me smile. Target must now be the most reprinted TF comic story ever surely?

Ironically part of the reason I'll now definitely be missing the Orbital signing tomorrow is that my sub copies have arrived (well, presumably, I wasn't expecting anything else) and are waiting at the post office. So I need to be back in Kiddy before they shut at 2 tomorrow or they'll be there for another week...

Brendocon 2.0
2017-01-13, 05:24 PM
That made me smile. Target must now be the most reprinted TF comic story ever surely?

Very excited by the notion of having three copies of the partwork release for a grand total of 1.99...

So I need to be back in Kiddy before they shut at 2 tomorrow or they'll be there for another week...

TWO???? My local sorting office shuts at 11 on a Saturday...

inflatable dalek
2017-01-13, 11:28 PM
When I spoke to my mother on the phone she said the card said they were open till 2 on Saturday's.

She said...

Brendocon 2.0
2017-01-14, 09:41 AM
Okay, it looks like the misprint (per mine) is that the black border around the number at the top of the spine extends down too far on #1 (or vol 6, however you want to count it).

They've also changed the artwork on the spine from the trial copies (not surprising, the trial ones seemed to just use a random example piece of the art that didn't really match up with where they should fit in the published mural).

inflatable dalek
2017-01-14, 09:49 AM
I've not seen the citation myself, but a chap on TMUK has said for non-subscribers the corrected 1 will be packed in with 7 in shops. Presumably it will come to subscribers at around the same time.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-01-14, 10:14 AM
Though to be fair they have got the ICF prints right between Target 2006 and Stormbringer this time out. Maybe the next print run will have some key pages upside down or something.

inflatable dalek
2017-01-16, 08:26 PM
Though the title page of Stormbringer still has T:'06 art behind it...

I've also spotted a mistake that (having double checked) was also on the trial version of 2 but I don't think any of us noticed: It credits the wrong artist for Spotlight Soundwave:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/status/820919158921691136

Throw in "Jazz" and "Andrew Wlidman" (corrected on the site but on the poster that comes with one) and this is a series in desperate need of better proofing as it's coming across as sloppy.

Skyquake87
2017-01-16, 09:07 PM
I picked up the second issue in the shops and got saddled with one that had some production flaws - the pages hadn't been cut properly so some corners had some oversized squares poking off them, which were helpfully stuck together as presumably the ink hadn't dried properly.

Couple of snips with some scissors and its all good. Didn't spot the credit being wrong, though, although I hadn't paid much attention to those - I just read it nicely.

I really enjoyed re-reading these stories. I haven't read these since they came out and I found them fun and I enjoyed Stormbringer a lot more than I did at the time. There's some nice world building on show. After being all curmudgeonly about these, I've ended up subscribing. The overall quality is good, despite some minor production issues and I was looking at my Titan books, and they are er, well-loved.

I'm not sure that reprinting the first issue was warranted, personally. Seems like a bit of a waste of resources, although I can see how having the spine mural mis-aligned will bother folk. I think that for 1.99, I can live with that. I was bothered about the printing mishap on Stormbringer (if only because I was worried I'd ended up tearing the pages).

Denyer
2017-01-17, 01:33 PM
Not related but a bit more mainstream coverage of TF stuff --

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/jan/17/how-we-made-transformers-comic-film-bob-budiansky-bryce-malek-interview?CMP=soc_568

Skyquake87
2017-01-17, 09:05 PM
Neat! Liked the brief write up on MTMTE/ LL and interview with Roberts.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-01-20, 02:53 PM
Any other trial subscribers got another email from Hachette asking to resupply their payment details? I've already done this once...

inflatable dalek
2017-01-20, 03:09 PM
You posted right before I was going to on this very subject!

Had the same email, and even though I've tried putting my payment details in twice (once for card, once for direct debit) they're not showing up on my subscription details online in the same way they are for the Who partwork. Or even the defunct Transformers trial.

So as I still needed to sort out the address being wrong on the packages I decided to phone them.

First, the line was terrible, to the point I had to try calling again on a different phone where it was only marginally better (it also seems the number they tell you to call on the Your Subscription page isn't right as they have to put you through to another department. Who then asks you for all the details you've just given to the first person so the second person wouldn't need to ask them).

They did say they added the payment method though.

Mind, the address they have for me on their files is the correct one, unlike what it says on both the website and the actual parcels, so God knows what's going on.

More cheerfully, I really enjoyed reading the Stormbringer book (though I've still got the last two Spotlights to go). It's been a while since I've done the Full IDW (I think around the end of season 1 of MTMTE/RID?) and it was actually good fun dipping into a random group of issues rather than reading everything in exact sequence. Consdiering I've put a lot of thought into the Marvel stuff recently (as people may have noticed), I think IDW and Dreamwave is where this is really going to shine for me.

Some great early instalment weirdness as well, Scoop as a hardened Wrecker taking on Thunderwing; Soundwave as a great scientist; Shockwave worrying about the Predacons being sent after him rather than the DJD (and it's interesting that he's only slightly less egocentric than Overlord will be, assuming it's most likely Megatron will come himself).

Such a shame about how Stormbringer itself ends, before the anticlimax it's actually really good fun with a lot more throwaway little characterisation moments than I remembered.

Prime's narration of DOOM is still pretty bad though, he'd doing endless monologues about Thunderwing for a full issue before he knows Thunderwing is back. It's like he gets up every morning, has Searchlight bring him a coffee and then starts going on about "How we reaped the whirlwind" for eight hours straight in his head.

And considering what a cluster**** they became, it's so easy to forget the early Spotlights are actually pretty neat, even if Shockwave and Soundwave have basically the same plot in different time periods.

Skyquake87
2017-01-21, 07:55 PM
Issues 3 & 4 turned up today! Key rings are nice. I read Primal Scream (the red one with Optimus on the front) and...yeah it bugged me that 'Cold Comfort...' has been reprinted out of sequence. I did really like the bit with Bove about colouring techniques, which was aces. And I like the effort he's gone to to colour the b&w stories in a style that fits with their contemporaries. Although I'm not sure that colouring some of the UK stories that directly link to the US material in the US 'dot' / block colour style. I get the idea, but I think I'd have preferred the UK stuff to be coloured ...like the UK stuff...

inflatable dalek
2017-01-30, 01:28 PM
Issues 3 and 4 allocated on the website! Backdated to the 27th.

But, they also want me to pay for issue 4 because, and sing along at home, they still don't have my payment details. So Brend and anyone else who got that email should double check.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-01-30, 05:31 PM
Yeah I rang 'em last week and they said my payment details weren't on file. Added them there and then (supposedly).

Have just checked my account and they've registered a payment but haven't added #3 and #4 yet...

I'm starting to think that just asking my LCS to put this stuff aside for me would have been the simplest approach.

inflatable dalek
2017-01-30, 08:34 PM
I'm wondering how often you can legitimately try to pay for something before you just keep it...

Skyquake87
2017-01-30, 09:11 PM
Crikey, and here's me, a dithery Johnny-come-lately who's had no problems at all.

inflatable dalek
2017-01-30, 09:24 PM
Sharp "Sort this out or I cancel the sub" message sent. I wouldn't even be giving them this chance if not for the Who one always going well.

Auntie Slag
2017-01-31, 01:05 PM
I bought Issue 2. Lovely hardcover and the paper is really nice quality. I bought it for Stormbringer, which I've always missed out on in the past and felt I'd missed loads of Technobots and Jetfire action. Turns out its a bit wanky and dull with Prime posturing and moping in equal measure, which I always loved in the past but that was 30 years ago. I've seen sexy, dynamic roof-jumping Pax since then, and that's what I'm in the mood for now.

Oh well. You pays your money. I didn't think the print was quite spot on, there was just a slight bit of image shift/blur. Not much, but its there.

Are they going to print Chaos Theory?

inflatable dalek
2017-02-01, 10:46 AM
They should indeed. Combiner Wars in the most recent thing I've seen mentioned and a chap involved with the Orbital Signing over at TMUK mentioned it'll be going all the way up to LL and OP.

Speaking of forthcoming issues, someone on Twitter posted a pic of a page from Previews, and whilst I forget to note the numbers (it was either 7&8 or 8&9) Hearts of Steel and Trial by Fire are coming soon.

I think Stormbringer has always looked a bit soft, digital volouring has come a long way.

Two days and no reply to my Hachette email...

inflatable dalek
2017-02-03, 07:33 PM
In general updatery (thanks to Jaymz over at TMUK), the volumes after War Within are:

6: Escalation.
7: Perchance to Dream.
8: Hearts of Steel (on top of the four issue original you might expect, say, that infestation issue. Or the "What if..." Movie one off to make it a full alternate history book. No, it's getting some of the early Spotlights in it).
9: Trial By Fire (Headmasters, Headmasters on Earth and World's Apart. A sensible book).

Shaping up for an odd focus on early IDW and late Marvel at the moment. Hopefully it'll go a bit more nuts soon.

Skyquake87
2017-02-04, 01:19 PM
...looks like I spoke too soon. Got a letter from Hachette this morning saying my direct debit instruction doesn't exist.

inflatable dalek
2017-02-06, 04:47 PM
Phew. Actually got to the stage of having an email sent from Hachette saying they'd gotten my Direct Debit details. Will it go all the way this time, or will it do a Skyquake?

Books came today anyway. Hurrah.

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/status/828598220859244544

I'm thinking the new colouring works better on Survivors than Race. I think with the later Wildman left a lot of the backgrounds for the colourist to sort out, but Bove is a bit too faithful so there's still lots of empty blank voids, they're just sometimes pink rather than white.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-02-06, 05:18 PM
It's a Christmas Miracle, Charlie Brown. Mine have turned up too. Does this mean the system is fixed? It's almost certainly too early to tell...

Skyquake87
2017-02-06, 08:39 PM
Resupplied my bank details tonight. Although thanks to being at work during office opening hours, had to nip outside and contend with traffic noise to make the call :( Sent an email asking for confirmation this is all set up okay.

Skyquake87
2017-02-27, 08:32 PM
Direct Debit fiasco sorted, issues 5 & 6 turned up over the weekend.

Sooo Escalation is still great :) Man, E.J. Su was one of the best artists Transformers ever had. I love his cinematic style,its right good. The Spotlights, Sixshot and Magnus are good, if still in thrall to the bloated art style of Pat Lee. Reapers are still a bunch of ass-hats though.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-03-06, 07:29 PM
War Within and Escalation have turned up. Totally forgot they'd added that tin print thing to the gifts. Mine looks to have curved a little.

No idea what I'm going to do with it.

#GoodPosts

Skyquake87
2017-03-06, 08:17 PM
Read War Within - some of the pages are grainy looking :S Decent story, if a bit...ploddy.

inflatable dalek
2017-03-06, 08:35 PM
Thanks to some research from Andy Turnbull the fuzzy pages were like that in the original printing, the result of IDW having to rely on scans of the issues and thus repeating the printing error.

Still waiting for my 5 and 6 to arrive.

Skyquake87
2017-03-06, 08:53 PM
Wow. I think my ancient HP could have done better. Seriously, I wonder why Titan managed to get decent scans (more or less) from old comics, but something from a fairly recent comic has turned out...kinda crappy.

inflatable dalek
2017-03-10, 01:10 PM
Two weeks after Hachette dispatched 5 and 6 (and a week after the subscribers not having multiple problems had gotten theirs) I still haven't gotten mine.

Sadly, because it's not fair on the people who man the phones who are just doing their job (albeit badly so far), I discovered today the best way of getting anywhere with with them on issues like this is to be a complete and utter dick.

This was after two attempts to get through to the correct number (not the one they tell you to ring on the your subscription page on the website) which wasted ten minutes of my life as they just hung up after leaving me on hold.

So I called the number on the website instead. And this is roughly what followed (and yes, there is some twattishness on my part here):

Hachette Man 1: Oh, I'm sorry, this is the wrong number for the Transformers Partwork, you'll need to call...

Me: No. This is the number on the website, You are going to help me with this.

HM1: This number being on there is a mistake I'm afraid, I could have them call you back?

Me: It's a mistake that's been on there for months, if you were aware of it, you should have fixed it by now. And the last time you said you were going to get someone to call me back they never did. You will sort this issue out now or I will have to insist on cancelling my subscription. Is there a manager there I can speak to?

HM1: They won't be able to help you either...

Me: I don't care, I would like to complain about the appalling customer service to a manager.

*Brief Hold*

HM1: I'll transfer you directly to someone who will be able to deal with your problem.

Me: Oh, you can actually do that from this number can you? Great.

*Brief Hold*

Hachette Man 2: (After I briefly explained the situation) Well, issues 5 and 6 were dispatched on the 24th of February, but you need to allow 14 working days for delivery so you need to wait until the 16th before we will do anything.

Me: Not good enough, the majority of subscribers got theirs last week and this is part of a ridiculous number of problems I have had with this service. Read me the address you sent it to.

*They read out the wrong address*

That is not the right address! I have on at least three prior occasions attempted to get you to correct that mistake (which wasn't mine incidentally, the original confirmation email from last year shows I gave you the right one). Without the flat number or flat block on it Royal Mail have to take a guess at where on a street with two flat blocks with over 60 flats each in they should deliver it to. That's why it's gone missing. It's a miracle this didn't happen with the previous mis-labbled packages.

HM2: Well we still can't do anything until the 16th.

Me: You will do something now or not only will I cancel my subscription immediately, I will also use my position as a podcaster and blogger to share these experiences with your key audience.

HM2: Replacements order placed, it'll be sent recorded delivery to the right address. It'll take about a week, should definitely be with you by the 20th.

Me: It had better be. I do hope I don't need to call again. Goodbye.

I mean, really I was a complete areshole there, but it got the job done. I would recommend to anyone else having to call them to go "I will cancel my subscription now" and "I will blog about this" (or anything like that, a friend on Facebook told me he only got anywhere with BT when he said he edited a magazine, without mentioning it was a magazine that did nothing but adverts for tractors, but they went instantly from beligerant to rimming him over the phone) any time they run into difficulty. They had no way of knowing if I was really a blogger (nor of the, let's be honest, meagre reach I have as one) so it's a tactic anyone can use.

Just a shame they're not interested in helping customers who aren't threatening to cancel or give them bad PR.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-03-10, 01:29 PM
I mean, really I was a complete areshole there

It's quaint that that's your definition of being a complete arsehole.

inflatable dalek
2017-03-10, 01:38 PM
It's quaint that that's your definition of being a complete arsehole.

15 years of working in retail. Anyone who complains at me about stuff I neither have any power over or care about is an arsehole.

inflatable dalek
2017-03-17, 07:08 PM
Well, the replacement 5 and 6 arrived yesterday. With the name of the flat block on them now, but still no flat number. As the post woman told my mother, it's only because I had other mail that day giving her a clue it got delivered.

They also didn't include the free gift.

Then today, the original 5 and 6 turned up. In a box very battered after three weeks floating around a post office sorting room as they tried to work out what to do with it.

Still, at least I now have the free gift! Though it's a bit bashed around the edges. I know a lot of people have been apathetic towards this ("What is a tin plate anyway? Why that cover?"), but it tickles my sense of the absurd so it actually appeals to me.

inflatable dalek
2017-03-20, 12:28 PM
So, read through 5 and 6 weeks after everyone else:

War Within, stood up better and for longer than I expected. The flashforwards were where it used to go off the rails for me as they felt needlessly limiting to future stories. Dreamwave not having a future makes that moot now, and they're a harmless enough diversion. Though nothing in them really seems as dangerous for Megatron to know as Prime seems to think. Megatron's convinient amnesia is still a balls suckingly bad way to end the series though.

It's also of course hugely influential, not just for making Cybertronian redesigns a much bigger thing than they'd ever been in the cartoon/Marvel, but for bringing the State Games idea out of its origin in a relatively obscure (though great!) Annual story and ensuing it got taken up by pretty much every subsequent continuity to bother giving a backstory to the Decepticons.

Though in terms of how others have run with it, what really stands out is how straightforward Furman's reasons for the start of the war are. Megatron literally wants to turn Cybertron into a War World. And that is it. Even Eric Holmes (in a story originally intended for Dreamwave!) found meatier material to play with than that.

That's not a complaint as such, as with one of the few redeeming features of ReGeneration One it's occasionally nice to have a straightforward "I'm Mad Me" Megatron, but the core idea Furman reintroduces here has been built up on a lot more by other authors since.

Escalation is for me still the best of Furman's IDW run. Every problem I could have with it are the results of subsequent stories dropping the ball badly rather than anything directly wrong with it. It rattles along, has lots of nice character moments (Furman's character work for IDW only tends to get talked about when he had a different take on them, the fact that for a lot of guys he sensibly just took his Marvel take on them and streamlined it a bit tends to get overlooked despite being very successful) and a genuine growing sense of tension and drama.

All of which would be quickly pissed down the drain (the fairly redundant to a series with a lot of plots in the air silly looking Reapers showing up being a bad omen of things to come), but as a story itself it's impossible to have any complaints. Great stuff.

Spotlight Sixshot is still pretty awful and confused (a guy who we're told can destroy entire planets by himself is impressed by a group of six that can do the same?), though the Terrorcons as fanboys with a try-to-hard-name is fantastic and it's such a shame subsequent authors ignored this.

Spotlight Magnus is workmanlike, but generally good fun and actually unintentionally sets up Magnus falling into step with Megatron so quickly on MTMTE as he was already a neutral soldier who liaised with Decepticon authorities anyway.

And I love Mo Zarak. You go Mo!

Ryan F
2017-03-23, 05:52 PM
I decided in the end to cancel - this series just isn't for me, I think. I have 80% of this stuff already, and War Within didn't exactly sell the Dreamwave era to me. The behind-the-scenes stuff is mostly puff pieces, the reproduction isn't great (it's Skids, not Skips, dammit!!!), stories are out of order, and the decision to go with dotty colouring for the b/w stuff is baffling.

I'd been trying for a while to invent reasons to keep subscribing, but it the end it seems I'm obviously not fanboi enough to slog through this set. Hope you continue to enjoy it, people!

Skyquake87
2017-03-23, 10:08 PM
My enjoyment will only last so long as Hachette's competence.

inflatable dalek
2017-03-24, 12:38 PM
So, you've given up already then?

I can't blame you Ryan F, though I'm still liking the idea of the series enough to carry on.

Skyquake87
2017-03-24, 09:57 PM
I'll probably give it until they f%@* up my direct debit again.

Ryan F
2017-03-25, 06:11 PM
So, you've given up already then?

I can't blame you Ryan F, though I'm still liking the idea of the series enough to carry on.

Oh, the idea of it is great, and I do so love a nice partwork (I also subscribe to the Hachette Doctor Who making-of series and the Doctor Who figurine collection), but for the price of it, and considering most of the stories are double, triple or quadruple dips for me, it's not really the necessity I thought it'd be.

I felt like I was subscribing for all the wrong reasons, y'know... I was getting it, not because I liked it or needed it, but simply because it existed, and that's no good reason for buying anything, if you know what I mean.

Skyquake87
2017-04-03, 08:01 PM
Wanted : Galvatron & Hearts Of Steel turned up today. I don't know if its the smaller format, but the whole volcano arc felt very loooong.

Hearts of Steel. I was quite enjoying it until it just ...kind of ends with the bad guys falling off a cliff. Reading the interview with Ryall, I'm kind of glad there were no other 'evolutions' series, as I have the feeling we'd just get endless variants on the Transformers wake up in different historical eras as nauseum. I'd be interested to see what oddness Ted McKeever came up with before Ryall decided he wasn't suitable. I'd have been up something imaginative and different.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-04-04, 04:22 PM
Well I've definitely gotten what I've paid for with this free mug.

Blurry one-colour printing, dents and dings around the outside and about half a dozen massive lumps in the bottom inside it. Something tells me the finish wasn't quite dry when, hey check me out pretending I know anything about the practicalities of mug making. Seriously though, it's not good.

inflatable dalek
2017-04-07, 04:09 PM
Looks like everyone had problems with the cup (if they had any sense, they'd have put Kup on it) except me.

Mine turned up... with the postwoman now having put up enough with this shit to know straight away which building and flat it needed to go to even though the address was still wrong.

I'd recommend folk check their addresses on the "My Subscription" page of the website, apparently a lot of folk have had theirs change in the last week or so to remove details (mine lost most of my name alongside the other issues).

Skyquake87
2017-04-07, 07:16 PM
I would, except through the magic of wizardry at Hachette, my subscription number isn't recognised when I try and do online stuff. Because why would that be useful? So I gave up with that shizzle. I got the piece of metal with my last lot, so I'll be looking forward to a wonky mug with my next delivery :)

inflatable dalek
2017-04-10, 07:56 PM
Read the Wanted book!

After finding the story a real drag when I did it at a weekly rate for the blog, I was wondering if hitting it all in one go again would help it read better.

Not really, it just hit how repetitive the whole thing is (run up and down that volcano guys, it's good exercise). Nice first issue, good Death's Head (though objectively he gets a lot of focus in that first two parter compared to what he actually contributes) and some very nice Geoff Senior art--though the first Galvatron/Magnus fight looks very washed out in my copy, though less like a general printing fault and more the ink in the printer was starting to run out--but a very bloated arc. Even if Furman writing an extended love letter to A View to a Kill is actually very funny in and of itself (though the empty headed blond geologist didn't have to be carried over so closely!).

King of the Hill is actually probably my favourite thing in the book. It's silly as hell, but Trypticon is brilliant and most of the jokes actually hit home for once. It's only knowing how badly Grimlock's storyline goes afterwards that really counts against it, and that's not really the fault of that issue.

Plus, Ratbat.

Mechanical Difficulties gives cancer to kittens though.

In terms of presentation... sigh. I really wish that Furman hadn't made a thing of presenting the Marvel series in proper order. Whatever spacing excuses were used for things like Cold Comfort and Joy, there is literally no reason King of the Hill couldn't have been put in its proper place before Wanted... when they're both in the same book. Boo.

Also it's a shame that as well as not reprinting it, none of the background material is going to mention G2 (and come to that, the Joe crossover doesn't warrant a line despite replacing that being a key part of the Volcao story's purpose)even when it obviously should. Yes, there was Another Time and Place and then ReGeneration One and there was not another popular Marvel continuation inbetween the two at any point: [twitter url="https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/status/851486414986289152"]

It also makes Another Time and Place sound like a placeholder for fans until Reg came along and was joyfully embraced by all of them as well.

Oh, and I guess that's confirmation only the "Key" Annual stories will be reprinted.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-04-11, 04:18 PM
Oh hey look another copy of Target: 2006. Isn't that novel.

Looks like the misprint on the previous spine was just an oversizing of the box containing the sequential number, as the mural segment appears to be unchanged.

inflatable dalek
2017-04-12, 06:38 PM
Yep, got mine. I've got enough now to build a little house out of.

Read Hearts of Steel!

The titular series is one of those TF comics that's perfectly readable (despite a very sudden ending) and looks great thanks to Guido, but also feels very disposable. The description of the other Evolutions they had planned sound equally meh, as if no one had any other ideas for the range than "Ahhhhhh, but what if the Transformers woke up in a different decade and turned in to different things!!!! Hot rod cars! UFO's!"

To be fair on Hearts, it does try for something beyond this with the debate on automation and losing your job to machines, but because Transformers is a series about machines doing jobs it's preloaded to coming down on one side of the argument, even though the human villains are evil industrialists who want to get rid of their workforce.

The two Furman Spotlights are frustrating in that they both have some really nice moments, but equally are the point where the range stopped being Spotlights (tight focused stories about the title character that people could dip in and out of) and became add ons to throw ideas and subplots that Furman couldn't be arsed to deal with properly in the ...tions. These are more Escalation issues 7 and 8, and Hunter and Verity randomly turning up in Galvatron to discuss a subplot that has nothing to do with that comic being especially bad.

Mirage of course goes almost entirely in the other direction as it's utterly divorced from everything (until John Barber had to explain it because he can only reach sexual climax by rationalising old continuity points no one cared about at the time). It fits the remit of a Spotlight more, but suffers from it being Mirage's first (and mist sustained!) IDW appearance and you can't really do a dark alternate timeline version of a character when you don't know the normal one yet.

Interestingly the book is very confident the series will be reprinting right bang up to date stuff as it promises we'll see the only just started John Barber written explanation as to why Hearts of Steel is included with the main continuity IDW stuff (and yes, the "Worthy side step even if not strictly G1" rationalisation in the intro is annoying when they're not doing the far worthier "Sidestep" G2).

As this is book 39 and Escalation was 37, I wonder what 38 will be? Presumably not Devastation as they're supposed to be doing the IDW stuff "Chronologically" and the two Furman Spotlights here are set before that. Unless that's going to be messed up as the Marvel ordering?

inflatable dalek
2017-05-05, 02:07 PM
9 and 10 arrived! In a comedically oversized box with no padding. Amazingly the bookends came out damaged:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/status/860462787537121280

I won't have time to sit down with them till I've finished the current Who partwork issues, but a quick glance suggests two things:

Worlds Apart really is as washed out as people have said.

And, very much against my expectations, the introduction to Reg mentions G2. Albeit just in a list of Things Wot Furman Wrote after the Marvel comic ended. Looks like the rest of the background material pretends there was no prior Marvel follow ups and the American series totally had a rushed conclusion (which it didn't really, it had a big finale and then a five issue coda. Many cancelled comics would probably kill for that. G2 and the UK series leave more legitimate loose ends as a result...).

It does look like the making of stuff, though not as scathing as Wildman was on panels at AA, is fairly honest about how much Hasbro didn't want to do this.

Hopefully somewhere they'll be a note clarifying this is ignoring the British stuff, otherwise in the context of a series that otherwise presents the Marvel stuff as a whole that'll get confusing to new readers.

Skyquake87
2017-05-05, 10:18 PM
...mine turned up today, Hachette have mysteriously lost my house number, cue lots of ranting from the postman...

I got the mug with my delivery, caked in some mysterious brown substance.

Is this really worth it, I ask myself?

Brendocon 2.0
2017-05-06, 09:30 AM
Right so they've ****ed up my address too now.

They've stripped the building number and apartment indicator and replaced it with the name of the business that's downstairs. Which is fine for somebody making the delivery, but causes a lot of confusion when I have to collect it from the sorting office.

ALSO that's a funny looking logo built into these bookends. I don't recognise it from... oh, the packaging says they're Warhammer.

inflatable dalek
2017-05-14, 02:51 PM
So many people have got the wrong bookends I can only assume there's an equally confused number of Warhammer fans with TF ones.

Out of curiosity, I decided to compare my own scan of Worlds Apart to the Hachette version (and from what I've seen people say it's just a reuse of the IDW reprint, which was in turn a reuse of the Titan reprint) to see exactly how washed out and faded it was, and the result was actually worse than I thought:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/status/863762033635885058

Headmasters was a good bonkers read. Though I think it might actually be a series that benefited from being so broken up by the UK printing and the shifts in tone are so frequent and often random it lends itself better to little bites.

It is yet another book where the ordering is somewhat out of sync, but understandably. It makes for a more cohesive book to have Headmasters-The two part follow up the Headmasters-Worlds Apart all together rather than Headmasters-Worlds Apart-the chunk of UK issues after Worlds Apart. It's just a shame, again, it's at odds with how the series was promoted.

Actually, a few Marvel books into the run now and it's increasingly clear than even in volumes containing material from both the UK and US, there is going to be a clear divide between the two. You're not going to get a book where it's, for example, UK story-US story-UK story even if that's how it was originally printed. It's going to be "Here's a chunk of the US and here's a chunk of the UK, with their own separate introductions and recaps and behind the scenes stuff". Hence things like King of the Hill being in the wrong place.

Ironically for a series where a fuss was made of it being the first time the UK and US stuff had been reprinted together, it's making the division seem more stark than ever.

Also a shame there are no direct quotes from Budiansky in the making of material as he was promoted as being involved in the series on the website (mind, we've not seen Andrew Wlidman yet). It would have been more interesting to hear directly from the horse's mouth rather than Furman parsing what he counterpart was going through. It might have been nice to include the Headmasters pitch document rather than just describing it as well (I must remember at some point to scan that from the Titan book as it's a fascinating read that should be kept in circulation).

Skyquake87
2017-05-14, 09:25 PM
I don't if reprinting the UK stuff in between the US stuff would be equally as divisive. They're so different in terms of story-telling and art as to be distinctive anyway it would break up the flow of each respective chunk of story and be as jarring in its own way. It is a shame that some stuff has been printed out of sequence, though. I can forgive the World's Apart thing being tacked on at the end, but stuff like King Of The Hill and Cold Comfort being presented in the wrong order bothers me more than it should.

I enjoyed reading Headmasters again. The fourth issue struggles to introduce the Targetmasters and wrap the story up, but it feels like Bob's a bit more involved in the story here than in the ongoing at this time.

Regeneration One was a surprise. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it, but I did. Wildman's art is a bit off, with a lot of the characters he isn't familiar with looking a bit rough and the backgrounds are very sparse, but there's a decent story going on. It's a shame this makes Generation 2 null and void and Circuit Smasher is...er, a thing... but it riffs off some of the same ideas- the Decepticons laying waste to Earth just for attention.

inflatable dalek
2017-05-17, 07:11 AM
Well it's nice you liked it Skyquake.

I bit down and read the book yesterday, assuming I'd dance through it quickly and move on with a shrug of the shoulders at the fact getting the odd rum'un is the one downside of subscribing to a series like this (or it would be the one downside if Hachette didn't keep adding new and interesting downsides).

But I'd forgotten quite how awful it is. Issue 80.5 reads like a parody and the rest--despite a handful of good ideas that would make for a good comic if it didn't keep cutting away to the dead weight (something John Barber clearly agreed on actually, there's a lot of influences on later Ex-RID here. Especially Soundwave as the one true believer in Megatron's vision)--is overwhelming the worst thing Furman has ever written. By a mile.

Circuit Smasher is a handy poster child for the whole series. A continuity point that really didn't need addressing (was Circuit Breaker ever so popular this series couldn't happen without a copyright avoiding dodge?), looks idiotic and against the stated intent of not being retro and is just ****ing stupid. Seriously, CS doesn't have a single line of dialogue that's not the equivalent of being bummed by Jar Jar Binks.

And Optimus Prime is awful as well. Marvel Prime would only ever be depressed when inactive, pretty much every time he felt down going out and punching the shit out of something would sort him out (Crisis of Command and Yesterday's Heroes being fine examples), he would never spend 21 years feeling sad about not being dead. Frankly Bay Prime is far truer to the Marvel take.

The good bits mainly consists of a Mad Megatron twatting Earth. Sort of what All Hail Megatron should have been. But it can never get going.

And Wildman's art... The man was ludicrously passionate about Reg at conventions, with some mildly barmy yet entertaining old hippy ideas about Transformers.

So why does the work look so much like that of a guy who didn't give a ****?

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/status/864386453404602368

Or did he suddenly develop a fear of mouths?

Mind, I think Llama God on twitter may have hit the nail on the head when he compared it to a storyboard. I believe that's the area Wildman has mainly worked in recent years and that lack of the detail you'd expect in a comic but which would work fine for a rough guide to an animation seems to have carried over.

Of course, that shows an editorial failure for not asking for appropriate revisions. It looks like the normally reliable Barber was just like, "Yeah, give us anything, **** it."

I think the big problem is the idea Marvel had a rushed ending with lots of loose ends is a false one. You had the intended Big Final Issue the series had worked towards for months and then an unexpected five issue coda. That doesn't leave much good stuff to play with. The UK and G2 probably have bigger and with more potential dangling bits.

The making of material (and even the back cover!) is annoying as well for treating it as if it's The One And Only Ever Marvel Follow Up Ever (without doing perhaps the more useful thing for new readers experiencing the comics through this series of making it crystal clear that even though hachette are treating UK and US as one and the same--even if in only lip service--Reg is only carrying on from the US), which just makes me want to punch everyone involved.

I mean, I could if I so wished have the 200AD continuation of Dan Dare, the Revolver continuation of Dan Dare and the Virgin continuation of Dan Dare all on my bookcase. All contradictory and no doubt some are more popular with fans than others, but with no attempt by the publishers that theirs is the only one that matters. Why not have G2 and Reg on the same bookcase as well?

With the Star Trek partwork Eaglemoss are doing occasional special "Super size" hardbacks for big crossover stories at a higher price point. Whilst on the one hand it's impressive Hachette aren't trying to milk extra cash by, say, doing All Hail Megatron and Dark Cybertron that way, if they were to do just one for G2 they could take my cash. And I suspect the cash of a lot of other people as well.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-05-17, 01:10 PM
So I've had a reply from Hachette (only took... well, however long) asking me to send the Warhammer pack back to them and also saying that they've re-sent issues 9 and 10...

This is going to get worse before it gets better, isn't it?

Skyquake87
2017-05-17, 08:56 PM
I've still to email them about my address (i've been busy!), but given that it took them the best part of two months to respond by email to my direct debit query (by which time I'd rung up in the meantime, making a nonsense of their reply...), I'm probably just going to ring them when I've some time.

@dalek, yeah the 80.5 (was that a free comic book day job? - it looks like one...) is bobbins, full of ludicrous ominous narration and some poor swirly cobblers with flashbacks and 'cracks' (whatever could they be?!), but I enjoyed the story proper for what it was. Prime sitting in a chair staring into space was pants, but what's 21 years when you're six million years old?

I'd agree that Reg One is the answer to a question no-one asked, but I did enjoy this opening salvo for what it was. Although I'd never paid much attention to the line in Headmasters about the original heads being left behind on Nebulous - I always forget that and assumed they'd carved up the Autobots' heads into exo suits for the squishy organics. Frankly, given the state of things by the Transformers leave Nebulous, I'm amazed they still exist.

I am disappointed that G2 is dismissed out of hand though. It's easily Furman's best work on Transformers having a strong over-arching plotline and lots of neat side adventures ('Tales Of Earth') that tie into the main story. If IDW or someone ever do a 'complete' trade - G.I.Joe lead in and the Fleetway stuff as an extra in a big fancy hardback, plus full page repros of Derek Yaniger's glorious cover artwork (plus those wee illustrations that show up in #12s letter page by assorted uncredited artists), they can happily have my money. I heart G2.

inflatable dalek
2017-05-19, 07:23 PM
Yeah, it was a FCBD thing. To bring new readers up to speed as they very much wanted something that would have broader appeal than just to old fans.

Hmm.

Housewife2000
2017-05-22, 07:50 AM
I still can't believe that they're ignoring G2. It's easily one of my favourite runs - it's bold and different, yet builds on the past; it's strikingly stylised, thematically coherent (even if one of those themes is the dumb-as-anything "genetic morality") - and is one of the few comic book series where the "everything you know is wrong" propaganda actually fits. I have a lot of impartial nostalgia for it, but it generally (and genuinely) held up on a recent re-reading.

Cliffjumper
2017-05-22, 02:08 PM
Yup, G2's basically the one Transformers story that holds up really, really well - dense, violent, largely free of commercial pressures, focused on a handful of leads with colour support, big stakes, an actual new villain who got things done, actual character development... It's a genuine horizon-widening that takes what it wants from the original run and junks what it doesn't and shows how good Furman could write when he was writing what he wanted rather than playing to the gallery.

Warcry
2017-05-25, 05:47 PM
When was the last time anyone reprinted G2? I don't think IDW's touched it with any of their reprints either. I wonder if publishers are put off because of the four issue long G.I. Joe lead-in. Though it's not as if that's essential reading. Everything you need to know is recapped in the first couple issues. Or is this another case where Furman is trying to stop something from being republished because he's embarrassed of it, like the early UK issues?

I agree with everyone that it's a shame. G2 is one of my favourite chunk of Transformers stories, and probably the single best self-contained story Furman ever did.

Cliffjumper
2017-05-25, 07:02 PM
There were a couple of bits in Best of Simon Furman (IIRC the alliance discussion from the back-ups) but aside from that I think we're talking Titan (thankfully when they were still printing ridiculous quantities so it's still easy to find).

Apparently the prick thinks it was "too nineties", though presumably it's more likely that his royalties deal with Regen was more favourable and to smear the thing in favour of the ONE TRUE post End of the Road comic.

inflatable dalek
2017-05-25, 07:05 PM
Bits of it have been in "Best of" collections, but yeah, no full reprint. So whatever the issue is, it's bigger than Hachette (which probably rules out it being Furman blocking it as well, it didn't get into their money for old rope Classics stuff even before there was a Reg to favour).

IDW have actually reprinted the Joe issues in full at least twice in the time they've not done the follow up.

EDIT: Oh look at la de da Cliffy with his faster posting.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-06-03, 09:11 AM
So I've had a reply from Hachette (only took... well, however long) asking me to send the Warhammer pack back to them and also saying that they've re-sent issues 9 and 10...

This is going to get worse before it gets better, isn't it?

So I replied to this email saying "no, no, it's cool, I've got #9 and 10, it's only the bookends that are wrong". To which I got a reply saying "okay, we've sent the right bookends to you now".

Which they did. Those turned up last week.

Today I've been to the sorting office and collected #11 and #12.

And also another box containing #9 and #10 along with some TF bookends. Because obviously the first "fix" has turned up a week after the second one.

inflatable dalek
2017-07-04, 07:22 PM
Read the latest books out of order as the first seemed like a good one to start on the train to Last Knight.

A few small niggles aside (using the American version of the last page of Man of Iron rather than the CC one), that's probably the strongest book in the series so far. The original miniseries is basically a Michael Bay Transformers film in terms of how all over the place like a mad woman's knitting it is (in retrospect putting Spider-Man in there as well was a mistake), but is still hugely likeable in its rough retro way and certainly never dull.

And two of the three British stories are great. And again, Man of Iron was presumably an influence on the new film.

Raiders is still rubbish, but the new colouring it staggeringly well done. Without comparing it directly to the original it's impossible for me to tell which pages were which. After the fudging of the colouring of the full B&W stories, it's great to see this done right.

Best behind the scenes stuff as well. Unused pages from one (including some I don't think we've seen before, turns out that mad page where Optimus Prime leads the Decepticon attack was a last second replacement), handwritten character notes and a good overview from Budiansky. Basically a great book for those dipping in and out of the series (though youngsters with no residual fondness for the series will probably find the miniseries and Raiders more towards the bad-bad end of the spectrum rather than bad-good).

Skyquake87
2017-07-04, 09:18 PM
...still waiting on 11 & 12 :(

Ryan F
2017-07-05, 12:40 PM
I just realised that Hachette's website allows you to just buy random issues, so I've decided to only get those books which have newly-colourised UK b/w stuff and the Dreamwave stuff, (Dreamwave having completely passed me by first time around, and as far as I'm aware some of it has never been reprinted before).

So am I right in saying that only four issues so far meet my to-buy criteria: Primal Scream, War Within, The Iron Fist and Power Play, is that correct?

Denyer
2017-07-05, 05:23 PM
If they keep the license I assume IDW will put out the coloured material in volumes at some point -- although if you want DW material as well, it might be worth it?

Link for individual sales if anyone's interested:

https://www.hachettepartworks.com/transformers-the-definitive-g1-collection

inflatable dalek
2017-07-05, 05:32 PM
Waiting till you can get three in one go will give you free postage as well.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-07-12, 07:57 PM
Random tangent: Do we know what the sitch with Ancient Relics is?

I mean presumably the Action Force issues were included in Transformers Classics UK vol 4 (helpfully the Waki article for this volume uses story names rather than issues)... but that was in, what, 2013?

Has any of the UK Action Force comic ever even been reprinted anywhere on its own merits?

Skyquake87
2017-07-12, 08:01 PM
Other than as G.I.Joe: European Missions in the late '80s/ early '90s, I don't think so...

In exciting hachette news, they've delivered me #11-14 all in one go. With bookends (which will actually come in useful). And they've changed my address!

inflatable dalek
2017-07-28, 09:00 PM
Heady up folks, issue 16 (Primacy) has a printing error that means some pages are replaced by those from the preceding War and Peace book. No work (or even acknowledgement of the problem) from Hachette yet, so if you're not subscribing but are interested in that one, best hold off to see how/if it's fixed.

Those wacky guys.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-07-29, 11:11 AM
Hachette are very good at this, aren't they.

inflatable dalek
2017-08-19, 12:05 PM
So, the Windblade issue also has pages in the wrong order.

They've not actually taken the money for the August issues from me yet (it would normally have been within a day of the Who one, which was last week), so I'm wondering if they're holding off so as to only send fixed copies. Which is fine, but they should really tell people they're doing that.

People who have paid silly money for advance copies of Perchance to Dream on Ebay have apparently spotted new spelling mistakes in the formally black and white stuff as well...

Skyquake87
2017-08-21, 09:59 PM
My copy of Primacy is free of errors! I had a flip through to check...haven't read it all yet, though.

...people really have no patience these days, do they?

Brendocon 2.0
2017-08-25, 06:02 PM
Just received a replacement copy of Primacy. No idea if the pages were wrong in the previous one or fixed in this. Haven't checked.

#GoodContent

Denyer
2017-08-25, 06:39 PM
People who have paid silly money for advance copies of Perchance to Dream on Ebay have apparently spotted new spelling mistakes in the formally black and white stuff as well...

Would be surprised if there isn't a deal to reprint the coloured stuff in blocks, somewhere along the line.

It'd be nicer to have full sized reprints of the b&w stuff IMO personally...

And a complete G2 with Joes issues and Ghosts of course.

inflatable dalek
2017-08-25, 09:33 PM
Just received a replacement copy of Primacy. No idea if the pages were wrong in the previous one or fixed in this. Haven't checked.

#GoodContent

Same here, bar the fact I have checked.

Read a bit of Monstrosity, I quite enjoy the Dille stuff (well, assuming he contributed more than which bits of his 86 film dialogue was used), mainly thanks to Livio's art. I do wish they'd made it cartoon continuity though rather than trying to awkwardly slam it into the IDW stuff when Barber and Roberts were doing quite detailed and contradictory pre-war stuff at the same time.

Still waiting on the August books...

EDIT:

Oh, and though I didn't see the TFN panel as I was on my own stage at the time, apparently (and people might want to sit down for this), the World's Collide story from the Armada comic is going to be included.

But not G2. Or the Avengers crossover...

Skyquake87
2017-08-27, 07:35 AM
...I got a replacement copy of Primacy too. Which would be fine, except there's nothing wrong with the first copy I have.

And again, no August issues yet. Probably due to them going back to the printers to get Primacy sorted out.

Have to be honest, this is the first time I've really gotten Livio's art. Its still dark, murky and the proportions are off, but there's a lot more colour and it feels like he's put more effort into the story-telling, so things are a bit easier to see and you can tell what's happening. And I enjoyed Primacy too!

I also liked Hearts Of Darkness, which I really wasn't expecting to, given how popular opinion says its rubbish. I loved the art on it, which had a nice European flavour and I liked Abnett and Lanning's 2000AD sensibilities shining through on this.

...I think my general opinion on the IDW stuff is changing with a bit of distance. Although I'll be interested to see how the Costa stuff fares (assuming they're getting to it).

I'm guessing they're doing the Armada storyline because the heralds in that were all G1 characters, so therefore it's cannon...? The editorial line on what is and isn't part off the 'main' G1 continuity seems quite flexible, so I don't understand why, quite honestly, they're just not going for everything - I suspect they might get around to things like Armada, Energon and Beast Wars if subscriptions stay strong enough to allow this to carry on after its planned run. Although if the keep making a hash of things, it will definitely be a case of deciding how much I want to read this stuff measured against a chaotic and feeble customer service.

Brendocon 2.0
2017-09-09, 12:02 PM
Oh hey, the two newest volumes of the Complete IDW Simon Furman Transformers Partwork have arrived.

- Part 2 of Regeneration One.
- Maximum Dinobots and some assorted Spotlights that I would have put before Revelation but hey I'm not in charge of sequencing this car crash.

inflatable dalek
2017-09-09, 02:36 PM
They've actually skipped two issues for (all?) subscribers to allow for the Windblade reprint. But not bothered to tell anyone. Meaning the folk who've already had a reply to their emails about it are now doing Hachette's job of keeping subscribers informed...

Skyquake87
2017-09-09, 04:49 PM
...I was just pleased they turned up and I didn't have to ask them to send the books to me this time. Sigh.

I wonder what's happening at Hachette that this has been such a mess? Or are all their partworks like this?

Maybe I should have gone to that panel at TFNation and asked!

inflatable dalek
2017-09-13, 07:56 PM
In the reply I finally got, Hachette not only confirmed the swap, but casually mentioned the reason for skipping two issues is 1/Earthforce has a misprint as well. Presumably the new spelling mistakes I've seen people mention in the coloured B&W stories?

Skyquake87
2017-09-13, 08:02 PM
...how do you get spelling mistakes from reprinting something..? that's impressive. Or are they having to re-letter as well as recolour...?

Skyquake87
2017-10-03, 09:24 PM
So #18 & 19 arrived today! I've read the Windblade collection already and really enjoyed it! I sound like a broken record, but I'm really enjoying the stuff I haven't read before (which is an awful lot of IDWs stuff) and I can see why Terome was so enthusiastic about this in one of them there podcasts - it is a mature piece of writing in that its about everyone trying to work together. Its really interesting to see the Autobot / Decepticon war from the perspective of a former native. Rattrap and Scoop can still get f**Ked. I don't think I've been more annoyed with two portrayals of Transformers in my life. Rattrap is...I dunno. I don't get his association with Starscream and I do think a big problem I have with him is that I can't divorce him from his Beast Wars persona...and this isn't Beast Wars, but he's written like his Beast Wars version... I dunno. Animated did stuff like this better, throwing in characters in from other continuities. I just don't get why, a spy guy like Rattrap would shack up with someone like Starscream. And Scoop is just the worst. I enjoyed Galvatron deflating his beliefs with the reality of all this mystical prophecy guff he spouts in the 'Onyx' arc from Transformers - which was also pretty good. I don't know what's going on with Thundercracker and his dog, but that's kind of sweet.

Haven't read the other volume, but had a quick flick through it and liked seeing the B&W Marvel UK stuff coloured up :)

Brendocon 2.0
2017-10-04, 04:47 PM
The Battlechargers are on the cover art for a comic collection released in the year of our lord 2017.

What even is life.

inflatable dalek
2017-10-04, 04:56 PM
They're even relevant to the contents!

inflatable dalek
2017-10-05, 01:06 PM
If they intro the characters every issue, I could see that being removed for the original trade as redundant.

Picked up a couple of issues of the new 2000AD partwork, and considering it's also Hachette it really is annoying how much better the covers are despite also (presumably?) being cheap stock images. Actually big eye catching cover art with a nice tasteful border round the side. Not the Frankenstein like grafting of a frequently tenuously connected stock image on top of a faded moment from the actual comic. Which surely must take more time, putting the two images in the template rather than just the one big one? They're putting that little bit more effort in on the Transformers book to make sure the front looks terrible.

Hell, I mean Halo Jones is even on the front of the Halo Jones book rather than Blurr (who of course is the star of the forthcoming Megatron Origin cover).

Really hits home how we're not getting the Hachette's A team on this. More their monkeys banging rocks team.

inflatable dalek
2017-10-15, 12:15 PM
Having been all over the place the last few weeks, I've only just had chance to start on the last two deliveries.

Really enjoyed diving into the first Windblade again, a nice thoughtful fun series with some stunning art by Sarah Stone. Just a shame the I've still got to plough through the back end of the book with the long awaited by no one return of Jimmy Pink (which is at least hilarious in retrospect as Barber quickly realised what Furman had cottoned on to before side lining him: The character is completely dull and pointless. Meaning the book makes a big thing of him being back before he vanishes never to be seen again. Again) and the version of Blackrock who doesn't know how to shut the **** up.

inflatable dalek
2017-10-20, 03:42 PM
Finally read the Perchance book! Not an art expert so I may be talking out my arse here, but it felt like Bove had refined his Yomtoving technique as those strips didn't stand out as wrong looking anywhere like as much as Survivors/Race With the Devil did. Felt more subtle if that's the right word? It was also helped by Soundwave's one properly coloured appearance in the American issues had been left purple by the lazy ham-fisted bun vendor who did the recolouring there for IDW, so that visual thematic link almost worked this time!

Still felt a bit pointless though, and there are odd nitpicky things like Xaaron having his UK colour scheme but Soundwave his US one. Plus surely, by the logic of the series Perchance to Dream itself should have been given Yomtovitus? Almost all of the flashbacks tie directly in to or are set around American issues (as is the framing sequence, if you go with that being Rhythms Galvatron). If you're going to do it, might as well play it to the hilt.

The strips aiming for more the more UK colours all looked fab though, especially once you allow for the original artists taking different approaches to how they drew for black and white (Wildman clearly did nothing different and his work is immeasurably improved by the colours, whilst Anderson's much more heavily inked and shadowed Demons stuff probably looks a bit weaker for example).