TFARCHIVE

TFARCHIVE (http://tfarchive.com/community/index.php)
-   Transformers News & Rumours (http://tfarchive.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Hasbro releases: Prime Wars, Titans Return, Robots in Disguise, Masterpiece, etc. toys (http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?t=52733)

Skyquake87 2015-01-22 09:08 AM

I'm not fussy. Personally, I like the new additions to the team. Alpha Bravo is a wicked little helicopter. The Firefly mould is excellent, so I might be tempted to double dip on that.

Question is, what do you do with the additional team members...?

inflatable dalek 2015-01-22 09:29 AM

Does the Prime actually have a team to combine with? These guys could at least give him some legs.

Knightdramon 2015-01-22 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inflatable dalek (Post 745900)
Pretty fiendish of them to announce that after folks have forked out for the new guys.

That's -exactly- what's been going on for the past 2 or so years man. Even before that if I dig back.

For AOE, didn't they announce like all the "platinum" versions of all the characters 1-2 months after everybody bought everything? And then went even further with LDR Prime, who got a major remould and repaint for takara's line?

AOE basically rewarded folks for not outright buying anything :lol:

Clay 2015-01-22 03:15 PM

To be fair, did Hasbro ever intimate that Slingshot wasn't coming anyway? The package shots show Superion with both Alpha Bravo AND a Dragstrip for limbs.

Cliffjumper 2015-01-22 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightdramon (Post 745906)
Even before that if I dig back.

Movie Premium figs from 2007/8, not to mention all those little "running changes" where QC/design etc. couldn't be ****ed to sort stuff first.

Mind, it's also okay to not bother sorting speech bubbles and the like in comics then fix it for the trades. Or, bluntly, sticking a ****-ton of original material not avaliable elsewhere in trades. Or reissuing some vintage G1 figure with bonus accessories or a cassette people have heard of. Boat's probably sailed on that one.

I'd actually like the idea of a five-member combiner you could get more than five figures for, much more choice - any way you can do Superion without Slingshot is good because Slingshot's a knob. It's certainly a really fun way to do repaints and retools - a Decepticon retool of Air Raid that could do on a Bruticus without having to crack out a whole team to go with him, that sort of thing. I'd like G1 Defensor a lot more if there was a serious alternative to Groove.

Warcry 2015-01-22 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inflatable dalek (Post 745900)
Pretty fiendish of them to announce that after folks have forked out for the new guys.

Oh, they haven't actually announced it yet. It's just been leaked. I'd imagine they would have preferred to keep a lid on it for even longer so they could sell even more Alpha Bravos and, uh...whoever that new Stunticon guy is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inflatable dalek (Post 745900)
Presumably Slingshot will be getting better from being dead in the comics.

Was he dead? I thought it was more like "we don't know how to fix him" and he was in a coma.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyquake87 (Post 745902)
I'm not fussy. Personally, I like the new additions to the team. Alpha Bravo is a wicked little helicopter.

Alpha Bravo does look cool, but he's almost certainly going to be used for Blades and/or Vortex as well. I think a lot of people will pass on him in favour of those guys now that word of a Slingshot release is out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inflatable dalek (Post 745903)
Does the Prime actually have a team to combine with? These guys could at least give him some legs.

I think they were redecoing the Stunticons as a few Autobot cars in reference to that Masquerade cartoon episode. A lot of folks assumed they were meant to go with Prime, though I don't think we've seen any proof of that yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffjumper (Post 745908)
I'd actually like the idea of a five-member combiner you could get more than five figures for, much more choice - any way you can do Superion with Slingshot is good because Slingshot's a knob. It's certainly a really fun way to do repaints and retools - a Decepticon retool of Air Raid that could do on a Bruticus without having to crack out a whole team to go with him, that sort of thing. I'd like G1 Defensor a lot more if there was a serious alternative to Groove.

I definitely think it'll be fun for kids, since it really plays up the whole "scramble" element that the old combiners never really made good on. Even though you could combine the G1 toys with whoever, the show and other marketing always pushed the idea of them as teams. Having a bunch of extra limbs this time around will probably help push that mix-and-match play pattern, especially since they toy packaging doesn't seem to be pushing which teams are "supposed" to go together (like Clay says, the "Superion" on the first-wave package has a Stunticon in it because he's in that wave).

Denyer 2015-01-22 07:49 PM

I like Alpha Bravo, but definitely want a Slingshot one way or another...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffy
I'd actually like the idea of a five-member combiner you could get more than five figures for

Exactly. Have a whole bloody fleet of them -- it's the only way combiners would work as a more realistic concept, because component members would be killed left, right and centre.

Cliffjumper 2015-01-22 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warcry (Post 745909)
Was he dead? I thought it was more like "we don't know how to fix him" and he was in a coma.

I dunno, it'd be pretty odd for a Transformer to come back from the dead, especially in a comic.

Quote:

I definitely think it'll be fun for kids, since it really plays up the whole "scramble" element that the old combiners never really made good on. Even though you could combine the G1 toys with whoever, the show and other marketing always pushed the idea of them as teams. Having a bunch of extra limbs this time around will probably help push that mix-and-match play pattern, especially since they toy packaging doesn't seem to be pushing which teams are "supposed" to go together (like Clay says, the "Superion" on the first-wave package has a Stunticon in it because he's in that wave).
That's what I'd really be hoping for, TBH. I'm sure as kids we all mucked around with combining Blades, Vortex, Motormaster, Skydive and Lightspeed even if we knew they weren't proper. While I personally enjoy the design diversity of, say, Rail Racer or how handy it is to get combiners so cheaply as boxed sets I'm a collector with the means to buy them in that fashion. Kids will still get told that they pick one off the peg in the shop we're in now or they get nothing and I think the brand needs to reconnect with those kids rather than making things wilfully difficult for them.

Given today's tech meaning combiner limb members don't need to be a brick with alt mode parts hanging off on hinges there's a lot of scope for 'sneaking' the gimmick on all sorts of toys without compromising either figure. Not go Mugenbine crazy but certainly worth a look for toys of the right size class.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denyer (Post 745911)
I like Alpha Bravo, but definitely want a Slingshot one way or another...

His head's orange! He's an idiot in War Dawn!

Quote:

Exactly. Have a whole bloody fleet of them -- it's the only way combiners would work as a more realistic concept, because component members would be killed left, right and centre.
Bang on. A weird random memory from childhood was being incredibly bothered about Megatron popping Brawl's head like an egg in the comic was that it took Bruticus out of the mix totally. Though Megatron popping Brawl's head like an egg was pretty disturbing in its' own right.

Combining is a concept I'm not actually fond of in the fiction - the various personalities of quintets of capable Transformers always seem to make some massive retard who's a complete liability. Conversely on toys it's an incredibly fun concept, especially now the tech's caught up.

Warcry 2015-01-22 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffjumper (Post 745913)
I dunno, it'd be pretty odd for a Transformer to come back from the dead, especially in a comic.

I know, it's practically unheard of!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffjumper (Post 745913)
Given today's tech meaning combiner limb members don't need to be a brick with alt mode parts hanging off on hinges there's a lot of scope for 'sneaking' the gimmick on all sorts of toys without compromising either figure. Not go Mugenbine crazy but certainly worth a look for toys of the right size class.

Honestly I don't know how many kids will even get a chance to put one of these combiners together, let alone try to assemble a "proper" team. Four Deluxes and a Voyager is a lot of cash compared to the old combiners, when the limbs were pocket-money impulse-buy fodder. I wonder if four Scouts and a Deluxe (like the Energon guys) might have been a better choice marketing-wise. I wouldn't be surprised to see a box set or two pop up around Christmas time, though, aside from the Devastator we already know about.

I hope that their willingness to toss in random guys will extend to some of the later combiner teams, though. Some Technobots, Seacons and Terrorcons would be nice, even if the line doesn't last long enough to release the entire teams.

Cliffjumper 2015-01-22 10:29 PM

The cost for kids isn't great, no - but a system with as many combining figures as possible could make it work better in the current wave system. It wasn't *that* hard to collect, say, Defensor when he shipped for two or three years.

However, here the plan will surely be to have, say, Air Raid only on the shelves for a couple of months before a new wave overtakes him, so it'd be nice if there was, say, a Dogfight or Tread Bolt retool/recolour to help kids finish their Autobot jet combiner even if they don't get the G1 five. Which might be more in-line with a kid's spending for the year.

And a steady bleed of mould reuse would obviously work for the fanboys too. Seeing as we have a team of planes and a team of cars there's plenty of scope for much mould reuse.

Fiction-wise they really need to drop the merged mind thing. Why not just have the team leader controlling this new, powerful body? That's why they're team leaders, right? Why put the Decepticons' greatest field strategistic as the torso of a big moron? Why does the Autobots' second medical officer have to double-time as some guy's arm? Easier to acheive surely from an in-universe tech point of view and it'd make the combined robots a lot more formidable. It'd also mean you could combine whoever with whoever.

Skyquake87 2015-01-22 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warcry (Post 745916)
I hope that their willingness to toss in random guys will extend to some of the later combiner teams, though. Some Technobots, Seacons and Terrorcons would be nice, even if the line doesn't last long enough to release the entire teams.

I hope the line's popular enough to warrant some of the later guys too. Marketing seems a bit muted though and the focus isn't on this line like perhaps it could (should?) be, with a new cartoon for an unrelated part of the franchise to push this year and AoE hanging around.

The RRP is probably going to be the killer though. I can't see casual consumers paying the 16 the deluxe limbs go for over a chump change Legends/ Cyberverse figure that costs 6. Or the simple one-step changers that are around 10 and seem to be what is creeping into shelf space previously occupied by the deluxe class in a lot of retailers.

I'm finding with each successive increase in price in what was Hasbro's key size class, they're offering less and less value for money against a Voyager class toy that's only 6 more.

I think - at least over here - the CW toys are going to live and die on fanboy trade (and most of that will likely be lost to overseas websites which offer better value through exchange rates etc) and that seems a massive waste. IMO, I'd like to see Hasbro reining in their offering a bit. The new RID cartoon's supporting toyline seems to be following the AoE pattern of spewing out upteen versions of the same character in various size classes / complexity - the CW toys seem to be bang on in offering good, well engineered posable toys that are quick to transform, of a good quality and well, fun! (I have my three quarters complete assembled Superion - with Drag Strip - eagerly awaiting Skydive :) ) I can't see younger fingers struggling with these in the same way they might have done with ROTF Leader Prime.

Clay 2015-01-23 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warcry (Post 745916)
I know, it's practically unheard of!


Honestly I don't know how many kids will even get a chance to put one of these combiners together, let alone try to assemble a "proper" team. Four Deluxes and a Voyager is a lot of cash compared to the old combiners, when the limbs were pocket-money impulse-buy fodder.

I dunno, I think it's about the same actually. We know from old store catalog scans that the Scramble-style limb guys were sold for $5 each and the torso guys were $12. According the US Government's site about the history of minimum wage increases, the minimum hourly wage was raised to $3.35 in 1981 and stayed there until 1989, or the bulk of the run of the original line. 5*4+12=$32 for a full set (whereas gift sets were $28), which would've taken about 10 hours worth of work at the minimum pay rate allowed to accumulate. Now we have $15 limbs and $25 torsos. 15*4+25=$85 for a full set, and at the current minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, that would take about... twelve hours to accumulate. But! The toys now are bigger, more articulated, and I think unarguably more durable than what was marketed back in the heyday.

So yeah... it's about the same. If anything, it illustrates just how expensive the toys used to be instead of the opposite.

Warcry 2015-01-23 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffjumper (Post 745917)
The cost for kids isn't great, no - but a system with as many combining figures as possible could make it work better in the current wave system. It wasn't *that* hard to collect, say, Defensor when he shipped for two or three years.

True enough. And even if you didn't get Defensor per se, you could still cobble together a combiner with a Stunticon, two Protectobots, a Technobot and a Seacon over the years. With this, though? Who knows how long this stuff will be around.

I'm not just thinking of the individual figures (which, like you say, probably won't stick around more than three months), but the theme in general. There were Scramble City-type combiners available for, what, a decade straight if we count G2? Whereas Combiner Wars probably won't last more than eighteen months going by previous Hasbro line refreshes, and every time they revisit the combiner theme in modern times some bright light decides it's a brilliant idea to rework the connectors so they're not compatible with the last set they did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffjumper (Post 745917)
However, here the plan will surely be to have, say, Air Raid only on the shelves for a couple of months before a new wave overtakes him, so it'd be nice if there was, say, a Dogfight or Tread Bolt retool/recolour to help kids finish their Autobot jet combiner even if they don't get the G1 five. Which might be more in-line with a kid's spending for the year.

As long as that means they give me a G2 Skydive, I'll happily endorse any amount of mold reuse! And like you say, it'll help the kids assemble a team even if it's not the team.

Though I hope redecos don't choke out the potential for new molds. Tossing out a new Aerialbot or Stunticon to break up a wave of Predacons is fine, but solid cases of redecos probably wouldn't do too much for the line's sales.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyquake87 (Post 745918)
I'm finding with each successive increase in price in what was Hasbro's key size class, they're offering less and less value for money against a Voyager class toy that's only 6 more.

Can't disagree with that. Five years ago a Voyager cost nearly three times as much as a Deluxe in these parts. Nowadays they're less than double, and while the quality of the Deluxes has gone downhill quite noticeably from the halcyon days around 2008 to 2011 the Voyagers have if anything gotten better. Meanwhile, the new Legends figures are good simple fun and often seem to be higher quality than their bigger cousins. Honestly, if not for some mild curiosity re: Combiner Wars I'd be just about ready to give up on Deluxes entirely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay (Post 745924)
I dunno, I think it's about the same actually. We know from old store catalog scans that the Scramble-style limb guys were sold for $5 each and the torso guys were $12. According the US Government's site about the history of minimum wage increases, the minimum hourly wage was raised to $3.35 in 1981 and stayed there until 1989, or the bulk of the run of the original line. 5*4+12=$32 for a full set (whereas gift sets were $28), which would've taken about 10 hours worth of work at the minimum pay rate allowed to accumulate. Now we have $15 limbs and $25 torsos. 15*4+25=$85 for a full set, and at the current minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, that would take about... twelve hours to accumulate. But! The toys now are bigger, more articulated, and I think unarguably more durable than what was marketed back in the heyday.

That's not really the best indicator, though, since (in spite of big business's efforts) most of us don't work for minimum wage. Looking up a few inflation calculators, they all seem to agree that $32 in 1986 equals around $70 in today's money. And that actually lines up pretty closely to the hypothetical "four Scouts and a Deluxe" combiners that I was musing about earlier.

Today's $85 combiner would be the equivalent of a $40 one in the 80s -- which means you'd have been able to buy all the Aerialbots and still have enough left over for First Aid and Beachcomber. It's not a huge gap, but there definitely is one.

Combine that with the fact that real salaries have struggled to even keep pace with inflation over the last few decades, and the gulf is even more stark. Then on top of that, add in the fact that kids don't just want toys anymore. Electronics take up a way bigger chunk of the budget a parent sets aside for their kids' entertainment these days, which means that there is comparatively less left to go around for toys than in our day. Then toss in the limited shelf life of both individual toys and toyline gimmicks, and you've got a recipe for thousands of kids left with with 3/5s or 4/5s of a super-robot.

I actually do agree with your point that modern toys are a better value than their 80s counterparts. But once you toss in all the other mitigating factors, I think the price is still going to be off-putting.

Notabot 2015-01-23 09:20 PM

Despite all the inflation projections and what-not, I think the average person/family has WAAAY more disposable income than in the 80s. The point about kids not wanting (or having) just toys really emphasizes that. Granted, we have WAAAY more things to dispose income on (personal electronics just weren't a thing), but thinking back to my childhood, the rich (spoiled) kids had the equivalent of what is fairly commonplace these days.

That said, I do agree that having a figure available in 1-1.5 waves makes it almost certain that only we man-child collectors will have all the ones we want. Lil' Timmy is going to get what is on the shelf around Easter and his birthday, and his parents probably won't be driving him to Walmart once a week to check if the new wave is in so he can spend his allowance.

And yes, it would have been awesome if we could have had inter-generational combining. Without duct tape, that is.

numbat 2015-01-23 09:33 PM

Superglue?

Clay 2015-01-25 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffjumper (Post 745908)
I'd like G1 Defensor a lot more if there was a serious alternative to Groove.

Not for the original mind you, but it seems that you're getting your wish for the Combiner Wars version. Here's the first tease of Hot Spot and Groove (on the right hand side; Arielbots on the left and Motormaster/Blackjack in the middle). Groove has been demoted to Targetmaster for this version. I'm okay with that.

Clay 2015-01-28 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an out-of-focus, small, and obscured image of Titan Devastator

Unicron 2015-01-29 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay (Post 746004)

Saw that earlier. Tells us a very important thing: No Prowl (at least as an included thing. Could possibly be a sold separately add-on/replacement figure).

Notabot 2015-01-29 03:50 PM

He's huge! And it's weird that they put him in a suit and gave him a shaved head like that.

inflatable dalek 2015-01-29 06:28 PM

Seibertron are offering $50 to anyone who can take a better pic they won't share with any other site.

Unicron 2015-01-29 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inflatable dalek (Post 746014)
Seibertron are offering $50 to anyone who can take a better pic they won't share with any other site.

I kind of hope they're choking on a flood of fake pictures. $50 is a pitiful amount given the various conditions they've placed on it, and isn't worth the effort or risk (Hasbro apparently covered the windows after these first 2 blurry pictures came out. Odds are they'd come down on people trying to snag pics at this point).

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I wouldn't be shocked if these first 2 pics are some sort of viral marketing effort on Hasbro's part. These initial blurry, mostly obscured pictures have generated quite a bit of discussion, probably more than an official set/reveal would have.

Cliffjumper 2015-01-29 10:36 PM

All these years and Ryan's still absolute ****ing vermin.

Clay 2015-01-30 01:25 AM

To the surprise of absolutely no one, most of this stuff will supposedly be revealed officially at the New York toy fair in a couple of weeks, so we've got a fortnight for speculative nerdery. Rumored reveals are Devastator, reissue Trypticon, and Combiner Wars Defensor and Computron. GO.

Unicron 2015-01-30 05:45 AM

I want to be excited by the prospect of a Trypticon re-issue, but I can't help but wonder if Hasbro is going to end up gutting the electronics in the name of cost savings.

Skyquake87 2015-01-30 10:09 AM

Wow. Is it that important to the big boards in the news stakes that they're now offering rewards for exclusive use of illicit long range, out of focus pictures of things that may be in the public interest.

...sounds familiar...

Anyway! I hope re-issue Trypticon is the full on walking robot dude. Takara did the electronics free version for Beast Wars II and it just left you with a toy that felt like half of what it should be. Robbed of the electronics, the point of the thing was rather lost too as Typticon just doesn't have much else going for him. He's the weakest of the Citybots IMO. I'm hopeful he'll keep the electronics. Previous reissues of Omega Supreme and Sky Lynx kept the electrics.

inflatable dalek 2015-01-30 03:53 PM

I'll give $51 to anyone who takes a picture of Devastator who doesn't show it to anyone.












I can see no way this could possibly backfire.

Unicron 2015-01-30 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyquake87 (Post 746033)
Wow. Is it that important to the big boards in the news stakes that they're now offering rewards for exclusive use of illicit long range, out of focus pictures of things that may be in the public interest.

To the best of my knowledge, it's only the one site offering a bounty. That's why I'm hoping people are taking the opportunity to troll them with pics of previous Devastators, 3rd party figures, customs, bad photoshops, etc. I feel like if this practice is allowed to become something that is reasonable-ish to do, Hasbro is going to tighten up reveals even more and we're going to know/see even less of future stuff in advance.

Quote:

I'm hopeful he'll keep the electronics. Previous reissues of Omega Supreme and Sky Lynx kept the electrics.
Omega Supreme and Sky Lynx were 're-issues' done by Takara, who don't have Hasbro's history of chopping smokestacks and screwing with the missile launchers.
Also, they were actually those toys' first release in Japan under the TF name, so gutting the electronics would have been pretty bad.

Denyer 2015-01-30 08:58 PM

Yeah, Hasbro are altogether decent and generous sorts, and paparazzi style tactics to get a reveal slightly early is antagonism for no good reason.

numbat 2015-01-30 10:26 PM

Hasbro will reveal toys when they're good and ready. Doesn't make them available any sooner. Folk need to chill. :)

Ryan F 2015-02-01 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffjumper (Post 746025)
All these years and Ryan's still absolute ****ing vermin.

I should put this as my sig...

Knightdramon 2015-02-02 01:31 PM

Clear pic is out. Seibertron can shove that 50 USD bill down his a&& for all I care.

Listings for the white CW Prime repaint, wave 3 and 4 are out, as well as a listing for a voyager Cyclonus.

People are going mental that it's going to be a Silverbolt repaint, but I'm hopeful it's a brand new mould. If anything, Megatron and the other leaders prove that you can be in the CW area and not have to combine with anything.

Ryan F 2015-02-02 06:57 PM

I'm not really up to date with the news, but are any of the smaller figures designed to plug into the Prime mould's chest cavity and fill in that gap? There are two pegs there, after all...

Denyer 2015-02-02 07:02 PM

Going to link this rather than embed...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...vealed-181987/

Get the feeling it might not be the main head? Looks okay-ish, but nowhere near as nice as this simplified 3P KO, which is available for about forty quid shipped;

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...-hercules.html

Denyer 2015-02-02 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan F (Post 746103)
I'm not really up to date with the news, but are any of the smaller figures designed to plug into the Prime mould's chest cavity and fill in that gap? There are two pegs there, after all...

You can apparently peg a whole bunch of stuff on;

http://i.imgur.com/tuv52Ul.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tuv52Ul.jpg

Clay 2015-02-02 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denyer (Post 746104)
Going to link this rather than embed...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...vealed-181987/

Get the feeling it might not be the main head?

His head is tiny.

I mean, I get that they're going for a wider appeal by keeping the whole thing on the simple and blocky side, but at the same time if this is their $150 big item for the year, it could use some tweaking in proportions.

Warcry 2015-02-02 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan F (Post 746103)
I'm not really up to date with the news, but are any of the smaller figures designed to plug into the Prime mould's chest cavity and fill in that gap? There are two pegs there, after all...

If I recall right, those pegs are the same size as the Legends-class guys' hands, so technically any one of them could be pressed into service as Prime's chest plate. Whether they actually look good or not is a different question, though.

I think Windcharger is the one that's "meant" to go with him, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay (Post 746109)
His head is tiny.

I mean, I get that they're going for a wider appeal by keeping the whole thing on the simple and blocky side, but at the same time if this is their $150 big item for the year, it could use some tweaking in proportions.

What struck me right off the bat was how out of place Mixmaster looks. Everyone else looks very, very G1 for better or worse, and then there's Devastator's left leg looking like big chunks of it have been carved off.

Aside from that I think it looks really good, and actually a step above Superion or Menasor's combined modes. But at that price, and considering how ridiculously big a six-Voyager combiner is bound to be, I can't see myself buying one.

Skyquake87 2015-02-02 09:19 PM

The Head on Devy looks like a flat panel :( I think I need to see some better pics of the thing. He looks badly posed, like his back's arched and he's staggering a bit, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

On the face of it, not as impressive as Superion is shaping up to be (Air Raid can't arrive soon enough for me - Drag Strip looks so out of place and his mustard yellow really doesn't sit well with the reds and whites everyone else has going on). The hands on Devastator look much better though.

Denyer 2015-02-02 10:19 PM

Might wait for Hasbro Slingshot to show up before cracking open the rest of the Aerialbots apart from Alpha Bravo, if there's more of an official confirmation he is definitely coming...

numbat 2015-02-03 01:12 PM

At least it looks like the individual Constructicons have robot modes.

I'll need to see more and better pictures - that one is terribly posed! Are the forearms and hands hollow? That would be disappointing.

And what is going on with Mixmaster's design? I hope Takara do a better deco of the figure, but I'm not sure that will mitigate the design issues for me.

On the otherhand, I'm actually very keen on a combiner made of six Voyagers. So long as it looks good...

This is the first Combiner Wars figure that I've had any potential interest in (other than Legends Powerglide and Bombshell who I like as individual G1 homages, without interest in any combining opportunities) - and I am actually surprised by this given how much I dislike the majority of the Combiner Wars designs. But that potential interest could easily evaporate with better photos, and photos of the individual robot modes.

I'm really quite disappointed by Combiner Wars thusfar... But I seem to be in the minority. Right enough though, they look great for kids and that should always be the target audience for mainstream figures. :)

Skyquake87 2015-02-03 07:07 PM

Mixmaster does look odd. The drum seems back to front and the cab of the truck seems very small, almost like he's some tractor-trailer affair.

@numbat - I can understand that. As much as I love my aerialbots, there's a definite simplicity to the figures. They're no way near as flash as what some Third Party companies are offering at the moment and I think from an adult collector POV, they can seem ... lacking by comparison. On the plus side, you've got a bunch of fun, easy to change toys that feel pretty solid and durable and do a good job of mixing the old Special Teams aesthetic to modern engineering. I will agree that Menasor looks awful (largely due to the slightly poo Motormaster).


...Just looking at that picture again. What an inglorious contribution Windcharger (?) makes there. Does Optimus really need a jock strap made out of one of his troops? Wouldn't like that duty...


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.