TFARCHIVE

TFARCHIVE (http://tfarchive.com/community/index.php)
-   Transformers Toys & Merch (http://tfarchive.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   NEWEST ACQUISITIONS! (http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?t=44409)

Cliffjumper 2011-03-23 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warcry (Post 701828)
Certainly no more so than Prowl, Jazz, Hound and Skids were in the 80s.

Which is pretty damn similar, right? Though I'd argue that Skids and Hound both have a significantly different upper body transformation to Jazz/Prowl even if the end result has some similarities... The upper body transformation for Hubcap and Windcharger is basically identical apart from Hubcap's neck tucking away a little bit more. Those legs are neat, though.

Hubcap, IMO, would have been better served as Big Daddy, basically knobbing the vehicle mode scheme from Super Couper, but with Big Daddy's orange robot bits. It's not so much that he's the same colour as Windcharger on his own terms, more that the idea of a flat red hot rod is a bit dull. Plus it would have been better than that nearly-awesome but ultimately strange Big Daddy With Wheeljack's Head.

That said, while it's not a get-out-of-jail-free card, both represent a quantum leap in Scouts from ROTF. I loved, and still do love, the ROTF toyline for the most part, but the Scouts were a real weak area - Dead End (and of course the extra-shit Nightbeat redeco), Depthcharge, Ejector, Scalpel, Rollbar, Dune Runner, Dart - all terrible figures, only Ransack was any good, and the size class didn't really seem to have much point to it (especially at the expense of the lovely Real Gear figures). These two at least are a step in the right direction - even if everything else on the peg with Windcharger looked very unappealing.

Warcry 2011-03-23 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffjumper (Post 701829)
Which is pretty damn similar, right? Though I'd argue that Skids and Hound both have a significantly different upper body transformation to Jazz/Prowl even if the end result has some similarities... The upper body transformation for Hubcap and Windcharger is basically identical apart from Hubcap's neck tucking away a little bit more. Those legs are neat, though.

I can see where you're coming from, but I think the drastically-different vehicle modes makes them pretty distinctive even with similar robot-mode layouts -- this goes for both the '84 crowd and the newer toys, actually. I think the improved articulation on modern toys makes it a smidge harder to make them distinctive, though. I don't have a Hound, but I do have Prowl, Jazz and Skids and each of them have an extra layer of 'uniqueness' to me because they've got different joints in robot mode and that made playing with each of them a different experience. Hubcap and Windcharger just have ball-joints everywhere, and even though that makes them better toys it means they don't have as much 'personality' as the old stuff.

Quote:

Hubcap, IMO, would have been better served as Big Daddy, basically knobbing the vehicle mode scheme from Super Couper, but with Big Daddy's orange robot bits. It's not so much that he's the same colour as Windcharger on his own terms, more that the idea of a flat red hot rod is a bit dull. Plus it would have been better than that nearly-awesome but ultimately strange Big Daddy With Wheeljack's Head.

Actually, that's pretty close to what Hubcap's redeco is going to be. A black car with orange or yellow flames, anyway -- don't think we've gotten a really good up-close look yet.

Quote:

These two at least are a step in the right direction - even if everything else on the peg with Windcharger looked very unappealing.

Well, if your stores' stock is anything like mine everything on the shelf with Windcharger is a redeco of an ROTF Scout anyway, aside from that ****ing awful Insecticon. So that explains that.

Then again, I thought ROTF was a real step forward compared to previous Scout-sized stuff. I found it to be extremely hit-or-miss, but still better than anything we've seen in the size class since...well, since Beast Wars actually. I don't think they'd quite gotten the hang of making toys that complex at the Scout price point, but unlike Energon and Cybertron at least they were trying.

I dunno if I'd say they've gotten that much better since ROTF, though. Hubcap, Windcharger and Breacher all impressed me over the last year, but on the other hand they've pumped out a mountain of dreadful-to-middling Scouts under the Power Core Combiners banner. The only thing that's changed is that they've helpfully branded the awful ones differently from the OK-to-good ones so you know what not to buy.

Cliffjumper 2011-03-23 09:31 PM

I don't think I've looked at PCC combiners since the first picture or two surfaced. UT-looking rubbish.

Didn't know there was a redeco of Hubcap (Sizzle, please!). Bugger, would have held off if I had! :)

That's a fair point re: the capabilities of the robot modes, and I do think it's cost the line a little... personality. While they're not signs of a playable figure exactly there's something about, say, Sideswipe's big flat chest or Sunstreaker's big chunky feet or Skids' elbowless arms that are part of them, in some ways more than the headcasts are. I mean, if the G1 line has a strength compared to the others, it's the variety involved in the figures - often (and there are exceptions to this, like the Throttlebots and Aerialbots) there's a distinct attempt to make transformations a lot more varied, whereas now there seem to be set templates for some vehicles (cars are often a variation on the Datsun pattern, the Valkyrie transformation seems to be on 9 out of 10 jets, most helicopters have the cockpit chest and fuselage legs, and so on).

Between the finite number of ways to transform cars, a lack of imagination from the design team and the recent lines' habit of retooling everything (hello Alternators!), some design features - like a car bonnet chest - just aren't the touch-stones they used to be. To me, Windcharger especially sums this up - change that head, and he could be any car Transformer. If he'd had, say, Bumblebee's head and been put out as Bumblebee, no-one would be going "Hey, you know who this guy reminds me of? Windcharger!".

Warcry 2011-03-23 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffjumper (Post 701832)
I don't think I've looked at PCC combiners since the first picture or two surfaced. UT-looking rubbish.

Where are you when I'm looking at stuff in the toy aisle? I'd save so much money. :(

On the other hand, I've had more fun giving the line terrible reviews than I've gotten from most of the Movie toys I own, so there's that at least.

Quote:

Didn't know there was a redeco of Hubcap (Sizzle, please!). Bugger, would have held off if I had! :)

I might well have too, just so I wouldn't have two red Scout cars side-by-side on the shelf.

Quote:

I mean, if the G1 line has a strength compared to the others, it's the variety involved in the figures - often (and there are exceptions to this, like the Throttlebots and Aerialbots) there's a distinct attempt to make transformations a lot more varied, whereas now there seem to be set templates for some vehicles (cars are often a variation on the Datsun pattern, the Valkyrie transformation seems to be on 9 out of 10 jets, most helicopters have the cockpit chest and fuselage legs, and so on).

This is a sad truth. The best thing about the Movies in my book is that they push the envelope a bit and force the designers to develop different ways of doing things. Even if they don't always work out, at least it forces them to think outside the box and learn new tricks that they can apply to future designs.

Quote:

Between the finite number of ways to transform cars, a lack of imagination from the design team and the recent lines' habit of retooling everything (hello Alternators!), some design features - like a car bonnet chest - just aren't the touch-stones they used to be. To me, Windcharger especially sums this up - change that head, and he could be any car Transformer. If he'd had, say, Bumblebee's head and been put out as Bumblebee, no-one would be going "Hey, you know who this guy reminds me of? Windcharger!".

Maybe it's because I wasn't around in the beginning of G1, but less-important early characters like Windcharger are lucky if I can pick out more than one or two points of recognition. In his case there's "trapezoid head", "ribbed-window legs" and "red car". So as long as a figure has all three, it's Windcharger enough for me. And even with a different head and colour scheme I think the legs are distinctive enough to make me think of the guy.

On the other hand, do the same thing sort for someone who I'm more familiar with -- like Blurr or Rumble -- and it leaves me cold.

Savannahtron 2011-03-24 11:13 AM

I have been doing a lot of other stuff lately, but I finally bought the 2010 Predaking release. Have to say, it is not bad. I picked up the Bumblebee classics re-release, Hot Rod vs Cyclonus classics re-release, and HA Jazz. Have to say, I only opened Predaking, put him together once. The box is meh...for the price point, they could have used better quality materials for the box, and when you take it out, not matter how carefully you align the figures in the plastic, the box still will not close flush.

Notabot 2011-03-24 03:29 PM

I finally found Wreck-Gar, Tracks, and Perceptor at Target. Still haven't seen Scourge, Wheeljack, or Thundercracker, but I know if I'm patient, they'll show up. I haven't had a chance to open any of my new finds yet. They'll serve as nice Lent stress-relievers.

Rookwise 2011-03-24 07:27 PM

Henkei Astrotrain arrived today. Had this one before but it was very loose and ended up damaged. Unfortunately this one has a few loose bits but not as many as my previous one. Still a nice figure and prefer the colours over the Classics version.

Hopefully Classics Ramjet will be here tomorrow or Saturday and Generations Dirge is now on its way to me thanks to Notabots help :-)

No more ft's for me this month as I gotta sort repairs out on my car which is also gonna cost me a fair amount :-(

glazios 2011-03-24 09:53 PM

Hey, guys.

Ani. Leader Bulkhead arrived today, much to my mother's wrath. Awesome figure, and for 15 w/ free postage, can't go wrong! Thinking of doing the hand mod, but I'm not sure, might just leave it as-is... Hmm...

Also, visited the TRU in Cardiff Bay today while I was in the big city. Didn't pick anything up, but I did do a list of what they have on the shelves there right now. See below.

Cardiff TRU Stock

Power Core Combiners
2-Packs - 8.99
- Searchlight
- Sledge
- Leadfoot
- Icepick
5-Packs - 19.99
- Stakeout/Protectobots
- Crankcase/Destrons

Deluxe - 9.97
HFTD
- Axor
- Rescue Ratchet
- Ironhide
- Tuner Skids
RTS
- Wreck-Gar
- Perceptor
- Bumblebee
- Battle In Space 2-pack - 19.99

Voyager
Animated - 9.99
- Blitzwing
- Wreck-Gar
- Shockwave (standard/grey release)
ROTF - 14.99
- Optimus Prime

Leader
HFTD - 39.99
- Battle Hooks Prime
- Starscream

How the cheeky $%"&ers can get away with charging current-line prices on now-defunct lines, I'll never figure out, but if anyone wants to fork it out, I say whatever floats your boat. Blitzwing was tempting, admittedly, and if Shockers had been the purple variant, I'd definately have snapped him up, but alas, I was half-skint and didn't want to blow all my weekend cash. _

Hope this was useful for some of you, and if I'm posting it in the wrong thread, PM me and let me know; just thought this might be useful for someone. Also, if anyone's interested any aquiring any of the above, let me know and I'd be willing to pick it up and ship it on at cost. Best to PM me about that, I think, though.

Peace out, guys!

Thunderwave 2011-03-25 01:44 AM

Random stop at Target today to pick up a mouse (that's a story for another day), and I picked up RTS Perceptor and Wreck-Gar.

Perceptor was a little annoying to get into robot mode, but once there he holds together pretty well. No real problems with his backpack and his legs locked into place for me just fine. Don't really mind the vehicle mode, but I bought him to stand there and look like Perceptor, so that's what he is going to do.

Wreck-Gar, however, is full of win. His vehicle mode is kind of silly with his face peeking out from the bottom of the bike, but other then that it's a pretty nice alt mode. His robot mode just looks like a thug made out of random stuff found in a junk yard...like a Transformers version of a Platypus.

glazios 2011-03-25 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderwave (Post 701876)
...His vehicle mode is kind of silly with his face peeking out from the bottom of the bike...

Every time I hear that I think, 'You can turn that head around, y'know...' and indeed you can. I do, and it does work... Doesn't hurt the beard, either. =]

Rookwise 2011-03-25 08:48 PM

Decided I was fed up of being house bound (still using crutches) and decided we would take the kids for a walk with the weather being nice. Ended up in tru. They had shelves full of animated, rotf, pcc, robot heros but the only RTS figures were Voyagers. Namely 3 shelves (approx 38) of Lugnuts, 7 Strafes and 3 Grapples. Wasnt too bothered in buying and and was just going to buy a game. Was suprised when the missus came to me with a Grapple she had bought me.
Have opened Grapple and first thought was why was the crane left on the forearm? Legs are loose at the hips as well. Side profile reminds me of rts legends trailbreaker with it being flat.
Grapples transformation is almost identical to his g1 model (pull waist back, tuck feet in, bring arms back over legs to rear) apart from a few extra small pannels to unfold.
Overall Grapples not bad but nothing special.

Classics Ramjet also arrived adding to my seekers. Once dirge gets here the coneheads will be complete and put with Straxus (which is who they first appeared with in the Marvel uk comics smelting pool story).

glazios 2011-03-25 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookwise (Post 701901)
...Ended up in tru. They had shelves full of animated, rotf, pcc, robot heros but the only RTS figures were Voyagers. Namely 3 shelves (approx 38) of Lugnuts, 7 Strafes and 3 Grapples...

Well dammit-all, then... Why the hell are they taking so long to filter down to Cardiff? _ *sulks*

Rookwise 2011-03-27 10:09 PM

Couldnt resist and made an impulse bid on ebay for a loose,100 complete inc instructions Universe Starscream and won. Came to 33 all in. Best of it the same seller also had a Classics Starscream which went for just 10.60 :wall: although it had another hour to go and I prefer the Universe version. Quest for the seekers is now complete apart for an Acid Storm and Sunstorm. A leader is needed though instead of Universe CAC Galvatron. Perhaps a United Megatron next month.

The Reverend 2011-03-27 11:56 PM

I got G1 Squeezeplay the other day. Pink-and-blue xenomorph-like "crab monster". Kind of like a smaller version of Repugnus, except that the creature arms are actually long enough to threaten passing Autobots with its claws.

(And the fact that the slot for the Headmaster to attach in robot mode also happens to be squarely in the creature mode's posterior is pretty funny in a third-grade sort of way)

glazios 2011-03-28 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reverend (Post 701967)
(And the fact that the slot for the Headmaster to attach in robot mode also happens to be squarely in the creature mode's posterior is pretty funny in a third-grade sort of way)

Asshat, maybe?

... ... ... No? Anyone?

Sorry, couldn't resist. And you can't tell me that didn't earn at least a chuckle out of some of you...

Rookwise 2011-03-28 01:01 PM

So Squeezeplay has to squeeze his head up his butt :-P
Still its similar to RTS Lugnut's MFOD (missile fart of doom) seeing as where his missile is stored which also seems to have a very sensitive trigger causing him to fire off accidently.

Denyer 2011-03-28 01:06 PM

Fifty pages (do people really read with fewer than the maximum number of posts per page once logged in?) isn't really that much...

The Reverend 2011-03-28 01:40 PM

Well, after Mainframe's packaging diagram indicating his groin as containing a "Particle Eliminator", I thought I'd had all the toilet humor I was going to get from Tranformers. (And I am not a man who turns his nose up at toilet humor.)

But then Squeezeplay came along, and well, now I just want to rewrite his Tech Specs to include a line about how the connection for his Headmaster partner is unreliable at best because of constant foreign particle accumulation...

glazios 2011-03-28 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookwise (Post 701985)
So Squeezeplay has to squeeze his head up his butt :-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reverend (Post 701995)
But then Squeezeplay came along, and well, now I just want to rewrite his Tech Specs to include a line about how the connection for his Headmaster partner is unreliable at best because of constant foreign particle accumulation...

Well, the whole 'Headmaster port = Monster mode As$' thing kinda re-defines the phrase "Tear his head off and sh--

No... I'm not even gonna finish that one... That's what they call a joke in bad taste... :P

The Reverend 2011-03-28 09:49 PM

I suppose it doesnt help matters that in robot mode, Squeezeplay's xenomorph/crab monster head is dangling off his robot ass... the poor guy.