TFARCHIVE

TFARCHIVE (http://tfarchive.com/community/index.php)
-   New Comics (http://tfarchive.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #32 (http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?t=53440)

zigzagger 2014-08-15 12:50 AM

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #32

2 Attachment(s)
Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #32 three-page preview by way of iTunes.

Blackjack 2014-08-15 02:08 AM

Nothing overtly spectacular, but it's just three pages.

Future Lost Light! Anyone betting that we're having a Target 2006 style time travel displacement thing going on? Except why only the original crew was displaced...

zigzagger 2014-08-15 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackjack (Post 742075)
Nothing overtly spectacular, but it's just three pages.

Yeah, I read... somewhere (?) that Roberts structures the scripts for each issue in such a way so that little can be spoiled in the previews. Just enough to whet the appetite.

Think that's a recent thing, though. I recall the previews for issues #5 and #15 being especially spoilerific.

Quote:

Future Lost Light! Anyone betting that we're having a Target 2006 style time travel displacement thing going on?
Mmm, I'm leaning toward the quantum duplicate theory myself.

And quite possibly...

SPOILER! (select to read)
that a certain phase-sixer is causing trouble among the wreckage.

Blackjack 2014-08-15 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigzagger (Post 742076)
Yeah, I read... somewhere (?) that Roberts structures the scripts for each issue in such a way so that little can be spoiled in the previews. Just enough to whet the appetite.

Ah, that would be excellent! Though both the RID and MTMTE previews this time around are not that spoilerific but indeed do, as you say, whet the appetite.

Quote:

that a certain phase-sixer is causing trouble among the wreckage.

Sixshot!

Oh, Overlord you say? Man... I mean, I like Overlord and all, but I want to see Sixshot back.

Terome 2014-08-15 03:13 PM

We are heading for the Rob Grant solo era of Red Dwarf references...

Unicron 2014-08-15 03:43 PM

Yeah, my money is on the quantum duplicate thing still. If it was just a just a Target 2006 time displacement thing, then why did only the original ship and crew vanish? And why did they only vanish in this short time frame when that wreck looks like it's been there a while.

I'd bet the 'from the future' stuff is a result of this wrecked Lost Light not having been through the temporal shenanigans of Dark Cybertron. All of time or whatever was being pulled in to Cybertron, who knows what that did to the time frame of the rest of the universe that wasn't at Cybertron when it happened.

Terome 2014-08-15 03:57 PM

Mmm, I think the future timeline is a red herring. Something stranger is at work here.

Nice to have Milne back. That is a gorgeous spread.

Blackjack 2014-08-16 01:21 PM

Ah, I got it.

It's the damned briefcase, isn't it? I bet someone opened it and created some ridiculous quantum space time hijinks.

ALSO WHAT DO YOU MEAN THIS ISSUE IS COMING OUT IN EARLY SEPTEMBER

Unicron 2014-08-16 02:46 PM

Schedule on the Wiki (which is usually correct, eventually) has it listed for the 27th currently

Knightdramon 2014-08-17 05:51 PM

I think this issue is massively over hyped. Too much for its own good.

Only other issues I can think of, with similar hype, were 12 and 15. And both were very misleading as to what was "promised" and was was on page, content wise.

Still, looks like proper Alien meets Dead Space meets transformers. Re-read 28-31 today in anticipation of it.

zigzagger 2014-08-26 03:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The full preview is now up @ Issuu.

Unicron 2014-08-26 06:11 PM

Interesting, Nautica refers to Ravage as a 'she' while everyone else uses 'he'. I wonder if that's going to get called out or if it's just a quickly corrected assumption on Nautica's part.

And Roberts continues the trend with these previews: Interesting, raises further questions while not actually answering any previous ones.

Last panel on page 5, is that Nightbeat being surprised at Nautica's alt mode?

Terome 2014-08-27 11:03 AM

I am on it like vomit.

SPOILERS AHOY

Goodness me! A really good ghost ship story, plenty of horrible things to see and consider, a cracking sequence where Megatron talks to Ravage and is actually unguarded and honest for the first time and a genuine mystery which is looking to resemble quite closely the TFW2005 theory we've been talking about.

Things I'm thinking about:
We didn't see Chromedome's corpse although every other main character seems to be accounted for (except possibly Rung... Whirl's on the cover, which took on a very different tone after the reveal. We're seeing their desperate last stand.)

There is no way Rewind is getting out of this alive. My bet is that he'll be reverted with everybody else.

We didn't see whether Tailgate had 'Bomb' or 'Waste' written on him but I'd bet it's 'Bomb.'

How then did the DJD know about Magnus? And how did the Autobots keep the whole thing a secret from Megatron when it took Ravage about a second to rumble it?

Brainstorm's briefcase! It's an Undo button, isn't it? It shunts you a few seconds backwards in time like in the finale of Futurama. That's a good source of comedic shennanigans. I wonder how many times he's used it already.

Who are we seeing in alt-mode in that scene? It's hard to do when we haven't seen a lot of these guys transform before and they have faded colours. Huffer? Landmine? Is that Brainstorm? Wait... Pipes?

That panel with Ratchet, Drift and Hound gets worse and worse the more I look at it - they made Drift stab Hound, impaled him with his own Great Sword, presumably while Ratchet watched. Then presumably Helex had him eat his own brain. Definitely Rob Grant territory.

Fodder for the Tumblr crowd - Nightbeat and Nautica, 'Stormy,' etc.

Soundwave sent Ravage to assassinate Megatron. Soundwave is very upset. But I am glad that we're told outright that Galvatron is being used. That seems to be his lot in life.

An interesting titbit about Megatron's body not having any 'bite' with his spark.

'Morphing addiction' - yuck.

All in all, great issue. Firing on all cylinders. I'm very warmed up to the new colours - this was a great showcase for Lafuente.

I'm also quite fond of Riptide now.

tahukanuva 2014-08-27 01:26 PM

I didn't even realise how tense this issue had me until I finished and let out the breath I'd been involuntarily holding. This was my first 'horror' issue since I'd started reading (I jumped on with the last issue of Remain in Light) so I finally get to join the rest of you in being impressed with how easily this comic shifts into entirely different genres.

Skyquake87 2014-08-27 01:39 PM

Agreed, all kinds of horribleness on show here and a very tense issue, strangely (i think that comes from too many horror films and always expecting something horrible to happen just around the corner). Definite time-skip problems...may be this is what the warning message all the way back in # 1 was all about..? Things definitely have gone screwy with time with the DJD aggressively boarding the ship and doing horrible things - maybe they also damaged the engines causing all the time leaking webs.. Milne's art was awesome and Joanna's colours were fantastic and she really pushed the boat out on this issue. Brilliant stuff

Can't believe I actually managed to pick this up on the day of release :)

zigzagger 2014-08-27 02:49 PM

Sadly, I have to run off to work here shortly, so little time to chit-chat.

I will say that someone at TFW gets a cookie, as the quantum duplicate thingy is shaping up to be accurate for the most part. I get minus one cookie, though. Overlord isn't causing havoc as I suspected.

But he's there. He's just missing his head, is all.

Some chilling images and I loved Megatron and Ravage's conversation. It's insight we rarely see -- with both characters, really. Just a wonderful moment.

I'll be back later when I actually have a moment. There's a lot to process here.

Terome 2014-08-27 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigzagger (Post 742399)
Some chilling images and I loved Megatron and Ravage's conversation. It's insight we rarely see -- with both characters, really. Just a wonderful moment.

It's the real highlight of the issue. The horror stuff is fun and well done but isn't outstandingly special.

Have to hand it to Roberts for this - he's found the best way to have the DJD be included in a way that shows off how scary and horrible they are without incurring diminishing returns by having them fail. It does lead me to wonder why he dragged his feet so long in siccing them on Shockwave, who he never seemed to be terribly fond of, but whatever.
Though I understand the narrative convention of having them kill everybody without too much trouble, there's a fannish corner of my mind that protests at the idea they were able to mow down the likes of Ultra Magnus, Whirl and Cyclonus so easily. And Brainstorm would definitely have let Overlord out if he'd had the chance.

Anyway, Roberts is going to have to kill the DJD next time they show up. That will solidify them nicely.

And hey, Megatron personally trained these psychos. He must have been in a bleak mood that century. Maybe in between one of his 'wobbles.'

Denyer 2014-08-27 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terome (Post 742391)
Brainstorm's briefcase! It's an Undo button, isn't it? It shunts you a few seconds backwards in time like in the finale of Futurama. That's a good source of comedic shennanigans. I wonder how many times he's used it already.

The "natural" flow seems to be a countdown of 8 to 1, and the panels as printed are 8-7-6-1-3-4-5-2.

6 is an open action, jump back 5.

1 is a close action, which apparently causes time to flow backwards 3-4-5 until it reaches the previous point.

We seem to be privy to all of the steps, but are they?

inflatable dalek 2014-08-27 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terome (Post 742097)
We are heading for the Rob Grant solo era of Red Dwarf references...

Doug Naylor, Last Human was the one where they find their own ship smashed and with their alternate counterparts killed in the most horrible ways. Grant's Backwards was the one where the Cat rips apart a woman's vagina with his covered-in-sharp-nasty-spikes penis. In reverse. Maybe Ravage will be doing that next month?

Though James Roberts [CLANG] has told me off on Twitter, pointing out he doesn't base everything he writes on Red Dwarf.

The set up is also very like the TNG episode Time Squared, albeit with a completely different execution and future Picard being found in a shuttle rather than a coffin. Don't tell Roberts I said that though.

That was a damn good Ravage scene, nice to see the excellent work Barber did with the character (in one of the few highlights of the pre-Dark Cybertron run of RID) is being carried on here to great effect.

Interesting that what is going on is seemingly what everyone predicted was going on, meaning that we're actually more on the ball than the characters are for once, but the grizzly death of everyone stuff was very, very nicely done and heartbreaking and squimish all at the same time.

If there's a shame, it's that after the Mulder and Scully spoofing X-Files cover, Nightbeat didn't really get to do much detectoring (basically just noticing what was right in front of him rather than any amazing deductive work), but that's sadly standard fare for Nightbeat so that can't detract from a very good issue.

Terome 2014-08-27 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denyer (Post 742409)
The "natural" flow seems to be a countdown of 8 to 1, and the panels as printed are 8-7-6-1-3-4-5-2.

6 is an open action, jump back 5.

1 is a close action, which apparently causes time to flow backwards 3-4-5 until it reaches the previous point.

We seem to be privy to all of the steps, but are they?

Good charting! Might we be treated to a nasty sequence where Brainstorm opens the briefcase too late and is rewound through his terrible fate however many times?

From the dialogue, Nightbeat and Nautica seem to be completely unaware of anything happening. Nightbeat would surely have noticed something odd but there is the distraction of Tailgate's body in play.

Quote:

Doug Naylor, Last Human was the one where they find their own ship smashed and with their alternate counterparts killed in the most horrible ways. Grant's Backwards was the one where the Cat rips apart a woman's vagina with his covered-in-sharp-nasty-spikes penis. In reverse. Maybe Ravage will be doing that next month?
Oh yeah! I was thinking of all the stuff with the Aganoids and the pretty agonising deaths in the Gunmen of the Apocalypse section but had forgotten the very similar plot in Last Human. I don't like Last Human very much.

And did you know that it isn't just cats that have penises covered in claws? That's a pretty common trait in mammals. That's the kind of stuff they teach you when you're getting a biology degree.