TFARCHIVE

TFARCHIVE (http://tfarchive.com/community/index.php)
-   Transformers News & Rumours (http://tfarchive.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   IDW Sins of the Wreckers comic cover (http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?t=54386)

Denyer 2015-07-11 10:55 PM

IDW Sins of the Wreckers comic cover

Presumably a sequel mini-series. Cool beans.

https://twitter.com/NickRoche/status...820928/photo/1

http://i.imgur.com/Rpx64Sg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Rpx64Sg.jpg

zigzagger 2015-07-12 01:14 AM

When?

Need to know. NOW.

I've missed Roche, and I've missed his Wreckers. Waiting on more details, but I'm totally on board :up:

Stakeout seems like the usual out of the left field choice (which about describes all Wreckers), but who's the little yellow guy? Hubcap?

EDIT:

Ah. It's set to kick off in November.

inflatable dalek 2015-07-12 02:22 AM

Death's Head has known about this since February! I had a drink with Death's Head the same week Roche told him about this and he kept stum and was all "Yeah, I was hanging around with Nick Roche. AND HE SAID NOTHING OF SIGNIFICANCE. Except when I said I was coming for a drink with you and he said he was very sorry for me"

We can no longer trust Death's Head, when he's told things in confidence he'll keep it confident!

My own reaction... you know that "Permission to Squee!"' moment in Who last year that was clearly there just for people to create internet memes from? Consider me memed.

Cliffjumper 2015-07-12 05:09 AM

EXCITED

EXCITED

Arcee...

Eh.

inflatable dalek 2015-07-12 05:37 AM

You put up with Verity, you can handle Arcee.

zigzagger 2015-07-12 05:54 AM

**shrugs**

I'm not especially stoked about her inclusion, but I suppose she'd be right at home with a title like this.

So much to speculate though! Like the distinct lack of Guzzle on the cover. Or the circumstances that brought Roadbuster back into the fold.

He's been tending over Springer though, so I guess that's not much of a stretch. Still... that's, like, a quarter of the old gang and that prospect makes me feel all tingly inside.

Rack 'n Ruin 2015-07-12 08:12 AM

Is that small yellow guy Glitch? As in, part of Orion Pax's pre-war gang of freedom fighters Glitch?

Auntie Slag 2015-07-12 10:38 AM

Same reaction as Cliffjumper to seeing Arcee, but I can't help but feel they suspect a lot of the readers may feel the same way. Maybe they see it as a challenge to make something decent out of her character?

I reckon the little guy walking beside Roadbuster is Hubcap. It would tie in as Pipes was sending him letters from the Lost Light, Pipes was killed by Overlord and the Wreckers aren't best buddies with Overlord either. Would make for a nice payback link, of sorts... because there's speculation that Overlord isn't dead!

And next to Springer is a green pulse line showing a faint bit of movement! C'mon Springer, he's been out of action as long as Sunstreaker was in the original G1 comics, surely!

Death's Head 2015-07-12 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inflatable dalek (Post 750469)
Death's Head has known about this since February! I had a drink with Death's Head the same week Roche told him about this and he kept stum and was all "Yeah, I was hanging around with Nick Roche. AND HE SAID NOTHING OF SIGNIFICANCE. Except when I said I was coming for a drink with you and he said he was very sorry for me"

We can no longer trust Death's Head, when he's told things in confidence he'll keep it confident!

:lol:

Terome 2015-07-12 12:21 PM

Good.

More Roche more Wreckers.

Good.

Thunderwave 2015-07-12 12:31 PM

My wife just asked what that noise was.

I'm looking forward to this to say the least.

Rack 'n Ruin 2015-07-12 02:28 PM

I'm very happy to see this is coming. Looks like the duplicate Aequitas (sp?) data slug Ironfist gave to Verity is going to be crucial to this. I guess the titular "Sins" are recorded thereon.

Anyone else think Verity looks Cosmos-esque there? Green parka, yellowish face, red hat...

Auntie Slag 2015-07-12 03:08 PM

Intriguing title too. I wonder if this will continue in feeling like an 18 film? I mean, when you compare the tone of Wreckers to MTMTE the former is darker, nastier late night Hollyoaks edition of MTMTE.

Really looking forward to Roadbuster, and perhaps finding out the true fate of Rack 'n Ruin. Excellent attention to detail on the artwork as well; isn't that Kup's original gun from the G1 toy?

Oh god, and Valve (and Crest!) There's never going to be enough of this. I hope he gets the chance to put a text story or two in!

Also, is the robot in the bottom right of the panel the police car parked outside the cafe that Verity was writing in? (last panel of LSotW).

Rack 'n Ruin 2015-07-12 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Slag (Post 750485)
...finding out the true fate of Rack 'n Ruin.

I've been here, tormenting Sades. ;)

Text stories might be in the eventual hardcover (please, IDW). This series is one I will buy issue by issue, and then I'll buy the purdy book when it comes along.

Auntie Slag 2015-07-12 03:35 PM

Oh yeah, there's no way i'll be able to wait for the eventual TPB this time. It was buying the TPB of Wreckers that convinced me I should be reading MTMTE.

The thing is, does Roche have the time to draw it? What with Monster Motors and other projects. If Milne were to be involved then he would have to take time away from MTMTE. One or both of these guys needs to have money and Pro Plus thrown at them.

Rack 'n Ruin 2015-07-12 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Slag (Post 750488)
Oh yeah, there's no way i'll be able to wait for the eventual TPB this time. It was buying the TPB of Wreckers that convinced me I should be reading MTMTE.

Ha! Me too. :)

How about Hayato Sakamoto does some more MTMTE, freeing up Milne for SOTW? I thought his recent DJD issue was one of the better art efforts from the reserve bench. Nickel wasn't drawn to my taste, but the rest was good.

Auntie Slag 2015-07-12 04:53 PM

Although it was quite a departure art-wise, I think I prefer the artist who did issue 16 (the Rewind eulogy episode). I didn't like it at first, but its a real grower. The problem I have with Nakamoto is his robots are too fat. I keep remembering the single panel page showing Deathsaurus talking to one of his underlings. It made DS look like a Tomy toy.

Cliffjumper 2015-07-12 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Slag (Post 750475)
Maybe they see it as a challenge to make something decent out of her character?

There's no challenge there. You just make her anyone who isn't a silly pink lovestruck girl or a sub-Bride psycho revenge bitch. Something decent's been done with her character in Prime where she was just, y'know, normal. The 'challenge' is not to write her totally different to 'male' characters.

Quote:

because there's speculation that Overlord isn't dead!
No way. When IDW kill a character they stay dead. Sometimes for whole weeks.

...Ironfist's going to be in it, isn't he?

Cyberstrike nTo 2015-07-12 07:04 PM

WOW! Nick Roche finally learned how to draw decent looking G1 Transformers. Writing wise he can easily give James Roberts a run for his money. :p:p

inflatable dalek 2015-07-12 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffjumper (Post 750494)
There's no challenge there. You just make her anyone who isn't a silly pink lovestruck girl or a sub-Bride psycho revenge bitch. Something decent's been done with her character in Prime where she was just, y'know, normal. The 'challenge' is not to write her totally different to 'male' characters.

Oddly whilst RID season 2 hasn't been up to the same standards as the best of the first, I've actually been quite liking how Arcee has been written lately, especially her back and forth banter with Galvatron. That means her presence isn't as much of an issue for me as it would have been a year or so ago.

EDIT: The news about a Livio (what seems to be) Punishment sequel basically got curb stomped by this didn't it?

Quote:

...Ironfist's going to be in it, isn't he?
I'd be amazed if there wasn't a flashback of some sort. Though Roche is actually good at keeping dead characters dead as far as I recall, there's been times he's pulled back from killing people at the last second (Springer, Guzzle), but I don't think he's ever done a resurrection.

Cliffjumper 2015-07-12 07:48 PM

TBH I'm largely with the various TV series' attitude of "some of them are just female, alright?" as any attempt to actually address the issue just takes up story space that could be used for something more interesting and also starts a slippery slope to lots of other universe-busting concepts (why do they talk again?).

I'd be open to the idea of Arcee being in this more if it was standalone or if Arcee hadn't done anything in IDW but it's inevitably going to mean mentioning her shit backstory and tainting the thing with exactly the sort of rubbish notioned above.

EDIT: Nick Roche's record of not doing resurrections would be more impressive if he'd written more than about five licensed Transformers comics; that's not a slight but it's not like you can build an accurate assessment from that sort of sample. TBH, I'd be more worried about Hasbro maybe having new Jumpstarter figures (probably CW remoulds of Fireflight and Dragstrip or something) on the decks.

inflatable dalek 2015-07-12 07:58 PM

They do see to have quietly dropped the dodgier aspects of Arcee's backstory, I can't actually recall the last time any of that was mentioned (Dark Cybertron maybe? Though I don't remember her and Jhiaxus interacting in that one). Plus at AA a couple of years ago when the panel was talking about the then forthcoming new female Autobots Roche was not subtle in suggesting he thought the entire Arcee thing was terrible whilst sat next to Alex Milne and in the same room as Furman. I doubt he'll be falling back on her prior problems, she'll just be a character with some emotional damage, same as basically everyone else who seems to be in it.

I'm more worried about Verity, a character who gives Circuit Breaker a run for her money in the "Why are the writers so much more interested in this than anyone reading the books?" stakes.

Cliffjumper 2015-07-12 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inflatable dalek (Post 750501)
I doubt he'll be falling back on her prior problems, she'll just be a character with some emotional damage, same as basically everyone else who seems to be in it.

So why not use Afterburner or Override or Camshaft? The joy of Last Stand was that so much of it was about the blank slates of Rotorstorm, Pyro, Ironfist and Guzzle.

TBH knowing Roche's comments about her origin makes me more uncertain; more likely we'll have some rescue of the character.

Terome 2015-07-12 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inflatable dalek (Post 750497)

EDIT: The news about a Livio (what seems to be) Punishment sequel basically got curb stomped by this didn't it?

I liked that news! I've got a lot of time for Punishment and Barber does Dinobots the best. Not quite sure where he's going to take them after having them roundly rejected and dismissed by Prime as being irredeemable nasty people but I've faith in the concept.

Barber seems to be taking the Hasbro bullet again if the minty lady combiner team is going to be in this. I suppose it's that sort of enthusiasm that allows stuff like Wreckers sequels to be supported.

Similarly, Roche will probably use Arcee well. But then I quite like what Barber's done with her. She's got at least two dimensions to play with nowadays. That said...

Quote:

So why not use Afterburner or Override or Camshaft? The joy of Last Stand was that so much of it was about the blank slates of Rotorstorm, Pyro, Ironfist and Guzzle.
Some more gold spun from nothing would be very welcome. The fact that there are unidentified characters on the cover is encouraging. A Roche original character would be neat too.

inflatable dalek 2015-07-13 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffjumper (Post 750506)

There was still support from names though, and at the very least we're getting Stakeout (I've no idea if he was the police car at the end of the first series, but I'll bet his prominence on the cover is at least meant to get conversation going as to if he might have been) and a yellow guy so obscure no one seems to be sure who he is.

As for why Arcee... pure speculation but Prowl was a major background player in Wreckers, and he'd certainly be the person most keen to stop that backup disc getting out there. He's currently locked up (and frankly a far more ruined character now than Arcee ever was) and Arcee spent a lot of time as his right arm. Whether that means she's working to his agenda or (more likely at this point) fighting against it, it's fairly logical she'd know Prowl's secrets and would get involved.

Quote:

TBH knowing Roche's comments about her origin makes me more uncertain; more likely we'll have some rescue of the character.
For full context, the original panel (I must have a reslisten myself actually, I suspect that post Dark Cybertron a lot of comments take on a new context): http://theunderbase.libsyn.com/the-u...dw-comic-panel

What I do remember being very obvious is that Roche (presumably because he wasn't on IDW's payroll at the time) was just the most vocal- "Alex only drew it!"- of a group of creators who all thought Arcee was a bloody awful idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terome (Post 750509)
I liked that news! I've got a lot of time for Punishment and Barber does Dinobots the best. Not quite sure where he's going to take them after having them roundly rejected and dismissed by Prime as being irredeemable nasty people but I've faith in the concept.

Yeah, that bumper issue was comfortably the best thing Barber has done this year, and with Grimlock on his way back in MTMTE (as also revealed and curb stomped by this news) it'll be interesting to see how they move things towards the reunion of the five man band.

Terome 2015-07-13 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inflatable dalek (Post 750514)

Yeah, that bumper issue was comfortably the best thing Barber has done this year, and with Grimlock on his way back in MTMTE (as also revealed and curb stomped by this news) it'll be interesting to see how they move things towards the reunion of the five man band.

Does Grimlock coming back make big news? He's been about to come back for about as long as the IDW continuity exists.

inflatable dalek 2015-08-21 09:58 AM

When revealing his AA Wreckers print on twitter Roche responded to a question asking who the yellow guy is: Tis indeed Hubcap.

That's a TFArchive exclusive! 'Cause not many people are on twitter, right?

Auntie Slag 2015-08-21 11:02 AM

I would love it if Hubcap kicks Overlord's arse (with a little help from Roadbuster and the lads) in revenge for Pipes.

Denyer 2015-08-21 11:19 AM

Moar covers.

http://i.imgur.com/ElIbcLZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ElIbcLZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CutFKlL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CutFKlL.jpg

Red Dave Prime 2015-08-21 04:02 PM

Oh. That does look good. Hype machine set to "warm"