View Single Post
Old 2004-05-23, 01:17 AM   #1
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany
Question One of the weirdest chapters in TF history: Mexican toys in Europe.

I hope some of you can help me out on that... I think most of you already know that Mexico got some really odd variations of the Transformers toys we all know. Mexican police Prowl comes to mind, or purple nose Skywarp, or blue Cliffjumper, or Gears in maroon pseudo-"Swerve" colors or "Puffer" (Huffer in pseudo-Pipes colors) or Brawn in Outback colors...

Well, thing is, some of these guys (and lots of other non-variations) were also released in parts of Europe in 1989/90 (which is several years after their Mexican release).

I know that because:
a) I remember that all of my Constructicons, my Blitzwing and my Skywarp had cards by the Mexican company IGA and with Spanish/English text
b) I still own the "purple nose" Skywarp
c) a former classmate of mine still owns the blue Cliffjuper and "Swears"
d) My Skywarp, my Constructicons, my Blitzwing, the Bumblebee I got from said former classmate and a second Bumblebee I bought from eBay Holland all have partially "blanked" copyright markings (it's the place of manufacturing that's blanked in all cases).

So it's a safe bet to say that the Mexican 1984-1986 toys were released in their Mexican packaging in either 1989 or 1990 at least in Germany and the Netherlands. Maybe other European Archivers can help me out? I won't even try to get any answers in the German Transformers "scene" since those hacks could never get off their @$$es (no offense to my fellow Germans registered here - the fact that you signed up at the Archive proves that you are NOT really part of the sad joke that considers itself the German Transfandom), but I'm sure the German, Dutch and maybe other European fans that read this might check their old toys to see a) whether they have partially "blocked" copyright markings, b) whether they are some obscure color variations or c) amybe they even remember buying them in Mexican packaging?

And the biggest question would be, of course: Why exactly were Mexican toys that were several years old suddenly mass-released across Europe? Major overstock? I mean, we're not even talking about repackaging. They were still in their original Mexican boxes/cards. Really weird.

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.

Last edited by Nevermore; 2004-05-23 at 04:09 PM.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote