View Single Post
Old 2006-03-18, 06:57 PM   #10
Ford DeceptiFocus

Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
No, but those leaps of logic and literal interpretations are sure going to help this discussion, suit, so keep 'em up NPI, of course...
Of course...what was I thinking? How could I think for a moment that you'd be wrong *eye roll*

Quote:
...wow. Erm, that's a pretty sweeping generalisation there. BW sold to a lot of kids who then went pretty much straight off it, thanks to BM. However, it outright enraged a lot of the old school fans (http://tfarchive.com/community/forum...p?s=&forumid=4 - especially the older stuff). The difference is that people who grew up watching G1 are now largely 20-somethings with disposable incomes. Those who grew up watching BW are generally younger, with less disposable money, and lots of them are at the sort of 15-16 age where they're only just coming round to the idea that its okay to like something they did when they were 6/7....
Yes, of course it's a "sweeping generalization"...if I had EXACT market data, I'd be working at Hasbro. And to be fair, your comment above was a "sweeping generalization" as well. Also, I don't know how it is in Europe, as I've only been there a few times, but in the States, pretty much every cent a 15-16 has is disposable. They don't pay rent or have a mortgage. They don't buy their own food. Etc. Etc. Of couse this is a "sweeping generalization" and I'd like to preface this as saying, "of course there are poor people in the States where young unfortunate 15-16yo's with jobs have to help support their family and I feel bad for them" for for the sake of this "sweeping generalization" let's just assume that most 15-16yo's don't have a lot of responsibility outside of attending school and picking on their siblings.

Quote:
...Lots of BW's success at the time was that it sold beyond being Transformers to general kids, just as Armada and Energon and Cybertron have done.....
Of course you are right. What late 20's/early 30's man doesn't love the hard-hitting action and social commentary in Armada and Energon. The animation is top-notch. The actors playing the human characters have won award after award for their talents and they oddly enough annoy NO ONE in fandom. It created yet another continuity which fans LOVE. Seriously, every single person I know adored Armada and Energon. I had to beat down 6 year old boys and 40 year old men at Toys R US just to get that LAST Transformers they had available to sell. Most of time they wouldn't let us get so close to the merchandise--security was very tight....

Just so we're clear...I'm being a total smart a$$. Armada & Energon for the most part was crap and we all know it. The toys sucked (with the exception of a few). Watching the cartoons was the equivalent of having sand poured into my eyes. And I at one point honestly feared that if watched one more minute of it, I was going to break down and go insane. It was like Pokemon that transformed.

Quote:
...Which would help how? Most people are aware comic stores exist, they just chose not to go to them. Comics are a shrinking market, and leaflets in toys aimed at kids for comics that seem to be aimed squarely at fans (in the case of BW... even people with relatively decent working knowledge of the BW series aren't necessarily going to pick up the BW comic and enjoy it, especially when most of the ones they recognise aren't in it).....
Dude you're killing me here. I don't know where you live, but advertising works pretty much everywhere. In the States, Target is HUGE...and everyone knows who they are...but EVERY Sunday they have a nice big pull out full-color glossy expensive ad in the paper. In the UK, they know what Virgin is, what McDonald's is, pretty much everything that we have in the States (but admittedly I wish I lived in London) but they STILL get advertising out there. It's brand retention. Keeps things fresh in consumers mind. Consumers have a SHORT attention span. Yes, they know comic books exist, but ask some people that aren't fans "What comics titles do you think are in such and such store" and they'll either say, "Batman and Superman" or "I don't know."

Quote:
...The big stumbling block is there's not a lot of money in the comic for Hasbro. It's a bit of extra profit margin for them something low-risk - as long as IDW keep paying for the license and don't totally sh*t on the property, there's ntohing that can go wrong for them. They have no reason to promote the comic when the TV series and line itself are doing well enough... the license is a product they sell to someone else. This is why companies chase the license, rather than Hasbro going from company to company with a begging bowl.).....
Naivite. Licensing is HUGE to a company's bottom line. It's as simple as that. Those that think otherwise, have never had a marketing class. "No reason?" It's call MONEY. That's the ONLY reason. Companies are NOT altruistic. In case you haven't figured it out, the CARTOON exists to PROMOTE THE TOYS. Which is why when whatever cartoon at the time is shuffled off to the 5am slot, people get mad, toy executives get pissed off, and I just laugh, because again Armada/Energon sucked.

Quote:
...Seeing as you're going on about release dates and weekly visits to comic stores, what would these flyers consist of? I'fd imagine a generic cover with "Get IDW Transformers comics monthly... please...". The ideas of release dates and weekley visits would still be there unless the flyer was changed to promote each new issue, which wouldn't even remotely work.
Well the current issue of a comic (tends to be) is monthly. So you have one month at a store to sell something that is "current". As an advertiser, I wouldn't be inclinded to promote individual issues, as we all know some toys end up being shelf sitters. The flyer only has to be 3" x 3" at most. "Read about the further adventures of the Transformers".... Show the current cast of characters from Cybertron promoting them, so kids could relate. Promote Beast Wars as, "What if your favorite animal, had a little surprise inside?" (younger kid advert.) or "Evolution Has a New Name--The Transformers: Beast Wars" I don't know...I don't have a full advertising creative team with me in bed at the moment while I type this, but you should be able to see my point.

But like I said, of course you are 100% right and this is just my humble opinion, but with you being absolutely right, that just means that I'm wrong.

Till All Are Drunk with the Matrix!
Ford DeceptiFocus is offline   Reply With Quote