View Single Post
Old 2006-06-26, 04:05 PM   #41
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
and they have scores of people going "I'm going to have to give this another 12 issues before I even begin to decide whether it's any good or not".
First off, as a general observation, that implies that a lot of people are finding the series appealing, if different.

Quote:
I think the narrative's been spun out to be TPB-friendly
Certainly, which isn't to say it doesn't work as singles. I'd also disagree over to what extent things have been extended -- the #1/#2 being one 48-page chapter is noticeable because it's chase.

Quote:
Aside from a simple change of premise (first contact is covert rather than overt) there's really been very little new about it (something which puts it alongside the first arc of the Marvel Ultimate titles, with the notable exception of the punchier Ultimates - and those arcs weren't any good on their own merit
Those I've read aren't bad, they're just not paradigm-redefiningly different. And the comparison to the Ultimate reworkings is a good fit for Infiltration, style- and content- wise. The merit (or lack of it) in this approach is left to opinion.

Quote:
if it was a film, a lot more people would be bored by now.
If it was a film, each issue would be about ten minutes, and there'd be more than enough emoting and screeching noises and explosions and giant robots to satisfy. Now, whether this makes for good value is up to the comics reader -- I generally read a trade paperback worth of issues in far less time than a film. (I also have an aversion to paying more than about five quid to own a film, and one of the things I like about books is the portability and reread factor. I've reread the new comics plenty, I rewatch films a few times over the course of years.)

Quote:
"Escalation" is going to need to hit the ground running.
Particularly on the back of Stormbringer, rather than released side-by-side with Stormbringer.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote