View Single Post
Old 2010-03-13, 05:22 PM   #40
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFVanguard View Post
Hmm... going to go out on a limb here. I don't think Takara/Tomy has ever tried to make Transformers into a 'serious mecha' type series. I think the closest we got was Binaltech, which had little in the way of actual support. Certainly the bulk of the toylines are more kitsch, or odd-ball, and not really more 'hard core' like the very successful Gundam and Macross lines have been.
However, the bulk of the toylines are developed with Hasbro, who sensibly think about things like whether or not they'll be able to sell the toys they design to their target market.

The lines that are created exclusively for Japan are different, though. Either they make generic robot anime (Car Robots or Masterforce), niche market stuff (Device Label, the Disney TFs) or they try to compete in the 'serious mecha' market (Alternity, Masterpiece). Regardless of quality none of these ventures seem to be as successful as the main-line Hasbro stuff, which is what I was trying to get across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFVanguard View Post
Honestly, if Transformers were going to take more cues from Gundam and Macross, that would probably be a good thing overall. But I don't expect it to happen in the near future.
I really don't think it would. The people who want Gundam or Macross toys already buy Gundam or Macross toys. They're not going to switch allegiances and become Transfans if Transformers gets turned into a clone of those lines. On the other hand, it would be a great way to alienate the Geewun crowd. It probably wouldn't help much when it came to selling the toys to children, either.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote