View Single Post
Old 2010-04-22, 01:40 AM   #57
glazios
Occasional Cage-rattler

Rhondda Cynon Taff, S.Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Homages excuse everything - repaints of Cybertron figures, lack of articulation in modern figures, Animated, the lot. Indeed, if you can also namedrop whoever was responsible for said homage, you win the internet.
I guess that's what's mostly bothering me about this, that it is an homage, and doesn't offer much other than upgrading Hotrod's look to that of Rodimus Prime. I'll admit that it does that particularly well, but it's lacking the factor that drew me into going to such lengths to acquire the City Commander trailer that I did. Namely, that the set not only brought a much-needed upgrade to the toy, but in a sense also updated the look of the character of Ultra Magnus.

For me at least, the Protector trailer is lacking in that it only updates the toy, and does little for Rodimus's character. Although, personally, I don't remember there being all that much of a character to update; the way I remember him, Rodimus was little more than a self-piteous git who spent his time jumping to conclusions and whining about how he could never truly fill Optimus's shoes, instead of actually making a concerted effort to do something about it. Needless to say, I can't say I liked him very much.

Feel free to correct me, within reason, if I'm misinformed as to Roddy's aparent uselessness; I'll admit that I didn't get to read any of the Marvel comics material, much less those stories which featured Rodimus as a major player, and most of my views on his character are based on my impressions of the Season 3 run of the original G1 series. My views and statements above are likely to rattle a few cages, yes, but that's the impression that I get.

glazios is offline   Reply With Quote